Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Re: Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread

Post by Sanku »

Singha wrote:yes methinks a dose of reality has crept into high places.
I think what we are seeing now is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

A 50:50 tank force distribution between T series and Arjun.

Its just that it took longer than hoped for, but not entirely unexpected.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Singha wrote:I read somewhere tungsten can actually penetrate better than DU if the velocity goes beyond some high number like 1800 m/s which is currently not the case because thats the muzzle velocity and 2km out , it will be slower....maybe 1400-1500m/s range due to air resistance.
in future if better guns and charges are used maybe this fascination with DU will go from khan as well...always the litterbug
A good Tungsten round is so much harder to engineer and precision manufacture it , there are no easy answer when it comes to designing a good APFSDS lets say Slender and Longer versus Thicker and Shorter Sabot , the former is good in penetrating multilayer composite armour while no so effective at dealing with Heavy Metal ERA , the latter is good at defeating ERA but not that good in dealing with multilayer composite armour , in the end it boils down to optimium size L:D ratio , design , engineering ,velocity and composition of APFSDS round. The easier option is to build long and longer APFSDS round because in the end after defeating the ERA you still have to deal with and defeat composite armour.

CE is very promising area because you are not limited to KE of projectile which tends to drop drastically beyond 2-3 km and are equally good at dealing with ERA and Composite armour , so long range engagements are possible without worrying too much about accuracy but on the flip side CE lacks mass , but right now with proliferation of accurate tube launched missile and the recent success of Hand Held El Cheapo RPG against most promising western armour specially in their weak zones , CE would see much greater use.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Surya wrote:Oh really :(( I am so sad and shocked. How could they?? All the experience from Huffy and Tuffy - now what will those scientists do??

must be the non availability of a 145 mm gun

or maybe they found out they could not find 4.2 inch Indians in sufficient numbers to fit in the turretless wonder they had on design
Surya I have seen the Force article by Mr Prasun Sengupta , He is more of the school of thought that Arjun should be further evolved instead of working on new lighter 50 T FMBT.

But recent reports by Frontline and Hindu suggest if its any body then DRDO is more excited about FMBT project , perhaps as R&D instititution they are naturally inclined to be more exciting and challenging new projects.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Well, Mr. Prasun Gupta's writings and reality are not exactly on same most of the time....in fact, in F Mag, it is his jargon filled nonsense that I really hate.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

noob question : I've often come across Huffy & Tuffy quotes. Can the garus shed some light on who are these Huffy & Tuffy gents?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Here you go sire, the pride of the IA BRD:
Hunky / Tuffy
With changing trends in guerilla warfare tactics used by insurgent groups it is necessary for the troops to contain a threat with multi-role armoured vehicles. For troops deployed in counter-insurgency and security operations in the Northern and North-Eastern commands, bullet and splinter-proof vehicles have become the need of the day. Keeping this in view, for the first time Corps of EME of the Indian Army has developed two bullet-proof vehicles that are also equipped with latest communication system, night vision devices and wide range of fire power.

Both Hunky and Tuffy are ergonomically designed air-conditioned vehicles to accommodate six and four-member crew respectively. While Hunky, the medium bullet-proof vehicle, has a protection against small arms, splinters and IEDs, Tuffy, the lighter version, has a Swedish bullet-proof shield against fire from a distance of 10 metres. Both of the vehicles have splinter-proof glasses in the windows and windscreens and have sliding firing ports for firing of personal weapons. A variety of weapons ranging from LMGs, MMGs and missiles can be fitted on a mount which has a 360 degree traverse on both the vehicles. Hunky, developed by 505 Army Base Workshop, Delhi Cantonment, can store provisions in sliding racks that operate with feather touch. The concept can surely give an added edge to the troops in tough terrain as versatility and comfort has been a key area of emphasis in developing these vehicles.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Austin

There is an FMBT and there is an FMBT

there is one which was a red herring thrown up by the characters like the former DGMF who wanted some sort of future Russian colloboration. that had all sort of failed russian wet dreams like 145 mm gun ( a fav of philip saar)

Also there is nothing futuristic of any of this and we are not in any position to develop futuristic tech.

I am actually inclined with both Chor and Singha

its a good idea to use the Arjun and work out lighter \ heavier derivatives of it with technologies that have matured.

that FMBT I can live with it. its FMBT only in hyped up terminolgy but I can live with it
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Surya wrote:there is one which was a red herring thrown up by the characters like the former DGMF who wanted some sort of future Russian colloboration. that had all sort of failed russian wet dreams like 145 mm gun ( a fav of philip saar)
I doubt we will ever go back to the Russian after the T-90 deal and after maturing of Arjun platform. Regarding caliber of MG , the NATO standard caliber after 120 mm was suppose to be 140 mm and they have tested on on leo platform ..Russian caliber after 125 mm was to be 152 mm and that was the T-95 , both cold war era monster never went beyond that both project was abandoned.

So the caliber of tanks is not going to change for a long time to come in any FMBT projects that going on , all parties are going to stick with what they have and make it better.
its a good idea to use the Arjun and work out lighter \ heavier derivatives of it with technologies that have matured.
They should stick with what works rather then spending money in new development , so Arjun can be a model for future FMBT and can be evolved further , atleast thats their best bet for a low risk high returns FMBT project.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

koti wrote:
Kanson wrote: Thanks, let me check. What is the ERA package weight in T-90S? Not sure, but remember that it is around 3 ton, is it true?
It is true sir. However, it is the weight of the total array, Arjun might not use the entire array.
Each K-5 brick weighs around 10.5 Kgs.
Thank You Sir. Initially I too was under such impression. But going through this interview gave me a different message. It says not only on the front, but top and sides will have ERA protection. That is I say, like CIA T-72, a complete array. And it weighs just 1.5 tonnes as that of ERA package for CIA T-72.

Whatever could be ERA in T-90S, Kaktus, Relikt or Kontakt, I was given the impression that it weighs more than 1.5 ton in Indian T-90S. So if we can conclusively arrive at the weight of ERA package in T-90S - doesn't matter which type of ERA it has - we can conclusively prove that ERA on Arjun Mk2 will not be of Russian origin.

Link
Another upgrade will see the introduction of an explosive reactive armour panel which will comprise explosives in metallic brick form. These bricks will be mounted not only on the front slope of Arjun-Mk-II tank, but all round it as well.

When the enemy ammunition hits these bricks, they will explode and retard the energy of the projectile, which then cannot penetrate the tank's armour.

The penalty for using these bricks is that they will add 1.5 tonnes to the tank's weight. But we can prevent top attack and side attack. We can add to the tank's protection from missiles and rocket-propelled grenades,” the DRDO Chief Controller said.
Can some gent answer this simple question : How can we visually identify between Kaktus, Relikt or kontakt ERA blocks?

Further something to chew:
P. Sivakumar, CVRDE Director, said Arjun-Mk-II would have a total of 93 upgrades, including the advanced air defence gun system for firing at attack helicopters. The Army had placed an indent for production of 124 Arjun-Mk II tanks.

In phase I, 45 tanks will roll out with 56 upgrades, including the missile firing capability and the commander's panoramic sight with night vision.

In phase II, the remaining 79 tanks, with all the 93 improvements, will come off the assembly line. “By 2013-14, the first batch of around 30 tanks will go out,” Dr. Sivakumar said.

According to Mr. Sundaresh, these 124 Arjun-Mk II tanks would cost Rs.5,000 crores.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Austin

Once it gets past 125 mm i throw out any number in sarcasm :)

I have never believed in Russian higher caliber tank guns which were desperate attempts to compensate for other problems

Reast of your post - yes - we finally have some agreement for way forward. Incremental changes and derivatives
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Aiyyo...Surya da using smiling smiley in bakhtarbandh dhaaga......Arjun seems to doing real good. <And TinCans really-2 getting smacked>
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if they develop a unmanned turret for mk3 and it proves as capable and reliable as a manned turret, might save 5 tons in weight surely. if at all weight reduction is a big issue. the ammo could stored inside the smaller turret and crew of 3 sit outside it in fixed position...

a unmanned remote control smaller version with no turret but ultra thick hull armour and lots of defusing gizmos could be put to work as a mine clearing dozer.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I think all gurus agree with me if I say there seems to be no possibility of us facing any Tanks other than from Pakiland and Lizard. Paki armor is a joke expect may be T80 (Of course Al Kalid is a super duper world best Tank and no one can face it) and even T80 I am not sure it gives any major advantage to Pakis over T90S we have and in large no’s. Coming to "Type" things which Lizard is producing with various no's once again Tincan 90 seems to sufficient. Hence Arjun even in Mark1 level with reasonable no's say 1200 backed by all the Tincans already ordered (provided they have ammo from Natasha and all the bells and whistles working as promised) will give good advantage to India. May be even overwhelming advantage. In fact we may be having the best Armor in Eurasia region except for Russians with some 2000 T90S already ordered some 1000 plus T 72 updated and a 1200 Arjun of any Mark.

So why there is a need to FMBT or whatever our Army wants in near future? Do the IA foreseen that we have to fight Amirikhan in near future? or is there some super duper Lizard hot S**t under development unknown to me? To my knowledge there is no major Tank development going on in West or east. Nothing of a game changing coming up in near future from anywhere. So why this idea of IA about development of FMBT other than stall Arjun production and maturity of Arjun variants. By now Army must of learned a lot bitter lessons with T90 drama which they themselves enacted to stall order of Arjun. Correct me if I am wrong in this assesment of mine.

May be there is a Borg Invasion scheduled for 2020 and we need matter/anti- matter Engine powered tank with Warp 9 speed and inter galactic range with Phazer Gun which can shoot 0.9 light years distance with possible up gradation option to TransWarp drive. I do not know.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

russia 'theoritically' has around 20,000 tanks in heavy grease and mothballs that could in a matter of months be brought back into active service either to fight the capitalist running dogs or a borg invasion or both :)
but realistically they have none of the manpower, logistics, command chain or even enough POL/ammo to put a 20,000 tank army into the playing field and sustain it meaningfully. even american tanks are mostly in heavy mothballs in the boneyard...reports speak of 6000 abrams being kept in the desert, sometimes restored and used to replace attrition and worn out active tanks. the Dutch have given up all tanks, the germans and brits are drawing down tank forces heavily. the chinese like to parade their later "type-N" , produce one token regiment and then move to "type-N+1" ... they are not facing any serious tank threat.

i believe russia have around 700 t90 tanks and maybe equal number of older tanks with active divisions and thats about it.

maybe we should ensure Arjun Mk2 is as good as any western heavy and then focus on a 45t wheeled / tracked matrix vehicle based on arjun tech (the polish light tank could be a template) that can support the Mk2 in a combined arms move into tibet....adding on huge amts of SP guns, mlrs and helicopters to form khan style "corps++" style manouver groups centered on overstrength arjun mk2 combat brigades + LCH gunships.
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Narayana Rao wrote:So why there is a need to FMBT or whatever our Army wants in near future? Do the IA foreseen that we have to fight Amirikhan in near future? or is there some super duper Lizard hot S**t under development unknown to me? To my knowledge there is no major Tank development going on in West or east. Nothing of a game changing coming up in near future from anywhere. So why this idea of IA about development of FMBT other than stall Arjun production and maturity of Arjun variants. By now Army must of learned a lot bitter lessons with T90 drama which they themselves enacted to stall order of Arjun. Correct me if I am wrong in this assesment of mine.
because -

1. If we start today (which we are not doing), research institutes will get enough breathing space to innovate and play around with possible futuristic technologies (before army looses patience and starts importing).

2. Any tech which we developed and all the experience which we gained in the development cycle of Arjun will 100% utilized in the FMBT.

3. However if won't continue our research, the knowledge and invaluable experience gained will die or become obselete with time.

4. There is significant number of people who think Arjun is a design of late 80's.

5. We can innovate for a 45-50 ton design with similar/better features.

6. Arjun is a product which slowly but finally have matured to meet the challanges we face today, but if we aim to be a major palyer we have to and we must aim to gain upper hand in every possible technological frontier.

USA is killing AK-47 firing talibans with UAV's.. why? Because this is how you show that you are a super power.

7. The century of europe is over, the greatness of united states is bumping the top ceiling, its we asians who have still some space left over our heads, to Rise and we have money to fuel our growth. We can't sit idle bcoz europeans or americans are not doing much. They didn't sat idle in 20th century when we were struggling for bread and butter. Its our turn and we have to carry the baton.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Singha wrote:the chinese like to parade their later "type-N" , produce one token regiment and then move to "type-N+1" ... they are not facing any serious tank threat.
More importantly, they don't like/trust tanks too much. The Chinese love their Engineers and Artillery. Most senior officers made their careers learning how to trap-and-kill Soviet tanks (it was a very serious tank threat, while it lasted). The recent Sino-Pak defensive exercises are somewhat worrying for this very reason, because London to a Brick they are teaching the Paks the same old tricks and arming them quite cost-effectively (ATGMs, 122mm and A100 artillery).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if we could produce a desi clone of CV90-120 using arjun tech at a cheaper cost say 60% of arjun, would it be a useful add to infantry divs and recce brigades?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQUVUFgTmg

I am thinking in Ahuja sir's scenario of indian defenders in ladakh, some of these could potentially have fared much better than the BMP2s.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

ParGha wrote:
Singha wrote:the chinese like to parade their later "type-N" , produce one token regiment and then move to "type-N+1" ... they are not facing any serious tank threat.
More importantly, they don't like/trust tanks too much. The Chinese love their Engineers and Artillery. Most senior officers made their careers learning how to trap-and-kill Soviet tanks (it was a very serious tank threat, while it lasted). The recent Sino-Pak defensive exercises are somewhat worrying for this very reason, because London to a Brick they are teaching the Paks the same old tricks and arming them quite cost-effectively (ATGMs, 122mm and A100 artillery).
ParGha, any recco on books on PLA warfighting philosophy...past and present?Thanks.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I would say IA insist on Trophy or similar home grown active protection system in addition to the best ERA choice be it kevlar composite based or other imports. Providing this feature increases survivability which is key to many front line tanks.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^
60% of the cost of the Arjun goes on imported components. Practically all of that goes on just three components --- the power pack; the gunner's main sight (GMS); and the gun control equipment (GCE).
so, that would be $4.8M for just these three components. wow! if you go by $8M per Arjun 2. Of course, I can not verify that.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

how difficult would it be to create Sudarshan sort of glide kits but GPS (+GLONASS) mems based to artillery rounds? the tail piece may be folded wings on the side of a metal cap screwed on at the bottom of the round

Pinaka-2 rocket was supposed to be GPS based as well
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Russia denies allegations over Indian T-90 tank contract
Moscow is puzzled over Indian media rumors claiming that Russia refuses to fulfill a decade-old contract on licensed production of T-90S main battle tanks in India, a Russian defense industry source said.

“The Russian side is timely and completely fulfilling all agreements with India on the licensed production of T-90 tanks, including the delivery of all necessary components and the transfer of technical documentation,” the source said on Tuesday.

India’s Business Standard said on November 28 that the licensed production of T-90 tanks was “hamstrung by Moscow’s obstruction in transferring technology and the Russian-built assemblies needed even for the India-built tanks.”

“It is difficult to say why these allegations have emerged,” the Russian source said, adding that all controversial issues on the arms contracts with India are promptly resolved by the Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission on military-technical cooperation.

Russian diplomatic sources in India believe that the media rumors reflect the attempts by the Indian side to shift the responsibility for its own inability to manage the production of sophisticated military equipment.

India ordered 310 T-90s in 2001 following delays in the manufacturing of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank and Pakistan's decision to purchase the T-80 from Ukraine. A contract was also signed for the licensed production of another 1,000 T-90s.

Initial disagreements with Russia over transfer of technology were resolved at the end of 2008, according to official statements on both sides.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Russian diplomatic sources in India believe that the media rumors reflect the attempts by the Indian side to shift the responsibility for its own inability to manage the production of sophisticated military equipment.
:roll: :rotfl:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

they meant perhaps we are not capable of managing sophisticated T90 production.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Wow....quite some arrogance even in a diplomatic note!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Austin wrote:Russia denies allegations over Indian T-90 tank contract
Moscow is puzzled over Indian media rumors claiming that Russia refuses to fulfill a decade-old contract on licensed production of T-90S main battle tanks in India, a Russian defense industry source said.

“The Russian side is timely and completely fulfilling all agreements with India on the licensed production of T-90 tanks, including the delivery of all necessary components and the transfer of technical documentation,” the source said on Tuesday.

India’s Business Standard said on November 28 that the licensed production of T-90 tanks was “hamstrung by Moscow’s obstruction in transferring technology and the Russian-built assemblies needed even for the India-built tanks.”

“It is difficult to say why these allegations have emerged,” the Russian source said, adding that all controversial issues on the arms contracts with India are promptly resolved by the Russian-Indian intergovernmental commission on military-technical cooperation.

India ordered 310 T-90s in 2001 following delays in the manufacturing of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank and Pakistan's decision to purchase the T-80 from Ukraine. A contract was also signed for the licensed production of another 1,000 T-90s.

Initial disagreements with Russia over transfer of technology were resolved at the end of 2008, according to official statements on both sides.
At the same time the article does not mention why it took till 2008 to clarify issues regarding TOT when the discussions started in decade ago??? I am sure that if we allow them Russians would throw the blame of the fiasco of Vikramaditya on Indian navy and declare themselves as 400% pious people.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The Russians are correct

Shankar and Philip will confirm that we could not handle the next generation tech they handed to us.

that is why we need them for the FMBT and it should be manufactured in Siberia.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Boss your rants are equally polarised albiet to the other extreme.

The allegations about Ru going for a higher calibre smoothbore canon to compensate for 'some' other problems are a myth propagated by foggy bottoms in DC; the fact is when it comes to MBT Russians were pretty much setting the standards right since the first T-34 rolled out from factory. The T-72 was very much in production with it's autoloader and the 125mm smoothbore gun even before Americans settled for the Rhienmetall gun and even on the armour front T-72s superior armour forced Americans to come up with the M829 APFSDS round for the M1A Abrams.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
Read somewhere that the reason that the Russians opted for smoothbore cannon very early on had to do with their philosophy of putting more priority on simplicity of design and ease of manufacture. The idea was that one could manufacture 2-3 smoothbore cannon in the time that it took to make one rifled cannon and it required less specialized equipment to make smoothbores as well, which meant that one could continue to make them even if part of the factory got destroyed in wartime. This philosophy was based on their WW-II experiences, when a number of factories were leveled by the Germans and the Russians had to manufacture weaponry in hastily constructed open-air factories. That's why a number of weapon designs that they produced after WW-II put emphasis on ease of manufacture and maintenance first. Another good example of this philosophy is the AK-47. During the design competition for a new rifle, a couple of the competitor rifles were cheaper to make and had better accuracy. However, the AK-47 design had the best reliability and least parts wear and the committee decision was made that it was better to have a not-so-accurate-but-durable-and-reliable firearm than an accurate-but-less-reliable firearm.

As a bonus, the Russians discovered that smoothbores produce higher velocities than rifled cannons, so they simply used this feature to their advantage.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

ArmenT wrote: As a bonus, the Russians discovered that smoothbores produce higher velocities than rifled cannons, so they simply used this feature to their advantage.
Also smooth bores are easier to maintain as there is no wearing out of rifling.

Once FSABOTs were the main AT weapons, rifling became strict liability than a advantage as far as tanks were concerned.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Col Shukla is the new best friend of US of A.

Plain and simple, nothing more nothing less.
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

Oh! please, please explain us how so? Because, he has not been too kind to the T90 in his assessment? Some members have gone to the extent of questioning his officer like qualities!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Sanku wrote:Col Shukla is the new best friend of US of A.

While that may be so, how is that comment relevant here, considering that the US of A has no dog in this fight? Shooting the messenger, are we?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Sanku wrote:Once FSABOTs were the main AT weapons, rifling became strict liability than a advantage as far as tanks were concerned.
Rifled Gun are quite good for certain kind of weapons like HESH round for long range shots ~ 4 km or so it give much better accuracy and with 20 kg of raw explosive in HESH rounds its good enough to destroy most common non-heavy armoured target and its a much cheaper option bang per buck , else for smooth bore you end up using expensive intelligent fuses to achieve the same goal.

For the rest like APFSDS , HEAT or even Missile Smooth Bore is ideal , since they do not need to spin to stabalise itself , I read for LAHAT round they used some kind of rubber coating to prevent it from spinning

Considering they are continuing with Rifled Gun for Mk2 they probably see merit in continuing with Rifled Gun , probably good enough for most task and for long range anti-tank shots beyond effective range of APFSDS they can use the missile now that they have that option for Mk2
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Austin wrote:
Considering they are continuing with Rifled Gun for Mk2 they probably see merit in continuing with Rifled Gun , probably good enough for most task and for long range anti-tank shots beyond effective range of APFSDS they can use the missile now that they have that option for Mk2
Austin saab, even during the heydays of Arjun bashing, I don't remember its gun ever being disparaged in the media. No one even thought of cooking up a story about it (a la torsion bar). So if it ain't broke , don't fix it, no matter how much certain posters here are pained by us not following in Russian footsteps.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

nachiket wrote:Austin saab, even during the heydays of Arjun bashing, I don't remember its gun ever being disparaged in the media. No one even thought of cooking up a story about it (a la torsion bar). So if it ain't broke , don't fix it, no matter how much certain posters here are pained by us not following in Russian footsteps.
Its not about bashing or supporting Arjun gun , my response to Sanku is more on pros and cons of each gun , If i say HESH round is not good for Smooth Bore it does not mean I am bashing Smooth Bore guns or smooth bore is poor choice.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

nachiket wrote:
Sanku wrote:Col Shukla is the new best friend of US of A.

While that may be so, how is that comment relevant here, considering that the US of A has no dog in this fight? Shooting the messenger, are we?
No, not shooting the messenger. Merely reminding whose messenger the messenger is.

And not all messages are true, all sorts of messages are sent by all parties for all reasons, right?