Indo-UK News & Discussion 9th Aug 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussion 9th Aug 2011

Post by Prem »

The readers' editor on… putting the record straight on partition and Kashmir
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... on-kashmir
According to Encyclopaedia Britannica: "Hari Singh, the maharaja of Kashmir, initially believed that by delaying his decision he could maintain the independence of Kashmir. But caught up in a train of events that included a revolution among his Muslim subjects along the western borders of his state with Pashtun tribesmen, he signed an instrument of accession to the Indian Union in October 1947."This was the signal for intervention both by Pakistan, which considered the state to be a natural extension of Pakistan, and by India, which intended to confirm the act of accession."The Britannica account could also provoke some controversy, as the Pashtuns mentioned were also said to be in fact a flying column of Waziri tribesmen from the Afghan frontier.
But both Dogra and Britannica confirm the error in the original interactive graphic. I am surprised that it went unnoticed for so long, given the fierceness and depth of the arguments over the region. . I do not expect mistakes like this in a publication such as yours unless it has been done on purpose. Conspiracy theories aside, I look forward to your reply."It was certainly not deliberate, there was no conspiracy. However, writing in these sensitive areas often leads to the most fantastic theories about what is nearly always plain human error.So five years later we will correct the webpages in the archive as we would always when there is a clear factual error. As John F Kennedy told a group of journalists in 1962: "An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." I hope we are not too late.
Indians are now getting increasingly suspicious, sick and tired of Briturds. Check the remark below

Ranger99025

This is a pre-emptive post. Usually every article or every mention of the word "India" in Guardian or for that matter any British newspaper / website attracts comments typically claiming "India getting billions in aid from Britain but wasting that money on space program, nuclear program etc. and letting its people starve" ... for such occasions I have a stock response. Here goes :
-----------------
Look, I understand you British people hate India and wish it ill, and seek to disparage it at every opportunity. There is a lot about India to mock, real stuff you can mock.... but please stop resorting to idiotically false statements.
British aid to India is $300 million. US aid to India is around $200 million.
India's recent aid to Europian Union to save the failing European economy was $10 billion. India's aid to Africa this year was $5 billion. India's aid to Afghanistan has been $3 billion over last 2-3 years.So if you people think India is like some sub-saharan country like Rwanda and Somalia that depend on your aid to feed their people, think again.India does not need any aid. If anything, India is by far a net aid donor than a taker.Your (US+UK) aid to India is : Around $500 million. India's combined aid to various countries is : $20 billion.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Anup, I agree. India should stop taking aid from Anglo Saxon West as its more like AIDS. When India is giving ~$20B aid its ridiculous to seek paltry $300M which most likely has to be spent on UK goods and services.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

anupmisra wrote:
Haresh wrote:More arrogance for the old colonialists http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs- ... rd-do.html
Look, nothing personal but why is it "arrogance"? Those colonialists left 65 years ago. Thats three generations ago. That's a paki mentality IMO. That's how pakis treat charity (as a sign of entitlement).

What the average beer swiggling brit is saying in the comments section requires a serious relook on India's part just to keep that duffer off its back and on the dole. Why not return the 280 Million pounds (with thanks) that amounts to peanuts for India anyway in the bigger scheme of things, stop taking any more charity/grants from them and then carry on with the grand projects that India wants to pursue? Get the own house in order, so to speak.
Every Indian (self respecting or not) agrees that this aid is peanuts and useless and we must return it and show a finger to the west. But GoI doesn't do it. Why?
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

RamaY wrote: Every Indian (self respecting or not) agrees that this aid is peanuts and useless and we must return it and show a finger to the west. But GoI doesn't do it. Why?
Because it funds the donors luxury life styles, err consultants.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^^ more importantly it keeps the briturd networks in desh well oiled.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

you will find that since 2010 the Unkil-aunty network is projecting a facade of "revivalism" via the prostitute Anglosphere media.

Highlighting the Olympics, pivot to asia, "wait the west isn't done yet" etc etc.

And ever since FDI in retail did not happen .. the old drain inspection stories started being recirculated. because any theme of revival in the west must necessarily include poverty ***** from India to show their own populations how "well off" they still are.

I love the angle given in every story about MMS and Khangress failures about how that can somehow be linked to India's trajectory as a power. The article should focus only on the current dispensation, but noooo it has to delve into the usual drain inspection complete with the story of an old Indian lady from a village waiting for a cataract operation.

In the side bar you will have a picture of a blonde anglo-saxon athlete breaking some record at the olympics. Nazi propaganda at its best.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Lilo wrote:^^ more importantly it keeps the briturd networks in desh well oiled.
Bingo!!
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... q-comments
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

I think it will be a good thing if the Koh-I-Noor is returned to India. I would prefer it go to a national museum but Golden Temple would do as well as long as rest of us are allowed the "darshan".
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Like the Elgin marbles,the Koh-I-Noor is likely to become a stone in the shoe of the Brits.If any one of these ultra-high profile examples of colonial "looting/safeguarding" ,it will result in an avalanche of other claims,right from Shah Jehan's drinking cup,tent,etc.,in the V&A.

More from the Telegraph report.

Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond
The descendants of the last Maharaja of the Sikh Empire, who was forced to hand over the Koh-i-Noor diamond to Queen Victoria, will on Monday launch a court action for his body and possessions to be returned to India.
By Dean Nelson, New Delhi

09 Sep 2012

The petition from a family claiming to be the descendants of Duleep Singh, who was exiled to Britain, aims to force the Indian government to intensify its efforts to reclaim the Koh-i-Noor.

The jewel is currently mounted in the crown of the Queen Consort, last worn by the late Queen Mother.

The family is also seeking the return of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's golden throne and for both to be kept at the Golden Temple, the centre of the Sikh faith, in Amrtisar, India.

Their case reopens a controversial chapter in British colonial history that still arouses strong passions in India, particularly in Punjab, where Sikhs regard the exile of Duleep Singh and his "gift" of the Koh-i-Noor diamond to Queen Victoria in 1850 as a national humiliation.

The diamond had been acquired by his father, Maharaja Ranjit Singh, from the deposed Afghan ruler Shuja Shah Durrani as his price to support his return to power in Kabul.
Related Articles

The Koh-i-Noor: diamond robbery?
29 Jul 2010

The legal action seeks to establish the claim of Jaswinder Singh Sandhanwalia, a 50 year old company administrator based in Amsterdam, and his relatives, to be the rightful descendants and heirs of Maharaja Duleep Singh.

According to the family, their great-grandfather Thakur Singh Sandhanwalia was Duleep Singh's blood cousin and his adoptive son. Their claim is based on a letter discovered in the India Office archives by the historical author Christy Campbell, a former Sunday Telegraph journalist, during the research for his 2002 book The Maharaja's Box.

The letter, dated January 7 1889, was written to Duleep Singh by three members of the Sandhanwalia family to explain their plans to ignite a rebellion against British rule and for the Maharaja to return to India with 20,000 foreign fighters to lead the charge.

The Indians had become so demoralised by the defeat of the 1857 Sepoy Mutiny that they would not rise up again without the aid of a foreign army, they said.

The claimants will rely on a paragraph in the letter in which the authors express their gratitude to the Maharaja for adopting them as his own heirs.

"It is impossible for us to express the real sense of indebtedness for the honour of making us son as Y.M (the Maharaja) has been graciously pleased to confer to make us. It is the highest of all honours in the world," they wrote.

Following his exile at 15, Duleep Singh had been raised by guardians in Britain as an English and Scottish gentleman, encouraged to convert to Christianity, and to forget his Indian origins.

He lived in Castle Menzies in Perthshire where his dandyish taste in clothes and love of shooting won him the nickname the 'Black Prince of Perthshire'. He was set up with a shooting estate at Elvedon, Suffolk and later sought in vain to become a Tory MP.

But according to Campbell, he rebelled in 1887 and made contact with the Sandhanwalias.

"He rebelled against his Empress and entered into a bizarre conspiracy with a right-wing Moscow newspaper magnate, Irish nationalists and Sikh patriots (the Sandhanwalias) to reclaim his birthright. As well as the empire of his father, the great Ranjit Singh, which stretched from the Indian Ocean to the Himalayas, it included the Koh-I-Noor diamond. Duleep claimed he'd been tricked out of it by Queen Victoria. He referred to her as 'Mrs Fagin," he said.

The Sandhanwalia's legal battle for the diamond and their last emperor's body to be returned will begin in Chandigarh's civil court on Monday.

"The great-grandfather of Duleep Singh and the Great-grandfather of the Thakur were from the same family, but he [Duleep Singh] also adopted them as his sons. Our property was confiscated by British rule. This letter establishes us as the rightful heirs of Duleep Singh and we want to get back his remains and his other belongings to the Golden Temple," Jaswinder Singh Sandhanwalia told The Daily Telegraph on Sunday.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

^^Good. We need more and more claims on other items too whether the cases are decided in favour or not. btw, I had enjoyed a book (author Rushby??) called 'chasing the mountain of light across India' which isnt just limited to Koh-i-Noor but gives a lot of other info on diamonds.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

ramana wrote:Anup, I agree. India should stop taking aid from Anglo Saxon West as its more like AIDS. When India is giving ~$20B aid its ridiculous to seek paltry $300M which most likely has to be spent on UK goods and services.
I've lost the link but what I do remember is that 60% of UK aid to India goes to British consultants as remuneration, 35% goes towards purchase of British goods and the remaining 5% is spent in India (chota pegs etc)

The biggest reason the UK continues to provide 'aid' to India is because of the NGO consultant lobby.

Not that anyone in the tabloids is gonna buy this. The sad part though is that both NDA/UPA accommodated the pleas of Labor/Tories to continue the aid.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

viv wrote:^^Good. We need more and more claims on other items too whether the cases are decided in favour or not. btw, I had enjoyed a book (author Rushby??) called 'chasing the mountain of light across India' which isnt just limited to Koh-i-Noor but gives a lot of other info on diamonds.
Another is Nassak Diamond, stolen from Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple post Third Anglo-Maratha War.

The diamond stolen from the famous shiva temple, which I have been fortunate to see and have darshan, was then sold to a British jeweler, then appeared on a dress sword, then went on to an auction house in USA and so on. Thuggery is no shame in the west, especially if jewels are from a temple.
Last edited by vishvak on 11 Sep 2012 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ loot was an officially sanctioned form of remuneration for empire soldiers. dalrymple describes in some detail the formal planning and execution of the looting of delhi in 1857
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

On CBS today, Andy Murray was being interviewed and Charlie Rose asked how Andy felt being a Brit to win after 76 years, but threw in Sean Connery's tweet about Murray being Scottish not British:

"Stop saying Murray is British, he is Scottish, I have been fighting for it for 40 years..."

felt nice the divisions among Scots and English are still burning bright, after what these buggers did to us.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Some interesting tidbits of nation state called the united 'kingdom'.
Etymology of UK
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

The latest issue of the Economist has as one of its 'leader' articles, "India's frightened Moslems". Eye-catching, sensationalist, quite manipulative. It's about the whole conflagration in Assam. Considering that people other than Moslems were affected, they could have used a more nuanced title. Is that asking too much of a British mag when it comes to India?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Why would they? British and many outsiders have been trying to soak Anti-India feelings in Muslims, members of the SC/ST communities and others. Anything which puts down India is good for them
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

£5million of British aid to India spent on consultants to tell us how well we spend our aid cash

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z26FJn4NB9
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Aid 'consultants’ are a waste of public money

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/tele ... money.html

'Poverty barons' who make a fortune from taxpayer-funded aid budget

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... udget.html
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

My brother works as an engineer in a Municipality town in Andhra Pradesh. He told me that their town got one water tanker from UK as aid/donation. The vehicle was very old and in not working condition when it came to that Municipality. They had to spend good amount to get it repaired and put it in use.

My question was why didnt they buy a Rs 5-10L tata small truck and use it. He said the govt doesnt give funds on a timely basis and instead pushes this junk down.

any other such stories?
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Perhaps India can provide some aid from its own overseas aid programme!

One in Five Children in Bolton Living in Poverty
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

"Leaving London where it is easier to find a Burka than a Bookstore; locate a a Niqabi than access WiFi. May God help the British Isles."

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Sushupti wrote:"Leaving London where it is easier to find a Burka than a Bookstore; locate a a Niqabi than access WiFi. May God help the British Isles."

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah
I'm an Indian born in Pakistan; a Punjabi born in Islam off Hindu ancestry & Sikh culture. Grounded in a Marxist youth, I'm a Sarmachar, but 1st a Canadian.
Interesting comment on his tweeter profile.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The first page of his book "Chasing a Mirage... Tragic Illusion of an Islamic State" (I think that's the title) is almost entirely made up of such comments. Any Pak picking it up will declare him a cutlet right away.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

From Birmingham to the Badlands: MP raises security fears after plans to open 4,000-mile, £130-a-ticket bus route to Pakistan

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z27aKBoLxb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

THE COMMENTS, THE COMMENTS!! :rotfl:
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Betrayed by the PC brigade: From the Mail writer who first revealed the scandal of Muslim sex gangs, a damning exposé of how politically correct police and social workers betrayed underage white victims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z27lsxy1M9

NOTICE how they no longer use the word "ASIAN", I guess the Chinese got fed up with it :twisted:

Meanwhile a Lefty/liberal rag, wrings it's feeble hands and offers 8ull$hit as an explanation.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ntpage=all

I am pleased to report that my comment has so far received 32 recomendations.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

India ‘censoring’ maps: The Economist

Accusing India of being “more intolerant” than “either China or Pakistan” on the issue of its disputed territorial claims, The Economist has warned its Indian readers that they may be “deprived” of a map it carries in its latest issue to illustrate a 14-page special report on the country.

It invites them to see an “accurate description” of the various territorial claims by using its interactive map on its website.

A box item, “Missing map?” says: “Sadly India censors maps that show the current effective border, insisting instead that only its full territorial claims be shown. It is more intolerant on this issue than either China or Pakistan. Indian readers will probably be deprived of the map on the second page of this special report. Unlike their government, we think our Indian readers can face political reality. Those who want to see an accurate depiction of the various territorial claims can do so using our interactive map at Economist.com/asian borders.”
The Economist, the UQ rag published out of Londonistan is now crying foul that it has got a kick on the musharaff from Indian Govt.
.... Indian readers will probably be deprived of the map....
Deprived ?
Yeah right - actually time is nigh when when these financial rags out of London like Economist and FT are stripped off their old capacities to give speculative boosts to their masters and will be given a silent burial by the rest of the world. Already the events leading from 2008 bubble has ravaged the ponzi citadel of Londonistan. The once famous "subscription only" rags are now fighting for scraps of credibility and are daily panned left and right by readership as can be seen in the comment sections.

These tantrums are in reality death pangs.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Keith Vaz,the "teflon man",allegedly Hinduja's man in the UK parliament, has now been caught with hundreds of thousands of unaccounted money in his bank accounts.If found in the wrong,it will finish off Vaz's political career,perhaps a jail term in the offing too and end the antics of a colourful MP from our parts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... 00000.html

Secret police probe into Labour MP's £500,000
A police investigation into a high-profile Labour MP discovered that he apparently held hundreds of thousands of pounds in a series of bank accounts, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.
By Robert Winnett, Holly Watt and Claire Newell

9:55PM BST 30 Sep 2012

The Scotland Yard inquiry said funds believed to have been “of a suspicious nature” were paid into current and savings accounts in the name of or linked to Keith Vaz, a minister in the previous Labour government.

Detectives found that over a six-year period, almost £500,000 was apparently deposited in the MP’s accounts — in addition to his salary between 1997 and 2001.

The source of the funds has not been declared publicly and the evidence gathered by police may contradict assurances given by Mr Vaz during an investigation into his finances between 2000 and 2001 carried out by parliament.

The Labour MP has denied any wrongdoing and claims that any money passing through his bank accounts came from the proceeds of property deals. The Metropolitan Police is facing calls to hand evidence it collected to the parliamentary commissioner for standards, who can reopen an inquiry into allegations first made a decade ago.

Mr Vaz is chairman of the home affairs select committee, charged with holding the police and Whitehall to account. Whitehall sources claimed that he had not been vetted for the role, unlike holders of other senior offices, and a Conservative MP called for him to step down while the matter was clarified.
Related Articles

The 'Teflon' MP who counts leaders among his friends
30 Sep 2012

Met applied for orders to look at accounts held by MP’s wife
30 Sep 2012

Keith Vaz says child sex ring case 'not race issue'
09 May 2012

The Daily Telegraph has seen a police document in which detectives claim to have established that £28,959 in cash was paid into an HSBC account held by Mr Vaz during a single year. The MP and his wife also held a series of other accounts at different banks that were also examined by police.

In an internal briefing document circulated within Scotland Yard, detectives expressed their belief that “the level of funds received … are of a suspicious nature”.

During the period under investigation, Mr Vaz made no formal disclosures in the parliamentary register of interests of any outside sources of income. He said last night that he did not have any outside income.

The Metropolitan Police secretly applied for production orders for seven different high-street banks, which were required to provide details of the accounts they held for Mr Vaz and his wife, Maria Fernandes. Sources claim that Sir Richard Wilson, who was Cabinet Secretary from 1998 to 2002, was briefed by the police about the investigation’s findings. It is not known if Tony Blair, who was prime minister at the time, was also made aware of the information.

Mr Vaz was investigated by the parliamentary commissioner for standards between 2000 and 2001 after it was alleged that he may have benefited from money paid by a solicitor and the billionaire Hinduja brothers.

The minister was forced to resign and was suspended from parliament for seeking to frustrate the investigation by refusing to provide financial information. Elizabeth Filkin, who was the parliamentary commissioner, resigned soon after the inquiry amid allegations that she had been undermined. However, Mr Vaz was cleared of the central allegation of receiving illicit funds.

Andrew Bridgen, a Tory MP said Mr Vaz had “questions to answer” and he would be writing to the parliamentary standards commissioner today. “I feel that he cannot continue to hold his role with the home affairs select committee during an investigation and call on him to stand down,” he said.

The Metropolitan Police refused to comment.

The Daily Telegraph has established that in June 2001, in the wake of the parliamentary inquiry into Mr Vaz, a report on the MP was filed to the National Intelligence Criminal ­Service (NICS). A Scotland Yard document says that a report made to the NICS stated: “News reports have linked Vaz to the Hinduja brothers passport application affair and imply that he may have received payments.

“Investigations into credits in 1998 show in excess of £58k was paid into the savings account and over £24k into the current account. These payments contain significant amounts of cash and do not appear to be salary payments. In view of the allegations against Vaz and reports that he did not fully comply with the standards commissioner when questioned during the inquiry, we believe that the level of funds received during 1998 are of a suspicious nature.”

The police documents claim that before the 1997 election, £13,908 was paid into the HSBC accounts and £9,247 taken out. However, in 1997 the amount apparently rose to £136,566 paid in and £130,427 taken out; rising again in 1998 to £187,103 paid in, including nearly £29,000 in cash, and £191,999 taken out. The following year, £120,394 was deposited and £123,991 withdrawn. In 2000, when the first parliamentary investigation into Mr Vaz’s conduct began, the deposits fell to £8,410.

The police report stated that another account was used for salary payments. It concluded: “There are numerous unexplained payments into the accounts and large transfers between accounts that require further investigation.”

It is understood that Scotland Yard was unable to establish the source of the funds in question or prove any criminal misconduct. A Whitehall source said that what was uncovered was “a matter for parliament rather than for the police”.

During the period in question, Mr Vaz collected an annual salary of between £43,860 and £82,697.

Of central significance is a company called Mapesbury Communications set up by Mr Vaz in 1994 to receive earnings from outside parliament. It was run by his wife. Mr Vaz told the parliamentary commissioner that he had never received any payments from Mapesbury.

However, Scotland Yard stated: “At least one payment has been received into this [HSBC] personal account from Mapesbury Communications Ltd. A point which Vaz has strongly denied.”

Last night, Mr Vaz said this information was incorrect.

Mr Vaz resigned as Europe minister in June 2001 in the midst of the parliamentary inquiry into his conduct and was never reappointed to government by Mr Blair. In a statement last night, he strongly denied any wrongdoing.

“These matters relate to two parliamentary inquiries which began in 1999 and concluded in 2003,” he said. “My finances were discussed by every newspaper in the country for a period of three years and were the subject of extensive examination.

“All ministers have to report all their financial interests to their permanent secretary, which I did. I had no discussions with the then cabinet secretary or the then prime minister about any of these issues. I know of no investigation.”

The MP also added that he “had never banked with HSBC”.

However, in his parliamentary expenses files, copies of which have also been seen by The Daily Telegraph, Mr Vaz refunded money to parliament using a cheque from an account held at First Direct, which is part of HSBC.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.samachar.com/Lt-Gen-KS-Brar- ... ejhii.html
"Lieutenant General Kuldeep Singh Brar, who led Operation Blue Star, attacked in London
London: Lieutenant General Kuldeep Singh Brar, who led Operation Blue Star against Sikh militants holed up inside the Golden Temple in 1984, has been stabbed and injured in London.
The Indian High Commission has confirmed that three men assaulted General Brar, 78, outside his hotel and stabbed him with a knife. He has been operated upon now and is now recovering at home. Sources say that Gen Brar is returning home to India on Tuesday.
General Brar's wife was with him; she was pushed to the ground but was not injured. She told NDTV, We were walking down Oxford Circus at 10.30 pm in the night. Three bearded men attacked him and tried to slash his throat. We cannot say if they were Sikh. I was standing by watching and called for help. The ambulance was there within minutes and we rushed him to hospital."
Gautam
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Lt. Gen. KS Brar attacked in the UK

Post by SSridhar »

From this link in The Hindu
Sunday’s incident came amid reports that the Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) had become increasingly active in the U.K. despite a ban on its activities under terror laws since 2001. There was, however, no specific intelligence or alert relating to any threat to Gen. Brar or any other Indian.

Indian authorities were said to be miffed that the police had not acted on complaints about Khalistani-related violence. The High Commission reportedly filed a démarché after an Independence Day function in the East Midlands was disrupted last month. There was another incident involving the breaking-up of a function by the Indian Workers’ Association on August 18. Sources in the mission said no criminal action was initiated after these actions.

In July 2010, the West Midlands police arrested four BKI terrorists, including their then top U.K. leader Paramjit Singh Pamma, in connection with the murder of Rulda Singh, head of the Punjab RSS affiliate, the Rashtriya Sikh Sangat. The other three were Gursharan Bir Singh, Piara Singh Gill and Amritbir Singh. The case was being investigated by the Counter Terrorism Unit of the West Midland police but it is now {sic ?, not ?} known if any progress has been made.
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

Indian general Brar says attack was 'murder attempt'
While Lt-Gen Brar is thought to still be a target for Sikh extremists, there is no evidence they are behind this attack
What does this mean? Terrorists are not terrorists without evidence.

These brits are like pakis, so predictable.

It would be very funny if they make statement like pakis. "British territory would not be allowed for terrorist activity"
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

g.sarkar wrote:"Lieutenant General Kuldeep Singh Brar, who led Operation Blue Star, attacked in London
Was the Retd. Gen on a much publicised visit to the UK, or was it purely a personal visit? One angle we need to look this from would be whether the assailants actually followed and identified the retd. General and then attacked him. If that is the case they were on a well planned mission, with enough details provided to them to track the movements and attack him.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i wouldnt rule out an ISI tracking operation feeding the khalistanis info - anything to stir the pot
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Sachin wrote:
g.sarkar wrote:"Lieutenant General Kuldeep Singh Brar, who led Operation Blue Star, attacked in London
Was the Retd. Gen on a much publicised visit to the UK, or was it purely a personal visit? One angle we need to look this from would be whether the assailants actually followed and identified the retd. General and then attacked him. If that is the case they were on a well planned mission, with enough details provided to them to track the movements and attack him.
Saar, please to read post from SSridhar-ji.

SSridhar wrote:From this link in The Hindu
Sunday’s incident came amid reports that the Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) had become increasingly active in the U.K. despite a ban on its activities under terror laws since 2001. There was, however, no specific intelligence or alert relating to any threat to Gen. Brar or any other Indian.

Indian authorities were said to be miffed that the police had not acted on complaints about Khalistani-related violence. The High Commission reportedly filed a démarché after an Independence Day function in the East Midlands was disrupted last month. There was another incident involving the breaking-up of a function by the Indian Workers’ Association on August 18. Sources in the mission said no criminal action was initiated after these actions.

In July 2010, the West Midlands police arrested four BKI terrorists, including their then top U.K. leader Paramjit Singh Pamma, in connection with the murder of Rulda Singh, head of the Punjab RSS affiliate, the Rashtriya Sikh Sangat. The other three were Gursharan Bir Singh, Piara Singh Gill and Amritbir Singh. The case was being investigated by the Counter Terrorism Unit of the West Midland police but it is now {sic ?, not ?} known if any progress has been made.
It can happen ONLY in Britian. Nowhere else. It is plain naieve to think that the Brits were unaware of the events were about to unfold. . It is not for no reason that Khalistanis congregate in Britain. It _comes_ _with_ the !active! _blessings_ of the state.
And contrary to what the Brofessor said, I think it could be the Brits who passed the information. After all, Gen.Brar needs a visa no?

BTW, Relations between India and Britain have headed southward in the last few years. It started with the Queen and the commonweatlh. The bad press GoI got from Britain during the games. The aid issue. The Visa office issues in Brussels where Indians were asked to go to Paris and the subsequent Indian response. The cold reception to Cameron! Over the last 12 months ,I have seen that India has been shown consistently in poor light in the British press.
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

IIRC one of our diplomats was killed in the Queendom during the first outbreak of Khalistani terrorism. The local cops and MI5 and Sc@tland Yard ityadi ultimately turned out to be as useful as (with due respects to Patches O'Houlihan) a co(k flavored lollipop.

Damn.... is my anglophobia showing? :D

Added Later: Just found it:- Our man was Ravindra Mhatre.... and it was the Kashmiris, not Khalistanis.
Frederic
BRFite

Post by Frederic »

Neela wrote: BTW, Relations between India and Britain have headed southward in the last few years. It started with the Queen and the commonweatlh. The bad press GoI got from Britain during the games. The aid issue. The Visa office issues in Brussels where Indians were asked to go to Paris and the subsequent Indian response. The cold reception to Cameron! Over the last 12 months ,I have seen that India has been shown consistently in poor light in the British press.
Neela, could you pls elaborate on the Brussels visa issue?
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Frederic wrote:
Neela wrote: BTW, Relations between India and Britain have headed southward in the last few years. It started with the Queen and the commonweatlh. The bad press GoI got from Britain during the games. The aid issue. The Visa office issues in Brussels where Indians were asked to go to Paris and the subsequent Indian response. The cold reception to Cameron! Over the last 12 months ,I have seen that India has been shown consistently in poor light in the British press.
Neela, could you pls elaborate on the Brussels visa issue?

Please to read.
British authorities stopped issuing visas to Indians in Belgium and instead asked them to travel to Paris to apply for the same.

It warmed the cockles of me heart when I read this:
The Indian retaliation though was not limited to restricting UK nationals from applying for visa in Brussels. It also increased the visa fee, bringing it on par with the money charged from Indians for UK visa.
Last edited by Neela on 03 Oct 2012 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1121003/j ... GvHrK7M_KQ
Brar’s attackers drop telltale mobile
- General sure of Khalistan hand
"London, Oct. 2: Journalists attending a meeting today to remember Mahatma Gandhi on his birth anniversary picked up what could prove to be a useful bit of intelligence about the four bearded men who tried to kill retired Lt Gen. Kuldip Singh Brar on Sunday night in London.
Police were called at 10.40pm after the incident on Old Quebec Street, a pedestrianised cul de sac off Marble Arch where about the only feature of interest is an upmarket Indian restaurant, Les Porte Des Indes, which offers Indian food from Puducherry.
The former general, though 78, fought back “with abnormal strength” and though cut in the neck with a sharp knife, his intended assailants were unable to inflict the intended fatal cut on his throat.
“Now when I think back I can’t imagine how I fought with those three big guys. But I suppose being a soldier and having been in the army for so many years, one learns to defend oneself,” Brar told a TV channel last night.
As Brar’s wife screamed and members of the public raised the alarm, one of the assailants apparently dropped a mobile as the men panicked and made their getaway.
“With the mobile phone, police have everything they need to catch the men,” was a confident prediction.
Scotland Yard was today unable to confirm whether such a mobile had been picked up but it could prove a vital breakthrough if this is the case.
Brar, due to fly back to India today, told the television channel: “This was a pure assassination attempt on me. Even on Internet there are so many threats being sent to me to say that there have been many attempts on your life but they haven’t succeeded, but the next one will succeed. They’ve been after me.”
He further said: “On 6th of June, which is the anniversary of Bluestar, every year, particularly in London, the radical Sikhs come out in procession with banners and make pledges to kill me. So it was a pure assassination attempt.”
Brar said it was “obvious” the assailants were Khalistan sympathisers, who, he added, have wanted to kill him since Operation Bluestar.
Given most of the informal conversation at today’s ceremony in Fitzroy Square was about the violent attack on Brar, it is perhaps a little ironic that a retinue of speakers, led by the high commissioner, Jaimini Bhagwati, stressed the Mahatma’s non-violent teachings after floral bouquets were placed at the base of his statue.
Among the 100-150 people gathered on a fine autumn morning were diplomats, officials, journalists, members of local councils and faithful old India Leaguers.
No one spoke on the record but the background story is that Brar, who is entitled to security, comes to London frequently and had not asked for cover. His view is it that it is sometimes better to slip in and out of the UK unobtrusively without drawing attention to himself. He had not informed India House he was in London. Had he done so, India House would have told the foreign office which, in turn, would have passed the message eventually to protection officers at Scotland Yard.
Today, Scotland Yard had nothing to say about the progress in the case. It was being treated as an attempted murder rather than a terrorist offence. But given the interest of the Indian media, Metropolitan Police are aware this is a high-profile case.
Will the police get the four men?
“I don’t think so,” said a Sikh source plugged into the community.
What was the general reaction in the community to the attempt to kill Brar?
The man’s answer was matter of fact but shocking: “Most support it — given who Brar is.”
Twenty-eight years after Brar led Operation Bluestar against militants holed up in the Golden Temple in Amritsar, it seems the old fires have largely died down but the embers have not all been extinguished.
The official Indian view, to put it politely, is that the British could do a little more to track down and neutralise a hard core of pro-Khalistan militants — most Indian observers are assuming “no other group of men with beards would have an interest in trying to kill General Brar”.
Another view is that the issue of Khalistan is kept alive by small groups of Sikhs in gurdwaras and other associations as a way of raising funds — “It has become a business”.
It is likely there will be talks in Delhi between the external affairs ministry and British diplomats, who will be encouraged to root out the remnants of Sikh militancy in Britain......."
Gautam