Indian Military Aviation - 21 Sept 2015

ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation - 21 Sept 2015

Post by ramana »

X-posting for comments....
Cosmo_R wrote:
ramana wrote:Cosmo_R, I can see the forging being whittled from 27 kg to 3.1 kg due to machine allowances. Most of the raw stock will have surface cracks etc., and need to get to the core metal. I don't know about the tail component. It could be a product of the layout that ends up using the large bar/plate stock.

Standard nuts, bolts and screws are not enough. They are the most failure prone hardware. If you don't want planes falling from the sky I would not cut corners there.
Ramana, agreed about not cutting corners. 1.0 My point however, is that if we are importing nuts, bolts and screws what is the point of assembling the planes under a 'deep ToT'? What have we actually learned from the license we purchased?

2.0 Similarly, why are we importing titanium bars and plates and then whittling them down when instead we could just have imported the finished items as inventory? Price-wise, the unit costs would be much lower. What will learn from machining titanium parts that are SU 30 specific? Is this skill transferable to other projects down the line?

3.0 If a run of 300+ SU-30s is too small to support a supply chain in India as the article implies, we'll never have the ecosystem we seek. Even 300 LCAs won't support its ecosystem. We'll be starting from ground zero unlike Irkutsk's larger base.

As to the FGFA killing the AMCA, I mean it in financial terms. 4.0There's no way we can fund Rafales, the SU 30 upgrade, 300 LCAs, AMCA, FGFA—not to mention the gap filler 'single-engined' fighter. That's just the fighters. We also have tankers, trainers and transport aircraft to induct. In the end, the IAF will be told to choose and it will choose what will come first given its budget. Perhaps that's why it was making such a noise about the FGFA vs. Rafale
I added numbers to your points and will reply to them as they merit it.
1.0) Aerospace grade fasteners are very specialty item. Even in US only one or two fastener makers are there. Titanium alloy fasteners and its compatriot high strength(>160ksi) alloy steel for grounding are not run of the mill Sundaram Fasteners make. So due to the limited run imports have to happen.

2.0) Importing titanium bars and plates is raw stock. Nowadays mfg. cost is equal to that of raw materials. So by whittling them down from bar stock, India is adding value to the metal and cutting costs. Machining Ti is a transferable skill. Its the basis for aerospace structures.

3.0) Yes 300 planes run is very small and both IAF and MoD have to understand cannot sustain an industrial base. IAF needs to cut down on multiple types in penny packets and go for large numbers to achieve a viable supply chain. Also think of supplying the planes to neighboring countries and allies : Asia, Africa, South America. Run has to be a minimum 1000-1200 planes. And NaMo is trying to achieve second aircraft mfg supplier to create a viable aerospace supply chain infrastructure.

4.) Chanakya fifth axiom is if you want peace prepare for war. So its expensive. If India doesn't do all that then the nuke threshold gets lowered. We don't want that.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Not sure if this was posted earlier or not.the IAF alone has clocked 100,000 hours on the Hawks. The IN would've clocked a few thousand of its own.

IAF marks 100,000 flight hours on Hawk AJT
BENGALURU, India --- The Hawk Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT) has clocked 100,000 hours of flying hours with the Indian Air Force (IAF). BAE Systems, the makers of Hawk Mk132 AJT termed the achievement as an ‘important milestone’ and a compelling story of success.

BAE quoted Steve Timms, Managing Director, Defence Information, Training and Services saying: “Hawks provide new generation training to next generation air warriors and delivering our commitment to Make in India in partnership with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The Indian Air Force is one of the largest operators of the Hawk globally and we wish its air warriors safe landings.”

The IAF operates Hawks based out of Air Force Station in Bidar in Karnataka.

The IAF also has its Surya Kiran aerobatic display team now flying the Hawks. The team’s first public display on four Hawks was at AFS Hindon during Air Force Day celebrations in 2015.

Since November 2016, the team has added two more jets to the display team and eventually the strength will be raised to nine.

BAE credits the latest milestone to the longstanding association with the IAF and HAL.

“Together, BAE Systems and HAL are committed to strengthen their relationship through ongoing discussions on exploring long-term sustainable business opportunities, globally,” says a company release.

For HAL, often at the receiving end for cost and time overruns, the Hawk programme set new benchmarks. The Hawk team at HAL has been credited with sticking to the deadline and even finishing the deliveries ahead of schedule.

Riding on the success of Hawk production, HAL has even now replicated the same philosophies for the Tejas production line.

“Some of the best production lessons from the Hawk line is already been adopted at the new LCA Division. The jigs, the structural and assembly lines have drawn inspiration from the Hawk model,” says a DGM with HAL’s Tejas Division.

BAE says it continues to work with HAL towards the successful completion of a potential order to supply products and services for the manufacture of a third batch of Hawks, building upon previous orders of 66 aircraft in 2004 and a further 57 aircraft in 2010.

The Indian Navy operates around 17 Hawks, mostly based out of INS Dega in Visakhapatnam.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kartik: The above confirms that HAL's production philosophy has improved with the lessons learnt from the Hawk line. That is a great achievement. Kudos.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If only LCA production by HAL also made quick progress,we wouldn't need yet another ancient hag from the US to add to the "single-engined" inventory!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

TOI - 1st emb145 has cleared all tests and certifications and will be inducted by IAF end of month. 2nd is undergoing tests. 3rd is some way from completion.

this will be followed by awacs on A330 which is a 7 yr proj per drdo sources.

as usual the TOI article without assessing anything in depth does a numbers play and since TSP has 4+4=8 and Cheen has more, hence india is weak weak
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Wasn't the plan earlier to give 2 to IAF and keep one for DRDO to continue research?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

New Delhi: Frontline Indian Air Force base in Hasimara in West Bengal is likely to be one of the bases for a Rafale squadron, informed sources said on Friday.
The first squadron is likely to be based at the Sarsawa base in Uttar Pradesh. One more base for the third squadron remains to be identified.
Each of these IAF squadrons will have 12 Rafale fighter jets.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Hasimara is just below Bhutan border.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Singha wrote:New Delhi: Frontline Indian Air Force base in Hasimara in West Bengal is likely to be one of the bases for a Rafale squadron, informed sources said on Friday.
The first squadron is likely to be based at the Sarsawa base in Uttar Pradesh. One more base for the third squadron remains to be identified.
Each of these IAF squadrons will have 12 Rafale fighter jets.
IAF is changing its usual squadron strength for the Rafales? 36 aircraft would usually be only 2 squadrons.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

We have a Rafale thread. Can we please continue this discussion there?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7266&start=40
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I had an 'aha' moment which I wanted to share.

I have struggled in to understand the need for a 3 aircraft training system in modern times. Modern turboprops are high performance enough and advanced jet trainers are docile enough to provide the necessary overlap for the transition. And then I came across the name of M-345 HET (High-Efficiency Trainer) which just had its first flight. A bulb went on: Just like a Su-30 can do the job of an LCA, but is not efficient in doing so. Similarly, the AJT can be used to do the job of the IJT, but is not efficient in doing so. That's why the M-345 and the M-346, the Albatross and the Alca, the HJT-36 and HJT-39.

So, godspeed HJT-36.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Indranil wrote:I had an 'aha' moment which I wanted to share.

I have struggled in to understand the need for a 3 aircraft training system in modern times. Modern turboprops are high performance enough and advanced jet trainers are docile enough to provide the necessary overlap for the transition. And then I came across the name of M-345 HET (High-Efficiency Trainer) which just had its first flight. A bulb went on: Just like a Su-30 can do the job of an LCA, but is not efficient in doing so. Similarly, the AJT can be used to do the job of the IJT, but is not efficient in doing so. That's why the M-345 and the M-346, the Albatross and the Alca, the HJT-36 and HJT-39.

So, godspeed HJT-36.
There is one other reason I think. There are differences between prop/engine management and jet engine management and cadets must know both - as they may go on to a stream that could be jets or props.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I think I was not clear. I am saying that future IAF training program should be three tiered: BTT-IJT-AJT. One can learn jet management on an AJT, but why use a high performance machine for simpler tasks. I have heard that currently in HAL, all design hands are on board the HTT-40. I can understand, given the urgency.

Actually, the glory days of HAL from the 70s and 80s has withered. People with design expertise have retired. They have to rebuild design expertise from scratch. I am hoping HTT-40, HJT-36 and HJT-39 will help them get there. I am also hoping that LCA Mk1A and AF-Mk2 is left to them.

HAL's helicopter design team, on the other hand, is world class.

On the civil aircraft front, they should buy refine a good design which almost got there but never saw the light of day. For example, Fairchilds 528/728/928 are wrongly placed within ATR, Indonesian N-235/245/275s is another candidate, Antonov's designs could be another and AFAIK on offer. In the slightly larger category, Kawasaki might want to collaborate on the YPX. No matter what HAL chooses, it is has to move fast now. TASL is closing the gap really fast. When it starts producing the C-295s, it would have started assembling large aircrafts which HAL hasn't done for decades.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

when flying props you have to learn how to manage the yaw due to the prop
a jet doesn't have that yaw effect and is generally much more powerful so the types of manouevres are also different
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

shiv wrote:There is one other reason I think. There are differences between prop/engine management and jet engine management and cadets must know both - as they may go on to a stream that could be jets or props.
Valid point.

In IAF, the stream separation (fighter, transport and helicopter) happens after 2nd stage. So, AJT are used for training pilots who're selected for the fighter stream. The aircraft and syllabus are optimized towards producing a pilot who can transition into true blue fighters.

At the same time, a pilot going to transport stream would've also been exposed to jet engine management - something he is likely to come across if flying an IL-76 or C-17.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

good to see HAL and MOD taking advantage of even small indic cos for stuff like autonomous systems rather than keeping such activity as "core"

http://navstik.org/about/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is a prop as suspectible to stall as a jet . I see that aerobatic prop planes do incredible things that jets cannot dream of.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:is a prop as suspectible to stall as a jet . I see that aerobatic prop planes do incredible things that jets cannot dream of.
Stall is about airspeed over wings, not power plant type. But those aerobatics aircraft with props have very high power weight ratios that helps them recover from impossibly low speed situations. There is another point that I am less sure about. Piston (internal combustion) engines keep running whether or not air is being rammed into the intakes - unlike turbos that can flame out at low speeds. I think many of the best aerobatic prop aircraft are piston engine powered - but I have not really checked to see if what I am saying is accurate or not
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

airflow into intakes can stall at specific angles, but don't forget that jets are turbines and they suck in air - so unless the inlet is choked they will keep running and it is difficult to choke an inlet for long
piston engines are difficult to stall through airflow reasons - but can and will for fuel flow problems

low speed piston engine aircraft can perform amazing tricks - because they are designed to fly at lower speeds and have different lift/drag characteristics than jet aircraft. jet engine efficiency at low speeds is terrible, so they are usually not designed to fly slowly
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Singha wrote:is a prop as suspectible to stall as a jet . I see that aerobatic prop planes do incredible things that jets cannot dream of.
You mean Engine Stall or Aero stall for the Aircraft...??
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the engine can stall
the prop can stall
the airframe or bits of the airframe can stall
it all depends on speed, angle, momentum, thrust...
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Indranil wrote:I had an 'aha' moment which I wanted to share.

So, godspeed HJT-36.
Even France is going for a 3 tier training

http://aviationweek.com/defense/more-de ... f91b18e080
LYON, France—Under a contract announced last week with Babcock Mission Critical Services, the French air force will use the Pilatus PC-21 turboprop at an intermediate phase of fighter pilot training, with the Alpha Jet keeping a role between the PC-21 and the Rafale combat aircraft.

The first phase of training, using Grob 120 piston singles, remains unchanged. Phases two and three, which currently use piston-powered Socata TB-30 Epsilons and Alpha Jets, will be merged into a single phase thanks to the 17 PC-21s, a French air force spokesman tells Aviation Week. The last phase before flying on an actual fighter will still be based on the Alpha Jet.

In addition to future fighter pilots, instructors will use the PC-21s and the CAE simulators to maintain their proficiency in case they need to become full-time Rafale pilots.

The first PC-21 delivery is scheduled for March 2018. All remaining 16 aircraft are expected to be handed over in the same year, the spokesman says. The transition to the new training scheme is planned to be completed in 2020. The French air force will own the aircraft and PC-21 instructors will be military personnel.

France’s Fomedec contract is for Babcock to provide training support for 11,000-13,500 flight hours per year. The current fleet of 108 Alpha Jets will be reduced, with 40 withdrawn from service. Epsilons will also be retired by 2020.

All PC-21 training activity will take place in Cognac, in the center west of the country.
Babcock has also announced it is forming a joint company with Dassault. The airframer’s role will be to ensure the PC-21’s cockpit reflects the Rafale’s as closely as possible.

An exhaustive list of the contenders in the “competitive dialogue” process is unavailable from the French Ministry of Defense. But according to the Defense committee of the French parliament, it included DCI and Airbus. The latter company also used the PC-21 as the platform for its bid, an industry source said.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Rajat Pandit ‏@rajatpTOI 2h2 hours ago
IAF chief Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa flies MiG-21 solo from Uttarlai airbase in Rajasthan

Rajat Pandit ‏@rajatpTOI 7m7 minutes ago
It's not often that an IAF chief flies a fighter solo, and that too a MiG-21

Indian Air Force ‏@IAF_MCC 31s32 seconds ago
Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa flies a MiG -21Type 96 fighter aircraft at Air Force Station Utarlai

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Great to see the chief fly this great aircraft! Salutamus ACM DHanoa!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Another picture from the same episode above...
https://twitter.com/IAF_MCC/status/819523800937205760
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IAF Chief flies MiG 21
http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/ind ... -1.1649148
MiG-21 Type-96 aircraft is the oldest fighter fleet in the IAF inventory and Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa flew the same aircraft during Kargil operations.
I am not sure if the reporter meant he flew the same type of aircraft during Kargil or whether he flew the same exact aircraft during Kargil.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Same type.

PIB report
The Air Chief Marshal flew MiG-21 Type-96 aircraft solo, which is the oldest fighter fleet in the IAF inventory. Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa flew the same type of aircraft during Kargil Operations and carried out many night strike missions in the mountainous terrain. He was awarded Yudh Sewa Medal for these gallant acts.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Now, that's an air chief. Instant respect!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Haven't seen this being reported earlier. 'Dove grey' instead of 'Tipnis grey'

DRDO develops new coatings for combat aircraft
February 9, 2015: Importing the special paint coating for combat aircraft for decades, the Indian armed forces will soon have an indigenously developed special coating that its developer, the DRDO, says will have better performance as well as be more cost effective. All special coatings for aircraft are currently imported, the recognisable 'grey', known in IAF circles as Tipnis Grey, after the former chief who chose the precise shade.

The DRDO is currently in the process of getting the special coating certified by the Center for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC) in Bengaluru before offering it to the IAF, Indian Navy and other operators of enforcement aircraft. The colour has been described as 'dove grey' and is said to better imported coatings in terms of not just cost, but also abrasion resistance, impact resistance, flexibility, scratch hardness, elongation and adhesion. The DRDO believes that once the coating is certified, it will be welcomed into the IAF and Indian Navy immediately. The coating will also be used for unmanned aerial systems and helicopters currently in service, as also cruise missiles and other weapons depending on requirement. In a related development, to dissipate the static charge developed due to atmospheric conditions on the radome surfaces of aircraft, the DRDO has developed an anti-static coatings to help performance.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

The IAF is facing the ignominy of its former Chief being questioned and arrested in a bribery case, which would impact the morale of the troops. The new Chief by doing what he did has sent out a message to everyone - his troops, mango-Indians and naysayers.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Its evolving to be just like in banking "industry" where a revolving door between govt jobs and bankster jobs has emerged to corrupt everything from the Treasury dept to even the Justice dept. Anyone in govt who does not prosecute bankster fraud and who gives banksters taxpayer bailouts is handsomely rewarded with a job in a bank once he/she leaves the govt job.

Same sh*t going on in the defense industry and probably every other industry where there's money to be made buying people entrusted by the nation.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Neshant wrote:Its evolving to be just like in banking "industry" where a revolving door between govt jobs and bankster jobs has emerged to corrupt everything from the Treasury dept to even the Justice dept. Anyone in govt who does not prosecute bankster fraud and who gives banksters taxpayer bailouts is handsomely rewarded with a job in a bank once he/she leaves the govt job.

Same sh*t going on in the defense industry and probably every other industry where there's money to be made buying people entrusted by the nation.
True but thats the nature of game and we are new to this. 10-15 years back we didnt had so many MNC competing for indian defence shares , A chief or General would probably end with some defence think tank post retirement ....Now there are lot of incentives for post job retirement no one wants to join a think tank that wont earn much , a small favour for these corporate mnc would mean they might end up heading indian arm of these mnc or get employed in advisory role with handsome reward. For better or worse this trend will just increase in years and decades ahead.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Indranil wrote:Now, that's an air chief. Instant respect!
Indeed a man of action, must be quickly wanting to get one quick flight before he begins his attack on the paperwork.
:D
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Any news of upcoming Aero India and the roster of the show? Been awfully quiet...its probably around a month away. Should be buzzing with news articles...at least on BRF :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kartik wrote:Same type.

PIB report
Thanks Kartik! Livefist has posted an article on the ACM`s flight...

What The IAF Chief’s MiG-21 Sortie Really Meant
http://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/01/ ... meant.html
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jan 12, 2017 :: More Rafales for India Still Likely

Contrary to some previous indications, India is considering an additional 36 Dassault Rafales, a senior Ministry of Defence official said. The contract is likely to be signed in 2019 with deliveries to start by 2022, when the existing $8.8 billion order for 36 Rafales is completed, AIN has learned from sources close to the long-running procurement process. The two orders would add five squadrons of new fourth-generation fighters to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Army Aviation – The Arm of the Future?
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news ... he-future/

By Lt Gen BS Pawar - former Head of the Army Aviation Corps and Commandant School of Artillery
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

✈Anantha Krishnan M ✈‏@writetake
HAL rolls out first indigenously upgraded Hawk-i to be displayed at #AeroIndia2017.

^IJT in the back.

From Shiv Aroor -

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

From AW&St- an update on the progress of Hawks being built by HAL for the IAF and IN. Interesting that the pilots can now configure and select the cockpit HMI to replicate different airplanes. Will be a very useful feature in training rookies to go straight to squadrons with different types.

In the Hawk upgrade program, imported mission computer and data transfer units have been substituted for HAL-designed and developed systems.

“The indigenous mission computer in the dual-redundant configuration has additional capabilities such as digital map generation, which provides improved situational awareness," a HAL spokesman says. "The embedded virtual training system offers improved training capability over the existing system. The Hawk-i also provides secured voice communication and data link capability by integration of Softnet radio, and pilots can configure and select cockpit human-machine interface for different aircraft platforms.”

BAE initially secured an order in March 2004 for 66 trainers for the Indian air force (IAF), including 24 off-the-shelf from its facility, with the remaining 42 to be license-produced by HAL. The first HAL-built aircraft was handed over to the IAF in August 2008. HAL and BAE signed another deal to manufacture 40 more Hawks for the IAF in July 2010 after delivering the 42 aircraft by 2012. Of the 40 aircraft, HAL has so far produced 25 and will be completing the project by year’s end. HAL also is making 17 Hawk AJTs and associated equipment for the Indian navy, of which it has produced 11, with the rest due to be completed by year's end.
So 15 more Hawks for the IAF and 6 for the IN, all to be delivered by the year's end. Following that, HAL may try and interest the IAF in an upgrade to the oldest Hawks in service to the Hawk i standard.