Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kashyap
BRFite

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Kashyap »

China says committed to Lanka's economic development
Press Trust Of India

Colombo, June 12, 2010

Expressing its commitment to Sri Lanka's economic development, China today assured the country of all assistance in key infrastructure and socio-cultural projects in the post-LTTE era.

This was conveyed by visiting Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Dejiang to President Mahinda Rajapaksa during a breakfast meeting between them.

The Chinese Vice Premier discussed the progress in key aspects of economic cooperation between Sri Lanka and China, including the work on the Colombo–Katunayake Expressway, extension of the railway from Matara to Kataragama and Norochcholai Coal Power Project in the North Western Province.

The construction work on these projects was proceeding with a good speed to achieve agreed targets, an official statement said.

"China reiterated its commitment to the economic development of Sri Lanka, with its investment and association with the major economic, infrastructure and socio-cultural development projects in the country," the statement said.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/China-say ... 56651.aspx
ajit_tr
BRFite

Post by ajit_tr »

Kashyap wrote:
Tanaji wrote:Interesting view point eh? Get massive Indian aid before and after, spill Indian blood , use Indian Navy's help to secure one's objectives and at the end of it all, curse India and make snide comments about Tamils movie obsession.

One doesn't expect gratitude but...

Jis thaali mein khaate hain usi thaali mein chhed karte hain... INGRATE!
Perhaps India should be grateful that SL got rid of Rajiv Gandhi's killer? Just another way of looking at things.
Yes.You are absolutely right.India must be thankful to its neighbors srilanka,mayanmar,bahgladesh,pakistan fighting on behalf of india to eliminate terror groups who are/were threats to indian interests on their soil. Even pakistan is fighting hard against taliban just to protect india from islamist's threat.But indian leadership was always had hegemonic intention towards its all smaller neighbours inspite of these negihbours sacrificing and helping india remain peaceful to achieve economic growth otherwise india would have become another somalia or afghanistan.India is such an ungrateful country.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

You really think Sri Lanka is going to be a "pak like neighbour"? I mean seriously?
Your statements so far seem to suggest this:
Perhaps its time to look in the mirror and see how India treats its minorities... last I heard there was a pogrom against Christians and discriminatory anti-conversion laws enacted in several states by right-wing Hindu groups.
Typical Paki statements, conveniently ignoring its own treatment of its minorities
And please see the above links in the post above... Sri Lanka is playing the China card quite well, don't you worry about that
As like Pakis, threatening to "play the China card" and running off to China at the slightest imagined insult to H&D
So should I assume that Tamil Hindus aren't following their religion? Tamils are the only non-Muslim group on the subcontinent to give Islamists a run for their money when it comes to human bombs. And I have yet to see a more backward group of political leaders than the current ones of Tamil Nadu. But perhaps this is what happens when movie stars are voted into power
Typical Paki attitude of "Hindu kufr with 100000000000000 idols". "We are better onlee... we dont elect movie stars". When the issue is neither here nor there.

China has taken the time and effort to support Sri Lanka militarily, politically and economically. Well why doesn't India do that then and take away the space from the Chinese?
Another classic Paki trait: lookee here, I have a gun to my head. Give me more money or else I go to China and create more trouble for you conveniently ignoring the past and aid promised even now. If demands are not met, go off fulminating on how evil India is, even when conveniently getting Indian support.

Thats why I said, INGRATE!
Duangkomon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Duangkomon »

Kashyap wrote:Sri Lanka will use the China and Pakistan card to maximum benefit, whether you like it or not. You can yowl all you want 8)
Looks like this lankan can't wait for Sri lanka to become the used condoms for Chinis and Pakis. His excitement is palpable. Expected behavior though when faced with a future of insignificance in front of a powerful India. Only way to stay relevant is to have some nuisance value like their role models, the pakis.
The irony will be lost on them when in their quest to spite India they end up selling their sovirginity to Chinis by becoming their military outpost. That will be a game changer. Till then they can bend over to all and sundry and scream coochi coo to their hearts content while pretending it is hurting India more.
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Yes.You are absolutely right.India must be thankful to its neighbors srilanka,mayanmar,bahgladesh,pakistan fighting on behalf of india to eliminate terror groups who are/were threats to indian interests on their soil. Even pakistan is fighting hard against taliban just to protect india from islamist's threat.But indian leadership was always had hegemonic intention towards its all smaller neighbours inspite of these negihbours sacrificing and helping india remain peaceful to achieve economic growth otherwise india would have become another somalia or afghanistan.India is such an ungrateful country.
I think you are projecting Pakistan onto everyone else.

In Sri Lanka it was India that armed, trained and funded insurgent groups.

One of the groups that India armed, trained and funded - the LTTE - ended up aiding insurgent groups in India, including the maoists, if news reports are to be believed.
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Looks like this lankan can't wait for Sri lanka to become the used condoms for Chinis and Pakis. His excitement is palpable. Expected behavior though when faced with a future of insignificance in front of a powerful India. Only way to stay relevant is to have some nuisance value like their role models, the pakis.

The irony will be lost on them when in their quest to spite India they end up selling their sovirginity to Chinis by becoming their military outpost. That will be a game changer. Till then they can bend over to all and sundry and scream coochi coo to their hearts content while pretending it is hurting India more.
Your threats are very scary and your doomsday scenarious are very interesting. But the comment about yowling was in response to someone who used that every expression.

And yes Sri Lanka should welcome every bit of $$ the Chinese are willing to part with, that would be in Sri Lanka's interests.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Duangkomon wrote:
Exactly, thats what I mean by typical Paki traits that KashyaP is exhibiting. Pakis are used condoms for the US and China, KashyaP wants SL to be a used condom for China and Pak. Thankfully, he is not deciding SL policy..
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Tanaji wrote:
You really think Sri Lanka is going to be a "pak like neighbour"? I mean seriously?
Your statements so far seem to suggest this:
Perhaps its time to look in the mirror and see how India treats its minorities... last I heard there was a pogrom against Christians and discriminatory anti-conversion laws enacted in several states by right-wing Hindu groups.
Typical Paki statements, conveniently ignoring its own treatment of its minorities
And please see the above links in the post above... Sri Lanka is playing the China card quite well, don't you worry about that
As like Pakis, threatening to "play the China card" and running off to China at the slightest imagined insult to H&D
So should I assume that Tamil Hindus aren't following their religion? Tamils are the only non-Muslim group on the subcontinent to give Islamists a run for their money when it comes to human bombs. And I have yet to see a more backward group of political leaders than the current ones of Tamil Nadu. But perhaps this is what happens when movie stars are voted into power
Typical Paki attitude of "Hindu kufr with 100000000000000 idols". "We are better onlee... we dont elect movie stars". When the issue is neither here nor there.

China has taken the time and effort to support Sri Lanka militarily, politically and economically. Well why doesn't India do that then and take away the space from the Chinese?
Another classic Paki trait: lookee here, I have a gun to my head. Give me more money or else I go to China and create more trouble for you conveniently ignoring the past and aid promised even now. If demands are not met, go off fulminating on how evil India is, even when conveniently getting Indian support.

Thats why I said, INGRATE!
You need to stop seeting Pakistanis everywhere and behind every bush. It's weird how Pakistan has so much of a fixation on several individuals. Sri Lanka is not Pakistan and Pakistan is not Sri Lanka.

If India wants to give space to China in Sri Lanka by ignoring Sri Lanka, that's India's policy decision, not Sri Lanka's.

If India does not want to fund the construction of ports in Sri Lanka, that's India's policy decision, not Sri Lanka's (this is what happened with Hambantota)

From Sri Lanka's perspective, every bit of investment is welcome - whether it comes from China or Pakistan or Mongolia.

China has shown great interest in supporting Sri Lanka politically, economically and militarily.

If India does not want to do likewise, that is India's policy decision.

But Sri Lanka should not reject any worthwhile investment in the country, especially just to please India.

A country emerging from a war needs all it can get.

Sri Lanka is a separate, sovereign country that makes its own policy decisions.

What is in India's interests is not necessarily in Sri Lanka's interests.

At present India may see a bogey in China. Sri Lanka does not.
Last edited by Kashyap on 12 Jun 2010 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Exactly, thats what I mean by typical Paki traits that KashyaP is exhibiting. Pakis are used condoms for the US and China, KashyaP wants SL to be a used condom for China and Pak. Thankfully, he is not deciding SL policy..
And you think being a "used condom" for India is better? :oops: :D
ajit_tr
BRFite

Post by ajit_tr »

Kashyap wrote:
ROFLMAO :rotfl:
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

China signs trade deals with Sri Lanka

President Mahinda Rajapakse (L) greets Chinese Vice-Premier Zhang Dejiang in Colombo
(AFP) – 1 hour ago

COLOMBO — Chinese Vice-Premier Zhang Dejiang held talks with Sri Lanka's president Saturday after signing six trade and economic deals, the president's office said in a statement.

Zhang had a breakfast meeting with President Mahinda Rajapakse and the two reviewed ongoing Chinese-assisted infrastructure projects.

"Today's meeting followed the signing of agreements between China and Sri Lanka for economic and technical cooperation, highways development... IT and the development of maritime ports," the statement said without giving details.

Zhang arrived in Colombo on Thursday with a 30-member delegation.

Sri Lanka maintains close ties with China, a key supplier of small arms to the island's armed forces during the height of fighting between troops and Tamil Tiger rebels.

"President Rajapakse thanked China for its continued assistance to Sri Lanka in the country?s efforts to defeat terrorism and for economic and social development both during the conflict and after," the statement said.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... FNhg7vIchw
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

You need to stop seeting Pakistanis everywhere and behind every bush. It's weird how Pakistan has so much of a fixation on several individuals. Sri Lanka is not Pakistan and Pakistan is not Sri Lanka.
You are the one who claims that SL is not going to be another Pakistan. Yet, each of your statements that I have quoted show remarkable similarity with the traits exhibited by Pakistanis from minority oppression, threatening Indian interests by using China or others, making fun of Hindus using some arbitrary trait which has no relevance to being a rank ingrate. And yet you say we have a fixation when you are the one who does his level best to emulate Paki behaviour? :P
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Tanaji wrote:
You are the one who claims that SL is not going to be another Pakistan. Yet, each of your statements that I have quoted show remarkable similarity with the traits exhibited by Pakistanis from minority oppression, threatening Indian interests by using China or others, making fun of Hindus using some arbitrary trait which has no relevance to being a rank ingrate. And yet you say we have a fixation when you are the one who does his level best to emulate Paki behaviour? :P
Dear sir, if you think Sri Lanka getting investment from China is a 'threat to Indian interests' then that is your problem. How cheaper electricity, better roads and a better railway network for Sri Lankans are considered to be a 'threat to Indian interests' is beyond me, unless of course "Indian interests" lie in keeping her neighbours poor and undeveloped (which is unfortunately actually something a few of the peeps in RAW and jingoistic patriots would like). I can see the point with Hambantota, but it was India that rejected the offer to build it. Why did not India's policy makers say "yes, ok, we'll build it.. it might have strategic benefits for India" ? When you want a house built and you go to one builder and they refuse to build it, do you go "oh well, that's it then" and go have a nap or do you find another builder?

Who is making fun of Hindus? I did not see you jumping to the defence of Buddhists when Stan was trying to create a Buddhist vs Hindu issue. Why?

People who point out the status of minorities in other countries should look at the status of the minorities in their own countries first. Else it's just a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

On a personal note I have mingled with Pakistanis and in my impression they are a very warm, friendly and hospitable people - just like Indians. If there were any "traits" to be noticed those were the traits I noticed.
ajit_tr
BRFite

Post by ajit_tr »

Sri Lankan Press Ties with India

Saturday, 12 Jun, 2010
PRESIDENT Mahinda Rajapaksa’s official visit to India has resulted in … relations between the two countries reaching a higher level. …It is a relationship encompassing all areas of relevance including trade, services, investment and integration of the economies and certain institutions of the two countries. Sri Lanka has been quite conscious of the geo-political realities of the South Asian region and the world at large. It is a fact that India, our closest neighbour and friend, is the colossus of the subcontinent. That is why Sri Lanka has always kept India informed of developments in the country and exchanged bilateral visits [at the] highest level regularly. This policy has paid dividends and contributed to the consistent positive development of … relations between our two countries. We could recall here that it [was] India that came to our assistance first in times of need. The arrival of Indian aid [to] the shores of Sri Lanka even before the tidal tsunami waves receded in December 2004 is a case in point.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... -india-260
Duangkomon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Duangkomon »

Kashyap wrote: And you think being a "used condom" for India is better? :oops: :D
Is that why Lanka wants to be India's little sister instead? :D
Anyways me thinks you guys can do better than aspire to be the used condom for the Pakis :eek:. May be I am wrong.
Making yourselves available to become the used condom for the highest bidder is a good star. :P
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Duangkomon wrote:
Kashyap wrote: And you think being a "used condom" for India is better? :oops: :D
Is that why Lanka wants to be India's little sister ? :D
Anyways me thinks you guys can do better than aspire to be the used condom for the Pakis :eek:. May be I am wrong.
Making yourselves available to become the used condom for the highest bidder is a good star. :P
Perhaps Sri Lanka should aim to be a premium condom - the highest bidder gets it 8)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Kashyap wrote:
India doesn't want or need to use SL against someone, so the point doesn't even arise. India's engagement with SL is solely on a 1 on 1 basis but I doubt you can digest the fact in your rhetorical flight of fancy.
if you think Sri Lanka getting investment from China is a 'threat to Indian interests' then that is your problem.
kashyap, YOU are saying it is, not anyone else. you are dropping hints of moving into chinese camp or whatever, which means military assistance not chinese investment in SL. I just hope for the common sri lankans that people of your intelligence and thinking be rare among the administration.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Kashyap wrote: I did not see you jumping to the defence of Buddhists when Stan was trying to create a Buddhist vs Hindu issue. Why?
Anyone who has read enough on the aggression and chauvinism of the dhammapadas of SL knows well enough to call the pot black. Reading the ramblings of Anagarika Dharmapala, even if in only bits and pieces, it is amply clear that the zero-sum game in terms of dharmic credentials has been initiated not by the Hindus, but by the Buddhist monks who have to lead the people.

Read books and articles please:
Buddhism in war: a study of cause and effect from Sri Lanka --- by EJ Harris
The work of kings: the new Buddhism in Sri Lanka --- By H. L. Seneviratne
Buddhism betrayed?: religion, politics, and violence in Sri Lanka ---- By Stanley Jeyaraja Tambiah
In defense of Dharma: just-war ideology in Buddhist Sri Lanka ----- Tessa J. Bartholomeusz
Sri Lankan Tamil nationalism: its origins and development in the nineteenth --- By A. Jeyaratnam Wilson
The break-up of Sri Lanka: the Sinhalese-Tamil conflict ---- By A. Jeyaratnam Wilson
Buddhist Warfare ---- By Michael Jerryson, Mark Juergensmeyer

After some glance, I can safely claim that the buddhism we guys know in India has little to do with the buddhism that is practiced in SL or thailand. It is like chalk and cheese and there remains the truth to the matter. Fact is a religious war in any other name is still a damn religious war.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Truth is, India was quite happy with a low intensity conflict rumbling along in Sri Lanka all these years, but jumped on the bandwagon when it saw the LTTE was getting defeated. China and Pakistan, however, were always on the bandwagon. Having weak neighbours is in India's interest so India can consolidate its position as the regional power. The only problem is when it gets really unstable and threatens to spill over into India - like the case with Pakistan. The LTTE was something that India used as leverage over Sri Lanka, let's not pretend otherwise.
Have not Srilankans used LTTE to put off IPKF. If not LTTE would have been finished long ago. So who paved the way for the low intensity conflict rumbling along.... If you put as many fingers pointing towards India there are that many fingers & more pointing at Srilankans for this.

Seeing the LTTE getting defeated, what if India went again in support of LTTE ? What would have been the result if that happened ? Back to square one as in 80s. Havent Ceylon used China & Pak card earlier...You dont seem to remember the history...

India is seeking peace. Once it had supported LTTE as those ruling Ceylon were employing progroms. India only reacted. So before the LTTE, who were the terrorists ? It is your own government.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> Sri Lanka doesn't hate India by any means, but Sri Lanka is suspicious of Tamil Nadu, and elements of India's intelligence agency who have a history or arming, training and funding terror groups in Sri Lanka.

correction, India's intelligence agencies didn't fund or arm terrorist groups, back then the tamil groups were insurgents at best. they became terrorists after India lost control over them.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

I had saved this comment from WAB
Sir,
I think the answer to that is yes - thats when the LTTE came into play.

After the US took over DG from the Brits, the US was having very close negotiations with the Sri Lankans. Locations in Trincomalee, Sri Lanka were to be given for a "Voice of America" radio station, besides there was talk of giving a naval base, to shift Subic Bay assets to Trincomalee. A La second DG in India's backyard.

Now view this with the cold war glasses. When the US sent 7th Fleet in Bay of Bengal in 1971 - Indira Gandhi never forgot that. Trincomalee formed a triangle with Karachi - DG - Trincomalee in the Indian Ocean. Not good for India. Besides an anti-India triangle of sorts was being created by the US policies, Pakistan-China-Sri Lanaka.

Since taking out DG was out of the question, Trincomalee had to go. The Sri Lankans gave India that an oppertunity on a platter when the Sinhala population started their pogroms against the Tamils. The rest is history.
Is it true ?
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

SL is an intractable issue for India.I think it is a demonstration that politics is a part of maya.

Kashyap has expended his energies for no particular purpose but there is some truth in some of his remarks.Today morning there was a serious blast on a railway track near madras(about 130 kms from chennai).Fortunately there were no casualties.Most importantly,DMK and GOI are working in unison.GOI is handling it in a masterly way.The DMK is very sober and responsible on the SL issue .

Yet troubling questions remain. The Sinhalese,eezham tamils nor the Indians are entirely blame free.The tamizh issue poses searching questions on issues of identity,language,ethnicity,nationalism,power,minorities,'culture',the 'indvidual'-his place in society,western notions of indvidualism,'inviolability' of individual,indvidual rights vs group power,discrimination by state,nativity,history,association of state power with trappings and symbols of particular communities, for which there are no simple 'solutions'.

What is a state? How is it defined? What is its relationship with the past? what is its future and destiny? How do the people inhabiting the land see the past and future?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

There is nothings such big deal about the whole thing, couple of things are needed

1) GoSL to work closely with GoI always, in a Bhutan like mode, they have to understand that we are too close physically, culturally and historically to try the Paki stunt

2) GoSL to ensure equality in the Island, all set of people have to be given equal opportunity etc...

3) The Elam types have to realize that all they can aspire to be "me too" Pakis if they go about "special status" and violence, thankfully since the demise of LTTE, this is the last issue of problem and hence at number 3.
---------------

The Eelam types are lucky that their little phataka did not actually cause any harm, in fact I am sure that they planned to make it happen that way, had it really cause damage, I think they would be first and foremost be chased out of Tamil Nadu by fellow Tamilians themselves.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

This is an excellent interview I came across sometime back. Provides a good perspective.

Buddhism, Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict
An Interview With The Thai Buddhist Social Thinker and Activist Sulak Sivaraksa

This interview was conducted in July 1993 in Japan and published in the Tamil Times.The views expressed by Sulak Sivaraksa on the Sri Lankan conflict are still worthy of consideration and reflection.
Let me first tell you something about Thai-Tamil relations of which many people do not seem to be aware in Thailand or in India and Sri Lanka. Before the establishment of close links between Lankan and Thai Buddhists, we had a long period of interaction with South Indian culture. Tamil Nadu already had a rich culture many centuries ago and there was constant intercourse between Thai and Tamil culture. The version of Ramayana we have in Thailand came from Tamil Nadu. The Brahmanic mantras chanted at ceremonies in the Thai court are Tamil in origin although many people still think that they are Sanskritic (in origin).{Kanchi Periyavar had mentioned something similar} In fact, some scholars have deciphered the words and shown them to be Tamil. And Buddhism came not only from North India but from the South as well as Tamil Nadu had one of the most active centres of Buddhism in Kanchi.
Now to return to your question about our role in promoting justice and peace in Lanka.There are people like me in Thailand who are very concerned about the situation in Sri Lanka and willing to do whatever we can to bring about a just resolution of the conflict and an end to the war. My nationality and religion could be both help and hindrance in this regard. The close ties between the Sri Lankan and Thai Sanghas provide us with a good communication channel. On the other hand, the nationalist elements in the Sinhala Buddhist Sangha may expect us to support their position or, at least, not to oppose them.

The first message I have for the Sinhala Buddhists is that they should abide by the Buddhist precept of non-violence. You cannot be a Buddhist and an advocate or a
supporter of violence at the same time.
Almost ten years ago, I was asked by three international peace bodies: War Resister International, Peace Brigades International and International Fellowship for Reconciliation, to participate in a peace initiative in Sri Lanka. I agreed to this and visited Sri Lanka in 1984 and several times after that. I met with Buddhist leaders including the Mahanayake to whom I said that the Sangha had got too close to politics at the expense Buddhism in Sri Lanka. I also politely asked the Mahanayake to explain why there were no Tamil Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka. I did not get a satisfactory answer. As a result of my visits and with the cooperation of the Peace Research Institute, Oslo, (PRIO) we managed to invite 35 Buddhist monks from Sri Lanka to Bangkok for a dialogue and reflection on the ethnic problem. Tord Høvik of PRIO, himself a Buddhist, was very helpful to me. I noticed that the Sinhala Buddhist monks suffered from a mental block when it came to the Tamil question. We talked a lot and at one stage I proposed that a meeting with Tamil militants may help and that it could be held in Madras or Bangkok. The monks were not ready for such a dialogue yet.They appeared to be worried that such a meeting might adversely affect their credibility among the Sinhala people. We also discussed other matters of mutual interest including alternative development. I showed the monks some parts of Bangkok to help them see the negative aspects of so called development. They also saw some of the positive side.

I raised another important question too. It concerned the virtual disappearance of Pintapata (the practice of begging by Buddhist monks) among the Sri Lankan Buddhist clergy.

An upshot of our efforts was that we gained a few individuals who became dedicated to the peace process at the risk being attacked by chauvinists as traitors to the Sinhala Buddhist cause. Now some monks and laypersons are working with Tamils. Some of them have been exposed to training in Norway and the Philippines sponsored by HURIDOCS and PRIO. I will continue my effort but I know it is not an easy task to find a solution and end the war.

Q: Can a Buddhist be a nationalist too?

Not the way many Buddhists in Sri Lanka are nationalists; they are Sinhalese before they are Buddhists. Buddha was born in India but his teachings spread far and wide across countries and states. A true Buddhist cannot be a nationalist although he or she may support those national movements that can serve as vehicles of the universal humanist values for which Buddhism stands. For a Buddhist, there is no Holy war or Just War. But in the real world Buddhists have been involved in state making and have often compromised their principles for the sake of patronage from states that oppressed the people. State patronage tends to divert the Sangha from the truly Buddhist course and co-opts it into supporting and justifying violations of people’s rights, Once you compromise with the state you enjoy a lot of privileges including material benefits, but that is not Buddhism.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

[sarcasm] The geniuses who thought of blowing up a railway track in Tamil Nadu to show their anger over the Sri Lankan President's visit to India should be given a medal! [/sarcasm] In all honesty, it is akin to shooting oneself in the foot. The only thing these people have proven once again is that they are violent extremists that the Sri Lankans make them out to be and who are too eager to blow stuff up and act like some mad mullah than actually think about a concrete plan that would actually get them somewhere politically without the unnecessary savagery.

Will the DMK seriously find and bring to justice these "failed" terrorists who tried to blow up these tracks and endanger so many Indians ?? I wouldn't hold my breath. At least, this time around the Indian government and RAW should get their act together and bring these lunatics under control before they start using Tamil Nadu and some Tamil politicians as a vehicle to resurrect their "blood feud" with the Sinhalese and drag India back into that mess.

While Rajapakse is feeding New Delhi with all this "kumbaya" and "rah-rah we are brothers" crap, we should not forget how Rajapakse used and discarded Fonseka after the LTTE were gone. Rajapakse is a politician and his only true goals are power and fame. To him, all this pandering to New Delhi is merely so that he can start a bidding war between Pak-China combine and India for his favor while he lines his pockets with kickbacks and gains fame for bringing development as a statesman. The GoI should endeavor to garner sufficient leverage in Sri Lanka by any means necessary either through diplomacy or the threat of "Tiger part 2" on them due to its strategic significance. Rajapakse should be told this in no uncertain terms while congratulating him on the end of the Sri Lankan civil war.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

svenkat wrote: Yet troubling questions remain. The Sinhalese,eezham tamils nor the Indians are entirely blame free.
What do you mean the Indians are not blame free ?? It was the GoI that messed up, Rajiv Gandhi and the Congress party to be particular! They stroked the Tigers and then lost control over them. The average Indian citizen didn't know what was happening and was not involved in any way. This was not a popular cause in India like how the Pakis are involved with Kashmir.

The Questions of nationality and origin are two entirely different things. Tamilians are easily content on being Singaporeans and Malaysians but they are not content being Sri Lankans now ? That argument is crazy, especially when you consider that Manmohan Singh, LK Advani and a millions of other people who were born in Pakistan are today Indians and running India. The idea that the same ethnicity belong together and apart from other ethnicities is at best a weak excuse to justify ethnic bias and xenophobia.
rahuls
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuls »

Some very interesting points coming from a Sri Lankan diplomat (who worked in UN), especially for those who think Sri Lanka can play China card and get away.

For India, Sri Lanka is not indispensable, but for Sri Lanka, India is indispensable
The handful of critics may be patriots but they are not realists. When we antagonized India we could not win the war, but when we correctly managed relations with India, we won the war. If India had opposed us or not supported us, we may not have been able to win or withstand the Western moves to stop the war. We must bear in mind that we still need that support because, though the hot war has been won by us, a cold war continues against us in the global arena. If India stops supporting us, not even the Non Aligned Movement will defend us fully, because they take their cue from respected Third World states such as India.
We must be aware of our strategic vulnerabilities. We must understand the limits of our China card. In the 1980s, J R Jayewardane’s UNP government thought that Sri Lanka can play the American card against India but he failed. Today, no one must have the opposite but similar illusion that we have a China card to play against India. Even China will not want to upset its relations with giant India, over little Sri Lanka. China did not come to its ally and our friend Pakistan’s aid during the Kargil crisis, when it was pushed back by India. China doesn’t want the West to entangle and entrap it in a tussle with India, which will prevent the onward rise of Asia as a whole.
India is a member of G 20. It is also a member of many groupings of intermediate powers such as BRICS which consists of Russia, China, Brazil, India and South Africa. If India gives a green light, the West will move against us. The US hasn’t so far, because of its strategic partnership with India, which it needs in order to balance off China.
We must never forget that despite China’s goodwill, not a dog supported us when India went against us in 1987. Today, despite China’s political support, Sudan is before the International Criminal Court, because it was referred there by the Security Council and China did not block it. The basic reality is that Sri Lanka’s closest friend China is not closest to Sri Lanka physically, geographically! We must neither embarrass nor overburden our friend China nor must we place all our eggs in the Beijing basket.
Russia will not help us if India says not to. Take that from me. The US would have moved against us in the UN and more importantly the IMF last year, if not for India putting in a word in our favour. We have been operating under the Indian and Chinese umbrellas diplomatically, but if the Indian umbrella is furled up, nobody will back us. Our friends will start stepping away from us. This is the basic point: India is so big; it is such a vast market and so powerful an economic player; it is so vital strategically, that no one will take our side against India; no one will support us if India is known to be against us.
I can tell you that as far as certain key issues go, such as the Tamil question and a political settlement with the Tamils, there is no difference between the views of India, China, Russia and the USA! That is true of the Non-aligned countries as well.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

[quote="rahuls"]Some very interesting points coming from a Sri Lankan diplomat (who worked in UN), especially for those who think Sri Lanka can play China card and get away.

For India, Sri Lanka is not indispensable, but for Sri Lanka, India is indispensable

We should let these guys stew in their own chinese soup.

As someone had aptly put it earlier......Ingrates.

If the chinese are foolishly allowed to base or even bring weapons to hambantota, the consequences that will inevitably follow will have a drastic fallout on the sinhalese.

Practitioners of begging bowl politics should look to the porkis to gauge the brightness of their futures.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

chetak wrote:
rahuls wrote:Some very interesting points coming from a Sri Lankan diplomat (who worked in UN), especially for those who think Sri Lanka can play China card and get away.

We should let these guys stew in their own chinese soup.

As someone had aptly put it earlier......Ingrates.

If the chinese are foolishly allowed to base or even bring weapons to hambantota, the consequences that will inevitably follow will have a drastic fallout on the sinhalese.

Practitioners of begging bowl politics should look to the porkis to gauge the brightness of their futures.
There are some sensibe voices here in India's southern border as opposed to delusional ones in our north west. I again repeat - there are only two options for SL that I wrote in the previous page. (1) fall in line and do exactly what India wants (2) self destroy yourself with some 1000 year war paradigm.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

Brando wrote:[sarcasm] The geniuses who thought of blowing up a railway track in Tamil Nadu to show their anger over the Sri Lankan President's visit to India should be given a medal! [/sarcasm] In all honesty, it is akin to shooting oneself in the foot. The only thing these people have proven once again is that they are violent extremists that the Sri Lankans make them out to be and who are too eager to blow stuff up and act like some mad mullah than actually think about a concrete plan that would actually get them somewhere politically without the unnecessary savagery.

Will the DMK seriously find and bring to justice these "failed" terrorists who tried to blow up these tracks and endanger so many Indians ?? I wouldn't hold my breath. At least, this time around the Indian government and RAW should get their act together and bring these lunatics under control before they start using Tamil Nadu and some Tamil politicians as a vehicle to resurrect their "blood feud" with the Sinhalese and drag India back into that mess.

While Rajapakse is feeding New Delhi with all this "kumbaya" and "rah-rah we are brothers" crap, we should not forget how Rajapakse used and discarded Fonseka after the LTTE were gone. Rajapakse is a politician and his only true goals are power and fame. To him, all this pandering to New Delhi is merely so that he can start a bidding war between Pak-China combine and India for his favor while he lines his pockets with kickbacks and gains fame for bringing development as a statesman. The GoI should endeavor to garner sufficient leverage in Sri Lanka by any means necessary either through diplomacy or the threat of "Tiger part 2" on them due to its strategic significance. Rajapakse should be told this in no uncertain terms while congratulating him on the end of the Sri Lankan civil war.
Fact is no TN political party really gives a pakistan for the welfare of SL Tamils. Everyone just wants to exploit this issue to gain leverage within TN politics.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Boudh Dharma is a great religion and so is Hindu Dharma. I absolutely do not support Buddhists and Hindus fighting among themselves.

Sir Lanka is the family. I personally do not support any comparison of Sri Lanka with condom nations like Pakistan. Sri Lanka is a great country and credit goes to intelligent Tamils and Sinhalas for making it so.

I wish Sri Lanka all the prosperity and happiness. They deserve it.

As a side note, Indians will not let any power destabilize Sri Lanka. Period.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

rahuls wrote:Some very interesting points coming from a Sri Lankan diplomat (who worked in UN), especially for those who think Sri Lanka can play China card and get away.

thanks for the article. it echoes my earlier post almost to a comma, just shows that the kashyaps are not running the foreign policy of SL.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Kashyap wrote:
Perhaps Sri Lanka should aim to be a premium condom - the highest bidder gets it 8)
What Lankan are you? treat your country like a condom? that too premium? what kind of concept is that? tatha vidhi

Rahuls...thanks for the article.
Dhiman
BRFite

Post by Dhiman »

Kashyap wrote: Perhaps Sri Lanka should aim to be a premium condom - the highest bidder gets it 8)
Kashyap, I don't see any covert or overt hostility between Sri Lanka and India nor do I see a potential for one. Infact I see a great potential for a very good long term relationship and the risk (sentiments in Tamil Nadu and SL's China/Pak policy) remain quite minimal and manageable at this point.

As long as we keep the Tamil Nadu sentiments in mind and you keep the China/Pak/Hostile Country factor in mind, things will turn out for better. Not a terribly difficult thing to do and hopefully with a social settlement of problems in Sri Lanka, the Tamil issues will disappear. Address any remaining resentment from the past of military/civil conflict first, China and Pak factor can wait.

Best Regards.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Interesting article. To what extent are his views also held by the Lankan elite?
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

India wary of China’s increasing role in Lanka
New Delhi is wary of the increasing role of China in Sri Lanka, which, many in strategic circles here believe, is part of Beijing’s strategy to encircle India in the sub-continent. Helping China in its designs in Sri Lanka is Pakistan. Pakistan is reported to have supplied al-Khalids (Pakistan’s main battle tank) and advanced rocket launchers to Sri Lanka in recent years.

Sri Lanka's support for India's UNSC candidature
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Karan Dixit
As a side note, Indians will not let any power destabilize Sri Lanka. Period.
Is this a joke. Where were you for the last 30 years.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Rahul M
Some very interesting points coming from a Sri Lankan diplomat (who worked in UN), especially for those who think Sri Lanka can play China card and get away.
SL never distabilized or played any part in helping distabilize India. But your country have done so.
Anyway you guys are barking at the wrong tree. It is not us you have to worry about, it is the west who separated India and it is them who would continue to do. They have every thing to fear about a powerful India than people in SL.

thanks for the article. it echoes my earlier post almost to a comma, just shows that the kashyaps are not running the foreign policy of SL.
Your assumption might be wrong. If it was not for people like Kashap taking over our nation, we would be still be bombed by LTTE left, right and centre.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Yes, Nice joke- Thusitha , but dont forget the role of 1983 riots which killed 3000 tamils by the Sinhalese right role before that.

Also Don't forget the Role of nice Gents in Britain, USA , Norway et all. These were the guys who didnt let Prabhakaran go to peace. The Chinese and Pakis also at various points of time supplied arms to the LTTE.

Belive me all these "powers" would love create trouble in Sri Lanka so that it can create problems for India.

Only India amoung these powers benefits from a peaceful and prosperous Sri lanka. Think about it.

Thusitha, sorry . People like the kashaps would have got Sri lanka in more trouble by being Hostile to India. Dont forget while India helped the LTTE in the 80's and surely there was some smuggling going to the LTTE.

India also helped the Sri Lankan Govt with Radars, Financial aid ( when Sri Lanka needed to buy arms- as thanks to some politicians we could not supply arms directly against LTTE), Chetak Helicopters, OPV class vessels. Naval intelligence against smugling ships etc.

Infact, President Rajapkse has been one of the closest Sri Lankan leaders with India ( he is heavily hated by the BBC and ofcourse people like Mr Vaiko for that).
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

There is some information that Chinese is operating against India with the help of Srilankans...