Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by disha »

KL Dubey wrote: He is talking about POK and GB being in another time zone. The other UTs are eight in number, of which AN and LK obviously have no land border.
I was talking about Kanuckistan and former-UK.

I heard the news that India will be setting up facilities in the UK to design aircraft carriers that will be manufactured on the mainland (a.ka the subcontinent). And the mayor of Kanuckistan, Sri Trudeu brought up the issue of farmers' plight in poonjab and kanada and in spite of the stance against MSP (and APMCs) in WTO, it wants the MSP (and APMCs) to continue. They got support from AAP and CONgoons as well. Meanwhile fUK is concerned about the plight of some farmers in fUK. Particularly questions are asked whether to create a new provincial governing body to administer the erstwhile kingdom of Maharaja Ranjit Singh or whether to solve the issue of breakaway provinces of Pakistan and Bangladesh first.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

^^Achha, achha.

Canada is a small and irrelevant country, useful only for natural resources. UK is not far behind.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

I think Kaneda should immediately remove all immigration restrictions and invite the poor farmers of Punjab to his country. Give every farmer an automatic score of 500 and let them in with their high-end skills.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55258798
Here we go
Another group of Paxtanis's probably into grooming and child sex abuse!!
1999-2012 All authorities keeping quiet as there will be problems of racial riots
furthermore if you look at all these crimes during the Labour era, and all peacefuls heavily into Labour Party and helping it win in the deprived/poverty stricken areas of North-East, North and Midlands
I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Telfon Tony' knew about these crimes gangs running riot but deliberately ignored/subverted proceedings to keep the Labour on the gravy train!!
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

News doing the rounds on some WA groups and getting a lot of knickers in a twist. Any information? Of course in India it is picked up by Caravan

BBC reports Vast pro-India disinformation campaign running for 15 yrs

Primary source of this:

Disinfo.eu

Key points made:

Key facts

In a nutshell, Indian Chronicles is:

a 15 year-long operation running since 2005;
10+ UN Human Rights Council accredited NGOs, mostly resurrected;
The resurrection of Prof. Louis B. Sohn, a prominent figure in human rights, deceased in 2006;
Several identity thefts, including the name of Martin Schulz, former president of the European Parliament or the photo of James Purnell, a former UK Government minister;
750+ fake media outlets, covering 119 countries;
550+ domain names registered.
Summary of the 15-year influence operation
Our open-source investigation shows that the operation led by the Srivastava Group and amplified by ANI began in 2005 and is still ongoing at this date.

The operation’s mission is to discredit nations in conflict with India in Asia, in particular Pakistan but also China to a lesser extent. Its long-term objective is:

In India, to reinforce pro-Indian and anti-Pakistan (and anti-Chinese) feelings.
Internationally, to consolidate the power and improve the perception of India, to damage the reputation of other countries and ultimately benefit from more support from international institutions such as the EU and the UN.
To do so, the operation consists of:

The support to minority and human rights NGOs and think-tanks.
The use of Members of the European Parliament to create a mirage of institutional support from European institutions to these minority groups, in favour of Indian interests and against Pakistan (and China).
An active presence in Geneva and the United Nations’ Human Rights Council through:
side-events and demonstrations in support of minority rights;
impersonation of extinguished UN-accredited NGOs or use speaking slots reserved to various NGOs whose original missions seem totally unrelated.
The creation of fake media in Brussels, Geneva and across the world and/or the repackaging and dissemination via ANI and obscure local media networks – at least in 97 countries – to multiply the repetition of online negative content about countries in conflict with India, in particular Pakistan.
srikandan
BRFite

Post by srikandan »

deleted
Last edited by srikandan on 11 Dec 2020 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

It is so obvious that it is not even funny. However, has a lot of Desis confused and worried. Just to appear 'secular', they claim to have been monitoring since 2005, when UPA was in power - a fig leaf is what that is.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/uk-p ... 201215.htm
Rediff said it first! UK PM Boris Johnson will be Republic Day chief guest
Source: PTI - Edited By: Hemant Waje, December 15, 2020.

As reported by Rediff.com on December 2, 2020, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will visit India in January to be the chief guest at the Republic Day Parade.
The announcement came after the meeting between United Kingdom foreign secretary Dominic Raab and his Indian counterpart external affairs minister S Jaishankar. Addressing a joint press conference after the talks, Jaishankar said the two sides held four hours of discussion on a wide range of issues and focus has been on how to take the bilateral ties to a higher level.
"In recent years as you know, there have been very big changes in global politics and we both believe that our interests are better served by working together more effectively," he said and added that important issues, including the situation in Afghanistan as also developments in Gulf and evolution of the Indo-Pacific region were discussed. Jaishankar said challenges posed by terrorism and radicalism which are shared concerns were also discussed during the talks.
Gautam
vrbarreto
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vrbarreto »

Johnson will be in India in January just after after the full force of Brexit takes effect.. I suppose it beats hiding in a fridge.. Hopefully Modi will give him the full shaft when it comes to trying to negotiate a trade deal.. Johnson probably still thinks in terms of the East India Company..
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

After Stalingrad the Wunderwaffe was dangled for the mango Germans as a cure for everything. Perhaps Johnson will dangle business with India to replace the loss of EU. But what is PM Modi expecting from this circus? UK will decline after Brexit, that must be clear to everyone in India. But then a good parade cheers up everyone.
Gautam
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

Then there is this;

"Leaked files expose mass infiltration of UK firms by Chinese Communist Party including AstraZeneca, Rolls Royce, HSBC and Jaguar Land Rover"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Party.html

The Duran people were just saying it is a warning to the UK that you will be out of five eyes!

++ all the chinese money used by paks to whip up the "Stupid Indians" that are in UK into anti PM Modi
and anti India/anti Hindu hysteria...

What a bunch of dirty filthy bar stewards these people are. Sorry for the language, I must be due a ban.
But seriously these horrid people drive me mad with rage....
Which people; cincoms/paks or stupid Indians, take your pick.

Chancellor George ScOsborne was on his knees begging for chinese money and a deep/special partnership.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Britain showing its true Colours,

UK regulator slaps £20,000 fine on firm broadcasting Republic Bharat

Pakistanis are propped up the Most powerful people in the world, The rich in the world use the "Term" liberal left and have decided to prop PRC, TSP, Indian opposition and anyone with a Hindu phobic mindset.

We Indians live blindly drinking cool aid of Liberalism and think the world is fair and bound by rules.

The Ecosystem is very powerful.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Aditya_V wrote:Britain showing its true Colours,

UK regulator slaps £20,000 fine on firm broadcasting Republic Bharat

Pakistanis are propped up the Most powerful people in the world, The rich in the world use the "Term" liberal left and have decided to prop PRC, TSP, Indian opposition and anyone with a Hindu phobic mindset.

We Indians live blindly drinking cool aid of Liberalism and think the world is fair and bound by rules.

The Ecosystem is very powerful.
Now I counter this with what will it take to ban BBC in India. They spew propaganda day and night against India.
Vidur
BRFite

Post by Vidur »

It will just take political will. I also note that both the ruling party and the government can be rather naive. During previous regimes there was a lot of clarity at the top albeit for wrong objectives, but there was a lot of clarity and purpose. That is missing now. For example has anyone wondered why the CAA has not been notified yet ?
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

This is the second time Arnab has been fined. He seems to have failed to learn his lesson of how the rules in the UK work.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Lisa wrote:This is the second time Arnab has been fined. He seems to have failed to learn his lesson of how the rules in the UK work.
What Rules, the BBC has peddled far worse against India, what about freedom of Expression, It is just India Bashing- no need Hide behind Rules etc.
I am sure an assortment of Paki Channels are Broadcast in the UK and there is no fine here, stop blaming the victim here. There are no Rules, otherwise Dawood Family will not be walking in and walking out of the UK with their "Legitimately" earned money. This is Hinduphobic, no need to hide behind rules etc.

Now saying anything against Pakistan is banned in UK Television haha
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Ji, there is nothing stopping India from having similar rules and then imposing them, is there?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

UK is scared to death of muzzi rioting. Paki gangs had been trapping and raping BRITISH girls for ages and their police and security forces had covered it up. Their press had tried to spin it as "Asian" gangs when they were all paki men molesting and raping kaffirs.

If they can't protect their own women and children from the peaceful through this sickening act of dimmitude then why would they protect the interests of Indians?

We can write the Britshits off.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:Ji, there is nothing stopping India from having similar rules and then imposing them, is there?
+1008

do the very same thing to the BBC here and teach them a lesson.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

I was asked a long time ago, what makes a successful nation. I was of the opinion that the single most important requirement was access to Justice. In India Justice is at best delayed which is tantamount to Justice denied. Its reformation is the single most important thing that India can do. India is not a land in need of laws, just their efficient application. See below, 10 years is a record in the UK and yet only yesterday in India, a nun got justice after how many years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

McLibel case

The original case lasted nearly ten years which, according to the BBC, made it the longest-running libel case in English history

Complaining about regulation in UK is not valid as long as regulations are not implemented in India.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Vidur wrote:It will just take political will. I also note that both the ruling party and the government can be rather naive. During previous regimes there was a lot of clarity at the top albeit for wrong objectives, but there was a lot of clarity and purpose. That is missing now. For example has anyone wondered why the CAA has not been notified yet ?
Not a lawyer. But let me weigh in with my two bits worth. There is a writ petition pending in the Supreme Court against the CAA. It perhaps implies that there is an implicit order of maintaining the status quo till the matter is disposed off by the SC. The framing of rules for implementing the law (the Act itself has been notified) would be construed as upsetting the status quo. Hence the Government is hesitating. In substantive terms no refugee fleeing to India from Pakistan or Bangladesh on grounds of religious persecution have been been deported. On the contrary they their stay has been legalised by an amendment to the Foreigners Act. This means children born to them by virtue being born to parents who are legally eligible to stay in India automatically become eligible to acquire citizenship. By the sheer passage of time the issue of treatment of religious minorities in Pakistan and Bangladesh get resolved in a legalistic way. .
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

@Vidur ji @ Nandakumarji - I am a crow, so I know a small bit of law. The rules framing sometimes takes time. While the CAA is small by itself it is an amendment and there were earlier rules also. Anyone drafting the rules under this CAA has to reconcile both the main act and the earlier rules. Having said that it should not have taken this long for the rules. It is possible someone developed some cold feet. It is also possible that the rules may come out at a "politically suitable" time. Remember most of the rules etc. after Art 370 removal came very fast and that was far more hardcore issue than CAA which in reality do not affect no citizen of Bharat.

Pending SLP before SC is not a bar for framing of the rules. Unless there is a specific stay etc. GoI normally proceeds with implementation of the Acts, framing of rules/regulations etc.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Lisa wrote:
Complaining about regulation in UK is not valid as long as regulations are not implemented in India.
Don't get this.

Just because it takes decades to get justice in india, does it mean it's open season on any of our news orgs? BBC themselves publish plenty of racist and hateful content, they don't ever get punished in UK where justice is apparently swift.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

m_saini wrote:
Lisa wrote:
Don't get this.

Just because it takes decades to get justice in india, does it mean it's open season on any of our news orgs? BBC themselves publish plenty of racist and hateful content, they don't ever get punished in UK where justice is apparently swift.
I am sorry for what I have written. I was unaware that this ruling by OFCOM was one of many orientated against Indian news agencies. Kindly enlighten me. Here's a link to the OFCOM rulings page,

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Lisa wrote:
I am sorry for what I have written. I was unaware that this ruling by OFCOM was one of many orientated against Indian news agencies. Kindly enlighten me. Here's a link to the OFCOM rulings page,

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins
Never really said that, the implication was something else. Have no interest in any passive aggressive exchange so I'll refrain.

Apologies for engaging.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Yagnasri wrote:@Vidur ji @ Nandakumarji - I am a crow, so I know a small bit of law. The rules framing sometimes takes time. While the CAA is small by itself it is an amendment and there were earlier rules also. Anyone drafting the rules under this CAA has to reconcile both the main act and the earlier rules. Having said that it should not have taken this long for the rules. It is possible someone developed some cold feet. It is also possible that the rules may come out at a "politically suitable" time. Remember most of the rules etc. after Art 370 removal came very fast and that was far more hardcore issue than CAA which in reality do not affect no citizen of Bharat.

Pending SLP before SC is not a bar for framing of the rules. Unless there is a specific stay etc. GoI normally proceeds with implementation of the Acts, framing of rules/regulations etc.
As far as I can tell there is no explicit stay on the rule making powers of the government. I guessed that it was an unspoken understanding.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The CAA notification delay is an interesting topic. However it must be remembered that the CAA regularizes a status quo. It grants citizenship rights to refugees who are already here as of a cutoff date that was in the past. The failure to notify the Act only means that their final citizenship paperwork cannot be done, but they remain safe in India away from the death sentence that awaits them where they came from.

Regarding the Republic TV in UK, it appears Arnab is poorly advised by his legal team. These kinds of penalties are easy to circumvent by editing material appropriately. The UK has historically had strong slander and libel laws, quite often used for petty purposes. I agree that India needs clear laws in this, but part of the problem is that in Indian customary law, there's an emphasis on 'sentiment' as a basis for legal actions. As long as people argue on the basis of sentiment, it's hard to construct a clear legal framework, because sentiment is subjective. I think India should have strong laws against hate speech, but some existing precedent is a problem in its construction.

However, there's no reason not to punitively respond to British news source in retaliation for actions against Indian ones. On the big power stage, it is necessary to slap back when you're hit.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

@Suraj
There are hundreds of Hindus lying in detention camps in Assam, who would have benefited from the CAA. Several have committed suicide and plenty more have died due tot he horrific conditions there. BJP government has refused to release even those whom the SC had ordered released [SC had ordered that no one can be kept in prison on suspicion of being Bangladeshi for >3 years, but the BJP has not released anyone - the home secretary is sitting on the file, as per last information].
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

This is the Ofcom decision:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... imited.pdf
53. Republic Bharat said that it was “deeply concerned” that the programme may have been viewed as containing expressions of hatred based on intolerance of Pakistani people. It said that it had considered the topic of Kashmir and its history would be a topic within audience expectations especially in view of rising tensions between India and Pakistan. Accordingly, the Licensee recognised that it may have “failed in differentiating what content/speech may constitute hate speech” in accordance with the Code.

54. The Licensee emphasised that it broadcast a public apology 280 times “to substantiate how apologetic we are”. It said that the “particularly heavy rotation of apologies... demonstrates our efforts to convey a deep apology” and that it regretted that the apology was not sufficiently specific and detailed to convey Ofcom’s concerns.

55. It therefore said that it “fully accepted” Ofcom’s preliminary view to direct the Licensee to broadcast a statement of Ofcom’s findings.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

vimal wrote:what will it take to ban BBC in India. They spew propaganda day and night against India.
No need for something like a ban. However, to provide context, the BBC must be required to identify as UK state owned media.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -agreement
UK and EU agree Brexit trade deal
No 10 says ‘we have taken back control’, after years of talks end in settlement allowing tariff-free trade in goods
Daniel Boffey in Brussels and Lisa O'Carroll in London, Thu 24 Dec 2020.

A historic deal on the UK’s future trading and security relationship with the European Union has been struck on Christmas Eve, a week before the end of the Brexit transition period, triggering a victory cry from Downing Street and sombre reflection in Brussels.
As the country leaves the single market and customs union on 31 December, new arrangements allowing for tariff-free trade in goods and close police and judicial cooperation will come into force.
The announcement followed a final call between Boris Johnson in Downing Street and the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, in her Berlaymont headquarters in Brussels – at least the fifth such call over the last 24 hours.
The trade agreement – running to 2,000 pages – is unprecedented in scope, containing provisions on subjects ranging from civil nuclear cooperation and energy interconnections to fishing and aviation. A No 10 spokesperson said: “The deal is done. Everything that the British public was promised during the 2016 referendum and in the general election last year is delivered by this deal. “We have taken back control of our money, borders, laws, trade and our fishing waters. The deal is fantastic news for families and businesses in every part of the UK. We have signed the first free trade agreement based on zero tariffs and zero quotas that has ever been achieved.” Johnson tweeted a picture of himself with both thumbs up.
Von der Leyen was more reflective in her comments at a press conference during which she referenced Shakespeare, the Beatles and TS Eliot. “It was a long and winding road, but we have got a good deal to show for it. It is fair. It is a balanced deal. And it is the right and responsible thing to do for both sides,” she said. “At the end of a successful negotiation I normally feel joy. But today I only feel quiet satisfaction and, frankly speaking, relief. “I know this is a difficult day for some and to our friends in the United Kingdom, I want to say parting is such sweet sorrow but, to use the line from TS Eliot, what we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is often a beginning. So, to all Europeans, I think it is time to leave Brexit behind.”
The deal guarantees “zero tariff and zero quota” trade on goods that were worth £668bn in 2019. But it will also mean significant costs to businesses as exporters face a host of border checks from 1 January and freedom of movement in the EU will end for most UK nationals.
Gautam
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Shanmukh wrote:@Suraj
There are hundreds of Hindus lying in detention camps in Assam, who would have benefited from the CAA. Several have committed suicide and plenty more have died due tot he horrific conditions there. BJP government has refused to release even those whom the SC had ordered released [SC had ordered that no one can be kept in prison on suspicion of being Bangladeshi for >3 years, but the BJP has not released anyone - the home secretary is sitting on the file, as per last information].
Take it to the politics thread and lead the discussion there.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... GMb4H.html
Khalistan supporter’s nomination to UK House of Lords delayed, says Sikh group
Dabinderjit Singh Sidhu, principal adviser to Sikh Federation UK, was to be one of the new political peers, but his name was missing when the list was released by Downing Street on Monday
Prasun Sonwalkar, Hindustan Times, London, Dec 24, 2020

The controversial nomination of a Khalistan supporter to the House of Lords has been delayed and its announcement is expected in January, campaign group Sikh Federation UK said on Wednesday, following reports that Labour Party has dropped his nomination.
Dabinderjit Singh Sidhu, principal adviser to the group, was to be one of the new political peers, but his name was missing when the list was released by Downing Street on Monday.
His potential appointment raised hackles in sections of the Indian community in the UK and New Delhi.
The group said in a statement, “Our understanding is (Labour leader) Keir Starmer recommended Dabinderjit to fill one of the nominations given to the Labour Party by the prime minister.
“The House of Lords appointments commission carried out all the necessary checks and concluded weeks ago Dabinderjit was of good standing in the community and had no concerns on his past conduct that would call into question his appointment to the House of Lords as a Labour peer.”
Gautam
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

And we thought that Labour would change after its new head. Labour is officially anti-Hindu and Anti Bharat. That is not going to change shortly. Hope Hindu voters start moving against them immediately and do not act like idiots of US.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1341463103846969344

This peerages list is odd in a second sense. As of this morning, Labour's new lords were expected to include Dabinderjit Singh Sidhu, a long-serving senior official in the National Audit Office - but who is also a controversial figure in India because of his support for an...

independent Sikh state, Khalistan. One leading figure in the Hindu community in the UK told me that his appointment as a peer by Labour would "outrage" the government of India. But when the list of peers was published this afternoon, his name was not on it. A Labour...

source told me: "he was a nominee but Keir Starmer chose not to progress with it". What is unclear is quite how recently Keir Starmer made the decision not to proceed with the choice of Singh Sidhu to sit on Labour's benches in the Lords
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Looks like someone had a quiet talk with Keir Starmer. It would be good if HINOs in the US grow some b**ls and done that. But I have little hope for HINO politicos of the UK just like I have little hope of HINO politicos of US except for Tulsi.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Lovely Luton,
It's just like pakistan, only in England !!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Luton.html
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

'She is very beautiful and intelligent but she is Indian.'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55430717
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/bori ... 210105.htm
Johnson cancels R-Day visit due to Covid crisis in UK
By Aditi Khanna, January 05, 2021

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was scheduled to attend the Republic Day celebrations in India as Chief Guest, has cancelled his visit to the country later this month due to the growing health crisis created by the new variant of coronavirus in the United Kingdom.
"Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a telephonic conversation today with Johnson. Prime Minister Johnson reiterated his thanks for India's invitation for him as the Chief Guest of the forthcoming Republic Day celebrations, but regretted his inability to attend in view of the changed COVID-19 context prevailing in the UK. He reiterated his keenness to visit India in the near future," a release from the Prime Minister's office in New Delhi said.
Johnson's call with Modi came a day after he addressed the nation to announce a new stay-at-home lockdown in the UK as his medical chiefs warned that the National Health Service was under threat of being overwhelmed by the rising infection rates.
"Prime Minister (Modi) expressed his understanding of the exceptional situation in the UK, and conveyed his best wishes for the quick control of the pandemic spread. He looked forward to receiving Prime Minister Johnson in India at the earliest opportunity after normalisation of the situation," the PMO said.
Gautam
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

^ blessings in disguise... it’s good to keep UK at an arms length!