Indian Railways Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Railways Thread

Postby chaanakya » 07 Nov 2011 14:38

Aditya_V wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, is there a train from Goa to Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Kolkotta. If such is not there, why is it the case?

17311 Madras Vasco Express running every friday Dep 1410 Arr 1300 Next day. 2A, 3A SL

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 07 Nov 2011 16:53

chaanakya wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, is there a train from Goa to Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Kolkotta. If such is not there, why is it the case?

17311 Madras Vasco Express running every friday Dep 1410 Arr 1300 Next day. 2A, 3A SL

Thanks

SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Postby SBajwa » 07 Nov 2011 22:51

Aditya

This is a special tourism train for new year celebrations at Goa for Punjab/Haryana/Himachal.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 09 Nov 2011 18:20

SBajwa wrote:Aditya

This is a special tourism train for new year celebrations at Goa for Punjab/Haryana/Himachal.

I was not questioning why a train, in fact every part of the country should be connected to other parts by Direct trains/ flights to make it easier for people to travel.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 09 Nov 2011 22:54

^
+1. Agree.
----------------------------

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=77064

The total approximate earnings of Indian Railways on originating basis during 1st April – 31st October 2011 were Rs. 57338.09 crore compared to Rs. 52065.87 crore during the same period last year, registering an increase of 10.13 per cent.

The total goods earnings have gone up from Rs. 34629.22 crore during 1st April – 31st October 2010 to Rs. 38085.83 crore during 1st April – 31st October 2011, an increase of 9.98 per cent.

The total passenger revenue earnings during first seven months of the financial year 2011-12 were Rs. 16321.09 crore compared to Rs. 14874.38 crore during the same period last year, registering an increase of 9.73 per cent.

The revenue earnings from other coaching amounted to Rs. 1619.05 crore during April- October 2011 compared to Rs. 1439.18 crore during the same period last year, an increase of 12.50 per cent.

The total approximate number of passengers booked during April- October 2011 were 4817.67 million compared to 4574.32 million during the same period last year, showing an increase of 5.32 per cent. In the suburban and non-suburban sectors, the number of passengers booked during April- October 2011 were 2424.72 million and 2392.95 million compared to 2333.79 million and 2240.53 million during the same period last year, showing an increase of 3.90 per cent and 6.80 per cent respectively.

Avik
BRFite

Postby Avik » 09 Nov 2011 23:19

Once the regular lines are freed up, then I guess we should start realigning the tracks for high speed travel. That should be more cost effective than creating a brand new elevated corridor. What do you guys think???

Well the existing railway lines cater to large number of passengers from Tier II, III, IV cities and towns and villages. So, the regular passenger services will continue to call at these stations, thereby, slowing down the high speed services. And these passenger services will only continue to grow to serve short and medium distance commuter requirements.

Moreover, true high speed services will require heavier tracks, which require greater ballasting, heavier sleepers. and they also require more straight line sections and fenced-off sections. So, in effect, we would need to create new tracks for true high speed services, like TGV etc.

That said, transfer of majority of goods services to the DFCs will help speed up our regular trains by about 10-15 kmph. What will really help increase the speed of these regular services is to expand the current 2 track system to 3 or ideally 4 track system. So, 2 tracks for local and commuter services, and 2 tracks for higher speed long distance services, like Rajdhani, Shatabdi etc.

anishns
BRFite

Postby anishns » 09 Nov 2011 23:49

Was this posted before?

Robbed of seats on train, city college girls panic, escape

This is honestly atrocious behavior and no one will be penalized....which is the real sad part :cry: :cry:

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 09 Nov 2011 23:57

Avik wrote:Well the existing railway lines cater to large number of passengers from Tier II, III, IV cities and towns and villages. So, the regular passenger services will continue to call at these stations, thereby, slowing down the high speed services. And these passenger services will only continue to grow to serve short and medium distance commuter requirements.

Moreover, true high speed services will require heavier tracks, which require greater ballasting, heavier sleepers. and they also require more straight line sections and fenced-off sections. So, in effect, we would need to create new tracks for true high speed services, like TGV etc.

None of these are show stoppers.

The passenger services will have to use branch lines, which they do anyway. The trunk lines can then be speeded up and straightened out to 200 kmph+. There are quite a few sections around/between major cities that can handle these speeds already but for fenced access control....

Avik
BRFite

Postby Avik » 10 Nov 2011 00:54

The passenger services will have to use branch lines, which they do anyway.

What branch lines are you talking about? Let me take a few examples- New Delhi-Agra, Mumbai- Vadodara and Chennai-Bangalore. So, if a passenger has to travel between Faridabad and Mathura in the New Delhi-Agra section, what other lines exist that allow him to undertake this journey from Faridabad to Mathura other than the Delhi-Agra trunk route?; or for instance, if someone wants to travel from Arakkonam to Jolarpet, what branch lines are there as an alternate to the Chennai- Bangalore trunk route?

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 10 Nov 2011 01:49

Passengers would have to transfer where rural routes cross trunk lines.

For instance passenger train would run back & forth from Tirupati-Arrakonam-Kanchipuram-Chengalpet stopping at all the rural stops. Passengers would transfer to trunk line @ Arrakonam or Chengalpet.

Alternately we could go the Japan rout of having a third line only for locals. This is not that difficult as once we access control the 50 feet of wasted side right of way can be put to use to carry another line. Real complication will be to control access between passenger and dual high speed trunk line. don't need local passengers crossing over.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 10 Nov 2011 14:06

anishns wrote:Was this posted before?

Robbed of seats on train, city college girls panic, escape

This is honestly atrocious behavior and no one will be penalized....which is the real sad part :cry: :cry:

what has happened to the remaining 29 girls still on the train?

Avik
BRFite

Postby Avik » 10 Nov 2011 17:11

For instance passenger train would run back & forth from Tirupati-Arrakonam-Kanchipuram-Chengalpet stopping at all the rural stops. Passengers would transfer to trunk line @ Arrakonam or Chengalpet.

Theo- Thats the North-South alignment. So, what happens to commuter services on the East-West alignment, e.g, Arakonam to Jolarpet? Well it has to be on the main trunk route.

http://www.irfca.org/faq/faq-map-13.html#map

So, the only way to speed up services on the trunk route is:

What will really help increase the speed of these regular services is to expand the current 2 track system to 3 or ideally 4 track system. So, 2 tracks for local and commuter services, and 2 tracks for higher speed long distance services, like Rajdhani, Shatabdi etc.

Avik
BRFite

Postby Avik » 10 Nov 2011 17:16

Simply because I was a bit lazy to put all the information on paper and just subdued everything with re-alignment does not necessary mean that I don't know what it takes :D Do you really want me to spell out the whole 9 yards, :roll: !!! Sigh !!! These days people don't go by the poster value and expect me to put everything down :mrgreen:

nuka ji: For mere mortals like me, the SDRE variety that is, clairvoyance is a skill too far :lol:

I would request your supreme indulgence to pls peel the onion peels more so that I can comprehend your genius :-o

You might have read what I had humbly suggested:

What will really help increase the speed of these regular services is to expand the current 2 track system to 3 or ideally 4 track system. So, 2 tracks for local and commuter services, and 2 tracks for higher speed long distance services, like Rajdhani, Shatabdi etc.

Namaskaaram

neerajb
BRFite

Postby neerajb » 10 Nov 2011 17:48

anishns wrote:Singha saar Airline reservation systems (notably Travelport) in maasaland are still somewhat on Mainframes and code written in Cobol. That should hardly be an excuse...

Singha wrote:I believe they did try once to make it a more modern web based thing but it failed. the back end is still CMC code developed in early 90s and clearly showing its age.

VPARS/TPF is basically the system that rides the IBM mainframes to provide the core for high volume transaction systems like airline reservation systems/credit card systems etc. The genesis of TPF dates back to 60s when it was introduced as airline specific reservation system ACP. TPF customers include GDSs : SABRE, Amadeus, HP Shares, Travelport; Airlines : KLM, Singapore, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways etc; MISC : VISA, American Express, Amtrak and NYPD's 911. The coding is basically in assembly language but C is used now days as well. Why this expensive antiquated 60s technology is being used today? Because no other platform so far have been able to achieve the speed and availability of this system. Can IR afford it? Possibly No.

Cheers....

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 10 Nov 2011 20:07

Avik,

Yes, that can definitely work near cities. In fact it has mostly been done already in most large cities. It has not ended congestion in any way. For instance it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to go from Egmore to Chegelpet (I've timed it) despite 4 lines and a non-stop run because of access control, speed restrictions and signalling issues. In Chennai they are talking of 6 lines in some areas now. To go high-speed you still need to access separate the locals from the High speed lines. This is the clear challenge. There is no reason Trains can't thunder past say Mambalam station at 150 kmph. At which point Egmore to Chengelpet will be 15 minutes.

Out in the countryside, triple lines are a little extravagant. We could go with something similar to Mini-Shinkansen. These can run at high speed but also run on feeder routes. An occasional specially designed local train is allowed to enter the high speed system. Once high speed trunk lines are fully operation typically there will be a train every 3-5 minutes or so. Even less if we have to. Something like 500 trains on one direction alone every single day. It is quite trivial to vary the stoppage pattern to ensure full coverage. We could always intersperse a dozen or so mini-high speeds along the trunk routes.

The vast majority however will have to tranship at major nodes. This is not a problem as trains will be starting every 5-10 minutes.
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 10 Nov 2011 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Avik
BRFite

Postby Avik » 11 Nov 2011 00:04

We could go with something similar to Mini-Shinkansen. These can run at high speed but also run on feeder routes. An occasional specially designed local train is allowed to enter the high speed system.

I agree with this. In fact, I would go a little further, and say that our high speed railway network would probably be similar to Germany's Ruhr- Rhine corridor, which has large population centres in close proximity, where the high speed service needs to call at. This is very similar to India for corridors like Delhi-Agra, Mum-Ahmedabad and Del-Chandigarh/Jalandhar, where the train would have to call at 3-4 stations in a run of 300 KMS for the service to be economically viable.
For the high speed tracks, there are three options:
1) Expand the scope of the freight corridors and have two dedicated lines for the high speed passenger trains, in addition to the planned two track system for freight. Land acquisition, as part of the freight corridor project would also be relatively easier. the possible downside is that atleast the Western Freight Corridor in a lot of areas is away from existing population centres, thereby, impacting usage
2) Expand the existing trunk routes to 3-4 track system from the current double line system.This idea has merit because the IR owns land typically about 50 m on both sides of the track. The loco shed, stations, maintenance, operation, electric sub stations infra exist, and we can probably run services akin to Austria's Railjet on these expanded lines. This might actually be the cheapest system to launch.
The downside here will be land acqusition in urban areas, where buildings are in close proximity to existing tracks. And expanding/broadening embankments in rural areas. A large part of our track network in East and South India is built on embankments. These embankments act as barriers to natural water flow, and had caused major havoc in the 19'th century when they were originally built. I am not sure whether these embankments based routes can be further widened to take on two more tracks.
3) This option is the China/ Korea/France option of having dedicated high speed tracks, built on pylon supported dedicated corridors. It can be built relatively quickly, but we will have to build link lines to mid way cities and towns as the high speed track will pass a lot of these towns on the outskirts.

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Postby kmkraoind » 11 Nov 2011 20:14

Tatkal reservation period reduced to 24 hrs - Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Plagued by increasing number of complaints in Tatkal booking scheme, the Railways today decided to reduce the advance reservation period of the scheme from two days to one day as part of measure to prevent misuse of the facility.

Besides, the restriction for agents will be extended from one hour to two hours (8 am to 10 am) and there will be no refund on confirmed Tatkal tickets subject to the exceptions such as cancellation of trains and late running trains.

"It was necessary to make changes in Tatkal scheme as there were many complaints against Tatkal bookings. We had to take some steps to prevent its misuse. All these changes will be effective within a week," Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi told reporters here.

Tatkal tickets shall be sold only on production of the identity proof and there shall be only four passengers per PNR for Tatkal tickets.

Trivedi said Tatkal reservation period was reduced from 48 hours to 24 hours to prevent its misuse by unscrupulous elements who resort to speculative booking.

According to the changed system, no duplicate Tatkal tickets shall be issued now and it would be done only in exceptional cases on payment of full fare including Tatkal charges.

"We are also planning to introduce a whistle-blower scheme to catch hold of touts who are indulging in misusing of reservation facilities. We are also installing CCTV in the booking area to keep a vigil at the counters,"
Trivedi said.

krishnan
BRF Oldie

Postby krishnan » 11 Nov 2011 21:14

In fact they should levy 50% cancellation fee on all confirmed ticket.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 14 Nov 2011 16:19

Tiny device from IIT-Kanpur can prevent derailment
After fabricating Jugnu, the country's tiniest satellite launched last month, Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur graduates have now come up with a matchbox-sized device to monitor wear and tear of railway tracks and prevent derailment.

The new device is aimed at replacing a bulky, box-like contraption that is currently used by Indian Railways.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 15 Nov 2011 17:25

Had a chance to travel back & forth by Charminar Express between Chennai and Hyderabad a couple of days back. The train,like most other trains (except Pandyan Express) that I travelled by in the last year, was pathetic in maintenance. Even I A/C cabins & toilets were unclean and unworthy of being used. Besides, the compartment violently jerked (as though it was hitting the next compartment) every time the train stopped, slowed down or started. I have never experienced this much violence in any other electrified section.

Then, while I was waiting at the Hyderabad Jn for my train, a passing through train waiting there caught fire right in front of my eyes. There was black smoke and fire billowing out of three compartments. Luckily, all passengers escaped. If fire had broken out 10 mts later, it could have been a major problem because the train was about to leave. There was no fire fighting equipment in the station. They tried to douse the fire with hoses meant for filling up water in the compartments. They shunted out these coaches and unfortunately moved them right under the only passenger overbridge for accessing other platforms. This delayed all the other trains waiting for departure. Though every railway employee pitched in to control the fire, there was no organized attempt and nobody seemed to be in-charge. All in all, not very inspiring.

merlin
BRF Oldie

Postby merlin » 15 Nov 2011 21:38

SSridhar wrote:Had a chance to travel back & forth by Charminar Express between Chennai and Hyderabad a couple of days back. The train,like most other trains (except Pandyan Express) that I travelled by in the last year, was pathetic in maintenance. Even I A/C cabins & toilets were unclean and unworthy of being used. Besides, the compartment violently jerked (as though it was hitting the next compartment) every time the train stopped, slowed down or started. I have never experienced this much violence in any other electrified section.

Then, while I was waiting at the Hyderabad Jn for my train, a passing through train waiting there caught fire right in front of my eyes. There was black smoke and fire billowing out of three compartments. Luckily, all passengers escaped. If fire had broken out 10 mts later, it could have been a major problem because the train was about to leave. There was no fire fighting equipment in the station. They tried to douse the fire with hoses meant for filling up water in the compartments. They shunted out these coaches and unfortunately moved them right under the only passenger overbridge for accessing other platforms. This delayed all the other trains waiting for departure. Though every railway employee pitched in to control the fire, there was no organized attempt and nobody seemed to be in-charge. All in all, not very inspiring.

IR has been going downhill for a long time now, I basically stopped using it when I discovered rats roaming around even in II AC. I'm not going to pay good money to have rats trying to crawl all over me.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 17 Nov 2011 09:23

Meanwhile...

...my personal pet peeve is quietly getting going. They seem to be getting serious and might, just might, start building some thing soon. I'll settle for a rusty fence. Just a reminder this project was proposed in 2003!! :(

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 748607.cms

After initial hiccups, the Dedicated Freight Corridor is back on tracks with funding for the country's biggest infrastructure project tied up and more than half the land needed acquired.

The eastern part of the freight corridor (1,534 km) will stretch from Ludhiana to Dankuni while the western corridor (1,839 km) will run from Mumbai (Jawaharlal Nehru Port) to Dadri.

The World Bank has agreed to a loan of $2.7 billion to fund the Ludhiana-Mughalsarai section. Mughalsarai to Sonnagar (66 km) will be funded by the Centre and work on this stretch has already started. Sonnagar to Dankuni will be done on a public-private partnership mode.

The Bank has sanctioned $975 million for the Khurja-Kanpur (350 km) stretch and work will start early next year. There will be another two installments for which the Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation (DFCC) will have to fulfill conditions like land acquisition and award of civil work contracts. In Phase-2, appraisal for Khurja-Ludhiana and Kanpur-Mughalsarai section will be completed by March next year and work is expected to start in 2013.

The western corridor is funded by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) that has agreed to provide a loan of 679 billion yen. It has already sanctioned 405 billion yen for construction between Rewari and Makarpura (Vadodara). On the western corridor, construction of 54 major bridges is going on in full swing between Mumbai and Surat. Work on the 625-km Rewari-Palanpur stretch expected to be started soon. "The project is on track. The loans have been approved. The land is being acquired," R K Gupta, DFCC MD, told TOI.

DFCC has already acquired 50% of the 10,840 hectares required for the project, despite the involvement of 1 lakh affected people. "The entire land acquisition process is expected to be completed by June 2012," Gupta said.

The government is also restoring the autonomy of the organization that was taken away after reported corruption to speed up Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's pet project. The proposal for longer tenure for engineers working on deputation in DFCC was in consideration.

At present, the golden quadrilateral -- the rail routes connecting Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata -- account for just 16% of the rail network's length, but carry more than 50% of India's total rail freight.

sum
BRF Oldie

Postby sum » 20 Nov 2011 15:09

Now northeast & south come closer

Until Friday night, Bijan Sonowal could think of nothing much other than his uncle Niranjan's kidney ailment and their upcoming journey to Vellore for his treatment.

On Saturday morning, some of that anxiety lifted for Bijan, a resident of Silapathar of upper Assam's Dhemaji district. When he and other members of his farming family boarded the train for Vellore at Dibrugarh, they learnt they were going to be part of a historic journey.

They were passengers on the inaugural run of the Vivek Express, a new weekly train that now boasts the longest rail route in the country – 4,286 km all the way from Dibrugarh in upper Assam, to Kanyakumari at the southern tip of Tamil Nadu, that will be covered in 82.30 hours.

“We are really happy and proud to learn that we are travelling on the longest rail route of the country on the very first day,” Bijan told The Hindu after the train crossed New Tinsukia junction, its first stop. “I have kept aside my worries about the treatment of my uncle for a while to enjoy every bit of the journey because it is going to be a memorable one for me.”

The family will get down at Katpadi junction in Tamil Nadu from where the hospital in Vellore city is a drive of 20-25 minutes.

Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar flagged off the train at Dibrugarh station in the presence of Assam Revenue Minister Prithibi Majhi and General Manager of North East Frontier Railway Keshav Chandra.

This train left in the morning, but the regular weekly service, which will begin on November 26, will leave at 11.45 p.m. every Saturday, reaching its destination at 10.25 a.m. on Wednesday.

Before this, the Himsagar Express running between Jammu Tawi and Kanyakumari had the longest run, covering 3,715 km.

Hundreds of Malayalee families living in Assam and other Northeastern states are equally excited about the new weekly train.

Members of the Kerala Samajam of Dimapur are planning to give a befitting welcome to the train when it arrives at Dimapur station on November 27, the day after the regular service begins.

“It is a long cherished dream of Malayalee people living in Dimapur and beyond to board a direct train. It will be really beneficial for the passengers from the entire region,” said Abraham Kuriakose, member of Kerala Samajam, Dimapur.

Notice the huge gulf in time taken for similar distances in India and between Lhasa-Beijing or the other route in China!

prahaar
BRF Oldie

Postby prahaar » 20 Nov 2011 15:15

@Theo_Fidel, I did not understand the comment about DFCC, work has already started on the western corridor, are you referring to an operational line?

Two questions on a related note, is the DFCC going to be aligned with the existing track or it would create a complete parallel line (including separate loding/unloading stations)? Would it be a single or a double line capable of 2-level container rakes?

I could not find any details about the config of the freight lines on the DFCC website.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 21 Nov 2011 07:00

^^
AFAIK only some earthwork stunts for media, foundation stone, political stunts, etc have been done so far. Not a gram of cement has been poured yet. I could be wrong but this was definitely the situation till 6 months ago when the corruption scandal exploded. There have been some claims in the media but nothing can be confirmed so far.

It safe to say less than 1% of the work has been done. IMHO this is a no progress type project. esp. after 8 years+.

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Postby kmkraoind » 21 Nov 2011 12:17

Bidding invited for freight corridor- TOI

NEW DELHI: Putting the country's biggest infrastructure project into high gear, Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation has invited pre-qualification bid of Rs 8,000 crore for works between Rewari (Haryana) and Ikbalgarh (Gujarat) of the western corridor that will run from Delhi to Mumbai.

The 625-km stretch of western corridor is part of the Rs 70,000 crore project which aims to build new rail tracks for seamless running of freight trains at speeds of 100 km per hour.

The exclusive freight corridor will significantly reduce travel time and allow railways to run one of the world's largest freight operations based on international technology.

DFCC has re-tendered after three consortiums that were selected failed to meet the norms which had a clause of mandatory requirement of a Japanese company as the lead partner.

The selected Japanese firm will have at least 51% stake and will be responsible for execution of the contract. The 1,534-km western corridor is being fully funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

The DFCC has also completed its land acquisition in Maharashtra, resolving contentious issues that had come up in Thane district. The corporation also completed one of the 54 major bridges near Sanjan in Gujarat falling between Surat and Mumbai.

Upbeat with the speeding up of work on the corridor, railways has set up a new deadline to make UPA's ambitious infrastructure project operational.

The eastern corridor - Ludhiana to Dankuni - will be completed by December 2016 while phase 1 of western corridor - Rewari to Vadodra - will be over by December 2016 with the entire corridor (Dadri to Jawaharlal Nehru Port) expected to be ready by March 2017. The first deadline set for the project was 2015 which was later extended to 2020.

Considering the criticality of the project, Prime Minister's Office (PMO) is keeping a close watch on the progress. Sources said PMO will review the progress next week.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 24 Nov 2011 07:21

The longest distance train completes maiden trip ahead of schedule
The train travelling the longest distance in India, the Dibrugarh-Kanyakumari Vivek Express, arrived at its destination at 2.20 a.m. — eight hours ahead of schedule — on Wednesday.

That was surprising. The train was reported six hours late at Coimbatore and it would be impossible to make up 14 Hrs between CBE and Kanyakumari.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 24 Nov 2011 07:31

Real-time monitoring of locos
Real time monitoring of locomotives hauling trains is now possible, thanks to the Remote Monitoring and Management of Locomotives and Trains (REMMLOT) system put in place by the Southern Railway authorities.

Under the REMMLOT, a computer and Global Positioning System (GPS)-based monitoring mechanism, nine broad gauge diesel locomotives have so far been mounted with antennas in the exterior portion of the engines, as a technological upgradation measure, for receiving and transmitting signals.

The antennas with optical fibre wires are connected to the remote monitoring card installed inside the engines, equipped with microprocessor based control systems, for communicating through GSM and CDMA networks.

The precise location of the locomotives hauling trains and the health status of the engines including its speed; battery voltage, status of the loco; lube oil pressure and fuel oil in the tank can all be accessed through a dedicated website created exclusively for railway personnel with a user ID and password.

Complete details can be accessed through the website by entering the engine number, say railway officials here adding that the exact location of the train can be known by clicking the ‘GPS history' icon. Data pertaining to any fault in the engine could be known and downloaded through the REMMLOT system designed and installed by an external agency.

The movement of the diesel locos hauling trains could be viewed from the Diesel Loco Sheds; divisional railway offices and Southern Railway headquarters.

Besides knowing the performance of the engines while they were on the move, the system also enables the technical personnel in the sheds and power controllers in the divisional railway offices to provide trouble shooting measures to the loco pilots in the event of any snag developed in the engine midway.

The REMMLOT system provides for accurate monitoring of locos and in obtaining real time data, says a senior railway official here. The railway has spent around Rs.2.5 lakh for each engine for the technological upgradation measure so as to bring them under the REMMLOT system.

Eight out of the nine engines that has been brought under the REMMLOT system are homed at the Diesel Loco Shed, Tiruchi. Thirty five more ‘Alco' engines homed at the Diesel Loco Shed, Tiruchi, would be brought under the REMMLOT system before the end of this fiscal, the official said.

partha
BRF Oldie

Postby partha » 01 Dec 2011 06:08

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 937722.cms

NEW DELHI: At a time when the government is willing to pump thousands of crores for the revival of national carrier Air India, the finance ministry has rejected railways' plea for a temporary loan of Rs 2,101 crore to fund its development works.

Turning down the loan request, the ministry has the asked state-run transporter, which is under acute financial stress, to meet its liabilities by raising resources.

Weren't we told how Laloo turned the Railways into profit? What happened suddenly? Either Laloo was doing a Satyam or UPA 2.0 mismanaged Railways.

manish
BRFite

Postby manish » 02 Dec 2011 16:00

partha wrote:Weren't we told how Laloo turned the Railways into profit? What happened suddenly? Either Laloo was doing a Satyam or UPA 2.0 mismanaged Railways.

I would say it was a bit of both!

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 02 Dec 2011 18:58

manish wrote:
partha wrote:Weren't we told how Laloo turned the Railways into profit? What happened suddenly? Either Laloo was doing a Satyam or UPA 2.0 mismanaged Railways.

I would say it was a bit of both!

ITs actually a lot of both, but mainly Lallu doing a SATYAM meant Railways was pretty bad shape by the time UPA 2.0 Came along.

Offcourse him being a Sonia loyalist meant he was given the best PR by Media and Elites which defied gravity.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 02 Dec 2011 23:44

Guy has been out for 3 years now. The present situation is purely DIDI.

BTW does anyone even know who the in-charge is right now. Thought not.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 02 Dec 2011 23:53

theo ji, trivedi is doing a far better job than either of his predecessors.

other than the no raising fares diktat from 2001 (?) for which all RM's from that time are responsible, much of the current deficit is due to the 6th pay commission, something la loo didn't have to deal with.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 03 Dec 2011 00:07

Isn't Trivedi at same level as Mamata right boot lace.

Why does financial performance continue to deteriorate. Income is increasing by expense ration continues to climb.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 03 Dec 2011 00:09

not really, you need to keep track of what he is doing. competent guy with a vision IMO. MB is too busy with bengal and trivedi is running railways as he sees fit.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 03 Dec 2011 00:35

He may be doing things, but operating ratio continues to hover at 95%. How is this good, saar.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 03 Dec 2011 00:40

there is no magic wand, to quote the ever so cerebral rahul gandhi. he is trying to raise fares etc but to have an effect the moochers without responsibility council will have to give the go ahead.

Theo_Fidel

Postby Theo_Fidel » 03 Dec 2011 01:08

IIRC both laloo & mamata raised fares only to back down when protest was raised. Laloo in particular then resorted to surcharges for every little thing. So in reality fares have gone up. Still passenger fares are only a 30% or so chunk of income. The real meat is in freight.

AFAIK nothing new is being proposed by Trivedi in this most crucial sector.

manish
BRFite

Postby manish » 03 Dec 2011 10:34

Theo_Fidel wrote:IIRC both laloo & mamata raised fares only to back down when protest was raised. Laloo in particular then resorted to surcharges for every little thing. So in reality fares have gone up. Still passenger fares are only a 30% or so chunk of income. The real meat is in freight.

AFAIK nothing new is being proposed by Trivedi in this most crucial sector.

Fully agree with you Theo saar.

Freight won't be able to take the burden much longer if the present scheme of things continue.

If we keep loading the burden of subsidising unrealistically low passenger fares with abnormally high freight rates, much of the cargo will start slowly deserting railways to go back to road which is undesirable from most perspectives including time, environment, competitiveness etc.

I, for one, am thoroughly surprised to see some of us on this thread advocating passenger-only tracks to enable the running of high-speed trains - ain't gonna be viable for a very long time to come. If anything, we need to have more freight-only tracks!

Everyone wants shiny new tracks and high speed rail, but no one wants to pay for it apparently. If keep stealing from freight users any longer, we can kiss goodbye to all those high highfalutin visions of converting ever more cargo from road movement to rail.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 09 Dec 2011 09:24

Japanese consortium to study Hyderabad-Chennai high speed rail corridor project
Railways has selected a Japanese consortium to explore the possibility of running a bullet train on the Hyderabad-Chennai high speed rail corridor.

Japan External Trade Organisation (Jetro) and Oriental Consultancy along with Parsons Brinkhoff India has bagged the contract to conduct the pre-feasibility study on the proposed 664-km long Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Chennai route for running the high speed train, a senior Railway Ministry official said.

The consortium will submit the report in seven months. The study is expected to cost the railways about Rs 3.5 crore. There were a total of 13 bidders including Korean, French, British and Spanish consultants in the race to bag the southern high speed rail project.

With the selection of the Japanese consortium, the railways has undertaken a study of four routes for running bullet trains.

It has roped in French firm Systra for Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad (650 km) route, while UK-based consultant Mott McDonald has been engaged to conduct the pre-feasibility study of the longest Delhi-Agra-Lucknow- Varanasi-Patna (991 km) route.

Spanish consultant Eneco has been hired to carry out studies in the shortest Howrah-Haldia (135 km) route. Systra has submitted the report to the Railway Ministry, which is being examined now.

Selection for consultants for Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar (450 km) and Chennai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Thiruvananthapuram (869 km) high speed rail corridor will be decided shortly.

In order to expedite the bullet train project, the railways is in the process of constituting the National High Speed Rail Authority on the lines of the National Highways Authority.

The draft of the National High Speed Rail Authority Bill has been sent to the Law Ministry, Urban Development Ministry, Environment Ministry, Finance Ministry and Planning Commission for their views.

“The final draft of the Bill would be sent to the Cabinet for its approval before being introduced in the Budget Session of Parliament,” the official said.

According to an estimate, it will cost about Rs 100 crore to construct a one km dedicated high speed corridor. As per the preliminary report, ridership revenues would be able to cover the operating cost of the project.

State governments and financial institutions are expected to be stakeholders of the high speed rail corridor project as these projects will be executed through PPP mode.

The railways plan to make the high speed rail corridor a catalyst for India’s economic growth and a stimulus for the development of satellite towns.

Return to “Trash Can Archive”