Indian Non-response to Terrorism after Mumbai

Anabhaya
BRFite

Re: Indian Non-response to Terrorism after Mumbai

Post by Anabhaya »

I did read the entire MKN interview.

Looks like GoI is giving Pak every chance to come clean - for the sake of the effin 'international community'. Okay, pakis don't do enough - then what really? You going to bomb the camps or somethin? :eek:

Maybe they're just begging the rats to give them something with which they can go to polls in April! :rotfl:
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

I have to admit that the GOI has managed to get so many people p-o'ed and asking: "WHAT CAN WE DO TO ***** THESE PAKI TERRORISTS?" at no cost at all to India, and for 2 months, Pakis are sweating and twisting and looking worse every day.

OTOH, look at what the Israelis did. The terrorists killed 3 Israelis. As the dust settles, most of the world is cursing the Israelis, and I don't think they have kicked the Hamas out of Gaza, or prevented future rocket attacks.

And the "option is still open" to launch military action against TSP, except that now it will be perfectly legit to attack the PAKISTANI GOVERNMENT, since it is evident to all that they are very much in league with the terrorists. No one who sees that "cyber crime" stunt can fail to understand that, whether or not they admit it.

So - India has not closed off any options. Of course, India hasn't done diddly either, and inspires no confidence even in diehard optimists and spin-loyalists like me.

INACTION IS ACTION. ALL IS MAYA. V R LIKE THIS ONLEE!
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

narayanan wrote:So - India has not closed off any options. Of course, India hasn't done diddly either.
INACTION IS ACTION. ALL IS MAYA. V R LIKE THIS ONLEE!
:rotfl: :rotfl:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ShauryaT wrote:
Chandragupta wrote:, I'm beginning to wonder if India will even respond to a crude Jehadi WMD attack. What are the chances that a UPA led GoI will not run to the US & UN if Pigs from Porkistan explode a small nuclear device in India.
Have you not heard, of the reaction by the GoI, to a WMD attack at Jingorampura? If not, I will request the infamous Doctor to please repost it, if saved somewhere. Thanks.

Shaurya - Google uncle told me that it is archived

It is here - dated 25th May 2006 :shock: The more things change, the more they remain the same.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 05#p223805'
Pardon me. but I am thinking of (God forbid) a day when a nuke explodes in an Indian city. Maybe you shoud pray that you are killed by that nuke rather than be exposed to reactions of those left alive:

The news the next day will be

"Massive blast in Jingorampur"

"A mysterious blast has devastated large areas of Jingorampur. The blast which occred at 10 AM caused the ground to shake and people in surrounding villages reported seeing a bright flash. People ran out their houses suspecting that an Earthquake had occurred.

The district officials in the nearby city of Whacknagar said that although all communication had been cut off with Jingorampur - there was nothing to "be concerned about. This is a common occurrence due to power failures in Summer. The official said everything was under control. He confirmed that an earthquake could have occurred as the town was near a seismic zone - but there were no reports of any deaths so far."

A few hours later..

"Jingorampur flattened"

Thousands of people have been killed in what appears to have been a massive earthquake in Jingorampur..relief efforts are on..The central government is siezed of the matter and an ex gratia payment of Rs 10,000 for the families of the bereaved has been announced."

The next day

"Death and misery in Jingorampur Quake"

"Eyewitnesss reported a blast and many people have been severely burned. Even people on fields have been killed. "I was reminded of pictures of the tsunami" said one witness. Jingorampur is located 400 Km from the coast. and a tsunami has been ruled out."

Some people have blamed the Army which had an ammunition dump in the area. An army recue team member denied this. Asked why the Army team were seen wearing protective suits and masks the response was because the disaster was caused by a nuclear bomb explosion"

A day later..

"Has Jingorampur been nuked?"

"Reports from the Army and defence ministry sate that the disaster was caused by a nuclear explosion. NGOs were quick to blame the Atomic Energy Commission in India which is known to have a poor safety record.

A demonstration in Delhi to protest agaisnt slow relief efforts was lathi charged by the police. One protester blamed Pakistan for the disaster. This was rejected by the misnister of state for lame excuses. Anti national elements of the right wing are trying to harm the peace process."

One week later...

"It has been confirmed that Jingorampur has been devastated by a nuclear bomb. A high power governmental enquiry has been constituted, headed by retired chief justice Blahblah to try and establish the source of the bomb. In the meantime the government has asked the people to maintain communal harmony. It thanked the government of Pakistan for its offer of aid, and rejected reports in the US media that a rogue Pakistani nuclear bomb had been exploded. "The US has so many bombs - it could have been a US bomb" said a minister - not wishing to be named""

Four days later

"Sehwag dropped from Cricket tour of Australia due to injury"
"Price of kerosene not to be raised even as Oil prices rise to $120 a barrel"
"TV returns to Jingopura - the first signs of normality"..

Did someone say "cycle of life" somewhere? :roll:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

In these two videos, the views of Sonu Nigam come out very strongly. It is also clear that he has seen through the secular propaganda of the media and the 'intellectuals', and speaks from his heart. And his thoughts are very similar to what most Indians would be thinking of.

Sonu Nigam on Mumbai Attacks

enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

hu is Sonu Nigam and y does it matter what s(he) says, pls? I am not up on the rock star worship in desh
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

narayanan wrote:hu is Sonu Nigam and y does it matter what s(he) says, pls? I am not up on the rock star worship in desh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonu_Nigam
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

narayanan wrote:hu is Sonu Nigam and y does it matter what s(he) says, pls? I am not up on the rock star worship in desh
Music Returns to Afghanistan
At the end of Sonu Nigam's concert, the first major concert by a foreign musician in the Afghan capital, the overloaded stage collapsed.

Chaos at landmark Kabul concert
Thursday, 21 July, 2005
Around 10,000 fans from all over Afghanistan had arrived at the stadium by 1700 local time on Wednesday, four hours before the musicians arrived.

Correspondents say that the crowed cheered when the musicians appeared on the stage despite the delay. The excitement with which the Indian musicians were received was unprecedented.

Sonu Nigam
Sonu Nigam - 'We Indians like Afghans'

The long-awaited concert was called off after the stage collapse, to the disappointment of the fans.

Some people argued that Afghans "are not yet ready" for such concerts, others were critical of the security forces for failing to maintain order.

"Afghanistan is still far from hosting a great singer like Sonu Nigam", one of the fans, 30-year-old Bashir Ahmad, told the BBC.

"The country and its people have spent many years grappling with war and isolation. It is difficult for them to give a proper welcome to foreign musicians."

"Things went wrong", another fan said. "But I hope Sonu Nigam doesn't leave the country with bad memories."

The singer had hoped to give a memorable evening to his Afghan fans.

"We Indians like Afghans", he said at the beginning of the concert. "It is the news of insecurity in Afghanistan that prevents Indians from visiting. But on my return, I will tell Indians that Afghanistan is secure and we can feel safe amongst Afghans."

AOT
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Thanks! Gotta admire anyone who will go on a stage in Afghanistan in 2005 and say: "We Indians like Afghans!"
"J.D. Tytler School"? What next? "Pol Pot University"? Scratch that, they already have that, aka "California Institute for Impregnating Students".
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

"...round up the usual suspects!"
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

Gotta admit, that guy has got guts.
After seeing that video after mumbai, I was thinking well of him, now he has gone beyond that. Sonu for PM.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Sonu Nigam surprised me. I thought he is one of these WKKs. But he also better be careful. TSP has many 5th colimnists in Bollywood who can help :-).
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

India hardly has choice except wait for Pak to respond: Pranab
India has "hardly" any choice except to patiently wait for Pakistan to respond to the dossier given on Mumbai attacks, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Monday.

"We won't get anything by simply losing our patience, so hardly we have a choice," Mukherjee said at CNN-IBN's 'Indian of the Year' Award function in New Delhi.
:roll:

He was responding when asked how long India will wait for Pakistan's response to India's demands after the Mumbai terror strikes for which Pakistan-based elements have been blamed.

India gave the dossier of evidence on January 5 and has since been waiting for Pakistan to respond officially.

Pakistan has said it is investigating the matter and would get back to India as soon as it is over.

Queried on his status now since he is discharging duties of the Prime Minister, he said, "Simply I am discharging duties, neither I am officiating nor acting, neither de-jure nor de-facto".

He said under the Constitution of the country, there can be only one Prime Minister. But "the Prime Minister can delegate some responsibility to his colleagues and I am doing exactly that".
Now that the EAM has provided closure to the whole episode, maybe it is time to close this thread?
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

I came across this article that brings home how non-state and tribal actors have been SOP from early on. After reading this I believe anyone who thinks differences with Pakistan can be resolved without preparing for a war is deluded.

Indian occupation of Kashmir
Meanwhile Jinnah insisted that he had no control over the tribesmen, but that he could threaten them with war by both Dominions if they did not leave. This was not good enough for Nehru, who did not believe Jinnah's protestations of innocence.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

otherwise a loud mouth, Suhel seth does write what others seldom do
The Teflon Tribe
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If Pranab has run out of ideas and words,then he should exit the stage and make way for a more potent FM.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Philip wrote:If Pranab has run out of ideas and words,then he should exit the stage and make way for a more potent FM.
For 2 months? okay, assuming he agrees with you, suggest a name from the ruling party and why would they be any more competent.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>I did read the entire MKN interview.

Where Anabhaya, is it online?
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

What a pathetic response from India. :shock:

Dont want to sound like a whine but isnt that a towel that was thrown in there by Pranabda? Why cant we just shut up and let the world wonder if we are morons than open it and clear all doubts about it.
He was responding when asked how long India will wait for Pakistan's response to India's demands after the Mumbai terror strikes for which Pakistan-based elements have been blamed.
How hard is it to dodge such a question without making it look so pathetic?
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

suggest a name from the ruling party and why would they be any more competent.

PUMPKIN phor Pradhan Mantrini! :mrgreen:
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Dawood Bhai for PM.

It will be the best way to hold TSP, Unkil and many aunties by balls upstairs or down stairs
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

My guess is that when the Pakis say (as they did officially today) that Mumbai was planned outside Terroristan, they actually, specifically mean that it was planned in India itself (and not Europe or Bangladesh etc).

I am figuring that the Pakis are going to point to those two desi Abduls arrested from UP, one of whom scouted the attack locations in Mumbai, and say that these were the actual planners, and the users of the soil of India. Ergo, the Paki soil is innocent.

It is perhaps also for this reason that the FBI yesterday renewed its request to Dilli, asking to interview these two in India. No doubt the Pakis have been whispering to the FBI about the "role" of these desi critters.

All of which proves that unless you have a credible threat of jhapad and annihilation aimed at the Paki rulers and elites, and unless you threaten their comfort level within their own comfort zones, you will continue to be treated like dirt and shit. Dilli billis can keep sleeping and snoring for how long???
RavinM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RavinM »

[quote]India has "hardly" any choice except to patiently wait for Pakistan to respond to the dossier given on Mumbai attacks, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Monday.

Wow, I think the next thing he is gonna do is, get to his knees in front of ISI, and plead to get the drama going on....
What a shame! first behave in a eunochoid manner, next go begging for breakfast! can't anyone get a bit more sense into this guy, I'd say the more number of days these chaps remain in power, Bharat can remain mahan onlee! The Image of a emerging India is fast dithering internationally, why? Clings of bangles heard all around the top order. Please man (??) get ur act togeather!
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

India has "hardly" any choice except to patiently wait for Pakistan to respond to the dossier given on Mumbai attacks, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Monday.
So after spending hundreds of billions of dollars on our military machine, we 'hardly' have any choice except to kneel down & massage Paki balls in order for them to reward us with a few washed up jihadis so that the sekoolar government can show that as a trophy & win the elections again?!

Suppose you have a wife who you love immensely. A gunda comes, breaks into your house, beats your wife & rapes her. You run to the police & catch the rapist, but the thulla has no interest in the case, he tells you to do whatever you want with the rapist and he will not interfere. You have the complete freedom to batter the ********, break every single bone in his body & strangle him to death. But no, you go outside, raise a storm & whine about how nobody is punishing the rapist for you. And when nobody gives a damn & you're finally tired of crying, you go up to the rapist and ask him to apologise & act like you've beaten him to pulp, so that you can show your face to your wife again..

Anyone remembers that Govinda song that went some thing like "This happens only in India..tana nana nana na na..This happens only in India!!". Completely fits the situation.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

And once TSP/USA manage to get away with the fiction that Mumbai was "planned" in India, it means that it was no longer 'global terrorism'; Ayodhya, Gujarat, etc kick in to explain it away.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

jrjrao wrote:My guess is that when the Pakis say (as they did officially today) that Mumbai was planned outside Terroristan, they actually, specifically mean that it was planned in India itself (and not Europe or Bangladesh etc).
The above was surmised and is starting to be the foundation of the building to be built on it as below.
CRamS wrote:And once TSP/USA manage to get away with the fiction that Mumbai was "planned" in India, it means that it was no longer 'global terrorism'; Ayodhya, Gujarat, etc kick in to explain it away.
Let's stop this type of canards, speculations and do someone else's job that much more easier. The right way to do is simply reject the notion and not extricate others (UK, US) who very well might have played a role in association with Pakistan. Kyon apne hi pyre kulhadi marne ki tayyari ho rahi hai?
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Thank you all for your feedback and kind comments on my videos. Please keep the links circulating as widely as possible... through posts on blogs, posts on other forums, emails, whatever comes to mind.

Amit, for several years, I too attempted to follow the old "Nehruvian Accomodationist" path of writing well-reasoned, impersonal, detached, fact-based refutations to the vicious psyops with which many Western media outlets relentlessly assault India. For all my efforts, my responses were almost invariably ignored.

More power to the Indians and NRIs (and there are many) who continue to drive that effort of "civil debate" against uncivilized opponents. Perhaps by attrition, their efforts will make some sort of difference in the long run.

I'm consciously choosing a different way for myself. I'm attempting to channel the vast potential of the currently diffuse public wrath that's out there.

Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and others became influential because their voices and their words found resonance with the angry American, who was himself dispossessed of an opinion by the liberal Western media. It may be an ambitious undertaking, but I aspire to re-create their achievements for my fellow citizens of India, whose right to a publicly articulated opinion has been usurped by the Turdesai media. In whatever small way I can.

N^3, "ChannelPhor" is an independent media production company but we would be delighted to collaborate with Bojitivenews, Azad Pakistan Press, NSN and all other syndicated news agencies in the interest of making the truth public!

Now, for my next project, I would like to request some guidance. I need to consult someone who is an expert on the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war. Besides this, if there is anyone else who has a facility with Urdu lyrics... changing the words of a song while preserving the rhyme scheme and metre... I would love to seek your collaborative input. Please email me at ******** if interested, and post on here that you emailed me... thanks!
Last edited by ramana on 06 Feb 2009 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out e-mail on request. ramana
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

While not an expert on 1965 war I read a lot of works on that. And offer myself.

Atish, one of our members, knows Urdu quite well.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Ok, Ramana, will email you! Thanks.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JE Menon wrote:>>I did read the entire MKN interview.

Where Anabhaya, is it online?
JEM looks like its in Karan Thapar's link.

Meanwhile Nightwatch reports for 2/2/09

India: In a broadcast interview, Indian National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan said Pakistan was easier to deal with under Musharraf. Asked by Karan Thapar – host of CNN-IBN program ‘the Devil’s Advocate’ – if Pakistan had become a more difficult or more complicated country after Musharraf, Narayanan said: “From an Indian standpoint, I would say yes. I think as far as India is concerned, with regard to the questions we had on Kashmir, etc, it was possible to do business with him. And I think our prime minister’s ... statement that ‘I can do business with Musharraf’ is now widely recognized as being part of the truth,” said Narayanan.

“I think a great deal was done” to improve mutual ties during the Musharraf regime, he said, adding it could have led to a ‘breakthrough’ :?:

Indian and Pakistani relations were more cordial during the later years of the Musharraf administration -- after the near war crises of 2002 -- than during any other period. Every longstanding dispute except Kashmir was settled or on the road to settlement. As for Kashmir, it was governed by the longest period of quiet since militant violence erupted in 1988. That ceasefire enabled India to control the security situation inside Jammu and Kashmir State and reduce it to a problem manageable primarily by police.

After narrowly avoiding a general war with India in 2002, Musharraf decided to take extraordinary measures to restore normal diplomatic, political and economic relations with India, including visiting New Delhi. He almost succeeded.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Op-Ed In Pioneer, 4 Feb., 2009
EDITS | Wednesday, February 4, 2009 | Email | Print |

Not optionless on Pakistan

Ashok K Mehta

More than two months after the Mumbai terror attack, a stalemate has been reached over Pakistan satisfying India on its demands. The new Obama Administration has shifted the spotlight to the central front, Afghanistan, with ground zero Pakistan, together the epicentre of terrorism. While Pakistan and Afghanistan blame each other for their jihadi woes, the US is making a renewed effort to fix the problem that resulted in Mumbai. As Pakistan and the US buy time on Mumbai and ensure there is no second terrorist attack on India, are we learning lessons from the incident?

Briefing the US Senate Committee on Homeland Security, Mr Ashley Tellis of the Carnegie Endowment and Mr Brian Jenkins of Rand have warned that India would continue to face jihadi attacks from terrorist groups based in Pakistan. Worse, they said India lacked effective military options to stop and deter these attacks without triggering dangerous escalation. India’s counter-terrorism responses were inadequate, lacking a clear strategy and suffering from imperfect techniques and resources. The Rand report noted “in several respects the NSG hostage rescue plan for the Taj and Trident Oberoi hotel suffered from serious defects like storm teams went in blind with no understanding of the basic layout of either of the two buildings”.

It is not unpatriotic to be critical of our operational performance. In the first public test of its mettle, the NSG did not come up to scratch. This is the view of many professional soldiers. Our commandos are guided by outdated ideas on use of force and equipment that led the Rand study to confirm that India is a terribly soft state.

What is more regrettable is the camouflage of lapses through generous distribution of gallantry awards. These are meant for conspicuous bravery and valour in the face of the enemy not for getting killed for any adventurous or foolish professional omission or commission. This devalues the highest peacetime gallantry award. The politicisation of valour was highlighted earlier by the Batla House encounter —— recognised by the Government even as a senior Minister demanded an inquiry.

The phenomenon of fake encounters among security forces in Siachen or Silchar has been encouraged by improper scrutiny of fire fights and the lure of cash and gallantry awards. Mass awards will make genuine acts of bravery inflationary. All the policemen killed during the terrorist attack on Parliament House in 2001 being decorated and glorified was also uncalled for. By this yardstick all the 512 soldiers killed in Kargil should have got a chakra for bravery.

Government has to institutionalise preventive and punitive measures for internal security. Some steps have been taken but these will not do till there is a separate Ministry of Internal Security just as the Ministry of Defence is for external security. Equally important, the ministry has to be manned by an effective individual, not some shilly-shallying unprofessional politician.

A big lacuna in national security is the preference for IAS, IPS and intelligence officers over military officers. Assertion of civilian control over military is expressed in bizarre ways to the detriment of national interest. Why is India denied a specialised national security cadre?

Excluding the military from decision-making undermines the application of power. Nearly 80 per cent of intelligence and national security posts, including internal security, in the US are held by service officers with military background. Despite the so-called integration of services with Government just two officers are posted in the Ministry of External Affairs and a handful in the Ministry of Defence. One hopes that the quick-fix on internal security will be replaced by a comprehensive and overarching system once a new Government takes office.

Meanwhile, Pakistan will take minimum steps to bring to book the culprits and organisations responsible for the Mumbai attack and it is certain that jihadi camps and bases targeting Jammu & Kashmir and India will remain in business. The unspoken deal between the US and India is that the former will do its best to prevent the next attack till May by when the general election will have to be concluded. Do not expect any substantive action on the dismantling of terrorist infrastructure. In Davos last week, Prime Yousuf Raza Gilani said he would never allow the use of his country’s soil for terror attacks and that he was sorry about 26/11. There is nothing new in this promise except the apology which is meant for the countries whose nationals were also killed in Mumbai.

What are India’s punitive options to respond to a second attack during the life of this Government? Experts in the security and risk analysis business rate the chances of a second attack as 70:30 but 60:40 before May. They say that despite the 100 per cent deployment of security forces during Parakram in December 2001, the second terrorist attack came in May 2002, six months after the first assault.

Home Minister P Chidambaram has warned of extracting a “heavy price” from Pakistan for a repeat attack. Punitive economic and covert actions are likely to hurt more than just military means. Israel’s war against Hamas has not stopped cross border rocket attacks into Israel. Yet the most visible and least escalatory option is stand alone surgical strikes.

Writing on India’s military options in The New York Times (December 14, 2008) George Friedman chose surgical strikes against terrorist camps with area weapons (cluster bombs) as the choice least escalatory and acceptable to the US but he emphasised these would be more symbolic than effective. One notch up the scale were strikes on the ISI’s headquarters in Rawalpindi but this he rated too risky. The challenge lay in devising an option that was more than symbolic and hurt Pakistan without crossing the nuclear threshold, he said. The Indian Army’s ‘Limited War’ strategy within these parameters never materialised because Pakistan kept lowering its nuclear threshold.

During Parakram surgical strikes were approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security on December 15, 2001. Military deployment resulted from this decision on surgical strikes and not any Government orders for mobilisation. Conflicting versions on who needed more time —— the IAF or the Army —— delayed and finally cancelled the strikes. One reason cited at the time was “Pervez Musharraf to paagal hai. Yudh ho sakta hai.” Surgical strikes were considered again after the second terrorist attack on Kaluchak and called off for the same reason.

Clearly surgical strikes is one way to overcome the option of being optionless in terror and to get it off the chest. But it won’t end terrorism and our problems with Pakistan.
Looks like a riposite to Pranab's optionless speech.

Two steps are guaranteed :
1) Another attack before the May 09 elections to roil Indian elite and rub their noses.
2)Lowering of the nuke threshold redlines to even lower for that is the only thing that keeps the TSP around.
Maybe:
3) If a nationalist govt has a chance ot emerge in India, then there will be coup/military takeover in TSP.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Kasab's photo as on today published by rediff
He looks SDRE onree. Surely he cannot be a Pakistani. Kufr banias seems to have done some 'treatment' on him.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Need to connect the dots to understand what happened. There are some outliers that dont fit the pattern. If India doesnt read the tea leaves correctly uncle will be the main beneficiary.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Ramana,

I really don't think there are many dots to connect here. The Paks, with full knowledge, sponsored this attack. They wanted to prove a point - economic targets, general vulnerability - and also perhaps to provoke an attack by us for which they were prepared to respond + get an excuse to pull troops to their eastern border.

That's it. Now, it is simply a question of how we are going to respond. Are we going to deter, or simply going to dither?

The "delay" - judged by the 24/7 news cycle - should not be considered too big a deal. I'm fairly confident our brethren across the western frontier are in for a surprise. But only fairly.

Everybody knew about it in advance, even we did... but that was also the case with 9/11 - there's an eerie coincidence about how they were aware, expected something big in July and then it happened in September. Same with us, we expected it in September, occurred in November...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JEM, Thanks for the reply but there is lot going on if you try to fit the picture. There was an expectiation that India would dash to Indus and get stalemated and give opportunity for uncles and anuties to meddle. And that didnt happen.

The curious thing is the op was canceled by TSP in late Sept timeframe and was then revived in Nov. In between we had the Brookings Report and all those Reidel explorations. I think these gave them hope of a better outcome and GOI's brutus fulmen(uesless thunderbolts) have changed the outcome.

So its not plain and simple as it looks. It never is with TSP except they get bold and giddy when they think they are close to uncle! From 1965 to date this is the constant.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

How is the Mumbai attack related to the present revelations about the state of the Pakonomy? After 9/11, their foreign exchange reserve jumped from <0.4B circa August 2001, to >6B by late 2002. They must have learned the lesson like the monkeys that they are:
conduct massive terror attack. Get $$$B from Unkil, WB etc. Pakistan Victim of Terrorism. Pakistan poor country onlee!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

I really don't think there are many dots to connect here. The Paks, with full knowledge, sponsored this attack. They wanted to prove a point - economic targets, general vulnerability - and also perhaps to provoke an attack by us for which they were prepared to respond + get an excuse to pull troops to their eastern border.
They certainly seemed to have proved a point till now atleast.
The "delay" - judged by the 24/7 news cycle - should not be considered too big a deal. I'm fairly confident our brethren across the western frontier are in for a surprise. But only fairly.
What exactly do you mean by that, JEM saar? Surely, our polity has not shown even the remotest sign of giving it back for the next 50 years also.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

JE Menon wrote:Everybody knew about it in advance, even we did... but that was also the case with 9/11 - there's an eerie coincidence about how they were aware, expected something big in July and then it happened in September. Same with us, we expected it in September, occurred in November...
If you want another parallel, then its the surprise and psychological shock on all sides about the scale of the attack, the number of casualties, etc.

Jihadis establish a certain pattern in the impact of their attacks, which targeted societies and governments come to take for granted, but then suddenly there's a new attack that redefines the scale and impact of the threat.

There's also a certain level of surprise and exultation on the jihadi side when that occurs - the jihadis are always experimenting with new ideas - most fail to deliver on their promise. They dont know either when the new target, the new tactics will deliver the spectacular carnage they are always hoping for.

East Africa, USS Cole, 9/11, the Parliament attack, Riyadh, Mumbai, etc
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I dont think this is jihadi attack. It was an attack using jihadi elements. IOW the backers were clear about why they used jihadis - to increase the terror effect on India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think MKN was contradicting Pranab Mukherjee as the latter was getting to be an effective stand in PM. So for whatever reasons, he backstabbed him to reduce the credibility.