Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Aug 09, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Aug 09, 20

Post by ArmenT »

James B wrote:X-Post
Pranav wrote:The Right to Happiness
http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... -happiness
It took just one visit to Kabul to appreciate what we take so much for granted.

I asked a man who was hanging around: “Where is Mullah Omar?”

“In Pervez Musharraf’s house in Islamabad,” he said.

We went to a restaurant for lunch and were shocked by the lack of service, sheer rudeness. Finally, it came to a point when I went up to the owner, who was sitting at the cash counter, and asked him what the hell was wrong. “Pakistani, no service,” :rotfl: he told me. “But we are Hindustani,” I told him. His demeanour changed miraculously. “Hindustani!” he said. “Half price, double service!” :mrgreen: And he insisted on charging us only half of what was mentioned in the menu.
Same thing happened to me in London with an Afghan-origin cabbie around 2002. Once he determined I wasn't Paki, suddenly it was all smiles. He even refused to take my tip!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Raghavendra wrote:Angelina's donation for floods surpasses Zardari's help http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20100825/87 ... rpa_1.html
That's 2 talaqs. :x
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://worldmeets.us/frankfurterrundschau000048.shtml
Frankfurter Rundschau, Germany
Beyond War: A Marshall Plan for Pakistan

"The U.S. Marshall Plan after World War II was a completely successful mix of carrots and no, not sticks, but rather an index finger. … 'You Germans are still worth something to us, despite being Hitler's subordinates and having been defeated by us. We won’t leave you hungry. We will help you rebuild. But in return we expect from you a political system that will not degenerate back into a threat."

EDITORIAL

Translated By Carol Goetzky
August 19, 2010
Germany - Frankfurter Rundschau - Original Article (Germany)

The international community has two options for handling the disaster: a morally good one or a morally and politically better one. The morally good but politically shortsighted option was spelled out by Germany's president [Christian Wulff]. The pathetic response of the Pakistani government, he says, mustn't prevent us from helping those who need it. Not even the much-talked about risk of money falling into the hands of the Taliban should apply as an argument against generous giving. Reputable relief organizations are in fact well-enough established to join with their local partners to get relief supplies into the proper hands.

The Marshall Plan that we would need would be closer to what Pakistan has calculated - $15 billion. Roads, schools (5,000 of which are thought to have been destroyed!), agriculture with a stable income outlook - to put is solemnly: a future; an alternative to rising support for the Taliban, which isn't rising because of faith, but out of disgust with stagnation and violence.

A "new Afghanistan" built in the Hindu Kush was the justification offered by the allies for fighting there. Next door in Pakistan, they may have a chance to build something new without it first being destroyed by war; something new which, by the way, could promise us all more security by stabilizing this tottering nuclear power. This opportunity may be small. But anyone who looks at what the military alternative has left behind elsewhere may say: it cannot end any worse.

In Pakistan, they say rescuers lack helicopters. How about if ISAF in Afghanistan temporarily does without a few? That would perhaps be a start.
AL-JAZEERA NEWS VIDEO: Was the partition of India and Pakistan 'worth it'?, August 21, 00:22:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1cUEgocnY
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

Prem wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/opini ... .html?_r=1
China's Discreet Hold on Pakistan's Northern Borderlands
( India must issue statement that its a disputed territory and it reserve the right to intervene any time to free it from occupation)
Until recently, the P.L.A. construction crews lived in temporary encampments and went home after completing their assignments. Now they are building big residential enclaves clearly designed for a long-term presence. What is happening in the region matters to Washington for two reasons. Coupled with its support for the Taliban, Islamabad’s collusion in facilitating China’s access to the Gulf makes clear that Pakistan is not a U.S. “ally.” Equally important, the nascent revolt in the Gilgit-Baltistan region is a reminder that Kashmiri demands for autonomy on both sides of the cease-fire line would have to be addressed in a settlement. Media attention has exposed the repression of the insurgency in the Indian-ruled Kashmir Valley. But if reporters could get into the Gilgit-Baltistan region and Azad Kashmir, they would find widespread, brutally-suppressed local movements for democratic rights and regional autonomy.

I had many months ago posted essentially the same thought. PRC will step in to protect on behalf of TSP the northern areas. As and when TSP appears weak, PRC will fill in to scare India away from any action. It will not assert soverignty in NA, but will assert protection of this area as an extension of its freindship with TSP.

The washing away of KKH is practically meaningless for India. KKH or no KKH, India is not planning an invasion, not does it have the will or capability to initiate a war with TSP at this point. The KKH will be re-made, but the small window where KKH is not built up has no meaning for India. Such developments are worthwhile for nations that are ready for a fight, not that are comatose.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^^ I don't think India has any plans of taking back the PoK or Aksai Chin. We are happy with whatever we have been able to save.
Mentality is that as long as Barbarians are not at my Gate, I can focus on other Joys of life and when the hours comes, I can pack up and move to a different locality.
So all these wet dreams of making a common border with Afghanistan and CAR are just that. Wet dreams!
Heck it will be a great achievement if 50 Years down the line we still have North east and J&K still part of India in the same shape and form as it is today.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bugti evokes strong emotions after four years
Major parts of Balochistan observed a shutter-down strike on Thursday to mark the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Baloch nationalist leader Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti during the regime of the former President, Pervez Musharraf.

As has been the case, most political parties of the restive province observed the day as “Black Day” to condemn the murder of the former Governor and Chief Minister of Balochistan.

“August 26 is one such day on which all people of Balochistan, irrespective of their ethnic affiliations and conflicting political views, mourn collectively. Every citizen of the country's poorest province recalls the arrogant assault on an old ailing man who fought for the democratic rights of the people of Balochistan,” said the editorial of the first online Baloch newspaper, The Baloch Hal.

Balochis believe that Nawab Bugti was murdered by the then federal government and a major grouse is that no enquiry was ordered into his assassination. He is the father of Bramdagh Bugti whose Indian passport has become a sore point in relations between India and Pakistan. The matter had come up for discussion at the Foreign Minister level engagement last month as Pakistan remains convinced about India's role in the ongoing strife in the province.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

surinder wrote:

I had many months ago posted essentially the same thought. PRC will step in to protect on behalf of TSP the northern areas. As and when TSP appears weak, PRC will fill in to scare India away from any action. It will not assert soverignty in NA, but will assert protection of this area as an extension of its freindship with TSP.

The washing away of KKH is practically meaningless for India. KKH or no KKH, India is not planning an invasion, not does it have the will or capability to initiate a war with TSP at this point. The KKH will be re-made, but the small window where KKH is not built up has no meaning for India. Such developments are worthwhile for nations that are ready for a fight, not that are comatose.
Of course Chini deepel than tarrest sea friends!
But Islam ? Tarrest friend has no Islam. And deepset friend is kaffir! Kaffir ruling parts of the Caliphate? NOOO!!!
Jeehard!!
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

This is a must watch folks :rotfl: Apparently this latest Paki wannabe Jihadi competed in Canadian Idol

He probably got recruited to sing to nanha mujahids who wouldnt be able to bear it and strap on a vest to end their misery :rotfl:
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Is it just me or does he resemble Mr.Bean a bit? What unbelievable nutjobs Porkis produce! That video deserves a place in the 'Benis' dhaaga!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

India bearing gifts by Zafar Hilaly: Daily Times
There is no doubt that being an ally Pakistan does lend an ear to the US’s counsel, and Mr Zardari lends a bit more than that
The Pakistanis have accepted. GUBO is real.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Ittefaq Nama from TFT

Look at Altaf Bhai, asking for patriotic generals to impose martial la. Is that any talk? Four times in 63 year history of Pakistan we have tasted martial la. Faujis have ruled us openly for 32 years and from the behind for 26 years, accept for 5 years Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto interrectum. So, Altaf Bhai, if Pakistan is failing whose fault it is, hain ji? If poors are drowning because dams haven’t been built, whose fault it is? If we have no money to feed, clothe, house and educate the people but plenty of money to build bums and wage wars, whose fault it is? If there is no peace in our land and jihadis, lashkars and ethnic fascists are killing innocents, whose fault it is? Whose paaltus they are, hain ji? If Pakistan is mistrusted by whole world and we don’t have one friend, whose fault it is, hain ji? Whose fault it is that thud class people like Asaf Zardari are ruling? Oye, when you kill or destroy all your political leaders like Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy, Liaqat Ali Khan, Nauroz Khan, Dr Khan Sahab, Mian Iftikharuddin, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Benazir Bhutto and God knows who else, you are going to get a Zardari, hain ji. Because every body else is dead, hain ji. Haw many leaders India has killed, please to tell me Altaf Bhai, from where you have come. Also, why you are living in London as Britisher if Pakistan is such a nice place with so many patriotic generals, what you have to fear, hain ji? :rotfl:

Vaisay, between the you and me, I think so after breaking of the fast Altaf Bhai is having too much of sherbet. Touch the wood, me and Shbaz Saab we are not liking the sherbet. My advice to Altaf Bhai is that he should relax and enjoy. Why not to go to New York and stay in Plaza Cinema, or even Rooh Afza Hotel :rotfl: which I belief is owned by PIA? Vaisay, I doubt it that Altaf Bhai can get USA visa.

Last evening while watching tallyviyion, I fell asleep. Again Princess Diana came in my dream. She was wearing black Saudi abaya and white gloves. Only her beautiful billoo eyes were showing. She said, “hello Nawaz. Yours lovingly, Diana”. I said haw I should know that you are Diana, hain ji, when I cannot see anything of yours expect your billoo eyes. She said, “look at my white gloves. My farmer mother-in-la Queen Elizbeth is wearing them always.” Oh yes, I said. Diana said, “she gave these gloves to me. So I am truly Diana”. Then I heard terrible noise. My eye opened. It was Altaf Bhai croaking on tallyviyion again: “… naheen chalay gaaaaaaaa…”

From sublime to ridicklus
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Nuggets from TFT
‘Miracle’ tile and Chief Justice

Reported in Express Chief Justice Lahore High Court Khwaja Sharif learned that a floor tile at Data Darbar had mysteriously appeared to show the script of Ya Allah after the terrorist bomb blast there. He immediately called the Auqaf Director to bring the tile to him and show him the miracle. After that Director Auqaf took custody of the miracle tile and the matter was taken to the Religious Committee. It was decided that the tile would now be affixed at a high place at Data Darbar. The Chief Justice asked to see the tile after it was rumoured that the tile was to be placed in the Lahore Museum; and that the tile may be sold at a high price.
A funny way of spreading prosperity

Columnist Aftab Iqbal wrote in Jang that a religious saint or pir in Sheikhupura had invented a novel way of bringing prosperity and riches to his followers. He was relying on a new riazat (exercise) which entailed the hanging of his followers upside down from the branches of a tree. When the pir was asked why he had a number of his followers hanging like bats from the tree, he said that the miracle he had in mind could only be done if the followers subjected themselves to this pain. The columnist wrote that brain damage was more likely from what was being staged.
A case of ‘sleeping’ thieves

Daily Pakistan reported that in Gulberg Lahore two thieves entered the house of a businessman who was away in Karachi with his family. Amir and Ramzan went in after jumping over the boundary wall, broke all the locks and gathered valuables in a bag. After that they went into the kitchen, cooked food and ate it. Overcome with fatigue the two were sound asleep when the police, alerted by the chowkidar, caught them.
First do your MA, then do matric!

Reported in Jang one member of the Punjab Assembly belonging to PML-N has the rare distinction of doing his MA first and then doing his BA and finally achieving success in matriculation examination. :rotfl: Tariq Mehmood Bajwa won his seat from PP-170 in Punjab. He carelessly did his MA without first passing school (class ten).
Water issue and nuclear bomb

Chief Editor Jinnah speaking to a gathering of Nazriati Summer School said that it was no use possessing a nuclear bomb and yet see Pakistan’s water being stolen by India. :eek: He said apart from liberals some people who have the strong view that India should be attacked with nuclear bombs should also remain present in the country.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

with the current chaotic situation and the possibility that the 'strategic assets' are on the move, will not the punjabi taliban make a grab for the crown jewels? now or never i think
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Lalmohan wrote:with the current chaotic situation and the possibility that the 'strategic assets' are on the move, will not the punjabi taliban make a grab for the crown jewels? now or never i think
That's why I am unable to dismiss the kidnapping of Tariq Majid's s-i-l as another routine affair. After all, Gen. Majid is the nominal head of nuclear forces, as the CJCSC. The truth may never come out, whatever happens.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ interesting twist! assuming ofcourse that the pukjabi-talibs and their friends have the confidence or arrogance to think they can manage the jewels themselves
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

From Paki Wheels Forum
AoA guys
My cousin (AMIR MALIK) has been kidnapped yesterday around 8 o'clock by a gang of 10 people who were on 3 bikes and 1 car..........the AMAZING THING is that his house is infront of a mosque in MODEL TOWN where a police HILUX was present at the time when they took him but as we all know about our police...those ******** couldnt do anything but to watch ....they followed the kidnappers for a quarter mile and then came back with no success...a servant from the neighbouring house noted all the reg #'s of their vehicle and the car was pesh reg.

According to a ISI report ....this has been the 22nd case in last few months :?: that are similar to these....
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Explosion in Mansehra, one killed
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

shravan wrote:Explosion in Mansehra, one killed
Oh I almost forgot. It is fridin. 8)
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pakistan's Economic Meltdown has Begun says this TFT Article
Excerpts
The Ministry of Finance has prepared an assessment of macroeconomic impacts of the disaster, parts of which have been leaked in the press. The highly respected and entirely credible Advisor for Finance, Sakib Sherani, is now saying that zero GDP growth and 25 percent inflation are distinct possibilities.

A fifth of Pakistan’s land mass and almost a third of cropped acreage (17 million acres), including much of the country’s most fertile, irrigated land, is or has been, under water. There is a strong possibility that the Rabi sowing season (September-October) will pass by and vast tracts of land will not have been brought under cultivation. Kharif sowing will not begin till February 2011, and the crop won’t be harvested till August 2011. That’s a full year when approximately a third of the population, primarily dependent on agriculture, will not be able to generate an income.

And now to infrastructure. More than a million houses have been destroyed, along with commercial areas, roads (almost 2500 miles of highway), bridges (close to 300 destroyed in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa alone) and culverts. The damage to social sector and irrigation infrastructure is immense – an estimated 6000 schools have been destroyed across the country, and a further 5000 are currently being used as shelters.

One is to ask the IMF to back up a request for debt restructuring or even debt write-offs from at least bilateral donors, thus freeing up a significant portion of budgetary resources (general public services and debt servicing were lumped together in the last budget, and expenditure under this head was budgeted at about $13 billion). This would obviously be the most positive outcome for Pakistan. Initial reports, however, suggest that the government is not going to ask for debt rescheduling, as this is generally interpreted as a sign of weakness in the international community. {Does Pakistan think that the rest of the world considers it as strong for it to be dented now if it asks for rescheduling of debts ? Or, is the author making a virtue out of necessity?} It is particularly awkward to ask for rescheduling when the Pakistani government has already been the recipient of donor largesse, less than a decade ago, when the Paris Club rescheduled $12 billion worth of loans. Multilateral donors almost never reschedule to any significant extent. For reasons of realpolitik, therefore, rescheduling, preferable though it may be, is unlikely to be one of the options on the table.

The IMF is reportedly going to be asked for $500 million in emergency assistance, which should send a positive signal to other donors. The ADB and the World Bank have already made pledges of about $3 billion in soft loans. They are also talking about freeing up resources from non-performing loans or programs whose performance is below par, and diverting them towards reconstruction. Such assistance is unlikely to amount to more than $5 billion. That leaves bilateral donors, mainly the US. The Kerry-Lugar aid package, which amounts to $7.5 billion is still being structured, and at least a part of it may be diverted to reconstruction.

In any event, the diversion of all resources, domestic and international, to reconstruction has huge implications for the economy. Pakistan’s growth trajectory has fallen significantly below the 7 percent GDP growth predicted this year by the Panel of Economists for 2014-15. If we make it to 4 percent GDP growth in another three to four years, it will be an achievement.

In an ideal world {When has Pakistan seen an ideal situation for the aothor to gloat about that ? Besides, she is talking about 'ideal world' and not 'ideal Pakistan'. Why blame the world not being ideal when it is Pakistan that has been crooked from day one ?}, Pakistan would get major debt relief after this unprecedented disaster, and proceed to rebuild using its own re-allocated resources, with perhaps some grant assistance from the international community. In the real world, Pakistan will ask for, and get more loans, and move towards an uncertain future where its long-term liabilities will be formidable.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Another article, 'Saving Pakistan's Agriculture' in TFT, says the following:
In light of these extreme events, one option is to change food habits. “The grains and lentil producing areas are destroyed and the country will obviously face a shortage,” said Dr Zafar Altaf, “We may have to shift from grains and lentils to beans as this commodity would be cost-effective in these difficult times.”
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

SSridhar wrote:Pakistan's Economic Meltdown has Begun says this TFT Article
Excerpts
The Ministry of Finance has prepared an assessment of macroeconomic impacts of the disaster, parts of which have been leaked in the press. The highly respected and entirely credible Advisor for Finance, Sakib Sherani, is now saying that zero GDP growth and 25 percent inflation are distinct possibilities.

A fifth of Pakistan’s land mass and almost a third of cropped acreage (17 million acres), including much of the country’s most fertile, irrigated land, is or has been, under water. There is a strong possibility that the Rabi sowing season (September-October) will pass by and vast tracts of land will not have been brought under cultivation. Kharif sowing will not begin till February 2011, and the crop won’t be harvested till August 2011. That’s a full year when approximately a third of the population, primarily dependent on agriculture, will not be able to generate an income.

A third of the population is more than 50 million people!
Labourers who work in the fields are normally paid daily. That pay is used to buy food for the family. With no work, we are looking at millions of families starving to death.
The first reports of aid trucks being looted came in 2 days back. And aid is not going to be there for long. The support will be there for a max of 1 month after which Pakistan will have to stand on its feet! But no crops, no govt machinery and no organisation in getting things back to normal means millions of poor people roaming the lands for food! Folks, 1 year is a very long time for someone with a hungry stomach! Even Islamist organizations cannot deal with this despite what news agencies claim!
There will be influx of people into the big cities in search of work and food!
Pakistan is staring at anarchy, looting and widespread violence in smaller towns before the end of the year!

I do hope and pray 2011 is the year !
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Another TFT article, 'Militants at Work'
"We had picked up guns for the people’s welfare, and now we are carrying out relief activities for their welfare again,” said Commander Bakht Zameen, chief of Al Badr Mujahideen, in a brief chat with a small group of media persons during his stay in Lahore. This was truly really intriguing for people monitoring jihadist groups.

Already, Jamaat ud Dawa (JuD) is doing massive relief work in flood affected areas including parts of Azad Kashmir, Southern Punjab and Sindh, despite the Punjab Government’s claims of having complete control over the JuD’s institutions. On the other hand, Al Rehmat Trust, the charity wing of the banned Jaish e Muhammad is also active in Azad Kashmir and Southern Punjab, running its relief campaign successfully.

Even so, the involvement of Al Badr in relief activities in Punjab is intriguing. Al Badr, once closely associated with Jamaat e Islami and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar’s Hizb e Islami, is now taken as the major armed wing of Hizb e Islami. It fought in Afghanistan under the leadership of Hekmatyar, and after the Afghan War was over, it shifted its focus to Indian-occupied Kashmir. Al Badr carried out some relief work in Azad Kashmir and Mansehra after the 2005 earthquake, and there are reports that it is active in Azad Kashmir for flood relief work. While Al Badr’s activities in the Punjab are still a mystery, people related to Al Badr in the past say that Bakht Zameen hails from the Punjab and this might be reason for his appearance in the province.

Surrounded by dozens of gunmen in a mosque, situated near JI’s headquarters in Lahore at Mansoora, Commander Zameen told reporters that he is collecting donations for flood victims from various cities of the Punjab. He came from Faisalabad to Lahore, and was leaving for Mailsi for the same purpose. “We cannot leave our people alone. We have to play our role for relief and rehabilitation,” said Zameen.

JuD did marvelous work after the earthquake in the mountains of Azad Kashmir and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa where the state machinery was unable to reach the people. JuD not only rescued thousands of people from Bagh, Muzzafarabad, Garhi Habibullah, Garhi Dupatta, Mansehra, Balakot and other areas but also played an important role in their rehabilitation. For this very reason, when US authorities banned Idara Khidmat e Khalq, a welfare wing of JuD, it was seen that hundreds of people protested against the decision on the roads and streets of earthquake-hit areas, providing a real boost to the morale of the JuD.

Today, Pakistan has again been struck by a huge calamity, and again armed religious groups are in the field, helping people. History shows that such conditions are ideal for religious groups as they not only deepen their roots amongst the masses but also collect huge funds and donations, besides strengthening their credibility.

The JuD’s spokesman Yahya Mujahid told TFT that thousands of the JuD’s activists are rescuing people, irrespective of their religion and sect. “We have rescued Hindu families as well,” said Mujahid. According to reports the JuD is using motorboats to rescue people from Southern Punjab and Sindh.

Mujahid says that rescue and relief is the first phase of their strategy. “We will play a major role in rehabilitation of the displaced and homeless people,” he added.

When asked about source of the JuD’s funding, he said, “Our only source of funding is the people of Pakistan, who trust us and give us huge donations in different forms.”

Interestingly, the federal government has decided to stop the banned religious groups from carrying out relief activities and collecting funds for this purpose. {This is an unadulterated lie being peddled.} The Khyber Paktunkhwa government has also adopted the same strategy. However, in the Punjab, we see not only the JuD, Al Rehmat Trust, Al Badr Mujahideen but also other banned groups collecting funds for flood victims.

Punjab’s Law Minister Rana Sanaullah, when asked about the directions of the federal government regarding the banned groups’ activities in flood-hit areas, replied, “We are strictly following the federal government’s directions and have ordered police to take action wherever it finds banned groups engaged in collecting funds or doing relief work” But he did not elaborate what kind of action it would be.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Following the floods - in TFT
The floods began in late July 2010, when unusually intense monsoon rains fell over northern Pakistan. By August 19, about one-fifth of Pakistan was flooded. However, the region is not unfamiliar with floods. Before this disaster, Pakistan has suffered a cumulative financial loss of more than Rs 385 billion (US $6 billion) on account of 15 major floods and before this year the death toll by floods was near 7,800.

On July 28, 2010, Pakistan Meteorological Department’s flood forecasting division sent out warnings of significant floods from River Kabul and its tributaries in North KPK. Flash floods were expected for only 36 hours, but no forecasting could predict the force with which water was being collected and hurled downstream. After this, warnings were issued on all barrages and dams southward.

On July 29, 2010, warnings began from the Tarbela Dam on the Indus, to districts in River Chenab’s proximity and the Mangla Dam on Jehlum. Next in line of the flood was Taunsa Barrage on the Indus, where water swept over Muzaffargarh, DG Khan and Rajanpur on 31 July, 2010. Guddu Barrage near Sukkur was next, and lastly the Kotri Barrage in Sindh, were both placed on high alert on August 5, 2010. The warnings were of minimal advantage, as within 24-26 hours of them, villages were swept away.

Rain has worsened the inundation in South Punjab, while Gilgit-Baltistan is still under heavy threat, with no access by road vehicles. Lower Sindh continues to receive flood threats by the government.

As of August 17, 2010, in the north, the Karakoram Highway (KKH) from Gilgit to Hunza is blocked and in Kohistan four bridges on the KKH have broken. Deforestation in Swat and Gilgit has been blamed for the damage to bridges. The major reason being the dislodging of collected logs, which rolled downstream with the water. It was not only the force of the water but these logs that destroyed many of the bridges. {And, we know that the logs are actually money-spinners for the Taliban}

In Sindh the Indus at Sukkur barrage was at exceptionally high levels on August 18 as shown by the false-colour image (compared with the same region on August 13, 2001. The plant-covered land is red in the false-colour images and dark blue canals surround the white-gray city of Sukkur). The floods caused the Indus to extend over its banks across many kilometres.

The Kotri Barrage is the final structure before the river empties into the Arabian Sea. The fist recorded surge of water at the barrage is over about 857,860 cusecs*, as of August 22.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

jrjrao wrote:The latest (yesterday, Aug 25) from Prof. Mead:
Pakistan is Sinking: Time For Tough Love?
If a strategically myopic military and a rent-addicted economic elite are truly determined to lock the country into its current destructive and unsustainable course, the US will have to consider alternative ways to safeguard its regional interests.

Going forward, the United States will have to find ways to make clear that Pakistanis will determine the future course of our relations. We should work seriously and contribute generously towards a far-reaching program of national renewal and change; we should not lift a finger for a failing status quo.
Now would be the perfect time to jack up the arms race between India and Pakistan. Let India make a threatening arms acquisition now and get Pakistan to undertake some similar defensive or offensive procurement. Then bring it out in the open, and let the world know that this is what Pakistan does to the their aid. They go and buy themselves some expensive military toys.

Many people have donated for these floods. They would like to keep on hearing that their money is reaching the needy. Well India should give them a jolt. All the recent arms purchases, the nuke deal with China, the terrorists on the loose, all the corruption, all these stories should get prominent publicity in India and the international press.

If you want to tell Pakistanis who are drowning that the Army has higher and better priorities than their lives, there will be internal anger. If you tell the world, that Pakistan will not change its spots, the world will know, that Pakistan is headed for failure and there is nothing anybody can do anything about it, so it is time for others to hedge their bets and interests with India.

In fact I would love a big corruption story coming out of Pakistan right now. AoA
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the ghosts of SDRE bengalis are coming back to haunt the TFTA's
first a natural calamity a la 71
then a man made famine a la 43
civil war cannnot be far behind
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

^ which is precisely what I am saying.

The current crisis is God's sign that he wants India to survive and succeed. So, the decisions that Indian leaders should have taken, has now been taken by God - destruction of pakistan to such an extent that it will:
1. no longer pose a military threat,
2. set paki upon paki - civil war,
3. will take America to multiply its aid several times, something which that flat broke country can no longer afford.

This is law of karma in action.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

^^^ AoA RajeshA,

The MRCA contract will decided soon. :0
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the Pakistani role in global terrorism thread.

Canada’s National Post carries an article whose title fully reflects the Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s love affair with IT, and here I do not mean Information Technology but rather mean Islamic Terrorism:

For terror investigators, all roads lead to Pakistan
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

But reports from a variety of foreign intelligence sources, Pakistani journalists and Pakistani human rights workers reveal two important new developments in Gilgit-Baltistan: a simmering rebellion against Pakistani rule and the influx of an estimated 7,000 to 11,000 soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army.

11K PLA folks sitting in PoK??

Must must from the 2nd artllery helping the Pakis repaint some M-9s or M-11s to make up for a few lost during the floods!!
And ATM has done alone what the USAF, IAF, and all the world's other AFs should have done to destroy the commie-paki infrastructure. The 11K PLA must be because they see the Pak administration collapsing.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Inflitrating PLA soldiers will be easily identifiable from facial features. This may easily attract another excuse by AFG Talebs and local resistance to turn against these PLA items. A few pictures of killed PLA soldiers in the hands of the Talebs could be most damaging to PRC globally. What they might be doing there is to protect and perhaps even remove their own nuke or missile placements in NA. It is unlikely that they will go into action directly and visibly on behalf of the Islamabad regime.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

abhishek_sharma wrote:USAID: Rajiv Shah did not visit a terrorist run camp in Pakistan

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... n_pakistan
abhishek_sharma wrote:I think they are framing Rajiv Shah because of his Indian origin.
Lots of takleef to bakis considering a sdre overseeing the aid to them. :((

From the above article---
But although Shah is technically the highest-ranking U.S. official to visit the flood area, the U.S. response is actually being coordinated by the office of Richard Holbrooke, President Obama's special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan. In the immediate aftermath of the Haiti earthquake, in contrast, USAID was formally in the lead, and the agency ran a "war room" to coordinate relief efforts across the U.S. government.
State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley confirmed that "responsibility would continue to rest with Richard Holbrooke" in managing the aid effort, adding that Shah continues to play a pivotal role.

However the uncle is very careful to lessen this takleef--

Why does half broke plays a important role--
The politics in Pakistan are more complex than in Haiti, however, and Holbrooke's office may be better positioned to manage the interagency effort this time around. The Pakistan aid effort "comes within a broader strategy in terms of the nature of our relationship with Pakistan, as well as supporting Pakistan in its own efforts to deal with the extremist elements within its borders," noted Crowley. "So our strategy with respect to Pakistan is broader than is the case with Haiti."
why are bakis better than haiti?
There is also a functioning government in Pakistan to work with, which was not the case in Haiti
:roll:
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

abhishek_sharma wrote:From the floods, Pakistan's next generation emerges

http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... on_emerges
Many of the young bakis are RAPEs children staying outside the land of pure. many use internet social networking to keep in touch. wonder how they manage inside bakistan where power shortages are rampant and then coordinate relief in flood affected areas.

yeah good media exposure/PR for them in western media to GUBO further.
careful sdres in western world, you might be asked to donate :lol: for the land of the pure.
good luck to them.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

N^3: good observation, given the criticality of the NA/Gilgit to secure not the KKH but the road from Xinjiang to Tibet, the PLA must be very jittery right now. forget all that hogwash about access to warm water ports - thats a russian thing, not a chinese thing. sounds like kashmiris across the LOC are really trying to bring true the "azad" part - no doubt causing the TSPA to stoke up the heat in the srinagar valley with the sunni hoodlums - which in a roundabout way is another manifestation of the shia-sunni thing and is about paque self preservation?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

arnab wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/world ... ml?_r=1&hp
The government’s estimates of the damage are equally grim. More than 5,000 miles of roads and railways have been washed away, along with some 7,000 schools and more than 400 health facilities.

Just to build about 500 miles of road in war-ravaged Afghanistan, the United States spent $500 million and several years, according to the Web site of the United States Agency for International Development.
In war torn Afghanisthan the costs are astronomical, but in pissful bakistan it should be less as 3A's are present
And the agency has spent $200 million to rebuild just 56 schools, 19 health facilities and other services since the momentous earthquake in the Pakistani-controlled portion of Kashmir in 2005
Building a primary school and primary heath care facility with may be 1-2 good hospitals and other basic services.etc etc that too in the land of pure. Smacks of monumental corruption :shock: :shock: how much does dus percenti take :mrgreen:

What the waters (Allah)have not destroyed, rescue workers have been forced to, in some cases. In the southern provinces, Pakistani government workers (under TSPA directions)pointed out places where they had to blow up roads, embankments and even the railway line to steer the flow of water away from the larger towns.(think shahbaz airbase in jacobabad under Ameriki)
3A's are now destroying the land of pure :rotfl:

Great chunks of the famed Karakoram Highway — a celebrated feat of high-altitude engineering built by the Chinese over two decades — have disappeared as cliffs fell away in the torrent. The route, which winds hundreds of miles from the Chinese border in the Himalayas to the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, may now be impassable for years, officials said.
hope the panda access to gwadar is permanently buried in the himalayas.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Sadler wrote: I scrolled through other articles on this page, when i discovered this porki bile.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2010_pg3_2

COMMENT: India bearing gifts —Zafar Hilaly
The writer is a former ambassador.

.........The amount that Manmohan Singh offered Pakistan’s 20 million displaced was $ 5 million, widely regarded as negligible, actually a pittance, considering it was the worst flood in living memory anywhere in the world............More so when they learnt how well the Indian economy is performing.

.........“We knew that a bania will always remain a bania, but now a Sikh has become a bania.” Another wrote, “Remember we will owe India nothing, not even sympathy in death.”
from the article---
But then, Indian Muslim journalists, with one or two notable exceptions, seem to believe that the only way to assure the majority community of India that their loyalties should remain beyond suspicion is by heaping abuse on Pakistan.Possibly also because it helps them boast, as much to themselves as to other Indian Muslims, that at the time of independence their fathers made the right choice by staying on in India.
feeling upset that the partition was a wrong decision. :rotfl:
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

S Sridhar, Surinder,

Thanks for the welcome back!

S Sridhar,

Yes the post-partition leadership vacuum is something I've often pointed to as the original entry point of the PA in to political power, but that was over 50 years ago! While the civilian Pakistani political establishment is only slightly better organised than it was back then, the PA has also produced its own enormous of failures, but this has been largely airbrushed out of public discourse until relatively recently. It's something that is vital in cutting the PA down to size.

Surinder,
Thanks yes, it was a very good trip. I wouldn't say that there was no internet service, just too limited and inconvenient for activity on BRF.

N,

The dribble of revelations over the last few years prepared the ground for the release of these US Army reports. Plus of course the classified briefings on the Hill meant that the question of how to deal with PA's double games was something that was wrestled with behind closed doors. I would say that the Kerry-Lugar bill was one response to PA duplcity on one hand, and the problem of access to Afghanistan and Pakistani nuclear materials on the other. On the one hand you have elements of the USG going after Pakistan's dearest Afghan proxy, the Haqqanis with a special pleasure, but on the other you have people who think that bringing the Pakistanis to the table in the negotiations over Afghan power-sharing means that they should focus on the more independent jihadi players. In other words, there is a real lack of clarity over what should be done.

The problem of treacherous allies is not confined to Pakistan. There have been persistent problems in Iraq too with local allies who have sometimes literally shot Americans in the back, and who have diverted arms and money to equip the very people that US troops must fight. It hasn't stopped the flow of money and arms either.

The *public* response on the other hand has been to deepen the desire to get out of the war, which after the leaks seems more unwinnable than ever. The public response to a catastrophe on the scale of the Tsunami, Haiti etc has been incredibly muted. People just aren't giving in the way they even gave for the Kashmir earthquakes, and the reasons are obvious.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted.

In their desperation to appease the Islamic Republic of Pakistan the US and Australia have thrown the common sense need of being ultra vigilant about ensuring that aid provided to the Islamic Republic is not diverted to terrorist organistions, to the winds:

1. USAID chief visits ‘camp run by JuD’

2. Australian aid going to terrorist-funded camp
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Neela wrote: Pakistan is staring at anarchy, looting and widespread violence in smaller towns before the end of the year!

I do hope and pray 2011 is the year !
Don't hold your breath. Pakistan has seen worse crises. They are survivors. They know that you have to start lying hard and fast and their 3.5 will definitely rescue them. Pakistan's real failure will come only when India achieves an economy that is a decent percentage of the US economy making US aid irrelevant.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Well - need to start nailing lies ..
http://www.samaa.tv/News24721-No_change ... hreat.aspx
No change seen in Pakistan's view of India threat
Upadated on: 27 Aug 10 07:59 PM
The Wall Street Journal said this month Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency had decided for the first time in the country's history that militants had overtaken India as the greatest threat to national security.

But the security official suggested this was a misinterpretation of the stance of the Pakistan army, which views the threat from militants and India in very different ways, rather than comparing them against each other.

"These are two mutually exclusive threats. The magnitude, the type, is quite different. One is an internal threat which is insidious, difficult to quantify. It is a clear and present danger. This is a very serious threat," he said. "The other is a conventional threat. What has India done, politically and militarily, for this threat to have been reduced?"