Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
atreya
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by atreya »

Parijat Gaur wrote:^^ Yes, that certainly looks like AK-74U.
That looks like an AK 74U to me also. However, another possibility is MINSAS. Though i didn't know that it was in circulation.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ No, it is definitely not MINSAS. It is AK-74U.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Asked around a wee bit...it seems that AKS-74U has been in use by MARCOS mainly for close quarters work. Apparently it suffers from lower range than its long barrelled counterpart.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ AK-74U does not "SUFFER" from short range. Its a carbine. Carbines are supposed to have shorter range than their assault rifle counterparts.
But this is getting OT. If this subject warrants further discussion, please continue in small arms thread. :)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Not my words, but words from a professional himself. Who am I to argue with that?! :mrgreen: Basically what he said is, it is very much in use and is used for CQB and is good for manouvering and getting a bead on the bad guys in confined spaces but does not replace the regular AKs in use due to suffering from shorter range (I doubt it was the plan anyhow, he probably just wanted to clarify where its used onlee). What is interesting is all public pics of MARCOS have them using MP5 for CQB onlee. Anyhow no more OT from me on this topic - sorry for the paki diversion! :wink:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

lets stop the nonsense - have seen the IT articles and there is no such crap there

Also as Jagan says - check the AJ db
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

I've kept a photocopy archive of the IPKF campaign in Sri Lanka largely from India Today and perused the entire archive of the magazine during the IPKF period along with cross-referencing other magazines - both Indian and Western - during the period and have found no reference of any kind to such an attack causing such staggering casualties.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Sanjay, it is probably too much to ask, but is there a way some of the choice photocopied articles can be made available by you as scans? I had asked India Today folks re. getting back issues but after a few back and forth emails they dropped the ball.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

I would really have no objection. The quality of the prints is a major issue as is the fact that I went and bound the things. If I can I will. I can certainly scan a few of them. But can't do it anytime soon.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^ No hurry, take your time. Thanks!
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Note the position of finger..thumb is placed between the handles
Last edited by dinesha on 25 May 2009 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

MP5 9mm submachine gun "briefcase" models (Unrelated)

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Errr, noob question but isnt holding the actual gun easier and simpler than putting it inside a suitcase?

What advantage does it offer other than concealing the weapon?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Jagan check your warbirdsofindia mail
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Thats an MP5K not the regular MP5.
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

The SPG briefcase doesn't look like it contains a gun. It is too slim. It looks more like a folding ballistic shield like this one http://www.patriot3online.com/mm3.html
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

More pics of the IAF marked Phalcon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eggshelluk ... nairforce/

Kakarat.

got your email - thanks! will reply bck soon

Jagan
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

SPG carring the Suitcase Gun..
And why would SPG want to conceal their weapon?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Baljeet wrote:I will have to search it again, but there was an incidence 300 soldiers were killed by LTTE while they were having dinner at their mess. IPKF at that time was using SLR while LTTE was equipped with AK47. There was no contest. One of the lessons learned after that debacle was to equip COIN forces with AK47's. As a result things changed in Eastern India COIN ops.
It's very difficult to kill that many armed soldiers at one time by just using guns :eek: ... unless they had no armed guards/sentry at the base and all were sitting there unarmed and LTTE just rounded them up. Or the LTTE used a ton of grenades or other explosives in a very crowed mess to cause maximum casualties.

It's more believable if the number was 30 instead of 300.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

its not a suitcase gun. they dont have to conceal their guns in suitcases.
it is not a usual briefcase at all. it is folding blanket kind of VIP Ballistic briefcase i.e. bulletproof shield. when the lead starts flying then they cover the VIP with that.
Last edited by vdutta on 25 May 2009 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

here is one such VIP Briefcase

http://www.allproducts.com/security/for ... fcase.html

and here is one real life use of this VIP ballastic briefcase

JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ian-ssc/3578123075

Hawker Tempest 2: Although painted in RAF colours, this aircraft is actually HA457 of the Indian Air Force.

RAF Museum, Hendon, 25-May-2009.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

its not a suitcase gun. they dont have to conceal their guns in suitcases.
it is not a usual briefcase at all. it is folding blanket kind of VIP Ballistic briefcase i.e. bulletproof shield. when the lead starts flying then they cover the VIP with that.

Interesting point. i have also once seen a Kevlar Blanket at an NSG Demo.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

deleted
Last edited by shiv on 02 Jun 2009 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

those posts moved to International Military thread
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Indian soldiers are seen at the entrance of a railway station in Jalandhar, in northern India's Punjab state, on May 26, 2009. Towns and cities across the northern Indian state of Punjab were under strict curfew May 26 after riots sparked by the shooting of a guru in a clash between rival Sikh communities in Austria. Army and police patrols enforced orders that shops, offices and schools would remain closed following the violence in which angry mobs torched trains, smashed bus windows and blocked roads. AFP PHOTO/ Manpreet ROMANA (Photo credit should read MANPREET ROMANA/AFP/Getty Images)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Damn, can see three different sets of camo in one pic...
When will we standardize across the entire mammoth IA if a single unit is using different camos?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

sum wrote:Damn, can see three different sets of camo in one pic...
When will we standardize across the entire mammoth IA if a single unit is using different camos?
I know. I had even raised this doubt in the Newbie thread 3-4 months ago. Its surprising, that the camo pattern isn't standardised even now. Isn't it taking a bit too long? I know, our army is VERY big, it takes time. But still..... :shock:
ssmitra
BRFite

Post by ssmitra »

atreya wrote:
I know. I had even raised this doubt in the Newbie thread 3-4 months ago. Its surprising, that the camo pattern isn't standardised even now. Isn't it taking a bit too long? I know, our army is VERY big, it takes time. But still..... :shock:

may be its to confuse the enemy into thinking he is fighting more than one country... :lol:
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

nice one ssmitra :rotfl:
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

JaiS wrote:Some interesting stamps from Shrikant Parikh's blog, View the blog for more.
Latest post.

Indian Air Force - Golden Jubilee - 08.10.1992
Govind
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Govind »

Has this pic of a hawk over bidar fort been posted before?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/18779497
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

Govind wrote:Has this pic of a hawk over bidar fort been posted before?

it looks like photoshop job,its not in IAF colors and the AC seems flying too low.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

narayana wrote:
Govind wrote:Has this pic of a hawk over bidar fort been posted before?

it looks like photoshop job,its not in IAF colors and the AC seems flying too low.
boss... its not PS, it doesn't have to be in IAF colors and its flying quite high if you ask me :?: :eek: :?: :shock:
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Take a look at the date. That picture was taken in Feb 2005, which was when AI 2005 happened.

You can also see the picture of that Hawk here
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

atreya wrote:

Frankly speaking, does it really matter what pattern camo the troops wear? All I care is that these same soldiers wearing the same (different) pattern camos whooped paki a$$ in kargil and in counter insurgency in j & k :twisted:
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

^^ Yes the Type of DPMs matter. Its not just a costume you put on to look cool. There is also a reason countries spend alot of money on R&D on better camo. It is about increasing the effectivness of a soldier as a fighting system.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

rkhanna wrote:^^ Yes the Type of DPMs matter. Its not just a costume you put on to look cool. There is also a reason countries spend alot of money on R&D on better camo. It is about increasing the effectivness of a soldier as a fighting system.
^^ I don't mean to sound offensive but I just wonder how? Digital camos for say, deserts. what goes in punjab or arunachal in that case? how about the L of C, or the AGPL and most importantly, in villages in kashmir or ne where a majority of CI engagements take place - Perhaps different patterns over there?

And what about the logistics for the same - does the ordnance corps issue these to the jawans, or do they procure these off the open market, as they do now for most part? Of course, any new pattern of camouflage uniform means crores worth of new contracts going out to the suppliers and the avenues open to the rotten eggs are surely lucrative. How about changing the pattern of the new pattern packs that are being issued to the forces? Surely something worn on top of the new, improve camos also has to confirm to the pattern or else it becomes just as bad (or good) as the old ones?

My take is that it has been working just fine till now and the guys are doing just fine. Surely such energies as being spent in discussing this (non) issue can be diverted to other more pressing matters such as sorting out the issue of the INSAS Carbine or the INSAS UBGL to increase the effectiveness of the soldiers. JMTs
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

kancha wrote:
rkhanna wrote:^^ Yes the Type of DPMs matter. Its not just a costume you put on to look cool. There is also a reason countries spend alot of money on R&D on better camo. It is about increasing the effectivness of a soldier as a fighting system.
^^ I don't mean to sound offensive but I just wonder how? Digital camos for say, deserts. what goes in punjab or arunachal in that case? how about the L of C, or the AGPL and most importantly, in villages in kashmir or ne where a majority of CI engagements take place - Perhaps different patterns over there?

And what about the logistics for the same - does the ordnance corps issue these to the jawans, or do they procure these off the open market, as they do now for most part? Of course, any new pattern of camouflage uniform means crores worth of new contracts going out to the suppliers and the avenues open to the rotten eggs are surely lucrative. How about changing the pattern of the new pattern packs that are being issued to the forces? Surely something worn on top of the new, improve camos also has to confirm to the pattern or else it becomes just as bad (or good) as the old ones?

My take is that it has been working just fine till now and the guys are doing just fine. Surely such energies as being spent in discussing this (non) issue can be diverted to other more pressing matters such as sorting out the issue of the INSAS Carbine or the INSAS UBGL to increase the effectiveness of the soldiers. JMTs
The camo cloth for the services is procured by the OFB's which is also responsible for the tailoring. This is then distributed to the soldiers.
No Jawans procure the clothes from the open market.
If Camo patterns did not matter, we would not have used them. Camouflage makes it difficult (not impossible) for an enemy to spot the soldier in conflict. Camouflage is mainly used to BREAK THE OUTLINE of the soldier/vehicle.
If you have seen a group of soldiers in camo walking, from a distance it is difficult to make out how many of them are there. A difficult to spot soldier is more effective...even with a pistol...

BTW we are WOT here...better move this dicussion to the app thread before adminullah's come with Kalamushaks and Kalashnikboards to whip our posteriors!