Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Shameek
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Shameek »

@ Sajith_J: Like k prasad mentioned, the Rafale can probably be used for unassisted take-offs using a ski-jump. However I have not read of any such tests. But as far as current operations go on the Foch carrier, it uses a catapult assisted take-off alongwith a 1.5 degree ski-jump.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

here is an email from a friend
Can anyone help?
Shiv,

I have a favour to ask of you.

There have been many examples of Pakistani soldiers or aviators being recommended for gallantry awards by India. Unfortunately, I have not collected these examples so far. For an article I want to contribute to a marine journal, I want to gather these; it makes a telling point, because to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a single example of the Pakistanis making such a recommendation.

Would experts in Bharat-Rakshak be able to help?
Sajith_J
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sajith_J »

k prasad wrote: Rafale can potentially be adapted for ski-ramp operations (from my talk with the guys at AI), but that would need to be investigated - shouldn't be much of an issue though. There will definitely be some loss in load carrying ability, but otherwise, it would probably be possible to do. The guy I spoke to at the stall said "No problem, but we see".
That was my intention, to investigate what the requierments are. At the moment I also think that it won't be a problem, if the thrust is enough. The rest should be similar to Mig 29K and a loss of payload for Rafale might still be a improvement, cause with 9500kg normal payload it has way more then a normal Mig.
Also I found out that Britain considered developing a STOBAR version of EF2k for their new carrier. But because EF wasn't designed as a naval fighter, there has to be many changes on the airframe and front gear, so it would be costly. After US offered F35 they quit EF because of the advantages of a 5. gen fighter and also went to their old carrier design with ski-jump.
So if it’s possible by redesigning EF, it should be really no problem with Rafale M.
shameekg wrote:@ Sajith_J: Like k prasad mentioned, the Rafale can probably be used for unassisted take-offs using a ski-jump. However I have not read of any such tests. But as far as current operations go on the Foch carrier, it uses a catapult assisted take-off alongwith a 1.5 degree ski-jump.
The Rafale also did some test on the Foch with that ski-jump (I think it’s more a small ramp), but they are not using it on CdG carrier and as far as I know it’s still not decided what they will have on their next carrier.

http://www.infomar.110mb.com/imagens/Ra ... hFicha.jpg
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »

The french navy has got access to siignificant portion of the aircraft carrier designs of the new uk series of carriers .... Also I heard the next french carriers will be significantly similar to the new age british designs.
Sajith_J
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sajith_J »

Drevin wrote:The french navy has got access to siignificant portion of the aircraft carrier designs of the new uk series of carriers .... Also I heard the next french carriers will be significantly similar to the new age british designs.
Below deck they might be similar, but above they will be different! The british will be a STOVL carrier with a ski-jump, the French might be a CATOBAR carrier with catapult start and an angled deck for arrested landings. But because the price of that carrier is rising it's not sure if France will build it. Maybe we can sell them our Vikrant class design, should be no problem to design it a bit bigger and include a catapult instead of ski-jump. :)
SivaVijay
BRFite

Post by SivaVijay »

Hi

I am new here as well to matters concerning the Armed Forces. My ques is is there any plan in the pipeline by GOI or DRDO for civilian protection(especially for those in the cities) in case of a nuclear war. Noting tht we are not pre emptive this is more of a worrisome gap n our prepardness.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

SivaVijay wrote:Hi

I am new here as well to matters concerning the Armed Forces. My ques is is there any plan in the pipeline by GOI or DRDO for civilian protection(especially for those in the cities) in case of a nuclear war. Noting tht we are not pre emptive this is more of a worrisome gap n our prepardness.
India has developed missile defence systems. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Bal ... se_Program
For more info, read ABM/Missile Defense thread. http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=3&t=1238
SivaVijay
BRFite

Post by SivaVijay »

I am aware of the BMD systems. But they still have to go some distance in being perfected. Developing nuclear shelters is a more feasible and dependable ption in the short to medium term. Also any BMD system has a saturation limit so shudn't we prepare for the worse. In west there are evacuation plans that use their underground metro systems for this purpose to provide shelter for the masses. Isnt it high time we start planning on these lines.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Developing nuclear shelters is a more feasible and dependable ption in the short to medium term.
not at all. the cost benefit ratio doesn't even merit a second look.

it might have 'appeared' to have made sense in the crazy 50's but now we can say with some certainty that other than for a few critical resources, it is not feasible in any way.

if nothing else, think of the total population, population density and the possible costs. just the last factor alone can make us lose the war(not battle, war) by itself.

at most we can think of some contingency training like evacuation, emergency services drills etc.
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »

Below deck they might be similar, but above they will be different! The british will be a STOVL carrier with a ski-jump, the French might be a CATOBAR carrier with catapult start and an angled deck for arrested landings. But because the price of that carrier is rising it's not sure if France will build it. Maybe we can sell them our Vikrant class design, should be no problem to design it a bit bigger and include a catapult instead of ski-jump.
I was refering to tonnage, structure, weapons etc. which is of far more interest than the type of planes. :mrgreen: But yes (agree with u) if steam catapults are needed the "propulsion" systems between the two(UK-French) carriers will be very different. Maybe the french one replaces a few gas turbines with a miniature nuclr reactor. :wink: RN has clearly stated its aircraft carriers will be conventional i.e. won't have nuclr propulsion.
Last edited by Drevin on 09 Apr 2009 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

In the special forces thread, "sg" (special group?) are mentioned several times. I am not able to find any mention of them at any place. Can anybody help?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

check BR page on SFF.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^Thanks. :)
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

Question for Webmasters:

1) On BRF server hardware, is there a tool to check how many times the IP addresses of the members's computers are compromised in the last 3 years? (I heard the number of attempts are 400+ and number of successes have been 23.)

2) Please take this Q seriously as an abdul on PIGDEF. INFO has been bragging to me that the entire database is "taken". (likely the chinese hackers selling the info to pakis).

3) The implication is: If a member whose IP address is compromised and is visiting chinese website and also he / she travel to china, and log on to wireless network in a chinese hotel (for example) he / she can unwitingly get in trouble.

Unrelated Observations just for members enjoyment:

I heard that one of BRF member is actually a senior member on the PIGDEF.INFO. I wish I can get there soon (seniority level) because there are some chaps with inside info on whats going on deep inside paki-land. Its more fun to become a paki imposter and provoke something outrageous there and measure the impulse response (to dirac delta function) going completely astable. (just for entertainment).

On PIGDEF.INFO they seem to be thinking that sri lanka (buddhists) are defeating LTTE (Hindus) thus ISI was able to help sri lanka defeat hindus thus exacting a "big revenge". I did not know PIGDEF.INFO members are so stupid.

Also on PIGDEF.INFO they seem to be very paranoid about RAW having something to do with every bad happening in pakistan. Its too funny.

Some chaps on PIGDEF.INFO type and make similar assertions about their SF and their equipment etc as some of our members, that is another reason to bring our standard a bit higher on BRF.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

kobe wrote:
Some chaps on PIGDEF.INFO type and make similar assertions about their SF and their equipment etc as some of our members, that is another reason to bring our standard a bit higher on BRF.
One simple method is to stop comparing. I wish you well on Pakistani fora. just dont bring any stuff from there on here. We don't want to know.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

kobe wrote: The implication is: If a member whose IP address is compromised and is visiting chinese website and also he / she travel to china, and log on to wireless network in a chinese hotel (for example) he / she can unwitingly get in trouble.
IP address identifies the network adapter to the network and not your laptop to Internet. Above statement has no meaning. Try this link http://www.ip-adress.com/ and see what you get. Go to China, log on to any wireless you wish and then use the same link. Tell me if you get the same results both times.

The proxy that I am using for accessing Bharat Rakshak is located in US and I am in India. Most of us using ISP services don't have any real IP addresses but virtual ones and the IP addresses logged in BR are ISPs IP addressess and not yours.

You can safely take your laptop to China, log on to the wireless network and you'll be safe.

Cheers....
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

The Indonesian refused to accept the free Qatari Mirages. Should India not make a bid for it again. IIRC in 2006/7 they'd been quoting a high price for the mirages. but now that 3 years have passed w/o sale, the Qataris could be convinced to sell them at a lower cost

With the attrition of 6-7 Mirages they are greatly needed IMO. Considering that MoD return hundreds of crores every year, funding too should not be an issue

jmt
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

neerajb wrote: The proxy that I am using for accessing Bharat Rakshak is located in US and I am in India. Most of us using ISP services don't have any real IP addresses but virtual ones and the IP addresses logged in BR are ISPs IP addressess and not yours.
Why do u have to use a proxy to access BR within India?
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Poor it-vity saar :wink: . Even to access internet, has to go through US.

Cheers....
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

^ explain. You can safely assume I am an Idiot.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

This should probably go to humor thread. We all know that Porkis had been accusing India for blasts in Porkistan. On what basis you ask? Read this
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Circ ... 387116.cms
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

ticky wrote:^ explain. You can safely assume I am an Idiot.
I am using a LAN whose web server is in US of A.

Cheers....
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

The Garuds used to wear black berets. However, at Aero India 2009, they were seen wearing maroon berets.
From when have the Garuds been wearing Maroon berets?
Prabu
BRFite

Post by Prabu »

US Congress okays $2.1bn sale of hi-tech spy planes

Admins, move this post, if any other thread is more appropriate.
Nandan D
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nandan D »

A question unrelated to those above.
Do any of the IN warships carry reloads for their torpedoes?
If so, what is the typical number?

Specifically the Abhay (Pauk) class, Talwar and the Delhi?
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

a forum mod kindly contact me at places223 at gmail
thx
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

You've got mail, kobe.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

JaiS wrote:You've got mail, kobe.
thanks, reply sent
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

IIRC, this is to standardize the maroon beret as a sign of SF, be it from AF or Army.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

sum wrote:
IIRC, this is to standardize the maroon beret as a sign of SF, be it from AF or Army.
Check the Aero India thread... I spoke to a Garud abt this... apparently, they thought the Black beret was too 'normal', and wanted proper SF tag.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Whats the normal altitude for an UAV's flight. One UAV is flying circles around my place (at night) and the thing is very noisy. I think it's a Heron. Atleast looked like one when I managed to spot one some time ago.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

highy technical question for the space & missile experts:
if a hellfire missile kills a terrorist does his soul still go to heaven? :shock:
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

kobe wrote:highy technical question for the space & missile experts:
if a hellfire missile kills a terrorist does his soul still go to heaven? :shock:
Err..... should'nt this question be posed to LMU Jirga?? :-?
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

Does anyone know what is the status on the ATV? I cant seem to find the thread on it.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

There is no thread on it as such...

If even a peek of news on the ATV comes out, the Naval discussion thread will be filled by views on the ATV...IIRC, the ATV sea trials were delayed to the end of this year from the earlier start of this year plan...
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

kobe wrote:highy technical question for the space & missile experts:
Only if he has been regularly keeping up with this nightly mijjile maalish/paalish routine :lol:
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

sum wrote:There is no thread on it as such...

If even a peek of news on the ATV comes out, the Naval discussion thread will be filled by views on the ATV...IIRC, the ATV sea trials were delayed to the end of this year from the earlier start of this year plan...
Saar,
Is it true regarding delayed to year end from any official source :?:
Ohh
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Doubt that ATV itself is official so hard to expect any official news on it :wink:

IIRC, India today's Sandeep had reported the delay some time back...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Paging Nayakuddin..

Have you scanned the Vayu article on the Swedish Aircraft industry? It's a must read for Jingo gyan
rpraveenkum
BRFite -Trainee

Mirv (Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle)

Post by rpraveenkum »

any of the Indian missile have MIRV technology? please explain & also

Indian missile defence system capable of encounter the MIRV in the enemy missile please explain