Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sum
BRF Oldie

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by sum »

Manish_P wrote:I have'nt seen the movie myself yet, but noticed that there is some polite blue-on-blue among ex-IA folk/MOD on twitter w.r.t the movie

Some apprehensions of some SOPs being compromised increasing the risks for future OPs and secondly for it giving too much credit to the current GOI rather than military

Aren't military themed movies cleared by the MOD as well, in addition to the censor board?
Saar, in India show me one topic on which atleast 500 people wont have objections/hurt sentiments/expert recommendations?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

True sir and it will not be just India :)

On Twitter (an ideal platform for letting your ego pick needless fights) i have found that our military personnel, without exception, both serving and retired are very polite, courteous, humble.

Checking again, i see that the disagreement (it was too polite to qualify as an argument) i mentioned was between a retired MOD official and a retired IA Colonel. So perhaps not blue-on-blue, rather indigo-on-blue.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Manish_P wrote:On Twitter (an ideal platform for letting your ego pick needless fights) i have found that our military personnel, without exception, both serving and retired are very polite, courteous, humble.
Are you including Ajai Shukla in this group?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

I have not engaged with said gentleman on Twitter.

Many years ago I had an exchange, a very brief one, on his blog. He was patiently courteous.

Maybe I was lucky :)
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Manish_P wrote:I have'nt seen the movie myself yet, but noticed that there is some polite blue-on-blue among ex-IA folk/MOD on twitter w.r.t the movie
secondly for it giving too much credit to the current GOI rather than military

Aren't military themed movies cleared by the MOD as well, in addition to the censor board?
Some time the men and women in OG take themselves too seriously and miss the woods for the trees......I remember I was talking about Media Management to a group of officers after the Gulf War and got really exasperated that they did not understand that to 99% of journos armed forces news will compete with other stuff like robberies and suicides (in India) etc unless there is something really sensational or something simple will be twisted to make something newsworthy to fill the space between the ads.
Don't get angry, get even and manage them was my refrain...
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

May be OT, but even soundtracks or uri movie are very good too. Heard them on youtube a day back and found 2 out of 4 tracks exceptional and rest 2 tracks good too
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Watched the film 2 days ago. It was good film.

As far as I am concerned. Accurately capturing publically available information on the topic. Clasdified information I don't know enough to comment on.

Considering that it is a film, a few artistic licences were taken and that's ok to build and further the plot narrative.

So a good Hindi film in nearly all respects.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Joined the "uri" club finally. Watched it yesterday in one of the smaller metros which incidentally is also the capital of a mid size state. 85% occupancy on a working day afternoon show and this is after almost 3 weeks. If this is not great, then I do not know what is. If only it was released on more screens, it would have easily crossed Rs 500 cr. Interestingly some of the watchers were explaining the story beforehand to their friends/colleagues/family etc which meant they were repeat watchers.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Uri is one of a kind war hindi movie where director is not trying to send nonsense peace message. This movie, like in real life, end in triumph and actually no one dies. That is refreshing change. Otherwise all patriotic movies recently were about sacrifices and loss. I am simply fed up of those. No one is going to watch manikarnika... another indian loss and sacrifice movie. Its like Bollywood only knows stories where we lost and glorify deaths. too much of it. enough already. Uri is simply "high josh".
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

'Uri: The Surgical Strike' box office collection Day 19: The Vicky Kaushal and Yami Gautam starrer is rock steady even in its third week
:
:
According to the latest report by BoxofficeIndia.com, on its third Tuesday, the film has raked in a total of Rs 3.25 crore on its nineteenth day at the box office. The film has managed to collect almost Rs 30 crore till now in its third week. The film is rock steady with hardly any drop from the previous day. The film has till now managed to collect a total of Rs 163.74 crore at the box office in nineteen days.

The third-week collection is expected to cross Rs 35 crore and then the race to Rs 200 crore mark will be on with the fourth Friday being very crucial. If the film crosses the Rs 200 crore mark, it will become the first film to do so which has been produced and released with a cost of under Rs 50 crore.
:
:
:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

BSF @ wagah border has given a memento to yami gautam for her role

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ent ... 755763.cms
Mukhi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mukhi »

Uri-fied last night. Large Auditorium, about quarter full. Lot more young, in 20s in attendance. Worth watching. Josh is high.
wasu
BRFite

Post by wasu »

Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Watched Uri. Fantastic movie & the screenplay was taut! It was a weekday and the theatre was 30% full. Audience behind me was shouting "How is the josh?"

Only gripe is that the "72 houri" dialogue has been modified.

Want to watch it again. Friend has taken his family for 2nd time.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

VinodTK wrote:'Uri: The Surgical Strike' box office collection Day 19: The Vicky Kaushal and Yami Gautam starrer is rock steady even in its third week
:
:
According to the latest report by BoxofficeIndia.com, on its third Tuesday, the film has raked in a total of Rs 3.25 crore on its nineteenth day at the box office. The film has managed to collect almost Rs 30 crore till now in its third week. The film is rock steady with hardly any drop from the previous day. The film has till now managed to collect a total of Rs 163.74 crore at the box office in nineteen days.

The third-week collection is expected to cross Rs 35 crore and then the race to Rs 200 crore mark will be on with the fourth Friday being very crucial. If the film crosses the Rs 200 crore mark, it will become the first film to do so which has been produced and released with a cost of under Rs 50 crore.
:
:
:
If uri has just completed 200 cr I am wondering how do khan movies complete 300+crs just like that????My suspicion is that there is a lot of money laundering that happens. I was gurgaon when MSG was realeased. The movie was apparently minting money but the hall when i went in there was empty. The guy asked me if i am a bhakt of baba.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Uri has made 250 crores world wide.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Saw URI in late night show on the weekend in Dubai.

Almost full theatre. And even in Dubai the Josh is High.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

ArjunPandit wrote: If uri has just completed 200 cr I am wondering how do khan movies complete 300+crs just like that????My suspicion is that there is a lot of money laundering that happens.
selling rights of distribution with twice the price which in turn causes releasing on almost twice as many number of theaters with twice as many number of screenings+selling song rights at more price+official merchandise where actors wear or endorse certain company's product+some number fudging to create the aura of high selling to attract people. Basically brand sells. This is one of the reasons producers want Khans in their movies cz even if the movie flops, they still make money. Probably more money than with a hit movie casting unknown actors.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Watched it (with SHQ)! Theater in massa was only 20 to 25% full, but that seemed to be true of all movies in that complex (maybe not a popular complex overall). Far from being grossed out by violence, SHQ was yelling "How's the Josh" the next day at me!

No slick dialog like massa movies, dialog served its purpose and that was it. Did the movie just cross 250 cr?

The "all out (enemy) for no loss (home team)" score was unbelievable, but WTH, it's a movie.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Our group went to Uri movie. Booking was 200 tickets.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

all the khans except sallu are losing market value as actors for a while now.
to keep the gravy train flowing and retain some control both A and S have turned to production houses now.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

IIRC the Pakis - 40 60 80 100 300 vs. Indians 0 was the right score in reality.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sudarshan wrote:
The "all out (enemy) for no loss (home team)" score was unbelievable, but WTH, it's a movie.
believe it, it's the most factual bit of the movie. :wink:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in myanmar strike the firing was for 30 mins and they "unloaded all their heavy weapons" on the NSCN+ per the history chan docu.
were shown carrying CG guns and plamya type AGS which is not in Uri. i think they showed firing a couple of shipon rockets.

30mins is a long time to kill a lot of people
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Rahul M wrote: believe it, it's the most factual bit of the movie. :wink:
Wow, for some reason I thought we had one casualty. Don't know where I got that from.

It seems the total collection (including overseas) has crossed 260 cr. India is at 180 cr. And the line "How's the Josh" is now big time popular in India. I know this isn't the politics thread, but if Modi ji were to throw out the line in one of his rallies, he'd not only score majorly, but also overnight quadruple the sales of burnol among the congoons.

Oh, SHQ didn't know who the "Govind" character was, I took the opportunity to educate her on Doval ji and his role in Doklam. She did know Parrikar ji (may God grant him a good return to health).
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

UlanBatori wrote:IIRC the Pakis - 40 60 80 100 300 vs. Indians 0 was the right score in reality.
While mongols have been very successful. I am completely against this zero casualty claim. This may give porkies some day a moral victory. Saying look we killed your well trained the best of your trained by our aam abdul jihadis
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

There was one jawan who stepped on a landmine and had to be evac'ed by the rest of this team. He survived. That was the only "casualty" of the Surgical Strike.

While the zero casualty is great news, that should not be the benchmark for future operations, nor should it draw a perimeter around what kind of operations we undertake. Its war. Regretfully, some of our braves will die. But killing Pukis "over there" will mean far fewer casualties on our side than killing them "over here".

That's why a part of me is disappointed that Modi sarkar didn't make surgical strikes an ongoing activity. Not necessarily in the same way - it can take other forms, like targeted assassinations, engineering break-away of Baluchistan, missile strikes against Hafiz etc etc. Essentially, the end-goal of all these needs to be the disintegration of Pakistan, not just revenge attacks.

Hopefully in Modi's 2nd term!
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Singha wrote:in myanmar strike the firing was for 30 mins and they "unloaded all their heavy weapons" on the NSCN+ per the history chan docu.
were shown carrying CG guns and plamya type AGS which is not in Uri. i think they showed firing a couple of shipon rockets.

30mins is a long time to kill a lot of people
I remember predator scene wherein after Bill Duke's character spots the glowing eyes of predator, he and his entire team start unloading "everything" at the jungle. That scene lasted for like 1 min. Wonder what was fired up for 30 mins. It's hell of a long time to keep firing.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

the starting scene of myanmar raid reminded me of predator heli fligth scene itself
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Prem Kumar wrote:There was one jawan who stepped on a landmine and had to be evac'ed by the rest of this team. He survived. That was the only "casualty" of the Surgical Strike.

While the zero casualty is great news, that should not be the benchmark for future operations, nor should it draw a perimeter around what kind of operations we undertake. Its war. Regretfully, some of our braves will die. But killing Pukis "over there" will mean far fewer casualties on our side than killing them "over here".

That's why a part of me is disappointed that Modi sarkar didn't make surgical strikes an ongoing activity. Not necessarily in the same way - it can take other forms, like targeted assassinations, engineering break-away of Baluchistan, missile strikes against Hafiz etc etc. Essentially, the end-goal of all these needs to be the disintegration of Pakistan, not just revenge attacks.

Hopefully in Modi's 2nd term!
What happens when Pakistan disintegrates? Just asking what after that as I am curious.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

sir, You are staring in a future without time! But in true secular spirit I will say "insha allah"
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:sir, You are staring in a future without time! But in true secular spirit I will say "insha allah"
No seriously.Any end game has to be managed. I hear this dismemberment a lot but not much thinking about the aftermath.
Say we don’t dismember but by its own ineptitude Pakistan implodes. What next for India?

I ask as I am interested to know people’s thoughts.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I think that calls for a separate thread. There are many aspects
1. Water
2. Economics
3. Land allocation
4. Nukes
5. Military
6. Political & national set up
7. Key players
8. Deradicalization
9. Post war Trials
10. PoWs treatment

This is what I could think in next few minutes. the devil lies in the details.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Hence blase statements like dismemberment are khayali pulao with too many imponderables?
Again a question..
I ask because I have heard, admittedly, from people in uniform, have some interesting thoughts.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Pakistan disintegrates Pakjabistan will continue to be radically anti India with smaller territory and resources to use against India while having to deal with its other neighbours and less useful for bigger powers to use against India and will probably be Denuked as too risky. Getting Gilgit Balistan merged with India will also be easier
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

ks_sachin wrote: What happens when Pakistan disintegrates? Just asking what after that as I am curious.
Pakistan will not disintegrate by itself. Any such small size country with such a disproportionately huge military won't. Pakistan is not russia. They can be bankrupt but they will not disintegrate.

only when large scale mutiny in army or by external force. Both are highly remote possibilities.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

this is not the correct thread to discuss geopolitics.

please move discussion to appropriate thread in strat forum. above posts would be deleted tomorrow.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ArjunPandit wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:IIRC the Pakis - 40 60 80 100 300 vs. Indians 0 was the right score in reality.
While mongols have been very successful. I am completely against this zero casualty claim. This may give porkies some day a moral victory. Saying look we killed your well trained the best of your trained by our aam abdul jihadis
The long-term statistic is one Indian Army/BSF/Police hero for every 2 to 3 ****s, but also we lose one civilian in this. So it is at best 2:3, probably more like 2:2 since we care about civilians, whereas for the **** a civilian, even a baby is just another Indian. So there is nothing wrong with an occasional 300:0 when the **** are faced with real soldiers, uninhibited by need to protect civilians. Incidentally, remember that in Kargil Peace, the 4000 ****s of the Northern Flight Infantry were turned into fertilizer per no less than Nawaz Sharif. Plus many other units of "Mujaheddin" which they don't even count. Reports of the time cited a few corpses being brought down - and left in the street outside their homes in the night. IA also brought down a few heads, leaving the brains behind on the rocks. But that's it: the rest are still up there in pieces, or washed down with the avalanches to join their headless brethren floating down the Sutlej daily, courtesy of unohu.
We did lose 400 to 500. So it was 1:10 there. Which is what happens when the PAF sits on their thumbs and leaves the PA to be pulverized by the IAF, IA and everyone else.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

I watched URI in Kolkata theater (Dumdum park), 4 days ago.
Audience clapped in joy four different times, including the end.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Read and enjoy this severe burnol review of URI...Posting this in full 'cause reading this gives me lot of sadist satisfaction :twisted:

Uri: An Endeavour In Igniting Over-The-Top Nationalist Passions With Tired Clichés
Uri: The Surgical Strike is the quintessential Bollywood army-drama. It has got everything the predictable Hindi cinema army-tale has – exaggerated male heroes, good sons, women who are plot devices, tired stereotypes, and misplaced nationalist pride in war. Uri is 2 hours 18 minutes of propaganda and attempts to make money by igniting over-the-top nationalist passions in an audience that has misconceptions about war and believes it to be sacred, and in classic Bollywood-style, it does so with tired clichés.

The movie, which is based on the 2016 Uri attacks and the subsequent surgical strikes orchestrated by the Indian army in response, had the opportunity to be truly humane. But the movie is a predictable, dull, Bollywood-esque tale about an exaggerated hero, in an attempt to milk nationalist sentiments.

The movie brushes over the attack on the Uri base-camp rather swiftly, with a mere three scenes devoted to it, the rest is about making the aggravators bleed at the hands of our tough-guy hero. Major Vihaan Singh Shergill played by Vicky Kaushal wants to lead the surgical strikes in POK because his brother-in-law was martyred in Uri. The tough-guy brother tries to avenge the grief of his sad, pregnant, pitiful sister – classic Bollywood. The movie isn’t about terrorism and war, and the devastation it causes, it is about one man.

The women of Uri solely exist to be used as plot-devices. They have no real purpose. The three central female characters in Uri have precious little to do. Mansi Parekh, who plays Vicky Kaushal’s sister, only exists in the movie so that her grief over losing her husband in Uri can exacerbate Kaushal’s need to take action.

Yami Gautam is a RAW agent. Pallavi Sharma doesn’t do much – she exists to hint at a possible romantic relationship between her character and Kaushal’s. Kriti Kulhari plays an IAF officer and at first, it might look like she may be the only female cast member with a real role to play, but we are left disappointed. Kulhari’s Seerat Kaur is enlisted by Kaushal’s character to aid with the surgical strikes, but all in all, this IAF officer is in three shots, at the most.

In most Bollywood films, Gautam and Kulhari’s characters would be clubbed to make one colleague/love interest character, but in Hindi cinema, upstanding men don’t hit on widows.

Uri, in an attempt to ignite nationalist sentiments – which would ultimately turn into revenue – resorts to tired cliches and stereotypes. It takes the approach of ‘we, the sanctimonious and they, the deprived’. Pakistani officials are portrayed as incompetent individuals who are sloppy, callous, and apparently, amateur sleuths. On the other hand, we have Indian officials who are exceedingly competent and righteous, upstanding men.

In a scene featuring a Pakistani official at work, we see him constantly burping and speaking of his heartburn, even during an official call, with who is apparently a superior. In another shot we see a high-ranking official failing at golf. The asinine, incompetent official, whose incompetency translates to bad policy decisions is a common portrayal of Pakistan in Bollywood – while, Indian officials always have the Midas touch, as everything they touch turns to gold.

All this is in stark contrast to Vicky Kaushal’s last year release – Raazi, where he plays a Pakistani army officer. Everything Raazi did right, Uri did wrong. Raazi treated its characters with the same respect and humanity, their gender, nationality, and loyalties, notwithstanding. Raazi was raw, real, and human, whereas Uri is problematic, and ultimately bigoted. :D

Uri focuses on making money by playing to the tune of our bigotry. The story of Uri is of loss and conflict, but the movie is about victory. Kaushal’s character, his bravery, and desire for revenge are the only thing that matter in the movie’s universe, the movie doesn’t much care about the causalities of the Uri attacks, or the cost of terrorism and political conflict.

The audience was thrilled to see the aggravators bleed, while all the while conveniently forgetting we are bleeding, too. When toxic nationalism is brought into a theatre while viewing a film like Uri, it can be easy to forget – there are no real victors in war. War leaves behind destruction, loss, grief, and pain. War is not sacred, but we often make it out to be. We push for wars and victories overseas, while conveniently forgetting the human cost of war, in terms of soldiers, civilians, and everyone left behind in the wake of its destruction.

While watching Kaushal blow up people on-screen in retaliation, we don’t see the real story of one of the world’s most densely militarised areas, where lives are endangered each day and soldiers are pawns in political conflict. While remaining in the comfort of our conflict-free realities, miles away, it can be easy to forget the cost we pay each day.

When the Uri attacks originally occurred, many people insisted on war, because we were never taught war isn’t sacred, and these people went to theatres with the same fallacies, and with glee at watching Pakistan bleed. The surgical strikes must have been necessary military action, but as a people, it is time we start seeking a resolution, instead of more conflict. It is easy to celebrate war when you’re an audience to it, but it is a whole different ball game when you are a casualty of war.
About the author:
Akshita Prasad is an nineteen-year-old high school graduate who intends to pursue a career in criminal law. She has been identifying as a feminist since the age of thirteen and has been writing about it since.