Su-30: News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sum
BRF Oldie

Re: Su-30: News and Discussion

Post by sum »

Anyone wants a report on Sweetmans lecture?? (I attended about half of it)

Also, Yair Ramati also gave a beautiful perspective of aviation market trends till 2020.. anyone interested???
Sir, every report of yours is worth its weight in gold...

Please don't even bother asking if a report needs to be posted!!! Its implied. :-o
R Arun
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Arun »

hey guys according to NIIPs MD yuri belly the BARS radar in the SU30MKI will be upgraded in 2 stages, the stage1 upgrade is the BARS will retain its PESA but the radars performance and operating modes will be beefed up. At stage 2 it will be possible to equip BARS with AESA,given the active phased array advances achieved under fifth-generation fighter programmer,but it all depends upon IAF whether they accept the upgrade plans offered by NIIP or if not IMO IAF might get a different radar from scratch.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

OK... I've posted Sweetman on the AI thread... plz x-post where you wish.. Will post the rest tomorrow.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

somnath wrote:the tech specs were defined by the Indians by a large extent for the MKI, and there the inputs obvioulsy came from DRDO/IAF. But the point is that the original deal went through in such a short time that I doubt that even the IAF had a full idea of what all could be put in that plaform when it was inked first. the key point here was to lock Russia in a sufficiently open ended contract for us to able to pretty much define the specs all the way up - the reason was the quick deal making with cash upfront. At least on occastion when we beat the Chinese to it - defines the different developmetn trajectories of the MKI and the MKK...
To some extent it was a fluke.

The political angle you provided had no clue as to what the technical difficulties were. I doubt if any politician cared - only because no one had a clue. IF at all, it was only someone dreaming within the Indian technical group - that too it was a dream (to build out the Su-30 to include components from a variety of sources). The "lock" you talk of could have been the greatest blunder too. Which politician can understand integration at the level it should be? IIRC, the decision made by PM Rao was more of a political one, than a technical one. Just that the techies (Indian) proved him more than right - at a great risk.

On the technical side SU too had no clue what the end product would be (vs. look like) like. It was to a very great extent the literal demands of the IAF that drove the SU development team. I do not think am janata realises, even today, how different the MKI is from any of the Su-30 family. It is so different that I recall that even Su went through a bought of laughter. Somnathji, i would not even bother to compare the MKI to any other Su AC, forget the MKK. What was accomplished with the MKI is, even today, in a class by itself.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even the RuAF does not have a comparable platform, in large enough quantities to make a major difference, in its inventory.
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

NRao wrote: To some extent it was a fluke.

The political angle you provided had no clue as to what the technical difficulties were. I doubt if any politician cared - only because no one had a clue. IF at all, it was only someone dreaming within the Indian technical group - that too it was a dream (to build out the Su-30 to include components from a variety of sources). The "lock" you talk of could have been the greatest blunder too. Which politician can understand integration at the level it should be? IIRC, the decision made by PM Rao was more of a political one, than a technical one. Just that the techies (Indian) proved him more than right - at a great risk.

On the technical side SU too had no clue what the end product would be (vs. look like) like. It was to a very great extent the literal demands of the IAF that drove the SU development team. I do not think am janata realises, even today, how different the MKI is from any of the Su-30 family. It is so different that I recall that even Su went through a bought of laughter. Somnathji, i would not even bother to compare the MKI to any other Su AC, forget the MKK. What was accomplished with the MKI is, even today, in a class by itself.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even the RuAF does not have a comparable platform, in large enough quantities to make a major difference, in its inventory.
Though i dont have technical expertise, one thing i can tell from organisation and management point of view is that you cannot achieve what you don't aspire. I don't think SU and IAF was firing in air and eventually got the right shot. This is no game of chance.

- Nitin
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

firing in air and eventually got the right shot
:)

If "organisation and management point of view" was the key then we would have a MKI in the LCA and even the MKK.

I distinctly recall discussions on BR in mid-90s or so, including "accusations" that the MKI was nothing more than a Su-30 trainer in IAF colors. :rotfl:

Nitin Bhai,

The risk that the IAF took was so huge that even Sukhoi people had doubts at some point in time. (Which is why I would love to see the same team from India work on the FGFA - the point being the probability of success would be very high.) No one was shooting, etc. No one even said that. taking a calculated risk is not shooting for heaven sakes.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

NRao wrote: To some extent it was a fluke.

It is the opportunities and challeges IAF faced with the Mirage platform, the innate thinking to the blend the product to the unique operating requirement and the parallel program in the form of LCA which provided much needed customization made the Su-30 MKI a successful program. I dont want to call it unique becoz there are other programs which will reveal itself in due course. Of these mentionables are, ATV, Brahmos and BMD program.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Sure, now that we all know the success of the MKI we can add value to other projects.

However, go back to the very early days of the MKI and let me know how much confidence did anyone have.

Even after the first MK landed how many had a kind word to say about the MKI. It was not until very first MKI landed in India did eyes open, then it took a lot more time and even a trip to Lohegoan ( :wink: ) to convince not just what a great AC it was but the up side this platform HAS - it is still evolving for heaven sakes. The 200th MKI will not be the same as the 100th MKI.

Then, convinced, some went to the other end of the spectrum: a rear facing radar and rear firing missile, etc.

BTW, compared to the other projects you mention, the MKI had a lot more unknowns. A lot more.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

I distinctly recall discussions on BR in mid-90s or so, including "accusations" that the MKI was nothing more than a Su-30 trainer in IAF colors.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: they actually said Su-27 trainer
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

HariC,

U r right. :)

The only two other projects which were bad mouthed IMHO: LCA and Arjun. But the MKI takes the cake.

Anyways, enough of this, back to the thread.

MKI rules.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

^^^ Nothing to argue against; ment to add few points after reading your inspiring post. Other programs were similar to MKI in success and popularity.
ajay_ijn
BRFite

Post by ajay_ijn »

NRao wrote:
somnath wrote:the tech specs were defined by the Indians by a large extent for the MKI, and there the inputs obvioulsy came from DRDO/IAF. But the point is that the original deal went through in such a short time that I doubt that even the IAF had a full idea of what all could be put in that plaform when it was inked first. the key point here was to lock Russia in a sufficiently open ended contract for us to able to pretty much define the specs all the way up - the reason was the quick deal making with cash upfront. At least on occastion when we beat the Chinese to it - defines the different developmetn trajectories of the MKI and the MKK...
To some extent it was a fluke.

i completely agree . The config IAF decided in mid 90s is one most advanced even today and comparable to the best availaible in market. MKI alone changed the equations in the region, it provided that real tech edge against not only PAF but also Chinese. 230 of these beasts, imagine what they can do. they are alone are enough offset all the delays in fighter aquisitions. more importantly, India has first mover advantage with flanker. i wish IAF wud another 170, rounding off numbers to 400.
400 Rambhas :eek: :eek:
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

NRao wrote:
However, go back to the very early days of the MKI and let me know how much confidence did anyone have.

Even after the first MK landed how many had a kind word to say about the MKI. It was not until very first MKI landed in India did eyes open, then it took a lot more time and even a trip to Lohegoan
There is a very focused information blockage and disinformation campaign on the Indian public. This group controls the world view of the Indians.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Iran has ordered 250 Su-30s? Is this true? :eek:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

that would be $12-15 billion. can they afford that? if true, israelies would soon want to be have a squadron training here at our bases. there would be a lot tension to discuss even that.
Last edited by SaiK on 19 Feb 2009 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

Acharya wrote:
NRao wrote:

Even after the first MK landed how many had a kind word to say about the MKI. It was not until very first MKI landed in India did eyes open, then it took a lot more time and even a trip to Lohegoan
There is a very focused information blockage and disinformation campaign on the Indian public. This group controls the world view of the Indians.
More conspiracy theories. is it the right thread?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

q:
wiki says extensive use of composites, how much % ?
are we planning 3dtvc?
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

Sai K - The Sukhoi always had 3d TVC. Or so I have been led to believe.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Its also possible that the IAF did not quite know what a potent weapon it had on its hand.

There is some evidence to point to that as the IAF got it and started evolving its tactics it realised what options this platform allowed.

eg. 2pilots vs a pilot and WSO - argument
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Aditya_M wrote:The Sukhoi always had 3d TVC. Or so I have been led to believe.
Sai K - The Sukhoi always had 3d TVC. Or so I have been led to believe.
Su-30MKI has 2D thrust vectoring.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

How much composites was achieved on the SU-30MKI?

Thanks, ramana
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Su 30 MKI always had 2D TVC. I think they are planning to implement a Pseudo 3D TVC. i.e. it mimics a 3D TVC by changing the thrust in the engines.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

sohamn wrote:Su 30 MKI always had 2D TVC. I think they are planning to implement a Pseudo 3D TVC. i.e. it mimics a 3D TVC by changing the thrust in the engines.
MKI has pseudo 3D TVC. It has already been discussed here.

Cheers....
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

Nitin Bhai,

The risk that the IAF took was so huge that even Sukhoi people had doubts at some point in time. (Which is why I would love to see the same team from India work on the FGFA - the point being the probability of success would be very high.) No one was shooting, etc. No one even said that. taking a calculated risk is not shooting for heaven sakes.

---

calculated risk is not shooting for heaven sakes.
That is what i meant. It was a calculated risk. Such a risk cannot be taken without thoroughly analyzing all the scenario that that may develop as aftermath. For analysis, you need to understand cause and effect relationship.

It is this which makes me feel that IAF and SU had idea of what they were doing although may not be cent percent clear, but still clear.

- Nitin
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

Precisely because it was such a big "leap of faith" is why a lot of credit must go to the political decision-making here. The IAF, given the kind of discussions that we have seena nd heard on the MKI after induction (pilot v/s WSO, Project Vetrivale, maritime role etc etc) had a very "broad brush" idea itself of the potential of the platform. PVNR deserves kudos for understanding the merits of the deal and going through with it - obviously a game changing one now it seems.

OT here, but PVNR was the best PM we had after Nehru's first 10 years, at least in terms of his impact on the state (economic liberalisation, Look East foreign policy, even the nuclear weaponisation policy) - he doesnt get the credit in popular discourse..
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

somnath wrote: ............... had after Nehru's first 10 years, ..................
This is ridiculous.

I am checking myself so as not to derail this thread and I hope adminullahs will look into.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/17/stories ... 861200.htm

Nice tidbits from above:

- Su-30 MKI sqdn to be raised at Thanjavur!
- Runway extension funds to be released this financial year
( I have gone past Thanjavur AFB and from the outside and you see only a few buildings. But a different perspective gives a completely new view. Hint: Start from Pudukottai)

- Sulur AFB runway getting ready.

- Radars in Southern India beefed up since 26/11
Last edited by Neela on 20 Feb 2009 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

How much composites was achieved on the SU-30MKI?

Thanks, ramana
IIRC, the 6% figure was being touted. Dunno if its by weight/surface area. My guess is that achieving this would be well within capabilities and perhaps is already done. The MiG-29K for example incorporates 15%.

CM.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

6% by weight may sound like "extensive" composite use.. else the wikipedia needs update.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

something that solves our permutations and combinations.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpo ... tcount=535
Sukhoi and Irkut
The major portion of export work conducted by the Russian aircraft industry in 2008 was related to the contracts for Su-30 family multi-role fighters from Algeria, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Venezuela. Unlike in previous years, information about last year's export deliveries has not yet been made public, so all the figures below are preliminary.
India most probably received the largest number of Russian fighters in 2008. It can be safely assumed that New Delhi took delivery of the last two Su-30MKI fighters under a deal signed in April 2007. That contract envisaged the sale of 18 such aircraft to replace the same number of Su-30K warplanes delivered to the Indian Air Force in 1997 and 1999. The first 16-ship batch was handed over to India in 2007. In addition, India last year was expected to receive at least four aircraft under the November 2007 contract for 40 Su-30MKI fighters and knock-down kits, in addition to the 140 kits contracted in 2000. According to estimates, India took delivery of at least six Su-30MKI fighters in 2008 under the terms of the current contracts. It is also possible that 10 to 12 Su-30MKI kits were supplied to Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd for subsequent assembly at its Indian facilities.

Su-30MK exports in 2008
Country Type Deliveries
Minimum Maximum
India Su-30MKI 6 6
India Su-30MKI (kits) 10 12
Malaysia Su-30MKM 6 8
Algeria Su-30MKI (A) 8 10
Venezuela Su-30MK2(V) 8 8
Indonesia Su-30MK2 2 2
Total 30, plus 10 kits 34, plus 12 kits
this means that the replacements of the 18 k have been delivered. :)
The company also signed a $964-million contract to modernize 64 Indian Air Force MiG-29B fighters to the MiG-29SMT configuration.
In separate development, Russia last February delivered the first Ilyushin Il-76EI aircraft to Israel for installation of the Elta Phalcon airborne early warning system. This work was completed during 2008, after which the aircraft was handed over to the Indian Air Force late last year. It arrived at an Indian Air Force station in Goa in January 2009.
Another notable accomplishment last year became the signing of the largest contract in the history of Russian helicopter manufacturers. Under the $1.2 billion deal, Mil undertook to deliver 80 Mi-17V-5 helicopters to India.
Sajith_J
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sajith_J »

Hi, can someone tell me how good the ground attack capabilities of Mki are compared to Mig 27, or Jaguar? I mean it has way more payload then any other ground attack fighter in our fleet, is faster, has more range and a higher service ceiling, so is it as good as them, or maybe better?
And what role will it take if Pak Fa comes in 2018 / 20? Both will be in service together for at least 10 years. But both for air superiority wouldn't make sence right? One is stealth, the other has a big RCS.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Sajith_J wrote:Hi, can someone tell me how good the ground attack capabilities of Mki are compared to Mig 27, or Jaguar? I mean it has way more payload then any other ground attack fighter in our fleet, is faster, has more range and a higher service ceiling, so is it as good as them, or maybe better?
And what role will it take if Pak Fa comes in 2018 / 20? Both will be in service together for at least 10 years. But both for air superiority wouldn't make sence right? One is stealth, the other has a big RCS.
Sajith I highly reccomend you to read the respective pages for those jets on BR from which you will be able to get a very good idea of what is better...also for further info you can use google or wiki.

yes the MKI and the Pak Fa will be in service together however the PAK Fa will be going in first in order to sanitize and MKI will follow it up. See the MKI is very much like a strike eagle F15E its able to go in and hit targets and also defend itself against any air to air threats. Thus once the air space is reasonably clear (and I say reasonably bcoz compared to unkil's F-22 fighthing erstwhile old a$$ mig-21s, mig29s, and other slightly older jets and claiming supremacy the IAF will be facing the PLAAF and PAF both armed with reasonably modern fighters) the MKI will be going in to hit high value ground targets and help further sanitize airspace.

JMT.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Sajith_J wrote:Hi, can someone tell me how good the ground attack capabilities of Mki are compared to Mig 27, or Jaguar?
I asked a simillar qn in newbie thread. I basically asked " In what way is MKI inferior to modern strike jets (lets say F-18 an Rafale) when considering its strike capabilities? ". I ask this bcoz I saw a lot of comments in MRCA tread stating that MKI( and Mig-35 for that matter) is primarily an air superiority fighter and not a good strike fighter. I agree on the first statement but do not understand the rationale behind the second. So what if Su-30 was made primarily as an air superiority a/c? MKI is quite diff from Su-30 and has an excellent range, payload and armament. So what else is needed to be qualified as a good strike fighter? I got a few replies on the newbie thread but none to my full satisfaction. I would really like if you could give me MKI'S disadvantages ( if any exist ) as compared to F-18 and rafale.
PS: I mentioned rafale coz many threads held it in high regard for its strike capability.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Parijat Gaur wrote:
Sajith_J wrote:Hi, can someone tell me how good the ground attack capabilities of Mki are compared to Mig 27, or Jaguar?
I asked a simillar qn in newbie thread. I basically asked " In what way is MKI inferior to modern strike jets (lets say F-18 an Rafale) when considering its strike capabilities? ". I ask this bcoz I saw a lot of comments in MRCA tread stating that MKI( and Mig-35 for that matter) is primarily an air superiority fighter and not a good strike fighter. I agree on the first statement but do not understand the rationale behind the second. So what if Su-30 was made primarily as an air superiority a/c? MKI is quite diff from Su-30 and has an excellent range, payload and armament. So what else is needed to be qualified as a good strike fighter? I got a few replies on the newbie thread but none to my full satisfaction. I would really like if you could give me MKI'S disadvantages ( if any exist ) as compared to F-18 and rafale.
PS: I mentioned rafale coz many threads held it in high regard for its strike capability.
Why dont you research the above question yourself and tell us....spoon feeding is not encouraged here my friend. The answer is out there all you gotta do is to look for it in the right way.... :wink:
panky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by panky »

In separate development, Russia last February delivered the first Ilyushin Il-76EI aircraft to Israel for installation of the Elta Phalcon airborne early warning system. This work was completed during 2008, after which the aircraft was handed over to the Indian Air Force late last year. It arrived at an Indian Air Force station in Goa in January 2009.
There is no airforce station in Goa. The Dabolim airport in Goa is owned by Navy and Navy operates its sea harriers and other aircrafts. And the Il-76 with Phalcon is supposed to be based from Agra.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

andy B wrote:
Parijat Gaur wrote: I asked a simillar qn in newbie thread. I basically asked " In what way is MKI inferior to modern strike jets (lets say F-18 an Rafale) when considering its strike capabilities? ". I ask this bcoz I saw a lot of comments in MRCA tread stating that MKI( and Mig-35 for that matter) is primarily an air superiority fighter and not a good strike fighter. I agree on the first statement but do not understand the rationale behind the second. So what if Su-30 was made primarily as an air superiority a/c? MKI is quite diff from Su-30 and has an excellent range, payload and armament. So what else is needed to be qualified as a good strike fighter? I got a few replies on the newbie thread but none to my full satisfaction. I would really like if you could give me MKI'S disadvantages ( if any exist ) as compared to F-18 and rafale.
Why dont you research the above question yourself and tell us....spoon feeding is not encouraged here my friend. The answer is out there all you gotta do is to look for it in the right way.... :wink:
And I am certainly not asking for spoon feeding. I have indeed researched on this topic and have personally felt that criticism of MKI's ground attack ability are baseless. There are basically 2 arguments given against MKI's ground fighting ability:
1. Su-30 was made for air superiority.
If you will read my thread, you will know my argument against it.
2. Su-30 can use only russian weaponry.
But as RahulM commented in the newbie thread, Russians have a counterpart to every western a2g weapon and MKI can use any one of them should we chose to do so.
So as you can see, I myself firmly believe MKI to be a very good strike fighter with incredible dog fighting capability. But I am but an amateur and may very well be wrong. So my basic reason for posting the thread was to ask the experts to educate me with valid reasons if they felt I was wrong.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

^^^ As I mentioned earlier the MKI has also been seen frequently with the Litening pod thus there is a high probability it might get mated with the israeli lgb kits and also the upcoming sudarshan lgb.
Considering the MKI's avionics I am sure it has the potential to accept some non-russian AG weapons as well. It all just depends on what the IAF needs, what is financially viable and effective.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ yep, mentioned that too. MC i.e the brain of mki is desi and open architecture, we should be able to integrate anything on it if needed.
ajay_ijn
BRFite

Post by ajay_ijn »

Rahul M wrote:something that solves our permutations and combinations.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpo ... tcount=535
Sukhoi and Irkut
The major portion of export work conducted by the Russian aircraft industry in 2008 was related to the contracts for Su-30 family multi-role fighters from Algeria, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Venezuela. Unlike in previous years, information about last year's export deliveries has not yet been made public, so all the figures below are preliminary.
India most probably received the largest number of Russian fighters in 2008. It can be safely assumed that New Delhi took delivery of the last two Su-30MKI fighters under a deal signed in April 2007. That contract envisaged the sale of 18 such aircraft to replace the same number of Su-30K warplanes delivered to the Indian Air Force in 1997 and 1999. The first 16-ship batch was handed over to India in 2007. In addition, India last year was expected to receive at least four aircraft under the November 2007 contract for 40 Su-30MKI fighters and knock-down kits, in addition to the 140 kits contracted in 2000. According to estimates, India took delivery of at least six Su-30MKI fighters in 2008 under the terms of the current contracts. It is also possible that 10 to 12 Su-30MKI kits were supplied to Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd for subsequent assembly at its Indian facilities.

Su-30MK exports in 2008
Country Type Deliveries
Minimum Maximum
India Su-30MKI 6 6
India Su-30MKI (kits) 10 12
Malaysia Su-30MKM 6 8
Algeria Su-30MKI (A) 8 10
Venezuela Su-30MK2(V) 8 8
Indonesia Su-30MK2 2 2
Total 30, plus 10 kits 34, plus 12 kits
this means that the replacements of the 18 k have been delivered. :)
The company also signed a $964-million contract to modernize 64 Indian Air Force MiG-29B fighters to the MiG-29SMT configuration.
Another notable accomplishment last year became the signing of the largest contract in the history of Russian helicopter manufacturers. Under the $1.2 billion deal, Mil undertook to deliver 80 Mi-17V-5 helicopters to India.
what could have been the specific reason for IAF to order 40 more flankers. i mean were they worried about Mig-23s being retired or was it something else. is it possible that IAF might order more or main reason for not placing another big order is coz of maintainence issues.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

three reasons for no additional orders, in order of imoprtance

a)running and maintenance cost. it costs a lot to keep a big bird like the mki in the air

b)pilots. IAF too is having a serious pilot shortage. it can't afford to have the bulk of its fleet twin seaters

c)production rate/acquisition cost. a bit complicated scenario.
>> if we order more from HAL and keep production rate same production would run into 2017-18 by which time it would be only 10-15 years before the mki stops being state-of-the-art.
>> if we increase production rate @ HAL to prevent that, unit cost increases dramatically, provided HAL is even able to do it.
>> if we buy more from abroad then also the unit cost would be much higher. by then, it won't make sense to get the same a/c from russi as is available from HAL at 30-40% higher price.