Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Aldonkar »

IndraD wrote:Tory leadership news: Suella Braverman backs Rishi Sunak as she says 'now is not the time for fantasies' - Telegraph

No iddea why Rishi is hell bent on becoming PM, somewhere he has a grouse against Borsi it seems! At this opportune moment when he could have sat out letting Boris finish his career Rishi has thrown hat in the competition
The BBC had a news report of Sunak leaving his house dressed casually on Sunday. In the same report there was a picture of Boris arriving at Heathrow and rushing into a taxi. Later it emerged that Sunak and Boris had a private meeting. The subject is not disclosed. Shortly after this Sunak declared that he would be running. Boris has not declared whether he will run yet but his supporters claim he has the support of over 100 MPs, however when challenged can only only list about 50. As I said to my wife they have the Boris problem - every time their lips move they are lying. Sunak has over 120 MPs on his list.

Sunak must be confident that he can turn things around by December 2024 when the next GE is due. If he puts up a good show, he may be able to stay as Conservative leader even if he loses narrowly. Then is is Starmaer's turn to screw up. At least he is better than Corbyn.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Sunak has support of 140 MPs as of now - Telegraph (insider of Tories)
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC is saying 146 for Rishi Sunak, 57 for Boris Johnson, and 24 for Penny Mordaunt. Can’t see how Boris gets to 100 by 2pm on Monday. In that case, Rishi Sunak will become Prime Minister of the United Kingdom tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63327087

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I doubt the Tories will make Sunak as PM, all Brits are too racist against Indian Hindus. Sunak should avoid it as the UK is seeing sky high energy prices due to their egging on of the war in Ukraine; and their stupidity in excess public spending.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Rishi Sunak’s pitch highlights economic competence, which is exactly what the UK needs at this juncture. Which is also why over 60% of Tory MPs who have publicly declared their support are backing Rishi Sunak. The UK sovereign yield curve is lower than the US and will fall further once Rishi Sunak is PM.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Bond yield curve means little for a small economy country which has serious economic, energy & security problems. The Pound Sterling doesn't enjoy the acceptance of the USD or Euro. Some sabre rattling by the Russians can mess up the UK.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Mort Walker wrote:Bond yield curve means little for a small economy country which has serious economic, energy & security problems. The Pound Sterling doesn't enjoy the acceptance of the USD or Euro. Some sabre rattling by the Russians can mess up the UK.
Tell that to Liz Truss. If you borrow in GBP, which the government and most businesses and individuals in the UK do, the GBP bond yield curve means an awful lot.

Too many Russian wives, girlfriends and kids in the UK (even with the sanctions). It’s the safest country in the world from Russian sabres.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

eklavya wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:Bond yield curve means little for a small economy country which has serious economic, energy & security problems. The Pound Sterling doesn't enjoy the acceptance of the USD or Euro. Some sabre rattling by the Russians can mess up the UK.
Tell that to Liz Truss. If you borrow in GBP, which the government and most businesses and individuals in the UK do, the GBP bond yield curve means an awful lot.
Doesn't mean it will get better with Sunak. A lot of factors including inflation due to policies & energy, along with strategic security. The UK is a lost cause.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
Good, honest and competent leadership can and does make a big difference. The UK definitely has many problems, but not having an incompetent / dishonest Prime Minister, will be one problem less.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

BBC reporting Boris has dropped out of race
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Can’t see Penny Mordaunt crossing the 100 nominations mark. In which case, Rishi Sunak will be PM tomorrow.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Rishi is next PM for sure.
Somehow I do worry for him. He will be the target of poison darts from every direction.
He will have to take refuge in Yoga and Gita which may provide strength and balance for the difficult job. And he should also wear his spirituality on his sleeve.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

As usual Britshits want a brownie to face up to the most difficult jobs just like they did in the WW before. Mind you they will find a reason to dump him before elections if he lasts that long. Having said that he is very much part of the elite state now with his background so he will do their bidding alright.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63368396
Boris Johnson pulls out of Conservative leadership race
Jasmine Andersson, 23/10/2022

Boris Johnson has pulled out of the Conservative leadership race, saying he had the support he needed but "it would simply not be the right thing to do".
Former chancellor Rishi Sunak and cabinet minister Penny Mordaunt remain in the contest.
In a statement, Mr Johnson said there was a "very good chance" he would have been successful, and "back in Downing Street on Friday".
But he said there needed to be "a united party in Parliament".
Mr Johnson said he had been attracted by the contest because: "I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now".
He said: "I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.
"I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.
"There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.
"But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do.
"You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in Parliament."
Gautam
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I don’t think the Tories stand a chance in the next elections, Sunak or no Sunak. Even if he becomes PM and does a good job he will be dumped after the elections as he is not white. The Tories now need fall guy to carry the blame of the need they created and what better than a brown coolie: they get to burnish their equal opportunity credentials, but the real job remains with the white man.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

IndraD wrote:Rishi is next PM for sure.
Somehow I do worry for him. He will be the target of poison darts from every direction.
He will have to take refuge in Yoga and Gita which may provide strength and balance for the difficult job. And he should also wear his spirituality on his sleeve.
He will take refuge in India/Modiji bashing to prove he is 110% British. That is the norm.
Gautam
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ing-ended/

Tories agony aunt Telegraph reports, RS had a higher (much higher actually) no of MPs backing him, when Borsi called Penny to switch side she actually asked him to stand down in favour of Rishi as most of his supporters were ready to back RS
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

If I remember correctly, RS had more support among the MPs of his party. But Liz Truss had more support among the common Conservative members, and she won. The supporters of BoJo were also running a campaign of anyone but RS, that helped Liz Truss.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-support
Sunak closes in on No 10 as Johnson pulls out of race
More than 165 MPs declare for ex-chancellor after Johnson said he would not run despite claiming he had 102 supporters
Rowena Mason, 23 Oct 2022

Boris Johnson has withdrawn from the race to be Conservative leader, leaving Rishi Sunak within touching distance of becoming prime minister.
After senior Tories warned a Johnson comeback would lead to chaos by the end of the week, the former prime minister admitted he did not have the backing of enough MPs to lead a united party.
Johnson, who never officially launched his campaign, said on Sunday night said he believed he could have delivered a Conservative victory in 2024 but it was “simply not the right thing to do” and “not the right time”.
Johnson’s move piles pressure on Penny Mordaunt, the third candidate in the race, to withdraw and accept that Sunak had the support of the parliamentary party, with almost half of MPs backing him. She had only 30 public backers by Sunday night – 70 short of the number needed to get on the ballot paper.
Sunak, who came second in the race against Liz Truss over the summer, racked up nominations over the weekend, ranging from rightwingers such as Kemi Badenoch and Suella Braverman to more centrist figures such as Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, and Grant Shapps, the home secretary.
He ended Sunday on more than 165 supporters including Cabinet Office minister Nadhim Zahawi, who had hours earlier heralded the return of what he termed “Johnson 2.0”.
A source close to Sunak said he was “not taking anything for granted”. “Rishi will be continuing to talk to colleagues tomorrow morning before nomination papers go in, and discussing how best to unite the party and take the country forward,” the campaign source said. If he succeeds he would become Britain’s first non-white PM and, as a Hindu, his victory would be sealed on Diwali.
A source on the Mordaunt campaign insisted her campaign was continuing and that she wanted to get on the ballot so party members could decide the result.
Gautam
Unfortunately, this Diwali will be followed by a solar eclipse. Let us hope for the best.
Also read: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... umiliation
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

NRao wrote:
g.sarkar wrote: I was not aware of this. In any case, those on temporary work visa (H1B) do not get any return from their Social Security/Medicare contributions, when they return back to India after 5-6 years. Their employer's contribution to both is also "lost". That is a net profit for the US federal government and they will be loth to let it go.
Gautam
I think it depends on if the alien is a resident or non-resident alien.https://www.irs.gov/government-entities ... tus-to-h1b

Seems that the FICA withholding, at the time of employment, is automatic. After that the person's residency is determined. Based on which the FICA **could be refunded**.
There is currently no provision for FICA to be refunded. These are all the agreements India has on totalisation and the US continues to stay missing from this list.

https://mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents. ... Agreements

Last I knew, Modi had raised this issue during the Trump administration, but nothing had come of it.

Anyway, OT here, we can continue in the US thread if needed.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

g.sarkar wrote:Arshyamji,Regarding the separating line, I apologize. I use a desk top and never a cell phone for reading BRF. When I was gainfully employed, my employer did not allow me to carry a cell phone at work, so I am still learning how to use it. I will try to put each article in a separate post from now on. I have been putting articles together, as otherwise my post count will go high and make me look older than my true BRF age.
Gautamji, thanks for addressing my feedback almost immediately. Apologies for the delay in response, I was not very regular on the forum for the past week.
g.sarkar wrote:I also request you to read those articles directly in its original format, as due to copyright reasons, I can not copy them entirely. A partial copy and paste may not do justice to the articles. Thanks for the compliment.
Regards,
Gautam Sarkar
Yes, this is understood and I agree. What I meant was, by using the quote tags even around the snippet, there is no confusion about what's being quoted and what's our own sentences. Anyway, this is a minor quibble at best :)

Happy Deepavali to you and your family!
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Thanks Arshyamji. And the same to you. I am leaving for Calcutta on Oct 26, for 4 months. I will start posting again in March 2023.
Take care you guys.
Gautam
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

S_Madhukar wrote:As usual Britshits want a brownie to face up to the most difficult jobs just like they did in the WW before. Mind you they will find a reason to dump him before elections if he lasts that long. Having said that he is very much part of the elite state now with his background so he will do their bidding alright.
My first thought was that Sunak should not be in the running (since the party members did not give him a mandate) because the Tories are most likely to lost the next election and he will not be in the running as PM candidate in the election after that. This is his only opportunity. He can hardly do worse than his predecessors.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

I remember reading that one of the advantages of the Westminster system is that change can be effected more frequently. Which in turn allows for faster evolution and progress than in the US style presidential system where people are stuck with ineffectual leaders for a set period of time. So no harm in trying new leadership without calling for a new election, as that is what was intended.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

I clearly remember when RS lost the race last time, pissfuls/congressy from India attacked him for being a practicing Hindu, worshipping cow & trying to ape Yogi, also Sunak shd well remember that he is in UK not UP. He has a chance to answer them now, with competence & delivery of good work, how is he going to deal with war mongers like Bojo & Biden will be an uphill task.

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

This will be interesting. No one expected RS to be a serious contender in the last election with his brown skin and cow worship, not to mention being a practising Hindu to be taken seriously by the whites. Now he is in pole position. This is history guys. Karma. , whichever way you look at it. Britannia at a tipping point in geopolitics.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

g.sarkar wrote:If I remember correctly, RS had more support among the MPs of his party. But Liz Truss had more support among the common Conservative members, and she won. The supporters of BoJo were also running a campaign of anyone but RS, that helped Liz Truss.
Gautam
Your recollection is correct. The majority of MPs backed Rishi but the Conservative members backed Truss; Boris was urging members to vote Truss partly because it was Rishi's resignation that forced him out. Many right wing Tories are borderline Nazis and that was a factor in Truss winning the members poll.

However the Tories have now realised they are drinking in the "Last Chance Saloon" and have to unite around a capable candidate and that is RS. His job is going to be difficult enough for reasons I mentioned in my previous post. I believe that he may even give Boris a position in his cabinet as he as some American general said "it is better to have him in the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in".

Sunak cannot afford to be too generous in any trade deal with India as that would expose him to the right wing Tories. Domestically, he has to cut government spending and raise Taxes, the opposite of Trusssonomics. That is going to be unpopular with the poorer people - remember that he is a millionaire and I can already here what people who lose benefits will say.

If he is lucky he will survive the next GE in two years time. But if he doesn't try he may never have another chance.
I believe that today is Diwali (I am not Hindu or religious) and that may be a lucky day for him to become PM.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Just heard that Penny Mordaunt has pulled out of the race. She could get the threshold 100 supporters. Sunak is UK PM! Happy Dewali!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

History has come full circle.

422 years after the setting up of the British East India Company in 1600 (which robbed India of her material and intellectual wealth), 165 years after the Indian Revolt of 1867 and 75 years after leaving India in 1947, England today has an Indian-origin Prime Minister of Hindu faith.

Mangal Pandey, Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Subhash Chandra Bose, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and others like them - who believed in the idea that is India - must be smiling now. Revenge is a dish best served cold. What makes this even more special is that Rishi Sunak is from the Conservative Party. That same party that had the infamous Winston Churchill as one of its members and who was responsible for the Bengal Famine.

While I don't expect Rishi Sunak to be any friend of India, the rub is truly hurting in England today. Expect sales of Burnol to rise now.

Truly an amazing start to Diwali. Happy Diwali to all!
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Well said Rakesh! This is indeed a symbolic event orchestrated by a higher power and it is not our time or place to do half-assed guess about what fate has in store for him or whether he will be a friend of India.

But right now, we quietly celebrate the burial of Macaulay and his douchebag dialogues. So folks, just chill - the world woke up to an Indian being a CXO of a nation which was not exactly nice to humanity and not just India. All those sacred Yindoo threads and all jangling off his wrist must be like rags to lots of raging bulls

A solemn yet cosmic joke moment
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The negative reaction will be from across the pond and from the continent.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

he's a literal cow-worshipper, having done so just before the elections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8excW_5wE5o
Last edited by SriKumar on 24 Oct 2022 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Next on the menu - reparations. They can start with the Kohinoor. Plus a formal apology for Jallianwala Bagh.

If that sounds unrealistic, just remember what Rishi Sunak just pulled off today. This too will come in due time.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Rakesh wrote:Next on the menu - reparations. They can start with the Kohinoor. Plus a formal apology for Jallianwala Bagh.

If that sounds unrealistic, just remember what Rishi Sunak just pulled off today. This too will come in due time.
I would be happy if idiot Americans will wake up and stop giving Oscars to low class undemocratic British figures down history. Just over past 20 years, they have dished out more oscars for biopics of ridiculous royals and racists than any democratically elected American president <double face palm>

Link asking such questions
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Rakesh wrote:Next on the menu - reparations. They can start with the Kohinoor. Plus a formal apology for Jallianwala Bagh.
Agree with the sentiment... but have always felt that Kohinoor and Jallianwala bagh have been well 'marketed', by the sicular elites, at the cost of other much bigger and serious incidents.. just like the Taj Mahal has always been promoted as the only architectural marvel in India.

(Not directed at you Rakesh ji)
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Liz Truss in refuge of cow after Rishi appointed PM

S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Just give us RR IP beyond that no expectations. Labour and Bakis must be getting their knives out.
Shudder how those stupid PMQs will go in the parliament, he will have to stand up to a lot of scrutiny.
Did a session once on a mock interview with British journos, boy they can get you hot under the collar and you literally have to keep your ego outside the building else you are skewered!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

best is not to talk to journos like mudi ..both RW & LW will attack him as apparent already. BBC is gutted as elections postponed. Telegraph gutted as Borsi sidelined. He has to keep calm and carry on, any inkling on his outlook on ukraine war?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Pakistanis are happy that a south Asian is PM.

The appropriation of others’ hard work is genetically encoded.