Indian Nuclear Submarines -3

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Nuclear Submarines -3

Post by Pratyush »

This is OT for the thread.

More than anything else. We need to get the number of ships right.

We also need to imagination to make do with the industrial and design capacities in the nation.

E.g nothing prevented the Indian Navy to try and design an SSN arround the 83 MW power plant already developed in India. But the Navy decided to wait for the mythical 190 MW reactor and French assistance for our SSN.

Secondly, as our global trade rises. Not only do we need the ability to deal with PRC. But also also require the ability to protect our shipping from international pirates, and unfriendly state backed actors arround the world.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

Pratyush wrote: 01 Apr 2024 16:24 also require the ability to protect our shipping from international pirates, and unfriendly state backed actors arround the world.
Pratyush, I don't think nuke subs do anything to scare anyone away. As you know, sleepy Joe had sent a Ohio class sub to the middle East early in the Israel - Hamas fight and what it's presence has achieved is debatable... because just like we (India) regularly kick the pakis while under the nuclear umbrella, there are others who are willing to do likewise...as the Houthi menace has shown.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Pratyush wrote: 01 Apr 2024 16:24 E.g nothing prevented the Indian Navy to try and design an SSN arround the 83 MW power plant already developed in India. But the Navy decided to wait for the mythical 190 MW reactor and French assistance for our SSN.
Mango man post ---> SSNs like Los Angeles Class has about 6-7K ton weight has 150+ MW engines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S6G_reactor

I seriously doubt we can have any SSN less than that weight with all the food and other things and the engine power may be needed proportionate to that.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Yagnasri,

Nearly all the western first and second generation SSN were below 5000 tons. With nearly a 100 strong crew and 70 plus days of sub sea endurance.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

sajaym wrote: 01 Apr 2024 17:04

Pratyush, I don't think nuke subs do anything to scare anyone away. As you know, sleepy Joe had sent a Ohio class sub to the middle East early in the Israel - Hamas fight and what it's presence has achieved is debatable... because just like we (India) regularly kick the pakis while under the nuclear umbrella, there are others who are willing to do likewise...as the Houthi menace has shown.
I am not thinking in terms of an SSN as a trade protection asset. I am advocating for a large fleet as our global trade rises.

Which is why I said that I was going OT.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

sajaym wrote: 01 Apr 2024 17:04
Pratyush wrote: 01 Apr 2024 16:24 also require the ability to protect our shipping from international pirates, and unfriendly state backed actors arround the world.
That ohio is a massive conventional cruise missile carrier with 22 tubes, each with 7 Tomahawk cruise missiles, totaling 154 missiles.. they are the tip of the spear for strikes. Its purpose is offense especially if going after Iran.