Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 23 March 2021

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Air Force News & Discussion - 23 March 2021

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:A most depressing post….
I am loosing faith in our military leadership!!!!
Sachin Saar, I *AGAIN* request you to not quote entire posts with a one or two line reply.

Many readers visit BRF on their mobile phones. Please be mindful of other readers. I have edited your post.

Can you please acknowledge that you have read this request? Thank You.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Is this interview available on youtube? Did he discuss the Tejas?

https://twitter.com/AshishSinghNews/sta ... XQo5BH3dcQ --->

IAF Chief's 1st detailed TV interview in an hour from now.

1) IAF preparedness & readiness at the LAC.
2) IAF Vs PLAF.
3) Pak + China vs India.
4) 36th Rafale (India specific enhancements & weapons package).
5) Theaterisation & Integration.
6) Space Force.
7) 114 fighters.
8] UAVs.

ShivS
BRFite

Post by ShivS »

Rakesh

The Tejas MK2 is funded - there is no hold up in the development path. The IAF played its role in the design review in December.

In a good system, no individual can deny a product it’s day in the sun. The MK2’s future will be decided in 3-4 years time. Past and present CAS may have strong, and respected, opinions but they won’t make the calls.

Personal biases born of past experiences are always there - sometimes for you, sometimes against. Every OEM fights these.

HAL’s only thought should be to wow the IAF with the MK1A and the Mk2. Don’t worry about whether you are getting love in press conferences or not.

Excitement about the AMCA is welcome, that’s an Indian product too.

Look at what’s happening in the SAM, radar spaces. Once indian products matured they took away the market - why should it be different for aircraft.

Given what I can make out from public sources, there is no way that the IAF will see a strength over 27/28 squadrons on the back of the MFRA program. Add to that the uncertainty around the Su30s long term future, the Tejas Mk2 will definitely get its shot.

In this uncertain environment, keep options open - Indian and overseas, don’t close any option :)

I would love to know more about two issues.

Is the IAF okay with a 30 squadron force with 40% of that force being Su30s which may see all sorts of uncertainty?

What’s the operational record of the Tejas MK1 IOC squadron? When is it being deployed in the west or the east?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Rakesh wrote:Sachin Saar, I *AGAIN* request you to not quote entire posts with a one or two line reply.

Many readers visit BRF on their mobile phones. Please be mindful of other readers. I have edited your post.

Can you please acknowledge that you have read this request? Thank You.
Rakesh Saar yes Saar acknowledged
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

ShivS wrote:The Tejas MK2 is funded - there is no hold up in the development path. The IAF played its role in the design review in December.
This is not true. There is no separate money yet sanctioned for lca mk 2. The money left from LCA MK 1 is being used for LCA MK2. If the money is not sanctioned soon (by IAF? or MOD? or DRDO?), It will soon become an issue. This info is by Sjha, Prasad can further confirm.
ShivS
BRFite

Post by ShivS »

On the budget - ADA is working with money that was sanctioned for a up engined (GE414 instead of the 404) Tejas MK1 for now - you may call that part of the MK1 program, but that is the MK2.

That money will run out, and more money will be needed for the prototypes.

Money must come from the MOD. IAF will come in only at the production stage, or just before that.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kartik can you follow me or Disha on Twitter?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ShivS wrote:The Tejas MK2 is funded - there is no hold up in the development path. The IAF played its role in the design review in December.
Just so that there is no ambiguity about the definition of a Critical Design Review (CDR), below is one example --->
Source: https://acqnotes.com/acqnote/acquisitio ... 0Review%20(CDR,cost%2C%20schedule%2C%20and%20risk.

"A Critical Design Review (CDR) is a multi-disciplined technical review to ensure that a system can proceed into fabrication, demonstration, and test and can meet stated performance requirements within cost, schedule, and risk."

I am also posting a definition of a Preliminary Design Review (PDR) --->
https://acqnotes.com/acqnote/acquisitio ... e%20degree

The Preliminary Design Review (PDR) is a review conducted to evaluate the progress, technical adequacy, and risk resolution of the selected design approach for one or more configuration items; to determine each design’s compatibility with the requirements for the configuration item; to evaluate the degree of definition and assess the technical risk associated with the selected manufacturing methods and processes; to establish the existence and compatibility of the physical and functional interfaces among the configuration items and other items of equipment, facilities, software and personnel; and, as applicable, to evaluate the preliminary operational and support documents.

Air Marshal Narmdeshwar Tiwari, accepted the Critical Design Review (CDR) of the Tejas Mk2 on 15 November 2021. Just a few days back, when asked about the Tejas Mk2, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari stated that the numbers for LCA Mk2 will be decided when the first production model comes. That caused an uproar on social media, in which a defence journalist (Nitin Gokhale) had to clarify the same day that six units of the Tejas Mk2 will be inducted. Then the Air Chief reiterated the same a few minutes later.

The irony in the brouhaha that just occurred, is that the CDR of the AMCA is not even completed....but yet Air HQ has a clear defined plan of how many AMCA units are to be inducted, that the first two units will be Mk1 variants with GE F414 turbofans and the next five units will be Mk2 variants with a pair of indigenious turbofans. But when it comes to the Tejas Mk2 - which has a CDR acceptance approval from Air HQ - the Air Chief first says that a call will be taken on the number of Tejas Mk2s to be inducted and then hours later clarifies that six units are planned for induction and additional numbers will be planned when production starts.

Also see this ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7689&start=1880#p2558491

With regards to funding for the Tejas Mk2, the story gets even more sordid.

https://twitter.com/Indrani1_Roy/status ... ZZfMHEB-2Q ---> Impossible to have roll-out in a few months. ADA and HAL could not start manufacturing. No funds sanctioned yet for manufacturing of prototypes.

However, the first metal cutting of AMCA has already commenced ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7773&start=680#p2557809

Lets get real.
ShivS wrote:In a good system, no individual can deny a product it’s day in the sun. The MK2’s future will be decided in 3-4 years time. Past and present CAS may have strong, and respected, opinions but they won’t make the calls.

Personal biases born of past experiences are always there - sometimes for you, sometimes against. Every OEM fights these.
It goes beyond just one individual. IAF - as an institution - has always imported platforms.

They have been inducting platforms since independence and continue to do so. This is all they know to do, outside of air warfare.
ShivS wrote:HAL’s only thought should be to wow the IAF with the MK1A and the Mk2. Don’t worry about whether you are getting love in press conferences or not.

Excitement about the AMCA is welcome, that’s an Indian product too.
Wow and Excitement are nice buzz words to use, but they have no utility in the real world. They are sound bytes.
ShivS wrote:Look at what’s happening in the SAM, radar spaces. Once indian products matured they took away the market - why should it be different for aircraft.
Because in those spheres, those OEMs were not willing to hand over the crown jewels. Many sub-systems had to be designed inhouse and many are still in the works. So when the back is against the wall, a local product has to be developed.

With entire platforms (i.e. aircraft), the back has yet to go against the wall. Remove the option of perpetual and unabated importing and everything will fall in place.
ShivS wrote:Given what I can make out from public sources, there is no way that the IAF will see a strength over 27/28 squadrons on the back of the MFRA program. Add to that the uncertainty around the Su30s long term future, the Tejas Mk2 will definitely get its shot.

In this uncertain environment, keep options open - Indian and overseas, don’t close any option :)
Okay, so now we are back to over 30 squadrons? :)

The Su-30MKI is getting incremental upgrades, but not the full SS upgrade as of yet. The focus is on 114 MRFA.
ShivS wrote:I would love to know more about two issues.

Is the IAF okay with a 30 squadron force with 40% of that force being Su30s which may see all sorts of uncertainty?

What’s the operational record of the Tejas MK1 IOC squadron? When is it being deployed in the west or the east?
With the first question, they don't have a choice. They had an option to not induct 272 Su-30MKIs, but that is what Air HQ did. HAL got a whale of an opportunity in doing screwdrivergiri of a triple digit, foreign platform order and they ran with it.

The second question is classified. Operational records/serviceability of any platform in the IAF is not revealed to the public for obvious reasons. Even the CAG reports only provide a high level overview. The only inkling we have is of Ex Gagan Shakti, but we do not know the background investments that were made to achieve that high level of tempo with the Tejas Mk1. The one thing that can be confirmed is that the aircraft's serviceability and availability is higher than what the MiG-21 Bison is.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ShivS wrote:On the budget - ADA is working with money that was sanctioned for a up engined (GE414 instead of the 404) Tejas MK1 for now - you may call that part of the MK1 program, but that is the MK2.

Re-emphasis :)
https://twitter.com/Indrani1_Roy/status ... ZZfMHEB-2Q ---> Impossible to have roll-out in a few months. ADA and HAL could not start manufacturing. No funds sanctioned yet for manufacturing of prototypes.
ShivS wrote:Money must come from the MOD. IAF will come in only at the production stage, or just before that.
Therein lies the problem. The end user (IAF) is only interested in importing, because that is all they know.

It can be readily argued that the MoD has to fund, not the IAF. But who is advising the MoD on which programs are crucial and which are not?

Right now, the crucial program is 114 MRFA...because it is a ready made solution. Tejas Mk2 is not a ready made solution. That requires commitment, which Air HQ is not ready to do.

"I must have Rafale F5 type capability in the first TD-1 prototype of Tejas Mk2. If it does not, then it is not worth pursuing."
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote:Is this interview available on youtube? Did he discuss the Tejas?

https://twitter.com/AshishSinghNews/sta ... XQo5BH3dcQ --->

IAF Chief's 1st detailed TV interview in an hour from now.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote:
ShivS wrote:On the budget - ADA is working with money that was sanctioned for a up engined (GE414 instead of the 404) Tejas MK1 for now - you may call that part of the MK1 program, but that is the MK2.

Re-emphasis :)

"I must have Rafale F5 type capability in the first TD-1 prototype of Tejas Mk2. If it does not, then it is not worth pursuing."
Why is that IAF cannot be part of the solution ? ., when IN can ?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

kit wrote:Why is that IAF cannot be part of the solution ? ., when IN can ?
Why should I invest manpower resources into a local program, when I can purchase a ready made solution?

Not my money, so why do I care? Unlike the Agniveers, I have a guaranteed pension till I die.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote:
kit wrote:Why is that IAF cannot be part of the solution ? ., when IN can ?
Why should I invest manpower resources into a local program, when I can purchase a ready made solution?

Not my money, so why do I care? Unlike the Agniveers, I have a guaranteed pension till I die.
Well , same with IN . What gives ?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

kit wrote:Well, same with IN. What gives ?
Different organizational culture.

Our Nau Sena has an in-house organization called the Directorate of Naval Design.

Nothing remotely like that exists in the Indian Air Force. The DND was born out of necessity.

Our Vayu Sena has never had to face anything similar in its existence. Everything was (and still is) just bought off the shelf.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

NaMo has spoken 8)

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh Sorry to trouble you but for consistency please stick to squadrons instead of units so all are in same page.
Thanks for transferring all the posts.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:Rakesh Sorry to trouble you but for consistency please stick to squadrons instead of units so all are in same page.
Thanks for transferring all the posts.
For sure Ramana-ji. Will stick to squadrons.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Will now start digging into the history of the 42 squadrons requirement.
AM Anil Chopra one of the finest IAF Officers and now in charge of the IAF think tank writes:
He goes on to describe the threat of a two-front war with Pakistan and China.
At the current pace of acquisitions and indigenous development, the IAF can reach the authorised 42 squadrons earliest by 2038. If India were to succeed, the IAF’s end state should be two squadrons of Mirage-2000, two of Jaguars, 14 Su-30 MKI, two of Rafale, 14 of LCA Mk I & II, two AMCA and six of the newly selected fighter, making a total of 42. That would mean building an average of 18 LCA a year.
Read more at:
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news ... squadrons/
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Wg Cdr T Sebastian (bless his soul) wrote in Deccan Herald
https://www.deccanherald.com/opinion/ma ... 76291.html
How many Squadrons does IAF need?
August 2020:
The industry icon and Indian aviation pioneer JRD Tata, who held the honorary two-star general IAF rank of Air Vice Marshal, headed a committee in the early 1960s to study the requirements for a fighter aircraft fleet. Its recommendations made the government authorize a force level of 42 fighter squadrons to counter threats from erstwhile West Pakistan, East Pakistan, and China.
He goes on to describe the type of aircraft fielded at that time. Am sure the real report probably has the exact breakdown of each type. And most likely the quantum of threat from those three fronts.
Now you see why and how the East Pakistan front was neutralized in 1971.
Wg Cdr Sebastian says Pak has 450 fighter planes and mostly second-line planes.
And China has 2100 fighter aircraft. However, he acknowledges they have other fronts to cover.
And the article is very balanced in describing how each plane in the current inventory fulfills a role.

Sad he retired as Wg CDr and should have been higher rank.

Still need more details.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

The Air Chief has opened Pandora's Box on BRF it seems.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:The Air Chief has opened Pandora's Box on BRF it seems.
He opened it everywhere, not just on BRF. The backlash on social media was hot enough for Nitin Gokhale to first put out a correction, which was quickly followed up by the Air Chief himself.
ShivS
BRFite

Post by ShivS »

kit wrote:
Rakesh wrote: Re.[/i]"
Well, it can be - but the entity that should fund part of the prototype construction is HAL - why not put some capital at risk in the program.

Typically ADA would be partly within HAL and partly within the IAF. The current structure is pretty unique.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Air Marshal Bhaduria and Air Marshal Dhanoa are my current favs at the moment. They might have gone only centimetres more than the current chief in the realm of Tejas Mk2 but they certainly went miles ahead in showing the support for the Local Development and Mk1 and Mk1a as compared to the current chief.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Admiral,

You stated
Really. The IN has in its own way it’s own worst enemy is it not.

Each class of its ships has been a 3 ship affair when having more would have given us economies of scale and speed in construction. This is just one example.

Submarines etc
Aircraft carrier etc

They are better than the IAF but surely competing strongly. Infact if the ATAGS order comes through then then IA will be the reigning champions of ANB.

Perhaps the above is the whisky talking but I am depressed at the decay I see.
ShivS
BRFite

Post by ShivS »

Rakesh wrote:

Re-emphasis :.[/i]"
I think we can use better language.

I can show you a million instances of Indian government organisations in the arms manufacturing space taking full advantage of the armed forces to supply shoddy and sub standard stuff. Can’t wish the past away.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ks_sachin wrote:Admiral,

You stated
That is not my quote :) I did not state that.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ShivS wrote:I think we can use better language.
The language was on point. Can you point me to otherwise?
ShivS wrote:I can show you a million instances of Indian government organisations in the arms manufacturing space taking full advantage of the armed forces to supply shoddy and sub standard stuff. Can’t wish the past away.
In turn, I can show you a myriad of examples where the armed forces have deliberately abused local platforms (during trials) to prove their lack of worth. Some examples are best not mentioned on an open forum, because it will open a can on worms. BRF's readership is wide and I would rather not do that.

So the past cannot be wished away, but to stick to the excuses of the past to justify not investing in local platforms is equally foolhardy. To continue the cycle of perpetual and unabated importing is really not a wise strategy. Lessons from the on-going war in Ukraine has not hit home.

The IAF is nothing more than a glorified end user. Product development is not something they are interested in entertaining.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Paydirt
Please download and read Chapters 5.6.and 7 of this IDSA book

https://www.idsa.in/system/files/book/b ... rity_0.pdf
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sachin, The three ships of a class was a conclusion by Adm Ramdas after consulting Indian industry and IN planners.
It was enough to recoup the costs. The next three ships in the same Project/class get phased in advances.

He gave an interview to Frontline in the early 1990s where he stated that.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ks_sachin wrote:The Air Chief has opened Pandora's Box on BRF it seems.
Frankly, in George Fernandes's times, he would be shown the door for insubordination.
Present govt is not like that.
Anyway hopefully he has said his stuff and its considered.

The Air Cdr Phadke book gives a lot of detail about IAF.*
Not vapid history but nitty gritty.
VRC should read it.

* The book's dedication page brought tears.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

ramana wrote:Kartik can you follow me or Disha on Twitter?
Sure Ramana sir, could you DM me your Twitter handle?
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Ramana sir thank you.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

ramana wrote:The Air Cdr Phadke book gives a lot of detail about IAF.*
Not vapid history but nitty gritty.
VRC should read it.

* The book's dedication page brought tears.
Can you please share the name of the book please? Are you referring to Air Cmde Ramesh Phadke?
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rakesh wrote: Different organizational culture.

Our Nau Sena has an in-house organization called the Directorate of Naval Design.

Nothing remotely like that exists in the Indian Air Force. The DND was born out of necessity.

Our Vayu Sena has never had to face anything similar in its existence. Everything was (and still is) just bought off the shelf.
Precisely!
The winged staff officers can't see beyond the imported crafts cockpit.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rakesh wrote: The IAF is nothing more than a glorified end user. Product development is not something they are interested in entertaining.
Problem w/IAF is totally lack of technology vision combined with innovation. One who can't envision, can't obviously specify feasible weapon systems within acceptable balance between risk and warfront reward.

So brochureites is ingrained and short sortie time in staff position with safe no-decision making is historically sanctioned.

Frankly the IAF flying officer crop is 3rd rated (or worse), with rare exceptions that are filtered away early from promotion to staff position.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

ramana wrote:Will now start digging into the history of the 42 squadrons requirement.
AM Anil Chopra one of the finest IAF Officers and now in charge of the IAF think tank writes:
He goes on to describe the threat of a two-front war with Pakistan and China.
At the current pace of acquisitions and indigenous development, the IAF can reach the authorised 42 squadrons earliest by 2038. If India were to succeed, the IAF’s end state should be two squadrons of Mirage-2000, two of Jaguars, 14 Su-30 MKI, two of Rafale, 14 of LCA Mk I & II, two AMCA and six of the newly selected fighter, making a total of 42. That would mean building an average of 18 LCA a year.
Read more at:
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news ... squadrons/
Nice. I find queer this nugget:
A feasibility study on the AMCA and its preliminary design stage has been completed and the project entered the detailed design phase in February 2019. The first flight is expected to be by around 2025-2026 and serial production might begin by 2030. The IAF is planning for two squadrons of AMCA Mark 1 and five squadrons of Mark 2 variant. There is also plan for an LCA variant of the AMCA in future. Ongoing consultation happened in November 2021 between the IAF, HAL, DRDO, ADA, MoD and the Minist ..
It could be single engine stealth design to match Roosi vapurware SU75 chick_mate(sic) stealth. But why call it LCA variant?
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Not so queer after all. ;)
Dr. V.K Saraswat, presently the Scientific Advisor to India's Defence Minister, delivered a keynote address at the recently held Aerospace Forum in Sweden that concluded on the 3rd of June, this year. Titled, 'Vision for India’s Future Aerospace and Defence', he spoke of some of big ticket Aerospace development projects currently underway or are to commence shortly.

Among these would be a programme to integrate technologies developed as part of India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft [AMCA] programme into the Light Combat Aircraft [LCA], Tejas. This variant would be identified as Mark III.

"Many of these technologies could also find their way into the Light Combat Aircraft Mk. 3 that is to be more stealthy than the current Mk. 2 version, which is due to fly in the next two years with the General Electric F414 engine and be ready for operational trials in 2016. The Mk. 3 is to have up to 70% composite content, almost double the current version's level, and could be powered by India's Kaveri turbofan, if that troubled program gets back on track."
Dr. V.K Saraswat
Scientific Advisor to India's Defence Minister
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 06, 2012
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheLegateIN/status/ ... W3vPXgcQXA --->
First firing unit of S-400 deployed. All deliveries to be completed by 2023 end: IAF CAS.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

If the mighty massa is going towards Single engine fighters with F35 and new cheaper F16 derivative - why not LCA MK III. Looks like SEFs are up to 70% of the fleet.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

The korean plane looks like what our TEDBF will look like.