The Cricket World Cup Thread

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by SaiK »

only two bowlers crossed a million. murali and pale stain.
sanjeevs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sanjeevs »

Marten wrote:^every table was grinning when Smith and Symonds were auctioned off.
Am very surprised Smith went this cheap, as did Vettori, Gayle, and McCullum!
Gayle? I though he was still left over.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Bitter rivals Andrew Symonds of Australia and India's Harbhajan Singh are set to share the same dressing room after the Indian Premier League auction on Saturday.
:twisted:
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Some things in the IPL auction make absolutely no sense to me. Like,

What kind of a dimwit would pay $950,000 for Ravindra Jadeja?

Why did Ambani aunty and co. splurge $2,000,000 on Rohit Sharma while letting Zaheer Khan get away?

What exactly makes Irfan Pathan, a player who hasn't played for the national team for a long time and isn't likely to in the near future, worth $1.9 million :shock:, especially when the best fast bowler in the world is bought for 1.2 million?

Why is Jayawardane of all people the most expensive foreign player?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think logic is local player who is unlikely to be in indian WC team commands a good premium. they will always be around, be well rested and have no alternative strong stream of income. Gayle types will come play a few matches, party hard and then fly off to play for national team.

hence the high prices of local players vs far more brandname type players from outside.

Rohit sharma is a fluent hitter of the ball - he has proved it in DC stint. Zak is a great test bowler but not particularly great in T20 format...same for Ishant with the expection he has lost his mojo in test also. good restrictive bowlers like jadeja, ojha, harbhajan, praveen kumar are the types suited for T20 imo.

Mahela I think is going to be the anchor player for Kochi and likely the captain. maybe the SL team schedule is empty during T20 time so it was felt he can be here all matches. generally SL, BD, SA, Kenya and WI players work hard and deliver . the angrez & aussies are full of nakhras and psyops perhaps with a few exceptions like gilly....more trouble than they are worth.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

There is no official name for Kochi team yet?
Indian Pacer Sreesanth Sold to Kochi for Rs 4.14 Crores
He is one lucky ba$tard, ain't he? :mrgreen:
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

What Kochi has a IPL team, I thought they were getting disbanded. :eek:

Now we will have to hear constant whines about the bad commie team with aliens in their ranks and a pranthan to boot. This is bad for h&d of Kochi. How can any Kochite allow this.
shyamm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyamm »

Sad to see RC Bangalore losing local content: Dravid to RR , Uthappa to Pune and Kumble retired.
What was the point in not retaining Uthappa bought for 3+ crores 2 years back and buying Saurabh Tiwari for 7+ crores this time. At least Uthappa is handy wicketkeeper.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the kochi team is named resonance or resilience or some such..starts with R.

for teams having promiment owners with a activist role like RCB, it might affect who falls out of favour....in contrast the DC and Chennai owners are hardly visible and seem very hands off...the coach and captain and other consultants have their say I suppose.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Kiwis might as well stop playing cricket. The suckers got whitewashed by the BDs, then Indians and now have lost a test to the cheaters as well! their standards must be analyzed by the ICC they should review their eligibility to play international cricket!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

WTF is Kochi going to do with 10 overseas players? And Rajasthan still has only one Indian batsman - RD. Won't be surprised if they buy dada.

[rant] Ambani aunty has gone mental. $700,000 for Munaf Patel?? Seriously?? She couldn't shell out a bit more for Zaheer instead? :(( :(( [/rant]
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Well, here is the site for Kochi team, designed by the 3rd grade kid of one of the promoters I guess

http://kochiteam.com
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Any body for today's 20-20. I hope sky sports is showing it.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

(most recent first)
South Africa: WWWWW
India: WWLLL
time for more Ws
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The auction has ended. No takers for Dada or Gayle. Gayle probably lost out due to scheduling issues. As for Dada, I guess he'll retire from all forms of cricket now. I'm really surprised though. There were a few teams who could have certainly used him. Of course SRK is going to be less popular now, which makes me happy. :)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Found this comment below a TOI article. Thought it was a good one.
Sachin is an icon, an inspiration to a generation. We need to take lessons from his life. We would watch cricket during our office hours, abandoning our work. But fail to remember that the very persona we like to respect and are in awe of would never lose focus when he is on his job.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

DD and 10-cricket are both showing T20 live. TI is 137/5 with projection of 165.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

nachiket wrote:The auction has ended. No takers for Dada or Gayle. Gayle probably lost out due to scheduling issues. As for Dada, I guess he'll retire from all forms of cricket now. I'm really surprised though. There were a few teams who could have certainly used him. Of course SRK is going to be less popular now, which makes me happy. :)
cricinfo wallas saying WI commitments reason for ignoring gayle.

as for SCG, I was a bit surprised considering he averaged 37 last IPL at a decent SR which is pretty good for T20. but I've always thought he should have retired after the first IPL.

oh and I hope KKR gets trounced and loses public support so that SRK is forced to sell the team. :twisted: otherwise otherwise we are gonna see krachi knight riders the first time paki players are allowed in. :puke: :evil:
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Rahul M wrote:
oh and I hope KKR gets trounced and loses public support so that SRK is forced to sell the team. :twisted: otherwise otherwise we are gonna see krachi knight riders the first time paki players are allowed in. :puke: :evil:
Hain, Bongal Breaper saying this? :eek: You must hate SRK even more than I do. Hehe
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

hey, I really don't care that much about IPL. I always end up cheering the desi players irrespective of team. :D
and enjoy the cricket, obviously.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

nachiket wrote:WTF is Kochi going to do with 10 overseas players?
The only good thing the IPL with more overseas players will do to Kochi is get more furriners filling up the resorts along the beaches and the hills with the extra exposure. Maybe, not so bad an idea after all maybe to keep the tourist money flowing, the occasional barbs from within the borders notwithstanding.

But for all that they need to have a dedicated stadium of world class with all the Gulf NRI money.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

The best thing about this IPL auction has been that all the porkies could do was watch from the sidelines.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

munna munaf comes in and goes for a six first ball. economy rate of 36 !! :rotfl:

2 back to back 4's off the next 2 balls. economy rate comes down to a miserly 28 per over ! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

dhoni seriously has a few screws loose. why would you give your best new ball bowler only one over ?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

wyk will finish us and munna et al in a minute it appears.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

be villdering!

--

on the legside this wykie is very strong. he is been given lollies!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

SaiK wrote:wyk will finish us and munna et al in a minute it appears.
He is in a hurry, the way others are getting out, he might run our of partrners
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

AK PHYRRRR! India win by 21 runs - good bowling by Nehra and Ashwin at the end, that Morne van Wyk looks an absolute beast, hasn't been bought by any IPL teams yet tho
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

AK Phyrr! :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

http://www.sify.com/sports/it-s-better- ... cfiaj.html
Dubbed challenging at the start of the tour, Indian cricketers have taken a liking to the fast and bouncy pitches of South Africa with star spinner Harbhajan Singh wondering why such tracks are not prepared for them back home.
Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni echoed Harbhajan's views. "If you track score books you will realise that whenever we are playing at home more often than not we have bowled more than 100 overs in the first inning," said the Indian Captain.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

would become too hot to link here, but why not google for it with "ak fire icon"/click images, and scroll down to find images of lady gaga with couple of AKs as her bra.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Did Kumble snub team-mate Dravid? DDM strikes again!
"I have known Rahul as a little boy because as you probably know his father worked for the UB Group. I have a lot of affection for him and the greatest of respect towards his cricketing achievements. This time, after having had an experience of the IPL for three years, we consciously decided we want a young team. We made that decision and we were ready to live with the consequences of that decision. If you see all our players are youngsters and we probably have the youngest team in the entire IPL," he said.
I am glad that Rajasthan bid for Rahul and I wish him all the luck. But then conversely, you also have to acknowledge that Ganguly, Lara, Gayle they are all top class cricketers of a particular era but nobody bid for them so that tells you something.
"So no disrespect to anyone of them, no disrespect to Rahul in particular. I am full of admiration for Rahul, it just that we needed to follow our strategy of building a young team and at the end of the day I could say maybe I could not afford it," he added.
"We were given inputs by none other than Anil Kumble, who is now the chief mentor of the team and works with us full time on RCB. He is such a legend and such a competent person in his own right. No wonder he is chairman of the National Cricket Academy. The fact is that he took it upon himself to say that he would groom these youngsters. I just don't look at them for 2011 but I look at them for 2012," Mallya said.
He also declined to reveal on whom they plan to select as the captain. "We could choose anyone as the captain. We have Daniel Vettori and a few others. I leave that to Anil Kumble and he will decide on this matter," he said.
wonder who is the local attraction for RCB. no dravid no kumble. who will root for them and bring in crowds.
seems to have lost the plot. mallya thinks it is more of beer and not cricket. interesting kumble in the middle of these.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Sourav Ganguly gets a shocker, out of IPL-4
Already known here.
Joining the Indian icon on the list of sidelined players were some big names: Brian Lara, Chris Gayle, Sanath Jayasuriya and Mark Boucher, all of whom received harsh treatment from the team owners.

The former Kolkata Knight Riders' skipper upped his reserve price from $200,000 to $400,000 days ahead of the auction and it's believed that proved to be a costly error by India's most successful skipper.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well, one can expect that kind of career in any cut-throat business. one can expect them raise so fast, and fall even faster than they build up. playing for the country is definitely different to playing for money. it is all up to the person who funds him. sorry dada.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

I am sorry but with all due respect to RD (and I love him in tests) but playing him in T20 almost means to me that that team didn't find any better options.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its news to me that players can themselves set their reserve price ... imo he priced himself out, esp as he is not a great fielder, is retired from all other forms hence not expected to be at peak fitness and there are much better bowlers. someone like dwayne bravo or suresh raina bring better T20 value to the table...they do a bit of everything.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Talk about digging your own grave
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

I think the trouble is with the attitude of the Franchise bosses now. The time for brand building where iconic players are needed is over. Now the primary objective is to collect a team that has the best chance of winning. This will automatically leave behind ageing players who may have a big fan following but will not guarantee a win.
rohiths
BRFite

Post by rohiths »

Poms rubbing it on the white pakis H&D :rotfl:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/17 ... -A-waiter/
WHAT do you get if you cross the Australian cricket team with an OXO cube?
A laughing stock.

The Australian bobsleigh team have asked the Aussie cricket team for a meeting.
They want to ask their advice about going downhill so fast!

What’s the difference between Ricky Ponting and a funeral director?
A funeral director doesn’t keep losing the ashes.

Did you hear what the stump microphones picked up when The Ashes skippers tossed the coin on Boxing Day?
Andrew Strauss called correctly and, quick as a flash, said to Ricky Ponting: “You lads can bat.’’
Just as quick, Ponting replied: “No, we can’t. We really can’t.”

What do you call an Australian with a champagne bottle in his hand?
A waiter.

Of everyone in the Aussie team, who spends the most time at the crease?
The woman who irons their cricket whites.

What’s the height of optimism? An Aussie batsman putting on sunscreen.

Why did the Aussie break his leg throwing a ball?
He forgot it was chained to his foot.

What is the main function of the Australia coach?
To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

On his way out into the middle to bat, Ricky Ponting gets a call from his wife and teammate Michael Hussey tells her he’s heading out to the middle.
His wife replies: “I’ll hold, he won’t be long!”

What’s the difference between an Aussie batsman and a Formula 1 car?
Nothing! If you blink you’ll miss them both.

Who has the easiest job in the Australian squad?
The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

What do Aussie batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

What did the spectator miss when he went to the toilet?
The entire Australian innings.

What’s the Australian version of LBW?
Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Why is Ricky Ponting cleverer than Houdini?
Because he can get out without even trying.

What does Ricky Ponting put in his hands to make sure the next ball is almost certainly going to be a wicket?
A bat.

What do you call a cricket field full of Australians ?
A vacant lot.

Why do Australians call their favourite drink XXXX?
Because they can’t spell beer. :rotfl:

Why can’t Australian blokes take their girlfriends to the cricket?
They eat all the grass.

What does an Australian batsman who is playing in The Ashes have in common with Michael Jackson?
They both wore gloves for no apparent reason.

Heard the one about the Englishman who was stopped by Australian immigration officers at Sydney airport?
They asked him if he had a criminal record.
He replied: “I didn’t know it was still necessary.”

What’s the difference between Ricky Ponting and a phoenix?
At the end of the ashes, the phoenix still has a future.