Indian Roads Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Roads Thread

Post by RamaY »

I have a question on this traffic (or Civic in general) sense aspect of Bharatiyas

- Do we see any significant difference between educated and illiterate Bharatiyas with regards to traffic sense and general civic sense? Why do we see lot of Gen X/Y youth going around honking behind people for no reason?

- How much effort (education, media and propaganda) is put in by the government and civic bodies on educating Bharatiyas on these basic things?
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

Bah. You guys are all deracinated Macaulayites. Lanes, traffic discipline etc are all un-Indic Western concepts that have no place in India.

Please study the inferiority complex thread closely to understand the error of your ways. It has been conclusively proven on that thread that letting people do whatever they want on the road is the most efficient method of traffic management.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Ramay_ if anything Gen X/Y is worse, many Indians who go to college are literate, not educated, very little consideration for road rules or senior citizens
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Enforcement, for an undisciplined lot like us enforcement is the key. But then again, enforcement always falls prey to corruption. Even if we do have lanes and everybody does follow it I dont for one see it working at all since the existing road infrastructure is not good enough to handle lane system. Take for example, the East Coast Road. It has just 2 lanes and lots of gaps in the median with intersections where traffic criss-crosses without signals. Now, if you have lane system implemented, in one such intersection, with both and left turns possible, one lane for each where will the folks going straight drive? It's poor planning and lack of foresight. For implementing a full-blown lane system we will inevitably end up needing to expand roads. Add legal processes and other such show-stoppers, I doubt it will be realistically possible to impelement full blown lane systems in India.

What we need is new cities planned bottom up with such facilities and somehow hope that in the future a lot of people will move to such cities and with lesser population densities in existing cities we may be able to widen roads and implement an infrastructure which can support lane system.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

RFID e-purse to help cruise through toll plazas - The Hindu
The RFID self-adhesive tag, a pre-loaded electronic purse, will be fixed on the windshield of the vehicle to be read by the transceivers at toll plazas. While the toll fee will be automatically deducted from the users' account, the user will have a hassle-free drive on the highway. Four banks have come forward to provide back-end banking support for the system, Mr. Kandasamy said.

Once the pilot project becomes successful, it will be implemented across the country. All RFID tags will be be read by transceivers at all toll plazas enabling the user to traverse across the country with a single RFID tag without waste of time, Mr. Kandasamy said.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

somewhere here I commented that in OMR road, people are not using the bridges to cross the road but dart across. I got me a cycle and went pedaling around and tried to use the bridge to get across. The bottom of the bridge was like a well. It had two big stone where you have to step and get to the bottom most step of the stair. I had to jump across them carrying the cycle as well.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Abhijeet wrote:Bah. You guys are all deracinated Macaulayites. Lanes, traffic discipline etc are all un-Indic Western concepts that have no place in India.

Please study the inferiority complex thread closely to understand the error of your ways. It has been conclusively proven on that thread that letting people do whatever they want on the road is the most efficient method of traffic management.
Sarcasm well taken, but the question remains.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... eight.html
India Road-Building Hits Record as Builders Pay to Work: Freight
Feb. 27 (Bloomberg) -- India is awarding highway- construction contracts at a record pace, and saving taxpayers money, as builders stop asking for subsidies and instead offer fees to lay and operate new toll roads.
Competition among builders such as GMR Infrastructure Ltd., Larsen & Toubro Ltd. and IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd. has helped the National Highways Authority of India win payments, or premiums, for at least 23 of the 35 projects it has offered since April 1, said G. Suresh, its chief general manager for finance. He didn’t elaborate. The body will award tenders for 7,300 kilometer-lanes of highways this fiscal year, worth about 570 billion rupees ($12 billion), and 9,000 kilometers next year.“Many of the projects where we thought we’ll have to pay subsidies, we actually got premiums,” said B.K. Chaturvedi, who headed a government committee on highway development and a member of the state Planning Commission. “It’s a good thing there’s competition$1 Trillion Spending
India’s investments in roads could rise to $145 billion in the five years to 2017 from about $69.8 billion in the previous five years, according to a PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP. study. The country plans to spend a total of $1 trillion on roads, railways, airports and other infrastructure in the period.The national highway system, a predominately two-lane network linking major cities, carries 65 percent of India’s freight and 80 percent of passenger traffic. In about six years through October 2011, the highway agency oversaw 5,182 kilometers of construction, including new highways and improvements.Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in August 2009 set a goal of building 20 kilometers of highways a day. The nation has added 823 kilometers, or about 2 kilometers a day, since then as construction slowed, Tushar A. Chaudhary, junior road transport and highways minister, told lawmakers in parliament Dec. 12.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

amount of accidents is shocking. In Chennai, when I read Tamil newspaper, atleast two fatal accidents every day. In native place Erode, where I am currently for a week, I actually SEE an accident every day.

In the road from Erode to Sathyamangalam, the lanes are narrower and can only fit one bus in one lane narrowly. There is no space for a bus and a two wheeler in one lane. So when a bus goes to the right to overtake, he does it at the last minute by swerving to the right and at the moment there is another car that is trying to overtake the bus and if the car is not alert, and there is some darting across the road by a two wheeler, there's a good chance of an accident.

A lot of times, there are people driving in TVS50s who don't have a clue how close they are to being killed..when they drive slowly in the middle of the road. And then there are these youngistani idiots on 100CCs who overestimate their bikes and themselves, and try to squeeze in a thin margin..again - good chance of an accident. Then there is the night time driving which increases accident probabilities, everybody drives in hi beam and some do in that white light which completely blinds you so you don't spot that slow moving two wheeler in front of you and on top of that that two wheeler will not have brake lights or reflectors.

No wonder accidents have DOUBLED in the past 20 years. 2010 statistics are at 60,000+ a year in Tamil Nadu alone. Out of which 14K are fatal with 15K people dying. I am sure it is more in 2011.

I have lost 3 relatives in the past year in the cross roads in that Erode-Sathy road. Today I saw a small girl brought in unconscious to the hospital where I was visiting for granny's ulcer endoscopy. Thankfully, the girl will live.

Worst part is, I sometimes catch myself doing the same mistakes I know I should not be doing. I think there needs to be a serious effort on everybody involved. Widen the roads, speed breakers (with warnings) near pedestrian crossings, put in patrols that actually do something instead of sleeping and drinking tea, stricter penalties, educational videos in local TV, programs in schools, stricter licensing standards etc.

link for govt statistics
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/ra1.pdf
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Gus wrote: Worst part is, I sometimes catch myself doing the same mistakes I know I should not be doing.
Yes, its actually scary. :oops:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Gus wrote:
In the road from Erode to Sathyamangalam, the lanes are narrower and can only fit one bus in one lane narrowly. There is no space for a bus and a two wheeler in one lane. So when a bus goes to the right to overtake, he does it at the last minute by swerving to the right and at the moment there is another car that is trying to overtake the bus and if the car is not alert, and there is some darting across the road by a two wheeler, there's a good chance of an accident.
GUs I am planning a small vacation and on the return trip plan to take the Ooty-Metupalayam-Sathyamangalam-Mettur-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai route, a distance of about 540KM. Plan to start early at say 6:00AM from Ooty and get into CHennai at Night.

You think thats doable?

And bad driving in TN gets to you in NHAI, I remember making a Lorry guy brake just because I wanted to overtake in a Hurry. Better to slow down and do safe overtaking at an appropriate time
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

What is your car?

MTP to Sathy is an OK road. But Sathy to Mettur is probably not a good road. I did the Bhavani-Mettur-Dharmapuri route and though it is shorter than Sithode-Salem-DPI, it was not a good road. Don't expect to average a lot there. You might get stuck behind slow trucks.

Once you touch the NH at Dharmapuri, it will be clear roads until you hit the six-laning work. Expect slowdowns when trucks overtake trucks. No space to squeeze around.

You may want to space out so you can avoid peak traffic at Chennai (depending on where you live in Chennai, of course). I left home today at 5.30 AM, stopped over at sis's house in Salem for breakfast, stopped over at a temple near K'giri for a picnic of sorts..took the baby and dog for strolls. reached home in Chennai at 3 PM !!!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

540km for one person driving in a day is slightly team-bhpish gung ho attitude esp as until dharmapuri there aint no nhai.

but it can be done if a person is physically and mentally in good shape.

i plan to do similar one day blr-dharwad albeit on GQ road. and move on next day to goa or karwar.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

I had done Blr-Trivandrum via both Kerala (nightmare 750 kms) and TN (700 kms via Nagercoil - the best route till the last 50 kms) routes with one or two stops in between. Starts at 5:00 AM and usually reaches much before evening 12:00, despite lavish lunch breaks with a wee nap etc. Some trips were pre-NHAI days and cars upward from good old Maruti 800. It is no big deal, if you do some stretching before you start off.

btw, I got denied admission in TBHP, due to some essay question I did not answer well enough :(( they are some bad mudders....
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

hnair wrote: btw, I got denied admission in TBHP, due to some essay question I did not answer well enough :(( they are some bad mudders....
Haha, don't worry. You're not alone. Got in on my second attempt. Answer the questions as descriptively as possible. :mrgreen:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Gus wrote:What is your car?
Hyundai Accent Petrol., Alternate road is go the Salem, from where I have 2 choices, 1 through Dharmpuri, K-Giri which 30Km longer than going through Attur, Kallakurichi, joing GST road.

Yogi_G, is this the route you took to Yercaud?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Aditya_V wrote:
Gus wrote:What is your car?
Hyundai Accent Petrol., Alternate road is go the Salem, from where I have 2 choices, 1 through Dharmpuri, K-Giri which 30Km longer than going through Attur, Kallakurichi, joing GST road.

Yogi_G, is this the route you took to Yercaud?
Yup, through Vellore - K'giri - Salem - Yercaud.

Happy driving, roads are excellent in this stretch and keep LOTS of change money for the tolls. NHAI sucked me dry. :mrgreen:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Road is bad around Attur area. Potholes. I tried it once and since then stuck to KGR route, even though it is a bit far for me to catch Poonamalli high road than the GST from OMR. At that time I was driving the Estilo, smaller car which was harder to drive over potholes. The Accent may do it. Comfort vs time..is what it boils down to. Will it be just you or do you share duties? If it is just you, then maybe less Kms is a better choice.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

BTW, looks like the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 is going for an amendment. The fines and/or jail terms for some major offences have been increased. But what caught my attention was a new provision added in, which may have much more wider repurcussions. And honestly; I feel the RTOs and Police on traffic enforcement would have a field day implementing this provision.

The amendment has a provision for charging people who are found using mobile phones while driving. From the Hindu...
The only new offence included to the old list is use of mobile phones or any appliance enabled with transmission or reception of signals by way of wire or other electromagnetic mission. Using these will attract a fine of Rs. 500 for the first offence, and Rs. 2,000 subsequently, the maximum being Rs. 5,000. The smart card driving licence will enable recording of the offences.

With this provision I guess listening to FM Radio would become an offence. Because the radio set is a wireless receiver. The call taxis should have some other means for communication other than VHF sets. Some cab companies in Bangalore use a texting device to pass information to drivers. That goes out too. And I dont know if a stereo set transmitting music over the wires to speakers would also be considered as a mobile device here. In that case forget listening to music as well.

And I would bated breath wait to see what is going to happen to Police and Fire Brigade vehicles as well. They all have multiple wireless sets in them ;).
hnair wrote:btw, I got denied admission in TBHP, due to some essay question I did not answer well enough they are some bad mudders....
:D. I too met with the same fate. But then left it at that, and have made no attempts to go back. I wanted to get some route related information from TBHP. No point in proving too many points to get in there to get a few questions related to routes answered.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Gus wrote:Road is bad around Attur area. Potholes. I tried it once and since then stuck to KGR route, even though it is a bit far for me to catch Poonamalli high road than the GST from OMR. At that time I was driving the Estilo, smaller car which was harder to drive over potholes. The Accent may do it. Comfort vs time..is what it boils down to. Will it be just you or do you share duties? If it is just you, then maybe less Kms is a better choice.

It will be only me, I need a break and depositing 7 mth kid and SHQ at in laws place. Basic Idea is to get to get to Bandipur Mudumalai and hope to catch a striped cat. WHile going I am taking the safer Chennai-Benguluru(NICE Road)- Mysore, while coming spend evening in Mudumalai- Anaikutty, spend night at Ooty and drive to Chennai.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

If its only you, pick the shorter Mettur, Athur road. Don't have to worry about passenger comfort.

Drive safe.

AL: the vista gave 19.8 kmpl over 700 kms. That's nearly 45 mpg. Not bad at all. Filling up doesn't cause heartache either.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

from blr what would be best route to Conoor in terms of comfort and reasonable time? via salem - avinashi or via ooty ?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Singha wrote:from blr what would be best route to Conoor in terms of comfort and reasonable time? via salem - avinashi or via ooty ?
From speed and safety aspects it would definitely by Salem-Avinashi. Through Ooty, it would be the scenic route but driving in ghat sections is always risky. Plus I hear some parts of the route is shut down after dusk for animal safety etc.
ajit.d
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ajit.d »

Question for Gus - Vista gave you 19.8! OMG. What speed do you drive at?

I have a Vista - Dec 2009 Aura QJD. Hasnt given me anywhere close

Tambaram to Tiruvannamalai gives me 16KMPL
Tambaram to CBE via Sriperumbudur, Vellore, Salem gives me 17.5
Both figures above are calculated using tankful to tankful method. Speed will be in the 80-100KMPH band.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:from blr what would be best route to Conoor in terms of comfort and reasonable time? via salem - avinashi or via ooty ?
Come Summer, come Singha sir's common dilemma, as discussed don't take left at the Iron bridge at Tepakadu- Mudumalai and drive straight through the 64 Km stretch through Gudalur.

Best route, Bengaluru- Mysore, Bandipur, mudumalai, Gudalur, Ooty, avoid left at Tepakadu iron bridge in Mudumalai which takes you through Masinagudi, this is the road where the civic gets pushed outside the road and on to deep nalla due to oncoming traffic.

P.S- if you are lucky you might see the elusive striped cat.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:another bangalore speciality I have not observed elsewhere is at unpoliced intersections instead of a certain anticlockwise or clockwise priority of vehicles (in US it is anticlockwise) everyone tries to establish a "first mover alpha gorilla" advantage and moves in, leading to a ugly deadlock. while the first set of chimps are stuck in the middle, smaller survivalist chimps like me hang back and then weave our way around this little brawl in the center..sometimes going 270' to make a 90' turn.

I have seen 30 mins long deadlocks near my home where 2 mins of common sense would have avoided. Finally the arrival of a policeman on bike restores order and the alpha chimps are pulled from each others throats and set free.
police get to know when the backup spreads to the nearest policed intersection.
This is an all India specialty and worst is Hyderabad, not an inch is ever given, people would rather be stuck let one vehicle pass and all of them can go.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Breaking rules and bypassing them seems to be perceived as "being smart" and more "street smart" than the rule-following duffers. I have been scoffed at many times by overtaking people when I stop at a red signal in the wee hours of the morning or dead late night when there is no cars in the other sides of the signal. Our cinemas also portray people who follow rules as suffering a lot than the ones who dont. Of course, the good guys eventually win in the last but after beating up some 40 goons and outsmarting politicians/thugs. Of course all through it the hero would have broken a lot of rules in the way which is why I say that our cinemas portray doing wrong as inevitable. Plus there is the sense of entitlement and patronage. Piskoing Indian driving sense will yield several hundred books.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

SUV runs over man, woman driver missing
Police are trying to trace the woman who was allegedly drunk, DCP (Traffic East) B A Muttanna said.

The deceased has been identified as Nagaraj, a native of Kirubagere village in Raichur, who was working as a construction labourer.

The victims were sleeping on the pavement since there was not enough space in the shed they were staying in.

Preliminary investigation revealed Ravi and the woman were returning home after attending a friend's birthday bash at a restaurant in Kammanahalli, police said.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

latest is the woman was named Mahi and the man had just met her via a mutual friend in a coffee shop a few hours earlier. they evidently hit it off well, so both went for a night ride on the ORR and she wanted to drive the vehicle, with the known results. after that she switched off mobile and fled away. the fortuner itself was a borrowed one from the man's relative.

looks like a good amt of mutually agreeable "hooking up for the night" occurs in coffee shops these days.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

found a road pic.. nice! any guess as to max speed on this road? I assume it to be faster than any city speed limits owing traffic, potholes, etc.
Marut
BRFite

Re: Re:

Post by Marut »

Aditya_V wrote:
Singha wrote:another bangalore speciality I have not observed elsewhere is at unpoliced intersections instead of a certain anticlockwise or clockwise priority of vehicles (in US it is anticlockwise) everyone tries to establish a "first mover alpha gorilla" advantage and moves in, leading to a ugly deadlock. while the first set of chimps are stuck in the middle, smaller survivalist chimps like me hang back and then weave our way around this little brawl in the center..sometimes going 270' to make a 90' turn.

I have seen 30 mins long deadlocks near my home where 2 mins of common sense would have avoided. Finally the arrival of a policeman on bike restores order and the alpha chimps are pulled from each others throats and set free.
police get to know when the backup spreads to the nearest policed intersection.
This is an all India specialty and worst is Hyderabad, not an inch is ever given, people would rather be stuck let one vehicle pass and all of them can go.
This speciality is why my 7-8km commute to work in Mumbai takes me 1-1.5hr in an auto on most days. Many times I have just walked about 3-4kms to get past the deadlock and catch an auto for the last leg home.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

X-post from Infra dhaaga
Marut wrote:The E Sreedharan led panel has opined against PPP in urban transport infra projects. Having worked on two such projects myself, I can't find myself disagreeing with them.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... -transport
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

GoI should think about components and building parts to look at small to medium scale projects. We can empower by a good plan, architecture of the plan is important. For example, layouts, standards, designs, all can be planned ahead. Equipments can be leased, purchased, and shared.
But the plan needs certain minimum of design standards.

Resources should come from the area where people will get jobs. layout the plan, deploy it say converting a rural infrastructure to ulta-urban model, where urban feels like rural in the future.

engage people as resource to use equipments to deliver the goods as desired and planned by the super architecture team.

once a project is complete, shift all equipments, plan feedbacks, metrics, into another project, and use the same mgmt team to govern the next using different set of people resoruces. perhaps experienced gained from previous projects should help feed into.

only labor class needs to be engaged locally.. they get job. they get to use equipments., with a master plan.

thinking like lego!.. it can definitely be done for roads! we have enough problems to look at in such a way. It gives infrastructure a big push. roads and capacity planning are important for future. we need good roads for the desired capacity.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Just came back from a 1800 km road trip in Maharasthra. Pune-Bhimashankar-Nashik-Shirdi-Solapur-Akalkot-Pandarpur-Kolhapur-Pune on a tempo traveller. Was surprised to see that a lot of 2 lane state highways are tolled with some of toll costs rivalling our NHAI tolls. Though the roads were not worth the tolls, the roads seems much better maintained than most other state highways in TN/Andhra/Karnataka that I have travelled recently. The stretches which were not tolled were on par/marginally better than state highways of other southern states.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

ajit.d wrote:Question for Gus - Vista gave you 19.8! OMG. What speed do you drive at?

I have a Vista - Dec 2009 Aura QJD. Hasnt given me anywhere close

Tambaram to Tiruvannamalai gives me 16KMPL
Tambaram to CBE via Sriperumbudur, Vellore, Salem gives me 17.5
Both figures above are calculated using tankful to tankful method. Speed will be in the 80-100KMPH band.
Well..I am a mileage freak...its a hobby to see what's the max I can extract.

More than the speed itself (which is incidental and not a goal), the idea is to drive in such a way that you are not speeding up aggressively only to brake soon. I do try and drive in such a way that I don't have to brake..at all. I try to keep the rpm at 2k and needle hovers around 80 +/- 5 kms depending on terrain. I do speed up to 100 to clear a convoy so I can settle into the kmpl zone of 2k later. Some other good habits are - not flooring the accelerator, gradually increase speed, you are not going to save much time by getting to 80 kmph 10 seconds faster. Don't close the air vents, it increases air resistance factor (very minimal though on its own, but adds up). Start early so you can avoid traffic and also avoid AC necessity.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Gents...
1. What is the recommended route to Mangalore? The Bengaluru->Nelamangala->Kunigal->Hassan route? I understand that there is a ghat section out there which was a night mare till last year? What is the situation now?
2. How is the route to Pondichery? Guess the four lane high way via Velur->Ambur is not the shortest one.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

2. How is the route to Pondichery? Guess the four lane high way via Velur->Ambur is not the shortest one.
From Bangalore ? Pretty decent IIRC from around 4 years ago. Just after Krishnagiri - on the way to Chennai, there is a right turn, towards Tiruvannamalai . Take that. The route is Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai- Tindivanam- Pondicherry.

Krishnagiri to Tindivanam is around 60 to 90 kms of 2 lane roads. Not heavy traffic and in okay shape. The plus is , you can drop in to Ramanashram and the temple in Tiruvannamalai (which is also my SHQ's ancestral place) stretch your legs and then go on to Pondicherry. The Tindivanam - Pondicherry stretch was getting 4 laned - NHAI back then, must be complete now I guess. This is the shortest and easiest way to Pondy.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

ajit.d
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ajit.d »

Gus wrote: Well..I am a mileage freak...its a hobby to see what's the max I can extract.

More than the speed itself (which is incidental and not a goal), the idea is to drive in such a way that you are not speeding up aggressively only to brake soon. I do try and drive in such a way that I don't have to brake..at all. I try to keep the rpm at 2k and needle hovers around 80 +/- 5 kms depending on terrain. I do speed up to 100 to clear a convoy so I can settle into the kmpl zone of 2k later. Some other good habits are - not flooring the accelerator, gradually increase speed, you are not going to save much time by getting to 80 kmph 10 seconds faster. Don't close the air vents, it increases air resistance factor (very minimal though on its own, but adds up). Start early so you can avoid traffic and also avoid AC necessity.
Thanks Gus! Will try to utilize your methods during my next trip
vina wrote:
The Tindivanam - Pondicherry stretch was getting 4 laned - NHAI back then, must be complete now I guess. This is the shortest and easiest way to Pondy.
Tindivanam Pondy stretch has been completed and is in excellent condition. Should be able to do that in 30 min flat. Heard that Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai stretch had taken a beating during the Monsoon . Not sure of the repairs. Better to traverse during day, to avoid pot holes
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

How to Go to Pondy from Mumbai by car ?