Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by Sanku »

amit wrote:
Sanku wrote:You are not aware of the GoI shortlist
Please educate me, I'm always willing to learn. I'm sure the future piliable General's name is in the shortlist. :)
I know a IED when I see one.

But its not relevant, lets worry about shortlists a year from now. :wink:
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Badar wrote:
Pranav wrote:Surely you are not unaware of the KGB payments?
Ah, the KGB payments. No further questions at the moment your honor.
Why, would you be surprised if Maino had been on KGB payroll?

Anyway, for those few who may be unaware, details may be found in an article by Rajunder Puri here - http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Cont ... leID=10564
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Badar wrote: What I wanted to make absolutely clear is that it is expressly not within the ambit of the Armed Forces to fix the corruption in the Raisina Hill or South Block however blatant and terrible it may be. They can resign (and should) and then fight it all they want.
I some what disagree, if the corruption, monetary or otherwise is within the scope of their powers and operations (such as political pressure to sell defence land say) or whether as in this case of arbitrary, unfair and discriminatory application of powers;

It is incumbent upon the men in uniform to protect their institutions, and quite within the expected and offered (as rules) powers.
Forgive me, yes indeed you did. "they want a chief who will do as they want, it can be used in multiple places -- implementing religious quotas in army, withdrawl from siachien and what not". Gets a little hard to keep track in the blur of posts.

So they want a general who would cooperate in implementing the policy the government of the day (irrespective of the General's own opinion of their policy). Can't fault the government for asking that however much you might fault the government for those policies in the first place.
Yes and no. There are issues at multiple levels

1) Govt may ask the IA chief to carry out a extra-constitutional step. This they can resist fully (see above) with both the letter and spirit of the law.

2) A govt asks the IA chief to go against the spirit of the law if not the letter (such as in Nehru-Kaul nepotism case) -- there it might make sense for the IA to go to court and seek clarity (some one should have sued Nehru for nepotism in Kaul's case frankly -- today some one would)

3) The issue is not against law per se, but against national intrests, say asking IA to disband itself. That IA can resist within all the bureaucratic wranglings that are available to it. (Its been known to happen)

In short the GoI does not have a divine right over any part of the establishment, including the forces, it is a question of taking everyone along as they go forth -- suitable leadership is needed. Forces are not a brute dumb weapon to be used on a whim as one pleases.
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Sanku, I am wholly in agreement with your last post save point three. If asked to disband they must do so forthwith without hesitation or argument. The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.

On topic though, is VKS's DoB stand one of those where the cost-benefit ratio benefits the army and its institution?
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Sanku wrote:I know a IED when I see one.

Sanku,

On a serious note, I'm glad you understand that speculating that the future COAS would be piliable puppet in the hands of INC or any other political organisation is such an IED, as you call it. It's one thing to call politicians names and compare them with the likes of Mugabe - it just becomes a question of your credibility. It's a totally different thing to allege that a future COAS would be a Manchurian Candidate - in effect that he would commit treason - without any shred of evidence. For all you know the next COAS may display more balls than the whole of the Cabinet combined.

JMT
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

all of a sudden all the news pertaining to DOB have died down!

May be because:
The government has also realised that Gen Singh has a good case in court since he has a birth certificate from Military hospital in Pune as well as a school leaving certificate that records his age as May 10, 1951.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_wa ... gh_1639419

All naa-mard bikau media has goe silent.
Last edited by Murugan on 19 Jan 2012 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Badar wrote:The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.

This argument would be valid where there is transparency in the election process.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

The options before Govt are limited while case is with SC.
Things would be clear if SC sends the case to AFT which is unlikely since another PIL on the same issue is coming tomorrow.

If Govt asks COAS to go on leave or remove him or if successor is announced or if argument about line of succession is peddled before SC , the Govt case is doomed. There is no rule which sanctifies line of succession.

And if SC gives stay order on MOD directive and COAS would continue beyond May 2012 notwithstanding his assertion in plaint. If case is dragged on without stay then COAS would retire and Govt would have saved the day. But if eventually he wins then the position of the incumbent would be difficult as he would be seen as usurper and AKA would be gone from DM in ignominious exit .

Govt can not curtail the term of COAS also as it would invite the charge of manipulation and raise issues for future COAS since either way line of succession would be broken. And if DOB manipulation is proved then COAS would serve full term and Govt would have embarrassment. Who would resign in the even: AKA, GEV or someone in MOD.

Surely somebody has erred big time in MOD.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chaanakya wrote:The options before Govt are limited while case is with SC.
Things would be clear if SC sends the case to AFT which is unlikely since another PIL on the same issue is coming tomorrow.

If Govt asks COAS to go on leave or remove him or if successor is announced or if argument about line of succession is peddled before SC , the Govt case is doomed. There is no rule which sanctifies line of succession.

And if SC gives stay order on MOD directive and COAS would continue beyond May 2012 notwithstanding his assertion in plaint. If case is dragged on without stay then COAS would retire and Govt would have saved the day. But if eventually he wins then the position of the incumbent would be difficult as he would be seen as usurper and AKA would be gone from DM in ignominious exit .

Govt can not curtail the term of COAS also as it would invite the charge of manipulation and raise issues for future COAS since either way line of succession would be broken. And if DOB manipulation is proved then COAS would serve full term and Govt would have embarrassment. Who would resign in the even: AKA, GEV or someone in MOD.

Surely somebody has erred big time in MOD.
St Antony along with his dopey advisers are culpable jointly and severally.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Shiv Aroor in Indiatoday blog

6. The man squarely responsible for the confrontation precipitating into this embarrassing crisis is not the Prime Minister, not Pranab Mukherjee, but Defence Minister A.K Antony alone, considering that he was abreast of all developments at every step of the way but still chose dumbfounding incompetence, hubris and denial over alacrity, empathy and a sense of the larger dignity of the establishments under his watch.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I love the faith some still have in the elected representatives even after this sordid Govts perf.

Badar would like a cleanup but no mention of the damn govt

while discussing the Govt is OT for this - the two groups that need to be whipped is the MS branch and MOD

One should see the discussions and emails from ex servicemen in various groups (diff NDA batches, regimental groups)

The MS branch is reviled and loathed - one would think its the PA :)
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Was forced to accept wrong year
The Army Chief in his 68-page petition reveals that “the alleged admission was not a free admission”.

“Rather it was made in a hurry and not with total independence but under apprehension of some proceeding being initiated, as the petitioner (Singh) is a disciplined member of the Forces,” he explained.

Referring to then Military Secretary PR Gangadharan’s letter on January 21, 2008 informing him that his official year of birth will be 1950, Singh said he had to accept the “direction” in a reply on January 31, 2008.

“However, the alleged ‘acceptance’ cannot be treated as an admission on the part of the petitioner (Singh). It is pertinent to state herein that the acceptance in the letter dated 31.01.2008 was given in good faith and in the interest of the organisation,” he said.

In fact, Singh said he had “accepted” his year of birth as 1950 only in “good faith and in the interest of the organisation”, largely influenced by the assurances from the then Army Chief.

Singh said it was after a telephonic conversation with the then Army Chief that he decided to send a signal communication on January 24, 2008 to inform that 1950 was “acceptable as desired by then then chief of army staff and in organisational interest”. He said that his letters to the MS Branch both on January 30 and 31 of 2008 accepting his date of birth as 10.5.1950 was again on the orders of the then Army Chief.

“In the highest traditions of the Indian Army, he had no option but to comply... as also the assurances of his superior officer with the hope that he would bring the issue to a logical and ethical conclusion by accepting facts,” he said. But Singh said in his petition that further letters to the then Army Chief seeking action on the determination of his age were not replied to.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Pranav wrote:
Badar wrote:The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.

This argument would be valid where there is transparency in the election process.
enough of that here. post on topic or stick to CT threads in strat.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Hoo boy... St Antony has finally realised that he has been hoodwinked by a bunch of babus! What he should do now, is declare that a mistake has been made, restore Gen Singh's tenure, and announce that he is firing the Defence Secretary for having provided wrong advice which could have jeopardised national security!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

aroor says
5. The sense that the army is fully behind their Chief is patently false; A significant number believe the Chief has obsessed with the issue to the point of embarrassing the service.
As chetan, Kaps, kunal etc - people who are in touch with hundreds of such folks have mentioned

thats not the case

aroor is BSing all the way

and when Aroor talks of honor

I feel the urge to take a dip in the Ganges
Last edited by Surya on 19 Jan 2012 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Badar wrote: The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.
I have to strongly object. elected representatives cannot be the sole arbiters of national interest, because they are not domain experts. they are expected to take policy decisions but that is guided by the wisdom of the domain experts, from civilian, military and intel bureaucracy.
national interest is far too important to be left to the politicians, every stake holder has to have a say.

more importantly, what national interest is going to be served by insulting a chief and calling him liar ?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Surya wrote:aroor says
5. The sense that the army is fully behind their Chief is patently false; A significant number believe the Chief has obsessed with the issue to the point of embarrassing the service.
As chetan, Kaps, kunal etc - people who are in touch with hundreds of such folks have mentioned

thats not the case

aroor is BSing all the way

and when Aroor talks ofhonor

I feel the urge to take a dip in the Ganges

@Surya: ROFLOL!

I agree 100%

And honestly, the jarnails and air marshals flapping their yaps against the chief on TV on a matter which is subjudice, know fully well that the Chief is 100% correct. Theyre just hoping that a little bit of Mir Jaffer tactics will help them ascend to Gubernatorial office, or some other crumb thrown from the Babu's dining table...
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Badar wrote:Sanku, I am wholly in agreement with your last post save point three. If asked to disband they must do so forthwith without hesitation or argument. The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.
No they are not. People of India are the sole arbiters of national interest. Which include then men in uniform with various powers vested to them through constitution being part of GoI, a part of executive.

No more and no less than elected legislature. Another part of GoI.

This hype about "elected representative being sole arbiters of national interest" is completely false.

And this is not my view -- this is how it is in the constitution. So I am afraid you are plain wrong here. The elected representatives have to be taken down a peg or two in terms of their power (in peoples mind and perception) and more direct democracy has to come in, including more delegation of powers to citizens who are members of executive.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Rahul M wrote:
Badar wrote: The armed forces are not the arbiters of national interest, the elected representatives are.
I have to strongly object. elected representatives cannot be the sole arbiters of national interest, because they are not domain experts. they are expected to take policy decisions but that is guided by the wisdom of the domain experts, from civilian, military and intel bureaucracy.
national interest is far too important to be left to the politicians, every stake holder has to have a say.
I saw this after I posted a reply much on similar lines. Agree 100% with Rahul M here.

Both national intrests in the implicit sense and power in the explicit sense through the constitution has to be wielded jointly and severally.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

amit wrote:
Sanku wrote:I know a IED when I see one.

Sanku,

On a serious note, I'm glad you understand that speculating that the future COAS would be piliable puppet in the hands of INC or any other political organisation is such an IED, as you call it. It's one thing to call politicians names and compare them with the likes of Mugabe - it just becomes a question of your credibility. It's a totally different thing to allege that a future COAS would be a Manchurian Candidate - in effect that he would commit treason - without any shred of evidence. For all you know the next COAS may display more balls than the whole of the Cabinet combined.

JMT
Amit. I would like to state that often (almost always) as is the case, you have taken words which have not been said, replaced the real words by imaginary words and redrafted what others (at least I am) are saying to meet your idea of debate.

To reiterate what I have said

1) Culpability is INCs

2) Reason is to have a more pliant chief to meet their idea of running the country (to rest of non congress apologists we consider it running the country into a gutter)

3) It is possible for INC to fiddle with succession to find more pliant officer(s) -- all officers of the Armed forces may not be equally difficult to ride rough shod over

No more no less.

This idea of converting the above statements into a discussion on serving personal is your own alone -- mischievous and for obvious reasons of trying to create more friction and remove the focus.

Thanks but no thanks.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Murugan wrote:all of a sudden all the news pertaining to DOB have died down!

May be because:
The government has also realised that Gen Singh has a good case in court since he has a birth certificate from Military hospital in Pune as well as a school leaving certificate that records his age as May 10, 1951.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_wa ... gh_1639419

All naa-mard bikau media has goe silent.
From the article-
For the last two months, finance minister Pranab Mukherjee was acting as an interlocutor on behalf of the UPA government with Gen Singh. However, a petition filed by the army veterans, the Grenadiers Association, was coming up which could have vitiated Gen Singh’s options to go to court. The Grenadier’s petition was full of basic mistakes which are expected to be rejected by the apex court. To prevent such a prejudice building up, Gen Singh rushed through his petition on Monday morning.
Who is this grenadier's association?.
why did they do this to VKS. The report mentions that petition is full of basic mistakes and would have been rejected by the court.
1) IOW this association is trying to scr*w royally the COAS.
2) Does this association have any association with GOI mandarins.
3) Again due to the above antics VKS was forced to protect his honour and dignity. This petition would have sullied his name forever. GOI would have the last laugh damaging VKS credibility and also his post retirement benefits.

I am all the more sympathetic to VKS. I want him to continue as COAS as this rightfully belongs to him till 2013 or whatever according to the rules.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

<Surprising that the superduper lady and amul baby missing in action. They could have been tomtomed as the saviour of IA and GOI by the DDM.
This is an easy issue which would have earned accolades with all partymen and supporters.> :(( :(( :oops: :cry:

As they are not in action, something is amiss and more important.
1) Electorally not important. They dont care about COAS being sullied.
2) Can put an end to army investigations into scandals which can implicate them????(dunno if real or some skeletons tumbling out)
3) some concessions to napakis and their terrorists chelas as mentioned earlier.

Some wild CTs onlee. :(( :((
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

TimesNow reporting.
Harish Khare , former HIndu Editor leaves the post of PMO media adviser. Pankaj Pachauri from NDTV takes over as Media Adviser and report directly to Principal Secy PMO.
Watch NDTV for making over image of PM which has taken severe battering of late.
Any relevance??
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Interesting to note that at least one former IN admiral supported the general in this whereas sundry ex-IAF people sided with the government.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ inter service rivalry.

@ all
guys, could we keep the overtly political comments out of this thread ? otherwise we would be forced to close down this thread and start one sans the DOB issue.

no politics discussion will be allowed on mil forum, period.
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

Sanku wrote:
amit wrote:Sanku,

JMT
Amit. I would like to state that often (almost always) as is the case, you have taken words which have not been said, replaced the real words by imaginary words and redrafted what others (at least I am) are saying to meet your idea of debate.

1) Culpability is INCs

2) Reason is to have a more pliant chief to meet their idea of running the country (to rest of non congress apologists we consider it running the country into a gutter)

3) It is possible for INC to fiddle with succession to find more pliant officer(s) -- all officers of the Armed forces may not be equally difficult to ride rough shod over
You may wish to familiarise yourself with COAS selection procedures before peddling such foolish conspiracy theories. And also reconsider your implicit accusation against Lt Gen Bikram Singh, GOC Eastern Command.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Rahul M wrote:
The word used was "arbiter", which means someone who exercises judgment and makes decisions.

An arbiter should certainly get inputs from domain experts, but the buck stops with the arbiter.

So Badar's POV does have some validity, subject to a proper understanding of the word "elected", particulars of which are unmentionable in this thread.

One may argue that participatory democracy as practiced in nations like Iceland or Switzerland is a better model than representative democracy, but that is a different discussion.
Last edited by Pranav on 19 Jan 2012 19:43, edited 3 times in total.
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Rahul M wrote:
I have to strongly object. elected representatives cannot be the sole arbiters of national interest, because they are not domain experts. they are expected to take policy decisions but that is guided by the wisdom of the domain experts, from civilian, military and intel bureaucracy. national interest is far too important to be left to the politicians, every stake holder has to have a say.
Rahul, Sanki, I agree every stakeholder has to have a say - in the form of advice, opinion and equally vital - dissent when necessary. But the final decision is the prerogative of the executive branch. There is no second guessing or opposing it once it is made. You either implement it unreservedly or you resign and go public with your opposition.

The government IS the sole arbiter of national security. That is the way it is, and that is the way it should be. Any other way is an invitation to disaster.

I must admit I am rather surprised that you and Sanku would think otherwise and am at a loss of words. Is this opinion also prevalent in the forces as well? There are chilling implication considering that India is nuclear weapons state under standing threat from two other nuclear weapons states.
more importantly, what national interest is going to be served by insulting a chief and calling him liar ?
I dunno, the whole thing is quite petty.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Army Chief Crisis: UPA & Judiciary equally to blame
Whatever the eventual fate of Gen. Vijay Kumar Singh and his petition seeking legal remedy on the issue of his date of birth, the responsibility for driving the glorious institution of the Indian Army and its Chief into this fight rests on the shoulders of the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister, the Cabinet, the UPA supremo + Caucus, and above all, the Supreme Court.
Informed sources say Mr. Anthony was ‘guided’ by a Caucus around the UPA’s non-official leadership. This is why he shunned the advice of the Law Ministry and opted for the ‘opinion’ of the Attorney General who, along with a Senior Advocate who was inspired to go ballistic against Gen. Singh in a leading weekly magazine, seems to have been briefed by the same sources. This is unbecoming conduct which the Bar Council should scrutinize.

The UPA’s shenanigans in the past four months invite contempt. What was the ‘amicable solution’ that Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was trying to work out, when all he had to do was to endorse the veracity of Gen. Singh’s claims? And given the virtual barrage of vicious articles in the media, what was Prime Minister Manmohan Singh doing to restore the dignity of the Armed Services and the Army Chief? Other ministers like P. Chidambaram and Salman Khurshid who spoke on the issue, and National Security Advisor Shiv Shanker Menon, will have to explain their role in cooking this vile broth.
Chief Justice S. H. Kapadia, like Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, should have appreciated that a festering sore of this nature was hurting the morale of the Army. Hence, when the Grenadiers Association (Rohtak Chapter) filed a PIL (WP 513/2011) in the first week of December 2011, it should have received high priority. When the apex court heard the petition on 16 Dec. 2011, and Mr. Justice T.S. Thakur recused himself for personal reasons, a new bench should have been assigned forthwith. The Court showed no such urgency until Senior Advocate Bhim Singh urged the Chief Justice to assign the case to a new bench; now the petition of the Army Chief has overtaken matters.

Had the Supreme Court risen to the occasion, a simple scrutiny of records could have settled the issue expeditiously and saved the Nation from a crisis of unforeseen dimensions, with a highly respected institution like the Army embroiled in a mess created by a Political-Bureaucratic Nexus that citizens despise.
Briefly, on 21 July 2011, the Union Ministry of Defence vide order No.23 (1)/2011-D (MS) fixed Gen. V.K. Singh’s date of birth as 10 May 1950. :rotfl: (birth of army chief fixed by GOI)he Prime Minister refused to accept a memorandum from a group of MPs urging him to adopt a view in accordance with settled principles of law and natural justice.
Concerned citizens are convinced that there is a sinister plot to undermine Army morale. The present Army Chief has made many enemies with his drive against those involved in Housing, Land and other scams. The attempt to shunt such a man out before the end of his legitimate tenure is part of a conspiracy by corrupt politicians-bureaucrats-contractors to cover their flanks.
Leave it to the brfites to make their own opinions.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Amitabh wrote:
Sanku wrote:

1) Culpability is INCs

You may wish to familiarise yourself with COAS selection procedures before peddling such foolish conspiracy theories. And also reconsider your implicit accusation against Lt Gen Bikram Singh, GOC Eastern Command.
You may wish to familiarize yourself with English language before attempting communication on the same.

Also you may want to read the moderators note on not allowing further discussions on the political ramifications of the same.

Much obliged.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Pranav wrote: The word used was "arbiter", which means someone who exercises judgment and makes decisions.

An arbiter should certainly get inputs from domain experts, but the buck stops with the arbiter.

So Badar's POV does have some validity, subject to a proper understanding of the word "elected", particulars of which are unmentionable in this thread.
It still does not have validity. Since clearly the three pillars (and now four with Lokaukta) have jointly and severally held such powers.

Of course representing the will of the people as a whole in the final analysis. I am afraid he is -- just wrong.
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Sanku wrote:People of India are the sole arbiters of national interest. Which include then men in uniform with various powers vested to them through constitution being part of GoI, a part of executive.

No more and no less than elected legislature. Another part of GoI.

This hype about "elected representative being sole arbiters of national interest" is completely false.

And this is not my view -- this is how it is in the constitution. So I am afraid you are plain wrong here.
Sanku, your views on the Constitution of India are, how to phrase it, unorthodox.

"People are sole arbiters" sounds good in an republic day speech. In practice we delegate this authority to the Union Cabinet collectively with singular concentration of power and responsibility with the first minister.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Sanku wrote: It still does not have validity. Since clearly the three pillars (and now four with Lokaukta) have jointly and severally held such powers.

Of course representing the will of the people as a whole in the final analysis. I am afraid he is -- just wrong.
There is only one pillar for executive actions.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Badar wrote: The government IS the sole arbiter of national security. .
As I said, that is incorrect. Often enough courts play a role.

For example -- SC ruling on Salwa Judum. A clear national security issue, however the modalities decided by courts.

Acting as per laws made by the legislature which is not exactly the Govt.

Kindly stop taking the line you are taking -- it is just untenable and simply wrong.

This is not a Govt is God autocracy with all powers vested simply into the Govt.

For example -- one reason why any Govt will not be able to take a decision on Kashmir will be because the legislature has specific things to say.

So for country's sake -- please stop. There was a reason why constitution makers did not put all the power into single hand.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Pranav wrote:
Sanku wrote: It still does not have validity. Since clearly the three pillars (and now four with Lokaukta) have jointly and severally held such powers.

There is only one pillar for executive actions.
But that in only under the direction and watch of the other two.

There is neither a primacy nor a supremacy of executive. Please refer to the post above.
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Sanku wrote:So for country's sake -- please stop.
Righto sanku.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

I couldn't make head or tail of it so posting in full. Perhaps it was best ignored.

Posting as bad journalism needs to be highlighted and the level to which issue is being trivialized. This is not some reporter story, it is an editorial.

Hindustan Times
Martial differences
January 17, 2012First Published: 21:49 IST(17/1/2012)
Last Updated: 21:51 IST(17/1/2012)

General VK Singh and General Ashfaq Kayani.If a Martian wanted to find out one fundamental difference between India and Pakistan, all he would need to do is pick up the paper and look at yesterday’s two top stories both involving army chiefs of the two countries. Pakistan first. While the latest turn of events has pitted Pakistan’s civilian government — itself a giveaway term that suggests that there could be any other kind of government in that country — against its judiciary, the real wrangle is between President Asif Ali Zardari and the Pakistani army led by Ashfaq Kayani.

In ‘better’ times, General Kayani would have been able to conduct a coup and get things back in order, if only for a while. This time, however, in a scenario where the army is livid at Mr Zardari for secretly passing on a memo to the American administration seeking protection against an, um, army coup, as well busy facing off hordes of Islamicist extremists, the Pakistani military is in the news for less capable reasons.

In contrast, the news that the Indian army chief is making across the border has little to do with a genuine, institutional stand-off with the government — yes, the only one India ever had was the civilian government. It’s about General VK Singh insisting that he’s a year younger than the government believes he is. He has now gone to court over what is a human resource quarrel about whether he should stay on as Chief of Army Staff for another year or not. Despite what army canteen rum-drinkers insist about the issue signalling a breakdown in the Indian Army-government relations, this isn’t what one may call the stuff of constitutional crises.

So in a snapshot, one can get the relationship that both ‘democracies’ have with their armed forces. If the Pakistani example triggers a nostalgia for the army’s ability to become the (strict) adults necessary when the children are making a mess of things, the Indian example shows that the army has a more specialised role in the country. And that this birth certificate imbroglio is just a sideshow worthy of bureaucrats
link-
http://www.hindustantimes.com/editorial ... qus_thread
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Anyways too much focus on the Army, What changes should happen on the civilian side after the next army chief takes over? (maybe in a different thread)
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Sanku wrote: Amit. I would like to state that often (almost always) as is the case, you have taken words which have not been said, replaced the real words by imaginary words and redrafted what others (at least I am) are saying to meet your idea of debate.

1) Culpability is INCs

No more no less.
That does sound remarkably like saying that the next probable COAS viz. Lt Gen Bikram Singh will be more pliant with respect to the GoI's wishes and less likely to stand up for his institution.

Which unless you know something about the general that the rest of us don't, can be interpreted as a slight on his career. Its ironic that you're standing up for one officer by denigrating another.