Siachen News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Re: Siachen News & Discussion

Post by Hari Seldon »

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/siac ... 87356.html
The status quo, India believes, is bleeding Pakistan more. For the Indian Army, Siachen is not negotiable. "There is no reason for withdrawal from Siachen at this stage. Both tactically and strategically, holding those commanding heights is to India's advantage. Pakistan has given no reason for India to trust it. The chief (V.K. Singh) is very clear in his mind. If ordered to withdraw troops, he would seek an order in writing and give his opinion that he opposes withdrawal in national interest in writing. After that, it is the Prime Minister's decision," a highly placed source in Army Headquarters said. When former former chief of Army staff Gen J.J. Singh came under pressure to accept withdrawal from Siachen, he went public saying it was not in national interest, sources said. "The present chief will not go public but at the same time he will not let national interest be compromised at the altar of political gamesmanship," the source added.
"For India, the core concern is Pakistan-sponsored terror. Has Pakistan closed the terror factories? Has it arrested Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed or Dawood Ibrahim? Has Pakistan closed down the mints that print fake Indian currency notes? Prime Minister Singh cannot compel the Army to withdraw from commanding heights based on empty, meaningless words not backed by action," cautions Ajit Doval, former director, Intelligence Bureau.

he strategic community calls Manmohan Singh's Siachen gamble "strategic hara-kiri". Why is Pakistan desperate for India to withdraw, asks Lt-Gen Sawhney. "Because the Indian Army is strategically deployed to overlook and-should the need arise-interject the Pakistan-China axis in the Northern Areas. Holding Saltoro Ridge is also important to block routes of ingress in the Ladakh and Kargil sectors. It forms a part of forward defence. The cost of withdrawal and redeployment would be higher than staying where we are," he says.
[...]
The strategic community is livid. "First the shameful sell-off at Sharm-el-Sheikh where Manmohan Singh accepted the inclusion of Balochistan, then the Thimphu thaw where Pakistan was let off the terror hook despite no action against the 26/11 perpetrators, and now the proposed Siachen demilitarisation. Dr Manmohan Singh will do grave injustice to the nation if he ignores Army's sincere advice on Siachen," says Maj-Gen Bakshi. However, Brigadier Gurmeet Kanwal, former director, Centre for Land Warfare Studies, argues that "today, technology permits monitoring of troop movement and violation, if any, of agreements. There will be a clause in place on punitive action should Pakistan violate the iron-clad agreement". Brigadier Rajeev Williams, who commanded a brigade in Drass, concurs: "India and Pakistan need to look beyond Kargil and Siachen. Demilitarisation will help the Army save lives and precious resources."
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

sudeepj wrote: 1. 17.6 kms is through the IFG and the LFG like high performance guns. Those cant be disassembled for mule pack. The barrel alone will be 300-500 kgs. We are talking about the 105mm pack howitzer, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTO_Melara_Mod_56

2. The biggest chopper than Pakistanis have is Mi17v5, with a service ceiling of 6kms and height hover ceiling of 4kms or so. Helicopters payload varies greatly with height and the passes we are talking about are all 5.5+kms high, with the turkestan la at 5800 meters. Even if they do this, how many sorties are we talking about per battery?

2 for the gun, 1 for the crew+ammo and food/kerosene. You will need 9 sorties for taking across three 105mm guns. Now firing across a ridge, at least they would have had some protection, but firing down the Nubra valley, they will be easy pickings for a arty locating radar and counter battery action.

Basically, anything that the Paks/Chinese can get into the Siachen, we can get more/better of, because we have a road, they dont.
*edited to correct obvious typos
Dear Sudeep,

The arguement for vacating Siachen because Pakistan "currently" have no capability to exploit is a foolish one. If tomorrow, they invent/procure a packed howitzer which can fire 40 km, would you want to re-occupy Siachen?

Siachen can be de-militarised only if pakistan is willing to give up something on a quid pro quo basis AND India and its army trust Pakistan and its army to keep their word.

There is no compelling military/political reason for India to give any concession.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

Hari Seldon wrote:http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/siac ... 87356.html
The status quo, India believes, is bleeding Pakistan more. For the Indian Army, Siachen is not negotiable. "There is no reason for withdrawal from Siachen at this stage. Both tactical---------------------------------------Army save lives and precious resources."
In the above article the most telling part is.

"Sources in the Government say that the Prime Minister has endorsed the Siachen talks for demilitarisation. For him, they say that the world's highest battlefield - and a snow-capped symbol of Indian Army's enduring sacrifice, comes without the baggage of Jammu & Kashmir and forward movement (read demilitarisation) would mean creating the right atmosphere for talks derailed by 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. Demilitarisation is his CBM (confidence building measure) offer to Pakistan"

So the above implies that:

Every time the Pakistanis have killed 100s of us, and when enough time has passed since the last killing, we should give up on areas that we are better at, to create the right atmosphere for talks.

We have to be among the most sado-masochistic civilisations on earth!

This has to be one of best expostulations of strategic thoughts that I have ever heard.

Long live India.

Best,
Ashutosh
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Acharya wrote:
ManuT wrote:
·Three, an Indian occupation of Dansum would have threatened Khapalu, which is Pakistan’s heavy brigade size garrison.

·And six, Dansum provides an easy link-up with Sub-Sector West, area west of map point NJ 9842 which is the most sensitive and fighting prone area in Siachen <SNIP>

How would India defend a artillary barrage on the Dansum camp. Is there any other logistics trail other than air.
Acharya ji
Not my blog but the 'for withdrawal' are telling how is should have been done, way back then..
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Alexis... very right.

Who in 1948 or 1971 would have even imagined that troops would be staying 365*24*7 in the siachen glacier area... so much for innovation/improvisation .

Who would have thought a highway could be built right from Pakiland to Pandaland thru the Karakorams...

and Siachen as our dear sudeepJ and ShauryaT wrongly think is not some unpassable mass of snow and glaciers. as told many times, it was traversed since historical times and it cant stop a determined body of men espicially in modern times.

Also the Ladhak region which has remained relatively immune from terrorist infiltration , will become vulnerable to infiltration from the glacier side as well. Has 24*7 patrolling of LOC stopped jehadis from breaking into India ? !!
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

manjgu wrote:
Who would have thought a highway could be built right from Pakiland to Pandaland thru the Karakorams...
This was also supported by US in 1978 with TSP and PRC working together.

The PRC TSP relationship from 1963 onwards was also supported by US after 1972.
With PRC coming into the western trading system this relationship was also led to the Gwader port which was initially supported by US in the early 90s
Last edited by svinayak on 09 May 2012 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

manjgu wrote:
This was also supported by US in 1978 with TSP and PRC working together.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Is Siachen worse than Mt.Everest? I am serious.

Mt.Everest has become a tourist spot of sorts. Siachen has the same potential?
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Hi

A long time lurker and first time poster. Since some people are very keen to trust PAKI's and are pushing arguments like economic cost and human life. Can someone on the forum find out as an exercise the cost of maintaining troops at kargil 365 days a year versus the cost India bore to take back kargil. Similarly how many lives are lost per year in kargil per year vs the number of soldiers we lost in taking back kargil? I assume the cost of taking back Siachen will be much more but for the sake of argument lets assume they are the same.

Another issue bothering me is why are we worried about economic cost to pakistan. The more pakis spend at siachen the less er the soldiers and bullets they have to fight in Baluchistan and lesser money to spend on economy which is already unraveling. People making the argument that a economically failed pakistan is bad are simply deluding themselves. Why are people pushing for people to people contact with pakis? Irrespective of whether you pour fresh water in a dirty pond or a a drop of dirt water in fresh water the fresh water gets polluted.The pakis are being kept at an arms length by there arab bretheren and chinese benefactors. Why should India accept these pests? Instead we should be rounding up the illegal ones and deporting them en mass.

JMT. As you can see I am no big fan of Gandhian principles. Bose and patel did appeal to me.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Welcome to BRF.

Obviously you would not be a fan of AH too, by any chance.

Pacifism has its place, but a lot of BS masks as pacifism. 

Many times you have a position and you cover your own inaction/action under Great Label Names, without wondering what is appropriate for the specific situation.

There is some value to MKG but none on this dhaga IMO.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Great post tsarkar!

Another point: "even if" Pakistan withdraws unilaterally, India should remain on Siachen. None of the bleeding heart stuff. Pakistan would gain no moral ascendancy even if they do this. Pakistan will never gain India's trust - not in a million years - not after all their perfidy. They are lying, double-dealing, genocidal rats.

And the human costs of remaining on Siachen - every crisis is an opportunity. This is DRDO's and our Industry's opportunity to develop equipment, food, clothing, shelter etc that will help humans live and thrive in a -50 C environment. And they have already started doing this. Once we become good at this, we can export our gear to the Russians, the West, Antarctica expeditions, space missions and what not. Someday, man will live on other planets. We can start preparing for that at Siachen.

Lets not try to create a mindspace about a "Siachen problem" that "needs to be solved". This is what MMS, Pakis and a few like Shaurya are trying to do. Siachen is not a problem for India. There is nothing to solve.
rohankumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohankumaon »

Prem Kumar wrote: Siachen is not a problem for India. There is nothing to solve.
Cannot agree more with you Prem Kumar! I really could not understand all the fuss that is going around for a long time about issue of Siachen. As you aptly put, we do not have any problem with Siachen! :D
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Pakistan's grievience is being pushed as India's.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

About Antartica, we are already there and a 3rd base is already getting ready this year...and the temperatures can drop to -50 C in winter. DRDO and IA usually provide the logistics. Siachen is an accessible training ground for sure.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

And time and again pakistan has made its failures as its grievances. for example

1. Kashmir in 1948 (Muslim majority must be given to naPakis as they are thekadar of Islam.
2. Haji pir pass and other in 1965.
3. 90,000 prisioners in 1971.
4. Siachin after Kargil of 1999.

That's their game plan to turn their tactical defeats into strategic victories!!
shyamoo
BRFite

Post by shyamoo »

Folks suggesting that we trust TSP should remember the following:

Fool me once, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I think we are all ( atleast most of us on this board ) preaching to choir here. Most of us are in agreement that the government should do nothing about Siachen.

Let us instead try and come up with a plan/strategy to prevent this from happening. How do we get this message across to people across the country?
1) Political: If the situation is explained correctly, I'm sure most of them would get really worked up. This issue could be used a political wedge issue. It may or may not influence MMS but surely some of the politicians could be influenced.
2) Legal: If MMS plans on essentially handing over Siachen to TSP, is there is a provision in the law to file charges against or to sue him as a citizen over that. Would it / could it be construed as treason? Can we come up with a "Stay" order from court and atleast buy time until the next election?

I would prefer the discussion to be more about how we can avoid/prevent the government from withdrawing from Siachen.
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Couldn't agree more. Siachen is not a problem for India. POK and Aksai Chin are so lets discuss the resolution to that. BTW pakis have been spreading the canard that IA went to antartica to train for capturing Siachen. I thought the rarefied air at siachen and terrain pose far more danger than just the cold climate encountered in antartica.

Manu, Did you mean Hitler? Nope I just didn't want the people who were changing there arguments from time to time to throw gandhi etc to the mix. Since they seem really desperate to clutch at straws. As an Indian for me the way is only forward POK and Aksai Chin back with India. For now status quo is fine.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Acharya wrote:Pakistan's grievience is being pushed as India's.
Aint they still part of India with separate vote/ vito bank with power to define Indian interests?
I dont understand this repeated Shalya Sutra recital to provide comfort and aid to Poaqoisonous snake every ready to bite.Pushing them economically and squeezing them militarily will difinitely help them adjusting to new reality. These Beggers can be chooser. The psychological defeat they are facing now now must be made permanent in their mind .
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

I meant Anna Hazare
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

IMO while this "India has no problem in Siachen" line might have some propaganda value it is incorrect and belittles the immense sacrifices that the men who serve there make. The issue is that retaking the place after the inevitable Pakistani betrayal would cost far more.

If Pakistan truly desires peace then I don't understand what their problem is with authenticating the AGPL as asked.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

anjan wrote:IMO while this "India has no problem in Siachen" line might have some propaganda value it is incorrect and belittles the immense sacrifices that the men who serve there make. The issue is that retaking the place after the inevitable Pakistani betrayal would cost far more.

If Pakistan truly desires peace then I don't understand what their problem is with authenticating the AGPL as asked.
They authenticated in kargil, what happened there in 1999?
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Authentication of the ground line position alone does not help. If at all there is authentication, what sort of guarantee does the Paki offer for future violation? I don't think the Paki has anything to offer. It won't punish or imprison terrorists on it's soil. It won't curb it's behavior. It won't get rid of it's Ghazwa mentality. The Paki has no respect of a treaty. I am thinking that it may be a really bad idea if India withdraws as in case of Paki betrayal..it's very nature..then India will have no choice but to cross the LOC and cut off Skardu from the entire North. And that may lead to some sort of nuclear exchange..so it's very dangerous to withdraw.

The Indian reaction to the inevitable Paki betrayal once we vacate Siachen, will be a major itch for some corpse commander to start launch sequences. It's too dangerous to even assume the consequences of withdrawal if one thinks this aspect. IA will bay for cutting Skardu off the North..and once the perfidy comes through i see no reason why the IA should lose lives in attempts to dislodge if it can cut Skardu off.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Anjan: no one is belittling the sacrifice made by the IA in defending Siachen. Its a strawman argument to point at people who want IA to stay in Siachen & state that they are belittling the sacrifices made.

When I said "Siachen is not a problem for India", it meant that any problems that India has in Siachen (like frostbites) are "internal only". There is no need to bring Pakistan into this equation. India needs to figure out how to protect its soldiers, keep them healthy and give them a bearable (preferably comfortable) living in that area. Demilitarization is not an option.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by Prem Kumar »

Vipul wrote:
ManojM wrote:
Fresh shot at Siachen agreement

Has our entire MEA gone bonkers? There's a limit to appeasing the pukes. The agreement signed by the pukes wont be worth the paper written on. The only iron clad way is to link it to the IWT. MEA CULPA.
Screw the country, i want the Nobel Peace Prize- MMS.
Deja Vu time - the above quote is from a BRF Poster on this very forum in 2006! Its interesting that people here have been talking about Blue Turban selling out for a Piss prize for over 6 years. Gaurav Sawant and Shiv Aroor in India Today & Venky Vembu at FirstPost have started reporting about it openly only now. Better late than never.
skganji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by skganji »

Vipul wrote:
ManojM wrote:
Fresh shot at Siachen agreement

Has our entire MEA gone bonkers? There's a limit to appeasing the pukes. The agreement signed by the pukes wont be worth the paper written on. The only iron clad way is to link it to the IWT. MEA CULPA.
This is disturbing. What is more important a Nobel Peace Prize ( which in the long run has no value) or Siachen which has a strategic value ( at present and in the long run for the country) ?. Also, MMS will be out of power in 2 years and he will be remembered more his puppet role than for his leadership. There is a saying that silence is golden but his silence could also be sinister in numerous scams the country witnessed under his role as PM.
Last edited by skganji on 10 May 2012 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Prem Kumar wrote:Anjan: no one is belittling the sacrifice made by the IA in defending Siachen. Its a strawman argument to point at people who want IA to stay in Siachen & state that they are belittling the sacrifices made.

When I said "Siachen is not a problem for India", it meant that any problems that India has in Siachen (like frostbites) are "internal only". There is no need to bring Pakistan into this equation. India needs to figure out how to protect its soldiers, keep them healthy and give them a bearable (preferably comfortable) living in that area. Demilitarization is not an option.
There is nothing strawman about it. The way it was being thrown around shows a severe underestimation of conditions facing combat troops. All that crisis is an opportunity is a load of BS unless it's your life on the line. It's a tradeoff. In actual human lives. Of casualties in one scenario vs another. This needs to be acknowledged. I object to the flippant manner in which it is brought up.
member_20283
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20283 »

PremKumar ji, 6 years is not a very long time mate. Let's hope the chai biskoot continues without concessions.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

harbans wrote:Authentication of the ground line position alone does not help.
My understanding is that phased withdrawals preceded by AGPL authentication is the currently enunciated postion of the Indian Army and the GoI.

If a treaty is violated you retaliate in kind. You cross the IB. You abrogate IWT. Whatever. If we have week-kneed leadership that won't cross the IB then that's tough luck. The political leadership is ultimately responsible for the security of the country too. It's not correct to dump all that on the poor army and ask them to hold every inch. That's how we responded to Op Gibraltar and that's the only sensible way, politically and militarily to do it. If you're so utterly scared of escalation then no matter what territory you hold, the initiative is always with the enemy.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

I made a similar point in the early pages of this discussion:
The need will be to have a binding/auto-response punishment mechanism that cannot be blocked by bhai-chara, aman, economy, west-kya-kahega and other politicial considerations.
The scare is because we have hardly ever seen a response to many infractions in the recent years. Instead we see more aman type actions.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

so now now even CCTV admits siachin is indian territory see map they shown

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Can any agreement mean to Siachen include, that India will have right to miltary posts, civilian access and AGPL authentication.

However, in the event of any major terror attack, firing on Indian Fishermen, violation of LOC ceasefire or AGPL, determined by Indian Authorities or Miltary level personal. India obligations under all treaties including IWT are Null and Void.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Gus wrote:Is Siachen worse than Mt.Everest? I am serious.

Mt.Everest has become a tourist spot of sorts. Siachen has the same potential?
Yes, Siachen is worse than everest. The problem is that the human body cant acclimatize above around 6000 meters, and at around 7000 meters, begins the death zone - i.e. the body simply cant cope, it cant digest food, it cant heal injuries (even small cuts). People try not to spend more than 24-48hrs in the death zone, if they can.

At Siachen, many Indian posts are at a height of 6400 meters. E.g. Sonam, and Bana.

When soldiers come down after a 90 day tour of duty, they can claim that they have spent 90 days at 6500 meters. There is no mountaineer, even those who have climbed all the 14 peaks above 8K, who can claim so.

Let us not minimize their sacrifice.
vanand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vanand »

What happened NLI HQ in Gayri, it doesn't mean the operational capability of pak army is affected. Their other big bases & gun positions around Gayri are still intact they can resupply their troops from those bases. Withdraw suggestion is to curtail PAK army's escalating cost with their super duper economy.

As Siachen is considered we are waging a successful attrition war and why we should stop it. It would be strategic blunder for India with draw from those heights. Considering jihadi army and China Geo politically our stakes are high there, let PA take bold decision by unilateral withdraw and we can recommend nobel prize for Kayani.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

@tsarkar
Helicopters can be stripped down to improve performance. Indian and Pakistani Mi-17s are regularly ferrying arty to that region. http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_unit.php?ch=52
Quote:
The unit did a commendable job by airlifting 393 tons of load within just nine days.
The question is, How many choppers, and 393 tons from where, to where? My guess is, this has to be from Dzingrulma to the helipad opposite the Lolofond glacier. I could mark it on the map, but not doing so for obvious reasons.. The distance is about 15-20 miles and the elevation of the unloading point is 4500 meters. All the passes, through which choppers can infiltrate into the glacier from the Pakistani side, or from Shaksgam valley are 5500 to 5800 meters high. The only other pass in is the circuitous route via the Shyok valley, which is held by the IA. I am not saying it cant be done, but the number of sorties you will need will go up, perhaps even double.

The second thing is, can this be done repeatedly? and under enemy fire? If the IA is present in the Nubra, can the Paks threaten this occupation via an assault via the glacier? Even today, at the snout of the Glacier, we have 155 mm bofors. Will these guns not fire at the intruders? Will the IAF not interfere with the enemy supply choppers? my point is, anything that the Paks can get into the glacier via choppers, we can get a bigger and better version of that weapon at Dzingrulma and all along the Nubra valley. They dismantle and lift in a 4 ton 155mm/39 gun, we can roll up a 155/52 and pinaka.

Someone said, they cant do this today, but what if they can do this tomorrow. Well, tomorrow, India will have better weapons too.. and if we dont have that advantage, we will be in a tight spot in the plains of Punjab, leave alone Siachen.
sudeepj wrote: wrote:
Basically, anything that the Paks/Chinese can get into the Siachen, we can get more/better of, because we have a road, they dont.
Grossly incorrect assumption. Offensive in the highest mountains can be rapid, and both Indian and Pakistani armies are the world’s best mountain armies. On the other hand, intelligence, like monsoon/earthquake/tsunami forecasts, by its very nature, can never be fully accurate or timely. While planned offensive can be rapid, unplanned and unprepared deployment can be haphazard. Like the IA’s reinforcements during 1962 that arrived to find the front already collapsed. The benefit of surprise always lies with the attacker. The defender can never be eternally vigilant.
So why are these two armies sitting where they are and the front line has not moved? For all of our valorous subunit actions, what we have achieved there is to sometimes push them off some cliff, and sometimes get pushed off some cliff. IMO, because the passes across the Saltoro are not much of a supply line and no large scale offensive can be launched across the passes into the valley/glacier below. Leave alone launching an offensive across the passes, we havent been able to even move down to the next ridgeline, e.g. the chumik/gyong glacier area.

Agreed, that once someone is on a ridgeline, they are hard to dislodge, but coming down from that ridgeline into the valley, that too without any control of roads, or air, is another matter altogether. The ridgeline is for OPs, heavy machine guns and mortars i.e. limited range weapons. The valley is where the true battle will be fought, and the valley is where the prize is. Even mortars on the ridgeline are not safe anymore, with long range arty locating radars, all kinds of overhead surveillance and smart GPS/laser guided artillery.

regards
Sudeep
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Don't know if this was posted earlier - http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2012/05/p ... lback.html
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

sudeepj wrote: Agreed, that once someone is on a ridgeline, they are hard to dislodge, but coming down from that ridgeline into the valley, that too without any control of roads, or air, is another matter altogether. The ridgeline is for OPs, heavy machine guns and mortars i.e. limited range weapons. The valley is where the true battle will be fought, and the valley is where the prize is. Even mortars on the ridgeline are not safe anymore, with long range arty locating radars, all kinds of overhead surveillance and smart GPS/laser guided artillery.
regards
Sudeep
Not true. PA can site the mortar and artillery positions on the reverse slopes. It will be very difficult to be targeted by our artillery (where our shells will either hit the forward slopes or fly over head the targets on reverse slopes). The rarified atmosphere at those altitudes and presence of ManPADS prevents loitering by CAS. This restricts the options to shoot and scoot by jet fighters who would need to fly over enemy lines and turn back. Given the small size of targets and presence of ManPADS, again very difficult to detect, identify and target in a short time before being toasted by AA fire.
This advantage and the fact that rarified atmosphere increases the range of shells gives PA the options to attack soft targets like villages. It will take another Kargil to vacate them then.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

KiranM wrote:Not true. PA can site the mortar and artillery positions on the reverse slopes. It will be very difficult to be targeted by our artillery (where our shells will either hit the forward slopes or fly over head the targets on reverse slopes).
Works the other way round too. The closer the artillery is to the ridge, the most restricted its own reach and range becomes.
The rarified atmosphere at those altitudes and presence of ManPADS prevents loitering by CAS. This restricts the options to shoot and scoot by jet fighters who would need to fly over enemy lines and turn back. Given the small size of targets and presence of ManPADS, again very difficult to detect, identify and target in a short time before being toasted by AA fire.
The solution is to use UAVs in lieu of manned OPs. While they're not immune to MANPADS, they do have a small size, don't leave a visible contrail, and are far quieter than a jet aircraft, making it harder for the soldier on ground to track them. They can loiter over the targets lasing it from 25000ft while strike aircraft carry out just one or two high speed passes from 40,000ft+.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

KiranM wrote:
sudeepj wrote: Agreed, that once someone is on a ridgeline, they are hard to dislodge, but coming down from that ridgeline into the valley, that too without any control of roads, or air, is another matter altogether. The ridgeline is for OPs, heavy machine guns and mortars i.e. limited range weapons. The valley is where the true battle will be fought, and the valley is where the prize is. Even mortars on the ridgeline are not safe anymore, with long range arty locating radars, all kinds of overhead surveillance and smart GPS/laser guided artillery.
regards
Sudeep
Not true. PA can site the mortar and artillery positions on the reverse slopes. It will be very difficult to be targeted by our artillery (where our shells will either hit the forward slopes or fly over head the targets on reverse slopes). The rarified atmosphere at those altitudes and presence of ManPADS prevents loitering by CAS. This restricts the options to shoot and scoot by jet fighters who would need to fly over enemy lines and turn back. Given the small size of targets and presence of ManPADS, again very difficult to detect, identify and target in a short time before being toasted by AA fire.
This advantage and the fact that rarified atmosphere increases the range of shells gives PA the options to attack soft targets like villages. It will take another Kargil to vacate them then.
Reverse slopes provide shelter, but not in the same way you said. If your arty outranges enemy arty, you can fire at a higher angle from behind a ridge, and enemy shells wont reach you. The second way it works is, you have mobile arty, and you fire a few rounds, and then move right next to the ridge, so the counter battery fire cant find you.

But modern guided shells such as excalibur, and guided rocket artillery - can shape trajectories to be much steeper (not a simple ballistic trajectory or a parabola anymore). Therefore hiding behind reverse slopes is an outdated concept against an enemy that has modern arty.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

See Gurmeet Kanwal here, asking for modern arty post haste..

""The failure to modernise the Indian artillery is likely to have adverse repercussions for national security. If there is any field of defence procurement in which the government must make haste, it is this one," Brigadier (Retd) Gurmeet Kanwal, former Director of the Centre for Land Warfare Studies, New Delhi, told Defence IQ this month."

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/29/445226 ... rylink=cpy
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Re: Re:

Post by Vipul »

Prem Kumar wrote:
Vipul wrote:
Deja Vu time - the above quote is from a BRF Poster on this very forum in 2006! Its interesting that people here have been talking about Blue Turban selling out for a Piss prize for over 6 years. Gaurav Sawant and Shiv Aroor in India Today & Venky Vembu at FirstPost have started reporting about it openly only now. Better late than never.
Mickey Mouse Singh has been incredibly lucky thus far(being at the right place at the right time) and ofcourse being ready to be a pliable remote control tool ready to serve any agenda doesnt hurt.
He has attained the very top, and has one last need according to maslow's hierarchy to be fulfilled - to see his name etched in history as the person who "brought" India and Pakistan together.
He has reached unattainable heights, his kids are settled abroad and has absoloutely nothing to loose personally if his Noble dream goes awry.Indeed the loss he will cause to the nation is immense and i hope there is enough Punya left out of the collective Tapascharya of our forefather's and sanyasis to save and see the country through this self-serving person's foolhardiness.
There is a difference to being a visionary and being a idealistc fool.