CWG 2010 - Corruption Saga

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Re: Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by Murugan »

BTW,

Congress is vary good at at least one thing : Scandal Management

For ever scandal and goof ups they have a ready scapgoat - a bali to be sacrificed.

for instances, in last 20-30 years they have sacrificed Madhav Singh Solanki, Arjun Singh, K Natwar Singh for all the wrong doings by the dynasty.

The latest sacrificial goat is likely to be Suresh Kalmadi. Life will move on, Dynasty Enjoys!

I said 'likely to be' because Suresh does not have 'singh' in his name.

Added later:

One more singh : Arun Singh

"Arun Singh is known as a person of unimpeachable character. At the height of Bofors scandal Singh left the government without explanation; he later said that Gandhi had prevented him from pursuing his investigations into the affair, but that he (Singh) had not received any money from the company."

But you know... Scandal Managers are very efficient.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Suresh Kalmadi's Line will be "the order from above and obedience from below theory"
In 1986, the Rajiv Gandhi Government struck a $1.3 billion defence deal with A B Bofors of Sweden. Sundarji had recommended this gun, which he felt was as good as the French Sofma, which had been favoured earlier. When news emerged of a 3% payoff in the deal, with possible links going up to the highest levels of government, Sundarji tried to have the deal cancelled.

In 1996, Swiss bank documents were released to the Indian government,revealing that the bribe money had been channelled through several front companies to Ottavio Quattrocchi, an Italian businessman and close personal friend of Rajiv and Sonia Gandhi. The Central Bureau of Investigation asked General Sundarji to testify before the agency on his role in the deal. This is what he had said in an interview at that point.

Question (George Iype): Didn't you tell the Rajiv Gandhi government to scrap the deal when the scandal broke out?

Gen. Sundarji: Soon after the corruption charges began pouring in the foreign and Indian media, I immediately rushed to the office of the then Defence Minister Arun Singh and told him: "Let us scrap the deal."... I insisted that the government should terminate the deal with the Swedish firm as by then only six Bofors gun had arrived in India.

Q: What did Singh tell you?

S: He told me to write my request on a piece of paper and submit it to the Defence Secretary, S. K. Bhatnagar, so that he can take up the matter with the Prime Minister's Office. I did that and waited for days to get an answer from Singh. But one day Bhatnagar came to my office and told me to redraft the note and change my stand.

Q: What did you do then?

S: I told Bhatnagar that I could not agree to the suggestion. I then called on Arun Singh and asked why the government was insisting that the deal should go through. He told me that the PMO feels that the cancellation of the Bofors contract would jeopardise India's security. By 1987 April, only six Bofors guns had arrived in India. I tried to convince Singh that the Bofors gun would not affect the country's security and defence preparedness.

Q: Did Arun Singh agree with you?

S: It seemed to me that Singh agreed with my views. But he told me that "the order from above and obedience from below theory" is the order of the government. Singh soon left the Rajiv Gandhi government in disgust.

The Bofors scandal and the (slight) shadow it cast on his reputation of integrity left Sundarji scarred with a severe distaste for politics.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Former cabinet Sec. Mr.Subramaniam speaking on a TV channel yesterday,squarely laid the blame of the CWG scam at the door of the PM Dr.Singh,saying that had he given the go ahead to crack down upon corruption earlier,it would've had a signal effect on the state of affairs across the entire spectrum of govt.Why has he been "missing" all along? The CWG "Blame Games" carnage going on right now is a perfect example of that old saying,"when thieves fall out".If anyone imagines that Sheila Bull-sh*t is free from complicity and untainted,then he or she should take a dip in a holy river to wash away the sins of unclean thought! In the "Blame Games,she has been "first off the block" in accusing her colleagues in crime.She as CM of Delhi has presided over the maximum amount of looting of in the construction of stadia,infrastructure,et al.The hunt for scapegoarts is on with indecent haste,by going after contractors who inevitably would've delivered building with faults to be rectified,a good excuse for nailing them as villains of the piece.The Sports Ministry also has its own skeletons in the closet in the award of eqpt.,etc. which came under its wing.The OC,Delhi CM ,Sports Min.and even the Lt.Gov. perhaps, should be the prime accused.Their passports must be impounded and they should be suspended from all activities of their office pending the completion of the investigations.If one joints all the dots togther,the trail of decision making in allowinf the CWG bandicoots a free hand and a blank cheque book leads to the door of the PMO.It all has happened upon his watch,from his first term.He is akin to a racehorse,sorry...a pony with blinkers on that could only see one issue ahead of him,finalising the N-deal.

More on the Athlete's complaints,not exposed so far.
CWG: What the athletes had to say
New Delhi: As expenses incurred on the Commonwealth Games turn into a national debate and the subject of multi-pronged investigations by multiple agencies, what has got glossed over is the daily record of complaints and objections filed by the most important stakeholders: contingents from 71 countries which participated in the event.

In fact, vital to any probe into what went wrong at the Games is the minutes of the Chefs de Mission meeting held daily at the Games Village. These minutes, made available to The Indian Express, reveal glaring gaps in facilities at the venues, the standard of accommodation, transportation and protocol, all of which are now the focus of a huge inter-departmental blame game.

The tunnel trauma

The failure to provide athletes the promised air-conditioned tunnels to walk through for the parades during the Opening and Closing ceremonies in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium is something that must be part of the CWG post-mortem, given the agitated complaints aired at the daily meetings.

Apprehensions were aired on the subject as early on September 29, when the Scotland team pointed out: "We were told earlier that the holding area where the athletes would converge will be air-conditioned. As the movement would be in alphabetical order, it would not be fair to our athletes who will come in later to be accommodated in the open area."

More pages in link.
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article ... id=4483283
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Satya_anveshi wrote:
Stan_Savljevic wrote:Satya, I just read and re-read some of the docs that were piling up on my system. If I have to summarize what I read, it will take us fairly far away from what is relevant in this thread and take us back to 1947 and even a 100 years before that. If you are keen, my [warning: loooong] take on this matter is at: http://dharma-yuddham.blogspot.com/2010 ... eline.html
Stan ji,

wow! the article on the blog is fresh (Oct 19th) :)

Thanks for the link to your blog. Never mind the length and keep it coming. I will review and follow up with questions.

Stan continue on the blog and in GDF forum. Need to understand the subject more deeply.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

Everyone is after the Kalmadi like a hungry Dog. Pity is that likes of Dixit, Reddy, Gill etc. who are the main leaders of this corrupt gang will escape. Kalmadi is being made scapegoat. I am not saying kalmadi is a saint. But nobody will touch the Big Fishes.

When pressed for answers, Kalmadi walks out
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

he'll take the punishment, then come out and count his crores
aaaal eez vell
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

Same story again. Emaar group will be made a scapegoat and DDA (One of the most corrupt in India) and ITDC will escape. When there is MCD in delhi and people can elect their representatives to MCD.Then, Why do we need DDA in Delhi? Because it comes directly under the Ministry of Urban Development and they loot crores and crores every year without anything coming in media. Its a big joke that in one single city you got three depatments namely NDMC, MCD, Delhi Cantonment Board and DDA. Nothing but recipe for disaster. But this is how they loot crores.Is'n it? We should have just one department, say MCD. It will help to reduce the looting if not completely vanish it and there will be some accountabilty.
Month before Games, Emaar warned DDA: Your agencies messing it up
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think after the successful conclusion of the CWG and the high success we should separate out the scam discussion for that is different set of political and corruption ball game.
THis thread shouldnt be comingled with the scam follow-up.

Just my thoughts subject to correction.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

jagga wrote:Same story again. Emaar group will be made a scapegoat and DDA (One of the most corrupt in India) ...
Month before Games, Emaar warned DDA: Your agencies messing it up
The above "news" could be a paid job by Emaar to shore up its credentials. Remember, Emaar was bailed out to the tune of 600 crores and still they did not complete the work correctly and in time. Yes DDA (and from that extension HUDA, BMC etc) is corrupt., but that should not take away the spotlight from Emaar for its role (or lack thereof) in construction of the village.

Worldwide Emaar properties were left in lurch and had to be bailed out by local governments. Emaar/MGF should be black listed and further they should be sued to pay additional fines. Fair balance only!
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

CWG: UK broadcaster under scanner; CBI to probe conspiracy http://www.zeenews.com/news663085.html

New Delhi: A UK-based company which bagged the Rs 246 crore broadcast contract for Commonwealth Games came under the scanner for alleged tax evasion even as the CVC asked CBI to probe any criminal conspiracy angle in award of certain Games-related projects.

The Income Tax department has invoked provisions of the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and the UK to go after the British broadcast firm SIS Live whose Indian arm was found to have come into existence "solely" for the purpose of executing a CWG Games contract.

Survey operations on the Indian arm of the British company were conducted by the IT department whose Assessing Officers found alleged discrepancies in the financial documents of the firm. It was allegedly trying to evade taxes to the tune of Rs 29 crore.

The IT department subsequently asked the Prasar Bharti, which had made Doordarshan enter into a contract with company for broadcast rights of the games, to cut taxes from the company's receipts under the Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) category.

The I-T department in its order to Prasar Bharti, said that the broadcast firm had "come into existence solely with the purpose of carrying out and undertaking all activities and actions necessary or desirable to implement the CWG contract."

Sources said that the terms of payment by Prasar Bharti were also being looked into by investigators.

"Whatever has been done, has been done in a totally proper, correct and valid manner," Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharti, B S Lalli said.

"There is a payment schedule which is a part of the contract. So at that point of time, a payment had to be released, so what the members have recorded on his note to senior general manager and I recorded there... that basically it is not for us to interfere in the matter of the service tax because that is between the entity and the service tax department," Lalli said.

The I-T department had earlier issued attachment orders of the unreleased amount of contract amount of Rs 246 crores to the firm by Prasar Bharti on October six, but a day later, it issued orders to cut taxes under TDS by invoking provisions of section 197 (certificate for deduction at lower rate) and the DTAA.

As the multi-agency probe into corruption and financial irregularities moved forward, a criminal conspiracy angle will be probed by CBI in the wake of unearthing of discrepancies in awarad of contracts for some games-related projects causing huge financial losses.

Official sources said the discrepancies like payment to non-existent parties, wilful delay in execution of contracts, inflated prices and bungling in purchase and renting of overlays including equipment worth several crores through tendering have been noticed.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

ramana wrote:I think after the successful conclusion of the CWG and the high success we should separate out the scam discussion for that is different set of political and corruption ball game.
THis thread shouldnt be comingled with the scam follow-up.

Just my thoughts subject to correction.
agreed - We should not discourage world class facilities popping up around India because of this and Suresh Calamity might have slurped down a few, but he is OUR dude. This thing is much bigger than any Indian politician and we should be careful on going beyond a point in shooting them. If Wall Street suits are still walking around free, why should we hasten to unfrock dear Calamity for the sake of Blatter/Rogge types? Let his party spend any ill gotten money for elections and spend it out to buy TVs/booze for our poor in other parts of country.

But then in a way it is good these hard questions are asked, the interest to hold an Olympics will be lesser, if the public gets an idea of the hardships they have to endure to line the pockets of oiropean robber-barons.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Commonwealth Games 2010 - Aftermath

Post by Rahul M »

this thread is for discussing the financial irregularities around CWG.

if there is any post here that should be in the other thread ( http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=2080 ) or vice versa, kindly cross post it.
thanks.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

Why is mr. Green displayed next to the name of this thread. Has it been defaced by our well wishers ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I've no idea how that came about. need to ask jagman.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

CWG 2010 - Corruption Saga

Post by Rahul M »

problem solved. :mrgreen:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: CWG 2010 - Corruption Saga

Post by ramana »

Thanks for the hard work RahulM.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

They have successfully managed to make it Kalmadi vs Dixit fingerpointing which means only one will get punished. how smart ! When there was collaboration in looting, why should there be competition for punishment ? All of them ought to be punished, not one or the other.

The more you hear Kalmadi's name, the more you know Sheila Dixit is going to escape unscathed. Mdm Dixit is such a pet and proxy for corruption for Mrs G herself that she is sure to escape unhurt. As long as Sheila Dixit stands vindicated this whole investigation is a farce.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Corruption is a norm in Ministers, judges, IAS etc of all castes. And media-owners mostly look aside and some intellectuals even support corruption. But moment a dalit makes high bucks, media-owners and intellectuals start chasing him like bloodhounds. eg Most telecom Ministers (including ABV, Pramod) have been corrupt. But only A Raja gets cursed. Most Honorable justices in High and Supreme Courts have been corrupt. But only Dinakaran gets cursed. Most players including Kalamadi, Antonia Maino, Dixit, Gill and MMS made big bucks from CWG. But only Kalamadi gets hunted by intellectuals and media-owners.

Dalit IAS, Ministers, judges are as corrupt as Ministers, judges and IAS of upper castes. But media-owners and intellectuals seem to be more interested in ensuring that Dalits must be clean.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

^^^ Sorry but you are consistently wrong on this subject. Suresh Kalmadi is a Brahmin.
Many of the CWG looters are of all castes and religions including Selja who is BC. Please stop this nonsense. Much as I appreciate some of your other lines of thought, this one is so bogus and binary that it is almost irritating.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Rahul Mehta, when the corruption is by all, why the emphasis on the word "caste". You must lead to change these archaic ideas and input more fresh thoughts into younger brains.

Corruption can only be annihilated when practiced and taught by all parents to kids starting from birth.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

I guess Congress mission of distracting Indians with the Arundhatis of the world has been successful. CWG corruption is fading from public memory
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Gold Rush has begun

What we are seeing is only part of the story. Part-II will unfold after games are over and Village would become available for allotment and there will be gold rush to get a flat in Games Village. Reward for well organised games.These reporters would also be vying for the same.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 20#p945320
Here is beginning of Part-II

The DDA has sent a proposal to the ministry of urban development to allow Games Village flats to be allotted to state entities like Delhi police and PSUs, besides MPs and MLAs. The Central Vigilance Commission and the Comptroller and Auditor General's office are included in the proposal. ( I hope u get the drift)

These are the two agencies, besides others, which are investigating various Games-related cases.

The proposal, which was approved at an authority meeting earlier this week, will be implemented through a relaxation of the DDA's housing policy. "A proposal for relaxation has been sent since at present, allotment or auction of flats by the DDA can be done for the general public only. To allow allotment or auction of flats for government agencies or PSUs, the housing policy needs to be relaxed," said a senior DDA official.

The proposal, which has been approved by the Lt Governor's office, will enable the DDA to put up over 600 flats from its share of 723 in the Village for sale to the government sector, much like the Asiad Village after the 1982 Games. The land agency is proposing to auction 100 flats to the public, with the rest earmarked for babus. A senior official explained that "the auction of the 100 flats will basically be held to determine what can be the base price for the flats. This would then be the benchmark for the tenders for auction or allotment to the institutions." DDA officials admitted that the agency had received several requests from various government quarters for allotment of flats in the Village.
The DDA's share in the Village had originally been one-third of the total flats, i.e. around 390. But after the financial bailout to Emaar-MGF, the number of flats in the land agency's kitty went up by 333 flats to 723.

Sources said that while no suggestions have been made for subsidizing the flats for government agencies, once the proposal is approved by the MoUD, such issues could be discussed.

Both proposals—relaxing the housing policy and auctioning 100 flats to the public—were sent earlier this week. Since the Village is under litigation with Emaar-MGF challenging DDA's decision to revoke the bank guarantee, sources say there's plenty of time for the ministry to give its approval.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

This is thievery on a grand scale by the elected representatives of the country in full view of the public with the 100 flats thrown as crumbs to keep the public's attention diverted. The CVC and CAG have been co-opted (keep your enemies very close strategy)

The most equitable method is to offer all the flats to the public at a market determined rate.Babus can join the "aam aadmi in the melee on a first come first served basis or, if demand exceeds supply, conduct a lottery.

Better still, sell all of them at a public auction telecast on live TV. Call it "Realty TV". That should keep the audience glued. Should rival if not exceed the entertainment offered by live Parliament telecasts.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Murugan wrote:BTW,

Congress is vary good at at least one thing : Scandal Management

For ever scandal and goof ups they have a ready scapgoat - a bali to be sacrificed.

for instances, in last 20-30 years they have sacrificed Madhav Singh Solanki, Arjun Singh, K Natwar Singh for all the wrong doings by the dynasty.

The latest sacrificial goat is likely to be Suresh Kalmadi. Life will move on, Dynasty Enjoys!

I said 'likely to be' because Suresh does not have 'singh' in his name.

Added later:

One more singh : Arun Singh

"Arun Singh is known as a person of unimpeachable character. At the height of Bofors scandal Singh left the government without explanation; he later said that Gandhi had prevented him from pursuing his investigations into the affair, but that he (Singh) had not received any money from the company."

But you know... Scandal Managers are very efficient.
Totally agree. Con'gress has excellent propaganda management techniques.

You're forgetting the biggest scapegoat of all - PVNR. The kids today hear glorious stories of how MMS turned around the economy, but nobody is told of the person who made it all possible. I hate this party so much.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

whats this i'm reading???

Suresh Kalmadi, sports top cats set to get the boot, courtesy court

In a major setback to the long-serving Indian Olympic Association and National Sports Federations bosses, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday directed the Centre to implement with immediate effect its national sports policy that puts a cap on tenure and fixes a retirement age for sports administrators.

As per the 1975 policy, which was amended on May 1, 2010, the head of any sports body can serve for a maximum period of 12 years while the upper age limit for the in-charge of any federation is 70 years.

The development is going to affect, among others, Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi and secretary Randhir Singh, Archery Association of India's president Vijay Kumar Malhotra, Badminton Association president VK Verma, Cycling Federation president Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, Aero Club's president Captain Satish K Sharma and Volleyball Federation president BS Adityan. While Kalmadi has been at the IOA's helm since 1996, Malhotra is an archetypal sports administrator, heading the archery body for over three decades.
Throw these netas out with blackened faces. Bloody parasites.

But I would like the courts to see through the fact that the CONgress has made Kalmadi the scapegoat while its quiet on the rest. Sheila Dixit had all this time and couldn't get the multiple civic agencies under her to deliver on time and within budget. The PMO apparently had been following the preparations since last year but its useless to expect any activity from that hallowed office on any issue.

Now its Adarsh Society, and after Obama's visit, the media will have enough cud to chew through for weeks.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Kalmadi sacked. Scandal management is goin on
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Seriously, what's new with this saga? This is just 1 of a thousand that's going on.

BJP supported Sethu project when they were in power. In fact it was taken up in national interest, George Fernandes was a big backer and I think he commissioned more work on it under the idea that it was good for the navy and transferring from east to west during a crisis.
Now look at where we are? BJP is against it only because of money. The actual cost to do the design work was actually only 1 crore. A certain transport minister commissioned it for 100Cr and he asked for 40 Crore.

And that's just a small example. Becoming an MP is like a business, all investments are repaid via bribes and other loot. Insider trading occurs on a regular basis. What's new in this saga?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Apparently Kalmadi aka Calamity was also felicitated by the INC.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

The second term of Con'gress party is nearing an end, there seems to be a mad rush to loot as much of the country as possible.

Hmm, maybe Rahul babu has sent out signals to all his minions that his (anticipated) rule won't give as many chances of pillaging. Already the media has duly conveyed to the masses that he has asked for a Con'gressi with a clean image as the next CM. After all, he is the saviour we're all waiting for.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Kalmadi sacking is just a sorry eyewash. Well informed people say that out of Rs 65000 cr spent in CWG, over Rs 50000 cr were siphoned out. And Kalmadi etc did not siphon out in one day - it was done over 5-6 years. Obviously, Rajmata Sonia and Mahatma MMS knew every detail of where pennies went. They let the scam go on because Rajmata and Mahatma MMS were getting at least 67% of the siphoned money. And now when all money has reached their Mauritius bank account, MMS/Sonia are sacking Kalmadi to show that MMS/Rajmata are corruption. Ditto in case of Chavan. Chavan was regularly sending hafta to Sonia/MMS. And now he too has been shafted to create clean image.

The drama fools no one. But those who get paid to write goody goody things about Sonia/MMS/RG can at least now write epic struggle Sonia/MMS/RG have unleashed to remove corruption in India.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

The sacking of Kalmadi, highly deserved, is unfortunately only symptomatic relief to this general malaise of egregious corruption during the Commonwealth Games.

The masterminds of this colossal loot are still out there free, publicly pointing fingrs at Kalmadi and rejoicing in his predictable fall.

The responsibility/accountability for such a sorry state of affairs goes much higher in the corrupt hierarchy;

- Who is responsible for nominating Kalmadi to his position?
- Who maintained Kalmadi in his position all along, knowing fully well his incompetence?

If i hire the services of a monkey to manage my garden, the result is along expected lines. It would not be fair to the monkey to blame him for the garden's condition, it will do what it does best.

Unless and until the individuals who install such "monkeys" are exposed, such sorry sagas will continue to unfold!
R_Kumar
BRFite

Post by R_Kumar »

One thing saddens me that after every corruption one or two person get fired and then everything become normal after that.

What about the money that the person in question has looted. Where the money has gone? And why not retrieve those money back? What about life time imprisonment for such crime.

Even in parliament the opposition were just shouting to sack Raja. What about the looted money and why not demand for fast track probe and put the person behind bar. May be they are afraid that tomorrow when they are in power it may come to haunt them?

I was hoping corruption will slowly come down as country makes progress. But I see other way around. Every one wants to outcorrupt every one else. Now Laloo 900 cr scam looks so small.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

All these scams have blessings from high command. Thye need funds for elections
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

The senior guys are MORE than aware of the loot taking place. But every year they are tightening it slightly. Eventually law and teeth for the CVC and anti corruption teams will be increased.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

shyamd wrote:But every year they are tightening it slightly. Eventually law and teeth for the CVC and anti corruption teams will be increased.
whats the basis for this?

On the contrary, they are planning to launch a toned down RTI Bill to exclude certain public posts. Media activism is the only thing thats getting stronger in uncovering scandals, and of course the media is only doing it to feed its own frenzy.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Is it me or is it that Loot of India has picked up by all powerful classes. There seems to be scam every other day.
Maybe media is more active than ever before or maybe the laws or so weak that it is permanent harvesting season While there is absolutely no conviction of the upper class of looters.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Vikas, India is a perfect place to ask the question - who watches the watchdog?

Why would the Government of India make it difficult for the Government of India to loot the nation?

One could argue that the proverbial democracy is the watchdog of the watchdog, and that bad governments pay by losing elections, but unfortunately even after convictions and defeats of people in power, the money once stolen stays stolen forever.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Vasu, that's because they know it can't continue forever and shouldn't continue simply because its wrong. It will mess up the country in the long run, but in the short run its alright.
So, what they are doing is tightening it up slowly, allowing party workers, ministers to get rich. But there will be a point where they will say no more.
Look at A Raja, I am pretty certain they are sending a serious warning to DMK gang. Congress knows the level of corruption by DMK guys, they are watching them very closely and they know that they are getting serious power and serious money.
Just take a look at the family and its wealth. A little birdie from another major TN party who held talks with senior kangress big wigs told me that kangress was watching Dmk family closely and how much power\they are attaining as well as wealth.

Let's see what happens.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://outlookindia.com/article.aspx?267762

... and amid all the stinking corruption, the human detritus of common Indians caught up in the race by some to "look good" in front of the world, as if people don't know.

Some day, right thinking Indians will have to stand up and ask,

- Are the rights of ordinary Indians important??
- Are we as a people and society so craven and shallow that we are willing to destroy the lives of fellow Indians for the fickle and temporary approving nod of foreigners??
- If fellow Indians are not respected in their own country, why would the world at large have any respect for Indians!!

the world IS watching...

Off With Their Rights...

As many as 3 lakh slum dwellers in Delhi were evicted before the Commonwealth Games
When a family is evicted, each member loses many rights—the rights to livelihood, shelter, health, education etc
Of some 60,000 beggars on Delhi streets, more than 50,000 were removed for the Games

Forget the razzle-dazzle and the hype over the recently concluded Commonwealth Games (CWG) in Delhi. The human cost—paid, as always, by the poor—has been mind-boggling, the extent and force of its effects far greater than the corruption which has been in the media’s focus. According to the Delhi Shramik Sangathan, quoted in the exhaustive report prepared by the internationally reputed Housing & Land Rights Network (HLRN), in the five years from 2003, when India won the bid to be the host for the Games, close to 350 slum clusters housing three lakh people were demolished in Delhi. Most of these slum-dwellers had been living there for over a decade. Only a third of them have been resettled.
At the cluster of some 300 jhuggis along the open drain behind the swanky Thiagaraja stadium, built at a cost of Rs 300 crore for the netball events, the residents—mostly migrants from West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh—are waiting for Delhi chief minister Sheila Dixit or her son Sandeep, an MP. “We voted them to power,” says Raj Kumar, a resident of the cluster and father to five children, “and this is how they repay us!” His children had to discontinue their studies, as they had lost their home. Most residents of this jhuggi cluster have voter IDs and ration cards. Some even have passports. But they weren’t allowed to stay. There are some whose parents couldn’t survive the shock of demolition. Manoj Kumar, whose father died of shock after seeing their home razed, says, “Is there something wrong with simple dreams and hopes that clash with the hopes of India Shining?”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shyamd,
They might get YSRed.