MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Danell
BRFite -Trainee

Re: MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

Post by Danell »

Viv S wrote: Yes, R&D for the EF was very expensive, but overall they delivered a better fighter at roughly the same price (far below potential but that's a different story).
The leaks from the Swiss Competition (EF / Rafale / Gripen) published this year by the Neue Zurcher Zeitung and Avianews revealed that the Typhoon was by far the most expensive of the 3 fighters there ...the Gripen being obviously the cheapest.
The first link you've posted puts the Eurofighter and Rafale at par. That's still not quite accurate -

Rafale - €40 billion - 180 aircraft - €220 million each
Eurofighter - €80 billion - 560 aircraft - €150 million each

€80 billion is a ballpark figure I've taken - Britain has spent €32 billion, Germany €23 billion. Since they own about 2/3rds of Eurofighter Gmbh, the total figure is likely to be in the vicinity of €80 billion. Though these figures are quite a bit on the higher side. Also I haven't excluded VAT from the Rafale; I'm assuming the BAe, EADS, Alenia didn't get get a tax write-off either.
Better fighter overall ? well i dont know ;)

Only 3 things:
- The Rafale got a better final ranking than the Typhoon in every contests they had to compete together ... like Netherlands and Singapore.
- Until now, results from international exercises like the UAE ATLC or Solenzara would rather show a Rafale superiority. Some could say that french squadron commanders and pilots are liars, what i doubt , but the truth is the RAF was never been able to precisely dismiss these results or to show us something else ... Of course, one must take into account the pilots, the rules of engagement but ....
- The solo displays of the 2 aircrafts demonstrate an higher Rafale maneuverability. Not a surprise if the Rafale won against the Typhoon (and others) the Best Solo Display award and the Royal Air Marshall Ben Crowley Millins (audience award) for its first participation in RIAT in 2009.

No definitive evidence above but we are still waiting something concrete which could highlight the Typhoon over the Rafale.

About the cost, i won't even waste my time to quote here others sources about the overall cost of the EF program ... And it's obvious that if you want to know the unit program cost you have to divide the overall cost by the final goal agreed between governments and industrials, even if it's still officially 286 units for the Rafale when there are much doubts about the EF tranche 3B...

In fact we want to know the price offered to India and then we have only 2 kind of sources:
- The competition in which the two planes are competing together like Switzerland (even if its now postponed).
- The last contractual price paid per aircraft by the main customers:
* Rafale last known price: 72,7 millions euros (for 11 new Rafale, among those ordered in 2009, to be delivered earlier between 2011 and 2013)
http://www.lexpansion.com/entreprise/la ... 39880.html
* EF last known price: 80,3 millions (for 112 EF ordered in 2009)
http://www.defencetalk.com/9-billion-eu ... ned-20854/

So the omnirole aircraft that has unquestionably more capabilities and even an aircraft carrier version seems currently less expensive to buy ;)
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Christopher Sidor wrote:Rafael is a good and capable fighter. But the thing that is holding it back is its price. Even if Rafael offers FULL ToT, and i mean complete ToT, then also its operational cost as well as acquisition cost are high. In Kargil war, IAF modified certain of its French fighters, for certain operations. These modifications were not allowed in the agreement which we had with French. After the Kargil war when we told the French about it, they were cool about it. This freedom will only be available with Mig-35 and not with EFT/Grippen and certainly not with F/A-18. However on a related note, after Kargil war when we went for up gradation of our Mirage fighters, the French conduct was not exactly constructive.

We should also consider the fact that the French are the supreme mercenaries. While they have sold us the Scorpene submarines, they have also sold the pakis the agosta submarines. Further they have been on the fore front of the campaign to lift the Chinese arm embargo. So tomorrow we should not be surprised to see the Chinks having a counter to Rafael's formidable capability. It might very well have been secretly supplied by the French to the Chinks. Or the French might do some training or counter terrorism exercise with the chinks where Rafael is exposed entirely to the chinks. Something similar what the Pakis did with the Chinks w.r.t. F-16.
French won't do no such thing, esp. with the chinkis. Since WW2, they've kept their independent supplies of all major equipment from rest of NATO despite being helped by some major powers that are part of NATO and were it's 'Allies' in WW2. Do you remember the Red Flag exercises with MKI? French were snooping around everyone with their rafales (just as you'd expect anyone else to do).
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Danell wrote:
Better fighter overall ? well i dont know ;)
Heh heh.
Only 3 things:
- The Rafale got a better final ranking than the Typhoon in every contests they had to compete together ... like Netherlands and Singapore.
Well back then I was plugging for the Rafale as well. The Eurofighter hadn't matured as an multi-role platform. It has today.
- Until now, results from international exercises like the UAE ATLC or Solenzara would rather show a Rafale superiority. Some could say that french squadron commanders and pilots are liars, what i doubt , but the truth is the RAF was never been able to precisely dismiss these results or to show us something else ... Of course, one must take into account the pilots, the rules of engagement but ....
Well... its not really a question of the AdA being liars. If the EF T3 were to repeat the exercise (with the Alamo-C), but with the roles and pilots interchanged with the Rafale, and still lost I'd concede the Rafale to be the winner.
- The solo displays of the 2 aircrafts demonstrate an higher Rafale maneuverability. Not a surprise if the Rafale won against the Typhoon (and others) the Best Solo Display award and the Royal Air Marshall Ben Crowley Millins (audience award) for its first participation in RIAT in 2009.
Can we conclude the Rafale is more maneuverable from an airshow display? And if somehow that could be proven, can we extrapolate that result to all airspeed regimes?
No definitive evidence above but we are still waiting something concrete which could highlight the Typhoon over the Rafale.
Well I can say for certain -

- the EF is more agile. It has demonstrated supercruise at every competition. And if the company is to be believed it can do Mach 1.5 clean and 1.3 with stores.
- the Captor-E may enter service after the RBE-2 AA but will have a higher power output and field about 40% more T/R modules.
About the cost, i won't even waste my time to quote here others sources about the overall cost of the EF program ... And it's obvious that if you want to know the unit program cost you have to divide the overall cost by the final goal agreed between governments and industrials, even if it's still officially 286 units for the Rafale when there are much doubts about the EF tranche 3B...
True enough. But I didn't include the projected numbers because the French MoD still has the option of cutting further orders. After all they did reduce it from 294 to 286.

And yes the British haven't committed themselves to the Tranche 3B but that's mostly been offset by the EFs exported to Austria and Saudi Arabia (15 + 72 = 87). The overall cost will still end up being less than the Rafale.
In fact we want to know the price offered to India and then we have only 2 kind of sources:
- The competition in which the two planes are competing together like Switzerland (even if its now postponed).
- The last contractual price paid per aircraft by the main customers:
* Rafale last known price: 72,7 millions euros (for 11 new Rafale, among those ordered in 2009, to be delivered earlier between 2011 and 2013)
http://www.lexpansion.com/entreprise/la ... 39880.html
* EF last known price: 80,3 millions (for 112 EF ordered in 2009)
http://www.defencetalk.com/9-billion-eu ... ned-20854/
But the these are not the relevant (at least in the EF's case) production costs. The cost of development of the Tranche 3 is included in the outlay.

In fact the Saudi sale gives a better idea about the production cost - €70 million each including complements.
So the omnirole aircraft that has unquestionably more capabilities and even an aircraft carrier version seems currently less expensive to buy ;)
Unquestionably more? Come now. Its unquestionable advantages are just two - operational range & the availability of a carrier variant.

Eurofighter consortium is willing to give India the kind of participation in the EF program that France wasn't willing to give UK and Germany (FEFA program) let alone India. In addition, the contracts in the EF project were drawn up with so much 'foresight' and 'long-term planning' that no one envisioned any cutting of orders which therefore invokes serious penalty clauses. With cutting going on left and right, India has got more leverage with the Eurofighter Gmbh than with Rafale International (see I got it right this time :wink:).
Sandeep_ghosh
BRFite

Post by Sandeep_ghosh »

Dear BR members,

I have a hypothetical question. On a one on one WVR combat out of MRCA, which aircraft will win .... just WVR missiles and guns.... No BVR AESA stuff...
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

Sandeep_ghosh wrote:Dear BR members,

I have a hypothetical question. On a one on one WVR combat out of MRCA, which aircraft will win .... just WVR missiles and guns.... No BVR AESA stuff...
it will be a close fight between mig-35 and eurofighter,,,,
eurofighter wins if the tvc ej-200 comes in,,
here is my rating in dogfight'
1.eurofighter[tvc]
2.mig-35
3.rafale
4.gripen
5.super hornet
6.f-16 super viper
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

The side which has better trained pilots and better tactics.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article907713.ece
The Hindu
German Ambassador to India Thomas Matussek said at the Indian Council for World Affairs here on Tuesday said his country whole-heartedly supported India's bid for a permanent seat on the UNSC as the existing composition reflected the geo-political realities of the 1940s and not the present global architecture, which had changed since then.

He acknowledged the emergence of trade and economics focussed organisations such as the G-7 and the G-20, but pointed out that the U.N. was the only body with wide acceptability. “Look at the U.S. In Iraq, without U.N. legitimacy, it could not get much far,'' he pointed out.

On the keenly contested multi billion dollar tender for supply of 126 fighter aircraft to India, Mr. Matussek said the four European partner nations in the Eurofighter project, were offering a “real political partnership'' to India in the programme. “We are here for the long haul... We are even forgoing the End-user Monitoring Agreement (EUMA) and offering a complete transfer of technology. We would like India to work closely with us in the future development of the aircraft,'' he said.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

UK Defense Secretary Meets Indian Counterpart
Fox, who is the first serving UK Secretary of State for Defense to visit India since 2005, also met other Cabinet Ministers and senior national security officials. Eurofighter Typhoon, an European consortium EADS' fighter jet in which Britain is a partner, is currently competing with other nations in the $11 billion Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) tenders that the Indian Air Force (IAF) had floated in 2007 and a decision on the deal is expected in another six months.

During a lecture on "UK defense and strategic review" on Monday, Fox extolled the virtues of Eurofighter Typhoon which, he said, had performed excellently in field trials held by the IAF.
Fox promotes Typhoon in India visit
Defence Secretary Liam Fox has met with the Indian defence minister Shri AK Antony in a two day visit to Delhi aimed at starting regular ministerial dialogue on defence issues with India. Fox is also promoting the Eurofighter Typhoon in the country as India looks to buy 126 multirole combat aircraft. Fox visited the New Delhi offices of defence company Cassidian to discuss and promote the Eurofighter Typhoon during his visit.

"Our two countries have long historical connections and strong ties between our people. We have overlapping interests in trade and in security, which are a strong basis for our future relationship," said Fox. "The new British government supports the promotion of a stronger, secure and more prosperous India playing its rightful role in global affairs."
India jets deal set to reap 2,000 jobs
MORE than 2,000 jobs could be created if the Eurofighter Typhoon consortium agrees to sell jets and blueprints to India.
The prospects for the deal look good, however, with the Typhoon rated in the top two trials of the six aircraft shortlisted by the Indian Air Force.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

if India joins the EF consortium, presumably the name will have to be changed from "Euro" to something else?! Perhaps the Eurasian Fighter?
No doubt the marketing byt's are busy dreaming up a name right now...
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 976738.cms
Economic Times
Liam Fox, the British Defence Secretary, is in New Delhi to offer India joint missile and other weapon technology research programmes and press it to sign a 7-billion-pound fighter jet contract of Eurofighter Typhoon consortium.

Admitting that the Typhoon, which he is trying to sell, was expensive, Fox said the consortium of companies from four nations behind the aircraft -- the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy -- would offer more than "just hardware".

The prospect of India aligning its Air Force more closely with the "battle-hardened" Royal Air Force (RAF) of the UK, with experience in Afghanistan and Iraq, was also on offer, he told the newspaper.
Now we are talking! :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

no bvr/aesa then it may/may-not be the OLS-35 system that kills! we have no data on this puppy and its operational capability in all-weather situation especially in the night.
Henrik
BRFite

Post by Henrik »

darshhan wrote:

Exactly.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

darshhan wrote:

I believe you must have added that for equally skilled pilots Sandeep. Or pilots from same side in a mock fight.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

saptarishi wrote:

it will be a close fight between mig-35 and eurofighter,,,,
eurofighter wins if the tvc ej-200 comes in,,
here is my rating in dogfight'
1.eurofighter[tvc]
2.mig-35
3.rafale
4.gripen
5.super hornet
6.f-16 super viper
IMO 5, 6 should be interchanged in your list.
Sandeep_ghosh
BRFite

Post by Sandeep_ghosh »

OK friends Let me Rephrase my question:

Which of the MMRCA will win a WVR DOGFIGHT up close and personal... WVR missiles and gun kills type scenario...

Euro typhoon
MIG 35
F16 IN
Dassault Rafale
F/A 18 E/F SH
JAS Gripen

and just for fun

lets also compare whichever aircraft wins on your list in a dogfight scenario with :
SU 30 MKK
F16 Blk 52
FC20
JF 17

Assume same pilot training levels ... just evaluating the best dogfighter of the lot
MarcH
BRFite

Post by MarcH »

You are asking the wrong questions. No pilot will go into a dogfight. Best at playing out their kinematics and then going in for the kill if the opponent runs out of gas are the Tiffy and Sukhoi, closely followed by Rafale then F16/52 and the rest.

Have a look at the engagements between Flankers and Fulcrums in Ethiopian/Eritrean war.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Sandeep_ghosh wrote:OK friends Let me Rephrase my question:

Which of the MMRCA will win a WVR DOGFIGHT up close and personal... WVR missiles and gun kills type scenario...

Euro typhoon
MIG 35
F16 IN
Dassault Rafale
F/A 18 E/F SH
JAS Gripen

and just for fun

lets also compare whichever aircraft wins on your list in a dogfight scenario with :
SU 30 MKK
F16 Blk 52
FC20
JF 17

Assume same pilot training levels ... just evaluating the best dogfighter of the lot
Sandeep ji , It is very difficult to point out which aircraft will trump others in a dogfight.Yes you can definitely compare their maneouvrability and agility.In this case Eurofighter and Mig 35 would probably be the best followed closely by Rafale.

But agility and maneouvrability is only one aspect of a dogfight.There are other factors involved as well.I will give you an example.Years ago I was reading an interview of a US pilot.It was early 1990s.Germany had just united a few years back and the German Airforce had inherited the Mig -29s of East Germany.So American pilots got a great chance to practice against Mig-29s and compare them with their own aircrafts.This pilot used to fly F-16s.He said that in 90% engagements between Mig-29s and F-16s in WVR(or dogfight scenario) , Mig-29s won.But according to him maneouvrability or agility was not the main reason for Mig-29s dominating so completely(He also said that at low speeds Mig-29 was more maneuvrable than F-16 and at high speeds it was F-16 which was better.).

Instead the reasons for Mig-29's victories were Helmet mounted cueing systems and R-73(Archer)missiles.Because of these two things Mig-29s were extremely hard to defeat in any dogfight.So the point is one or two pieces of technology can make such a difference.In fact even if aircraft is not that capable but is equipped with a missile like Python or Aim-9x sidewinder , it has a fair chance to defeat the opposition.

Effectiveness in a WVR fight or even a BVR fight depends on the whole system(Plane,weapons,sensors,pilot etc) and not just the aircraft.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It depends on how many times an IR/other homing seeker is either destroyed or evaded.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Lalmohan wrote:if India joins the EF consortium, presumably the name will have to be changed from "Euro" to something else?! Perhaps the Eurasian Fighter?
No doubt the marketing byt's are busy dreaming up a name right now...
:D :D :D

If the Eurofighter Typhoon wins the Indian MMRCA contract, then how about renaming the Indian version Cyclone? (That's what the mega storms in the Indian Ocean are called: Cyclones)

Eurofighter should be renamed to Hindustanfighter as in HF.... :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Jumping the gun I would say. Why not wait for Ajai Shukla to say something? :twisted:
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Euro typhoon
MIG 35
F16 IN
Dassault Rafale
F/A 18 E/F SH
JAS Gripen

and just for fun

SU 30 MKK
F16 Blk 52
FC20
JF 17

There are many factors that have to be clarified and then only a comparison can be made- What speeds will the two fighters approach each other at for the merge? And what altitude? Because at supersonic to high transonic speeds, the Typhoon will be hard to beat. But at lower speeds, the Super Hornet and the MiG-35 will be hard to beat. Will they be far from their bases and require carrying drop tanks to simulate long distance missions? How will the visibility be? Visibility is important because if it is a day with low visibility, then the pilots will have to rely on onboard radars or IRST to track others and then ID them positively before firing any WVR missiles. After all positive ID is absolutely essential to prevent fratricides, and even with IFF there are mistakes made. Here the fighters without IRST (passive detection capability) will be at a disadvantage since they will advertise their presence by having their radars switched on- keep in mind that having a radar switched on is like having a torch switched on in a huge hall with no lights on. You may be able to see better, but you'll also clearly pin-point your own position to others who may be sitting in the dark with their torch off. Will AWACS support be provided to both sides since it will make a huge difference to the both at the beginning. With AWACS datalinked to the fighters and providing the tactical picture, the pilots can keep their fighter’s nose cold and only use their passive sensors, making them that much more stealthy before they come into WVR range.

Without looking at the way in which this fight would be initiated, at what altitudes and at what speeds, you cannot predict anything since most of the fighters are 9 G capable, with AESA radars that will allow early detection of the bogey and passive detection that will allow early identification and then, passive tracking. Each has modern RWR and MAWS that will trigger warnings when they are painted by enemy radar and also warn the pilot of approaching IR missiles. Will enemy SAM sites be simulated as being around the possible zone of battle? This is a realistic threat scenario and how efficiently a fighter can avoid such SAM sites while intercepting another fighter is another topic.

Anyway, assuming that they’re all fully developed- which is an assumption- many aren’t fully developed to the specs that the MRCA has to be developed to when it is delivered.

The F-16IN is not to be brushed away at all. It is still very much a 9 G fighter, with the JHMCS and the AIM-9X already integrated and the APG-80 and integrated IRST and FLIR, all fully mature in UAE service. It may be heavy but its engine produces enough thrust to keep its energy up in a turning fight. There is enough sensor fusion for the pilot to be able to approach with radar and IRST on, get the general direction of the target and any other threats accompanying it (the tactical picture), then switch off the radar, get tracking data from the IRST, again presented on the same MFD, thus allowing for least amount of pilot workload while he concentrates on formulating tactics..it will allow him to approach with his radar off, confirm the target on his IRST sensor and then fire off the AIM-9X with the JHMCS all while himself turning away to avoid being targeted in return.

The Rafale's nose pointing ability has been highly regarded, and so has that of the Super Hornet, which would have no issues in the slower speed regime. The Rafale also has the most unique display- the central MFD, one that is very close to the pilot, somewhat reminiscent of the old days when radar pictures were presented on screens with covers to allow the pilot to see the picture in bright sunshine without glare. This MFD is collimated to infinity and presents the tactical picture to the pilot, all fused together from the SPECTRA suite, the RBE2 radar and the OSF. It seems like it presents a very simple to understand picture of the tactical situation, which will allow the pilot to very quickly understand the particular situation he is in. With the OSF he can ID the target from a distance (BVR distance) and then track it passively without any inputs from the AESA RBE2. Then, the MICA IR can be fired from almost BVR ranges which means that he can choose to avoid a merge if he so wishes. That in itself is a huge advantage. If he does have to merge then again, the Rafale has a very good chance. Excellent aerodynamic design, with a blended wing-body and close coupled canard design that will contribute lift in addition to the wings, the Rafale has very high instantaneous turn rates that will allow the pilot to point the nose quickly if he has enough energy, else use afterburner. Anyway, the Rafale will be very difficult to out-turn, that is for sure. It’s an out and out 9 G fighter after all. Its disadvantage lies in the fact that currently, among the MRCA contenders, it is the only one with no HMDS, but I presume that by the 2015 timeline, a HMDS should've been integrated on it, to use the MICA IR for close range shots. Maybe Dassault have offered the Thales Top-Owl F with the Rafale for the MRCA, not sure.

Slow speeds, high alpha and tight turning maneuvers are the specialty of the Super Hornet, especially if it’s lightly loaded with only WVR missiles and no other ordnance. It accelerates slower than the F-16IN and the others, so the Super Hornet pilot will look to use the initial pass as judiciously as possible when there is maximum energy available. This is one area where it falls behind the rest, especially the Typhoon and the F-16IN and definitely behind the Rafale and maybe the Gripen NG as well. Another question was relating to the Super Hornet airframe being 9 G capable or not as Boeing brochures claim it is an 8 G jet. But it was mentioned in an AW&ST article that the Super Hornet being offered to the IAF is a 9 G capable fighter, with the 8 G limit being applied by the FCS as a way to reduce airframe stress, not due to the design load factor being 8G. As it is, a land-based Super Hornet will be suffering less stress during landings than carrier landing Super Hornets which take a real punishment and lose fatigue life due to that anyway.
The JHMCS allows the Super Hornet pilot to aim the AIM-9X at very high off-bore sight angles and in some ways that overcomes the whole maneuverability aspect since you don't need to be in the best position to take that WVR shot. These are all-aspect missiles with IIR seekers that are hard to confuse with simple chaff and flares. But it will find it harder to match the rest in pure performance terms at higher speeds. The Super Hornet pilot, lacking IRST will be at a disadvantage. It has no passive detection means and will have to use its AESA APG-79 to detect, track and provide firing solutions to the weapons computer (which in turn will provide them to the AIM-9X). That means that Super Hornet will advertise its presence right from the beginning to the end. The APG-79 has multiple close-combat modes that allow tracking and optimal firing solutions (as do the others) but this is the most mature AESA out there alongwith the APG-80, so some of this would’ve been shown to the IAF personnel evaluating it. It is supposed to get an internal IRST to be developed on a fuselage blister, like other fighters as part of a Super Hornet International roadmap. But that is somewhere down the line and may not be ready for the first few batches of the MRCA.
There was a plan to develop an IRST on the centerline drop tank, which I had been criticizing a lot earlier since it compromises performance- you generally cannot maneuver at close to 9 G with the drop tank on and if you jettison it, you are jettisoning a very valuable and costly piece of equipment alongwith it. I don’t think that the IAF would even want such a crappy piece of equipment as a drop tank mounted IRST.

The MiG-35 would need to use the French Top-Owl-F HMDS (already integrated on the MiG-29K) and then use it in combination with the high-offbore sight R-73E (since R-74 is nowhere to be seen). Currently I'm not sure which one they've offered to the IAF for the MRCA competition, but my guess is the Top-Owl F. the MiG-35 has the advantage over the MiG-29K that it has no mid-wing hinges that reduce the wing stiffness, so its a full 9 G fighter. But it also has a heavier empty weight than the vanilla MiG-29s that is such a strong aerodynamic performer-but makes up for it with slightly more powerful RD-33MK engines. Better and sharper LERX design on the MiG-35 (compared to earlier MiG-29 models) may also help in high alpha maneuvers. And the tell-tale smoke that trails a MiG-29 when it is being used at full throttle is not an issue anymore either, which is a bonus at WVR combat, since it reduces visibility of the fighter for enemies by a significant margin. It can use the Zhuk-AE to get the initial picture of the target's elevation and bearing, and then switch to the OLS-35 to passively keep track while the Zhuk-AE is switched off. Sensor fusion is an area where the MiG-35 likely lacks compared to the rest. If that is the case, the pilot will be at somewhat of a disadvantage as he’ll need to make sense of the tactical picture while looking at multiple MFDs that present radar, enemy emitter and IRST data and then mentally combine them to gain the full picture. So while aerodynamically it may not lag behind the others, I’m not quite so sure about how it will function as an integrated weapon in the hands of a pilot.

Typhoon is renowned for its excess thrust which is an advantage in that it allows for maximum energy when approaching the merge but also allows the energy to be regained very quickly to allow for a second or third pass. That combined with the very high instantaneous turn rates would mean that even if the first shot is missed, the Typhoon would be able to turn very quickly into its opponent, trading energy for positional advantage. It would use its recently displayed HMDS (the one with puss sore like LEDs on the top) alongwith the short range IRIS-T very high agility missile that can also be cued at high off-bore sight angles. It can also use the ASRAAM which has the advantage of a larger range (thanks to a bigger motor diameter) but it isn't quite as agile as the IRIS-T. It has sensor fusion as well, basically presenting data merged from the radar and the PIRATE IRST (which has reputedly a very good range, but still hasn't been fully developed or operationalised). Overall aerodynamically great and kinematically very powerful (which will allow sustained turn rates to be high as well) and capable, and unlikely to be dominated by any other fighter.

Gripen IN is also a 9 G fighter and would use the IRIS-T or the Python-5 (if the IAF specified it) with the Cobra HMDS. Being the smallest of the MRCA contenders, it has the visual advantage (which would matter if the visibility was poor and the opposing fighter didn't detect and track it with the IRST). This is actually a very big advantage if the fight progressed to low altitudes or at tree top heights. This advantage was talked about by an F-16 pilot who simulated dog-fights against a Bulgarian MiG-21. The MiG-21 had absolutely no avionics advantage over the F-16, yet the F-16 pilot struggled to get a good visual on the MiG-21 as it zoomed around at very low altitudes, blending with the background. The F-16’s radar also struggled to get a lock-on as the terrain kept interfering and this was hardly a problem for the MiG-21 which anyway lacked a good radar set. The F-16 finally managed to win but not without a struggle. I had posted excerpts of that article on BRF earlier.

The Gripen doesn’t have the disadvantage of poor avionics. In fact quite the opposite. It will have the Skyward-NG IRST being developed by Selex and will be quite a handful in close combat for sure. The ES-05A Raven will likely detect the target at BVR distance. Excellent sensor fusion between the AESA ES-05A Raven and IRST combined with the good and simple data presentation means that the pilot will have a very good view of the tactical situation and can devise the best approach to the merge. On board radar warning receivers and the MAWS (which was tested some time ago and automatically engaged countermeasures) mean that when targeted itself, the Gripen IN will be able to defend itself very vigorously. IMO, will be a very potent fighter in WVR scenarios thanks to the F-414G providing good excess thrust when required (it is a very reliable engine that can be pushed very hard), combined with the high instantaneous turn and roll rates. Saab was studying algorithms that would basically prevent mid-air collisions as well, and while it was a somewhat preliminary stage back then, it may be a possible upgrade for the Gripen NG at some later date. Collision avoidance (both into ground and into other fighters in mid-air) systems would be a HUGE advantage. I would really go so far as to say that true carefree handling would only be achieved when such systems are operational and mature.

I guess thats the basic description one would want regarding WVR capabilities as they are for the MRCA candidates.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

^^ An excellent and quite exhaustive post.

Just a couple of comments -

-the AESA radars' LPI characteristics may enable them to be used more liberally than conventional PD or PESA radars. And at least for a while the APG-79 and APG-80 will retain an advantage vis-a-vis the newer European and Russian AESAs.

- the twin engined aircraft may have a slight disadvantage with respect to their thermal signatures. Also the supercruising EF will have advantage with a reduced need for afterburners.

- carrying a higher weapons load will impact the T/W ratio of the lighter fighters relatively more. So, if the Gripen is going into a dogfight with any air-to-ground munitions(or fuel tanks), it'll almost certainly have to jettison them while the Eurofighter can still chance it.
Danell
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Danell »

Viv S wrote: ...
Well this time too i won't waste much time, all my points are still valid because they rely on facts: ranking from competitions (i forgot the Swiss technical evaluation in ...2008), results from exercises, display of maneuverability; last price known... as you are just using empty words like :
a more agile Typhoon
[...] In the opinion of French pilots who have confronted the European aircraft, it's above all the quality of the electric flight controls [FBW] of the French fighter who makes the difference. In dogfight, Rafale can quickly point its nose to the threat, while less degrading its energy than the Eurofighter does.[...]
The AdlA has been able to experience this superiority in dogfight in September 2009, during an exercise organized by the French and British headquarters, during a deployment on the Solenzara airbase in Corsica .[...] In total, 4 different engagements will take place in Corsica, for a total of 9 wins against 1 defeat for the french fighter. [...]

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4664/55922525.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1609/68450964.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4281/14300019.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8599/76080829.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3302/40848172.jpg
It has demonstrated supercruise at every competition.
Big deal , some evidence than the Rafale can't supercruise ? :wink:
the Captor-E may enter service after the RBE-2 AA but will have a higher power output and field about 40% more T/R modules
What a concrete highlight ! let's stick on facts: In Europe, Thales is several years ahead, period.
As Thales has also a roadmap to upgrade its RBE-2 AA (GaN, power..) i guess we will be able to compare only when the Captor-E will be operational, so it means 2015 ... at best ...
Its unquestionable advantages are just two - operational range & the availability of a carrier variant
Really ? ATLC 2009:

[...]A large number of complex engagements have once again made the demonstration of the versatility of the french fighter. An example: during a bombing mission , the number 2 of a patrol of 4 Rafale dropped six AASM GPS guided on six different objectives, while firing 3 Mica on hostile tracks ... all in barely more than a minute. The debriefing will show that the 6 objectives, far from nearly 50 km, have been destroyed, while two enemy aircraft were shot down by French missiles.[...]
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7546/88749758.jp
Or
http://translate.google.fr/translate?js ... d%3D112314
More here about Rafale's standard SEAD capacities , efficience of sensors fusion, Spectra's capacities ... :
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... ost4942220
and so on..

Well i won't continue further this pissing contest ;) , the Typhoon and the Rafale are certainly 2 good combat aircrafts but for now nothing demonstrates that the Typhoon could be a more effective a more complete and a less expensive platform than the Rafale .. In fact , its quite the opposite :oops:
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Danell wrote: Well this time too i won't waste much time, all my points are still valid because they rely on facts: ranking from competitions (i forgot the Swiss technical evaluation in ...2008), results from exercises, display of maneuverability; last price known... as you are just using empty words like :
a more agile Typhoon
Huh? :-o I could've understood you disputing its maneuverability but agility? Its quite obvious that the Typhoon is more agile.
[...] In the opinion of French pilots who have confronted the European aircraft, it's above all the quality of the electric flight controls [FBW] of the French fighter who makes the difference. In dogfight, Rafale can quickly point its nose to the threat, while less degrading its energy than the Eurofighter does.[...]
The AdlA has been able to experience this superiority in dogfight in September 2009, during an exercise organized by the French and British headquarters, during a deployment on the Solenzara airbase in Corsica .[...] In total, 4 different engagements will take place in Corsica, for a total of 9 wins against 1 defeat for the french fighter. [...]

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4664/55922525.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1609/68450964.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4281/14300019.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8599/76080829.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3302/40848172.jpg
Its already been posted mate and like I said I'm not going to swallow the chest-thumping without details about the engagement being revealed. For example it wasn't until I read the fine print that I realized the Rafale's outranged the EF (assuming it was simulating the Aim-120C5) by about 30%. This exercise is far from the final word on a comparison, particularly with an AESA equipped EF.
It has demonstrated supercruise at every competition.
Big deal , some evidence than the Rafale can't supercruise ? :wink:
Can it? I've seen a grand total of one claim (on Dassault's website I think) that it can supercruise. And it doesn't give any specifics. Perhaps it might help Rafale's case if they were actually demonstrate it in those numerous air shows. Surely there's no point keeping it a state secret.
the Captor-E may enter service after the RBE-2 AA but will have a higher power output and field about 40% more T/R modules
What a concrete highlight ! let's stick on facts: In Europe, Thales is several years ahead, period.
As Thales has also a roadmap to upgrade its RBE-2 AA (GaN, power..) i guess we will be able to compare only when the Captor-E will be operational, so it means 2015 ... at best ...
Lets see - the Eurofighter has a larger nose, the Rafale has a roadmap. Well I can say for sure that Rafale International hasn't made an MMRCA pitch that includes GaN T/R modules, so its not going to be factored into the competition while the EF's 1400 T/R pitch will be.
[...]A large number of complex engagements have once again made the demonstration of the versatility of the french fighter. An example: during a bombing mission , the number 2 of a patrol of 4 Rafale dropped six AASM GPS guided on six different objectives, while firing 3 Mica on hostile tracks ... all in barely more than a minute. The debriefing will show that the 6 objectives, far from nearly 50 km, have been destroyed, while two enemy aircraft were shot down by French missiles.[...]
That's very slick but since ALL the competitors are fielding multi-mode AESA radars its a little lacking in the exclusivity department.
Well i won't continue further this pissing contest ;)
Alors au revoir.
Danell
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Danell »

Its already been posted mate and like I said I'm not going to swallow the chest-thumping without details about the engagement being revealed. For example it wasn't until I read the fine print that I realized the Rafale's outranged the EF (assuming it was simulating the Aim-120C5) by about 30%. This exercise is far from the final word on a comparison, particularly with an AESA equipped EF.
For your understanding..., this passage obviously refers to the series of dogfight (gun only) that took place in Corsica ;)
(so, the kind of exercice for which agility matters, whatever the ROE)
Same kind of answers btw, no evidences , no exemples, no links, only speculations... :wink:

अलविदा
kmc_chacko
BRFite

Post by kmc_chacko »

It is clear that IAF will have to counter 250+ FC-1 (JF-17),300+ J-10s,300+ J-11s

So, my point is why should we wast money for Technological superiority. will 1 EF can take on 4 or 5 JF-17s or J-10s. Because with 39.5 squadron we cannot counter at two fronts, we need atleast 50-60 squadron for a clear air superiority.

Since Chinese & Pakis will have same fighters in their inventory and with direct link through road, rail through their border and having such production speed, Chinese can easily make up for any losses of fighters, during course of fighting. It will be really difficult to IAF to take control over Pakis airspace. So, I feel GoI should conclude what they are trying to achieve.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Danell wrote:
For your understanding..., this passage obviously refers to the series of dogfight (gun only) that took place in Corsica ;)
(so, the kind of exercice for which agility matters, whatever the ROE)
Same kind of answers btw, no evidences , no exemples, no links, only speculations... :wink:

अलविदा
And here I thought you'd washed your hands of the debate. :wink:

First the article is from a French magazine, so I'm going to reach for my salt shaker.

Maybe the credit for these supposed victories goes the Rafale pilots. You may find this interesting -

Since induction, the Indian Navy had flown the Sea Harrier against all of the IAF's aircraft and achieved good results, especially against the Mirage-2000. INAS 300 had two opportunities to test their capabilities against the French Flotille 12F operating the vaunted Rafale-M during the "Varuna" exercises in 2002 and 2004. Most of the missions would involve the Sea Harrier playing as the attacker against a fleet of ships defended by Rafales operating from the Charles-de-gaulle. The initial outcome of these missions was somewhat predictable - the Rafales would easily pick up the Sea Harriers almost as soon as they took off from the Viraat, and call for a BVR-kill, ending the mission ! When these BVR calls became rather frustrating, missions were switched to WVR-combat which surprisingly proved to be the Rafale's undoing! Close-in, the Harriers were mostly not even visually picked up by the French pilots who hadn't noticed them until it was too late, also being unable to outturn their opponents for the most part. However, it was concluded that this was due to the precedence assigned to BVR by the French and their comparative lack of training for WVR engagements and not much due to the Sea Harrier itself. Pilots of INAS-300 concluded that had they piloted Rafales instead, they would be easily able to make mincemeat out of the Harrier under any condition. One would have noticed that the events and outcome of these exercises were almost similar to the performance of IAF Mirage-2000s against French Mirage-2000s of 1/12 ‘Cambresis’ during the joint exercise 'Garuda' in February 2003.

http://www.acig.org/exclusives/viraat/viraat_2.htm

Secondly, agility unlike maneuverability is not an abstract quality and doesn't vary with speed or altitude. The Eurofighter has a higher thrust to weight ratio and can supercruise. When the Rafale Inc. International starts at the very least claiming supercruise, one can get around to examining the idea that the Rafale compares with the EF in terms of agility.
Adam Paroo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Adam Paroo »

agility, at guns only dogfighting and mid to low alt, i think the super hornet and rafale would top the list
it will be interesting to see who makes the short list and i wouldnt rule out the gripen and f-16 at this stage

UAE speak very highly of their f-16/60 and a french general acknowledged some weaknesses of the rafale in comparison
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... ost5133158
Last edited by Gerard on 28 Nov 2010 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines
Kronop
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kronop »

Kartik wrote:The Gripen doesn’t have the disadvantage of poor avionics. In fact quite the opposite. It will have the Skyward-NG IRST being developed by Selex and will be quite a handful in close combat for sure. The ES-05A Raven will likely detect the target at BVR distance. Excellent sensor fusion between the AESA ES-05A Raven and IRST combined with the good and simple data presentation means that the pilot will have a very good view of the tactical situation and can devise the best approach to the merge. On board radar warning receivers and the MAWS (which was tested some time ago and automatically engaged countermeasures) mean that when targeted itself, the Gripen IN will be able to defend itself very vigorously. IMO, will be a very potent fighter in WVR scenarios thanks to the F-414G providing good excess thrust when required (it is a very reliable engine that can be pushed very hard), combined with the high instantaneous turn and roll rates. Saab was studying algorithms that would basically prevent mid-air collisions as well, and while it was a somewhat preliminary stage back then, it may be a possible upgrade for the Gripen NG at some later date. Collision avoidance (both into ground and into other fighters in mid-air) systems would be a HUGE advantage. I would really go so far as to say that true carefree handling would only be achieved when such systems are operational and mature.

I guess thats the basic description one would want regarding WVR capabilities as they are for the MRCA candidates.
A very good summary of the various contenders capabilities IMHO.

The small size of the Gripen is something that has been shown to be a relatively unexpected advantage in both BVR and WVR engagements in the international exercises such as Red Flag where the Gripen has been participating.

I think also that there is one aspect that may be overlooked in general, i.e. the leverage that proprietary technology can bring to the plate. It seems that the current (non AESA) radar of the Gripen C/D as well as the EWS system is causing problems.. As far as I can understand most western tech has been developed specifically to counter Russian/Eastern block technology, and up until a couple of years ago NATO exposure to Gripen proprietary system was minimal if not non existant.

One example of this was teh Hungarians first outing during Spring Flag 2007 in Sardinia, quoting Hungarian Airforce General Nandor Kilian:

"The jamming, Falcon 20 jammers of the NATO MEWSG (multi-service electronic warfare support group), had almost no effect on us – and that surprised a lot of people.”

“Other aircraft couldn’t see us – not on radar, not visually – and we had no jammers of our own with us. We got one Fox 2 kill on a F-16 who turned in between our two jets but never saw the second guy and it was a perfect shot.

Our weapons and tactics were limited by Red Force rules, and in an exercise like this the Red Force is always supposed to die, but even without our AMRAAMs and data links we got eight or 10 kills, including a Typhoon. Often we had no AWACS or radar support of any kind, just our regular onboard sensors – but flying like that, ‘free hunting’, we got three kills in one afternoon."

Granted the above quote is taken from http://www.gripen.com so it is bound to be striking a positive note but it is in line with the general experience from other joint exercises that the Swedish Airforce has been participating in.
Kronop
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kronop »

SAAB wins coastal surveillance system order in India.
http://www.saabgroup.com/en/About-Saab/ ... -in-India/
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

my congratulations to the saab group for no doubt excellent technology. of course with your intention to grow market share in india, it might be worth remembering that supplying weapons systems to hostile actors in the neighbourhood is not good for your longer term business interests
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Here are some interesting viewpoints and findings BVR/WVR:

"...According to Burton, the only reason Israel went after its two BVR kills was strong pressure from the U.S. to establish BVR doctrine. "
...The USS Stark could not defend itself against two Exocet sea-skimming missiles; USS Vincennes Aegis cruiser fired BVR at what its crew thought was an attacking fighter and downed an Iranian airliner; and two F-14s fired twice at intruding Libyan fighters, missing them BVR with radar-guided Sparrows and shooting them down within visual range with a Sparrow and a heat-seeking Sidewinder.

In the AMRAAM project office, Air Force Col. James Burton had been handed the job of collecting hard information on the effectiveness of missiles in air-to-air combat. Burton studied all 407 known missile kills made in the air since 1958 (except for the 1967 Middle East war and Pakistan's 1971 clash with India), focusing hard on the 2,014 missile firings made during the Vietnam War and the 1973 and 1982 Middle East skirmishes.

Burton fast became one of the most unpopular men in the Pentagon. He titled the briefing he gave on his findings "Letting Combat Results Shape the Next Air-to-Air Missile." His findings? Of more than 260 Arab aircraft knocked down by Israel in 1973, only five fell to Sparrows in 12 firings. Of the 632 Sparrows fired in all the wars Burton studied, only 73 destroyed the airplane they were fired at, for a kill rating of 11%. The ancient Sidewinder did almost three times better: of some 1,000 Sidewinder firings, 308 kills resulted in a kill rating of 30%.

In Southeast Asia, Sparrow had such a poor reputation that pilots routinely ripple-fired their Sparrows, firing off two or more in a row rather than taking a chance on a single shot. Even though few fighters came to Vietnam equipped with guns, they had a better kill rating than Sparrow-equipped fighters. Burton found that guns actually made about one-third of all the kills counted in Vietnam.

To the horror of those he briefed, Burton told them he found only four BVR kills in all the wars he covered. What is more, each of the four (two by Israel, two by F04s in Vietnam) was carefully staged outside the confusion of combat to prove BVR's combat worthiness. One Southeast Asia kill was listed as a MiG-21 when it was really an F-4 mistakenly identified and shot down using Combat Tree, the BVR identification equipment of the era that was supposed to sort friend from foe. According to Burton, the only reason Israel went after its two BVR kills was strong pressure from the U.S. to establish BVR doctrine.

In summarizing how the 407 missile kills were made, Burton came up with some unsettling conclusions:
* Most targets were unaware and were fired on from the rear.
* An insignificant number of targets were aware and maneuvered hard to avoid the attack.
* Many rear shots were fired from above the target, making them more difficult shots to hit.
* There were almost no head-on BVR shots because of the high closing speeds of the aircraft involved.

In 1984, Burton managed to have the idea tested in McDonnell Douglas' differential maneuvering simulators. The results were devastating. Over and over, ARM-equipped fighters shot down AMRAAM aircraft and missiles. The results were turned over to the AMRAAM office, which invalidated them and threw out the exercise. In airborne tests in Nevada, Red Force aircraft using simple radar homing and warning devices could see Blue Force AMRAAM radars coming on 10 mi. away. The warnings allowed Red Force to turn away and beat the missile. When the AMRAAM radar was reset to come on 5 mi. from the target aircraft, the change negated the longed-for BVR scenario.

In 1969, the DOD tried to test an air-to-air ARM developed from the Sparrow airframe under the project name Brazo. At modest cost, three test firings destroyed three target drones. Amlie says the program "was cancelled when it could be interpreted as eliminating large radar fighters such as the F-14 and F-15, since the tests proved you could not use a radar fighter in combat when up against ARMs. The only countermeasure was to turn the radars off, so everything was swept under a rug." Now, department rumblings suggest that development of an air-to-air ARM is again under consideration.
With modern air-to-air AMRAAM guided missiles greatly extending the general engagement range of jet fighters, some experts hypothesize that dogfighting may be headed toward extinction, but others cite the occurrences in Vietnam as evidence otherwise. However, it is worth noting that there have been a great number of Beyond-Visual-Range (BVR) kills occurring during and after the Persian Gulf War. This was due to the improved reliability of BVR missiles, radars, and most importantly, the integration of C3I assets, such as AWACS aircraft, into the realm of aerial warfare. This provided Coalition forces with a superior picture of the battlefield, and in conjunction with airspace management allowed utilization of BVR weaponry.

Despite this, the improvement of all-aspect IR, missiles coupled with helmet-mounted sights, has reduced the necessity of tail-chase attacks. In addition, Russian development of tail-mounted radar and rear-firing missiles has reduced Russian planes' vulnerability to tail-chase attacks.

Yet because this feature is only present on the most modern jets, and missiles are a finite resource, the US Navy (TOPGUN) and the US Air Force (Red Flag) continue to teach postgraduate-level classes in air-combat-manoeuvering engagements. Russian aircraft manufacturers heavily emphasize superagility and dogfight capabilities in fighter design, with aircraft such as the Su-37 or the Su-30MKI demonstrating advanced thrust vectoring systems to achieve these goals, pushing the aircraft to its limits to give it an advantage in combat. USAF fighters, such as the F-15 and F-16, tend to favor higher speeds, because of their emphasis on high power-to-weight ratio and low wing-loading; although the F-22 has superagility with its own vectored thrust.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Lalmohan wrote:my congratulations to the saab group for no doubt excellent technology. of course with your intention to grow market share in india, it might be worth remembering that supplying weapons systems to hostile actors in the neighbourhood is not good for your longer term business interests
Ha, ha, ha. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Companies can do this with impunity because they know that there will be no repercussions on them in this regard.
Kronop
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kronop »

merlin wrote:
Lalmohan wrote:my congratulations to the saab group for no doubt excellent technology. of course with your intention to grow market share in india, it might be worth remembering that supplying weapons systems to hostile actors in the neighbourhood is not good for your longer term business interests
Ha, ha, ha. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Companies can do this with impunity because they know that there will be no repercussions on them in this regard.
Well, business is business i guess :wink:

To be honest the French excel at this... Falklands conflict is just one example.
An old story but still it gives an insight in how things can work out:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -Nott.html

"In so many ways Mitterrand and the French were our greatest allies," Sir John says. As soon as the conflict began, France made available to Britain Super-Etendard and Mirage aircraft - which it had supplied to Argentina - so Harrier pilots could train against them.

The French gave Britain information on the Exocet - which sank the Sheffield and Atlantic Conveyor - showing how to tamper with it.

A remarkable worldwide operation then ensued to prevent further Exocets being bought by Argentina," Sir John says."

So its seems that as long as you are on good terms with the French you get additional benefits... I wonder how the Argentinians felt about it though..

I am in no way supporting the Argentinan actions but given that they had their defence tech sold out by a supplier mid conflict it must have been a huge dissapointment to say the least.
Sandeep_ghosh
BRFite

Post by Sandeep_ghosh »

Kartik wrote:

Euro typhoon
MIG 35
F16 IN
Dassault Rafale
F/A 18 E/F SH
JAS Gripen

and just for fun

SU 30 MKK
F16 Blk 52
FC20
JF 17

There are many factors that have to be clarified and then only a comparison can be made- What speeds will the two fighters approach each other at for the merge? And what altitude? Because at supersonic to high transonic speeds, the Typhoon will be hard to beat. But at lower speeds, the Super Hornet and the MiG-35 will be hard to beat. Will they be far from their bases and require carrying drop tanks to simulate long distance missions? How will the visibility be? Visibility is important because if it is a day with low visibility, then the pilots will have to rely on onboard radars or IRST to track others and then ID them positively before firing any WVR missiles. After all positive ID is absolutely essential to prevent fratricides, and even with IFF there are mistakes made. Here the fighters without IRST (passive detection capability) will be at a disadvantage since they will advertise their presence by having their radars switched on- keep in mind that having a radar switched on is like having a torch switched on in a huge hall with no lights on. You may be able to see better, but you'll also clearly pin-point your own position to others who may be sitting in the dark with their torch off. Will AWACS support be provided to both sides since it will make a huge difference to the both at the beginning. With AWACS datalinked to the fighters and providing the tactical picture, the pilots can keep their fighter’s nose cold and only use their passive sensors, making them that much more stealthy before they come into WVR range.

Without looking at the way in which this fight would be initiated, at what altitudes and at what speeds, you cannot predict anything since most of the fighters are 9 G capable, with AESA radars that will allow early detection of the bogey and passive detection that will allow early identification and then, passive tracking. Each has modern RWR and MAWS that will trigger warnings when they are painted by enemy radar and also warn the pilot of approaching IR missiles. Will enemy SAM sites be.....................................................
..............at very low altitudes, blending with the background. The F-16’s radar also struggled to get a lock-on as the terrain kept interfering and this was hardly a problem for the MiG-21 which anyway lacked a good radar set. The F-16 finally managed to win but not without a struggle. I had posted excerpts of that article on BRF earlier.

The Gripen doesn’t have the disadvantage of poor avionics. In fact quite the opposite. It will have the Skyward-NG IRST being developed by Selex and will be quite a handful in close combat for sure. The ES-05A Raven will likely detect the target at BVR distance. Excellent sensor fusion between the AESA ES-05A Raven and IRST combined with the good and simple data presentation means that the pilot will have a very good view of the tactical situation and can devise the best approach to the merge. On board radar warning receivers and the MAWS (which was tested some time ago and automatically engaged countermeasures) mean that when targeted itself, the Gripen IN will be able to defend itself very vigorously. IMO, will be a very potent fighter in WVR scenarios thanks to the F-414G providing good excess thrust when required (it is a very reliable engine that can be pushed very hard), combined with the high instantaneous turn and roll rates. Saab was studying algorithms that would basically prevent mid-air collisions as well, and while it was a somewhat preliminary stage back then, it may be a possible upgrade for the Gripen NG at some later date. Collision avoidance (both into ground and into other fighters in mid-air) systems would be a HUGE advantage. I would really go so far as to say that true carefree handling would only be achieved when such systems are operational and mature.

Great post kartik....

I am confused between agility and Maneuverability... I have been reading that Typhoon is more agile when compared to rest of the lot...

typhoon reportedly has a rate of climb 315 m/s and mig 35 has 330 m/s ... and speeds of 2 mach and 2.25 mach respectively... Doesn't that make Mig 35 more agile than euro fighter. Would really appreciate your views
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

sandeep, what if the rafale attacks the EF and it zooms up and outclimbs the rafale...
or
if the rafale attacks in a way that forces the EF into a turning fight...

it really all depends... the answer you are looking for cannot be numerically defined
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

Hi Viv S, as I said I am not frequently online here, so you might remain the technical, or cost discussion with Danell, so let us discuss about the aims and requirements of MMRCA itself.
Viv S wrote: - The AESA radar is to be retrofitted to all existing Eurofighters since it employs the same back-end as the Captor-M. Worst case scenario - the first squadron of EFs operates the Captor-M before being upgraded to the Captor-E within two years.

- Integration is not particularly expensive or arduous. The Paveway-series of PGMs has been extensively tested and integrated. And according the schedule the Brimstone and Storm Shadow were to be integrated with the last batch of Tranche 2 fighters (so it may have been done already, I don't know the status). In any case, the IAF will receive its Typhoons with full A2G capability.
Mate, the competition has clear requirements right? One of them is, that the fighter has to have an AESA radar when it will be delivered, another one is that the first delivery must be in 2014 and the licence production has to start in 2015.
So if we would not take our own requirements as the most important guidelines for the competition, why should the participating vendors do?

Choosing EF without AESA in time, it would not only mean that the first sqaud will be less capable and costlier to operate than planed, but if the AESA will be available in the partner countries only by 2015, we will not be able to licence produce the radar in 2015 as well. That means further delays in the licence production too and can we afford more delays besides the delays of LCA?

Also the AESA radar development just started and is only pre-funded by the consortium companies only, the partner countries has agreed to the development, but still need to fix the final funds. We all know about the financial situation in the UK, Italy, Spain and Germany, so further delays would not surprise anyone! Interesting in this regard is also this report about it just after the announcement at Farnborough:
Previously, the Eurofighter consortium wanted to add another round of upgrades through the block approach, but determined that it would be too difficult to gain approval for major packages. Instead, the consortium is now looking to phase in improvements every 2-3 years. This strategy also reduced the sticker shock for the four core countries.

The rolling-upgrade path will also likely be seen in how the AESA and weapons are introduced. The initial focus for the radar will be on air-to-air capabilities to support Meteor. About two years later, air-to-ground modes will follow to add Brimstone, Taurus and Storm Shadow ground-attack capabilities, notes a Eurofighter executive. An inverse synthetic aperture radar mode to fire anti-ship missiles would come in another step.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... de&next=20

As you can see, even if we would get AESA by 2015, it might be very pre-mature and only useful in A2A modes, while A2G weapons can be added only years lated!

Talking about A2G capabilities, no A2G missiles are not integrated yet on EF, nor is it clear, when they will be as the article shows, or who will pay for it. That's why I request, if we compare the fighters, let us do it on known facts and capabilities, not on speculations, or PR of the vendors please!

EF Tranche 3 for example is split into T3A and T3B, but although the partners had agreed to fund the T3 upgrade, only 2 things are likely, AESA radar and METEOR missile. All other things like higher thrust for EJ 200 engine, maybe TVC, or CFTs, EW upgrade are all speculations only!
So based on what we really know so far, EF T3A, will be a basic T2 with new radar and BVR missile, while its A2G capabilities still remains basic only (capable of delivering LGB mainly).

Now compare that to what is already available, or cleared for Rafales MMRCA version!

It already can:

- deliver all kinds of PGMs (laser, GPS, IR / Paveway, or AASM)
- deliver anti ship missiles (Exocet)
- deliver cruise missiles (Scalp, for export customers with close to 300Km range)
- nuclear missiles

It will get:

- AESA radar
- spherical IR MAWS
- upgraded FSO
- engine upgrade for more efficacy and reduced costs
- METEOR BVR missile

French forces had funded these upgrades and ordered these new Rafales in numbers as well, so by these facts, there should be a little doubt about which fighter would be more useful for IAF.

Viv S wrote:How is air superiority not the point? The Su-30MKI may have descended from an air superiority fighter but it is a multi-role fighter with an unmatched payload and range. In addition the IAF fields over 100 MiG-27s and 140 Jaguars dedicated to ground attack compared to just 63 MiG-29 air superiority aircraft(which will now get multi-role capabilities).

With regard to the PLAAF, how come air defence is a secondary aim when the core of PLAAF (especially at the long range combat likely over the NE and Tibet) is the 300 Flankers in its inventory.
Simply because all MMRCAs will be capable additions in A2A "along side the MKI", even the F18SH, that is often called bomb truck! They all feature A2A capabilities like AESA radar, long range BVR missiles, high maneuverability, or latest avionics (some more, some less), but only a few of them will be capable to do low level preemptive-, or deep penetration strikes, to take out Chinese missiles, or destroy key targets behind enemy borders. Also only a few of them offer operational versions for INs IAC2, or SFCs nuclear role!

IAF is phasing out most of the Mig 27 and only a few squads will remain till 2020, the Jags will be upgraded, but are not really useful in modern strike roles, especially against our opponents. They even proved to be not useful during Kargil, where they don't had to go behind enemy borders and had to face AWACS and fighters, as well as ground threats, like they would today. A fighter like Rafale on the other hand, is not only able to do these strikes, but also do defend itself against opponents, the Jags instead has limited defense capabilities only and are dependent on escorts.

MKI is a multi role fighter, but has A2G capabilities only in addtion, the main aim is still air superiority. In strike role it will mainly use its variety of long range A2G missiles like Brahmos, Kh 59, 35 and 31, while it won't be the first choice in PGM delivery, when it has to get way closer to the target. Again, that's where MMRCAs like Rafale and the Super Hornet will give IAF additional capabilities, where they are lacking behind at the moment.

Now consider Rafales with low RCS, passive detection features and MICA / METEOR vs Chinese Flankers, or J 11s, do you really think that it would be not capable enough in the A2A role?

Viv S wrote:Umm... that point would have held weight if you were talking in favour of the Superhornet. The Rafale has a similarily high cost.
Yes, the Super Hornet is the clear winner in this regard, because it is already more cost-effective (but also offers lower techs) and will now be even cheaper. The EF instead is the most expensive MMRCA and missed this chance to reduce costs and to be more attractive for us.
For Rafale and the other contenders, the engine deal makes no difference, because they couldn't offer the same engine for Tejas anyway, which means they have to score with other advantages (source codes, ToT...).

Regards!
Last edited by Sancho on 25 Nov 2010 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

PM heading to Berlin, Germany to pitch for Eurofighter
The Economic Times
Germany is set to sharpen its pitch for selling Eurofighter Typhoon combat jets to India when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh goes to Berlin next month, a day-long trip that will focus on expanding the strategic relationship between the two would-be non-permanent members of the UN Security Council.
Manmohan Singh and Merkel, who enjoy a special chemistry, are expected to focus on expanding defence relationship and enlarging the scope of their strategic dialogue on key global issues like UN reforms, the international financial crisis, counter-terrorism, non-proliferation and climate change.
Germany, on its part, is set to make a renewed pitch for the Eurofighter project at a time when the contest for a $10.4 billion tender for supplying 126 fighter aircraft to India is intensifying by the day. Germany will contend that the Eurofighter offer is unique as it involves technology transfer and is likely to stress that it is ready to forgo the End-User Monitoring Agreement (EUMA) that even India's close partners like the US insist on, an informed source disclosed.

Early this week, the German envoy outlined the attractions of the Eurofighter Typhoon at a speech at the Indian Council for World Affairs. "We are here for the long haul...We are even forgoing the End-User Monitoring Agreement (EUMA) and offering complete transfer of technology. We would like India to work closely with us in the future development of the aircraft," he had said. Germany, which is leading the Eurofighter consortium of several leading defence giants in Europe including EADS and BAE Systems , is hoping that India takes a favorable decision on the Eurofighter by the time Merkel comes here in the summer next year, the source disclosed.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Can any one throw some light on the dog fighting capabilities of MMRCA aircraft during night times.

IRST will be very handy in this scenario but are there any specific advantages any of the AC type carries?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hmmm....sher khan radars have a clear advantage then over next 7-8 yrs - even the APG80 on F-solah have SAR/ISAR modes built in and all types of A2G ordnance is mature. the APG79 is likely to be same or better.

if EU had a captor-E fully functional like the APG79 today and a cheap meteor to work with it - EF would handily trounce the F-18/F-16 on the checklist...but now game is more equal.