Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Kartik »

India completes basic trainer trials
By Greg Waldron

India has completed flight trials for its new basic trainer aircraft, with the country's ministry of defence now considering the air force's flight evaluations.

"The flight evaluations are over, the reports are with the ministry, and the next step will be contract negotiations," says the Indian air force.

The service adds that a selection should be made quickly, although it did not provide a specific date. "We require trainers more than anything else, so the selection will be expedited."

In contention for the planned 75-aircraft deal are the Airbus Military-promoted PZL-130 Orlik, Alenia Aermacchi M-311, Embraer EMB-314 Super Tucano, Grob G120TP, Korea Aerospace Industries KT-1 and Pilatus PC-7.

Indian media reports have suggested the Beechcraft T-6C is also in contention, but the US manufacturer has not confirmed this.

The Indian defence ministry's initial request for proposals in early 2010 called for 75 aircraft to be purchased "off-the-shelf", and another 106 to be built by Hindustan Aeronautics under a joint venture.

Under current plans, the selected manufacturer will be required to deliver an initial batch of 12 aircraft within two years of a contract signature.

India also wants to develop and indigenous replacement to the HPT-32. At the recent Aero India show, a model of the proposed HTT-40 was on display at the HAL stand.

The HTT-40 will have an 11m (36ft) wing span, a fuselage length of 11.3m and a maximum take-off weight of 2,800kg (6,170lb). The type will be capable of flying at a maximum speed of 243kt (450km/h) and at altitudes up to 19,700ft.
link
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Thanks Jagan Sir - its my pleasure. Have just registered on the gallery; will transfer them here by tonight for increased viewing

Nukavarapu ji, still sifting through the documents i recieved - most irrelevant here. Will post them, including the LRDE one, if and when i can locate it

Not strictly a militry brochure, but did not want make a 2 line post elsewhere - a NAL document

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49695832/Indi ... tories-NAL

disabled the inconvenient feature of having to upload a document before one can download another from Scribd - do inform if the disabling did not happen
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kartik wrote:India completes basic trainer trials
By Greg Waldron
The type will be capable of flying at a maximum speed of 243kt (450km/h) and at altitudes up to 19,700ft.[/b]
link
Kartik, thank you for this update. I think these figures are from the board of AI'09. If my speculation is right, then we are looking at the 950 Shaft hp engine and a 1,000 km range.

I hope the IAF is onboard for this spec and doesn't start comparing with the like-weighted trainers which use 1400+ SHP to attain 30,000 -35,000ft (max altitudes), 550 kmph and 1500-2000 km range.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> we need MTA to replace the AN32 for cargo, not be a special ops platform or tanker.

it's much larger than the AN-32. it can't go everywhere the an-32 can, ALG's for example.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Isn't the Pilatus PC-7 outdated? Its a 1970s aircraft, to be replaced with PC 21, I think
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Rahul M wrote:>> we need MTA to replace the AN32 for cargo, not be a special ops platform or tanker.

it's much larger than the AN-32. it can't go everywhere the an-32 can, ALG's for example.
and that is why the RTA-70 is such a critical project!
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Singha wrote:why would we need to refuel helicopters in the air ? even the US might mount such a mission once a decade from JSOC.

if SF is the use, its better to modify some future MC-130J we acquire with pallet fuel tanks for the role - it already does that to MH60 and MH53 per pix.

we need MTA to replace the AN32 for cargo, not be a special ops platform or tanker.
unkil does it quite a bit i think - have seen lots of pics

kartik - trying to understand, the only thing that comes to mind is to move the (shedded) vortices away from the fuselage to create a wake 'free' zone immediately behind the fuselage where the helicopter can formate in lower turbulence/increased stability for refueling
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

"The Chabua station (102 Sqn, 14 Wing) is the easternmost fighter base of the country. It is the first line of defence in the east and the induction of the SU-30 will strengthen its capability," added Nohwar...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hope they are also building up full fledged military side facilities in guwahati, jorhat, silchar etc to operate as dispersed and recovery bases...
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Can we now confirm 7 sqds and about 140 a/c?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Cain Marko wrote:Can we now confirm 7 sqds and about 140 a/c?
7th one (No. 102) is currently being raised. If all earlier six are completely raised, then we have 18X6, so 108 aircraft + whatever number have been delivered to No. 102 till now.

But this is certainly welcome news. Maybe Baghdogra or Hashimara are next in line for a rambha squadron.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Signal intelligence systems to boost IAF's snooping power
"We are looking to induct airborne SIGINT systems which can be deployed on our medium size aircraft and are able to intercept, identify and locate electro magnetic emissions of modern ground and airborne radars," an IAF official told PTI in Delhi.

The aircraft should also be able to detect the counter-measures employed by enemies and intercept their communication signals, the official said.

The acquisition process has already been initiated by the IAF with the release of a global Request For Information (RFI) in this regard.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Will we ever know for sure how many Sukhois exist? Or any other type for that matter?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Will we ever know for sure how many Sukhois exist? Or any other type for that matter?
I hope we don't :)

That means the IAF does a good job :)
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

indranilroy wrote:The MRTA and the HTT-39/40 is moving so slowly that it hurts me. This when the IL-214 and the HTT-35 base designs have been present for such a long time!
I hope that HTT40 shouldn't take much time as HAL has already invested some resources in HTT35.
HTT 35 -> http://tiny.cc/HTT35
I was searching for the specs of HTT35 but could not find it. Would appreciate if somebody could provide it.

TIA
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

indranilroy wrote:
Rahul M wrote:>> we need MTA to replace the AN32 for cargo, not be a special ops platform or tanker.

RTA-70 is to be designed as a civilian aircraft and any design they come up with cannot both fulfill military and commercial at the same time. It would be completely wrong to believed that the RTA-70 can be a replacement for the An-32, while you could say that the An-32 replacement aircraft and the RTA-70 might use the same technology the actual airframe design would probably vastly different.
I guess the main requirement for such an aircraft would be the ability to operate effectively from AGLs(high altitude, short runways).
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Avinandan wrote: I was searching for the specs of HTT35 but could not find it. Would appreciate if somebody could provide it.

TIA
IMO the HTT 35 was superceded by HTT-40. this is pretty obvious because only this was offered to IAF 2 years ago as per Ajai shukla.
Ashok Nayak, chairman of HAL, told Business Standard: “Two years ago, we offered the IAF a replacement for the Deepak. This single-engine aircraft, which we call the Hindustan Turbo Trainer — 40 (HTT-40), can be delivered within six years.”
also an interesting bit -
Meanwhile, HAL is pushing the concept of Phase-4 training on a supersonic fighter: it’s newly-developed twin-seater Light Combat Aircraft. So far, the IAF hasn’t bought the idea.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... solve.html

HTT-40 specs here -

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... HTT-40.jpg
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

Which reconnaissance pods does IAF uses ...just learned that pukes were getting the latest DB-110/RAPTOR Airborne Reconnaissance Pods ??
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

pragnya wrote:
Avinandan wrote: I was searching for the specs of HTT35 but could not find it. Would appreciate if somebody could provide it.

TIA
IMO the HTT 35 was superceded by HTT-40. this is pretty obvious because only this was offered to IAF 2 years ago as per Ajai shukla.
Ashok Nayak, chairman of HAL, told Business Standard: “Two years ago, we offered the IAF a replacement for the Deepak. This single-engine aircraft, which we call the Hindustan Turbo Trainer — 40 (HTT-40), can be delivered within six years.”
also an interesting bit -
Meanwhile, HAL is pushing the concept of Phase-4 training on a supersonic fighter: it’s newly-developed twin-seater Light Combat Aircraft. So far, the IAF hasn’t bought the idea.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... solve.html

HTT-40 specs here -

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... HTT-40.jpg
Thanks for that Pragnya, however I had those info already :). Actually I wanted the HTT 35 specs in order to compare between HTT 35 and HTT 40 so as to speculate how much time HAL could take to prepare HTT 40.

As for the Phase 4 Supersonic Training, I dont think IAF will buy that. Most of the Air forces today follow 3 Phase training only. In case IAF would agree in future, then a souped up version of HJT-39/CombatAircraftTrainer could be HAL's candidate.
HJT-39: http://frontierindia.net/revisiting-ind ... er-project
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Indian Armed Forces set to induct around 1,000 helicopters by 2020

The list of helicopters include 450 light utility, 12 VVIP, over 200 attack, 139 Mi-17 transport, 15 heavy-lift helicopters and over 50 multi-role helicopters for the Navy.

As per the MoD, the trials for the Light Utility helicopters (LUH) have been completed. A vendor would be chosen this year to supply 197 LUHs to the Army and the Air Force.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

abhik wrote:
indranilroy wrote:
RTA-70 is to be designed as a civilian aircraft and any design they come up with cannot both fulfill military and commercial at the same time. It would be completely wrong to believed that the RTA-70 can be a replacement for the An-32, while you could say that the An-32 replacement aircraft and the RTA-70 might use the same technology the actual airframe design would probably vastly different.
I guess the main requirement for such an aircraft would be the ability to operate effectively from AGLs(high altitude, short runways).
Abhik,
I don't understand what you mean when you say that a civilian version cannot be adopted for military use. There are numerous examples of the same. Case in point An-32 itself is used for military and civilian use.

The turboprop version of the RTA is being build to be able to operate from austere airfields (it's high wing and T tail are ideal for this). Being a turboprop, it will have short take off and landing run. Being a turboprop will also help in the rarefied ALG environment. This along with the configuration that the propwash flows over around the wing for added lift. Infact, NAL projects a requirement of about 400 such planes, 250 of them are for civilian, 150 of them are An-32 replacements of the IAF. Infact, the break up for me of that 150 is the 105 (An-32) + 32 (Avros).

Anyways you can validate my claims from these two reports. Actually if you google there are many hits on the first page.
India’s NAL to build RTA-70
NAL is also expecting a demand of at least 150 military jets which will replace the current Antonov An-32 which are used in the Indian Air Force.
You can find similar news here
http://www.flightglobal.com/features/aero-india-special/regional-ambition/

P.S. Errata: there is no civilian version of the An-32, but there are other examples.
Last edited by Indranil on 03 Mar 2011 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

See it is a very simple logic,civilian planes are more standardized in order to save money,like they can only take off from metalled runways etc so their engines,airframe,landing gear is cheaper to maintain because it suffers less stress and wear.But if a civilian aircraft is being made to operate in such conditions then why cant it be used to operate in a military role of something like cargo lifting etc . It may not be able to perform certain functions like airdrops but who CARES ?
as long as it does the job nobody minds.For other functions more specialized planes can be used.that is what i think.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Was told that a bunch of NRIs with connections to procurement process in India are seeking other Indians to work in game-role playing work for Defence contractors in massa. The need appears to be to game a range of responses/options that desi officials can throw at the defence contractor.

:(
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

aniket wrote:See it is a very simple logic,civilian planes are more standardized in order to save money,like they can only take off from metalled runways etc so their engines,airframe,landing gear is cheaper to maintain because it suffers less stress and wear.But if a civilian aircraft is being made to operate in such conditions then why cant it be used to operate in a military role of something like cargo lifting etc . It may not be able to perform certain functions like airdrops but who CARES ?
as long as it does the job nobody minds.For other functions more specialized planes can be used.that is what i think.
Some of this theory about military version being more rugged than civilian ones is not true. Surely it is true for some things but not to the extent that the airframe/LG/engines are better. They are better if the military version is supposed to carry higher load than the civilian version (for same amount of internal volume, cargo pellets are more densely packed from floor to roof than people sitting in rows). But not otherwise.
Especially this is not true for the engines at least. A lot of the civil and military versions share the same engine. So the engines are quite ruggedized for any of the operations. The civilian versions are generally used quite extensively. Take a regular civilian plane. It flies over 10 hours a day. Planes on long haul routes fly 15-16 hours a day for 30 years. So it is not true that engines of civilian versions are inferior in any way.

Also the civilian versions generally have more take off and landings per day. Especially the ones plying on short haul 1 hour flights would be making 10-15 takeoff+landings per day. You would be amazed to see the ruggedness of the LGs of those planes (not surprisingly the LG is the second most expensive part on a plane after the engine and the gap between the second and third is generally quite huge). For the heavy planes in any AF, they don't regularly take off and land at unprepared strips. No plane neither civilian, nor military is expected to land and take off from "austere" fields throughout it's lifetime.

The problems of converting from a civilian to a cargo plane lies else where.
1. The lower the cargo plane lies near the ground the easier it is to load. With a civilian plane it is not so and designers like to keep certain ground clearance for easy checks etc.
2. One has to design a rear loading ramp and quite contrary to what most people think, this is unglamorous part is quite an engineering marvel.
3. A cargo plane is much flatter at the bottom near the ramp. The ramp is ideally a rectangle. This leads to a squarish rear fuselage in the plan view. However in a civilian aircraft it is better to to be near the Sears haack body for more refined drag. This will be in my opinion the biggest change RTA-70 in its civilian and military avatar. The rear fuselage IMHO will be different. In fact I would not be surprised if in the military variant they go for a conventional tail assembly on the military version like the C-130/An-32.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Validates Kartik's 150% maximum load testing theory.
Broadsword quiz on IJT-36

Between, say hello to ventral fins (actually a little surprisingly for me) from IJT LSP-2.
Click on image for high res.
bahdada
BRFite

Post by bahdada »

Mikhail Simonov, 81, Designer of Soviet Air Force Workhorse, Dies
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/world ... ss&emc=rss

Mikhail Simonov, an aircraft designer whose Sukhoi jet fighter became an essential part of the Soviet defense industry and a cash cow for post-Communist Russia, died here on Friday. He was 81.

When state defense orders ground to a near halt after the demise of the Soviet Union in 1991, Mr. Simonov played a critical role in winning lucrative export deals. The government sold hundreds of fighters to China, India and other foreign customers under contracts worth billions of dollars.

RIP
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

fromwen <wen@163cn.com>
to br

dateSat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM
hide details 12:32 AM (13 hours ago)

WOW ! Thank you for your hard work, I as a chinese thank you for revealing all those hidden and otherwise non-obtainable data through spies.Thank you so much for so easily providing all those to us.People like you are really good for our china, we do not need spy to send to india for any info.People like you already giving all the details with so much proud, thank you so much.
ALSO TELL US DETAILS ABOUT MILITARY,NAVAL AND AIR BASES WITH PHOTOS AND MISSILE LOCATIONS WITH THE STRENGTH OF ALL THE MOVABLE AND NON MOVABLE ASSETS, thank you once again. We admire your hard work, China do not need any spy for India, all it needs is Indian media and bloggers, and also India do not need enemy as it is already having good media and blogger(to be it's enemy and destroy from inside)Thank you so much dude.Looking forward for more details from you for all those HAL PICS AND AIRPLANES PICS, that's all very good to analyze and accomodate in our design many times.Thank you for telling us about all those SO CALLED TOPE SECRET PROJECTS through your blogs time to time.
thanks a lot, I am overwhelmed by your help for our great country the peoples republic of china.
Also convery our thanks to times of india , zeenews, hindustan times and so on.. for their hard work and strong help to us and saving us money and time (which otherwise we could have spent for spy and other things).
In china we don't have any way to know so much details of strategic things even about our own PLA but we know much more about India's plan and projects through your GOOD MEDIA AND BLOGGERS.
Thanks a lot again. The refering page is http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/
:D :D
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The same Wen who said that China does not steal? That China is entitled to at least some part of the research done by Chinese who migrate? That in some way China actually funds such research effort and therefore it is OK for China to tap research done outside China?

BR changed that Wen into this?

:eek: :shock: :) :lol: (May have to pay a fine for using so many smileys.)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> TOPE SECRET PROJECTS

tope ? do I smell rahul mehta's cannons for commons anywhere ? :P
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

I think this is best post wen ever made...its slightly ironical, open world can be too tough for some to exist, he has projected his lack access to free speech as a symbol of freedom for himself...quiet unnatural though...
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Su-30s are undeniably the most maneuverable planes to have ever been flown. The first time I had heard about Mikhail Simonov was this interview which appeared in Vayu.

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/interview-simonov1.html

It is not a treasure trove or something ... but it gives the insight behind "super-maneuverability" ... Some anecdotes into how new maneuvers like the "bell" maneuver came into existence.

It also shows the legend of Pugachev. Russia has for years provided pilots who were true mavericks. Pugacheve would be quite up there in that list. He was taking a plane (Su-27) certified at max 24 degree AoA to 60 degrees and more. This when the chief designer was afraid for his life!

Some others who were discussing flat spin few pages back might also like to know about Su-27/30s recovery from flat spin (the Russians like to call it stupor). And how a wind-tunel model behaved differently from a 1:2 model and from the actual plane.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

X-post:
sum wrote:Some bad news from AI-11:
Bribe-for-display taint to Aero India 2011
Within days of its successful hosting here, Aero India 2011 has been tainted by allegations that an Indian Air Force (IAF) officer accepted bribes in large sums of money, including in euros, from foreign exhibitors for giving some of them favourable positions in the ''static display area.''

A Court of Inquiry (CoI) has been ordered against Wing Commander Thakur on the basis of a report of Assistant Provost Marshall (Bangalore), Wing Commander Vijay Kumar.

This report was sent to Air Headquarters in New Delhi a few days after February 12, the day Wg Cdr Thakur was allegedly caught red-handed accepting Rs 20,000 in marked currency notes from a decoy which the Department of Defence Productions and Supplies had employed to lay the trap. Thakur, previously a fighter pilot, had later moved to flying IAF transport aircraft.

The CoI is being presided over by Group Captain Daniel Victor. The trap was set up after allegations surfaced that Wg Cdr Thakur was seen accepting money on the first two days of Aero India from foreign exhibitors. According to preliminary investigations, he is suspected to have collected three lakh euros. IAF officers, like Wg Cdr Thakur, were decision makers to position exhibits in the static display area and they had leverage to favour some exhibitors over others.

Wg Cdr Kumar’s report has raised questions of not just the involvement of other senior IAF officers in the bribes-for-favourable-placements case, but also suspects that previous Aero India shows in Bangalore may also have been tainted with under-the-table dealings.

Senior Ministry of Defence (MoD) officials disclosed to Deccan Herald that soon after he was trapped, Wg Cdr Thakur first called up a Bangalore-based superior officer whose name is being withheld for legal reasons.

Honey traps used

It is reliably learnt that three weeks before the five-day Aero India show, which began in Yelahanka near here on February 9, Wg Cdr Thakur was counter-intelligence officer at the Yelahanka air base and was shifted to oversee the arrangements at the static display area along with another officer.

What has shocked the IAF community in Bangalore and the MoD is allegations that European women were employed to “soften up” officers who were involved with making arrangements for Aero India 2011.

A photograph of an Air Marshall in the company of a European woman believed to be a commercial sex worker has been found and which, along with a separate report, has been sent to the MoD in South Block, New Delhi.

While the CoI will probe Wg Thakur’s case, parallel investigations by the IAF, the MoD and the Intelligence Bureau (IB) will likely inquire into suspicions that senior officers might have links with foreign aircraft manufacturers.

The IB station in Bangalore is understood to have sent a detailed report to the Defence ministry and the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Only word which comes to mind is utter disgust.. :x :x
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote:Some bad news from AI-11:
Bribe-for-display taint to Aero India 2011
Well if it happens and it is not exposed it would be worse than knowing that it can happen and does happen even in Aero India. This rubbish certainly happens everywhere else in India

Those most respected of professionals - medical doctors have long been legally bribed by pharmaceutical companies and a mirror held to our own society is a step forward.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

I wonder how this will affect the MRCA deal. Whichever company paid those bribes, needs to be pushed out of the competition. their evaluation results will be suspect as well. if they paid 3,00,000 Euros for prime stalls then how much would they have offered for evaluation results that would put them on top ?

This also makes it clear as to how people (and sadly even officers, IA, IAF and maybe even IN) in power can and will scuttle desi programs just so that they can get a videshi vendor the deal and get a commission. Extremely saddening.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Marten wrote:The bigger issue is that Wg Cdr Thakur is projected here as a counter-intelligence officer.
Well it does seem to go counter to any intelligence that I can think of..
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Jagan wrote:
fromwen <wen@163cn.com>
to br

dateSat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM
hide details 12:32 AM (13 hours ago)

WOW ! Thank you for your hard work, I as a chinese thank you for revealing all those hidden and otherwise non-obtainable data through spies.Thank you so much for so easily providing all those to us.People like you are really good for our china, we do not need spy to send to india for any info.People like you already giving all the details with so much proud, thank you so much.
ALSO TELL US DETAILS ABOUT MILITARY,NAVAL AND AIR BASES WITH PHOTOS AND MISSILE LOCATIONS WITH THE STRENGTH OF ALL THE MOVABLE AND NON MOVABLE ASSETS, thank you once again. We admire your hard work, China do not need any spy for India, all it needs is Indian media and bloggers, and also India do not need enemy as it is already having good media and blogger(to be it's enemy and destroy from inside)Thank you so much dude.Looking forward for more details from you for all those HAL PICS AND AIRPLANES PICS, that's all very good to analyze and accomodate in our design many times.Thank you for telling us about all those SO CALLED TOPE SECRET PROJECTS through your blogs time to time.
thanks a lot, I am overwhelmed by your help for our great country the peoples republic of china.
Also convery our thanks to times of india , zeenews, hindustan times and so on.. for their hard work and strong help to us and saving us money and time (which otherwise we could have spent for spy and other things).
In china we don't have any way to know so much details of strategic things even about our own PLA but we know much more about India's plan and projects through your GOOD MEDIA AND BLOGGERS.
Thanks a lot again. The refering page is http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/
:D :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: BR has detail info on china also. Pity he missed .