Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
BhairavP
BRFite

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by BhairavP »

They've gimped the Macbook Pro 13" though, IGP onlee, no GT650M, and no quad-core option.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

They are a new category: not challenging PCs and not challenging phones. Apple could not have anticipated this.
err I thought Apple was all about creating new categories and then making people follow them :)

If they get credit for that, they should have to eat humble pie on this
chilarai
BRFite

Post by chilarai »

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/out ... mazon-drm/

amazon closes account and wipes off a kindle !

the link may have only one side of the story though. the lady could have used stolen credit card , may have installed stock rom and then distributed books after improperly de-DRMising them (thus leaving her personal data around on the books) which book publishers caught !
but amazon's tone is to watch out for !
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

fruitco may produce good products but this sdre for some unknown reasons cannot buy one.
Maybe too much of allergy to fruit co. other reason maybe is my feeling that mahdi was a crook, cheated his partners and friends etc. :((
whatever my friends say and rave about its products I always say something not pleasing to them regarding it.
I am not able to get over this barrier. :rotfl: :mrgreen:

Recently my friend fawned over ipad iphunwa etc and asked me to buy it. funny to see him squirm explaining things to me how it is better than android. :rotfl:
Ultimately he told me that android is more sophisticated than iphone. iphone is for common people etc etc. :lol:
HTC phunwa I have is going great, able to update contiuously from froyo whatever its name is to jellybean.
I bought it damn cheap less than half the price of iphone 3 able dropped it and messed around mainly to carelesssness.:P
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Buying apple products is like falling in love. When you are in love, even jalebi seems sexy. They make sure that people fall in love so that they dont start judging the product.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

rohitvats wrote:^^^Inspite of the blasphemous rantings of the Qadiani Raja Bose about Lumia 800 phone, my experience so far has been pretty good. It took some time to get used to the interface and use of various features and settings but things are pretty smooth now. Couple of observations:
9. The battery sucks.
Abe Oye! I was merely asking you to get the Lumia 920 which really does pack a punch as compared to the competition. The 800 was a stop gap hastily assembled filler for the gullible. :P
Mort Walker wrote:The back camera use is debatable for many people using a tablet and I don't think even the Microsoft Surface has a back camera.
Surface does have a back camera and is integrated with Skype since it can be put to interesting uses in conjunction with the kickstand.
Abhijeet wrote:Vodafone has 3G plans of 300 MB for Rs. 100 per month and something like 1 GB for Rs. 250 or so per month -- quite cheap. I've heard that 3G coverage in India is spotty though it's been fine in the areas I've used it.
I am using a 3G USB modem from Reliance and can't get the stupid thing to work properly on my Win8 lappie. Tried all the compatibility crap. Saala, modem works, phone calls work, dialup works, auth over PPP fails. :(( :(( Looks like I might have to take vanvaas from BRF for the next 3-3.5 weeks. :(( :((
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Raja Bose wrote:
rohitvats wrote:^^^Inspite of the blasphemous rantings of the Qadiani Raja Bose about Lumia 800 phone, my experience so far has been pretty good. It took some time to get used to the interface and use of various features and settings but things are pretty smooth now. Couple of observations:
9. The battery sucks.
Abe Oye! I was merely asking you to get the Lumia 920 which really does pack a punch as compared to the competition. The 800 was a stop gap hastily assembled filler for the gullible. :P <SNIP>
I will take this rants of yours as jealousy....pure and simple.... :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen:

But rest assured, I will definitely wait for Lumia 920...but I really hope they get a dual/quad core to do justice to all the games and applications.

And while I just bought a Samsung Tab 2, the day I decide to buy a bigger tablet, I will check out the Window Surface...that ways, will have Android option on Samsung and Windows Ecosystem on LUMIA+Surface.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

The Lumia 920 has a dual-core CPU. Bosemullah, am going to lean on you to get me one to er...check out for an unspecified period of time :D
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

nakul wrote:Buying apple products is like falling in love. When you are in love, even jalebi seems sexy. They make sure that people fall in love so that they dont start judging the product.
more of an impulse later status symbol like. snob value. :mrgreen:
Once you buy you are scr*w*d royally. You have to buy mostly its own products.
This is acording to my friend who got the iphone through his sister as a gift.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:Surface does have a back camera and is integrated with Skype since it can be put to interesting uses in conjunction with the kickstand.
I'll get to play with one later this week and will see how it seems as an overall package. In the mean time, I wait with baited breath for the Nexus 10!
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

more of an impulse later status symbol like. snob value. :mrgreen:
I object to ur blasphemous writings. It ij a kick in the nuts for the faithfools who stand in the night at freezing temperatures to be the first in the world to lay their sticky hands on mahdi's (pbuh) pads. The pads, themselves are a perfect combination of size and comfort which abduls enjoy wearing err... holding with great pleasure. The snob value is derived from the inherent superiority since the mahdi himslef took upon the job to measure body parts to ensure that the pads are the best fit. If you find their accessoriej too big or small, rebort to cupertinabad for the resizing of your appendages to fit apple certphied goods. Any broplems phound is solely the ujers' fault. AoA
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Some of you are still living out in the past. Have you peeked into middle or high schools in maasa? Yes, you will find a line of gleaming Macs. What do you think they are going to buy when they go to the Universities. One or two, will want to use Mac books; which would have been a far cry a few years ago. Snob values or impulsive behavior? Probably in some. While many are simply peer pressured, and many like the lack of difficulty in using these gadgets. Vast majority on this planet or not technologists or technicians, simple average copy-cats. Even the highly discerning FOB desis , buys Hondas or Toyotas first. Why? Because they see something that worked in the past for fellow desis, and want to adopt.

A few morons here and there do not constitute the norm. All dissing of apil occurs based on the behavior of the fanboys.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
:rotfl: :rotfl:
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Wah aaj Swamy sir is in full form after a long time. :twisted:
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Buy An iPad Mini
:rotfl:
obviously not for apil fan bois.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

google chrome laptop at 249
microsoft surface laptop at 499
appil at 999

wonder how will apple respond to the above.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Are You Caught Up in Apple’s Reality Distortion Field? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Do Apple lovers really “think different?” What makes those who don’t buy Apple products turn away from them? This infographic gets to the bottom of why people buy Apple products, and what keeps them from buying them. And it shows how they feel about those products once they’ve bought them.

You’ll probably agree, there’s something about buying an Apple product that makes people act differently. It could be part of that famous “reality distortion field” associated with Steve Jobs, or maybe it’s just because Apple products are actually superb. The survey behind this artwork aims to quantify that thinking, measuring the differences of opinion between Apple lovers and Apple haters.

:rotfl:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

SwamyG wrote:Some of you are still living out in the past. Have you peeked into middle or high schools in maasa? Yes, you will find a line of gleaming Macs. What do you think they are going to buy when they go to the Universities. One or two, will want to use Mac books; which would have been a far cry a few years ago. Snob values or impulsive behavior? Probably in some. While many are simply peer pressured, and many like the lack of difficulty in using these gadgets. Vast majority on this planet or not technologists or technicians, simple average copy-cats. Even the highly discerning FOB desis , buys Hondas or Toyotas first. Why? Because they see something that worked in the past for fellow desis, and want to adopt.

A few morons here and there do not constitute the norm. All dissing of apil occurs based on the behavior of the fanboys.
At one of my kids high school, there are a line of Dell desktops and Dell servers. The kids on the other hand, many of them have a MacBook or MacBook Air. iPods are ubiquitous as well as iPhones. My kid on the other hand uses a Samsung Galaxy.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Bawarchi called the surface as a car that flies and floats. Did some trash talking during earnings call.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Surya wrote:
They are a new category: not challenging PCs and not challenging phones. Apple could not have anticipated this.
err I thought Apple was all about creating new categories and then making people follow them :)

If they get credit for that, they should have to eat humble pie on this
No matter how much elvish pixie dust apple claims to have sprinkled its devices, product plans have a sober market research behind them.

Lets take kindle fire nexus 7 and iPad mini.

Fruitco claims resolution is paramount. Nexus 7 is 1280x800 with 216 PPI. IPad mini is 1024x768 with163 PPI. Suddenly retina doesn't matter. What matters is how much webpage you can see. But even then held in landscape mode (nexus loses a few pixels due to home button on LCD) and not portrait (nexus would show more webpage due to more pixels ). People hold 7 inch tablets in one hand in portrait, but apple conveniently ignored it because their tablet is wider.

They go on and on about how thin it is, but nexus 7 and fire are a lot cheaper!

The point is, of new tablet sales 7 inch ones are making up about 40% of sales. It is to Amazon's credit that they forecasted this as a convenient form factor. Apple does not want chacha or takla to have a beachhead in tablet territory because they left a product category uncovered.

It is all cold calculation onlee and not all magical. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Anujan on 26 Oct 2012 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Anujan wrote:Bawarchi called the surface as a car that flies and floats. Did some trash talking during earnings call.
You mean just like Ballmer trash talked about iPhone and became a laughing stock? :)
Bawarchi it seems has become over confident which is dangerous!
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Boyz, any info on Windoze 8 ? I am desperately looking to quit the Vista crap I have (unfortunately cant quit Mickey Saaft, because of somes custom 3rd party apps that are Windoze only). The upgrade offer of Rs 1200 to Windows 8 looks good. Can I bite? How is folks experience with it.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Why didn't you ever upgrade to Windows 7? I mean it has been out for 3+ years and it is a hell of lot better than Vista. Even now I would advise upgrading to Win 7 rather than Win 8. It is stable, reliable and has no learning curve unlike Win 8 which right now looks kind of half baked at least to me.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

vina wrote:Boyz, any info on Windoze 8 ? I am desperately looking to quit the Vista crap I have (unfortunately cant quit Mickey Saaft, because of somes custom 3rd party apps that are Windoze only). The upgrade offer of Rs 1200 to Windows 8 looks good. Can I bite? How is folks experience with it.
Running it on an older Celeron DC laptop (C2D generation). Like it.. as long as you bypass the Metro rubbish, it's exactly like Windows 7. This is on an SSD, so mechanical drives may be a little slow. No issues so far.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

vina wrote:Boyz, any info on Windoze 8 ? I am desperately looking to quit the Vista crap I have (unfortunately cant quit Mickey Saaft, because of somes custom 3rd party apps that are Windoze only). The upgrade offer of Rs 1200 to Windows 8 looks good. Can I bite? How is folks experience with it.
I am running it on my 24" Desktop and 14" Laptop.. and am loving it. EVEN METRO, in fact metro apps make LOT of sense for those apps which used live in system tray such as messengers etc.

You should update IF you desktop/notebook screen aspect ratio and resolution is compatible. In case it isn't then Metro part just won't work. And that means lot of trouble as Microsoft have shifted lot of things from Non Metro parts of Windows to Metro Settings app and other metro elements.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Recommendations for a good windows phone 8 on Verizon wireless please onlee. Time to getmy son one of these smart phones. Stupid Verizon does not have good phones at all when it comes windows. They have one HTC.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

negi wrote:Wah aaj Swamy sir is in full form after a long time. :twisted:
Kya karoon ji, watching the apil haters spouting theories and acting holier than thou is like watching people of the book fighting each other. While apil fanboys get called out regularly the apil haters are not. Every now and then a moderate has to call out both fringe elements :rotfl:
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I would definitely recommend it. Had been running Win 8 RTM for a while now trying to update to the paid version.

Metro takes a little bit of effort getting used to, but once you do, its no different than Win 7. Win 8 has been optimized for SSD I think, so boot times are amazing quick as is shut down. The drive pooling feature is worth the upgrade alone.

BTW be warned of the upgrade though: you cannot use the upgrade assistant to go from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version. I am stuck since I had XP 32 bit, and hence the assistant got me a 32 bit Win 8. Now trying to get a 64 bit Win 8... hopefully the key will still work.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

anmol wrote:I am running it on my 24" Desktop and 14" Laptop.. and am loving it. EVEN METRO, in fact metro apps make LOT of sense for those apps which used live in system tray such as messengers etc.

You should update IF you desktop/notebook screen aspect ratio and resolution is compatible. In case it isn't then Metro part just won't work. And that means lot of trouble as Microsoft have shifted lot of things from Non Metro parts of Windows to Metro Settings app and other metro elements.
Yes . I have an NVDIA card and a 19" LED monitor with high resolution I got 6 months ago after the earlier monitor went kaput. Ran the Windows 8 upgrade diagnostic assistant and it says it can do it.

The only trouble is that I have the system as a dual boot with Ubuntu in the other partition. That is absolutely critical for me as all my work gets done there mostly (including browsing BR! :P :P ) and I need to have it at any cost. If for for that 3rd party crap, I would have got rid of Windows long ago.

The trouble is Windows 8 has some UEFI /security firmware rubbish. So I need to get that fixed via Ubuntu first before going for the Windows upgrade. Doable, painful, but sort of okay.

How good is that touch based gesture commands. Is it as good as on the Mac desktop ? I can get an integrated keyboard and touchpad for around Rs2k and the Mickey Saaft upgrade for 2K and for around Rs 4k, can have a TFTA gesture control enabled desktop that actually works.

Vista crap is getting on my nerves. Keeps downloading "updates" at random times (uncanny ability, just when I open that partition, first half hour sucks with that), takes Loooooooooong time to shut down and restart and if there are any updates to apply, god save you, it takes forever and .. pretty takes half an hour before the machine is usable at all after logging in.

Also, since Windows 8 has a built in anti virus, I am going to trust it and not install any 3rd party anti virus like I have done now (Comodo.. I think that sucks hard as well, along with Vista).. I put up with that rubbish, coz I wasn't willing to spend 6k or so to upgrade to Win 7 (anyways, after Vista, I had given up on Mickey Saaft), if this Windoze 8 runs okay and I get it cheap , sort of worth a look I suppose.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Tanaji wrote:BTW be warned of the upgrade though: you cannot use the upgrade assistant to go from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version. I am stuck since I had XP 32 bit, and hence the assistant got me a 32 bit Win 8. Now trying to get a 64 bit Win 8... hopefully the key will still work.
I know. I too am stuck with the 32bit rubbish of Vista and hence 32 bit Win 8. But to go to 64 bit, I think you will need to get the disk and basically reinstall Win8 afresh, losing all the apps and data and everything installed.I don't care too much about 64 bit Windoze. Just want a cheapo escape out of the Vista crap that is driving me nuts (works though.. ) with its Doziness.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

vina wrote:Yes . I have an NVDIA card and a 19" LED monitor with high resolution I got 6 months ago after the earlier monitor went kaput. Ran the Windows 8 upgrade diagnostic assistant and it says it can do it.

The only trouble is that I have the system as a dual boot with Ubuntu in the other partition. That is absolutely critical for me as all my work gets done there mostly (including browsing BR! :P :P ) and I need to have it at any cost. If for for that 3rd party crap, I would have got rid of Windows long ago.

The trouble is Windows 8 has some UEFI /security firmware rubbish. So I need to get that fixed via Ubuntu first before going for the Windows upgrade. Doable, painful, but sort of okay.
changes nothing on Windows 8 because only new computers will be secure boot enabled and that too can be disabled in Windows 8 PCs.
Also, Open-Suse's multiple boot loader trick means that any linux distro will work with SecureBoot(on windows 8 )

So it would be like Secureboot > Signed bootloader(for *nix) > signed/unsigned grub > signed/unsigned kernel

But in your case, you don't have that so you don't have to worry about anything. In order to dual boot, you have to install Windows in new partition.. that would replace Grub with NTLDR so you would need to restore grub using any bootable linux distro and make changes in menu.lst.
vina wrote:How good is that touch based gesture commands. Is it as good as on the Mac desktop ? I can get an integrated keyboard and touchpad for around Rs2k and the Mickey Saaft upgrade for 2K and for around Rs 4k, can have a TFTA gesture control enabled desktop that actually works.
I haven't tried touch pad gestures yet because I am still using old drivers for w7.(though kb/mouse gestures work really well) I will have to wait for few more days before Dell would make new drivers available for my notebook.
vina wrote:Vista crap is getting on my nerves. Keeps downloading "updates" at random times (uncanny ability, just when I open that partition, first half hour sucks with that), takes Loooooooooong time to shut down and restart and if there are any updates to apply, god save you, it takes forever and .. pretty takes half an hour before the machine is usable at all after logging in.
For that reason alone you should update.
vina wrote:Also, since Windows 8 has a built in anti virus, I am going to trust it and not install any 3rd party anti virus like I have done now (Comodo.. I think that sucks hard as well, along with Vista).. I put up with that rubbish, coz I wasn't willing to spend 6k or so to upgrade to Win 7 (anyways, after Vista, I had given up on Mickey Saaft), if this Windoze 8 runs okay and I get it cheap , sort of worth a look I suppose.
I used to like their free firewall... but when Comodo(dictionary suggests commode :rotfl:) can't protect themselves.. can't trust them at all.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

anmol wrote: changes nothing on Windows 8 because only new computers will be secure boot enabled and that too can be disabled in Windows 8 PCs.
Also, Open-Suse's multiple boot loader trick means that any linux distro will work with SecureBoot(on windows 8 )

So it would be like Secureboot > Signed bootloader(for *nix) > signed/unsigned grub > signed/unsigned kernel
But wont disabling that also disable many of the security features of Windows 8 and I will need to go back to installing a 3rd party anti virus ?
But in your case, you don't have that so you don't have to worry about anything. In order to dual boot, you have to install Windows in new partition.. that would replace Grub with NTLDR so you would need to restore grub using any bootable linux distro and make changes in menu.lst.
I dont want vista at all. What if I just upgrade to Windows 8 in the partition that has vista?. That will replace grub and I will need to restore grub I suppose. I was planning to create a partition for UEFI in Linux and hopefully Windows would be fine with that once grub is restored and I dont lose any of the security functionality in Windows and can do away with the "Commode" or similar.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

vina wrote:
But wont disabling that also disable many of the security features of Windows 8 and I will need to go back to installing a 3rd party anti virus ?
No, secure-boot is there to prevent rootkit from loading before OS.. it also makes Bitlocker VERY EFFECTIVE. But no, disabling secure-boot won't disable antivirus.. only that you won't get benefit from secureboot(which makes full disk encryption almost foolproof).
vina wrote:I dont want vista at all. What if I just upgrade to Windows 8 in the partition that has vista?. That will replace grub and I will need to restore grub I suppose. I was planning to create a partition for UEFI in Linux and hopefully Windows would be fine with that once grub is restored and I dont lose any of the security functionality in Windows and can do away with the "Commode" or similar.
Issue is that you don't have Secureboot enabled computer.. only those that you will buy NOW will have that. So you won't get any secureboot related benefits/headaches.

I don't understand what you mean by "create a partition for UEFI".. basically you can either :-

1) upgrade Vista to Windows 8

2) wipe out Vista and do clean install of Windows 8.

3) Install Windows 8 over Vista's partition, in that case Setup will move Vista's Program Files - User - Windows folder to "Windows.old".. so you will have almost complete backup of Vista.

In all three cases that will replace grub.. then you can boot into Ubuntu or any other distro using bootable disk or pendrive.. and then instead of installing you can restore Grub.

See this :- http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/live-cd- ... grub2.html
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Nexus 10 spotted
...features the latest version of Google’s Android operating system— Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. Yes, it’s still called “Jelly Bean.” There’s no “Key Lime Pie” yet.

We expect Google to announce this tablet on Monday, October 29th, in New York City.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

anmol wrote:No, secure-boot is there to prevent rootkit from loading before OS.. it also makes Bitlocker VERY EFFECTIVE. But no, disabling secure-boot won't disable antivirus.. only that you won't get benefit from secureboot(which makes full disk encryption almost foolproof).
Yes. I want to get rid of the Commode and go "Commando" like in Linux.
anmol wrote:Issue is that you don't have Secureboot enabled computer.. only those that you will buy NOW will have that. So you won't get any secureboot related benefits/headaches.
Well, actually I do. See, my original Kampooter went Paki circa 2010 or so. What I did was I went to Computer Warehouse in Barton center MG Road and got myself an Intel Motherboard (DG41RQ), but kept the hard disks (2 nos) and processor from the old Kampooter.

Now, the UEFI is an Intel standard according to Googal Unkal and it just so happens that my motherboard is UEFI compliant( it was just disabled since there was no need for it) and Micke Saaft endorses it as well. I suspect that a lot of folks who want to upgrade might have boards that are actually UEFI complaint (most intel boards have a great chance of being so) . I flashed the bios to the lastest version from the Intel website, enabled UEFI and both the Ubuntu and Vista boot .

So, logically , since I actually have it, why not use it , now that Mickey Saaft finally has a product that can use it? Therefore I plan to enable it and have Windoze 8 installed with that.
I don't understand what you mean by "create a partition for UEFI".. basically you can either :-
I plan to convert my "legacy Ubuntu" to EFI mode. So per this, to convert it, an "EFI partition" is needed/advised.
1) upgrade Vista to Windows 8
Yes. This is what I plan to do.
anmol wrote:In all three cases that will replace grub.. then you can boot into Ubuntu or any other distro using bootable disk or pendrive.. and then instead of installing you can restore Grub.

See this :- http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/live-cd- ... grub2.html
Yes. Thanks for the tip. I will upgrade to Windoze 8 and replace the windows boot lader with an EFI version of Grub.

Plan to do it early next week . Airtel is already sending mails that I am over my bandwith limit for the month and don't want to pay a bomb to download and install Windows 8. Will wait for the 1st so that I get my full quota back and do it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Stolen ideas: Apple didn't build that.
Apple is the largest and most successful technology company in the world’s history, but how did it arrive at that lofty perch? Did it create all the ideas folded into its shiny gadgets, or did it beg, borrow and steal them?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Vina

I think you are mistaken in what SecureBoot does. It is not mandatory and installing Win 8 is not magically going to lock you out of running Ubuntu. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8 in the SecureBoot section

More to the point, my computer is running 3 OS: Win XP 32 bit (that I rarely use), Win 8 64 bit and Kubuntu. I have a fairly modern motherboard and UEFI BIOS. I regularly switch between Win 8 and Kubuntu, and it is as painless as it was in earlier Win implementations. At no point has Win 8 even asked me to enable secure boot. I dont need it and I dont care.

BTW, my OSes all live on physically separate hard disks. I have not used grub to move between the OS, instead I go to the bios and simply change the boot order. Far simpler and more resilient. Of course this is not possible if 2 OSes are on the same hard drive.

I suggest you upgrade, there is a small learning curve of getting past the start screen but after that its great all the way.

Just remember 2 commands: Win key to go to start screen and simply start typing whatever program you want to run
Win + I to bring the control panel and other options and you are set.

Remember you can pin any command or program as a tile to start screen, so set up a shutdown and restart option in the start screen so you dont even have to do Win + I for that.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Guys,
i need to select a TV for my parents and am thinking of getting a Plasma 50" -
models are 50ST50 or 51E8000.
Surprisingly Sammy is not offering an extended warranty on its Plasmas (though their LEDs come with 1yr standard or 1+2 yrs extended ). But there is a third party warranty option by a purchase through bajajfinserv for additional 2 years @5K .
Panasonic is the safe choice and its Plasma models come with default 3yrs manufacturer warranty.
but is priced 25K more at ~100K.

My parents are coming from a CRT (it has been used for 20 years and still running) and think this one too will last (lol).
But i guess a model which can stay around for 8-10 years usage before it breaks down would be my aim this time.

Does any one own a Plasma here how is your experience with them ?
Last edited by Lilo on 29 Oct 2012 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note II this weekend. It is really good, but not for everyone due to size - that said, if I had to upgrade I would probably get it and use the phone with a BlueTooth headset. Hardware wise it seems to be an upgrade of the SGS III and the SGN II is sort of like the elder brother. Very fast and the stylus (S-pen) works like a stylus on a WACOM digitizer board. Surprisingly lightweight despite its large size. Battery life is very good, but some people don't like the plastic shell which must be used to keep it thin and light weight. Expect Sammy to sell at least 10 million in a quarter.