BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Virupaksha »

Rahul M wrote:internet commenting 101.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5646 ... 33ee26.png

Before leaving a comment, ask yourself, ‘if I saw this posted on the internet, would I want to punch the author in the face?’

http://thedoghousediaries.com/2750
I cant even start saying how many times I did this.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Virupaksha wrote:
Rahul M wrote:internet commenting 101.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5646 ... 33ee26.png

Before leaving a comment, ask yourself, ‘if I saw this posted on the internet, would I want to punch the author in the face?’

http://thedoghousediaries.com/2750
I cant even start saying how many times I did this.
I can 6,254,678 times :) in my mind at least.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

sunnydee wrote:Hello Admins - Could one of you be kind enough to delete my id please ?
Done. Posts retained.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

There is no way to go to the BR Home from the forum pages.
Can we have a home link in the forums that can quickly take us to the BR home.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

:P i have told about this lots of times...but till date nothing has been done about it
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SS, you have a PM.
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

Hi Everyone, my first post.Rahul, thanks for activating my account so fast. Been a lurker for almost a decade. Missed discussions on GDF so just for learning and reading that forum had to register as a member, hope I can contribute something as I keep learning from everyone. In particular, learned a lot from the bigwigs like Shiv garu, Ramana garu, SShridhar garu, Rangudu garu, Rudradev garu et al, just wanted to thank every one by name for enriching my life :) but obviously can't, too long a list.

BTW, question to webmasters, not sure if it is already answered, if so kindly ignore:
The right panel on the main web page 'Latest Discussions' only gets updated with military issues and History forum discussions, why is that? if it is about latest discussions, why not also include the discussions from strategy and technology forums?
Regards,
Venu
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I have noticed something whenever I go to BR Image library the ad slots just below the header often throw up ads from haram communities including the below one... just an observation.. might not possible to control the ad placements which is done based on many parameters including content and context..

Image[/URL]
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Raa agints everywhere :eek:
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 2#p1244962
tsarkar wrote:Hyprocrite politicians like Uddhav & Raj Thackeray talk about Marathi Asmita
Shouldn't Uddhav & Raj Thackeray send their children to "Marathi Medium" municipality schools?
Such rascals with double standards mislead people and are the worst enemy of the Marathi speaking people and the Indian nation.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 6#p1253886
arnab wrote: I think we can look forward to such a future and Uddhav Thakre's children can emigrate :)
why do bengalis unnecessarily bring in marathi leaders into every discussion and try to paint them in a negative light. dont you have your own loony bengali netas? why dont you people invoke the crazy bengali left which has kept bengal and india backward for the last 60 years with its retarded economic policies. this same commie bengali clique shouts loudly thru its domination of the media and silences opposing voice which want to follow a sane economic policy. the demonisation of modi by the english media dominated by commie bengalis is shameful, while demographic invasion of bengal by millions of foreigners is never mentioned in any the article written by them. after the fair name of gujarat was tarnished, now maharastra is being targetted by these people. moderators should take note of this abhorrent behaviour of some bengali posters and educate them to stop such posts.
Last edited by Rahul M on 09 Mar 2012 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: negative stereotyping of a community is not acceptable on BR.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Vikram,

I'm sure Arnab can respond but I'd like to point out that the Shiv Sena leader's name comes up because he was the mastermind in the stir in Jaitapur to stall the nuclear power plant to be built by the French. If you recall one person was killed in senseless violence. Contrast that with the far bigger KNPP stir in which no violence of this nature has occurred.

And besides, I wonder why you look at thing from a regional perspective? I'm a Bengali but if anyone asks me about my identity I'd say that first of all I'm an Indian and then a Bengali. And so I have as much right to praise or criticise a fellow Indian irrespective of where he or she comes from. And who says that Bengalis keep quiet about the "crazy Bengali Left?" I know for sure I've given the choices of gaalis about them not only on this forum but in other places as well. One needs to ask you, are you a Maharastrian first and then an Indian or the other way around?

One final question: Do you think being a Bengali makes one a suspect in terms of commitment to India and Indian nationalism? In case you didn't notice the nuclear debate transcends narrow regionalism and is a pan-Indian issue affecting every Indian citizen.

I think you need to look into history and see who could be considered one of the founding fathers of the Hindu Right before mentally branding every Bengali as a Leftist and suspect his or her commitment to India.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

amit wrote:Vikram, I'm sure Arnab can respond but I'd like to point out that the Shiv Sena leader's name comes up because he was the mastermind in the stir in Jaitapur to stall the nuclear power plant to be built by the French.
check the comment by tsarkar in the navy discussion, what has thackeray done against the navy that bengalis abuse him as they please?
amit wrote:If you recall one person was killed in senseless violence.
Police on the orders of congress govt killed the person. why is thackeray being accused of his murder? you should hold congress responsible for the incident but instead you are so full of hate, you blame innocent thackeray.
amit wrote:I'm a Bengali but if anyone asks me about my identity I'd say that first of all I'm an Indian and then a Bengali.
I never mentioned you, I said "some bengali posters" indulge in these petty insults. dont take this personally
amit wrote:And who says that Bengalis keep quiet about the "crazy Bengali Left?"
When has the english media run by commie bengalis ever written a critical article exposing the loony communist ideas and laws that have been imposed on rest of India. the commies are intent on breaking up indian society, has the media ever exposed them?
amit wrote:I'm sorry but IMO if moderators are to at all look into this, I'd request them to look at your attempt to divide Indians into Maharastrians, Gujaratis and Bengalis.
typical bengali style response, accuse the victim of being criminal. this is what i was talking about. bengalis never take constructive criticism, always accuse others of something and try to escape from discussion when exposed. grow up.
amit wrote:I think you need to look into history and see who could be considered one of the founding fathers of the Hindu Right.
again typical bengali attitude of trying to 'teach" others, how about learning to take constructive criticism for a change. bengal today is failed state becoz of people like you.
Last edited by Rahul M on 09 Mar 2012 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack and more negative stereotyping
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Vikram,

Your post is a rant and in very poor taste. As a result, I have no wish to comment on it, save to point out that you should re-read my post.

I edited this out:
I'm sorry but IMO if moderators are to at all look into this, I'd request them to look at your attempt to divide Indians into Maharastrians, Gujaratis and Bengalis.
And I did that before you posted.

I did so because I have no wish to tell moderators what they should and should not do.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

amit, next time dont try to defend the indefensible behavior of others. i responded point by point but you dismiss it by calling it rant, shows your pettiness and inability to handle criticism.
attacking marathi leaders and abusing them wont solve bengali problems, and bengal has a mountain of problems.

bengal is being drowned in illegal migration from bangladesh and islamic extremism, soon you will find yourself destitute in your own land like your forefathers 50years ago during partition. When time comes to migrate again, what will you do then? will people from other states accept you after watching you abuse their leaders for no reason? nobody will accept such behavior.

people like you should learn some manners and think before abusing others and dismissing their informative posts as rants.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

amit, dont start you blame game again

your counter accusations are pathetic to say the least. You the are one displaying regional chauvinism by defending abhorrent behavior of your fellow bengali posters. you keep attacking me personally but wont ask them to stop making such comments? shows your real face

edit : lol amit deleted his post
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

vikramd wrote:....
Vikramd; a small point, some posters resort to deliberate name calling when countered on point, it is not a regional issue, the opponents of a position are liberally called Chaddiwalla, dhoti shivering, afraid of progress, jihadi and what not.

This is basically a technique to rile others up and get them to do something foolish so the admins have to get involved.

I would advise care on the topic.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

amit didn't delete his post, I did because I didn't want this to continue.

I read your first post and thought I would ignore it but your subsequent posts have made it impossible.

============
you quoted 2 members accusing them of being anti marathi or something. I found they were taking digs at one particular leader from maharashtra, which may be considered flaming but certainly not anti marathi in any way. IOW, you have completely failed to provide any evidence for your rather serious accusation.
in doing so however, you brought in the regional affiliations of the posters (which had no relation with the discussion) and proved beyond a shred of doubt your own bias against a certain section of Indians, namely bengalis. to put it simply, you were doing the very thing you accused others of, namely negative stereotyping of an Indian community.

understand this, 2 members, supposedly bengalis, one a mumbaikar has as much right to criticise politicians whether marathi, punjabi or tamil as any other Indian. you too are free to criticise *any* leader from bengal or elsewhere in the appropriate thread as long as you do not cross BR's redlines.

you however, are NOT fit to sit in judgement on whether some community lives up to your standard of nationalism or whatever. if you think otherwise find some other watering hole on the net where you can live out your parochial fantasies to the fullest.

with the warnings you have gathered in the past from other mods these last 2 add up to a ban for 3 months, effective immediately. you have also made false accusations against 2 members. a 5th warning resulting in a permanent ban may be added unless there is an apology somewhere.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Are comments like thank you considered to be spam on BRF ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

certainly not.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

In that case thanks for the reply
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

BRF home page is not accessible, but can jump directly into any thread through google. Is there anything wrong going on with BRF recently?
Yogesh
BRFite

Post by Yogesh »

abhijitm wrote:BRF home page is not accessible, but can jump directly into any thread through google. Is there anything wrong going on with BRF recently?

Apparently so....I' am facing the same q was raised in the noob dhaga and Rahul responded affirmatively on the same... but dunno the status as of now (at least I am still having the main site load problem). Hope this helps..
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES: For the past three days, whenever I clicked on my usual BRF bookmark in my browser (Firefox), it brought up an error page, and I thought the site was down.

However, just now, when I clicked on another bookmark to BRF that was not at the main URL (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com), I was able to access the site again, even though that main URL is still down for me.

Thought you should know.

Thanks,
RK
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

^^^ Yes, I am unable to access BR homepage as well. What happened?
Prabu
BRFite

Post by Prabu »

I can NOT access BR Home page also for th past 4 days. Can any admins please look in to it and fix ?

Thanks
Prabu
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

as Yogesh' post above says, we are having some problems with that server. will take a couple more days as per big boss.
Vashishtha
BRFite

Post by Vashishtha »

Why do updates fromt he military issues forum only show up on the home page?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Dear Mods,

What are the privacy rules of this forum? If there is such a thing could you point me to the right place?

Could you please change my name to Roperia only.

Thanks.

done,
Rahul.
Last edited by Rahul M on 30 Mar 2012 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Hello BRAdmins
I request one of you to be kind enough to delete my id and related details, please.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Ramana/Mods; I beg your indulgence just once.

I fully understand the concept of letting multiple PoVs exist, but what if a particular poster repeatedly gives incorrect data points or assertions despite being corrected by others.

Lets say I post "this is a white cat"
Poster A responds "you hate black rats"
I say "I never said that, kindly do not misquote"
Poster A says "why are you denying you hate black rats"
etc...

This seems to have become a repeated trend. When some one repeatedly makes a statement, obviously wrong (with respect to open source data posted just a post above) -- how is this a PoV?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Hey come on Sankuji. You both were asked by the mods to put each other on the ignore list, the last time around. Why go round and round the same bush again?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sanku writes:

"I fully understand the concept of letting multiple PoVs exist, but what if a particular poster repeatedly gives incorrect data points or assertions despite being corrected by others."

So, you are right all the time?

What you claim as "incorrect data points" are often "correct data points", its just that because of the corner you have painted yourself into & the needless stubbornness which you then display, the arguments go on and on and on. Not that you are the only one either, but somehow the manner in which you approach these topics draws each & every sort and those of us who visit threads for information get drowned in the pages of your petty bickering.

See the manner in which you & amit & co have destroyed the nuke thread or you have gone on & on in the armour thread or again its you versus CJ and who else in the army thread. The discussion is totally wasted or driven to irrelevance. Do you seriously think that if you hadn't replied to amit, everyone would have become a votary of n-power or if you hadn't replied to CJ etc, VKS's honor would be besmirched? Seriously, take a breath and either reduce commenting so often or think..

For the forums sake the persona you have become, which seems to subsist on either picking non stop fights or participating in useless huge exchanges on otherwise informative topics, you should consider what your actions are doing and how they reflect on your own self over the long term. Perhaps that will drive some realization into you that a) there is a life outside of this forum beyond these inconsequential topics and b ) by acting the way you have, you are going to appear bizarre in the eyes of anyone who takes any topic seriously.

Go see Anujan's response to you about posting in haste and the rush to reply syndrome and think what that means.

Heck, there are times when one may actually have the same view as you or even think the same thing, but the manner in which you make a waste of bandwidth out of each and every topic by back and forth'ing away is beyond bizarre.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karen Armstrong once said about Hindus by extension Indians is they argue so much but suddenly the arguments stop for the realization dawns on everyone. If someone repeatedly posts non sequitors the others realize it. If bandwidth/space is not given how will this realization dawn?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Ramana, there is surely a difference between constructive arguments - based on either logic or technical merit, and the sort of aggressive, information challenged back and forth that we have seen in the nuclear thread (by several participants) or the arguments for arguments sake (HESH is obsolete, rifled guns are passe etc - all stuff that is patently not held as any sort of universal opinion yet is sought to be forced down the throat of forum participants by Sanku).

Some people on the forum - and not just him- seem to have developed a habit of repeatedly jumping into any and every discussion and then attempting to steer it into their chosen direction or else.. It matters little whether it is mucking up a thread by useless back and forth'ing to "defend" AKA by implying VKS was sleeping on the job too (as one gentleman was doing initially) or by keeping on posting on how nuclear power is a panacea, how MMS is the best ever and then implying everyone else who disagrees is doing a disservice (in turn having Shri Sanku reply in a non stop chain).

Its such a waste of time, energy to wade through page after page of this stuff. I cant speak for others but the discussion becomes so confusing, so irrelevant that it loses focus. The last few pages on the IA thread have moved from being a repository of insightful links on the current fracas to becoming a confusing mess?

The point is otherwise useful discussions are being lost in reams of "he said, she said". Can the admins kindly enforce a mandatory timeout for a few months on these gentlemen (and women) by having them all ignore each other and each other's statements. It'll be better for the forum and for those of us who dont enjoy them wading into each other on the same topics again and again and again.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Thanks Ramana; makes sense.

Karan M, thank you but I think you can use your own advice by bucketfuls, think about it.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

With the view of public interest in mind, is it good idea to have a thread "Name and Shame" on BR? We can use it to name specific individuals/organisations in various fields who do unethical/unacceptable stuff. May be like doctors, lawyers etc. We can also put their photos as well and perhaps make this thread sticky.

P.S.
Obviously, there is no point of including politicians as they don't have any shame. But will deter someone who has some shame.
rajpa
BRFite

Post by rajpa »

BRADMINS,

Chrome warns me about a link to pakpoint.com in the Strato thread. Pls check the site again for any intrusions.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sanku wrote:Karan M, thank you but I think you can use your own advice by bucketfuls, think about it.
Actually I do follow my own advice. I don't spend much time on the forum engaging in debates with super-wise gentlemen like you (the self appointed guardians of right and wrong), since its clearly a waste of time, and hence nor do I have to go complaining to the admins about how "others" are not giving "correct facts" as you often do.

Look at the amount of time you waste on the forum - yours & everyone else's & everyone here can make up their mind on who exactly is using the forum as a crutch to pass their time as versus doing something productive.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Karan M wrote:
Sanku wrote:Karan M, thank you but I think you can use your own advice by bucketfuls, think about it.
Actually I do follow my own advice. I don't spend much time on the forum engaging in debates with super-wise gentlemen like you (the self appointed guardians of right and wrong), since its clearly a waste of time, and hence nor do I have to go complaining to the admins about how "others" are not giving "correct facts" as you often do.

Look at the amount of time you waste on the forum - yours & everyone else's & everyone here can make up their mind on who exactly is using the forum as a crutch to pass their time as versus doing something productive.
Is it me or the delicious irony is clearly visible here? :mrgreen:

I have an additional advice, you clearly know a lot, however, you are unnecessarily carrying a chip on your shoulder. Lose it and you will be able to learn still more.

Wish you the best (and oh personal rants do not bother me, so go easy on those, all it will do is raise your bp and lower the quality of your posts)
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

^^^^^^
Is it me, or are the delicious statistics clearly visible here?

Member: Karan M
Posts 'til April 14, 2012: 932
Days elapsed since joining: 757
Gross average posts per day: 1.231176

Member: Sanku
Posts 'til April 14, 2012: 8403
Days elapsed since joining: 1696
Gross average posts per day: 4.954599

Since I firmly believe that what's good for the goose, is good for the gander too.......

Member: Ravi Karumanchiri
Posts 'til April 14, 2012: 398
Days elapsed since joining: 908
Gross average posts per day: 0.438326

FWIW; not that I hold myself out as the 'Average BRF Postor', but the above box scores would imply that Karan M posts 2.8 times as often as I have done, and Sanku posts 11.3 times as often as me; during our respective tenures here on BRF. Between the two of them, Sanku posts more than 4 times as often as Karan M.

Just a simple observation, that I couldn't keep to myself.

As an item of 'Forum Feedback', I would suggest that someone, somehow establish a means by which Rakshaks can mark-up a table in a post, so that tabular data can be more easily shared here on BRF.

In the past, I have tried to use HTML4 markups, but these have failed in the 'Preview Post' utility; forcing me to post an image of a table, and host it online so that the image would show here. For more useful items of information, I am willing to do this, but not for transient/inconsequential data as I have parsed in this post.

I know others have made the same/similar feedback, RE: tabular data. It would really be a fine addition, if it is at all possible.

As for the other issues raised; I will admit that there is a problem; but that it is not easily solved. However, I would suggest that something must be done, because this problem very definitely impacts the quality of the discourse in the threads, some of which are very important.

At it's center, the problem is that there is no appreciation for the difference between 'discussion' and 'dialogue'. IN BRIEF: 'Discussion' is like a percussive back-and-forth, where there's a tit-for-tat of point versus counterpoint. For far too many people, this is the only way they know how to communicate, and because they are emotionally invested in their ideas/words, it gets nasty pretty quickly. Speaking for myself, this kind of "discourse" (in the form of a series of thread posts) is usually not worth reading.

On the other side, 'Dialogue' is what happens when people hold-out their ideas/words for others to examine and to comment and critique. IMHO, this is a much more fruitful means of discourse, in that it is mutually additive, conceptually-focussed (rather than personally-focussed), and it can advance toward a shared understanding much more efficiently and genuinely than any "discussion" ever can, in whatever form. In large part, this is because people engaged in dialogue are much more playful with their ideas/words, and they are not emotionally invested in them so that they can receive criticism without becoming defensive/ offensive. It's a more adult way of communicating.

Dr. Peter Senge's classic business book 'The Fifth Discipline' describes this concept as 'mental models', and how business teams can have more fruitful discourse by using dialogue instead of discussion -- the objective being the development of a 'shared vision' of an issue or idea, not 'one-upmanship', which seems to be the entire point of many of the 'discussions' that have appeared in BRF threads.

JMT. Thanks for reading, RK