Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

Post by Hari Seldon »

Folks,

Might get a chance to address senior triservice offrs (who're taking a course) on aspects of corporate-ish strategy as relevant to the armed forces next month. Any examples I can use, or Qs I should ask - do lemme know. TIA.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Jihadi attack on Army camp in J&k.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Jhujar wrote:http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 145628.ece
Third Death During Army War Games: Lt Colonel Dies of Cardiac Arrest
NEW DELHI: In a tragic incident, a Lieutenant Colonel of the Indian Army, an expert in handling ammunition, died due of a cardiac arrest while participating in a military training exercise in the desert of Pokhran in Rajasthan. Incidentally, this is third loss of life in the Army during the military exercise within a month.According to defence officials, 39-year-old Ordnance Corps Officer Lt Colonel Pankaj Sharma was to take part in an ongoing military exercise when he suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away on Monday. The Army is making arrangements to airlift his mortal remains to his hometown for last rites. The officer, hailing from Dehradun is survived by his wife, Avantika and a 12-year-old son, defence officials said.“Sharma was a sincere and mature officer and was an expert at handling ammunition,” an officer who served with him, said. Sharma was posted at Secunderabad from where he had come for the military exercise. Before that, he was posted near Lalgarh in Bikaner.Nearly a month ago, a senior Colonel, Vishnu Prasad, 40, died of suspected swine flu at a forward location in the border area. Days before Colonel Prasad’s death, Major Dhruv Yadav, 32, lost his life in an explosion during a firing exercise there.
Wasn't Major Dhruv Yadav died a few months back on an accident involving an Arjun?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

RoyG wrote:Jihadi attack on Army camp in J&k.
Terrorists have attacked the Tangdhar army camp, 1 army jawaan (one reports say a JCO) has attained veergati.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Picklu wrote:...

Wasn't Major Dhruv Yadav died a few months back on an accident involving an Arjun?
I think it was part of the same exercise.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Old but Gold - "Yuvak se yodha tak" - The Making of a Maratha Soldier

I had the VCD with me ever since a group of us on BRF set up a page for the MLI regimental center in Belgaum (long before Indian armed forces got their own web pages)

Something made me go back and extract the video recently and I found that the CD was corrupt - and I lost about 1-2 minutes of video. But most of it is there - 47 minutes and it is a great video starting from bewildered young men walking into the center to their graduation. I enjoyed watching it again after a decade and since the bandwidth is now available I uploaded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJ8M62mVnQ
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Hari Seldon wrote:Folks,

Might get a chance to address senior triservice offrs (who're taking a course) on aspects of corporate-ish strategy as relevant to the armed forces next month. Any examples I can use, or Qs I should ask - do lemme know. TIA.
Qn - Thoughts on "Buy Desi" and Inclusion of 'Buy desi and its benefits' in NDA curriculum.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

Shivavare,
Kindly consider setting up a dailymotion account, especially for the non-youtube accessing parts of the world. Your videos would help in their enlightenment.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

K Mehta wrote:Shivavare,
Kindly consider setting up a dailymotion account, especially for the non-youtube accessing parts of the world. Your videos would help in their enlightenment.
Certainly will.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Some recent op details to warm the cockles of our hearts

1. GR unit posted on LOC - A JCO was shot in the head by a sniper. CO calls up BDE Cmdr and tells him 'I'm going in sir'. BDE Cmdr - 'I am travelling, I did not get your message. Best of luck'. Unit launches an attack. 37 Paki casualties. Happened a few months ago. As expected , complete peace and quiet in the Area of Responoability of said unit now.

2. Bachelor Cmdr Arty of a Div posted on LOC gets the following order from his new GOC ' M (common Mallu name), at so and so day and time I want you to open up with every thing you have but for exactly 3 minutes' ie every single gun in the Div would fire in intense fire mode for 3 mins. Every battery will already have targets (SOP). M is ecstatic ! Calls up his 3/4 COs and conveys the order. When all is set GOC gives order and every gun fires. Exactly 3 mins later GOC orders Cease Fire. For the rest of the GOC's tenure, complete peace resigned.

Lots of stories like this some of which have been narrated here.

I call this 'good communication'. We are merely speaking in the language they understand. When we do so the message is always understood. Simples
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> I call this 'good communication'. We are merely speaking in the language they understand. When we do so the message is always understood.

nicely put. as we know good communication is the secret to all stable relationships. :mrgreen:
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:I call this 'good communication'. We are merely speaking in the language they understand. When we do so the message is always understood. Simples
Heartening to hear and these seem to be corroborated by some news reports that slip into what passes off for newspapers in Pakiland, about "scores of troops martyred".

But it seems that while they understand the message, their primitive brains are refusing to learn. That is why we see them trying the same shenanigans again and again. They key is to put relentless and sustained pressure till the message sinks in. Howsoever, long it takes.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

but kashi, good communication is a continuous process, as any shrink would tell you. the message has to be repeated often enough for it to sink in. ;)
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

These are local instances and don't get filtered to Pak opinion makers in general so they don't see this as a strategic response. But on a tactical level it's a fact that whichever unit responds strongly is not tested again. All comes down to individual commanders. It's a fact that current govt is much more open to commanders exercising initiative. But even in the stifling situation earlier some commanders did have the guts to do the right thing.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Agree Rahul :-)
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Kashi please share some of the 'scores martyred' links from the other side.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Rahul M wrote:but kashi, good communication is a continuous process, as any shrink would tell you. the message has to be repeated often enough for it to sink in. ;)
Absolutely agree!!
Akshay Kapoor wrote:Kashi please share some of the 'scores martyred' links from the other side.
There was one newspaper report posted recently in the older STFUP thread about "many troops martyred" and I even commented on that aspect slipping past ISPR. I'll see if I can find it again.

But as you pointed out, the LoC and the IB seem to have quietened in the past month or so. Your posts explain why. Do keep them coming, very heartening for jingoes like me!!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Some recent op details to warm the cockles of our hearts

1. GR unit posted on LOC - A JCO was shot in the head by a sniper. CO calls up BDE Cmdr and tells him 'I'm going in sir'. BDE Cmdr - 'I am travelling, I did not get your message. Best of luck'. Unit launches an attack. 37 Paki casualties. Happened a few months ago. As expected , complete peace and quiet in the Area of Responoability of said unit now.

2. Bachelor Cmdr Arty of a Div posted on LOC gets the following order from his new GOC ' M (common Mallu name), at so and so day and time I want you to open up with every thing you have but for exactly 3 minutes' ie every single gun in the Div would fire in intense fire mode for 3 mins. Every battery will already have targets (SOP). M is ecstatic ! Calls up his 3/4 COs and conveys the order. When all is set GOC gives order and every gun fires. Exactly 3 mins later GOC orders Cease Fire. For the rest of the GOC's tenure, complete peace resigned.

I call this 'good communication'. We are merely speaking in the language they understand. When we do so the message is always understood. Simples
Feeling orgasmic just reading this!!! :mrgreen:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Akshay Kapoor - nice. Thanks :D
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:2. Bachelor Cmdr Arty of a Div posted on LOC gets the following order from his new GOC ' M (common Mallu name), at so and so day and time I want you to open up with every thing you have but for exactly 3 minutes' ie every single gun in the Div would fire in intense fire mode for 3 mins. Every battery will already have targets (SOP). M is ecstatic ! Calls up his 3/4 COs and conveys the order. When all is set GOC gives order and every gun fires. Exactly 3 mins later GOC orders Cease Fire. For the rest of the GOC's tenure, complete peace resigned.
Battery/Battalion Cmdr/Brigade Cmdr?
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Hopefully we are shelling them as well, just shooting isn't the same anymore. My condolonces on the death of the JCO though. It's 2015, pakistan has no reason to exist.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

C Arty aka Commander Arty aka Commander Arty Brigade (bachelor Mallu with name of M) of the DIvision. I only mentioned batteries because targets are usually registered at battery level.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Arty, Armd, Engrs have regiments. Inf has battalions
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Arty, Armd, Engrs have regiments. Inf has battalions
I know. I asked because I couldn't figure out the 'Bachelor' bit in the title. But I get what you mean now.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

What are we talking about here? 120 mm mortars?

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

120mm mortars? He's talking about the whole Brigade....that's 105mm and 130mm
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

rohitvats wrote:120mm mortars? He's talking about the whole Brigade....that's 105mm and 130mm
I though the artillery had fallen silent since the 'ceasefire' in 2003, with only small arms and mortar fire being exchanged. I'm surprised it wasn't reported in the media. I suppose by limiting to it to 3 minutes (albeit of very high volume fire), they designed it to be a low profile, high impact action.
Last edited by Viv S on 26 Nov 2015 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
member_23858
BRFite

Post by member_23858 »

Akshay Kapoor-jee, May you family flourish, may you name be heard for hundreds of years. I cant even explain what happiness this SDRE mumbaikar gets when he hears about paki blood be spilled on the Border. Especially on this very emotional day.
Kick in the arse is what pakis understand. Its a cultural thing. The subservient Congressi chapprassi never understood this as they identify more with pakees than indians. But things are different now. And how....
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Link to Tweet

Fellow Tweeple, can you help spread the word out here?

Harpreet ‏@CestMoiz
Troops Dip Into Their Pockets to Fight J and K Terror - The New Indian Express http://bit.ly/1QBlFKD via @NewIndianXpress
A sad state..

Harpreet ‏@CestMoiz
2/n
Wonder how many of us are aware that India is actually a leading exporter of body armour in the world?

Harpreet ‏@CestMoiz
3/n
Bulletproof jackets and helmets, built to very exacting requirements are manufactured INSIDE India and exported to many countries.

Harpreet ‏@CestMoiz
4/n
Customers for Kevlar vests / bulletproof helmets made in India include armies of France, Germany, Britain and Spain!

5/n
200+ forces (police / military) in 50+ countries source personal ballistic protection equipment from India!
Nice, no?

6/n
These also include police forces in the US and Japan.
But the Indian soldier / policeman fighting terrorists every single day, does ..

7/n
.. so without the benefit of the same. Wonder how many MN Rais / Santosh Mahadiks would have been alive today had the nation deemed ..

8/n
..their lives worthy enough for protection by light bulletproofs. Those who still remember, are observing the anniversary of martyrdom..

9/n
.. of Hav Gajendra Singh Bisht today. Might he not have been around amongst his loved ones today, celebrating ..

10/n
.. the anniversary of award of his Gallantry Medal with him, instead of marking this as a day of mourning the Ashok Chakra awardee?

11/n
Bottomline - Huge gizmos might sound sexy, but a humble kevlar vest MADE IN INDIA, might be the single most important thing that ..

12/12
.. may end up giving an upper hand to the grunts involved in everyday dance of life and death with those that want to break us apart.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^ Is there a way to crowdsource kevlar for the troops on the frontline? Just thinking aloud.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

no. Jagan RB et al tried it during the quikclot thingy and it ended up as a fiasco as the army cant accept any donations etc directly.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

rohitvats wrote:120mm mortars? He's talking about the whole Brigade....that's 105mm and 130mm
may be even some modded 155mm ? I distinctly remember seeing a 'soltam pioneers' amongst a div's arty bde.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

I remember the quick clot thing.
One way is to make a LOT of noise on SM, hoping the MSM picks it up. Emotional issues to do with army do make for a good news report.
I guess that's the best we can do. A lot of worthies too are active on Twitter, including PM and RM. May not be a tall order to get their attention if sufficient ppl talk about it
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Making noise on SM will only get short-term attention and loud promises of donation. People's attention spans are small and most are too wrapped up in their own lives to care about others on a long term basis. In fact the only person who held on for years, pursued the matter thru various command HQs, regimental centre staff and ministry and eventually delivered the goods is/was a lurker on BRF and I doubt more than 2-3 BRFites know his name or who he is. Anyways 99.99% of the folks would not proceed beyond writing a check - convenience trumps charity. But that's not enough. IA has its own babudom and corruption with even certain gallantry medal winning young officers on the take. Hardly the stuff we want to hear but that is reality. Anyways for life saving and life critical stuff, it's best not to donate anything to the forces in material terms. If you really want to, write a check to the IA Welfare fund - every Indian consulate overseas is also authorized to accept those donations.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Raja Bose wrote:Making noise on SM will only get short-term attention and loud promises of donation. People's attention spans are small and most are too wrapped up in their own lives to care about others on a long term basis. In fact the only person who held on for years, pursued the matter thru various command HQs, regimental centre staff and ministry and eventually delivered the goods is/was a lurker on BRF and I doubt more than 2-3 BRFites know his name or who he is. Anyways 99.99% of the folks would not proceed beyond writing a check - convenience trumps charity. But that's not enough. IA has its own babudom and corruption with even certain gallantry medal winning young officers on the take. Hardly the stuff we want to hear but that is reality. Anyways for life saving and life critical stuff, it's best not to donate anything to the forces in material terms. If you really want to, write a check to the IA Welfare fund - every Indian consulate overseas is also authorized to accept those donations.
:shock: Are you referring to the ketchup colonels?

I think the best thing to do would be to tweet Manohar Parrikar if he is on twitter. He understands these issues and can force the pace of acquisitions for these items.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Martin Bakerji,

I am only relaying what happened. All credit goes to the CO of the Gorkha unit, his Bde Cmdr for (1) and , the GOC and his Arty Bde Cmdr and Arty Bde COs for (2) . There was a question earlier about the unit in (1). I was told its a GR (Gorkha Rifles) unit. Will reconfirm.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Karan,

I find the 'ketchup col' thing used in a general sense offensive. If you have evidence then please share it. The Army and other armed forces operate under very difficult (and worsening) conditions (largely imposed by govt and the apartheid by the babus) and before making such general comments do get specific cases and evidence.

I can share with you at least 10 specific cases which will make your hair stand up. Two are to do with Mulayam Singh Yadav, one with an ex Pune Police Commissioner, one with a Ad Secy MoD, one with an ex DG Police UP, one a current Divisonal Commissioner who was a DM when the issue happened, one with 2 jawans from the Mahar Regt, one with a NCO from the Rajput Regt who is I Grading at Commando Course and IMTRAT (Bhutan), a couple from very recent COs of infantry and armd. Each is shocking. My stomach churns even to think about them.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Akshay,

There are several reports of the incidents. Before getting offended kindly look into the issue. I don't know though whether Raja was referring to this/these chaps but another bunch.

This:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/trut ... 03580.html
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Reposito ... ID=Ar01500
http://www.thehindu.com/2004/05/13/stor ... 720100.htm

My point was that there are gents who engaged in such antics and probably a small group who decided they could game the system. Then there is the infamous flat issue. No point in denying such folks exist even though they are a very small portion of the total in a large system. We have a million strong Army. People forget how large that really is. 10Lakh+ people, and such stuff is inevitable to a degree.

Anyways, RB can detail which individuals he was referring to. I guessed he was referring to these chaps but I could be mistaken.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Karan M wrote: :shock: Are you referring to the ketchup colonels?

I think the best thing to do would be to tweet Manohar Parrikar if he is on twitter. He understands these issues and can force the pace of acquisitions for these items.
No I am not referring to them. I am referring to certain IA folks I had to deal with directly in connection with the donation. I bet they are a very tiny portion of the entire IA coz I know many many more IA personnel who are not like that but these small crate of bad apples can stink up the joint. What surprised me was some of them were folks who had won gallantry awards in J&K/NE and seen some serious action, not just some desk bound support staff fellow.
Hobbes
BRFite

Post by Hobbes »

I once met an officer who sustained grievous burn injuries in the 1971 war in a tank battle. He lived to bail out of his burning tank, and was honourably discharged thereafter. You could still see the terrible scars he bore twenty years after the fact. Post-recovery this officer was given an officer's post in a civilian Government organization, where he made so much money and such a nuisance of himself that, following multiple complaints, he was dismissed from service. How does one balance his courage and patriotism on the one hand against the venality and corruption he displayed later in life? There really is no black and white, just shades of grey.