2016 Republic day special

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SRoy
BRFite

Re: 2016 Republic day special

Post by SRoy »

^^

During the wreath laying at Amar Jawan, ACM Raha was described as the Naval Chief and Admiral Dhowan was described as the Air Chief by the lady commentator.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

inspiring story of the young officer, selected to lead Indian Navy contingent at Rajpath during Republic Day Parade on January 26. 2016
Squadron Commander Anil Raina, son of Chander Parkash Raina of Miran Sahib, will be the first officer from Jammu to lead a Naval contingent during a Republic Day Parade. He will also be the first officer from Marine Commandos to lead a Naval Contingent.
He is presently posted at Indian Naval Academy Ezhimala, Kerala as Squadron Commander.
Born in a lower middle class family, with father as a shopkeeper and mother a housewife, Anil joined Navy as Recruit after matriculation to support the family even as he was school topper in class 10th in 1999.
While working in Navy, he completed Plus 2 in Correspondence and by his hard work, got selected in Commission Exam in Navy in 2001. He joined Navy Academy Goa in 2002 with Plus Two NDA/Naval Academy Entry Cadets.
During the three-year training at Naval Academy, Anil achieved various special awards and feats. He became second Cadet in history of Naval Academy to win Best Tenderfooter and Best Typhooner Awards in the rigorous Jungle Training camps (Camp Tenderfoot happens in first year and Camp typhoon happens in second year; Only one cadet is selected as best cadet of whole camp).
He was also awarded +2 (Plus Two) grading in Parade Training, a highest grading that a cadet can achieve in his whole training of three years. Only one or two cadets in a course get this. He won Award of Best Master of ceremony for five times during Inter Squadron Dramatics Competition and remained as Chief Editor of Naval Academy’s prestigious Magazine ‘AHOY’ for three terms. He Passed out with the Chief of Naval Staff Trophy for Best Cadet in Seamanship in 2005.
Anil represented his Squadron in Inter Squadron Water Polo, Football, Hockey, Volleyball and X-Country Running. He passed out with the Degree of B Sc in Naval Sciences from Goa University.
He led Indian Navy contingent during SAIL Parade at Bremerhaven Germany in 2005, as a Sea Cadet from INS Tarangini (the SAIL training ship of Navy), along with other countries of world and the contingent was awarded the Smartest Crew Trophy.
He commanded the Passsing Out Parade of Sea Cadets On Board Naval Ship INS TIR in December 2005 and passed out as a Midshipman.
Anil Raina got commissioned in July 2006, after completion of total four years of training. He volunteered to join combat diving course of ten months at Navy Diving School Kochi, Kerala. He was got selected for course and passed out with the trophy of Best Diver of the course in November 2007. He became first Combat Diving Officer in Navy from J&K.
Thereafter, he volunteered to join Navy special forces, Marine Commandos (MARCOS) and got selected for the course in 2008. Passed out in January 2009 with award of Best Commando in physicals and became first officer in Marine Commandos from J&K. He was awarded On the Spot Commendation by Commander-in-Chief Eastern Naval Command for counter terrorist operations in Kashmir in 2013. In 2015, he was awarded On the Spot Commendation by Commander-in-Chief Southern Naval Command for professional excellence.
http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/son-of-so ... -parade-2/
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

rohitvats wrote:
Sachin wrote:That elephant may not be the Assaye Elephant, which is on the crest of the Madras Regiment. It could be what is known as "Div. Sign" or formation sign. Being a senior officer the GoC may be leading (or commanding) a formation by itself.
That is not an elephant but a Bull. And it is the formation sign of Delhi Area. As a rule, any formation sign with a red color background is that of an Area or Sub-Area. These are logistic & administrative formations of the IA.

Delhi Area GOC:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5164/5356 ... 025e_b.jpg
Thanks for the clarifications. This picture answers my question. Was harder to make out on the TV transmission.

Sachin saar, it didn't look like the Assaye elephant to me, that's why I ruled out the Madras regt. Anyway, good to know - I didn't know about the concept of formation signs. One learns something new everyday on BRF.
member_29218
BRFite

Post by member_29218 »

Sachin wrote: One thing which I kind of pi$$ed me off was the chanting of slogans while marching etc. The Para Commandos were kind of trotting down the Raj Path, and they were chanting some slogans. That seemed to me very Paki-ish :(. Secondly, some marching contingents were actually counting Ek..do..theen, before doing the eye's right. And there seems to be this craze for raising the legs very high, when doing eye's right (and front). The IAF contingent commander nearly slipped while doing this. To be frank, I find the British ceremonial drill more graceful (and perhaps also goes easy on the soldiers doing it). The french too seems to have a very relaxed marching style (perhaps a bit too relaxed).
Sachin Ji, despite what I said, it is a display of martial prowess, at least in the march of the various regiments. It is pomp and show and nothing impresses people more than a smartly marching unit. When they do something different from the others (goose-stepping or double-time march as in the case of the para commandos) it makes them stand out more.

Yes, I too noted the IAF commander nearly tripped!

I for one liked the Para unit, they are the second highest ranking unit in the Indian army after the Guards Brigade (if I have it right) and thus have earned the right to lead the parade. It is an extremely difficult and demanding way of marching, doing double-time and then chanting too. The chanting is their war cry in a way and to me it just added to the mystique of the Paras.

As for the eyes-right and countdown to it, I used to be the 'timer' in my own NCC unit in my younger days. Somebody has to call out the 'left -right' stuff even if there is a band playing. Usually it is 'Ek-do-Ek' or 'left, left, left-right-left'. When you do a march past in front of a dignitary or podium, it is normal for all units to do a stomping of the feet at 'eyes right' and again when doing 'eyes front' (the only ones who did not was the naval wing of the NCC). In order for the troop to get it right, it is critical for the commander to call out the final syllable of 'dahine-dekh' at the exact step so that the troop can then stomp with the right foot (it is always the right you stomp with). The current marching practice has exaggerated this stomping to be a full leg raising which makes it even more important to get the timing right. Some units do a countdown (ek-do-teen-chaar-paanch-chhe-saat) after the command is given others just do it right after the last syllable.

And with respect, I certainly don't feel any of this is 'Paki' behavior. As a youngster, I felt extremely proud even of our little NCC troop when we marched downtown in the city for any reason. Imagine then the pride and glory these soldiers must be feeling marching down Rajpath in front of their country and President. It is honor beyond belief for some, especially for the commanders. They used to recruit NCC candidates from all over India to participate in the Republic Day parade. You have to be able to march in a certain way, not everyone gets it right.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sachin - it has been years (a decade?) since we met - am now in sr citizen territory. I watch that para unit today and I think "How lovely it is to be young and fit." I would not be able to do that type of march for more than 10 steps/5 seconds without my body telling me what it thinks of me. There are older Indians too and we look at those men and are thankful for their dedication and ability to keep that fit. And fuk what the Brits do.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Primus wrote:As for the eyes-right and countdown to it, I used to be the 'timer' in my own NCC unit in my younger days. Somebody has to call out the 'left -right' stuff even if there is a band playing. Usually it is 'Ek-do-Ek' or 'left, left, left-right-left'
Been there done that ;). Our timer always used to say "chit", but with enough sound so that only his platoon hears it. I understand the need for the synchronisation etc. but at least a few years ago the marching contingents seems to get the timings correct even without the chants. And even then they had the bands marching right after them. Don't know what changed now. Secondly on the raising legs part, at least for me it looked like the troops are really struggling to raise their legs so high. In other words it appeared to be a very contrived movement rather than showing any extra prowess.
shiv wrote:Sachin - it has been years (a decade?) since we met - am now in sr citizen territory. I watch that para unit today and I think "How lovely it is to be young and fit." I would not be able to do that type of march for more than 10 steps/5 seconds without my body telling me what it thinks of me
Yes, but may be slightly less than a decade :). I am not questioning the physical fitness of the troops at all. But just thinking what changed for such a new drill movement to be introduced.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

wig wrote:inspiring story of the young officer, selected to lead Indian Navy contingent at Rajpath during Republic Day Parade on January 26. 2016
Squadron Commander Anil Raina, son of Chander Parkash Raina of Miran Sahib, will be the first officer from Jammu to lead a Naval contingent during a Republic Day Parade. He will also be the first officer from Marine Commandos to lead a Naval Contingent.
He is presently posted at Indian Naval Academy Ezhimala, Kerala as Squadron Commander.
Born in a lower middle class family, with father as a shopkeeper and mother a housewife, Anil joined Navy as Recruit after matriculation to support the family even as he was school topper in class 10th in 1999.
While working in Navy, he completed Plus 2 in Correspondence and by his hard work, got selected in Commission Exam in Navy in 2001. He joined Navy Academy Goa in 2002 with Plus Two NDA/Naval Academy Entry Cadets.
During the three-year training at Naval Academy, Anil achieved various special awards and feats. He became second Cadet in history of Naval Academy to win Best Tenderfooter and Best Typhooner Awards in the rigorous Jungle Training camps (Camp Tenderfoot happens in first year and Camp typhoon happens in second year; Only one cadet is selected as best cadet of whole camp).
He was also awarded +2 (Plus Two) grading in Parade Training, a highest grading that a cadet can achieve in his whole training of three years. Only one or two cadets in a course get this. He won Award of Best Master of ceremony for five times during Inter Squadron Dramatics Competition and remained as Chief Editor of Naval Academy’s prestigious Magazine ‘AHOY’ for three terms. He Passed out with the Chief of Naval Staff Trophy for Best Cadet in Seamanship in 2005.
Anil represented his Squadron in Inter Squadron Water Polo, Football, Hockey, Volleyball and X-Country Running. He passed out with the Degree of B Sc in Naval Sciences from Goa University.
He led Indian Navy contingent during SAIL Parade at Bremerhaven Germany in 2005, as a Sea Cadet from INS Tarangini (the SAIL training ship of Navy), along with other countries of world and the contingent was awarded the Smartest Crew Trophy.
He commanded the Passsing Out Parade of Sea Cadets On Board Naval Ship INS TIR in December 2005 and passed out as a Midshipman.
Anil Raina got commissioned in July 2006, after completion of total four years of training. He volunteered to join combat diving course of ten months at Navy Diving School Kochi, Kerala. He was got selected for course and passed out with the trophy of Best Diver of the course in November 2007. He became first Combat Diving Officer in Navy from J&K.
Thereafter, he volunteered to join Navy special forces, Marine Commandos (MARCOS) and got selected for the course in 2008. Passed out in January 2009 with award of Best Commando in physicals and became first officer in Marine Commandos from J&K. He was awarded On the Spot Commendation by Commander-in-Chief Eastern Naval Command for counter terrorist operations in Kashmir in 2013. In 2015, he was awarded On the Spot Commendation by Commander-in-Chief Southern Naval Command for professional excellence.
http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/son-of-so ... -parade-2/
What a fighter. Salam Sir.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

Print ReleasePrint

Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
27-January-2016 20:43 IST

Republic Day Parade – 2016 Awards Announced Assam Regiment Adjudged Best Marching Contingent amongst Services

The results of different competitive presentations in the Republic Day Parade – 2016 have been announced by the Ministry of Defence. Among the Services category, Assam Regiment has been adjudged the best marching contingent. In the category of Para-Military Forces and other auxiliary marching contingents, Border Security Force contingent has been adjudged the best contingent.

In the tableau category, in total 23 tableau including six from Union Ministries / Departments took part in this year’s Republic Day Parade, out of which first position has gone to West Bengal tableau, which depicted the famous Baul folk singers rendering the songs based on Bhakti and Sufi movement. While Tripura’s tableau on beautifulUnakoti sculptures, seen in a Shiva pilgrimage site was adjudged the second best, third position has gone in favour of Assam tableau showcasing the popular Rongali Bihu festival.

This year a special prize has been awarded to the tableau of Ministry of Communication and Information Technology on the theme ‘Digital India’.

In the competitive category of school children items, the dance presented by South Central Zone Culture Centre, Nagpur (Maharashtra) has been adjudged the best children item for performing the folk dance ‘SongiMukhota’ of Maharashtra. A Consolation Prize has also been awarded to SarvodayaKanyaVidyalayaand RajkiyaPratibhaVikasVidyalaya, Gandhi Nagar, Delhi, for their beautiful portrayal of traditional Folk Dance ‘Dal Khai’ seen in Western Odisha.

As in previous years, this year also Ministry of Defence had appointed three panels of judges for assessing the marching contingents from three Services, Para-Military Forces and Tableau from various States/Ministries/Departments and School Children items from Schools of Delhi as well as outside Delhi. The panels of judges today announced their results here. All these above winning contingents, tableau and schools will be awarded trophies and prizes by the Defence Minister later in separate functions organised by the Ministry of Defence.

NAo/DM/Ranjan