Progress discussion on Vision 2020

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Progress discussion on Vision 2020

Postby ramana » 13 Aug 2018 10:16

Dr Kalam had the foresight to champion Vision 2020 for India to become a developed country.
Its now August 2018 and we should examine where we are on this roadmap.

Here is the link to TIFAC 2020 reports:

https://tifac.org.in/index.php/reports- ... 20-reports

And already Vision 2035 is being created.

https://tifac.org.in/index.php/activiti ... ision-2035

If we scroll down the V2020 roadmaps in various areas are described,

I would like members to take out one area and get familiar so we can track the progress.

For starters here is 2016-17 annual report. 100 pages fair warning.

https://tifac.org.in/images/tifac_image ... 016-17.pdf

very current newsletter that talks of their plans to meet the new challenges

https://tifac.org.in//images/pdf/newsle ... ary'18.pdf

ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Progress discussion on Vision 2020

Postby ramana » 13 Aug 2018 21:20

We had 92 views but not one post here.
Guess all talk and no action.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 13 Aug 2018 21:42

Wow! TIFAC is quite a find. They seem to have a fairly strong team of scientists. This is the organization that predicted that by 2020 India could become a "developed nation" as AK put it? I have the book, but did not realize until recently that it was a bureaucracy-think-tank report that was behind it. Awesome. Was AK part of this organization?

Present directions seem a bit, well... "Jettson's" type with gleaming "vertical Farming" skyscrapers with haraam gori wimmens going in and out showing their ankles and forearms. :eek: One good pic of Dilli pollution with a scary graph.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 13 Aug 2018 21:47

Also, slick site but any way of getting these reports w/o paying $$M?

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 13 Aug 2018 22:37

AK became attached to TIFAC much later. TIFAC is 30 years old.

TIFAC is on Twitter.
And seems to be the forecasting group for the GOI.
Inputs to Niti Ayog.
So would be a key player in any progress towards Vision 2020 discussion.

I have to pull out my Kalam book but wish
TIFAC had a dashboard type web page to show were India is wrt Vision 2020 in the six focus areas.

I would suggest for our purposes to read the available PDFs .
The reports are useful if you plan to invest in that area.
Not germane to our purposes.

The Dilli pollution graph puts paid to the SC crusade to ban Diwali!
But SC is not data driven but perception driven.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 14 Aug 2018 00:55

I see the present reports as being generated by young desis sitting in dilli and surfin' the 'Net and downloading stuff from quasi science-fiction reports. VEry glitzy PR type web pages and slick report covers and graphics, probably very good statistical data processing too.

Someone told me about one of the Big Mgmt/Finance Consulting Groups:

I don't know about thinking, but they make PPT presentations that none of us can touch, and that's what impresses the Baboon/Mantris

Organic solar cells from EU, Vertical Farming (a good concept, but not with the mega$$ glass towers shown), hydrogen buses from Iceland (again good, but in what context?)

Very little Indian context and grounding visible there. Back in 1989 this may have been a good strategy as in dragging the nation forward into worldwide tech, but even there, I think much of the revolution came not from the forecasted directions but from other occurrences that are more complex to explain. (The IT outsourcing tsunami for instance, where the "Y2K" panic opened the gates). Also from the nuke advances, and from generally opening the manufacturing sector and liberalizing the freedom to generate and keep individual wealth, and from the spectacular rise in urban real estate prices driven by black money and speculation along with the overcrowding caused by village deterioration and farmer suicides.

Phoren exchange came first from NRI remittances then the huge wave of IT, then from manufacturing and the trickle of medical tourism is becoming a good-sized flow. Plus Indian MNC investment abroad.

(hope this brings out the Econ Mob with the pitchforks..) :mrgreen:

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 14 Aug 2018 21:07

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 15 Aug 2018 06:46

Vision 2020: as of 2000.

This one does not seem to have anywhere near the inspiration level of Kalam's book. Rather insipid.

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”