Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 13 Jan 2019 22:40

people were openly cheering even in vr mall bengaluru...housefull crowd. i could only snag 3 seats in the 2nd row...even the first row was full.
I think it will become a big hit.

vipins
BRFite
Posts: 436
Joined: 12 Jun 2008 17:46

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby vipins » 13 Jan 2019 23:56

Singha wrote:watched URI film with the kids today. while it deviates a bit from the real events its still amazing piece of work. definitely all brfites should go and watch.

the first scene itself had 2 lights out Mi17 flying fast and low below the ridgelines into myanmar, twisting through the valleys....inside the cabin a dim red light showing two rows of pensive seated sf warriors loaded to the gunwales with tar21, m4, shipons, galil, dragunovs and NVG.....the light turns green for the drop zone and the action begins. brutal room by room and outdoor fighting and pulse pounding CQB with knives, fists, anything....

yami gautam as the mil intel officer and the lady playing the widowed mi17 pilot play restrained and sober roles. zero songs, zero BS. the life of paki elite is again shown in a hilariously true way - planning jihad against the kafir in office, whisky and shabaab at home, and kids studying in birmingham.

great job by all concerned. the actors playing NSA and Defmin look very similar.... soothing imagery we only got to see goras do, like ground control retasking satellites (RiSAT) to closely watch certain areas .... its a psychological change more than material..that of all arms of govt working as one.

deleted scene from the film


And there is DRDO as well with correct representation of general PSU boss behaviour.
First time saw everyone singing national anthem instead of just standing.

Kakarat
BRFite
Posts: 1477
Joined: 26 Jan 2005 13:59

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Kakarat » 14 Jan 2019 07:40

Unfortunately the film will be fighting with Rajinikanth in TN, the film is currently fighting 3 heavy weights & there are 2 rajini films in that

kancha
BRFite
Posts: 857
Joined: 20 Apr 2005 19:13

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby kancha » 14 Jan 2019 08:10

Kakarat wrote:Unfortunately the film will be fighting with Rajinikanth in TN, the film is currently fighting 3 heavy weights & there are 2 rajini films in that


FWIW

Sniper @avarakai

Chennai. Tamil Nadu.
#TheAccidentalPrimeMinister & #UriTheSurgicalStrike both movies are running housefull. All shows. No tickets available for the latter until Wednesday.
Wondering how ppl think Tamil Nadu is different from rest of India.
PS: Both are Hindi version.
Josh? ✊

Sniper @avarakai

Don't believe me? Go to @bookmyshow & Check out yourself. It is not about less screens either.
If that's not enough...now, let this sink in. A Rajnikanth movie and an Ajith movie are running these days too. Even after that, it is Housefull. Think.
Last edited by kancha on 14 Jan 2019 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kakarat
BRFite
Posts: 1477
Joined: 26 Jan 2005 13:59

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Kakarat » 14 Jan 2019 08:25

kancha wrote:
Kakarat wrote:Unfortunately the film will be fighting with Rajinikanth in TN, the film is currently fighting 3 heavy weights & there are 2 rajini films in that


FWIW

Sniper @avarakai

Chennai. Tamil Nadu.
#TheAccidentalPrimeMinister & #UriTheSurgicalStrike both movies are running housefull. All shows. No tickets available for the latter until Wednesday.
Wondering how ppl think Tamil Nadu is different from rest of India.
PS: Both are Hindi version.
Josh? ✊

Sniper @avarakai

Don't believe me? Go to @bookmyshow & Check out yourself. It is not about less screens either.
If that's not enough...now, let this sink in. A Rajnikanth movie and an Ajith movie are running these days too. Even after that, it is Housefull. Think.


Boss I am from chennai and I have been waiting for this film. you may say any thing but the no of screens is low. In the multiplex near me with 9 screens there is only one show of Uri and its the same allover chennai, before this Ghazi was released with not such competition and was shown in multiple languages on multiple screens. I am not saying anything against this film, I just want the film to be successful and enter the 100-200 cr club so that it motivates filmmakers into doing more films like this instead of glorifying gangsters and anti nationals.
Tami Nadu is not different from rest of India and hindi films are not hated here

Sorry for the OT discussion and this will be my last on this in this thread

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9922
Joined: 05 Apr 2006 16:25

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Aditya_V » 14 Jan 2019 10:31

Kakarat wrote:Unfortunately the film will be fighting with Rajinikanth in TN, the film is currently fighting 3 heavy weights & there are 2 rajini films in that


OT, are there people watching movies during Pongal, took a short road trip during the weekend, it seems the whole state is moving, Chengalpet toll took 15 mins to cross had to wait from 5:15 AM to %;30 :-?

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 12:20

Uri has clocked est Rs 37.63 crore in 3 days. 8+12+17 type workflow.
number of screens is much less than typical bollywood releases.

lot of burnol comments in usual quarters - MSM / BIF / SJW / fakenews/ buddhijeebi circuits :D

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 22338
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Austin » 14 Jan 2019 14:57

Was reading India Today latest issue which has interview with IA Chief worth reading the whole thing but 2 points that stand out

1 ) Shocked to know when Army Chief says 87 % of IA Budget expenditure is for OPEX which is Salaries,Fuel etc and just 13 % left of modernisation , if left unchecked in few years this will be 90 % will be OPEX and 10 % CAPEX

2 ) IA Chief has plans to increase OPEX assuming budget will be the same the plan is to reduce 50000 - 100000 troops and this will save around 5000-6000 Crore which can be used for modernisation

Lot of restructuring in the IA to make the teeth to tail ratio better and make it a agile fighting force , Actual Cold Start implementation is possible only if it is done else things remain on paper with work in progress thing.

For the rest need to read it in the IT issue.


Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 19:04

The tribune

Vijay Mohan
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, January 12

The Army’s repair and maintenance echelon will see a major shake-up this year with some establishments being shut down and others being handed over to private contractors.

Four Army base workshops (ABWs) will be corporatised on the government owned contractor operated (GOCO) model by April, according to information placed in Parliament by the Ministry of Defence recently. These are the 506 ABW at Jabalpur, 508 ABW at Allahabad, 510 ABW at Meerut and 512 ABW at Kirkee.



The remaining four workshops that include 505 ABW at Delhi, 507 ABW at Kankinari, 509 ABW at Agra and 515 ABW at Bengaluru would follow suit by December.

First established during the Second World War, seven ABWs are responsible for repairs and overhaul of weapons, vehicles and equipment, while the eight (515 ABW) is engaged in the indigenisation of spares and manufacture of simulators.

Under provisions of GOCO, mooted in 2017, the infrastructure and facilities of ABWs will remain under the ownership of the government while the contractors will be responsible for the day-to-day operations, plant maintenance and meeting targets. This is part of the government’s plan to rationalise Army manpower and reduce the “tail” as recommended by the Lt Gen DB Shekatkar committee.

Handing over ABWs to private contractors will result in a large number of technical officers up to the rank of Brigadier as well as other ranks as being moved out. Consequently, the control of these establishments is expected to move from Army Headquarters to the Ministry of Defence.

In addition, two Army Advance Base Workshops at Udhampur near Jammu and Narangi near Guwahati are to be closed down by March this year. The same month will also see the Static Workshop at Delhi being disbanded, according to the Ministry’s statement. Further, 29 out of the 31 station workshops are to be “optimised” by restructuring their administrative set up and redeploying manpower

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 19:05

Anyone know the size of these brd? Must be huge

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3732
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby JayS » 14 Jan 2019 20:28

Singha wrote:The tribune

Vijay Mohan
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, January 12

The Army’s repair and maintenance echelon will see a major shake-up this year with some establishments being shut down and others being handed over to private contractors.

Four Army base workshops (ABWs) will be corporatised on the government owned contractor operated (GOCO) model by April, according to information placed in Parliament by the Ministry of Defence recently. These are the 506 ABW at Jabalpur, 508 ABW at Allahabad, 510 ABW at Meerut and 512 ABW at Kirkee.



The remaining four workshops that include 505 ABW at Delhi, 507 ABW at Kankinari, 509 ABW at Agra and 515 ABW at Bengaluru would follow suit by December.

First established during the Second World War, seven ABWs are responsible for repairs and overhaul of weapons, vehicles and equipment, while the eight (515 ABW) is engaged in the indigenisation of spares and manufacture of simulators.

Under provisions of GOCO, mooted in 2017, the infrastructure and facilities of ABWs will remain under the ownership of the government while the contractors will be responsible for the day-to-day operations, plant maintenance and meeting targets. This is part of the government’s plan to rationalise Army manpower and reduce the “tail” as recommended by the Lt Gen DB Shekatkar committee.

Handing over ABWs to private contractors will result in a large number of technical officers up to the rank of Brigadier as well as other ranks as being moved out. Consequently, the control of these establishments is expected to move from Army Headquarters to the Ministry of Defence.

In addition, two Army Advance Base Workshops at Udhampur near Jammu and Narangi near Guwahati are to be closed down by March this year. The same month will also see the Static Workshop at Delhi being disbanded, according to the Ministry’s statement. Further, 29 out of the 31 station workshops are to be “optimised” by restructuring their administrative set up and redeploying manpower


Good move on reducing non-core activities. Until now I did not know that IA also had Farms...! They are closing down that entire department.

I am of the opinion that even the IAF BRDs should be disbanded and work be handed over to civilians. These are non-core activities for the AFs. They can be done in much more cost effective manner in civilian space. Only the day-to-day maintenance activities be kept in-house. Instead the AFs should focus on developing some high level technical capability through dedicated engineering cadre on design and program management side which could enable them to demand ownership of desi programs and to effectively manage them.

In Ben Rich's book, he has mentioned some of LM's experience with UASF in this context. I think this is applicable in Indian context as well to some extent. They have seen that the efficacy of civilians handling the repairs and overhauls is much better mainly because - the civilian technicians and engineers keep working in the same field for almost full life time and accumulate significantly better hands on experience than the AF personnel who tend to move around in the organization quite a bit spending much less time at specific technical activities.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 20:45

what do people think of the FAST helmet that all youtube paintball commando fanbois claim is the ultimate because SEALS use it? that mania probably started after 0-dark-30

Image

my opinion is very poor, as i feel it just opens the whole side of head for more artillery fragments in the field and grenade fragments in room by room fighting. better to cover as much of the head as possible I feel.

and some fanbois claim yindu with 2 tube nvg no match for tall wheat eaters with export controller 4 tube nvg, again from 0-dark-30 :mrgreen:

i have muh doubts on nvg use also since every solid terrorist is packing HE and flash bang grenades these days inside undies courtesy SSG stocks and "Daura-e-khas" trainings.

methinks we ought to provide our teams with heavier "satchel charges" which can bring down houses and more CG/Shipon weapons, lots of them. just crush these bugs using heavier standoff firepower if possible.

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 320
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby souravB » 14 Jan 2019 20:54

^^these are tactical helmets for very specific use cases, not for vanilla infantry. The ears are open to accommodate communication devices or in case of tank or aircraft operators communication/noise cancelling device.

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3732
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby JayS » 14 Jan 2019 21:06

Singha wrote:what do people think of the FAST helmet that all youtube paintball commando fanbois claim is the ultimate because SEALS use it? .


I think I saw picture of a Ghatak platoon member with this helmet on Twotter. Cant remember specific regiment. It does expose quite a bit of head area around ears, enough for a fatal bullet shot. But as souravB said they seems to be designed to be used with large COMM equiments filling that area.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 21:46

A 7.62mm bullet will pass through the headset
I hope our sf do not adopt this

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 320
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby souravB » 14 Jan 2019 22:07

Singha sir, current crop of ballistic helmets of any type whether ACH, PASGT, Tactical has a standard NIJ-IIIA rating which is good for 9mm from a few feet, shell fragments, BFTs and knife stabs. Multi shot performance and shelf life are made better using better materials, bolt free design etc. But this is the balance that is currently being struck between safety and weight. It may stop a 5.56 NATO from a considerable distance but that's about it. Any 7.62 caliber would pass through it.
That being said the tactical helmets for specOps are made lighter for a reason. To provide SFs all the freedom of movement. Infact SFs don't even wear helmets in many scenarios. If you see specOp assaults of US SOCOM, they wear helmets only during ops that require NVGs or other tactical hands free gears.

nam
BRFite
Posts: 1698
Joined: 05 Jan 2017 20:48

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby nam » 14 Jan 2019 22:24

The only thing that works against 7.62 is our patka. The TFTA Hollywood friendly helmets don't help save your life in real..

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 14 Jan 2019 22:32

Do nvg cast a eerie green backlight on the wearers face? Thats what could see in the film. Kind of hurts stealth?

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 320
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby souravB » 14 Jan 2019 22:45

There is a backlight on the screen but I think the screen is moved close to the eye with a cushion both surrounding the screen and provide some comfort during ops. There are some cinematic liberties everybody take. The devices are never On the eye rather Over the eye so that the actor retains normal vision for movement and the green light creates cinematic effect for the viewer to understand the NVG is working.

SBajwa
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4948
Joined: 10 Jan 2006 21:35
Location: Attari

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby SBajwa » 14 Jan 2019 23:39

JayS wrote:^^ This is not person specific. But rather on the organisation level, what people percieve them as a whole group. There are good and bad guys in all side. No one in sane mind would say all IAS/IPS are corrupt and bad and all AF soldiers/officers are cent percent honest and genuine. But the talk here is about the organisational ethos and the average characteristics that the respective sides have. Just have a look at some of the tweets coming from even the IAS association handle, let alone individual IAS or IPS officers which are mostly unprovoked. The venom they spew against AFs is unbelievable. In fact such kind of views against anyone would have been disgusting, let alone unacceptable.



IAF and IPS was created by Brit$shits to get money to top aka England. Till 2014 money stopped at Delhi before being distributed as decided the Lutyens gang aka Antonia Maino and Raul Vinci. Only Namo stopped it and is still trying his best to stop.

Without overhauling IAS/IPS it is extremely hard to fix this system. IAS/IPS needs to be cut in half (numbers) along with curtailing their powers and empowering local Panchayat and/or muncipality aka elected people should have more power.

Khalsa
BRFite
Posts: 1373
Joined: 12 Nov 2000 12:31
Location: NZL

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Khalsa » 15 Jan 2019 08:56

Singha wrote:Anyone know the size of these brd? Must be huge

Mega
Get your some details later

kancha
BRFite
Posts: 857
Joined: 20 Apr 2005 19:13

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby kancha » 15 Jan 2019 11:42

Austin wrote:Was reading India Today latest issue which has interview with IA Chief worth reading the whole thing but 2 points that stand out

1 ) Shocked to know when Army Chief says 87 % of IA Budget expenditure is for OPEX which is Salaries,Fuel etc and just 13 % left of modernisation , if left unchecked in few years this will be 90 % will be OPEX and 10 % CAPEX

2 ) IA Chief has plans to increase OPEX assuming budget will be the same the plan is to reduce 50000 - 100000 troops and this will save around 5000-6000 Crore which can be used for modernisation

Lot of restructuring in the IA to make the teeth to tail ratio better and make it a agile fighting force , Actual Cold Start implementation is possible only if it is done else things remain on paper with work in progress thing.

For the rest need to read it in the IT issue.


The skewed ratio between OPEX and CAPEX might also be a result of the defence budget which is quite low as a percentage of GDP. IIRC, the current financial year's allotment is 1.58% (Source) of GDP.
Thus, the current situation while meriting a reduction in OPEX no doubt, also merits a proportional increase in overall allotment for defence as a percentage of GDP.
JMTs

jpremnath
BRFite
Posts: 144
Joined: 18 Dec 2016 21:06

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby jpremnath » 15 Jan 2019 12:09

IMHO, it is pointless to take defense budget as % of GDP for a country whose govt revenues remain pitifully low at 12% of GDP (340B out of a GDP of 2.6T). If you consider % of budget, defense expenditure is at 13% (56B out of 410B expenditure).
For contrast you can compare our situation to that of UK whose GDP is practically same as ours (2.6T)...Their revenues were 810B$ with an expenditure of 842B$....double our size...So unless the tax revenue goes up, our budget size also remains low.

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3732
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby JayS » 15 Jan 2019 13:11

jpremnath wrote:IMHO, it is pointless to take defense budget as % of GDP for a country whose govt revenues remain pitifully low at 12% of GDP (340B out of a GDP of 2.6T). If you consider % of budget, defense expenditure is at 13% (56B out of 410B expenditure).
For contrast you can compare our situation to that of UK whose GDP is practically same as ours (2.6T)...Their revenues were 810B$ with an expenditure of 842B$....double our size...So unless the tax revenue goes up, our budget size also remains low.


We often forget another important point that is PPP optics. Because we still import a large chunk of equipment and even our desi programs also still import significant amount of content which we pay in USD, we fail to leverage our true PPP and we end up punching way below our weight. With 70:1 or 100:1 currency value difference we will never be able to compete with the likes of France whose defense needs are way below ours but who spend almost same amount as us in USD terms. Until we have a large scale component of equipment's being produced in Desh, we will never be able to match other big powers. It won't matter whether we spend 1.5% or 3% or even 6% of our GDP.

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3732
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby JayS » 15 Jan 2019 13:37

kancha wrote:
Austin wrote:Was reading India Today latest issue which has interview with IA Chief worth reading the whole thing but 2 points that stand out

1 ) Shocked to know when Army Chief says 87 % of IA Budget expenditure is for OPEX which is Salaries,Fuel etc and just 13 % left of modernisation , if left unchecked in few years this will be 90 % will be OPEX and 10 % CAPEX

2 ) IA Chief has plans to increase OPEX assuming budget will be the same the plan is to reduce 50000 - 100000 troops and this will save around 5000-6000 Crore which can be used for modernisation

Lot of restructuring in the IA to make the teeth to tail ratio better and make it a agile fighting force , Actual Cold Start implementation is possible only if it is done else things remain on paper with work in progress thing.

For the rest need to read it in the IT issue.


The skewed ratio between OPEX and CAPEX might also be a result of the defence budget which is quite low as a percentage of GDP. IIRC, the current financial year's allotment is 1.58% (Source) of GDP.
Thus, the current situation while meriting a reduction in OPEX no doubt, also merits a proportional increase in overall allotment for defence as a percentage of GDP.
JMTs


True. We need to maintain at least close to 2% for time being.

I am thinking aloud here so it might sound confusing. Though its good to follow this 2% thumb rule, we should really figure out our own matrix rather than following NATO rule blindingly. IMO we need much more than 2% but not necessarily all under the same head as what constitutes today as Defense budget.

Actual expenditure related to Defense is slightly over 3%. GOI has delinked expenses like pensions from usual defense budget. That hidden component is as large as the visible defense budget itself. At the end of the day GOI has to pay the money whichever head the money might be classified under. There is a huge increase in Pensions related expenditure in last 3yrs or so due to OROP. There is equal pressure on increase spending on areas like education, health, Infra and keep reducing fiscal deficit at the same time. Since the private investment cycle is not taking off still, GOI still needs to push more and more money in all areas. Which means there is little scope for increase in defense budget.

OTOH, one needs to look at nuisances in the way money is spent by MoD. The budgeted figure is misleading. If you look at the actual money spent, its even lower. MoD used to return 10-15k Cr money to MoF every year as unspent. That's quite a lot of money. Due to various reasons even the budgeted money is not spent completely. To the credit of current government, they have smoothened out a lot of wrinkles in how the money is spend. One may agree or disagree but MoD claims that there is no acquisition that is on hold just for the reason of lack of money. And they have increased RnD expenditure too significantly and forced DRDO to work on time bound execution of a lot of low key products which act as force multipliers apart from the usual big ticket Capital programs. Which will eventually increase the efficacy of money spent by AFs in future as they get cheaper equipment - more bang for the buck. OTOH GOI seems to have done some other stupid things like removing tax holiday on Defense related equipment which means AFs would have to spend more while the money merely exchanges from one hand of GOI to another without any real impact. Also we need some rational thinking on why DPSUs charge hefty margins on products sold to our own AFs..? Does HAL really need to take out 3000Cr profit out of 15-16k Cr Revenue and then give it back to GOI as dividends..? These kind of inefficiencies and inconsistencies need to be removed to increase effective utilization of money given to AFs or to DRDO.

I am just trying to say, using single number (% of GDP) is not a very good matrix. We need to have a comprehensive outlook on defense expenditure. Not only what we spend on our AFs but also what we spend in making weapons and other equipment.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 15 Jan 2019 15:56

:rotfl: burnol burnol - film is nearing 50cr after 4 days. budget was 25cr onree.

Dr Rita Pal
‏@dr_rita39
Jan 11
India couldn't even get two quadcopters ( toy) over the LoC and they want the universe to actually believe there was a #SurgicalStrike #URI in the absence of a UN confirmation.
Class act India. Keep paying Bollywood and taking selfies with Karan Johar.

--
Gabbbar
@GabbbarSingh
Jan 13
A non-khan movie is housefull despite poor ratings. Newspapers should fire these pretentious movie critics blinded by political partisanship #URI

Paresh Rawal (who played NSA)
@Babu_Bhaiyaa
Jan 13
There was a time when movies were reviewed on the basis of Script, Acting, Direction, Cinematography. Now movies are being reviewed on the basis of which govt is at centre.. and who is the PM. #URI

Kakarat
BRFite
Posts: 1477
Joined: 26 Jan 2005 13:59

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Kakarat » 15 Jan 2019 17:26

I am not getting ticket, limited shows and houseful for the entire week have to wait till next week

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17886
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby chetak » 15 Jan 2019 18:24

Dragunov Era Ends For Indian Army: 5,719 Modern Snipers To Be Procured From US, Italy To Replace Russian Rifle




Dragunov Era Ends For Indian Army: 5,719 Modern Snipers To Be Procured From US, Italy To Replace Russian Rifle

by Swarajya Staff - Jan 15 2019,



Image
Indian Army Marksman with SVD Dragunov (@indiandefence11/Twitter)

Indian will be getting 5,719 sniper rifles from different global vendors by January to replace its ageing Soviet-era Dragunov SVD rifles procured in the 1990s, Financial Express has reported.

“The Indian Army is getting sniper rifles from different vendors including Messers Beretta .338 Lapua Magmum Scorpio TGT of Italy and .50 Calibre Sniper Rifle M95 MS Barrett from the US. They are coming under the Buy Global category. The ammunition for these will be initially procured from abroad; subsequently it will be manufactured in India.” the report quoted sources as saying.

According to the report, the Ministry of Defence (MoD), in a deal worth $150 million, it had invited responses from global manufacturers last December to its request for proposals (RFP) for 5,719 number of 8.6 mm sniper rifles and 10.3 million rounds of ammunition for Indian Army and Indian Air Force.

The Russian Dragunov sniper rifle using 7.62x54-MMR catridge was acquired from Russia in early 1990s for the Indian Army. However, the rifles (800 m range) were not equipped with modern magnification and sight systems, bipod systems and their ammunition is very expensive.

Five million rounds of .338 Lapua Magnum ammunition will be license manufactured by India’s state owned ordinance factory board (OFB) and private sector manufacturers via transfer of technology.

Army Chief General Bipin Rawat, on Army day, had said that the northern command will soon be equipped with new sniper rifles from this month. “On January 20th the new snipers will come for the Northern Command.”

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6209
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Rakesh » 15 Jan 2019 20:42

Singha wrote::rotfl: burnol burnol - film is nearing 50cr after 4 days. budget was 25cr onree.

Dr Rita Pal
‏@dr_rita39
Jan 11
India couldn't even get two quadcopters ( toy) over the LoC and they want the universe to actually believe there was a #SurgicalStrike #URI in the absence of a UN confirmation.
Class act India. Keep paying Bollywood and taking selfies with Karan Johar.

How in heaven's name can one be like this? :-o

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17886
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby chetak » 15 Jan 2019 21:01

Rakesh wrote:
Singha wrote::rotfl: burnol burnol - film is nearing 50cr after 4 days. budget was 25cr onree.

Dr Rita Pal
‏@dr_rita39
Jan 11
India couldn't even get two quadcopters ( toy) over the LoC and they want the universe to actually believe there was a #SurgicalStrike #URI in the absence of a UN confirmation.
Class act India. Keep paying Bollywood and taking selfies with Karan Johar.

How in heaven's name can one be like this? :-o


papi pet ka sawal hai, sirji.

these folks have been hungry for so long now that they have become delirious.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17886
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby chetak » 15 Jan 2019 21:04

Beefing up borders


Beefing up borders
Tuesday, 15 January 2019



Govt clears 44 strategic roads along our boundary with China but we wish the nod had come earlier

Perhaps it is too little and too late in the day but the Modi Government has finally got round to doing what should have been done long ago, focus on building strategic advantage along the Indo-China border, something that matters a lot in diplomatic posturing and keeping ambitious neighbours in check. So the Centre has green-signalled the building of 44 “strategic roads” along the border with China and more than 2,100 km of axial and lateral roads in Punjab and Rajasthan, adjoining the Pakistan border. Given China’s ambitious Belt and Road Initiative, where the Chinese are bent on building economic, infrastructural, cultural and strategic contiguity with their border provinces and regional neighbours to ensure their overlordship through indebtedness of the smaller states, who can hardly repay Chinese loans or say no, the Indian counter is of utmost importance. More so considering that we share nearly a 4,000-km-long Line of Actual Control with China, touching sensitive areas from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh. Pakistan anyway reminds us of our porosity by pushing in infiltrators. Post-Doklam, when Indian and Chinese troops were engaged in a standoff over road-building on their border with Bhutan, China has been pushing road projects all along its borders with India, clearly with an intention to speedily mobilise troops and supplies during a conflict and seize the tactical advantage. Covertly, it is meant to coerce India into believing that China is the superior party given its organisational efficiency and strategic readiness and that we could be no match for it, whatever the reality might be. In fact, had it not been for the intransigence of our troops in Doklam, where China was trying to impose an altered reality by driving a wedge between Indian and Bhutan, the Chinese would not have held back.

Besides, the China-built roads have facilitated incursion into Indian territory to make us look vulnerable and blink first. The transgressions by the Chinese Army into Indian territory rose to 426 in 2017 from the 273 in 2016, as per government figures. If China is testing our tolerance threshold by following what is now known as its “salami-slicing” of sovereign neighbouring territories, then our push for border roads makes for the right optics in terms of point-scoring. These roads along the China border will undoubtedly facilitate a quicker mobilisation of troops during any stare-down conflict and keep us connected to the outlier areas, particularly parts of the Northeast. The two bridges on the Brahmaputra river that were completed over the last four years — the new Saraighat and Dhola Sadiya — have eased the prospect of both civil and military connectivity and ensured a peaceful life for both locals and the security establishment. Besides, we cannot overlook that China is building a huge dam on the tributary of Brahmaputra within its territory to further squeeze the Arunachal frontier and we need to be in readiness to counter such adventurism. In fact, India cannot afford gestation of ideas but needs to hit the ground running. Parliament’s Standing Committee on External Affairs has already warned how in key sectors, India is “dependent on single access routes, a risky proposition in times of conflict.” India can reply to China only if it has infrastructural connectivity in the region which also allows us to mainstream locals economically and socially. We may not need to pursue the offensive diplomacy of China but we can deliver a meaningful punch or two when needed rather than embarrassing ourselves.

Paul
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3482
Joined: 25 Jun 1999 11:31
Contact:

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Paul » 15 Jan 2019 21:47

Saw URI in the theatres today. Audiences were jingoistic and full of josh.

Special effects in first half were better than second half. Liked Rakesh Bedi's cameo role as ISI afsar. :D

Prem
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20939
Joined: 01 Jul 1999 11:31
Location: Weighing and Waiting 8T Yconomy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Prem » 15 Jan 2019 23:14

chetak wrote:
Rakesh wrote:How in heaven's name can one be like this? :-o


papi pet ka sawal hai, sirji.

these folks have been hungry for so long now that they have become delirious.

This old UK wali troll was fired from her job and hired by Paki.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6209
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Rakesh » 16 Jan 2019 01:09

^^^^ I just read through her twitter feed. WOW :eek: :roll:

https://twitter.com/dr_rita39?lang=id

JayS
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3732
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby JayS » 16 Jan 2019 01:20

Can someone please tell me, what ATAM is planned for our Apaches that we are buying..?

rkhanna
BRFite
Posts: 1101
Joined: 02 Jul 2006 02:35

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby rkhanna » 16 Jan 2019 01:31

Rakesh wrote:^^^^ I just read through her twitter feed. WOW :eek: :roll:

https://twitter.com/dr_rita39?lang=id


Honestly this to me looks like a troll account. Maybe the pakis are copying chicom strategy of paid sm workers.

Prem
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20939
Joined: 01 Jul 1999 11:31
Location: Weighing and Waiting 8T Yconomy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Prem » 16 Jan 2019 01:38

Rakesh wrote:^^^^ I just read through her twitter feed. WOW :eek: :roll:

https://twitter.com/dr_rita39?lang=id


Had wrestled with her long ago,she runs to Malleha Lodi with every slap she gets.

Bart S
BRFite
Posts: 1383
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:03

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Bart S » 16 Jan 2019 05:01

^This is just one of a network of fake accounts managed by the ISI or their fanboys like Ahmed Qureshi (remember the articles that he wrote under the name of Christina Palmer :lol: ). They generally tag each other and back each other up on various posts. Twitter being anonymous, anybody can create a fake profile. Only a very naive person will not see through it and take it seriously.

Funny thing is that it doesn't get the Pakis anything really other than lowering the IQ of their general populace.

For anybody who wants an insight into these delusional idiots and their crude propaganda attempts, this article (and the links within it) are a must-read:
https://tribune.com.pk/story/91026/purv ... f-fiction/ :rotfl:

Apologies for the OT.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 64033
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Postby Singha » 16 Jan 2019 07:40

I read the nsg is using fn scar rifles have even seen a pic of it. I know they have hk and sig also. The pic i saw looked like the 7.62mm bigger scar H model

Is our para regt and para sf batts using anything other than galil sniper , m4 and tar21 ? I expect sniper rifles they sill have older dragunovs and newer imports also


Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests