India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by Satya_anveshi »

That's quite a composure the boy displays in this interview. I now see his point about not taking the plea deal and is difficult to disagree with. Godspeed to his fight to keep his character unblemished and hope sanity prevails in the system/society.

Sincere hoping that judge is not a chakka or chakka sellout.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Satya_anveshi wrote:It would be interesting to know whether the hostel permitted sharing of room by males and females. Where I studied, although males and females were in the same complex, but an apartment unit MUST be shared by folks of same sex. Univ did NOT allow sharing the unit by members of opposite sex.

If this was also the case with Rutgers, here are my thoughts:

Doesn't the spirit of not having males and females in the same unit diluted when you permit a chakka sharing a room with a straight? Shouldn't the chakka share the room with another chakka (oops that too could be a problem :-? ) or at least a male chakka be allotted to unit with females and female chakki be allotted with male? (I know, I know some of you may be getting ideas :lol: )

If Tyler didn't openly mention that he was chakka, did he lie by not mentioning his orientations before the room allotment or should the Univ also be held accountable for exposing Ravi to possible risk of molestation? Shouldn’t Ravi justifiably scared?

Where does one draw the line between getting scared and securing oneself from chakkas and "bias" intimidation?

Didn’t Tyler *prove* his "bias" against folks with whom he was sharing the unit? Sounds like the “qualified” jury members should be those who have lived with chakkas in a unit for at least a few weeks and come out unscathed :wink: and then be in position to judge whether Ravi was indeed showing "bias" or genuinely scared?

Is there any way in which "stand your ground rule " or "castles doctrine " can be applied in Dharuns situation ?
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

gakakkad wrote:Is there any way in which "stand your ground rule " or "castles doctrine " can be applied in Dharuns situation ?
gakakkad saab, don't know what this rule/doctrine is but a cursory glace at wiki says that this is a defence to be applied against a potential charge of homicide. Not sure if this would be applicable in this case but what do I know about these matters.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^ There is a case in florida recently posted here. A black guy was passing through a white neighbourhood. A jewish moron shot the black guy dead . Police refused to arrest the jew. because the jew claimed to feel threatened by black guy.

in this case there was a strange looking guy who visited dharuns room. As per castles doctrine , the dorm room can be regarded as dharuns castle. so dharun can claim to feel threatened by the 30 year old guy.as per the doctrine even if dharun had shot the other guy dead ,he could have got away. merely recording clippings is a far lesser offence ..
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Apparently it is a not widely applicable, just in some states, Florida being one of them.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

(wrt to Devesh message in previous page) : That's not isolated, there are quite a few in Gay community who has come out and spoken quite articulately that harsh punishment is not only unjust ( the event has already taken one life, and taking another's future will make it more unjust) but will have backlash against the community.

This case has also brought out backlash, and need to amend the knee jerk NJ legislation passed around 2002..
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

gakakkad wrote:^^ There is a case in florida recently posted here. A black guy was passing through a white neighbourhood. A jewish moron shot the black guy dead . Police refused to arrest the jew. because the jew claimed to feel threatened by black guy.

in this case there was a strange looking guy who visited dharuns room. As per castles doctrine , the dorm room can be regarded as dharuns castle. so dharun can claim to feel threatened by the 30 year old guy.as per the doctrine even if dharun had shot the other guy dead ,he could have got away. merely recording clippings is a far lesser offence ..
I think the permissions (as indicated by the references to text messages) asked by tyler and granted by ravi address this issue and so its no more a castle but was converted to a whorehouse by now deceased Tyler.

On the case you mention of a jew shooting a black guy..so the case will be between the powerful jew lobby vs black lobby. jew lobby wins handsdown. case khallas! I would be surprised if the jew lobby didn't cry anti-semetism even against the jury who would probably play safe and do a nau-do-gyarah.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

This is just my hunch about why the chakkapanthi is so rampant in US or is becoming rampant. This certainly ignores some genuinely (probably very minority) of cases involving natural (dis) orientation and preferences among these folks. But most cases may be due to screwed up white and black families wherein remarriages involving folks with kids (of whatever ages) ultimately resulting in the guy screwing not just his new wife but also the kids she had prior to marriage. Same thing happens with lady screwing not just the new husband but the kids of his. In the bible belt I would even think incest cases are also rampant where kids are total fair game for parents and vice versa.

Note when I say rampant..it is not like 10s of percents. Just like pakis say terrorists are minority and may be like 1%. That's bloddy 1.5M terrorists out of 150M population. A 2-3 % incest and above mentioned cases will result in significant populations with totally screwed up outlook towards life. From metric perspective, this case is worse than terrorist case because 1 case of incest will have two screwed up cases (both parties). When these folks grow up, I believe, they try to escape from the past and try different stuff. I will defer to more worthy piskologists and sociologists for further explanation/extrapolation on this chakkapanthi in US/western society and its root causes.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/% ... n=shorturl

I know it was posted already. but a gentle reminder. sign the petition folks! it's gathering numbers. 4000 already signed. it was 500 a few days ago when I signed.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

satya-ji - no need to be disparaging about gay people
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Satya_anveshi wrote:.....
Whats chakka? The only chakka I know is jackfruit.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Chakka is 6 in Hindi which is equivalent to 9 (ombodhu) in Tamil.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

So a trans-sexual? Isn't that different from gay? And isn't it derogatory slang?
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Amber G. wrote:(wrt to Devesh message in previous page) : That's not isolated, there are quite a few in Gay community who has come out and spoken quite articulately that harsh punishment is not only unjust ( the event has already taken one life, and taking another's future will make it more unjust) but will have backlash against the community.

This case has also brought out backlash, and need to amend the knee jerk NJ legislation passed around 2002..
How's this possible? You mean some WHITE gay people actually said something in favor of a BROWN person? That is impossible.

I thought America is for White people only? I mean, us 'browns' should know our place. We can come here, make $$$ but still bitch and moan about racism against Indians, all with a straight face.

WHITE MAN EVIL...WHITE MAN EVIL...WHITE MAN EVIL...WHITE MAN EVIL... :roll:
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Also, it is quite ironic that we see this much anti-gay bigotry in a thread dominated by discussion of wrongful conviction of anti-gay bias.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rangudu wrote:Also, it is quite ironic that we see this much anti-gay bigotry in a thread dominated by discussion of wrongful conviction of anti-gay bias.
It isn't going to get better. Culturally few in India are either required to be sympathetic to gays or gay sex in public. And here is a young man who was not anti gay by any means being framed by a system that appears to be bending over backwards to allow public sex by homosexuals.

Did you seriously expect people to be cheering homosexuality while sympathizing with the boy who has been wrongfully blamed. As far as I am concerned I am anti-gay and this long discussion is not making me feel any more positive towards homosexual sex.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Shivji,

Culturally not too long ago in India some people used to be lynched for touching the wrong person and widows forced to shave their head and live a life of grief after husband's death.

By your logic, if some Indian kid were to kill a white person and get away with it, that would be a perfect excuse for all Whites to say racism against Indians is ok. Evanjihadis then would be ok to say - 'Some Hindus killed Graham Staines, so let's hate all Hindus', no?
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

oh..I see some folks are getting too touchy..I'd like to clarify that I feel sympathetic to gay cause and gay people alright. I thought chakka means gay in India.

However, I am amused that a society that segregates males and females in separate units in university..how does it allow straight and gay in the same unit? I am hearing no counter opinions nor clarifying facts on this front.
We see invasion of privacy between males and females all the time and I don't think they are getting punished this severely nor their cases getting this big.
subodh
BRFite

Post by subodh »

I hope there is a way to discuss the left-driven aggressive gay agenda and its aftermath, without being crude or blatantly anti-gay.

In other news -http://ca.news.yahoo.com/asians-fastest ... 56005.html

Chinese was the largest of all Asian groups (four million, including 700,000 who identified as mixed race), followed by Filipinos (3.4 million) and Asian Indians (3.2 million).

BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

Satya_anveshi wrote:...
However, I am amused that a society that segregates males and females in separate units in university..how does it allow straight and gay in the same unit? I am hearing no counter opinions nor clarifying facts on this front.
Small clarification Satyaji. Gender is easily observed and also reported on college application so it is easy to segreagate based on gender while allocating housing. Sexual orientation is not easily observed and also not reported on college application so colleges would not be able to segreagate based on sexual orientation while allocating housing. If and when a student asks to get a separate room the college do look into the case as happened in this case too.

The college was looking into the complaint by the Clementi kid and was offered a separate room. I do not think the college is culpable in this case based on all I have read. There was something deeper going on in that kids mind to force him to take that extreme step and unfortunately no one wants to dig deeper as it will make all others (including his parents and society at large) look bad for missing the signs. Overall, 2 lives destroyed by one juvinile act by the Dharun kid. Regret and remorse by Dharun would have gone a long way in assuaging some of the anger against him and the outcome of the jury verdict could likely have been different. To claim no fault on his part was bad legal advice by his lawyers.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

A bit dated but something showed up right up in my g-search:
What Makes People Gay?
Proving people are born gay would give them wider social acceptance and better protection against discrimination, many gay rights advocates argue. In the last decade, as this "biological" argument has gained momentum, polls find Americans - especially young adults - increasingly tolerant of gays and lesbians. And that's exactly what has groups opposed to homosexuality so concerned. The Family Research Council, a conservative Christian think tank in Washington, D.C., argues in its book Getting It Straight that finding people are born gay "would advance the idea that sexual orientation is an innate characteristic, like race; that homosexuals, like African-Americans, should be legally protected against 'discrimination;' and that disapproval of homosexuality should be as socially stigmatized as racism. However, it is not true."

Some advocates of gay marriage argue that proving sexual orientation is inborn would make it easier to frame the debate as simply a matter of civil rights. That could be true, but then again, freedom of religion enjoyed federal protection long before inborn traits like race and sex.

For much of the 20th century, the dominant thinking connected homosexuality to upbringing. Freud, for instance, speculated that overprotective mothers and distant fathers helped make boys gay. It took the American Psychiatric Association until 1973 to remove "homosexuality" from its manual of mental disorders.
Most reputable studies find the rate of homosexuality in the general population to be 2 to 4 percent, rather than the popular "1 in 10" estimate.
But the clear focus of sexual-orientation research has shifted to biological causes, and there hasn't been much science produced to support the old theories tying homosexuality to upbringing
LeVay, who is gay, says that when he published his study 14 years ago, some gays and lesbians criticized him for doing research that might lead to homosexuality once again being lumped in with diseases and disorders. "If anything, the reverse has happened," says LeVay, who is now 61 and no longer active in the lab. He says the hunt for a biological basis for homosexuality, which involves many researchers who are themselves gay or lesbian, "has contributed to the status of gay people in society."
And now, a large-scale, five-year genetic study of gay brothers is underway in North America. The study received $2.5 million from the National Institutes of Health, which is unusual. Government funders tend to steer clear of sexual orientation research, aware that even small grants are apt to be met with outrage from conservative congressmen looking to make the most of their C-Span face time. Relying on a robust sample of 1,000 gay-brother pairs and the latest advancements in genetic screening, this study promises to bring some clarity to the murky area of what role genes may play in homosexuality.

This accumulating biological evidence, combined with the prospect of more on the horizon, is having an effect. Last month, the Rev. Rob Schenck, a prominent Washington, D.C., evangelical leader, told a large gathering of young evangelicals that he believes homosexuality is not a choice but rather a predisposition, something "deeply rooted" in people.
His message: "If it's inevitable that this scientific evidence is coming, we have to be prepared with a loving response. If we don't have one, we won't have any credibility."
Still, no matter how imperfect these studies are, when you put them all together and examine them closely, the message is clear: While post-birth development may well play a supporting role, the roots of homosexuality, at least in men, appear to be in place by the time a child is born. After spending years sifting through all the available data, British researchers Glenn Wilson and Qazi Rahman come to an even bolder conclusion in their forthcoming book Born Gay: The Psychobiology of Sex Orientation, in which they write: "Sexual orientation is something we are born with and not `acquired' from our social environment."
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

pandyan wrote:
First time hearing from Dharun. In this interview, he clearly expressed his remorse, apologized for his mistakes. I always thought this was one piece that was lacking...nobody knew who Dharun was; media always posted stone-faced/rigid looking pictures of Dharun as if he is a person without emotions. Two families are devastated: one kid lost his life, another kid's life is being destroyed.

Please do what you can to support the families.
The remorse should have been expressed in court during the trial and before the jury verdict. The interview will garner him some public sympathy but do nothing to his case, verdict and sentencing. I think he needed a better lawyer who understood what this case represented and the amount of publicity it garnered. The stack was loaded against him before the case went to trial and a good lawyer should have seen these signs.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rangudu wrote:Shivji,

Culturally not too long ago in India some people used to be lynched for touching the wrong person and widows forced to shave their head and live a life of grief after husband's death.

By your logic, if some Indian kid were to kill a white person and get away with it, that would be a perfect excuse for all Whites to say racism against Indians is ok. Evanjihadis then would be ok to say - 'Some Hindus killed Graham Staines, so let's hate all Hindus', no?

R man. You see, Indians have constantly been sent on a guilt trip about their own society and no matter how much Indians bend, change and start loving homos and others no one is trying to say Indian society is getting better. Only Indians have to do that, and even Indians don't do that. That is a real irony as far as I am concerned.

So yes my position does not change despite the fact that you are trying to provoke a guilt trip about Indian society when the focus is on the degeneracy of American society.. I think you are yourself guilty of generalizing and quoting from sociology textbooks by dubious racist authors writing about India.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Satya_anveshi wrote:A bit dated but something showed up right up in my g-search:
"Sexual orientation is something we are born with and not `acquired' from our social environment."
If you put in enough money into research, you will likely find that a lot of behavior which is declared criminal is hard wired from birth. So that is a poor excuse as far as I am concerned. You see medical research into genetics is aimed at either curing genetic problems, or failing that, in the worst cases allowing pregnant women with a fetus that will be born with an incurable illness to take a call on terminating the pregnancy.

Urges to kill or have sex with children too may will have a multifactorial basis including something that "a person is born with". It's only when you decide to say that such behavior is OK in your society that you make laws protecting pedophiles or other kooks. When you take the protection of kooks to absurd lengths, then there is a problem. In this case I have zero sympathy for what I consider a sick society.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

>> We can come here, make $$$ but still bitch and moan about racism against Indians, all with a straight face.

Fairly poor logic. People get "$$$" as wages. As I said before, it is not an act of charity. Secondly, it does not imply lack of racism. Hitler too helped a few banks/ businesses run by Jews.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

If a person has something that would make him suicidal, he needs help.

Now look at this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1508407/
This study examined the relationship between sexual orientation and suicide risk in a population-based sample of adolescents. METHODS: Participants were selected from a cross-sectional, statewide survey of junior and senior public high school students. All males (n = 212) and females (n = 182) who described themselves as bisexual/homosexual were compared with 336 gender-matched heterosexual respondents on three outcome measures: suicidal ideation, intent, and self-reported attempts. Logistic regression analyses were used to examine the association between sexual orientation and outcome measures with adjustment for demographic characteristics. RESULTS: Suicide attempts were reported by 28. 1 % of bisexual/homosexual males, 20.5% of bisexual/homosexual females, 14.5% of heterosexual females, and 4.2% of heterosexual males. For males, but not females, bisexual/homosexual orientation was associated with suicidal intent (odds ratio [OR] = 3.61 95% confidence interval [CI = 1.40, 9.36) and attempts (OR=7.10; 95% CI=3.05, 16.53). CONCLUSIONS: There is evidence of a strong association between suicide risk and bisexuality or homosexuality in males.
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Defau ... ?id=255614
LONDON - A new study in the United Kingdom has revealed that homosexuals are about 50% more likely to suffer from depression and engage in substance abuse than the rest of the population, reports Health24.com.

After analyzing 25 earlier studies on sexual orientation and mental health, researchers, in a study published in the medical journal BMC Psychiatry, also found that the risk of suicide jumped over 200% if an individual had engaged in a homosexual lifestyle.

These findings strongly support the results of similar studies conducted in the United States, which have unveiled the severe physical and psychological health risks associated with homosexual behavior. Drs. Paul and Kirk Cameron of the Family Research Institute revealed in 2007 that research shows that the lifespan of a homosexual is on average 24 years shorter than that of a heterosexual. As a health threat, even smoking pales in comparison, as studies show smoking can shorten one's life by only 1 to 7 years on average.
http://www.livescience.com/8734-gay-tee ... demic.html
For example, Ciara Thomas, a writer for the website HealthyPlace.com ("America's Mental Health Channel") states that, "For a number of years, researchers have known that one-third of all teenagers who commit suicide are gay. In one sense, this statistic is incredibly shocking...This means that they are 300 percent more likely to kill themselves than heterosexual youth."
Homesexuals need help with a serious problem. Not encouragement by legislation to have public sex.

Some people say that societal attitudes push homos to suicide. But the fact is there are people in society who may be hard wired from birth to be disgusted by homosexuality. That apart, this boy Dharun Ravi was not even that and he is being punished.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Shiv avure,

Every quote (and taken together) I provided above provides a hint of how the opinion/research/narrative is tailored to steer the society in a given direction.

I totally understand and applaud the people's/society's duty to discover and understand various causes of what goes on in the society and ensure any type of unfair bias leading to crime are stopped/eliminated.

However, gay research based on my simple g-search does not unequivocally establish the primacy of science behind that gay phenomenon.

On other note, in India there have been kings/monarchs and even elected MPs who were chakka/hijda/eunuch etc (I don't even know what is the best local/hindi term in India to refer to gays). Also these folks have existed for millennia. There are a lot of shady things associated with hijdas in India as with everything else..but not sure if there is a strong case of specific targeting or "lyinching" of hijdas as someone is trying to indicate.

In that sense I find India to be more liberal towards chakkas/hijdas/eunuchs/gays etc than Uncle sham. I will wait for the day when US president can proudly claim to belong to gay community and get elected.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SatyaAnveshi - gays have a place in society, but not merely for free sex. What the US is doing is wrong. They think its all about sex. But when you allow free gay sex you are impinging on the feelings of non homosexual people who are being told to accommodate gays like they accommodated blacks and other immigrants. Gays are not going to be treated well just because a law screws anyone who does that - or as in this case punishes an innocent person.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Kalnemi, a minor nitpick:
Either the defense was really sloppy, or the judge/jury were indeed biased against Ravi.
It could just as easily be both!

Nevertheless, welcome to BRF, and thanks for a great post. Hope to hear more from you in future.
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

I am now going to use the most overused term in interwebs of today.... O--M--G!!! What the heck are you guys talking about. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know a few Indians who are as SDRE as they come. They are also as gay as they come. One is a good friend who was my room mate for years.

I also know a few white people who are as white as they come, my GHQ being one.

Will post more when I gain some composure.
subodh
BRFite

Post by subodh »

abhishek_sharma wrote:>> We can come here, make $$$ but still bitch and moan about racism against Indians, all with a straight face.

Fairly poor logic. People get "$$$" as wages. As I said before, it is not an act of charity. Secondly, it does not imply lack of racism. Hitler too helped a few banks/ businesses run by Jews.

The US remains one of the most welcoming societies for immigrants, especially Indians. Just as I dont care to go to Dharavi, or to the deep green parts of UP - I dont particularly care to go to Alabama or parts of the deep south where my browness may meet local whitey 'racism'.

In some ways, 'racism' is part of the human condition everywhere, and people's single minded obsession in trying to see things mostly via that prism (vis-a-vis the US) does this board a bit of a disservice - by crowding out any otehr factors and nuance that may explain things better and deepen our understanding of the issues.

I have been here since the mid-90, always worked in front line Wall Street jobs, despite having a fairly sensitive radar, never faced any institutional racism in the least (of course, met my share of dumb nimrods who came in all colours and said silly things in their individual capacity- but with my personality, these incidents remain isolated, as i gave back many times more than i get). I got given every opportunity in my job to progress that would be offerred to anyone who performed, and am now managing a fairly large team, which is diverse in gender, nationality and race.

My story is not unique - my supervisor is lebenese-french, my collegues range from Iranian-Canadians, to Egyptian, to very local white American.

Some of this has to do with the fact that I work in one of the largest financial institutions in the country, and firms like mine figured out very long ago, the discrimination gig hurts the bottom line, so its best weeded out very forcefully.

Lets try to move on from this 'racism' argument as the only point we use to look at the US.

Or believeing this is a 'degenrate' society as some are implying - because they have rights for gay people. We miss out on a lot by keeping this so cartoonishly simple.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Rangudu,

Here's the problem: and why I characterize it as a racist flaw of the American judicial system.

Ravi has been charged and found guilty of "bias intimidation" under a statute that says: it doesn't matter if the perpetrator was actually biased, what matters is that the victim perceived that he was targeted out of bias.

By exactly this principle, am I not justified in claiming that the judicial system targeted Ravi only and exactly because he is Indian and Hindu? It doesn't matter if the American judicial system sees its targeting of Ravi as racist; ALL that matters, is that I choose to perceive it that way!

In fact, under this statute, if I get into a legal altercation with an American of non-Indian/Hindu descent: he can easily hang "bias intimidation" on me. He simply has to claim that he perceives my actions as motivated by prejudice against his race/religion/gender/sexual orientation etc.

Equally, I can also claim to perceive that a non-Indian/Hindu person is targeting me because of bias against my ethnicity.

The question is: WHO will a typical American jury believe, especially if my opponent is White and Christian or Jewish?

My point is this. The vast latitude of subjectivity involved in determining "did the victim PERCEIVE that he was targeted out of bias"... is ITSELF incapable of eliminating the employment of bias by jurors in determining it. People are going to decide whether an alleged victim was justified in perceiving bias, based on their OWN biases about the alleged perpetrator.

And that, rather than the existence of actual bias, is going to determine the fate of the accused.

Given popular perceptions of Indians, specifically Hindus, as coming from a regressive culture that promotes caste inequality, gender oppression, persecution of Muslims and Christians, "untouchability" etc... do you see how fundamentally skewed the system becomes against us?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

subodh wrote: Or believeing this is a 'degenrate' society as some are implying - because they have rights for gay people. We miss out on a lot by keeping this so cartoonishly simple.
"We" are not missing anything here.

I believe that your viewpoint on this issue is cartoonishly simple, perhaps based on the advantages that society has given you. I never cease to be fascinated by the way the US builds up a following of people who genuinely benefit so much from the US that they form a solid support for the US and the US deserves all credit for that.

But I have my reasons for saying what i say. The US uses its great fan following to take some despicably unfair actions against nations like India, and not a millimeter is given in support of India when it comes to some issues.

The US deserves to get a bit of that from some Indians, even at the risk of having to face up to other Indians who get upset at criticism of the US. You have your views, I have mine. You think views such as those I have expressed are cartoonishly simple - and they are because the US's way of bullshitting the world about some of its most blatant and biased actions are as cartoonish and simple as that. Only one who needs to depend on the US might be loath to see it that way and put up a stout defence of the US.
Last edited by shiv on 22 Mar 2012 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

subodh wrote:The US remains one of the most welcoming societies for immigrants, especially Indians.
Can we replace NRIs by equal number of randomly chosen Indians? Probably not. US welcomes *only* highly educated immigrants. Their welcome of 2% highly educated Indians does not allow us to infer anything about their attitude towards all Indians. There was an article in TIME magazine about Indians (written by Stein). Where is it?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rangudu wrote:Shivji,

Isn't that the open fly torn shirt argument that Shiv reminds us all the time?

And when the matter is Amercian society why bring in Hindus in India?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shiv wrote:
The US deserves to get a bit of that from some Indians, even at the risk of having to face up to other Indians who get upset at criticism of the US. You have your views, I have mine. You think views such as those I have expressed are cartoonishly simple - and they are because the US's way of bullshitting the world about some of its most blatant and biased actions are as cartoonish and simple as that. Only one who needs to depend on the US might be loath to see it that way and put up a stout defence of the US.
US has the one of the most socially engineered societies. Since it does not have a long history of tradition this cultural war inside the US is very nascent. They had tried to export this to other countries during the cold war.
Indian secularism is a product of this export.

India does not have to agree to any social practice inside US and it should not even bother to comment on them.
subodh
BRFite

Post by subodh »

abhiskek - that is a bit circular. the Indians who came here as immigrants are a self selected group - those are the ones that chose to come here and those are the ones the average American sees and interacts with. If there was true racism against Indians, education and value-add wouldnt matter - a real racist shouldnt care, your skin colour should triumph all.

Doc Shiv - that is a strawman. No one is denying the terrible cost India has paid thanks to US policy vis-a-vis the orcs next door. That should not stop us from being objective when it comes to observing the US from inside, and branding Americans as uniformly 'racist' or describing American society in a broadbrush as degenerate is a simplistic way out.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

abhishek_sharma wrote:There was an article in TIME magazine about Indians (written by Stein). Where is it?
Here you go:

My Own Private India by Joel Stein

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 16,00.html
In retrospect, I question just how good our schools were if "dot heads" was the best racist insult we could come up with for a group of people whose gods have multiple arms and an elephant nose.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

ramana wrote:
Isn't that the open fly torn shirt argument that Shiv reminds us all the time?
Actually, what Shiv calls "open fly torn shirt" is formally considered a universal fallacy in the academic study of logic and rhetoric. The academic name given to such an argument is tu quoque, or "you do it too." This may be the preferred term to use when engaging non-BRFites, particularly in the West: but for our purposes here, "open fly torn shirt" works just fine :mrgreen:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I would like to give credit to shiv for popularizing it on BRF and making us aware of rhetoric.

Being lowly engineers were are not good at this game.