India at Commonwealth Games
Official Website Of The XX Commonwealth Games 23 July - 3 August
Let’s now look at the 9 disciplines in which India is expected to win medals and retain their second spot -
1. Gymnastics – India would be hoping for a Gold medal from Ashish Kumar when he gets to the floor in Glasgow. Ashish had won silver and a bronze in the men’s floor exercises and vault in the 2010 Games in Delhi.In women’s draw India’s hopes for a medal rely on Dipa Karmakar.
2. Men Boxing – Here again India would be hoping to better their tally of seven medals which they won in the previous edition of CWG. India would be looking to better this number and they have the team to succeed. The medal prospects for India in Men Boxing include – Vijender Singh, L Devendro Singh, Manoj Kumar and Sumit Sangwan.
3. Women Boxing – The women boxing is making a debut in CWG. The Indian medal prospects in this event are Pinki Jangra, who qualified ahead of star boxer Mary Komand will compete in 51 kg category, Sarita Devi in 60 kg and Pooja Rani in 75 kg category.
4. Athletics –India would be competing in both men and women athletic events and has high hopes from Krishna Poonia who won gold in Women’s discus throw in Delhi CWG to repeat the heroics. The country is hoping for a better show from its largest team in the event and medals are expected from Vikas Gowda in Men’s Discus throw, Kamalpreet Singh in Men’s Hammer throw, Annu Rani in Women’s Javelin throw and from men’s 4 x 400 Relay team that comprises of Rajiv Arokia, Kunhu Mohammed, Sachin Roby, Lalit Mathur, Jithu Baby, Jibin Sebasti.
5. Shooting – This is one event where India would be hoping to strike rich and better its tally of 14 gold, 11 silver and 5 bronze medals, the team won in Delhi four years back. Vijay Kumar, India’s Olympic silver medalist pistol shooter, Gagan Narang and Omkar Singh are all expected to better their individual tally of three medals each, they won in last CWG. Medals are also expected from Abhinav Bindra and Manavjit Singh Sandhu in men’s event and Heena Sidhu,Meena Kumari and Anisa Sayyed in women’s event.
6. Table Tennis–India’s challenge in table tennis will be spearheaded by Sharath Kamal, a gold medalist in the last two commonwealth games. Sharath will be assisted by Soumyajit Ghosh and Harmeet Desai in the men’s event. India’s challenge in the women’s category will be led by K. Shamini.
7. Badminton -India is pinning their hopes on P V Sindhu and the pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa to replicate their success in badminton that they achieved in 2010.
8. Wrestling– This is the most anticipated event from the Indian point of view. The Indian contingent is led by two time Olympic medalist Sushil Kumar and bronze medalist at the London Olympics Yogeshwar Dutt. The team also has both,Pawan Kumar and Satyavart Kadian, who won gold at Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in South Africa last year. In Women’s category India’s hope rest on Babita Phogat.
9. Weightlifting – India would be looking to add on to their total of 8 medals they won in last CWG. Leading their campaign would be Katulu Ravi Kumar and Sukhen Dey in men’s category and Sanjita Chanu and Vandna Gupta in women’s category.
Commonwealth Games 2014: 9 reasons why India will retain the second spot at Glasgow