Indian Naval Discussion

anishns
BRFite

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by anishns »

Katare saar +++72

And in your reply you haven't added the facts that the IN wasn't very thrilled about the IL-38 upgrade

India’s Navy Picks Its Future High-End Maritime Patrol Aircraft
The Indian Navy currently relies on its fleet of around 15 Dornier 228-101 aircraft and 12 Israeli Searcher Mark II and Heron unmanned aerial vehicles to monitor India’s 7,516 km long coastline, 1,197 islands and a 2.01 square km exclusive economic zone.

Additional patrols and interdiction within and beyond that area are undertaken by its 8 ultra-long-range TU-142 Bear aircraft and its remaining IL-38 May maritime surveillance aircraft, which have been upgraded to IL-38SD status. The IL-38SDs was expected to rise to 5 operational planes the by end of 2008, but the planes have been a flashpoint for controversy due to a May 14/07 report from India’s Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) which said that the first 2 are missing essential avionics and weapon systems that are “seriously limiting their operational capabilities.”

New resources are needed. At the low end, India is buying Dornier 228NGs. At the high end, they decided that the Boeing’s P-8i’s fast long-range cruise, and advanced ground and ocean monitoring systems, made it their best option for patrolling the Indian Ocean’s expa
And then the KILO/KLUB upgrade...

Return to Sender: India Rejects Kilo/Klub Sub & Missile Upgrades

Lastly the ToT deal with the TinCan

Russia plays spoilsport in T-90S tank deal

Since, the break up of the FSU, the Bear is only interested in a buyer-seller relationship and wants top dollars for their wares, while not expecting the seller to demand serviceability and spares and the quality of the end product is also debatable. Even a country like Algeria had the gonads to standup against this level of arm twisting and reject outright the Mig 29's when they were not up to the mark.

So, where does that leave us?....Either develop capability in-house or pay the dollars to someone else, where atleast you know that the quality, delivery schedule and the after sales service do not depend on fluctuating oil prices and whims & fancies of the supplier.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

pah humbug - all capitalist propaganda

Stupid Navy did not know what it wanted and created confusion.

Remember Russia stood by us and provided help in nuclear sub and cyrogenic engine!!

Anyway Putin is reforming the country and all problems of misunderstood Indian requirements will soon be sorted out ....

by 2018
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Good news on AUV/UUV front:

India in elite club with AUV launch
With the development of an indigenous autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) at a cost of Rs 38 crore, India has made its entry into an elite league of nations comprising the US, Russia, Germany, Japan, South Korea and Australia.

Having been involved in the development of unmanned aerial vehicles and seen some success, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has completed the testing of the AUV, a remotely-operated vehicle.

And that these vehicles can help the Indian Navy insurveying waters, thereby lending the long-felt aid to keep at bay “foreign” vessels or submarines with potential risks, sources said, is the plus point.

“The project has achieved all the objectives we envisaged. The project primarily meant for defence research with Electronic Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad, as the concurrent engineering partner,” Manu Korulla of DRDO, the project director (AUV), told Deccan Herald. “It is very small in size and operates around a mother ship from where it is launched, controlled and recovered,” ECIL said.

Stating that this will be useful for any underwater surveillance and intelligence gathering, ECIL said: “The AUV is first of its kind being developed and produced by ECIL. It will also facilitate carrying of payloads if the missions require it to.” Sources said these intelligent underwater vehicles required inter-disciplinary efforts in the fields of hydrodynamics, control and guidance et al and that they will prove to be an important part of the Navy.

The DRDO, Korulla, said answering a specific query: “Further, technology will be transferred to industry through mission mode projects based on specific application and requirements.”
Combined with the news of the MMW testing on Nag, has been a good weekend for DRDO.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Prabu
BRFite

Post by Prabu »

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

...And I suppose Katare you were right there with the various officals at the signing of these various deals for which you give chronology !

No offence meant,jokes apart,there is a wealth of information available upon which I'm basing my opinions in my osts,from my "information boundary".I've always when asked to "prove" myself given instances.I have the right to my opinions and if others disagree,they can do so without malice. We haven't descended into the proposed cyber-space dictatorial regime of Herr "Goebells" Sibal as yet!

For one,I don't know where dear old Hugo Chavez and the other "macho men" crept into the naval discussion debate! Those personally aimed comments betray the lawyer's trait of "desk thumping" when the argument is weak.

If the armed forces are fed up with supplier "X" or "Y",who doesn't deliver on time or deliver at all,penalise him! What is legendary Indian babudom for? I have said many a time that we need to give the same urgency to decision-making with all deals instead of only recent deals with the US which have been done in record time.Instances have been given by others as to how we paid a lot more for Harpoon missiles than Oz through FMS.

Secondly,I have not ever recommended that the services buy only from Russia or from any other nation.The hard fact is that during the Cold War it was the USSR that was willing to sell us advanced weaponry when the west refused and sold its wares to Pak.It is why we have so much of legacy Russian eqpt.What was available to us when Pak bought Ukranian T-80UDs on the cheap? Only the T-90.Arjun hadn't been perfected then.Look at the chronology of all Indian acquisitions and ask why they were bought.Furthermore there would have been no ATV without Russian assistance and no arriving Akula too.Granted both arrived/are arriving late,but better a little late than never! Let us be gracious to "old friends" who have helped us where others refused.

I have always said that "horses for courses" should be our way forward in military acquisitions which shoud be transparent,but it is no secret that in the MMS years there has been a huge concerted effort by the US to "acquire" the Indian armed forces into its sphere of operations and integrate it into its group of allies ,with a view to fighting future conflicts,esp. with China (the three-nation US,Oz,Japan mtg. in Oz soon one example),an integrating India requires that the Indian armed forces have key weapon systems that are US/western.MMS has made some peculiar foreign policy gaffes in meetings with the Pakis giving wide susicion that they were made at the behest of Washington.Fortunately,the rump of the Congress seems to follow "traditional",perhaps they could be described as "Nehruvian" attitudes in such matters and the resistance by the stablishment against yeilding the to the US totally in def. and for.policy has been strong.

We have had US officials openly saying that the military hardare acquisitions and MMRCA should've been given to the US for its help in the N-deal.Whatever I've posted earlier has been based upon official of published sources not from any blinkered imagination as suggested.

True,we are buying a lot of eqpt. from Russia,the EU,Israel and others and not from the US of A.Why? Indo-US relations are hampered by a variety of stumbling blocks,particularly its long-time relationship with Pak and inability tio "give generously" defence eqpt. without an assortment of strings atached to such deals.Here is a quote from a recent conference giving both Indian and US points of view about the realtionship:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/us ... 23773.html

'US, India should co-develop weapons tech'
Describing defense cooperation as an important element to bridge long and short-term differences, both Cohen and Dasgupta were of the view that the nuclear deal has bought greater freedom for Washington on its Pakistan policy and could serve this role again as the United States tries to extricate itself from the region.

"For this to happen, both said Washington must hold out the large carrot of technology and weapons transfers, which are politically problematic for many reasons, specifically the restrictive domestic legislation on defense hardware.

They said one solution lies in the United States co-developing technology with India, as it does with Israel. Since new technology is not yet developed, it cannot be subjected to restrictive US laws.

Dr Cohen and Professor Dasgupta said India is hedging all around.

From New Delhi’s perspective, in matters of defense Washington is the best possible partner, but Washington is perceived as being unwilling to fulfill the role. India continues to buy Russian equipment due to prices and a misplaced sense of autonomy.

They predicted that there could be a major Indo-Russian rupture very soon, but added that India will buy what it really needs, such as fighter jets, from both Europeans and Russians, who are less likely than the United States to attach conditions to such purchases.

They also said that India will continue to buy from the United States items unrelated to immediate threats, such as power projection equipment etc.

"Now that India has the money to buy and build, it must decide on its priorities and with whom to partner. In this, the United States remains a contender, but not the obvious or automatic first choice," both said.

Recently India rejected offers from two US firms to compete for a medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) contract worth over 10 billion dollars. This was followed by the resignation of US Ambassador to India Timothy Roemer, which some thought was related to the bidding.

However, Cohen and Dasgupta said that Ambassador Roemer’s departure from New Delhi was unrelated to the MMRCA decision.

"The MMRCA decision is said to have been made on technical grounds, though we also know that “technical” superiority can mask other motivations. The Indian defense establishment is uneasy about using an American airplane on missions potentially involving combat with Pakistan, a formal US ally. There may also be US laws limiting the planes from carrying nuclear weapons. In the end, we believe, the decision was mostly political, as India intended to preserve supply reliability," they said.

"The United States continues to have a poor reputation as a military supplier. The current problems India is having with the Nuclear Suppliers Group have been attributed to US," they added.

On the issue of American technology-transfer restrictions on potential defense cooperation, both Cohen and Dasgupta said: "US legislation traditionally sees India as a technology risk and a problem state. On the Indian side, there are bloated expectations. The Indian attitude tends to be, “We have been neglected, and we are important; therefore, we have a claim to your technology to make up for past neglect.”

"Americans see India as a risky state that overemphasizes technology as a route to military modernization. This is seen in the case of India’s nuclear weapons, which serve as a powerful deterrent but are no substitute for a modern conventional military. Somewhere between these attitudes there is an opportunity for a realistic, hardheaded exchange of technology. The relationship is short of an alliance, but more than a friendship," they added.

They also said that the Indian state has failed to develop a timely, transparent, and legitimate military procurement system.

They claimed that the defense acquisition system in India is heavily bureaucratized, and this is a detriment to force capability and readiness.

"India’s political system obsesses over high profile items and neglects the increasing competency in the armed forces and defense production facilities. The introduction of private companies into the process may shake things up, although this is widely opposed for fear of corruption, the government’s inability to enforce contracts against private parties, and secrecy," both Cohen and Dasgupta said.
Just one report after the MMRCA deal was lost and US reaction,linking MMRCA to N-deal quid-pro-quo:

Asia Sentinel 1/5/11
John Elliot
Decision stuns US, the front-runner because of its intensive efforts to woo India's defense establishment

India used to be a proud leader of the old Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), standing notionally between the US and Soviet blocs, but always tilting towards Moscow.

It is therefore both apt and heartening to hear today reports that the government is taking a truly NAM-style route on an $11bn contract for fighter jets by rejecting bids from both America's Lockheed Martin F-16s and Boeing F-18s and Russia's MiG-35s.

This is a diplomatically brave decision that most observers never expected after India signed its nuclear power deal with the US in 2008. Numerous US officials from President Barack Obama downwards have lobbied hard for the $11bn multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) contract, indicating that it was expected as a nuclear thank-you. What seemed most likely therefore was that Lockheed or Boeing would be included – even though, as India knows, its supplies are unreliable – until the end of the process. Then the US would not give up until it had driven other bidders out of the contest.

Curiously the US ambassador to India, Timothy Roemer, chose today to announce his resignation – "for personal, professional and family considerations". That is being widely interpreted as a reaction to the loss of the MRCA contract, as well as the failure of the India-US nuclear deal to generate increased defence co-operation between the two countries, plus nuclear power plant contracts for US companies.
One can go on for aeons debating the issue.Facts speak for themselves.Let's return to discussing naval matters shall we?

PS:As to integrating India into the US military orbit,here is "Blackwill" former US envoy to India on the subject.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n15786857/

The India imperative: a conversation with Robert D. Blackwill
Of course we should sell advanced weaponry to India. The million-man Indian army actually fights, unlike the post-modern militaries of many of our European allies. Given the strategic challenges ahead, the United States should want the Indian armed forces to be equipped with the best weapons systems, and that often means buying American. To make this happen, the United States must become a reliable long-term supplier through co-production and licensed-manufacture arrangements and end its previous inclination to interrupt defense supplies to India in a crisis.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

What happned to our Seychelles initiative? Some time ago there were reports about Indo-Seychlles naval coopeartion to fight piracy? Have the ruling croqwd recd. any "gifts" from the PRC?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... 81237.aspx

China to open a military base in Indian Ocean
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Philip wrote: Secondly,I have not ever recommended that the services buy only from Russia or from any other nation.The hard fact is that during the Cold War it was the USSR that was willing to sell us advanced weaponry when the west refused and sold its wares to Pak.It is why we have so much of legacy Russian eqpt.What was available to us when Pak bought Ukranian T-80UDs on the cheap? Only the T-90.Arjun hadn't been perfected then.Look at the chronology of all Indian acquisitions and ask why they were bought.Furthermore there would have been no ATV without Russian assistance and no arriving Akula too.Granted both arrived/are arriving late,but better a little late than never! Let us be gracious to "old friends" who have helped us where others refused.
Philip saar my last reply on this topic if you want to continue batting for the Russkies we can take it somewhere else....

After independence Paki GUBO'ed to UK/US and got access to all the western toys, look at where they are today and where we are! During the cold war all you had to say was "We dislike Amerikanski and NATO" and the Bear would have showered you with Ak-47s and what not..much like what China is doing to Pak these days. For how long do you want us to carry this baggage of history?

And please don't bring this argument of "Old Friends"....oh! puhleease. If we were such good friends why are there almost zero people-people contacts between the two countries (relatively). Don't give me the propoganda BS about how Raj Kapoor's name is on the lips of every Russian or how they are all naming their daughters Indira :) Those were all meant for consumption of our gullible babu's. Yes, maybe Raj Kapoor's movies were a little popular in Central Asian republics but, in the heart of Russia (Moscow/St.Petersburg).....I am sorry!, hardly anyone has heard about him :)

The only relation ship we had with the Russki's was purely military-military and yes I admit they did do us some favors in the past i.e. giving us the best of their tech and charging in rupees but, it was again diplomatic relations between a supposedly Super Power and a turd world, poverty ridden country like ours with a huge potential i.e. give and take. No free lunches!

Coming back to now, regarding ATV etc I am sure they have extracted their pound of flesh for the deal as it will become clearer as time goes on. All I am saying is that we are stuck with Russian equipment for a long time to come, for better or for worse but, it is prudent that we view this relationship as a solely business, buyer-supplier relationship...anything beyond that should be on another platform and not interfere with defense procurements.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Look,I'm not batting for the "Russkies" or Israelis ...whoever.I'm simply stating facts.Study the chronology of our acquisitions,when we were severely restricted in advanced tech from the west,even just a decade earlier.Every acquisition has not been a disaster as some would make out to be.Teething problems have been there with the Klubs,rectified,T-90s,shortcomings rectified/improved with the new T-90AM.There have been no adverse comments about the MIG-29Ks thus far.What about the Barak controversy and Derby failures mentioned by the CAG,acquired without any competition at all and failing to meet parameters respectively and despite that we've gone in for Barak-8 without a competition.There is an acknowledged lack of transparency in the acquisition of conventional weaponry.When it involves nuclear subs,N-tech,the sensitivity of the issue makes it even less so.True it may be that the Russians have asked for a hefty price,we do not know the full details,but were the western nations willing at all to sell us N-sub tech? The answer is NO.

AKA is trying to stay clear of controversies ,resulting in inordinate delays,but to paraphrase Orwell,"some deals are more equal than others"! I maintain,a level playing field for all deals,same decision-making time will help allay suspicions of favouritism,in MMS's case,towards the US.

For this sorry state of affairs,we have to thank the head of the GOI today,who in his second term is trying his best to sell the "family silver" as fast as he can before his term ends ,urged on by his patrons,as we saw when the US ambassador intervened in the "FDI-retail" controversy and the likes of former US Sec, of State Madeline Albright and 20+ prominent US individuals batted for not scrapping the insidious Devas/Antrix deal where valuable defence spectrum was to be handed over to firang control! When the deal was exposed,the speed with which the GOI dumped it was phenomenal!

I don't know why there is this fervent and desperate defence of our "honourable" PM being mentioned in this thread too.Just a few headlines today following on with the current scams of the CWG,2G,Devas,et al,gives one an idea of his reputation in the country and the catastrophic state to which he has taken it :

Indian Express 13/12/11--"A Govt. that can't govern must go".
B.G.Verghese-"A drift towards disaster".

India Today 19/12/11--Coal burns Congress..Loss 85,000 crores to the exchequer,CAG and CBI investigations show that "Manmohan handling the coal portfolio following the resignation of Shibu Soren,was in the know of the mines allotted to the companies".
The 85,000 crore loss is taken at the lowest rate of Rs. 50/t.But if taken at the market price of Rs.2500/t,it is a staggering and stupefying Rs.42,50,000 crore! So much for the reputation of "Mr.Clean",now "filthy black" with coal dust all over him!

India Today-same issue: The Mismanagers.
" PM's two top economic advisers,C.Rangarajan and Montek..are in a state of denial about the Indian economy".
Facts and figures of how these two jokers are capable of mere guesswork about the rates of inflation,growth,etc.,make them no better than fairground fortune tellers!

Times of India 13/12/11: "Slowdown hits home as industrial output falls by 5.1%.."

Business Line 13/12/11: "Sensex shivers on output data ,down 343 points". Rupee has depreciated by "17%" against the dollar this year.

Can such a man ,can such a malodorous govt.,frankly be trusted with the country's security and foreign policy as well apart from the economic disaster that it has created? Others have lots to say about those two issues in other threads.

PS:Back to Naval matters.There is a rumour ,which was mentioned some time ago as well,that the second UK carrier may be offered to the IN apart from a couple of other countries.If so would this 65,000t new carrier be worth picking up? IAC-1 is delayed and this could be a fast-track solution to meet force levels as the Varyag/Shi Lang is now undergoing her sea trials and is larger than any of the three carriers being built/operated by the IN today.The plan is for the carrier,which will arrive by 2019,at a cost of 3+ billion pounds,to be sold.The likelihood of jointly operating it with the French is now most unlikely after Britain's veto over the Euro,a 26-1 score! With the delay in IAC-1,and plans for IAC-2 nowhere on the horizon,would this be a worthwhile acquisition?
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Philip wrote:So buying a second hand carrier is not always a bad thing
Viraat/Hermes was their sole surviving carrier after the de-com. of HMS Ark Royal and held the gap until the com. of HMS Invincible. Hence it was maintained like as a flagship would. Same holds true for Trenton, it was a part of US active fleet and was "hot transferred". Gorshkov was not maintained and left to elements on the pierside from 1990-2004 by its then-owners.
Philip wrote:In hindsight,we did make some stupid decisions about the Gorshkov,delaying the decision for years,
Underlined part is incorrect, it was an emphatic NO decision, overturned by the politicians, and taken by the IN in its stride as Tennyson said,"ours not to reason why, ours but to do..."

An emphatic no is not a delayed decision :-) The other reason for the no was that it was a cruiser with a flight deck, and not an aircraft carrier per se.
Philip wrote:and then not evaluating the actual cost of redesigning it,refitting it
Again, when one sees a dilapidated house, with every brick crumbling, one cannot estimate the cost for repair.

What has happened with the Gorshkov is that an entirely new carrier has been built in the framework of the old cruiser. Not one old part is remaining. And the money spend is the same amount one would have spent on a new carrier. Hence the angst, of a newly build old carrier for the price of new.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Surya wrote:pah humbug - all capitalist propaganda

Stupid Navy did not know what it wanted and created confusion.

Remember Russia stood by us and provided help in nuclear sub and cyrogenic engine!!

Anyway Putin is reforming the country and all problems of misunderstood Indian requirements will soon be sorted out ....

by 2018
WOW SUPERB FANTATASTIC

So by 2018 ALL the problems with Russian equipment will be sorted out

We will get all the spares we want in no time, just pick the phone and call (not necessarily Putin) and next day DHL ahs delivered the good

Pakistan must be shutting in their pants. INS Vik...something...something.. will soon terrorise the %$#@## .............................. by 2018 of course

China must be shutting in their pants. INS Chakra will soon wear the Indian tricolour and demonise the $#@## .............................. by 2018 of course

All the Krivaks would be delivered
.............................. by 2018 of course

2018. The greatest year in history of India.

K

Hic..hic......hic...hic. Will 2018 come to India by 2020 ?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Kersi,you old sea salt! You need a stiff shot of Stolichnaya to bring you to your senses omrade! Just you wait for 2018 and ze toys that the comrades are building for us to arrive.Zen we will see the brown-pants darkening the shades of their trousers,nyet?
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Philip wrote:Kersi,you old sea salt! You need a stiff shot of Stolichnaya to bring you to your senses omrade! Just you wait for 2018 and ze toys that the comrades are building for us to arrive.Zen we will see the brown-pants darkening the shades of their trousers,nyet?
Philip. Believe me I will be happy to see Rodina alias Russia come up with the weapons of wonder, of the erstwhile USSR.

USSR had been our friend and ally and stood by us through thick and thin. But Philip please accept that

Russia of today IS NOT the USSR of yesterday.

In many respects(Adm Gorshkov, T 90 etc) Russia of today is taking us for a ride, BIG RIDE with BIG $$$$$.

USSR/Russia had some real kickass toys e.g. AN 32, Mi 8 /17, SU 30, Krivak, probably Kilo, probably MiG 29 etc. I am happy that IAF is buying more (and more I hope) Mi 17 as they are simply superb. No comparison with the S 70s, S 90s, Cougars etc etc.

India bought T 90 when there was little choice to counter the Pakis T 80s. But today we have a "reasonbaly good" home grown product, Arjun. Yet Russia arm twists us to buy more an more T 90, at the cost of a better product. This is what bugs me.

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Philip wrote:Kersi,you old sea salt! You need a stiff shot of Stolichnaya to bring you to your senses omrade! Just you wait for 2018 and ze toys that the comrades are building for us to arrive.Zen we will see the brown-pants darkening the shades of their trousers,nyet?
Where do we meet for Stolichnaya ?
K
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

Kersi D wrote:
Yet Russia arm twists us to buy more an more T 90, at the cost of a better product. This is what bugs me.

K
How do you know Russia arm twists India into buying T-90s?? Is there any info in the public domain we can refer to, which has led you to this conclusion??
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

tsarkar wrote: We've spent more money (despite incrementally over years) on Viraat than that would have cost to build our own in the 80's.
I dont know if its sheer bad luck or just the issue with old hull , AFAIK Viraat was not available in the past two decades when the Navy needed it badly , first was during the Op Prakaram or was Kargil crises when she was in Dry Dock and Navy had to do some make shift arrangement of flying Carrier from other Naval Platform and even merchant ship if required ! Second was during 26/11 when she was in dry dock and we needed her to be at sea.

Not sure how much truth it is to it , but some one told me in a year Viraat is just available 2-3 months at best and rest of the time she is at dock for routine maintenance.

Here is some latest update on Vikramaditya INS Vikramaditya to Set Sail
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Some update on Teg Brahmos launch
Brahmos returns Credits
Interfax

Conducted in the Baltic Sea tests of supersonic cruise missile "Brahmos" from the board being built for the Indian Navy frigate convincing evidence that the missile can be used to ship Russian-made, according to Interfax-AVN, with reference to the control co-director of "BrahMos" Alexander Maksicheva.

"A few days ago has been successful throwing the test missile" BrahMos "in the Baltic. The first time we are engaged in supplying complex "BrahMos" is being built in Russia ship. There are certain difficulties, but nevertheless I can say that our company has never picked their obligations, all delivered in time spent in a timely manner all necessary installation and testing. Tests are throwing in point ", - stated A. Maksichev in passing in Malaysia International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition" LIMA 2011 ".

He noted that before throwing test was carried out a full range of tests for electromagnetic compatibility, which was attended by Indian and Russian experts. Tests confirmed that the complex "BrahMos" is fully compatible with all systems of the ship.

"During sea trials, conducted electronic missile launch, and we are convinced that it is ready for throwing tests" - a spokesman said.

He explained that the tests will be throwing in order to confirm that all design decisions were correct, that the launch did not damage the ship construction and ship survive all those effects that are calculated.

"The next step - this acceptance test, the normal firing a missile. This will be in India, where the ship will pass to the customer and it will finally adopted. We hope that we will perform this task in 2012, "- said A. Maksichev.

He also said that the other two frigates that are being built under contract with India at the Baltic Shipyard "Yantar", will also be equipped with a supersonic cruise missile "Brahmos".

The new Russian-Indian cruise missile "Brahmos" developed a joint venture "BrahMos" created in 1998 by the Russian NGO "Mechanical Engineering" and the Organization of Research and Development (DRDO) at the Defense Ministry of India. Serial production of missiles to deploy both in Russia and India. The missile will be armed with the Russian and Indian armies, and are widely exported to third countries.

The missile is designed to engage a wide range of sea targets. It is characterized by a high range (290 km), high supersonic speeds (up to 2.8 M), a powerful combat load (250 kg) and low visibility to radar. Flight of a rocket, whose weight in the base case is 3.000 kg, carried in the altitude range 10 - 14.000 meters to the variable path. The new missile is realized in practice the principle of "fire and forget" - a goal she finds herself.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Kersi,I will let you know when we can meet to finish off the Stoli-it will be soon!

Oui,mon ami,the Russia of today is not the great Soviet empire of the past,but look at the new products that have been a splendid success like B'Mos!
This success story seldom gets the attention that it deserves from the "west" on BRF! Only the programmes which have experienced difficulties.

Arjun: It was not available when the T-90s were first introduced and it took a lot of work to get it to current level,even this has its own limitations which are being rectified with A-2.The same is happening to the T-90s.One major factor which we must also remember is that the two tanks are dissimilar in that Arjun is much larger,heavier and taller,with a 4-man crew wheras the T-90 has a 3-man crew.
Secondly,as I posted well over a year back,mostly from an IDR feature,we were swamped at Avadi with so many tasks,assembling T-90s,production of Arjun,upgrading 2000 T-72s which was a massive task resulting in much delays.From some reports,barely 600-700 T-72s have been upgraded and as posted earlier,a thought has appeared to scrap further upgrades,convert the stock of T-72 hulls into chassis for a wide range of armoured vehicles,Akash mounts,anti-air artillery,ATGM vehicles,etc.This will allow capacity to build 400+ Arjun-2s and continue to acquire/build locally T-90AMs,which have significant upgrades in eqpt.that have improved performance hugely.It would be interesting to see the two improved A-2s face off with the T-90AMs in the future.I personally feel that both are complementary,but the way for the future I feel is a 3-man crewed turretless tank,with an auto-loader,low profile,with a heavier main gun/missile firing capability with greater speed and mobility.I posted elsewhere the emergence of the attack helo and the cost-benefits/comparisons with armoured regiments, that were balancing the equation ,making the armoured corps more vulnerable.

Back to Russian naval products.The Talwar class has also been an outstanding success,the initial Shtil and Klub problems resolved,the latter mainly with Kilo launches.3 more are in the pipeline proving the success of the design and are being built at a far faster rate than anything at home.What about the Kilos? They have proved to be one of the great survivors in generic sub designs ,still being built in improved avatars and bought both by Russia and its friends.The Gorshkov acquisition is a well trodden path,suffice it to say that when it was first mooted and after long scrutiny,decided upon,we had no alternative in hand and in order to preserve IN fleet air arm capabilities and the ability to project power in the IOR, it was bought.That it suffered inordinate delays ,cost overruns is because of the inability to assess the task involved and true,it would've cost us a lot less to build a new carrier in retrospect,but as the good admiral said,find me an equivalent carrier for the same price and I will open my chequebook! The Viraat was never expected to last this long,and the fact that it has done proves my point for years that the carrier is the most survivable and long-lasting type of naval warship because it can accomodate new aircraft as they are developed to operate from the same old flight decks.Spanish harriers are being modernised and we missed the boat-so to speak,by not picking up more ex-RN Harriers now being acquired lock,stock and barrel by the USMC!

The MIG-29Ks are excellent aircraft,and are being steadily delivered-no inordinate delay here affecting training,etc.,and come in at a very reasonable price,less than $1billion for the second lot of approx. 30.Compare those prices with western equivalents,they're half the price!

Despite such advantages that some Russian eqpt. possesses,in capability,costs and without strings (clauses) as with US products,I still advocate a holistic approach to acquisitions,and wish that we could acquire the second QE class carrier being built in the UK,Osprey AEW systems,AW-101s,NH-90s,German U-boats,etc.Provided that they fit the bill/requirements of the IN.Pushing down our throats eqpt/systems merely as a quid-pro-quo for a "favour" at such huge costs as we can see with some "fast-tracked" deals,is suspect.Some might possess excellent capabilities,but are we getting the same prices as other buyers of the same eqpt. through FMS? here needs to be more transparency here.

PS:Do you prefer the chilli vodka to it straight? Cheers for now.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Ivanev wrote:
Kersi D wrote:
Yet Russia arm twists us to buy more an more T 90, at the cost of a better product. This is what bugs me.

K
How do you know Russia arm twists India into buying T-90s?? Is there any info in the public domain we can refer to, which has led you to this conclusion??
INFERENCE

There was to be a trial "between" the Arjun and T 90s. This trial was apparently put off for known/unknown reasons, the reasons definitely not known to me.

The trials finally took place later but AFTER India signed an agreement for manufacturing / making more T 90s in India.

Was Russia scared that the T 90s may be the runner up and hence made sure that the agreement for manufacturing / making more T 90s was signed before the trials

I need not say anything more

K
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ If that money was invested in building an Indian AC in 1995, we would have probably had it by 2010
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

tsarkar wrote:^^ If that money was invested in building an Indian AC in 1995, we would have probably had it by 2010
I think that it is a debateable point. Per se we do not have any expertise in building large warships. IAC is a far cry from the 'Delhi' class made till then. Maybe if we had procured an AC directly form say a European shipyard, we may have got it faster. It may have cost more or less, we can all keep on arguing. Let us not forget our financial status in 1995. Today our standing in the world is much higher/better than 1995. Today if we ask for consultancy in AC many shipyards may fallover temselcve to work with us. In 1995 som of them may have simply laughed at us.

Can't undo the past. Let us TRY and make less such mistakes in future

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Philip wrote:Kersi,I will let you know when we can meet to finish off the Stoli-it will be soon!

Oui,mon ami,the Russia of today is not the great Soviet empire of the past,but look at the new products that have been a splendid success like B'Mos!
This success story seldom gets the attention that it deserves from the "west" on BRF! Only the programmes which have experienced difficulties.

Arjun: It was not available when the T-90s were first introduced and it took a lot of work to get it to current level,even this has its own limitations which are being rectified with A-2.The same is happening to the T-90s.One major factor which we must also remember is that the two tanks are dissimilar in that Arjun is much larger,heavier and taller,with a 4-man crew wheras the T-90 has a 3-man crew.
Secondly,as I posted well over a year back,mostly from an IDR feature,we were swamped at Avadi with so many tasks,assembling T-90s,production of Arjun,upgrading 2000 T-72s which was a massive task resulting in much delays.From some reports,barely 600-700 T-72s have been upgraded and as posted earlier,a thought has appeared to scrap further upgrades,convert the stock of T-72 hulls into chassis for a wide range of armoured vehicles,Akash mounts,anti-air artillery,ATGM vehicles,etc.This will allow capacity to build 400+ Arjun-2s and continue to acquire/build locally T-90AMs,which have significant upgrades in eqpt.that have improved performance hugely.It would be interesting to see the two improved A-2s face off with the T-90AMs in the future.I personally feel that both are complementary,but the way for the future I feel is a 3-man crewed turretless tank,with an auto-loader,low profile,with a heavier main gun/missile firing capability with greater speed and mobility.I posted elsewhere the emergence of the attack helo and the cost-benefits/comparisons with armoured regiments, that were balancing the equation ,making the armoured corps more vulnerable.

Back to Russian naval products.The Talwar class has also been an outstanding success,the initial Shtil and Klub problems resolved,the latter mainly with Kilo launches.3 more are in the pipeline proving the success of the design and are being built at a far faster rate than anything at home.What about the Kilos? They have proved to be one of the great survivors in generic sub designs ,still being built in improved avatars and bought both by Russia and its friends.The Gorshkov acquisition is a well trodden path,suffice it to say that when it was first mooted and after long scrutiny,decided upon,we had no alternative in hand and in order to preserve IN fleet air arm capabilities and the ability to project power in the IOR, it was bought.That it suffered inordinate delays ,cost overruns is because of the inability to assess the task involved and true,it would've cost us a lot less to build a new carrier in retrospect,but as the good admiral said,find me an equivalent carrier for the same price and I will open my chequebook! The Viraat was never expected to last this long,and the fact that it has done proves my point for years that the carrier is the most survivable and long-lasting type of naval warship because it can accomodate new aircraft as they are developed to operate from the same old flight decks.Spanish harriers are being modernised and we missed the boat-so to speak,by not picking up more ex-RN Harriers now being acquired lock,stock and barrel by the USMC!

The MIG-29Ks are excellent aircraft,and are being steadily delivered-no inordinate delay here affecting training,etc.,and come in at a very reasonable price,less than $1billion for the second lot of approx. 30.Compare those prices with western equivalents,they're half the price!

Despite such advantages that some Russian eqpt. possesses,in capability,costs and without strings (clauses) as with US products,I still advocate a holistic approach to acquisitions,and wish that we could acquire the second QE class carrier being built in the UK,Osprey AEW systems,AW-101s,NH-90s,German U-boats,etc.Provided that they fit the bill/requirements of the IN.Pushing down our throats eqpt/systems merely as a quid-pro-quo for a "favour" at such huge costs as we can see with some "fast-tracked" deals,is suspect.Some might possess excellent capabilities,but are we getting the same prices as other buyers of the same eqpt. through FMS? here needs to be more transparency here.

PS:Do you prefer the chilli vodka to it straight? Cheers for now.
Philip I accept your arguments.

But at times you do sound as too pro Russia and too anti West; just as many other sound too anti Russia and too pro West. Let me use your words, horses for courses.

K
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Kersi,unlike the IN,both IA and IAF have some deep scepticism about desi products due to tall talk from the DRDO/PSUs.I give just one example,about the Kaveri engine.When Kalam was chief Sc. adviser to the PM there was a critical review of the project,with all heads present and a DRDO boffin boasted that the engine would be ready in "3 months",an outrageoust fib.The AM sitting next to him told Kalam so.He said that the way in which the project was being run then was a "fraud upon the nation",meant only to gain for some "Padma awards".The IA and IAF have rarely been involved in some major DRDO projects from inception,where they can draw up performance parameters and establish critical cut-off dates for development of indigenous components,which would result in setbacks and delays like Kaveri-which as my AM friend said was the crucial component of the programme and just as we saw with the HF-24, has had the same effect.With DRDO babudom running the project at their own speed,not accountable to the "stakeholder",which is the GOI,whose political bosses in charge are either indifferent, or ignorant, or both of military matters,take the Indian taxpayer for a really long and expensive ride.
Our new COAS,ACM Browne has recently said that there will be further delays in the FOC of the LCA MK-1,which would enter service only mid-2012.Now you must've noted the innumerable service entry dates given for the LCA over the last decade.

See the resistance from MDL in allowing private yards to build subs,while they have delayed the Scorpene project by years! They are accused by some of delaying the second line decision which urgently needs to be taken right now,by all commissions looking into the project,so that they can finish the Scorpenes on order and then say,"give us new work"! With Arjun,there were teething trouble all along and for decades.Scepticism abounded in the IA about Arjun making the grade and when a decision to acquire more urgently needed tanks from abroad was about to be made,the DRDO would troop in with their tall claims that the tank was a success.The IA has to have the assets to fight a war,and in the case of the T-90,a follow on of the T-72 in service with the IA for decades and familiar with,what would you have done? Ordered Arjun before it was finally proven to have matured ,that too with an unknown manufacturing capability and support system in place for spares,etc? The IA safeguarded its armoured capability by buying more T-90s.Having secured that ,it then kept the door open for Arjun to also be acquired in two batches of 124 each,well-knowing that even if it wanted Arjun's production rate even by CVRDE statements was totally inadequate to meet its full requirements.Now that the Q about Arjun MK-1's capabilities are no longer an issue,the MK-2 with improvements,is being ordered in large qty. ,400+ say some reports.

I give you another example,this time of Trishul,more relevant to the thread.The tall claims by the DRDO about Trishul saw the Brahmaputra frigates commissioned "without" any SAM defences at all! Repeated trials at INS Dronacharya saw the missile fail.I know of one senior officer who told his superiors the truth that the missile was a "dud",and recommended the urgent acquisition of Barak instead, was allegedly vindictively harassed by the vested interests behind Trishul.This is a classic case of the DRDO's "tall claims" tactics to sabotage acquisitions and in this instance an upright officer had his name tarnished.Where is Trishul now? At least Arjun finally made the grade.

Read this article,though dated whicch gives an insight into the working of the DRDO and its (mis) management style,which performs erratically:

How not to run a military R&D project:The case of Arjun MBT.(by PV Ramanna).

http://www.orfonline.org/cms/export/orf ... 340375.pdf
In the Arjun project the main reason
for non-availability of funds initially and high costoverruns
were the DRDO’s practice of deliberately
underestimating project cost at inception. Overtaken
by an eagerness to indigenously design and develop
an MBT and apprehending that the project would
not be sanctioned if the cost was high, the DRDO
deliberately under-evaluated the project cost. For the
Arjun project “... [t]he amount we asked for (financial
support) was trivially low. My sympathies are,
however, with the scientists. In their eagerness to
develop a tank indigenously they totally lost
credibility with... time frames”, a former DRDO
Director General said.3
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

^ what Philip has just said kind of makes on wonder about the public companies in defense. I am a believer in socialism and public corporations but if companies like Mazagon are unable to meet the demand and their lobbying is crippling the IN then by all means hire a private Indian shipyard and the benefit of that can be competition bringing quality ships at cheaper prices and if the contracts are delayed then by all means penalties can be charged.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Philip wrote:...

So far IA has only ordered 300 T-90S from the local licensed production out of 1,000. This would mean the remaining 700 could be T-90AM.

Together with 500 Arjun Mk.2 potential order, that would total to around 1,200 tanks, which is more than enough to replace the 1,000 not upgraded T-72s. However, producing 1,200 new tanks will take close to a decade with current/planned capacities of 100+ T-90/year and 50+ Arjun/year. IMO, some T-72s would need to be upgraded.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Retd.Gen.Sinha,writing in the Deccan Chronicle today,has made some pithy comments about the status of the service chiefs vis-a-vis babudom in the kingdom of Ind.The disgraceful treatment meted out to our greatest post-Independence military hero,FM Manekshaw over his retirement benefits has no parallel worldwide ,where he had to wait 33 years before it was hastily paid when he was on his deathbed! Gen.Sinha says that there is no proper treatment given to officers of that rare and exalted rank by the govt.He is scathing about defence planning and procurement ,especially those from PSUs and the absence of involvement of thr services in developing new weapon systems.
Several instances of the civil bureaucracy’s hostile attitude towards the military can be quoted. Gen. Manekshaw was given `2 crores as arrears of pay after 33 years, a few weeks before he died. To this day, a field marshal is denied suitable protocol status and is kept below Cabinet secretary.

Our organisation is too cumbersome for war preparedness. Our programme for acquisition of weapons gets delayed by several years. Indigenous defence production is far from satisfactory. We do not tap private sector talent nor are the Services appropriately associated with the indigenous weapon-development process. We have been surrendering thousands of crores of the defence budget every year even though we face a sensitive security scenario.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/columnis ... te-command

Xcpt. from a 2-part article.
Integrate & command

December 14, 2011
After Independence, joint committees were set up ensuring the su-premacy of the civil over the military and quick decision-making with due participation of the military. Over the years all these committees have been wound up and a bureaucratic stranglehold established, marginalising the defence services from decision-making on defence matters. There has been no attempt to rationalise the higher defence organisation, not even after the great debacle of 1962 following which Jawaharlal Nehru died a broken man in 1964. Nehru’s defence minister Krishna Menon, Army Chief Gen. Thapar and field commander Lt. Gen. Kaul had to resign. Defence secretary Pulla Reddy retired on completing his service on November 18, two days before the Chinese declared a unilateral ceasefire.

After successful wars, defence secretaries have received recognition at par with the Service Chiefs. After 1965, defence secretary P.V.R. Rao, along with Chief of Army Staff Gen. Joyanto Nath Chaudhuri and then Air Chief Marshal Arjan Singh, were awarded the Padma Vibhushan. After 1971, defence secretary K.B. Lal and the three Service Chiefs — Gen. Manekshaw, Admiral Nanda and Air Chief Marshal P.C. Lal — were decorated with the Padma Vibhushan. Gen. Manekshaw was promoted to field marshal and K.B. Lal was promoted to principal secretary, defence. A principal secretary ranks with Cabinet secretary and enjoys higher protocol status than a field marshal.

The Service Chiefs may still enjoy higher protocol status than the defence secretary but over the years their functional subordination to the latter has increased exponentially. Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, updated in 2010, make the defence secretary responsible for “defence of India and every part thereof, including preparation for defence and all such acts as may be conducive in times of war to its prosecution.” He is also “responsible for the Armed Forces of the Union, namely Army, Navy and Air Force”.

On March 25, 1955, Nehru announced in Parliament that as in other countries we would have Chiefs of Staff and Defence Councils. A meaningless change in the nomenclature of Service Chiefs to Chiefs of Staff was made. They continue to function as C-in-C of their service, as before. It is a misnomer to call them Chiefs of Staff. In our setup, the defence secretary functions not only as Service Chiefs of Staff but also as Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). As regards Defence Councils, no action was taken. The Public Accounts Commit-tee report of 1958 criticised wasteful expenditure in duplication of work between the ministry and Service headquarters and recommended their integration.

The Administrative Reforms Commission of 1967 recommended the appointment of CDS. These were ignored. Spurious arguments were put up against the need for a CDS: our present arrangement was working all right and there was no need for change; only countries with overseas commitments need a CDS. India has no such commitments. It was ignored that the need for a CDS had not arisen on the basis of overseas commitment but due to the nature of modern warfare, requiring integrated functioning of the three Services. Almost all countries have a CDS. It was also argued that unless there was unanimity among the three Service Chiefs, we could not have a CDS. After the 1971 war, Gen. Manekshaw was to be appointed CDS. Air Chief Marshal P.C. Lal threatened to resign if a CDS was appointed in India. It is good that now the three Service Chiefs have taken a united stand on this issue.

The Kargil Review Committee recommended the appointment of CDS and integration of Services headquarters with the ministry. This was approved by a Group of Ministers in the NDA government but the bureaucracy managed to have its way through a headless integrated defence staff and a sham of an integrated ministry of defence, neither of which has been of much use. The CDS proposal has been derailed by the stipulation that it can be introduced only after consensus among all political parties.

The task force on national security is chaired by Naresh Chandra, an eminent civil servant. Being a former defence secretary, he may have a closed mind on higher defence organisation. A judge or a political leader like Arun Singh would have been a better choice. The Navy and Air Force are represented by former Chiefs, but, for inexplicable reason, no former Army Chief has been included. This does not inspire confidence. However, the presence in the committee of a visionary former Chief, Adm. Arun Prakash, and a visionary former diplomat, G. Parthasarathy, provides a ray of hope.

We certainly need active participation of civil servants in our higher defence organisation. This should be on the same lines as in the UK. In India we have two streams, the generalist from the IAS on a fleeting tenure and the financial advisers. The roles of the two could be combined. If we cannot have a permanent cadre of defence civil servants, as in Britain, we could at least have IFS officers in the ministry who can provide useful inputs. Defence policy and foreign policy are two sides of the same coin. Just as an IFS officer will be a misfit as home secretary, an IAS officer does not fit the bill for defence secretary. The civil servant and the military officer should work together at each rung.

Several instances of the civil bureaucracy’s hostile attitude towards the military can be quoted. Gen. Manekshaw was given `2 crores as arrears of pay after 33 years, a few weeks before he died. To this day, a field marshal is denied suitable protocol status and is kept below Cabinet secretary.

Our organisation is too cumbersome for war preparedness. Our programme for acquisition of weapons gets delayed by several years. Indigenous defence production is far from satisfactory. We do not tap private sector talent nor are the Services appropriately associated with the indigenous weapon-development process. We have been surrendering thousands of crores of the defence budget every year even though we face a sensitive security scenario.

A rational higher defence organisation will ensure a unified and economical approach and better defence preparedness. We must not repeat our dismal history of the medieval era when successive invaders found us disunited and unprepared.

This is the second and concluding part of a two-part series on higher defence organisation.

The writer, a retired lieutenant-general, was Vice-Chief of Army Staff and has served as governor of Assam and Jammu and Kashmir.
PS:There is no "pro-Russia or anti-US" bias in my attitude.It is one of pure "pragmatism".First I find that rewarding the US with huge military orders while it supports Pak to the hilt-as it has done until very recently,is obscene.The US then makes money out of both our misery.In general,their sophisticated wares also come in at huge costs and are expensive to maintain.Russian wares are cheaper,more robust,but after the collapse of the USSR,spares and support became very problematic.These issues are being redressed to a large extent-if they function well,with JVs in India for such support of def. eqpt. EU and Israeli eqpt. is not cheap either but much better service comes with the deal,allowing us to keep all options open.

If we have no alternative and the best option is for buying a US product,then let it be a less crucial cog in the military wheel,as US wares come with all manner of clauses and strings that EU ,Russian and Israeli suppliers do not bother about.As I posted in a thread recently,the US considers India a "high risk" country in supplying def. systems.It is why we will never get N-sub tech.,N-subs,and other crucial cutting edge tech whatsoever.

US products also come with huge hype.This is fine when scaring Arab sheikhs sh*tless about Saddam, Iran,etc.making them buy Patriots by the dozen,whose track record isn't that great with huge costs per battery too.There is a concerted public campaign in the media,from pro-US individuals,thinktanks,etc.,to mould and sanitise public opinion if and when a deal is done.The pressure upon the GOI/MOD/services is also intense.We saw how angry the US was when it was KO'd from the MMRCA contest,in comparison with the muted and mature response from the other rejected nations/manufacturers.The US ambassador in a fit of pique resigned immediately! Even if he was planning to leave,as a diplomat he would know how the timing of announcement would be taken .The recent attempts to "insert" the JSF into the contest by the back door bears one out, as it was meant to delay/dump the already advanced evaluation now in the final metres to the finishing tape.Russian wares are generally offered only between official govt.-to-govt agencies/institutions and inter-governmental bodies set up for the same.There was much dismay by the US when India and Russia extended the scope of this body for another two decades (?) not too long ago.Successes like Brahmos show how JVs can produce results with good project management and goodwill on both sides.Hopefully,the FGFA and MTA will produce similar results as will undisclosed help in N-sub tech..

I guess the key factor why I do not want too much of US eqpt. is because the ultimate aim of the US is to integrate Indian into its list of allies who "will fight,not like the Europeans",as former ambassador Blackwill said,in its future conflicts which I've posted earlier. This turns us into a vassal state.Never in the relationship with Russia,even during the worst days of the Cold War,did Russia try to steer India away from its NAM character.Nor if there was any covert attempt, did we succumb to it.To achieve this purpose it needs to have the Indian armed forces equipped with US made key weaponry,so "cooperative engagements" can take place,where US commanders through NCW will control our forces assets in a crisis.This attempt thus far has failed and the KO over the MMRCA contest stunned the US and has made it re-evaluate its relationship with us.The rejection of the demand for a lesser N-liability is also a sore point with it.In the ultimate analysis,India must retain its sovereignty and independence not allowing defence deals to come with strings and ensure that there is transparency in acquisitions.A tall order but a neccessary goal.
Last edited by Philip on 14 Dec 2011 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Don't want to drag the discussion here off-topic. Reply posted in the Armoured Vehicles Forum here.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

http://expressbuzz.com/thesundaystandar ... 42151.html
Defence sources said elaborate arrangements were on for the Dhanush and P-II test. “The test will be conducted by the naval personnel to gauge the effectiveness of the indigenously built anti-ship missile,” an official told The Sunday Standard.
Are we talking about here an anti-ship ballastic missile or its a typo, hope it is not.

If it is ASBM then what will be the possible targets, let me guess a CBG from PLAN... 8)
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Is there a Govt. department for naval trade or will it need another Shivaji?

link - list of Indian Govt. departments.

I was wondering if the Govt. has ships for direct naval trade between BRIC countries (Ex Brazil<=>India direct without any port stops).
Last edited by vishvak on 14 Dec 2011 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

Kersi D wrote: INFERENCE

There was to be a trial "between" the Arjun and T 90s. This trial was apparently put off for known/unknown reasons, the reasons definitely not known to me.

The trials finally took place later but AFTER India signed an agreement for manufacturing / making more T 90s in India.

Was Russia scared that the T 90s may be the runner up and hence made sure that the agreement for manufacturing / making more T 90s was signed before the trials

I need not say anything more

K
First of all, I didn't ask for your inference. I had asked for any news in public domain!! You have been stating your inferences/opinions in your posts, so another of that wasn't necessary. You are crying here like the Pakis that everything is a foreign hand (CIA/RAW/Mossad conspiracy) without any proof.

I won't go into the Russian perspective, because I am not here to defend Russia/Russians/or any other country. But give a thought why India goes to Russia even after such incidents!! Because of historical dependencies on Russian equipment. As Indian technology matures, these will decrease. Its sad that some of the troubles crept up when India could have needed the equipment, but that is how it is! We cannot change that now. Let us hope Indian manufacturing matures as soon as possible which is still in doldrums (getting into negative growth this quarter), without which if India has to go to any country for mature defence tech, they would charge an arm and a leg, afterall they are there to do business first.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Kersi D wrote:I think that it is a debateable point. Per se we do not have any expertise in building large warships. IAC is a far cry from the 'Delhi' class made till then.
Late 80s we had designs from DCN, and had even paid then consultancy fees for fine tuning the design. Would have used British gas turbines & French/German diesels. Let me search them up.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The IAC was originally called the ADS,mainly to prevent sabotage from a sister service.The word "aircraft carrier" was the equivalent to a red rag to the bulls! Thus the modest ADS was initially planned to be smller than the IAC-1,and French help,Italian too, were sourced in arriiving at a design.Once the IN camel got its nose inside the tent,the ADS design was found to be too small to meet opertaional parmeters and it was enlarged as much as poss,keeping in min our shipbuiling capability at Cochin.In retrospect,it is still too small and cannot carry enough aircraft and helos to meet expected performance.For instance,it cannot launch and recover conventional aircraft simultaneously.A major flaw,

However,when compared with the Gorshkov,a larger warship,the extra width of the flight deck of the IAC is better than that of the Gorshkov,which is too narrow (at the island) particularly when launching aircraft using STO.US carriers have standardised upon 9 degrees as the angle of their flight deck.It gives very good area of deck space free for launch ops.It will be very interesting to see how the naval LCA performs on both carriers.The small size makes it a most interesting aircraft to operate,especially if its range and endurance can be extended using in-flight refuelling.It can carry med. range BVRs,SR dogfighting missiles and even anti-ship Harpoon/ski or Exocet missiles.Its chief drawback is that it is single-engined and will require tremendous reliability as it cannot land on water!

I would seriously examine acquiring the second UK QE carrier which Britain will not be able to operate due to the fund crunch and plans to sell.WE have had an excellent track record of operating British carriers and the QE is the perfect size for the IN.

Here is a report from Russia,"hopeful" of winnng the second line of subs order.Read the full report.One presumes from it that the sub will lso have an AIP moodule.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/12/13/62153914.html
Russian submarine has good chances to win tender in India
The new Russian submarine “Amur-1650” is taking part in the tender which India is holding for purchasing and licensed producing 6 non-atomic submarines.

Experts say that the Russian submarine has good chances to win.

The “Amur” has already been tested at a plant where it is produced – and found highly battle-worthy. Hydroacoustic cover of the latest generation makes it practically unnoticeable for radars.

“Still, it would be too early to have no doubts that the Russian submarine would win this tender,” the Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper “Nezavisimoe Voennoe Obozrenie” (“Independent Military Review”) Victor Litovkin says.

“The majority of diesel submarines which the Indian navy currently possesses are Russian-made, some of them made back in the Soviet time. In total, 80% of the weapons currently used by the Indian army and navy are Russian-made. However, it would be a bit too optimistic to say for sure that as far as Russian submarines have been popular in India until now, Indians will choose the Russian submarine this time as well. The matter is that India now wants new, modernized arms, and to make Indians prefer the Russian submarine to those made by other competitors, this time, Russia has to offer something really special. Still, Russia’s trump card is that we are ready not only to sell our submarines to India, but to help Indians produce submarines of their own.”

The producer of the Russian submarine, a design engineering bureau named “Rubin”, has done much to adjust its brainchild to the demands of the Indian navy. The submarine has an energy device of a new generation which can work out energy no matter how long the submarine stays under water (with the energy devices of the older generations, submarines had to regularly rise to the surface to reload their batteries). Besides, they made the submarine especially fit for accommodating the supersonic cruise missiles “BrahMos” (which are a joint production of Russia and India). Thus, the Russian submarine has good chances of winning the tender, though the ones suggested by other competitors, Germany and Sweden, are also highly evaluated by experts.

However, even if Russia doesn’t win this tender, it won’t mean a big loss for it in cooperation with India in the sphere of military equipment. The two countries still have many other joint projects in this sphere – for example, Russia is currently modernizing the Indian aircraft carrier “Vikramaditya”. It is planned to test it in the open sea in 2012.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I won't go into the Russian perspective, because I am not here to defend Russia/Russians/or any other country. But give a thought why India goes to Russia even after such incidents!! Because of historical dependencies on Russian equipment. As Indian technology matures, these will decrease. Its sad that some of the troubles crept up when India could have needed the equipment, but that is how it is! We cannot change that now.
That does not mean we cannot infer the Russian behaviour and criticise it and make sure we never give them a chance to do it again.

There are lots of problems cropping up all over and one can infer a variety of things from these. We are never going to get a MOD statement as some people would like that the Russians are strong arming us etc etc

Not sure what was your issue on pouncing on Kersi for??
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Gurinder P wrote:^ what Philip has just said kind of makes on wonder about the public companies in defense. I am a believer in socialism and public corporations but if companies like Mazagon are unable to meet the demand and their lobbying is crippling the IN then by all means hire a private Indian shipyard and the benefit of that can be competition bringing quality ships at cheaper prices and if the contracts are delayed then by all means penalties can be charged.
This is nothing but licence raj !!!
K
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Igzackly! The Licence Raj still exists when it comes to safeguarding the PSUs as the babus who control them do not want to give up their power,even though they are not technocrats.Take the case of Air India for example.In most Asian countries like Japan,local private industry would've been given priority and a large share of the orders to make products cost-effective.Gen.Sinha's article shows the stranglehold babudom has over the MOD/services is worth reading again.

Coming back to foreign orders,as said before,we should evaluate each order on a case-by-case basis.Which ones worked well and which didn't.unit costs,overall life-cycle costs,etc.For example,in the case of Russia,the two batches of Talwars are supposed to being built in two diff. yards.How have they performed vs each other? I think even Sukhois/engines are form two plants.Not sure.For the US, one could evaluate Lockheed vs Boeing,etc.Plus,the overall performance,satisfaction quotient, over a longer period of time spanning several years,will give a fuller picture.It is quite a complex situation ,but needs to be studied to avoid repetition of past mistakes in current scenarios.
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

How does this sound to you guys. Having Indian companies like Tata, L&T, or whomever is the lead naval architects in India design ships but instead of building them in India (because of the lackluster shipbuilding companies), have them built in foreign yards like in SK. Hyundai, Samsung and Daewoo are huge shipbuilding conglomerates that can meet the challenge by building ships in a timely manner, and with excellent quality.

I know some of the liability that comes with it like design espionage from the PRC or SK being able to install third party systems like the Kashtan, etc.. but those could always be installed back in India.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

First,the local private yards have to be kept busy with enough oirders or ships and subs in series,so that they can plan far ahead with order boks full.I am not sure whether we would like to have our designs "available" to a foreign yard,for obvious reasons.Details like armour plating,etc. are generally kept secret,as today's missiles/PGMs can strike precisely at the weak spots.What may be competitive is to have the smaller ombtnt classes built locally,either at PSUs or pirivate yards at cheaper prices than if built abroad.I am sure that mall patrol craft,OPVs,etc. will be the kind of vessels that we would eb ble to sell well.

For larger vessels,the problem that we face us that most advanced weaponry and sensors are not of Indian origin.All our anti-ship missiles,SAMs,anti-sub weaponry,guns too,are of foreign origin.BMos is the only JV item,where the missile is heavily based upon the Russian Yakhont.So in order to provide for a viable design,the buyer must be vetted first by the sensor/weapom system provider.A complicated process as they too would like to sell thier own wares directly.!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

With PM in Moscow, India likely to get Russian nuclear submarine by year-end
TNN | Dec 16, 2011,

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 125531.cms

Xcpt:
NEW DELHI: India will finally get to operate INS Chakra, the rechristened Akula-II class nuclear-powered submarine 'K-152 Nerpa' being leased from Russia for 10 years, in the new year.

With PM Manmohan Singh now in Moscow, sources said India would in all probability get the Nerpa around end-December. Over 50 Indian officers and sailors have undergone extensive training on the Nerpa, followed by testing and acceptance trials of the submarine spread over several weeks, as was earlier reported by TOI.

The submarine will not complete India's "nuclear triad'' since it will not be armed with long-range nuclear-tipped missiles due to international treaties like the Missile Technology Control Regime.