China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_23360
BRFite

Re: China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

Post by member_23360 »

^^^

Kolkata class will not wait for LR-SAM to be operational, only launchers will be fitted for now. Missile test will happen afterwards, once it will be ready.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Makes sense . They can complete the 1 yr of sea trials without any more delay. Its a big ship and a huge testplan for sure.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

\
Brando wrote: (**Notice the Ballast ports and the "rust" on pride of China's fleet: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo ... 824_10.htm **)

Congratulations, you Chinese are now the proud owners of the worlds largest rust bucket garbage scow!
In the photo you have linked I am guessing that you are referring to the 14 holes pouring out water as "ballast" ports. I have never noticed so many holes pouring water from the side of a ship. What are they? The rust marks suggest that water is kept pouring from them regularly.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe they are emptying the ballast tanks for easier transit down a shallow stretch of water. could be multipurpose holes to get rid of "grey" water as well like from showers, deck cleaning hoses and kitchens. the ship is riding quite high (the red part visible below the grey part)
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

thats quite a big ship. thanks Brando!
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

adityadange wrote:
thats quite a big ship. thanks Brando!
Which ship is that ? Kolkata class ?
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

^^^ yes
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

aye, once it gets the MFSTAR and barak8 arrays, will kick the behind of anything except the Type45(if they fund its full armament ever) and the Aegis/Kongo/Sejong troika.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

The Chinese aircraft carrier has been handed to the navy without a single aircraft on board. The official word is that it is an aircraft carrier experiment. With the handing over complete, it means the navy's part begins such as landing & taking off from aircraft carriers, handling support ops & managing the huge contingment on board. The real aircraft carrier threat is probably a few years down the line when they figure out how to handle the ropes. This was merely timed like the J 31 revelation.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:aye, once it gets the MFSTAR and barak8 arrays, will kick the behind of anything except the Type45(if they fund its full armament ever) and the Aegis/Kongo/Sejong troika.
Well. dunno. The Kolkata is a "finer" ship. Similar length as other two but with around 2000 ton less displacement from a smaller beam and hence "finer" and more hydrodynamically efficient.

Also, the has better anti ship capabilities than either with the Brahmos I think. The Japanese ship doesn't have a land attack capability at all , and carries no helo and hence rather limited in anti sub. The Korean ship does carry two helicopters like the Kolkata though.

Type 45 is most similar to Kolkata and has great anti air, decent anti sub, and limited anti ship. but no land attack. So from the looks of it, the Yindoo Banias seem to have packed a decent armament fit with nice all round, anti air, ship , sub and land attack capability, into a thin starving hull form!

The only quibble I have is with the Ukranian/ dated ex soviet power plants. The Type 45 does have a more upto date propulsion concept. But then, hey, what is the point in just getting there, if you dont have the armement eh, Brittania ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I wuz referring to the bigger aaw stick they can carry in the form of sm2 and sm6. Also aegis radar seen updates for tbmd and japan will mount this update and evolved sm2 missiles on kongo ships while delegating aaw to a new class of ddg being built with domestic radar.

When the 120km range iaf version of barak is developed maybe it can be navalized as well.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

vina wrote:
Singha wrote:aye, once it gets the MFSTAR and barak8 arrays, will kick the behind of anything except the Type45(if they fund its full armament ever) and the Aegis/Kongo/Sejong troika.
Well. dunno. The Kolkata is a "finer" ship. Similar length as other two but with around 2000 ton less displacement from a smaller beam and hence "finer" and more hydrodynamically efficient.

Also, the has better anti ship capabilities than either with the Brahmos I think. The Japanese ship doesn't have a land attack capability at all , and carries no helo and hence rather limited in anti sub. The Korean ship does carry two helicopters like the Kolkata though.

Type 45 is most similar to Kolkata and has great anti air, decent anti sub, and limited anti ship. but no land attack. So from the looks of it, the Yindoo Banias seem to have packed a decent armament fit with nice all round, anti air, ship , sub and land attack capability, into a thin starving hull form!

The only quibble I have is with the Ukranian/ dated ex soviet power plants. The Type 45 does have a more upto date propulsion concept. But then, hey, what is the point in just getting there, if you dont have the armement eh, Brittania ?
Please see my response in indian naval discussion since the discussion is being OT here.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1343517
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Still only boiler-clearing hrrmphs and smoke from the drones? Tugs and photoshop seem to be the centerpieces of this new carrier doctrine that is causing panic all over the world.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

From chindu

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... epage=true

good job china.. keep up the race
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

The worlds only operational carrier with no aircraft :rotfl:
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Singha wrote:The worlds only operational carrier with no aircraft :rotfl:
To be fair, Britannica was also planning to do the same!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Cheen could order a few Mig29K
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

from the report:
The PLA said the carrier would continue to serve “for scientific research purposes” besides military training.
i wonder why one would need an aircraft carrier to do "scientific research". have they set up labs in the hanger area and checking effects on plant when grown at sea level? or experimenting on various mixtures of concrete and tar for road construction for the runway? How about buying a 5000W music system and say we are not going to make any sound pollution? I pity the chinese.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Before and after

krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

adityadange wrote:from the report:
The PLA said the carrier would continue to serve “for scientific research purposes” besides military training.
i wonder why one would need an aircraft carrier to do "scientific research". have they set up labs in the hanger area and checking effects on plant when grown at sea level? or experimenting on various mixtures of concrete and tar for road construction for the runway? How about buying a 5000W music system and say we are not going to make any sound pollution? I pity the chinese.
could mean anything...can also mean doing research for their own aircraft carriers
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

To learn how to take off & land from aircraft carriers. That is their priority at the moment. They need some airpower in the SCS and what better than a floating airstrip.

It is a powerful tool of hard diplomacy. It does not need to have a huge airwing attached. A powerful carrier with multiple frigates & destroyers can intimidate most nations. Since China does not have any disputes away from home, it will be used to maintain air supemacy in the near abroad.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the mystery is which a/c will be used? su33 from ukraine? mig29k from russia? J10N from cheen?
so far no clear details.

for such a large ship does not make sense as a ASW helicopter carrier.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Only the MiG-29K (or some variant thereof) would be credible. I wonder how much progress that Su-33 has made after Russia (or USSR) abandoned it - though for H&D and mine is bigger than yours, this might be the answer.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Most probably a Chinese plane. A Russi plane would already been sitting on the deck by now. They have a point to prove to the world. They have arrived. It is imperative to show off their homegrown techs in order to drive home the point.

A 5th gen stealth plane would be the best option. But that might be too much even for the Chinese. Just that they won't stop at anything to showcase their prowess.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Singha wrote:the mystery is which a/c will be used? su33 from ukraine? mig29k from russia? J10N from cheen?
so far no clear details.

Come on its J-15 for sure, I can guarantee it. You guys know so little about Chinese military guided only by your assumptions. I don't read or speak Chinese and I know alot more. And yes thats the WS-10 engines about 4 regiments of J-11B is now using it.

nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

^^^

It seems they have been practicing touch downs on the carrier. there were skid marks on it when it was inducted in the CN. That could also imply that the Su 33 deal with Russia is a closed matter.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

nakul wrote:^^^

It seems they have been practicing touch downs on the carrier. there were skid marks on it when it was inducted in the CN. That could also imply that the Su 33 deal with Russia is a closed matter.
^^^

wong
BRFite

Post by wong »

Don wrote:
Singha wrote:the mystery is which a/c will be used? su33 from ukraine? mig29k from russia? J10N from cheen?
so far no clear details.

Come on its J-15 for sure, I can guarantee it. You guys know so little about Chinese military guided only by your assumptions. I don't read or speak Chinese and I know alot more. And yes thats the WS-10 engines about 4 regiments of J-11B is now using
Forget knowing about the Chinese military, these guys have trouble with knowing the current state of their own military. It's always this or that vaporware just around the corners in 2 or 3 years, always 2 to 3 years. I'm still waiting for that AK/FNC clone called the INSAS to finally work right so they don't have to import small arms (55+ years after China mastered the Type 56). If I was going to be shot at from 300 yards away, I hope and pray the shooter has an INSAS and not a Colt M16.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Forget knowing about the Chinese military, these guys have trouble with knowing the current state of their own military. It's always this or that vaporware just around the corners in 2 or 3 years, always 2 to 3 years. I'm still waiting for that AK/FNC clone called the INSAS to finally work right so they don't have to import small arms (55+ years after China mastered the Type 56). If I was going to be shot at from 300 yards away, I hope and pray the shooter has an INSAS and not a Colt M16.
Well, if informed Chinese like wong claim that the carrier will operate LCA, we know how serious they are about sharing information instead of trolling. Unlike Indians, they dont mention the problems faced by the carrier leaving us to do all the hard work. :((
keshavchandra
BRFite

Post by keshavchandra »

I just say one thing, never underestimate chinese, i have many of them in my office. Just have some past experience with them.
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

wong wrote: Forget knowing about the Chinese military, these guys have trouble with knowing the current state of their own military. It's always this or that vaporware just around the corners in 2 or 3 years, always 2 to 3 years. I'm still waiting for that AK/FNC clone called the INSAS to finally work right so they don't have to import small arms (55+ years after China mastered the Type 56). If I was going to be shot at from 300 yards away, I hope and pray the shooter has an INSAS and not a Colt M16.
type 56 is just a copy of ak47 while insas is based on ak47+fn/fal. additionally its a LMG and carbine too. no chinese brain is added in type 56.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

There is a mantra in the Rig Veda that says "Do not underestimate the Chinese". That is why it is necessary for every Indian to chant that to other Indians and remind each other of that ancient wisdom which would otherwise be forgotten in a minute, without that constant reminder
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

It is a powerful tool of hard diplomacy. It does not need to have a huge airwing attached. A powerful carrier with multiple frigates & destroyers can intimidate most nations. Since China does not have any disputes away from home, it will be used to maintain air supemacy in the near abroad.
Rubbish! That Chinese carrier is a sitting duck. And will be taken out by either air power or surface combatants with any decently armed adversary (like say even Vietnam, leave out Japan /Unkil etc).

The Chinese are 20 years away from atleast being able to deploy a half way capable carrier first. Small things like first being able to take off and land from the carrier could be a start ! The Chinese have ZERO experience with carriers. Forget about actually having used that in any war, even ust driving around in one is a totally new experience for them.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

wong wrote: Forget knowing about the Chinese military, these guys have trouble with knowing the current state of their own military. It's always this or that vaporware just around the corners in 2 or 3 years, always 2 to 3 years. I'm still waiting for that AK/FNC clone called the INSAS to finally work right so they don't have to import small arms (55+ years after China mastered the Type 56). If I was going to be shot at from 300 yards away, I hope and pray the shooter has an INSAS and not a Colt M16.
Wong please tone it down.....
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

vina wrote:
Rubbish! That Chinese carrier is a sitting duck. And will be taken out by either air power or surface combatants with any decently armed adversary (like say even Vietnam, leave out Japan /Unkil etc).

The Chinese are 20 years away from atleast being able to deploy a half way capable carrier first. Small things like first being able to take off and land from the carrier could be a start ! The Chinese have ZERO experience with carriers. Forget about actually having used that in any war, even ust driving around in one is a totally new experience for them.
You missed the point. It is not a tool of war. It is a tool of intimidation. Which is to say that the small fishing boat near your territorial water is backed not by n ships but n+1 ships. Even China is not going to use it in a real war. The best they can do is send fishing boats. Meanwhile, they continue to increase n to n+1, n+2, n+3... ships. It is a naval version of the famous PLA waves. Number, not quality is their goal. It is extremely useful for port visits & photo ops. The real intimdation was done by stopping pineapple imports from Phillipines :mrgreen:
member_23360
BRFite

Post by member_23360 »

+1 ^^^^^
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Nobody is underestimating them. They seem to be underestimating the amount of experience and hard work IN has put in Chakra/Arihant and nearly 50 years of carrier experience. The J-15 will be an evolutionary dead end like Su-33 and nothing than USN, IN or JMSDF or even SOKO can't handle with ease.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

why do you need to even estimate in the first place? under or over! it does not matter. just focus on the enemy signature points and kill it.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

This problem of estimation is going to increase as China increasingly looks to psy ops to portray its power. The revelation of J20 & J31 were purely timed to coincide with American visits. Even the Liaoning induction was timed with the Japan dispute. The Vikramaditya should have been inducted in 2011 itself if the criteria for induction is to move without an airwing. The delay is due to the proper process we carry out (Vikramaditya, LCA, Nag) prior to induction. The chinese method is to hire a few photographers and make the pics go viral.

We did not hear a squeak regarding the Indo Vietnamese strategic discussion ended a day ago. But if it was China meeting Afghanistan for dialogue, it caught the world's press attention. Jingos must know that we deliberately keep things under the radar and underestimate our capabilities. Hint: Range of Brahmos, Shaurya. The strategy of hide your claws & reveal it when needed is seemingly being undermined by the Chinese as they increasingly see themselves to be the second largest economy in the world.
keshavchandra
BRFite

Post by keshavchandra »

Bheeshma wrote:Nobody is underestimating them. They seem to be underestimating the amount of experience and hard work IN has put in Chakra/Arihant and nearly 50 years of carrier experience. The J-15 will be an evolutionary dead end like Su-33 and nothing than USN, IN or JMSDF or even SOKO can't handle with ease.
you are not getting my point. I was saying with a angle of our lackin in preparedness and action plans on our eastern side (like we face the same in 1999, the lack of coordination and preparedness, we had a tragic loss of 600 of our soldiers). BRO yet not have any 4 - 5 year plan for the north eastern border. I just had a trip up to utter kaashi border area, and still on the whole way the road was like the single lane on most of the places and the road condition was like you are on a off road trip.
so, my point is IA still need 2 3 weeks of time for any mass deployment on the border side, which is too high when we compare it with other side of the border.
Things are changing but we need a pase.