Indian Economy - News & Discussion 27 May 2012

Rishirishi
BRFite

Re: Indian Economy - News & Discussion 27 May 2012

Post by Rishirishi »

RamaY wrote:
Theo_Fidel wrote: Saab, I put it to you we know what is wrong with India. But to put it right folks like you and I will have to give up our privileges.
I don't know about you but I haven't had a single privilege in my life, while being born into the so-called upper caste. None of my close family got any privilege either.

I never blamed India or anyone for that. I was told it is fact of life and there is nothing wrong about it. I was told be happy that you have some food and have access to govt education. I was told to respect the institutions and do not blame others. That is what made me what I am.

The so-called lower castes are constantly bombarded with propaganda that they are undermined by the visible others. This made them not realize their potential. I have many friends who I tutored and begged to take Engg exams because they can get in to those govt. colleges which I can never dream of. Few of them put in the 1-2 hour hard world and reaped the benefits. Even then some of them kept on doing degree after degree to get into govt jobs because they thought they can make money beyond the stipulated salary.

Some of your posts are trying to continue this nonsense into future, as I understand them. It will not benefit them and not the nation.

I love Bharat and want it to be strong. That strength comes only when the downtrodden too become strong and prosperous. So I have a vested interest in them become self reliant and self confident.

Sir
I come from a relative wealthy Baniya background, hence no vested interest in the lower cast advocacy.

My first meeting with discrimination was when the manager of the Dharam shala slapped a kid for using the tap, becase he was from the work background. He was a servent there, while we were staying at the dharamshala. This was when I was about 8 years old. Needless to say, lower cast people do not have access to the better dharam shalas. They are denied admission, because people would not like their kids to go to schools with children from "lower casts".

The list of attrocities, ill treatment, discrimination is all to familiar to anyone who has lived in India. I think we all have to agree on the discrimination bit. We should not just ignore the problem.

The question is what to do? Because most of us probably disagree with such practices. I certainly believe that there should be a limited level of reservation in schools were government subsidy is involved. Also some reservation in lower level of government jobs would be fair. But it should not be be overdone. Further on initiatives towards community loan finance should be available (micro loans).
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

RamaY wrote:
Theo_Fidel wrote: Saab, I put it to you we know what is wrong with India. But to put it right folks like you and I will have to give up our privileges.
I don't know about you but I haven't had a single privilege in my life, while being born into the so-called upper caste. None of my close family got any privilege either.

I never blamed India or anyone for that. I was told it is fact of life and there is nothing wrong about it. I was told be happy that you have some food and have access to govt education. I was told to respect the institutions and do not blame others. That is what made me what I am.

The so-called lower castes are constantly bombarded with propaganda that they are undermined by the visible others. This made them not realize their potential. I have many friends who I tutored and begged to take Engg exams because they can get in to those govt. colleges which I can never dream of. Few of them put in the 1-2 hour hard world and reaped the benefits. Even then some of them kept on doing degree after degree to get into govt jobs because they thought they can make money beyond the stipulated salary.

Some of your posts are trying to continue this nonsense into future, as I understand them. It will not benefit them and not the nation.

I love Bharat and want it to be strong. That strength comes only when the downtrodden too become strong and prosperous. So I have a vested interest in them become self reliant and self confident.

Sir
I come from a relative wealthy Baniya background, hence no vested interest in the lower cast advocacy.

My first meeting with discrimination was when the manager of the Dharam shala slapped a kid for using the tap, becase he was from the wrong cast. He was a servent there, while we were staying at the dharamshala. This was when I was about 8 years old. Needless to say, lower cast people do not have access to the better dharam shalas.

They are denied admission to schools, because people would not like their kids to go to schools with children from "lower casts".

The list of attrocities, ill treatment, discrimination is all to familiar to anyone who has lived in India. I think we all have to agree on the discrimination bit. We should not just ignore the problem.

The question is what to do? Because most of us probably disagree with such practices. I certainly believe that there should be a limited level of reservation in schools were government subsidy is involved. Also some reservation in lower level of government jobs would be fair. But it should not be be overdone. Further on initiatives towards community loan finance should be available (micro loans).
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Arjun,
It appears you have now dropped your 70% claim without even a by your leave. Making dog food or hair cuts or selling flowers is not creating wealth. This is what SME's are good at.
Here's is what ASSOCHAM said back in 2009...
Small and medium enterprises (SME) are likely to account for 22 per cent of India's GDP, up from 17 per cent now, in the next three years on the back of technological upgrade, a study said.
Firstly, SMEs include some of the most high-tech firms that VCs invest in...so dog food, hair cuts and selling flowers is a very primitive and ignorant characterization of SMEs.

Secondly, the majority of US employment and US non-agricultural private GDP is accounted for by SMEs. This is pretty much the same across most developed countries.

Entrepreneurs are the fundamental backbone of any economy - and all economies including the US would kill to have a system that generates more and more high-quality entrepreneurs. As mentioned earlier - one of the most successful practices at each of the Top strategy consulting firms is one aimed at regional governments that advises on the measures to be taken so as to improve the quantity and quality of entrepreneurship in the region.

What Assocham said is also exactly what I say - directionally for the next several decades the SME % of GDP is going to keep climbing till it reaches developed world standards.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Theo_Fidel wrote: It is commendable that you want everyone to become self reliant and self confidant. So pray tell how you achieve that. How exactly does a sick 70 year old become self reliant or a frail 12 year old working on the streets.
I already detailed how I would bring self-reliance to all Indians without bringing caste or some perceived/real past injustices. The caste, creed have nothing to do with making India self-reliant. Bharat is self reliant and can progress without any of these west-aping social engineering projects.

Casteism and past injustices is the language of people who do exactly that against fellow Indians.

I am yet to see a comprehensive idea from you except wanting this and that and blaming him and him.

Why don't you post some idea without bringing caste discrimination complaint? If education, food security and health care can pull an individual from hundreds of year of past then why not do it without blaming others?
sugriva
BRFite
Location: Exposing the uber communist luddites masquerading as capitalists

Post by sugriva »

Arjun wrote:Firstly, SMEs include some of the most high-tech firms that VCs invest in...so dog food, hair cuts and selling flowers is a very primitive and ignorant characterization of SMEs.
You talking of US or India. In India, sorry to break your illusion but SME are nothing more than corner subsistence level kirana shops. More likely pan and cigarette sellers. Services, at which these SMEs are good at in India, will in no way lift millions out of poverty in India. What we do need are enterprises that create products and only the organized sector can bring in the resources, financial, technological, human resources to scale things and do that. SME's are what Shankaracharya would have termed as doing "dukram, dukram".
member_23677
BRFite

Post by member_23677 »

sugriva wrote:
Arjun wrote:Firstly, SMEs include some of the most high-tech firms that VCs invest in...so dog food, hair cuts and selling flowers is a very primitive and ignorant characterization of SMEs.
You talking of US or India. In India, sorry to break your illusion but SME are nothing more than corner subsistence level kirana shops. More likely pan and cigarette sellers. Services, at which these SMEs are good at in India, will in no way lift millions out of poverty in India. What we do need are enterprises that create products and only the organized sector can bring in the resources, financial, technological, human resources to scale things and do that. SME's are what Shankaracharya would have termed as doing "dukram, dukram".
So much stupidity in this line.... you might want to read this,SMEs are in no way Kirana shops that you boast of...
SME sector of India is considered as the backbone of economy contributing to 45% of the industrial output, 40% of India’s exports, employing 60 million people, create 1.3 million jobs every year and produce more than 8000 quality products for the Indian and international markets. With approximately 30 million SMEs in India, 12 million people expected to join the workforce in next 3 years and the sector growing at a rate of 8% per year, Government of India is taking different measures so as to increase their competitiveness in the international market.
There are several factors that have contributed towards the growth of Indian SMEs. Few of these include; funding of SMEs by local and foreign investors, the new technology that is used in the market is assisting SMEs add considerable value to their business, various trade directories and trade portals help facilitate trade between buyer and supplier and thus reducing the barrier to trade
With this huge potential, backed up by strong government support; Indian SMEs continue to post their growth stories. Despite of this strong growth, there is huge potential amongst Indian SMEs that still remains untapped. Once this untapped potential becomes the source for growth of these units, there would be no stopping to India posting a GDP higher than that of US and China and becoming the world’s economic powerhouse.
http://www.eisbc.org/Definition_of_Indian_SMEs.aspx

If you are making such claims as comparing SMEs to Kirana shops, atleast care to provide links,otherwise just don't say anything
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

sugriva wrote:You talking of US or India. In India, sorry to break your illusion but SME are nothing more than corner subsistence level kirana shops. More likely pan and cigarette sellers. Services, at which these SMEs are good at in India, will in no way lift millions out of poverty in India. What we do need are enterprises that create products and only the organized sector can bring in the resources, financial, technological, human resources to scale things and do that. SME's are what Shankaracharya would have termed as doing "dukram, dukram".
Sugriva- the Tatas, Birlas, Ambanis and practically all the Indian Top private sector names would have started as SMEs at some point. Every economy needs to have a continual supply of high quality entrepreneurs setting up SMEs. Very obviously out of 100 SMEs - 90 will remain small or fold up, 5 or 6 will grow to be medium sized firms and maybe 1 or 2 would really break out of the ranks. But, without steps to continue nurturing newer entrepreneurs - where are you going to get your next generation Ambanis and Birlas from?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

German companies excited by Indian reforms; 800 CEOs coming: Ambassador
http://india.nydailynews.com/business/1 ... z2Aez35zCj
ew Delhi, Oct 28 — India's decision to open its doors to foreign investment in multi-brand retail and other economic reform measures have created an attractive situation for foreign players, much like a "beauty contest", and German companies are keen on long-term strategic investments in India, the country's envoy has said.The decision to allow multi-brand retail and also to attract foreign investment in pensions and insurance "are attractive for companies, and create a good psychological effect on them to invest further," German Ambassador Michael Steiner told IANS.The opening up of the economy "has created a situation that is like a beauty contest.. It has led to a good investment climate.. This helps build investor trust and confidence," Steiner said.The upcoming Asia-Pacific Conference (APK) of German Business Nov 1-3 in Gurgaon will see 800 CEOs of German companies arriving in India, said Steiner.He said that German firms are looking for long-term strategic investment in India. German firms like Bosch and Siemens, which are household names in India, reinvest the money they earn. "German firms reinvest in India.. this is part of the long-term strategic approach, which is good for both," the envoy said."CEOs of firms like Siemens, Bosch and Volkswagen will discuss the prospective of economic engagement in Asia. And since it is being held in Gurgaon, it will be the perfect occasion to showcase India," he said, adding that senior German government officials would also be present.
The last APK was held in Singapore in 2010. "If it works, investment will be a huge boost," he added.
sugriva
BRFite

Post by sugriva »

Arjun wrote:....
No one is arguing with the need to create entrepreneurs. In fact that is a motherhood statement which no one can find fault with. The point of RVaidya's article was his celebrating caste based entrepreneurship networks as a cause of economic prosperity. Rather, I would contend that it is an effect of the warped economic priorities of this country. By definition a services business, including real estate is a small idea with scope of making only mediocre amounts of money. Caste based networks have so far not shown any proclivity in moving into product based, read big idea companies. By their very nature product based companies require different sets of resources and competencies something these networks do not have. It also implies that they will be part of the organized sector. There are then two choice. One move into product based businesses. This will imply that substantial parts of India's GDP will come from the organized sector thereby further diminishing the influence of the services business doing caste based networks. The other choice is to keep the status quo and be happy. However this is not a sustainable policy. You have to make something that the rest of the country/world needs. Our semiconductor imports (read mobiles, computers etc) today exceed our oil import bill. This will only worsen over time. Eventually everything of value will have to be imported as they are in Pakistan. So net, there is nothing worth celebrating in what RVaidya sings paens to in his article. I rest my case.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Sugriva wrote:By definition a services business, including real estate is a small idea with scope of making only mediocre amounts of money.
Su-grieve-aaaaaah.. Good grief! Which tree from Kishkinda did you swing down from.

Your statement has all the hallmarks of the grand all knowing commie Harrumph of the JNU/DSE/ISI/Planning Commission ding-dong kind.

Just google enough and you can see upteen articles from the Eminece Grises of the Indian commie "intellectual" class circa late 80s/early 90s about IT/Vity .

It can be summarized as follows
  • Bah.. Typists. Glorified clerks
    It cannot be anything tangible. It will not be anything big
Fast forward to circa 2000 and you have the following scenarios
  • Commies in Bengal on their knees begging IT/vity boys from Bangalore to open shop there.
    Bewilderent by uber JNU ding dongs like CP Chandrashekar " Never before in history has a services sector been able to pay for the oil import in full of the country" .. Right Sherlock!
If that doesn't disabuse you of the notion that services is "Business with little amount of money" .. Let me point out a few "services" business

Banking, Insurance.. or even subsectors like just investment banking, consulting, engineering services, you talked about Real Estate , heard of Jones Lang LaSalle or Cushman & Weikfield and just look up their revenue numbers. Why all the Big 4 have real estate advisories. Heard of Mortgage banking ? I am not talking about other "Services" firms like the white shoe law firms like Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft or the Silly Con valley based Wilson Sonsini Goodrach & Rosati and the top 50 of their cohort.

In fact, check out the GDP contribution of "services" in any advanced economy.

You really should come out of the Dinned into your head of commie mindset of "Investment by govt setting up industry which employs 4000000000 abduls who bash metal and who march under the hammer and sickles red banner and obeying commie apparatchicks like automatons" kind of rubbish. That is so 19th century /Soviet Russia. Come out of it and get some fresh air and a coffee.

Gone are the days when you could go on strike over idiocies like insisiting on NO KAMPOOTER, NO ATM and for EBERY ATM , you should hire two clerks and ATM only inside bank premises and available only during working hours (and bank working days...) :rotfl:

Lal Salaam.. Kamerade!
sugriva
BRFite

Post by sugriva »

^^^^
You saar, trained at the esteemed MSE, are an eggspurt at taking one statement out of context and ranting half a page on it. Where did I even imply that the state has to create the 100000000 jobs pumping metal? In fact where did I even talk about jobs? Also who is talking about banks or insurance? Neither me nor the other posters or Rvaidya. In any case most banks are part of the organized sector. So thanks for pointing that out to everyone here. I will also use your data to point out that it is beyond the capability of today's caste based networks, mainly doing services bijnezz, to create organizations of the calibre mentioned in your post. They are all part of the organized sector.

And as far as IT is concerned lets not get ahead of ourselves. There's only so far that labour arbitrage will get you. While I agree that we have come some way the limits of putting 100000000 abduls into the likes of TCS, Infy and Wipro to increase headcount, and thereby revenue, clearly has diminishing returns. What you said might have made sense say even 5 years ago but you are so out of date now. We have new challenges. I pointed out that semiconductor imports today exceed oil imports. What is your solution to that? Some more services dukram dukram? Lastly, the existence of a serious services business is predicated on the availability of a serious product development competency. An IBM sells its services on the back of serious hardware and product software that it has developed or acquired. The TCS and Infy's of the world can't even hold up a candle to the likes of IBM.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

sugriva wrote:^^^^
You saar, trained at the esteemed MSE, are an eggspurt at taking one statement out of context and ranting half a page on it.
Su-grieve-aaah.. What is the YumYessYEE ? Is that the place running out of Malcom Adisehsiah's bungalow in Adayar, Madras ? I have nothing to do with it. Okay, my inlaw's live a couple of houses away from it and I walk past the gates every day in the evenings while on my stroll when I am visiting them. But other than that, no connection at all.
Also who is talking about banks or insurance? Neither me nor the other posters or Rvaidya. In any case most banks are part of the organized sector. So thanks for pointing that out to everyone here. I will also use your data to point out that it is beyond the capability of today's caste based networks, mainly doing services bijnezz, to create organizations of the calibre mentioned in your post. They are all part of the organized sector.
Su-Grieve-AAH . Good Grief! You talked about services, I pointed out a lot of services (including real estate which you said was peanuts, I can also point out hair cutting for you if you want which I am sure you think is peanuts).

Ah.. Cashtee. Bayshed networks. Kwick. All the banks in Yindia today , especially the ones nationalized by Amma Indira Gandhi... Let us see.. (Canara, Syndicate, Vijaya, etc.. all Mangalore based Brahmin banks with a history of money lending).. (IOB, Indian Bank .Chettiar & Brahmin owned, again a history of money lendingin TN), (Uco, Union, PNB, BoB, etc. etc.. all set up by Marwari and other Banias, again a history of traditional NBFC kind of thing). So where is Vaiday wrong/galath/faulto i ask you ? He is right. The traditional caste based networks and occupations led them to grow into something sizeable. Now just because Amma Indira under the influence of Commie Ding-Dongs indulged in grab and smash, doesn't change the fact, does it ?
Suvgriva wrote:And as far as IT is concerned lets not get ahead of ourselves. There's only so far that labour arbitrage will get you. While I agree that we have come some way the limits of putting 100000000 abduls into the likes of TCS, Infy and Wipro to increase headcount, and thereby revenue, clearly has diminishing returns. What you said might have made sense say even 5 years ago but you are so out of date now.
Good Grief! Labor arbitrage went out of the wind circa early 2000s when every multinationa (IBM, AssEnter, everyone and their father in law) scaled in India and in cases have greater head count than the Indian boyz!

No one talks about cost arbitrage anymore . They talk only about capabilites and skills and stuff.
Sugriva wrote:We have new challenges. I pointed out that semiconductor imports today exceed oil imports. What is your solution to that? Some more services dukram dukram?

Why not ? In fact a lot of the semiconductor has our serivces input right from design and validation and testing! I dare say that we probably enjoy far higher margin in that in what the Taiwanese and Chines get from cranking out the chips in their factories for the 3rd parties!
Sugriva wrote:Lastly, the existence of a serious services business is predicated on the availability of a serious product development competency :rotfl: . An IBM sells its services on the back of serious hardware and product software that it has developed or acquired :lol: . The TCS and Infy's of the world can't even hold up a candle to the likes of IBM :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Gosh. Su-Grieve-Aah. Good Grief! You are beyond belief.

Don't go and say this to anyone . Industry folks will laugh at you. Product development "compentency" is the last thing any customer wants to hear when you go in for an IT services bid. As a person who has been on both sides (both an ex-IBM employee and also a stragetic partner to IBM software), I can absoltuely tell you that the LAST THING IBM Software guys even talk about is their Global Services cousins. They always will insist that they have a "Chinese Wall" with them and they give you the exact terms as their Global Services folks. They cant have it any other way. The moment they start doing anything else, they will quickly lose all their service partners and customers to competitors. No, reality is lot more complex. Yes, IBM and everyone else (atleast on paper and mostly in reality) do not sell services because of better terms from their software side. (every product vendor has a services arm)

The TCS and Infys of the world have been kicking the bottoms of the IBM and the Big4 so hard for the past 30 years or so, that the multinationals couldn't take it anymore and came running to India. So for the IT/Vity boys , you credit them with all the multinational jobs that came into India in that sector, in addition to what they created by themselves. In fact, even to this day, they are growing FAR FAR faster than the multinationals and are lot more profitable! Go figure.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Sugriva,

1. Like Vina has brought up, in many ways Services is THE future. So your statement about Services businesses having 'small scope' is completely out of touch with reality
2. Why do you say that caste-based Services businesses cannot scale up ? Global trading and cutting of rough diamonds ( a service business) is largely controlled by Palanpuri Jains. Do you have any idea how large the industry is ?
3. What is the basis of your contention that caste-based 'social capital' cannot be put to work for Products or for 'organized industry' ? Are you characterizing Tirupur as a Services hub or Products hub? It probably has more than 25 firms which are larger than 100 Cr in revenues - and are very obviously highly corporatized. Do you believe these firms are part of the 'unorganized sector' by any chance?

Lastly, it seems to me that you and Theo are blindly jumping on the word 'caste' and have made no attempt to understand what is being said out here. Anyway this is a competitive world...those communities that try and derive learnings from the success of other entreprenurial communities will become wealthier - and those with superior attitudes that there is nothing at all to learn from other communities will slide down in relative wealth.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Arjun wrote:3. What is the basis of your contention that caste-based 'social capital' cannot be put to work for Products or for 'organized industry' ?
Because, Banias, Nadars, Brahmins,Naidus, Gounders etc setting up piss-ness or social networks is Kashtu Bayshed. But Jooos, WASPS, German, Eyetalians etc setting up piss-ness (Sona Admi etc) is not Kaashtu Bayshed. Iph Gora does it it is called "Social Networks and Social Capital" , if Indoos do it is called "Kaashtu"
sugriva
BRFite

Post by sugriva »

Vina wrote:Ah.. Cashtee. Bayshed networks.
Punjab National Bank was founded by Swadeshis of various persuasions and regions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab_Nat ... nk#History. Union Bank was the merger of 4 Bengali banks none of them caste based. So I caught your lies on atleast two banks. But that is par for the course for MSE alumni. I am doubtful about your assertion of the caste based origins of all the other banks besides Canara and Vijaya. BTW even if for argument's sake we accept that these were caste based organizations why is it that we don't see a Canara Bank Version II or a Vijaya Bank Version II from these same communities. It not that they haven't tried. ING Vysya bank does come to mind, but where does it stand in competition to the HDFC's and ICICI's of the world. Also ING Vysya is partly foreign owned. So much for the mettle of caste based networks.
Vina wrote:They talk only about capabilites and skills and stuf
Yes, they talk about capabilities and skills. But there is a difference in the capabilities of an IBM and that of a TCS/Infy. You of course are aware of which IT services provider handles the IT work of ALL the mobile vendors in this country, do you not? You also know that said vendor was awarded the contract on the basis of the capabilities and skills of said vendor, do you not?
Vina wrote: I dare say that we probably enjoy far higher margin in that in what the Taiwanese and Chines get from cranking out the chips in their factories for the 3rd parties!
Please point out which Indian firms are engaged in these activities. And do bother to provide some references. Lets see if we can learn something from the MSE folks.

Lastly find point out the exact sentence where I said real-estate brings in peanuts. All I said and you can repeat after me, is that services business, including real estate is a small idea with scope of making only mediocre amounts of money.
subhamoy.das
BRFite

Post by subhamoy.das »

Arjun wrote:
This is truly original and insightful research ! Congratulations to Prof Vaidyanathan for articulating this important perspective on the caste issue.
We know that JEWS are supposed to be good at defense electronics, Germans are supposed to be good at machines and Japanese are supposed to be good at consumer electronics, Chinese are supposed to good at cloning etc etc. In similar lines HINDU brahmins are supposed to be good in knowledge industry, HINDU shurdras are supposed to be good at labor intensive work etc. The problem starts when you start using CASTE or blood line to block people from doing what they are INTRINSICALLY good at. For example if a brahmin boy has the quality to be a good merchant then he is not allowed to do this and we loose a efficient merchant. A shudra boy who is good at knowledge is not allowed to do so and we loose some key innovation. Actual HINDU system did not encourage this. Anybody could be a BRAHMIM if he has the quality to be so. Any body could be a WARRIOR if he had the quality. So it was a MERIT and IN-BORNE quality based system which reaped rich economic dividend ( innovation and efficiency ) because - Like US or western system of today - a person got to do what he or she was good at and they excelled in it. As time went on - people converted this to a birth based or DYNASTY based system - to make sure that there is no completion and they can easily hold on to their power and richness. So a CASTE or blood line based system pays good economic dividend as long as it allows free CROSS CASTE migration of workers. There is saying in HINDU system - actually quoted by Baba Ram Dev in one of his yatras - that focus on the personality ( quality ) and not the person( CASTE in which he was born ).

I still remember a event from my school days in KV IIT, Delhi. We, in our school soccer team , were all excited when a GERMAN boy joined our school because we thought that - being a GERMAN blood line - he would be good at soccer. First we tried him in attacking position, then in defending position and then finally as a goal keeper. In match after match he could not perform and finally we realized that all GERMAN(s) were not born to be good foot ball player.
Last edited by subhamoy.das on 29 Oct 2012 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

sugriva wrote: Punjab National Bank was founded by Swadeshis of various persuasions and regions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab_Nat ... nk#History. Union Bank was the merger of 4 Bengali banks none of them caste based. So I caught your lies on atleast two banks. But that is par for the course for MSE alumni.
Ah, I see. If you are "Swadeshi" it is not Kaashtu ! Nice huh? A bunch of Banias and Parsis and a Sikh Bania in Punjab set up a bank (all traditional business communities), and no "Social Network/ Capital aka Kaashtu" used here ?
Union Bank was set up in Bombay (per Wiki HQ inaugurated by Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi (no less).. ), set up by Banias, inaugurated by a Bania and Swadeshi, but no Kaasthu/Social Network and capital huh ?

BoB is the classic Gujju bania bank that follows the Gujarati diaspora to everycorner of the world. No kaashtu/kommunity network and capital here huh ?
I am doubtful about your assertion of the caste based origins of all the other banks besides Canara and Vijaya.
Why doubt jee. Look up yourself. All names like Pai, Kudva, Kamath, Iyer, Chettiar onree for the Mangalore based banks and IOB and Indian Bank onree.
BTW even if for argument's sake we accept that these were caste based organizations why is it that we don't see a Canara Bank Version II or a Vijaya Bank Version II from these same communities. It not that they haven't tried. ING Vysya bank does come to mind, but where does it stand in competition to the HDFC's and ICICI's of the world
Well, Hasmukhbai Parekh (HDFC) sound very very bania to me. Also, if you dont know, look up Karnataka Bank, Saraswat Bank, and other banks like Federal Bank, South India Bank, Catholic Syrian etc (the latter 3 are Kerala based banks, all linking deeply into specific for regional /ethnic/caste groupings for deposits and business.)
Yes, they talk about capabilities and skills. But there is a difference in the capabilities of an IBM and that of a TCS/Infy.
If you are talking of the services business, you would be surprised how little is the difference. You are confused with the other parts of IBM business (hardware, software , semiconductor,etc)
Sugriva wrote:You of course are aware of which IT services provider handles the IT work of ALL the mobile vendors in this country, do you not? You also know that said vendor was awarded the contract on the basis of the capabilities and skills of said vendor, do you not?
If "all" means Airtel and Vodafone and deals in the earlier part of the previous decade, yes. Couple of reasons. The Indian guys were not focused on the Indian market at all and second, yes IBM did have a capability gap in it's favor (not tech, but large program mgmt and data center outsourcing and management.. see, it is things like that and not ability to develop a product that makes the diff). But look at the more recent deals that happened in the past 5 years and look at the record!
quote wrote:Please point out which Indian firms are engaged in these activities. And do bother to provide some references. Lets see if we can learn something from the MSE folks.
Why, just the TCS/ Tata Elxsi, Wipro, HCL Tech, Infy guys have product engineering services groups ($1b,$1b, $700m) revenues for each of the first three I estimate from all kinds of product engg for everything from telecom to semiconductor to all kinds of stuff you can think of. Just go to the websites of those companies and download a capability ppt or something or just google around you can find some from some of their customer visits/calls. Not rocket science there.
Lastly find point out the exact sentence where I said real-estate brings in peanuts. All I said and you can repeat after me, is that services business, including real estate is a small idea with scope of making only mediocre amounts of money.
Disastrously wrong. I had pointed out to you that services is the largest precentage of GDP for most advanced economies.

And don't tell real estate is a "small idea with scope of making only mediocre amount of money" to any politico or a realtor or a extortionist or thug or similar. They all know how much money there is and most of the gang wars and murders you see in news paper reports have a real estate connection in some form of the other.

If it was "mediocre" amounts of money, those guys would rather be raising chickens or stitching garments one of the factories here.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

subhamoy.das wrote:The problem starts when you start using CASTE or blood line to block people from doing what they are INTRINSICALLY good at.
The intent is to foster social capital in all castes / communities - so that no community feels left out of the economic sweepstakes. In fact, I see the benefits of this accruing more to traditionally economically backward castes - than to those that are already 'forward'.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Arjun,

This is simply not how 'community' based systems work. As I have said before the only reason for their existence is to defend the turf against all other communities. Since most of the 'professions' are already occupied where does the destitute class go. Essentially to the streets. This is why there are still 4 Million night soil 'entrepreneurs' in India. And 2.5 million cremation ghat 'entrepreneurs' in India. There is literally no where else for them to go as decided by rest of society.

For instance in my area of S.TN, a particularly small group of folks are the grain traders. No one else can enter this profession. They will simply not trade with, work with you and will actively work to destroy your goods. Last year one of the other traders in the area tried to send some of his shipments through the area. They confiscated his matador and burnt all the grain he was shipping. So now the other trader has to ship his product 30 km around the town.

Community based entrepreneurs are no different from the Mafia.

This sort of community based nonsense has to end. There is no community good at this or that profession. This is garbage. Even the Jews in USA have merged into society and are present in ALL the jobs available.

In a better society workers will reflect the general split of society. Since in my area Parriyans are 80% of the population, 80% of lawyers, Bankers, traders, musicians, artists, teachers, etc should be Parriyans. This is simply not the case and it is kept that way by the celebrated 'caste' entrepreneurs, through violence, intimidation and coercion.

Now we may never get to this ideal system but at least the barriers to entry must be destroyed. I would settle for 20% of practicing lawyers being Parriyans. Right now it is zero.
Last edited by Theo_Fidel on 29 Oct 2012 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

If the original caste system was fluid enough for anyone to enter any profession, so that a father could be a priest and the son could be a businessman -- what was the reason to have a caste system at all - Brahmin, Kshatriya etc? Why not simply call occupations by their own names -- doctors or traders or priests -- and leave it at that?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^

Even modern businesses have entry barriers. Pick a business and I can sight what barriers one have to cross before becoming successful. Depending on the business the entry barriers could be small or large. It is business 101.

What we need is
(1) access to proper education (not the secular dhimmi education but proper vocational and professional education)
(2) strict rule of law
(3) Business conducive policies
(4) access to capital.

What the christian missionaries have done in certain places of India is to provide requirements 1, 4 in return for religious conversion and organize a new mafia based on religion (as we see in parts of AP, TN and Kerala) - as a substitute to requirement 2. After a century or two these will be new business castes to be contend with. There is nothing innovative about this, as we have seen this in previous Buddhist, Islamic and colonization eras.

The biggest contribution of our Secular Socialist constitution is that it first destroyed the governance structures (by not putting enough provisions to check-out vote-bank politics and inefficient governance) and allowed new mafias to grow under the non-Indic religious structures.

Blaming on Caste will not solve the problem, not now nor in future. It is the most idiotic way to address such a simple economic and rule-of-law issue. The best way to solve Caste problem is to ignore it and provide a completely universal entry criteria. I cannot help if people claim that the NBJPRE is filled with upper-castes, so we are back to square one.

It is interesting to note that the seers that want to see a caste-free society are the ones who bring caste in each and every post irrespective of the issue. I hope moderators are taking note of this.
Last edited by RamaY on 29 Oct 2012 20:12, edited 4 times in total.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Abhijeet wrote:If the original caste system was fluid enough for anyone to enter any profession, so that a father could be a priest and the son could be a businessman -- what was the reason to have a caste system at all - Brahmin, Kshatriya etc? Why not simply call occupations by their own names -- doctors or traders or priests -- and leave it at that?
When you have a group of Doctors and Traders and Priests and sometimes a son/daughter also chooses to practice the same profession as the father (happens often and especially when you have more than one child) and it repeats for say 100-200 generations you have new Varna structure (Varna system will always be there).

Every nation (no matter what its ideology is - Islamic, Christian, Secular, Communist or Hindu) will have its working class population structured into four (not three or five) groups - Intellectuals, Governance administration & military, Businessmen/traders and employee class. The employees fall into three groups (Organized, unorganized and exploited).

For example the exploited employees are the one who do not even get the minimum wage because they might not have entered the country legally.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

some musalman businessmen as far deep as assam have been able to get funding from gulf based interests and become very successful, and soon rose to political power. a good example of religious based funding translating into a economic caste.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Apparel exports may miss target of $ 18 billion this year: AEPC
"The target of $18 billion for the 2012-13 fiscal may not be achieved given the current slowdown in the western markets," as per Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) Chairman. Exports may end the fiscal at about $ 16.5 billion.
During April-August this year, apparel exports declined by 12.16 per cent to $ 5.26 billion. The drop in apparel exports is in line with decline in overall exports which registered a fall of 6.79 per cent to $ 143.6 billion in April-September period. Exporters are hardly getting orders ahead of Christmas and New Year season. The US and Europe together account for over 65 per cent of the country's total apparel exports.
During 2011-12, apparel exports grew about 18 per cent year-on-year to about $ 14 billion. To reduce dependence on western markets, exporters are marketing their products by participating in trade exhibitions and holding road shows in new markets like Latin America, Japan, Israel, Russia and South Africa.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Theo_Fidel wrote:This sort of community based nonsense has to end. There is no community good at this or that profession. This is garbage.
Completely agree with you on this point. Associating communities with 'intrinsic' talents is something I don't buy myself...But a lot of success does boil down to networking, mentoring & having the right 'attitude'. Unfortunately, the reality is that not all communities in India are at the same level on these attributes. So how are you going to even things out ?

In the US, when gender difference in success was studied deeply - the results were the same, that women in the corporate world lacked networking and mentoring support. As a result today you have a number of initiatives that specifically target women and providing platforms specifically for this purpose. At the very minimum it would be useful for Dalits and other disadvantaged communities to develop networking and other support platforms to compete economically on a more even basis. End of day, this could be far more revolutionary than cliched 'reservations' for their advancement.
sugriva
BRFite

Post by sugriva »

Why doubt jee. Look up yourself. All names like Pai, Kudva, Kamath, Iyer, Chettiar onree for the Mangalore based banks and IOB and Indian Bank onree.
Dude, if any body with surname Gupta starts a bank then does it get to be called a Bania bank? By that token this is a Bania country since Mahatma Gandhi is the father of the nation and he was a Bania. Please don't make a laughing stock of yourself with your nonsensical arguments.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Arjun wrote: In the US, when gender difference in success was studied deeply - the results were the same, that women in the corporate world lacked networking and mentoring support. As a result today you have a number of initiatives that specifically target women and providing platforms specifically for this purpose. At the very minimum it would be useful for Dalits and other disadvantaged communities to develop networking and other support platforms to compete economically on a more even basis. End of day, this could be far more revolutionary than cliched 'reservations' for their advancement.
This is the value proposition the Christian/Muslim/Secular NGOs are offering to down-trodden Bharatiyas in return for religious conversions. When Rajiv Malhotra talks about Hindu support groups, this is what he is talking about and not a Hindu church.

I hope Rangde.org is not into conversion, as I contribute to this, but it is such an initiative. It is connecting (as in Networking) the socially conscious donors with the capital required parties.

This is one good project for RSS to pursue as a nationalist organization. Add vocational training (ITI colleges?) with per-Diem and some basic socio-political history lessons, provide access to cheap capital (Rangde gives the donor 6% interest (dont know how much it charges - RSS can fix this at 6%).
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Tackling the Myth of Indian Inefficiency (Sort Of)
http://business.time.com/2012/10/29/tac ... z2AjVITFFJ
couple of weeks ago, I tried to convince the world that China isn’t as efficient as many believe. Now I’m about to take on an even more daunting challenge — making the case that India isn’t quite as inefficient as most people insist.Many of you reading right now are probably having a good laugh. How can India, with its cow-lined roadways and infamously entrenched bureaucracy, even come close to the slick, high-speed railways and directed policymaking of China? Those same people who praise the modern transport and quick decisionmaking of China often go on to criticize India for its miserable infrastructure and plodding reform efforts. India’s fractious democratic political system, the critique goes, compares poorly with China’s more clinical authoritarian regime when it comes to implementing tough economic policies and building necessary roads and airports.
I was recently in the New Delhi airport for the first time in three years, and I discovered that the old international terminal, in which I have spent far too many bleary-eyed hours in the middle of the night waiting in interminable lines, has been replaced with a spiffy new one that is every bit as efficient as anything in China. (Just try to ignore the vomit-colored carpeting.) The top policymakers at the national level clearly realize the need to slice through the red tape blocking other projects.
That means reforming the government to make it more responsive to the needs of businesspeople and effective in implementing new policies; further improving infrastructure to bring down the costs of doing business; and much deeper deregulation. Such steps would allow the real strength of India to drive growth higher — the nation’s stellar private businesses. If there is one area in which India is no doubt more efficient than China, it is the corporate sector. Historically, Indian companies are better managed and more profitable than China’s.
If India does become more and more efficient, the potential is enormous. Citigroup economists predicted in a report last year that India, not China, could be the world’s biggest economy by 2050. So instead of complaining about India, maybe businesspeople should bet on its (more efficient) future
member_23677
BRFite

Post by member_23677 »

Jhujar wrote:Tackling the Myth of Indian Inefficiency (Sort Of)
http://business.time.com/2012/10/29/tac ... z2AjVITFFJ
couple of weeks ago, I tried to convince the world that China isn’t as efficient as many believe. Now I’m about to take on an even more daunting challenge — making the If India does become more and more efficient, the potential is enormous. Citigroup economists predicted in a report last year that India, not China, could be the world’s biggest economy by 2050. So instead of complaining about India, maybe businesspeople should bet on its (more efficient) future
Building on what Jhujarji said, this is a pic postedon SSCI on the upcoming Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai (छत्रपति शिवाजी इंटरनेशनल एअरपोर्ट )

Renders:

I am waiting for this, it's gonna be beautiful :D
Last edited by member_23677 on 30 Oct 2012 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

sugriva wrote:Dude, if any body with surname Gupta starts a bank then does it get to be called a Bania bank? By that token this is a Bania country since Mahatma Gandhi is the father of the nation and he was a Bania. Please don't make a laughing stock of yourself with your nonsensical arguments.
Su-Grieve-AAAAH. Good Grief! It may not be called the "Bania Bank" or even consciously so, but the loans it gives to the small business around it, the traders it supports, the small industries around it will be what ? Whom will he lend to? The guys he knows on a first name basis, knows the ins and outs of their business and their financial soundness or some random guy who walks in through his door asking for a loan? Isn't that the classic definition of a Social Network ? Why are most startups are via folks who met at school/classmates or at work or neighborhood pals or all of the those ?

I was just trying to Ejjumacate you and knock some of that Dilli JNU ding dong giri out of you.

This can be a very apt article for what you have in mind.

Why San Francisco Beat Detriot
Why San Francisco Beat Detroit
By Edward Glaeser - Oct 29, 2012

Couldn’t the San Francisco Giants, representatives of the second-wealthiest U.S. metropolitan area, manage to lose at least one World Series game to the Detroit Tigers, the standard-bearers for one of the most troubled U.S. urban areas?

The ever-magnanimous New York Yankees generously boosted the Motor City’s morale by giving the Tigers a clean sweep in the American League Championship Series, but the Giants crushed their opponents. Perhaps the Giants felt compelled to send the country, and our presidential candidates, a clear reminder that their home city, and not Detroit, provides a clear model for America’s economic future.

Yet their victory should also remind us that the San Francisco model is not always kind to less-skilled Americans.

As recently as the early 1970s, San Francisco and Detroit seemed to be on a similar trajectory. The San Francisco area’s per capita income was 31 percent higher than the U.S. average in the 1970 census; incomes in Detroit were also a healthy 18 percent above the nation. Their central cities had both been declining from 1950 to 1970, like most older U.S. urban areas. Murder rates were already quite high in Detroit, but San Francisco was filled with fear of the Zodiac Killer, who provided the model for Dirty Harry’s first antagonist.
Income Disparity

Today, the two areas couldn’t seem more different. In 2010 (the latest year available), per capita income was $59,295 in the San Francisco area, which was wealthier than any metropolitan area except for Bridgeport, Connecticut (including Greenwich and Stamford). It was $38,197 in the Detroit area. The mean household income in the city of San Francisco in 2011 was more than $100,000; the comparable number for the city of Detroit was $35,709. The unemployment rate in greater San Francisco is 8.2 percent; the unemployment rate in greater Detroit is 10.9 percent. San Francisco had about six murders per 100,000 people in 2011, while Detroit had more than 48 murders per 100,000.

Those remarkable economic and social differences help explain the different population paths of the two cities since 1970. Detroit’s population declined by 37 percent from 1970 to 2000, and fell by an additional 25 percent from 2000 to 2010. San Francisco’s population actually rose by more than 12 percent from 1970 to 2010. In 1950, Detroit’s population of 1.85 million was 139 percent higher than San Francisco’s population, but today San Francisco is the more populous city, despite Detroit’s having more than twice as much land.

Detroit’s decline was rooted in its spectacular 20th century rise. Like San Francisco, Detroit rose as a port -- the city is named for straits that ultimately connect Lake Huron (via Lake St. Claire) and Lake Erie. Companies, such as Detroit Dry Dock, formed on those straits to sell to the vast flows of American waterborne commerce. Those companies provided training for talented farm boys, such as Henry Ford, who ultimately became one of Detroit’s great automobile entrepreneurs -- a cluster comparable in every way to the nexus of talent that gathered in Silicon Valley 70 years later.

The talented men -- Charles Kirby, the Dodge Brothers, the Fisher Brothers, Ransom E. Olds (in Lansing), Billy Durant (in Flint) -- competed and cooperated and collectively created the mass-produced automobile.

Ford’s big idea was mass production with automated assembly lines, and this innovation both made Detroit marvelously productive and blessed ordinary Americans with wonderfully affordable Model T’s. Ford paid $5 a day, bringing remarkable prosperity to ordinary Americans, something that San Francisco’s Silicon Valley has so far failed to achieve.
Isolated Factories

But vast factories, such as Ford’s River Rouge, are kingdoms unto themselves. They don’t need the cities that surround them, and when economic conditions change, factories are relocated to lower-cost areas, such as the right-to-work states of the South and the developing world.

San Francisco’s manufacturing base, including its once- mighty shipyard at Hunter’s Point, also declined after World War II. But the city, unlike Detroit, was able to rebuild itself, because it had skills and entrepreneurship.

Detroit in its heyday was marvelously productive, but it was never education-intensive. In 1950, only 5 percent of the Detroit area’s adults had college degrees and that number had only increased to 9 percent by 1970. Wages were so good in the factories, why would anyone waste time in college? Nine percent of the San Francisco area’s adults had college degrees in 1950, and that number had doubled by 1970.

From 1940 to 2000, those places that started with slightly more education typically experienced far faster growth in human capital. By 2000, 44 percent of greater San Francisco had a bachelor’s degree, as opposed to 23 percent of adults in greater Detroit.

Informal skills, learned on the job and at the breakfast table, such as the talent and inclination to be an entrepreneur can be even more important for urban success. Detroit taught plenty of informal skills, especially around the assembly line, but its big companies didn’t inculcate entrepreneurship.

The middle managers of General Motors may have been superb cogs in a corporate machine, but they were not trained to start an electronic greeting company if things went wrong for GM. San Francisco had fewer dominant companies and consequently more entrepreneurs per capita. Entrepreneurs, such as Donald Fisher, who founded San Francisco’s the Gap, always play an outsize role in urban rebirth.

Skills enabled San Francisco to specialize in creating ideas, while Detroit remained a center of goods production. Measures of skill, such as the share of the population with a college degree, do a good job explaining the relative success of U.S. cities. Measures of entrepreneurship, such as having a lot of small companies, also predict employment growth.
Weather Matters

Globalization has been kind to idea-intensive workers, who can now capitalize on their insights by selling and producing across the world, but it has been murder on good U.S. producers who face cutthroat competition from overseas. San Francisco also has better weather, and temperature in January is yet another predictor of urban success.

President Barack Obama points to assembly lines as a symbol of his success in rebuilding America, but Detroit doesn’t seem like an urban success story to me. In 2011, 37 percent of Detroit residents older than 16 were employed, as opposed to 63 percent of San Francisco’s adults. It is easy to imagine that San Francisco’s corporate heroes, such Apple Inc. and Google Inc. and Twitter Inc., will lead the world in the 21st century. It is far harder to imagine any similar success for General Motors, despite the bailout.

San Francisco’s success symbolizes the extraordinary importance of education and innovation, which are the ultimate creators of urban and national success. Detroit’s failure reminds us that American manufacturing faces the tremendous challenge of competing with lower-wage areas.

Yet I understand President Obama’s fondness for assembly lines: Those assembly lines provided an enormous number of decent jobs for ordinary Americans. Henry Ford provided employment for hundreds of thousands of less-skilled Americans. Apple’s success has brought wealth to thousands of skilled Americans, but manufacturing predominantly occurs offshore. A more prosperous future for all Americans must combine the innovation of Silicon Valley with the inclusiveness of Detroit.

I hope that the next generation of U.S. entrepreneurs will figure out opportunities for the millions of less-skilled Americans. Every unemployed person is ultimately a failure of entrepreneurial imagination. Until that happens, we must invest more in educating the less fortunate, and hope that a bit of Detroit’s ability to employ the less skilled rubs off on San Francisco, and a bit of San Francisco’s economic energy rubs off on Detroit.

(Edward Glaeser, an economics professor at Harvard University, is a Bloomberg View columnist. He is the author of “Triumph of the City.” The opinions expressed are his own.)
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

vina wrote: I was just trying to Ejjumacate you and knock some of that Dilli JNU ding dong giri out of you.

This can be a very apt article for what you have in mind.

Why San Francisco Beat Detriot
I am all for knocking out dilli jnu giri., however to add to the above:

Part of the failure at detroit was complete arrogance by the big three - I remember the EV1 debacle, when GM actually took the EV1 and crushed them while Toyota was quitely working on improving the technology and came up with innovations like the hybrid synergy drive. So the question should be why entreprenaurs succeed in SF and the larger silicon valley and places like detroit fail and have to rely on government subsidy?

The above article does not address that.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the first pic is the extention work on bial not mumbai. The work is going quite fast.

Mumbai airport expansion and new navi mumbai airport seems to be a victim of politics and jairam ramesh type herrows.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Abhijeet wrote:If the original caste system was fluid enough for anyone to enter any profession, so that a father could be a priest and the son could be a businessman -- what was the reason to have a caste system at all - Brahmin, Kshatriya etc? Why not simply call occupations by their own names -- doctors or traders or priests -- and leave it at that?
Abhijeet saar, just giving you an anecdote that got me into trouble. My ex-colleague was going ga-ga about how her daughter is dating a whiz bang PeeHDee holder directing some product or project in maybe Google (and this was when the google had just IPO'ed). And then photos were being passed around. Somehow the talk turned to caste system and when I chimed in - would the mom approve if the daughter picks up a latino sanitary inspector for a date? Of course it was met with a stony silence and a stare (and later impacted my bonus etc)...

The point to the whole long winded story is simple - the Amerikahn system you so admire is only 100 or say 200 years old and already there is a class warfare happening. Just give it more time. Britishers were entrenched in class system and it was far more stifling than the caste system!

So a caste system is an evolutionary status quo for all societies till a new change arrives.
member_23677
BRFite

Post by member_23677 »

Singha wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the first pic is the extention work on bial not mumbai. The work is going quite fast.

Mumbai airport expansion and new navi mumbai airport seems to be a victim of politics and jairam ramesh type herrows.
:oops: removed
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

deleted
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Theo_Fidel wrote:This is simply not how 'community' based systems work. As I have said before the only reason for their existence is to defend the turf against all other communities.
I would recommend Micheal Porter's seminal work "Competitive Advantage - Creating and sustaining superior performance" for everyone, especially Sugriva, which will address a lot of the idiocies the JNU ding dongs did historically in India and imposed on this country in the name of planning.

There is a reason why clusters evolve, the reason why they sustain competitive advantage, sustain it and survive. Now "defending" the turf against all other communties/competitors is not done by muscle power like your rice traders, ( that is just some small time thuggery and a classic example of the baneful backward caste dravidian politics), but rather more deeper reasons. There are very sound reasons for that and JNU/Planning Commission ding-dong giri is like trying to fight the law of gravity by trying to levitate by f*rt. Will fail in the long run with disastrous consequnces for everyone. Historically that is why each place in every civilization of consequnce had specialization.. Jewellers, Potters, Weavers, etc. etc.. Every city in the ancient world, from Madurai to Madrid, Delhi to Damascus had those quarters/clusters.

Whether you call it the "artisanal guilds" like in Chi-Chi Medieval Oierope or Caste in India is a matter of choice.
Since most of the 'professions' are already occupied where does the destitute class go. Essentially to the streets.
Obviously what happened in the Indian context (for historical reasons, largely because we missed the industrial revolution due to a backward looking and medieval Mughal and the islamic invasions before that), we had a large modernity deficit, and the change from a fuedal to capitalist order and the changes didn't happen.

Now if the traditional strong European Artisanal guilds (in the low countries and in Germanic countries) evolved into to world beating and formidable "Mittelstands" or the industrial cluster in N. Italy (why are all the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis concentrated in just on small mountainous province in N.Italy called Modena? ..it is said that all the Italian sports cars speak not Italian, but Modnese dialect)

In the lack of that kind of productivity leap and the stagnation due to lack of industrial revolution, I guess those caste structures hardened and ossified. It is obivously no one's case that the traditional caste based barriers and discrimination and the basically anti-human and excesses should continue or even if the caste structures in any form at all should continue. The entry into professions should be open, opportunity available to anyone interested in taking it up and of course based solely on merit. Obviously that means, modern schooling, modern industrial training and education , internships and access to the stuff life finance etc.
Theo Fidel wrote:This is why there are still 4 Million night soil 'entrepreneurs' in India. And 2.5 million cremation ghat 'entrepreneurs' in India. There is literally no where else for them to go as decided by rest of society.
The trouble with the "Social Engg" / "Emancipation" rubbish of the Dravidian parties/ Dalit parties/ and even the commie JNU ding dong kind is that they want "Social Emancipation" , but not ECONOMIC emancipation.

Allow technology and modern business practices into it, and allow garbage collection to be mechanized and automated like in any civilized country with mandatory garbage segregation and recycling, you will have "Garbage Entreprenuers" from every caste, vying to get into the business . But no, you want to continue employing 4000000000 abduls, by calling them "Scheduled Caste" , give they "Govt Jobs" and make them collect garbage manually by with some practices little changed since the pyramids (okay, the rickety municpal garbage lorry substitued for the donkey of old, but still the workers, standing on the garbage, shoveling it in, garbage discared by households and business on the streets, with stray dogs and flies and stinking to high heaven). Will it happen. No way in hell. Look at the garbage mess in Bangalore currently.

Been to Yeshwantpur wholsale veggie market or the one in Madiwala, the stinking rotting mass of discards and the slush would make you gag. Why persist with it ? Why not get rid of it? Because it is a politico-corporator- patronage network and they run a protection racket out of it.

The trouble is you cant have the low productivity traditional 'occupation' and claim 'social emancipation' . Cant happen. You need a clean break with it and modernize. You aren't willing to do it, you want the 'advantage' of the traditional stuff (with govt protection via NBJPrie as a bonus), and to square the circle, handle out patronizing rubbish such as "Dignity of Labor" . There is no diginity in being a "Night Soil Collector" of the old inhuman days, but there is incredible dignity in running an automated garbage collection and recycling system. You might not go near a traditional hide skinner/leather worker in the old days, but today probably a lot of "upper caste" people might have shoe and leather apparel factories and businesses and dine in 5 star hotels!
Even the Jews in USA have merged into society and are present in ALL the jobs available.
How many Farmer Jews have you seen in the US ? I have seen none. But even a small town in America probably had a Jewish grocer! Still, how many jews are present in the occupations that were open to the historically (trading, artisanal etc) in Europe vs those barred to them (land related, farming and govt) . The the industrial revolution and forces of history move the economic needle towards them and away from land and govt is a different story.

In a better society workers will reflect the general split of society. Since in my area Parriyans are 80% of the population, 80% of lawyers, Bankers, traders, musicians, artists, teachers, etc should be Parriyans. This is simply not the case and it is kept that way by the celebrated 'caste' entrepreneurs, through violence, intimidation and coercion.
I can agree that the every should have equal opportunity. But equal OUTCOME is a different story. But that Outcome based stuff is the policy of "reservation" at every level (shool, college, jobs etc..) and you can be "reserved" throughout your life. The trouble is that is it will lead to outcomes like our Honble Home Minister. A disastrous failure as Power Minister, who would have been fired in any civilized country, gets promoted and becomes home Minister. Or like our Honble President. A failure TWICE as FM, who brought he country to it's knees both the times, get elevated as President, instead of being sent home! Home Minister says "Congress never forgets the Scheduled Castes , Backwards and Minorities" on his elevation, but has not a single word to say on Competence!
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

vina wrote: I would recommend Micheal Porter's seminal work "Competitive Advantage - Creating and sustaining superior performance" for everyone....

<snip>
Good post !
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... e/1024075/
Apparently not enthused by the Reserve Bank of India's (RBI) cautious stance, Finance Minister P Chidambaram today said that growth is as much a challenge as containing inflation and government would "walk alone" to face the challenge if it comes to that.
"Growth is as much a challenge as inflation. If government has to walk alone to face the challenge of growth, then we will walk alone," he said in his reaction to the RBI's second quarter policy review.

Chidambaram was apparently upset over RBI's decision to leave interest rates unchanged on inflation concerns despite the government unveiling a five-year fiscal consolidation road map ahead of the policy.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

This is very unfortunate and shows sheer incompetence of Chidambaram. There is a reason why RBI and various central banks around the world are kept out of the control of elected governments. The short-sighted elected governments (facing the reelection pressure) are likely to demand drop in rates to support growth even if that may have a devastating hyper inflation later. Central banks have a mandate to balance unemployment with inflation, which should be a mandate for FM as well. But FM has to worry about reelection and therefore he is unlikely to make a economically rational decision. Independence of central bank is supposed to do that.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Umm...

Vina, I literally have no idea where you are going with that rambling post.

Are you saying caste based entrepreneurship is OK as long as they use machines or are you saying that caste entrepreneurship is bad. You say both those contradictory things in the same sentence!

And whats with the random broadsides at vegetable markets, Madiwala, Jewish farmers (there are hundreds of Kibutz's in the USA, who are baffled right now), Dravidian this or that (I'm assuming you don't identify as a Dravidian), power ministers, POI, etc.

These sorts of strategeeee books smells too much of yumbeeyea giri boss. And yumbeeyea giri is every bit as demented as JNU giri. I'd love to see you come and implement your 'competitive advantage' at the Perungadi fish market. Lets see you bring your mechanized equipment and ask the caste folks to clean the fish market. For that matter what stops you saar from getting your mechanized tractor down to the Madiwala market and turning into a garbage entrepreneur. I'll tell you what stops you, the fact that every resident in your apartment complex will then kick you and your children out on the street the next day. This sort of nonsense is meant for a fully modern social system. Not one where our children are guaranteed to never work on 'mechanized' garbage cleaning or night soil work. It's all meant for some one else's children.