Aircraft Recognition

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: Aircraft Recognition

Post by Gagan »

Drishyaman wrote:What is this ?
shiv wrote:
China Z-10 :rotfl:
The Z-10 attack helicopter is under development in China. It’s development began in the mid-1990s. Prototype of the Z-10 maid it’s maiden flight in 2003. It is expected to enter service with Chinese army in 2008 – 2009. It will be the first dedicated modern Chinese attack helicopter. It has been designed with extensive technical assistance from Eurocopter and Augusta. Primary mission of the Z-10 is ant-armor and battlefield interdiction. It also has some limited air-to-air combat capabilities.
Remember the A-129 Agusta Mangusta?
The Z-10 is the chinese copy of that.

Chor Kahin ke.
silod
BRFite -Trainee

Post by silod »

This is Beriev Bartini VVA-14, the ugliest Aircraft that I have ever seen. I am not sure how did the pilots feel who flew it.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-- ... A/1449327/
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

@Silod

It is an 'ekranoplan', a WIG aircraft, which actually is an aircraft flying close to the sea surface to take advantage of the WIG effect. It is built to a plan not intended to be beautiful but get the job done. You will see a lot of Military systems which the Russians designed or built and most are designed to get the work done and not win beauty contests.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

bartini himself was a pretty interesting guy, check out his bio.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

[youtube]=3BNbWcXNc58&feature=related[/youtube]
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Bartini was a maverick.. Unfortunately most of what he created died on paper. Yet his ideas were pretty innovative and quite ahead of his time.

A-57 Bomber
RGSR Reconnaissance Plane
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

vina wrote:
shiv wrote:I am generally no good at civil aircraft recognition. I joined up 3 photos from aero India to make a long composite photo. I have numbered 6 airraft in orange numerals. Could someone please identify them. Click on thumbnail to enlarge

1) The Raytheon Hawker 4000 (I think)
2) Dunno.. Something from Hawker Beechcraft range I suppose
3) Piaggio Avanti (a superb plane. Just what our Saras should have been like ideally and a direct competitor)

4) Pilatus PC-12 . If you want to buy one, let me know. I know someone who can finance that.

5 & 6 again from Hawker Beechcraft I would guess.
1. Phenom 100
2. Don't know.
3. Piaggio Avanti (lovely plane)
4. Cessna Grand Caravan
5. Gulfstream G200
6. Beechcraft King Air 350i
7. Hawker 4000
8. HAwker 750/800/900 (can't be sure between the three :) )
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

indranilroy wrote:
vina wrote:quote="shiv"I am generally no good at civil aircraft recognition. I joined up 3 photos from aero India to make a long composite photo. I have numbered 6 airraft in orange numerals. Could someone please identify them. Click on thumbnail to enlarge
Image/quote="shiv

1) The Raytheon Hawker 4000 (I think)
2) Dunno.. Something from Hawker Beechcraft range I suppose
3) Piaggio Avanti (a superb plane. Just what our Saras should have been like ideally and a direct competitor)

4) Pilatus PC-12 . If you want to buy one, let me know. I know someone who can finance that.

5 & 6 again from Hawker Beechcraft I would guess.
1. Phenom 100
2. Don't know.
3. Piaggio Avanti (lovely plane)
4. Cessna Grand Caravan
5. Gulfstream G200
6. Beechcraft King Air 350i
7. Hawker 4000
8. HAwker 750/800/900 (can't be sure between the three :) )
2) Its a Gulfstream 550 (look at its wing extension...splendid!!!)

PS - 4th is certainly not a Pilatus PC-12 :) I too will go with Cessna 208.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

that Beriev Bartini VVA-14 is something I would love to ride to battle! none of the "need split-airconditioned hanger" wussy crap for this one. Old school killing machine that looks the part. Infact I can almost see Chewbacca flicking some toggle switch on!

it can do conventional flight as well as ground effect. Ekranoplane monsters are the true ground effect ones. I wish these beasts were fleshed out! Imagine sending one of them to take a close look of the Malacca, with the 91 Bde on board :D
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

hnair wrote:that Beriev Bartini VVA-14 is something I would love to ride to battle! none of the "need split-airconditioned hanger" wussy crap for this one. Old school killing machine that looks the part. Infact I can almost see Chewbacca flicking some toggle switch on!

it can do conventional flight as well as ground effect. Ekranoplane monsters are the true ground effect ones. I wish these beasts were fleshed out! Imagine sending one of them to take a close look of the Malacca, with the 91 Bde on board :D
Nair saar I do recollect reading about the revival of these beasts at some point in time being planned by the Ruskies hopefully we may see them in action again!!!
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

kmkraoind wrote:
Link fixed.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Libyan pilots and diplomats defect

Two Libyan air force jets landed in Malta on Monday and their pilots have asked for political asylum.

The pilots claimed to have defected after refusing to follow orders to attack civilians protesting in Benghazi in Libya.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/afric ... 34651.html

QUESTIONS: What kind of plane is that? Are those rocket pods? Typical amament? Ferry range?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Thats a Mirage F-1
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

self Deleted
Last edited by nikhil_p on 24 Feb 2011 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
kmc_chacko
BRFite

Post by kmc_chacko »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Wait for the photo to load and...

Identify

haryanvi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by haryanvi »

That's F-5/F-20 Tigershark. It was offered to India after Pakistan had already been offered the F-16 and the deal signed. The US offered to shift the entire production line to India. Predicably, India declined the offer.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

haryanvi wrote:That's F-5/F-20 Tigershark. It was offered to India after Pakistan had already been offered the F-16 and the deal signed. The US offered to shift the entire production line to India. Predicably, India declined the offer.
That is the upper one. What about the lower one? That is the reason why I posetd these pics - I believe I have a little story here :mrgreen:
oleonau
BRFite -Trainee

Post by oleonau »

shiv wrote:
haryanvi wrote:That's F-5/F-20 Tigershark. It was offered to India after Pakistan had already been offered the F-16 and the deal signed. The US offered to shift the entire production line to India. Predicably, India declined the offer.
That is the upper one. What about the lower one? That is the reason why I posetd these pics - I believe I have a little story here :mrgreen:

Lower
JF-17 Thunder
manoba
BRFite

Post by manoba »

^^^

Shiv, lower one walks like a Thundaar, quacks like a Thundaar and flies like a Thundaar.
(Thundaar is painted below and the link reveals it's JF-17)

But what is the little story? Both fighters look similar except for the engines. Hope F-5G/F-20 hasn't got photoshoped (reengineered with single engine) as Thundaar in China!
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

kmc_chacko wrote:Image
Its a Vought V-173

(an "All wing" design plane.. however failed to move ahead of the prototype phase)
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

manoba wrote:^^^
But what is the little story? Both fighters look similar except for the engines. Hope F-5G/F-20 hasn't got photoshoped (reengineered with single engine) as Thundaar in China!
(I am about to spread a rumor :mrgreen: )

May be when Reagan Ronald punctured its export ballon.. and then elephant turned down Northrop's offer of shifting the entire assembly line somewhere near bengaluru... May be then Northrop secretly leaked few xerox copies to panda directly or via tsp to recover $$ of this unfortunate "privately financed" light fighter program.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ I wouldn't speculate that ...

AFter all a plane in a conventional layout will have a nose, a cockpit, two wings, two elevators and a rudder. So a F-16 with bottom intake will look like a J-10 and a JF-17 will look like a F-5.

Look at configurations, A canard less delta wing-single engine configuration. LCA and Mirage are of this type. They look so similar. Does it make them a copy of the other?

Similarly if you look at JF-17 and the F-5, the wing is different, the elevators is different, the wing body blending is different.

Let's not make a story where there is none.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manoba wrote: But what is the little story? Both fighters look similar except for the engines. Hope F-5G/F-20 hasn't got photoshoped (reengineered with single engine) as Thundaar in China!
The story is a little bit more complex than that - but what you say is possible in an indirect way.

In the late 1980s when Osama bin Laden was a great freedom fighter, the Chinese and the Americans were thick as thieves. China contracted Grumman corp to help her upgrade Chinese MiG 21 clones (called F-7) to create a super MiG 21 called "Super -7". What Grumman did was to put a nose cone on the design and move the intakes to the side. The nose cone of the "Super-7/Grumman Sabre II" was to house the radar of the F-20 Tigershark. Grumman was clearly playing with its own ideas about the F-5/F-20 and was trying to sell it to various nations. You probably know hat Grumman tried to palm off the F-20 to India. A sale of F-20s to Taiwan was blocked by the US government because the Chinese would get upset and get their kimkoms in a twist.

Here are photographs of the designs of Super-7/Saber-II.

Click on the image below to see the original Grumman Sabre II design, and the Super-7/FC-1 project that came later.

The Sabre-II retained MiG 21s Delta wing but from the front the design looks pretty much like what the Thundaar does today. But Grumman had to pull out because of the Tiananmen love fest. But not before they had shared ideas with China, which went on and started what was called the FC-1 project that later became the Thundaar JF-17. The FC-1 retained the nosecone of the Super-7/Saber II/F-5 and the front profile looks very similar.

But what the Chinese did for the FC-1 was to change the classic MiG 21 delta to the delta with relatively shorter chord (and longer wingspan) that we see on the Bundaar as can be seen in the head on front views in the image above.

Yesterday when I was searching for some other photos I was struck by the remarkable similarity of proportions of the Thundaar and the F--5 and realised that both have a Grumman corporation lineage. It is possible that the Chinese have taken various inputs from Grumman and I wouldn't put is past them to have used the Grumman F-20 design as a basic template for the JF-17. The JF-17 could be son of MiG 21 father and F-5/F-20 mother with Grumman being the pimp.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ Shiv ji. you are quite a conspiracy theorists. :)

Anyways jokes aside, Project Sabre II led to Super 7 led to JF-17. Putting the marriage of J-7 + F-20 to the beginning of this lineage is actually not outside the realm of reality. Actually it might very truly be the case.

Therefore I should ask forumites to ignore my previous post.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Bhat ej this?

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sid wrote:Bhat ej this?

Nowadays all imageshack images are appearing like a frog in an ice-cube. That ij what the pic appears like. Imageshack links are no longer working for some reason.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

MTA eating a hamburger :roll:
manoba
BRFite

Post by manoba »

Shiv, er… there is one small problem. Super-7/Project Sabre II is the basta*d child of Grumman Aerospace Corp. F-5G/F-20 is a souped up Northrop Corp design. Both were different companies till mid 90's.

But, as the old Chinese saying goes, everything is possible between unkil, our eastern bhaibhais and our western bhaibhais bed matting and especially with our western blood brothers bedwetting.

Northrop acquired Grumman only in 1994 to form Northrop Grumman. And guess what Pak and China joined hands to develop Thundaar in late 90's.

The story is complex indeed. But the old Chinese saying stands true since… since... time immemorial.
A prince trapped in an ice-cube waiting for a warm kiss. Or a hallucinogenic toad in someone's whisky ice-cube. Or Ice Age Scrat replaced by a Bull Frog. Or... Sorry, Sid ji… it's so tempting. Couldn't resist :D
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

In US image-toad works just fine.

Anyways that poor toad is actually Kawasaki EC-1, an electronic warfare training platform.

mukul_chou
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mukul_chou »

Hello everybody,

Identify this brother of our saras

Thanks
manoba
BRFite

Post by manoba »

shiv