Cruise Missile Test in Pakistan: News and Discussions

Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Raj Malhotra wrote:
Johann wrote:Rangudu,

The DND stresses that while retaliation will not be immediate, it will be certain and devastating.

Where did you get that?
That is how it was explained to me by someone in the position to know.

There is an emphasis on the survivability of a credible Indian deterrent throughout the DND.

It makes sense; Launch on Warning will not save the lives of your people. It can only save your nukes. On the other hand a false alarm (it does happen) could cost millions of lives. It is something to be used by the very few countries with a counter-force strategy (ie those attempting to fight a 'winnable' nuclear war), or in the case of a country with a counter-value strategy, but with a nuclear force and C3I whose survivability is doubted.

Neither India nor Pakistan, nor the PRC rely on a counter-force strategy.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

indeed J1, I had forgotten the effect of live TV footage of a burning BPO tower in gurgaon or banda-kurla on the morale of the middle class, business and investors. quite cheap option to lob a few CMs and force diversion of AD assets (ground & air). the local version of the DoLittle raid.

the upgradation of our AD network into a true area AAW system (s-300 et al) that has been hanging fire for over a decade now will perhaps be taken up seriously in CCS now. Politicians will note the long term trailing effects of CM induced disruptions in indian-west economic matters could last for months and years.

my only hope is Akash having cleared trials is now finally funded seriously and deployed, even if in a more static role on tatra trucks .... this is a good opportunity for a rising tide to lift a lot of boats over the IA's checkdam.
Joype
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Joype »

Mubarakmand, who heads the missile development programme, said Babur landed on its target in the southwestern Baluchistan province with an accuracy of centimeters.
How many centimeters?
Since it is claimed made pakigenously, I guess it hit the target with an accuracy of at least half a million centimeters. Immaculate ! :rotfl:
Ani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ani »

I don't know how the pakistani's can afford all this. They must be spending quite a lot.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Ani, your posts have a certain 'ring' about them.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Ani wrote:I don't know how the pakistani's can afford all this. They must be spending quite a lot.
Hmm.. :roll:, after all the Travelling Salesman [Mr.Shortcut Aziz] is running all around the world with a begging bowl. I wouldn't be surprised even if his future itinerary includes a visit to Antarctica, and Niger(with all due respect).

:idea: "Did you know the Karachi stock exchange is a bad place to invest."
Last edited by Tilak on 13 Aug 2005 18:24, edited 2 times in total.
Ani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ani »

haha. :lol:
Joype
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Joype »

Folks,

Some thoughts in my mind: apology if it seems weird -

Is it a Paki catch to provoke our country and force us to make counter test or any other appropriate measures so that the US congress will think twice to ratify the deal that recently signed by Bush & MMS?
Apart from all of other paki wicked intentions, was this CM test a paki trick to compel the investors to rethink on invest in Indian market and funnel huge amount out of India by creating chaos in Indian share market that is booming rocket high? We see the stock market was ever time high just before this mockery.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Johann wrote:For better and for worse the politicians who make the final decisions in democracies can never afford to look at things from a purely military perspective.
Which is what gives terrorists and terrorist states their power.

A few men can hijack an airliner and the top echelons of government are paralyzed, focused on this one crisis. All other business gets deferred and we have continuous TV coverage.

A missile strike that actually does very little damage causes emergency measures, with combat air patrols and installation of ABM systems (themselves ineffective).

Comparable numbers of people die in a bus accident ("overloaded indian bus falls into gorge") and it merits a mention in the newspaper.
Ani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ani »

Brahmos Vs Phalanx?

{ADMIN NOTE:Please post this question in the missiles discussion folder or the miscellaneous question foder in the Military forum
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Continuing the discussion of missiles as conventional terror weapons.

The precise way that this sort of thing will affect people depends on the particular situation.

The V2 was a first of a kind - absolutely no warning exactly when and where it would hit if you were in London or Ostend. No air raid warnings, no chance to dive in to a shelter, no calculation of the strategic value of your area. The strange thing is that it is those very characteristics that mean that ordinary people *had* to go on with their lives. At the same time it contributed to a certain grimness and weariness that was the product of a very long, but very final war.

Forty five years later it was possible for people in Tel Aviv to be given early warning of a ballistic missile strike, and although that was good for the patriot batteries and the emergency services, I dont know if it did anything good for public anxiety. You just had frightened people cowering in basements and dying of heart attacks. Of course if any of the Scuds really were carrying nerve agents the distribution of gas masks meant that early warning could have saved lives.

There are two competing pulls on democratic leadership in any war - the first is to limit the total cost of war, particularly to civilians at home, while the other is to be resolute in the pursuit of victory.

I doubt that such strikes would have a long term impact on the Indian economy - but they would have a very significant psychological and economic cost during the war, particularly if people have early warning and/or particular areas are targetted within a city, and people can not be sure that when this war ends they are unlikely to have to fight the same enemy again.

The need to be seen to do something, and the need to limit the cost to civilians could converge, leading to a diversion of resources from the established campaign goals. That is what I consider the likely worst case scenario.

Ways to manage such a situation - if the missiles are not accurate enough to hit the same parts of city over and over, or the targets are widely dispersed, do not make early warning announcements to the public even if the data is available. If damage is largely material then restrict detailed descriptions of damage in the media. Rather than spending a lot of time explaining that CMs are not a threat, talk about the successes in the battles which have military rather than political impact. Be willing to take civil defence measures like evacuating areas if necessary, but do so without accepting pressure to re-evaluate progress in the war.
Last edited by Johann on 13 Aug 2005 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

‘Babur’s serial production by next month’

ISLAMABAD: The indigenously developed first cruise missile of Pakistan Hataf-VII Babur will be in serial production by next month and the batteries of the same would be handed over to the armed forces accordingly.

This was disclosed in an exclusive interview with The News by Dr Samar Mubarakmand, chairman National Engineering and Scientific Commission of Pakistan (Nescom) on Thursday evening.

Responding to a question, Dr Mubarakmand said that a new test range had been developed for the new series of missile testing in Balochistan. The Babur Hataf-VII was test-fired from this range. The missile landed at the target in the same province with the accuracy of centimetres. Pakistan is the fourth country after the United States, Russia and China that has the technology of this precision.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Johann the last time I saw some real unity of opinion and otherwise in India was during kargil. Infact Indians can be a very resilient group of people when it comes to war.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

J1's last para is very reasonable, however I fear none of the indian public, media or political class are mature enough to take that course unless a very charismatic & TV-friendly PM / HM (blair say) is able to appeal directly to the people, visit the affected areas and soothe the mood of nation. with MMS and shivraj patil well well, :twisted: does it inspire much hope? Sonia could do it I guess, mystique brings its own authority plus the well known brand value and white skin advantages. BJP seniors could chip in. CPI(M) will try their level best to sabotage everything as usual.

basic problem is the Indian urban civilian population has NEVER faced the ravages of a war long or short since 1857.

even if the Govt is unable to guarantee supplies of milk for a day in delhi colonies you can be sure the media will be nitpicking and highlighting the 'failures' of the Govt even as a brutal war is ongoing.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Singha I doubt citizens of delhi will be panicky over lack of milk supply. But incompetent & unsure leadership might pose some challenges. As usual the commies are the unforeseen package.

A war is good once in a while, it brings disparate & diverse people together. Very essential for India.
suresh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by suresh »

this kind of threat can surely paralyze a developed country but unfortunately for the pakis, India just a overpopulated poor country. someone farts and 10 people die here. 95% of the citizens of delhi and mumbai dont have any luxury of sitting at home and not working even for a day so they will work and throw a few buckets of water to wash off the blood on the street if any.
I completely agree with singha.

If the pakis did start a nuke war
the most damage you would do is bomb the cities.
Comsidring pakistan has about 60
odd 50 KTonne nukes and considering the size of
major indian cities you would need atleast
10 of them to ensure the complete annialiation
of the population in those cities. So atmost we
would witness some 6-10 cities destroyed and
atmost 100 million of indians killed.

But on the other hand the advantanges of a
nuclear war for india is Immense. when the nuclear
war starts it will be evident that pakistan
intends to wipe out indians from the face of the earth.
So the indian government would open the leash
it had on the indian army and will tell
them publicaly to cleanse the pakistani's from
the sacread soil of the Indus basin. it would no
longer be a war of limited objectives as in
1971 or before. This war will mimic the world war-II
in the eastern front where the soviets and
the nazi's fought on the lines of "win or die".

The indian armed forces would get new recruits
(INSTANTLY) from the relatives and survivors of the bombed out
cities whose sole purpose to survive in this
world is to slice up pakistanis and use their
blood as war paint.
If you thought the nazi's were barbaric then
the survivors can be called as devil's avatar into this world.
The indian army saturated by these death
hungry survivous would probably call for
closing of possible escape routes
to iran and afghanistan and would kill any
escaping civilians with the most barbaric
method they could device in the
history of mankind.

In the end the majority of pakistani people will
be extinct and new fertile land of thousands and
thousands of square miles will be added to india.

In the end is it worth to lose 150 million out
of 1.2 billion people and gain new vast land into the indian union.

YES It is, it will not only bring back the
ancient land but also would aid india as it's population
is once again in under check.Not only that
the status of Indian would grow many fold
in the international stage as true warriors
and not some hippie people or colonial slaves.
True, india will once again go back
10-20 years behind development because of it's
major cities nuked but it would revitilise the
economy with more jobs to rebuild the
country just like what happened to the soviets,
germans and the japanese after world war-II .
Unemployent will be no more and with 150
million killed it would bring the indians closer
than ever in the history of the human race.
pakistan with it's existance erased from world
will be the eventual losers.

So if any one who should be praying for peace
is the pakistanis. :!:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ani wrote:Brahmos Vs Phalanx?
Please post this question in the missiles discussion folder or the miscellaneous question folder in the Military forum
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Johann wrote:
Raj Malhotra wrote:
Where did you get that?
That is how it was explained to me by someone in the position to know.

There is an emphasis on the survivability of a credible Indian deterrent throughout the DND.

It makes sense; Launch on Warning will not save the lives of your people. It can only save your nukes. On the other hand a false alarm (it does happen) could cost millions of lives. It is something to be used by the very few countries with a counter-force strategy (ie those attempting to fight a 'winnable' nuclear war), or in the case of a country with a counter-value strategy, but with a nuclear force and C3I whose survivability is doubted.

Neither India nor Pakistan, nor the PRC rely on a counter-force strategy.

Johann

you have mixed a vague statement with a lecture. Let me tell you that India has a flexible nuke strike policy. We will wait for the last minute but "not necessarily" for detonation of a nuke against our interests.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

JaiS wrote:‘Babur’s serial production by next month’

ISLAMABAD: The indigenously developed first cruise missile of Pakistan Hataf-VII Babur will be in serial production by next month and the batteries of the same would be handed over to the armed forces accordingly.

This was disclosed in an exclusive interview with The News by Dr Samar Mubarakmand, chairman National Engineering and Scientific Commission of Pakistan (Nescom) on Thursday evening.

Responding to a question, Dr Mubarakmand said that a new test range had been developed for the new series of missile testing in Balochistan. The Babur Hataf-VII was test-fired from this range. The missile landed at the target in the same province with the accuracy of centimetres. Pakistan is the fourth country after the United States, Russia and China that has the technology of this precision.
Just one test and serial production. It is paint job.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Yeah, serial production here refers to opening the wooden crates and erasing the old serial number. :lol:
kgoan
BRFite

Post by kgoan »

Johann:

Partly correct. Currently, there's no counterforce against the P-5 for obvious reasons.

But not even the most deluded of the Pak generals would believe the "no-first-use" rule would apply to them.

TSJ:

Could you take a shot at your own questions? What's your opinion?
Last edited by kgoan on 13 Aug 2005 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Prateek
BRFite

Post by Prateek »

We must concentrate MORE on what they have and and who provides them, not if it is a paint job or an assembly line work. It is always worrisome as long as Pakistan have the Babur's...

It is amazing to see what Pakis are capable of.... Just look at them, first they got the the F-16's.. the Agosta B's... then the Ghori's... then the nukes... again the F-16's.. now the Babur's.... No matter whether they are the artwork of painting, begging or stealing or mix of all, they do work hard in a pursuasive way to get what they want. For this they use their own 'indegenous technology and methodology' and implement it in the form of terrorism enhanced by Jihad and treachery.

The fact is they get what they want so that they could threaten INDIA. Pakis may be the best begging terrorists, but they are the best terrorists and a permanent threat to India and what should be noticed is the fact that their strength is increasing no matter how and why. This fact can not be and should not be ignored at all.

The Red and Green are always going to be a threat to the Blue, and blue has been extra ordinarily slow in the act.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rangudu wrote:Yeah, serial production here refers to opening the wooden crates and erasing the old serial number. :lol:
Missile & crate from Chicom. Paint for re-paint specially sent by US State Department.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Raj,

You dont have to take my word for it. Why not re-read the DND and the MoD Annual Report 2001-2002 side by side?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

No matter whether they are the artwork of painting, begging or stealing or mix of all, they do work hard in a pursuasive way to get what they want
Not really.

There is more to this story. True, Pakis get, but NOT what PAKIS want. Pakis get what provider countries (NOT country) think what is needed to keep India contained. For that they do not have to work at all.

Heard Ruians have shipped the 300s to 'Nam.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Could you take a shot at your own questions? What's your opinion?

Oh, you want a WAG (wild assed guess) huh?

Well, I think my first assertion stands. The Packees ain't got the horses to build a real cruise missile from scratch.

So how did they get it? Let's go to the usual suspects:

1. The US. Nasty boyz that they are but is it in their interests to set Packeeland up with a cruise missile?

Hmmm, well, there are the nuclear aspects to this missile. And the US is certainly not fond of that. But then there is secret desire of every American to stifle Indian quest for a greater co-prosperity sphere in the "South Asian" region. A perfect denouement to India's plan to MIRV ICBMs and destroy the American Way. But I am foaming at the mouth and better stop. Let's just keep this one on the back burner for a while.

2. China. Oh yeah, the dragon wants to contain the elephant all right. Big time.

But can China develop a real live, honest to goodness, shave the ant hills, terrain hugging, nuke capable, 10 meter accuracy, 1000 Km cruise missile? But does it have to be that good? I don't think so. But still, it's a mighty big order for the dragon to work one out even from all the wrecked US cruise missiles littering the landscape of the mid-east and asia.

But then do the Chinese wanna be know as the weapons proliferator to a terrorist state when they are trying to sell electric foot massagers to every household in America? Buy my trinkets so I can give weapons to the madrassas? Hmm, something to ponder.

3. Saudia Arabia. The wahabis love their deobandis, no doubt. So is this cruise missile halal beyond doubt? And do the Saudis hate India?

No, the Saudis don't hate India. But the Saudis love the halal Packees tribesmen and their quest for a minoret outside every mayor's office in North America. And they call us the "Crusaders"?

But the Saudis have access baby. Not just to the US but to every weapons manufacturer in Europe. And more importantly, they got the *cash*. And again does the missile have to be top of the line? No, certainly not. Look at the Saudis acquistion of missiles for their own use. All the cruise missile needs is a rudimentry inertial navigation to put it somewhere in the region of a particular city. That makes it a terror weapon. And the euros are capable of developing that.

So, let's sum it up: Saudi money, euro tech, maybe China tech, maybe US desire to offset India, rudimnentry capabilities for a low flying (less than 500 feet ) missile to hit somewhere in a city to create terror.

So does Packeeland still have their nukes? You better believe they do, but the US knows where they are and set up an inventory. Is this good enough? I doubt it.
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Johann wrote:Raj,

You dont have to take my word for it. Why not re-read the DND and the MoD Annual Report 2001-2002 side by side?

Initially it was somebody in the know of it and now it is reports? OK, lets just differ about it.
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

I am very skeptical about the claim for terrain following about this missile
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

How high above sea level is New Delhi? Or is that a state secret?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

From another thread:
Tijo
BRFite -Trainee

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 06:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me it looks like a repainted YJ 62 chinese cruise missile (the new YJ 62). The one on Type 052C destroyer.

Arun_S wrote:Cross post fronm Paki thread:

BBC: Pakistan fires new cruise missile

My intial assessment is it being a repained "Hong Niao-1 (HN-1)" Chinese cruise missile
HN-1 (ESTIMATED SPECIFICATIONS): from
http://www.vectorsite.net/twcruz7.html
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/china/lacm.htm
BSR Murthy
BRFite

Post by BSR Murthy »

Even John Dvorak gets it!

Pakistan Ups the Warfare Ante
Maybe they should use it on themselves since the middle of the country seems to be renegade.
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/
Murthy
Last edited by BSR Murthy on 14 Aug 2005 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Raj Malhotra wrote:I am very skeptical about the claim for terrain following about this missile
I too doubt that they have it *today*, but it is not that big a deal for them to get it because the Chinese are likely to have the data already anyway. Or may be even Unkil ;)

Let us not underestimate TSP. Repainted or original, a missile is a missile. As Johann noted, it is just one more tool in their arsenal and most likely a better one than what they currently have.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

mavaustin @ AFM forum posted following:
Cruise missile Babur successfully test fired

Musharraf greets nation, scientists

Agreement with India does not cover advance information of Cruise missile tests

Aroosa Alam/APP

Rawalpindi—Pakistan today conducted a successful test flight of its first ever Ground Launched Cruise Missile - (GLCM) Hatf-VII Babur, designed and developed by an elite team of scientists and engineers of Pakistan’s strategic organisations. By the Grace of Allah, all design parameters for the flight were validated.

Babur cruise missile has the capacity to carry nuclear and conventional warheads to a range of 500 kilometers with pinpoint accuracy. It is terrain hugging missile, which has the most advanced and modern navigation and guidance system and a high degree of maneuverability. The technology enables the missile to avoid radar detection and penetrate undetected through any hostile defensive system, says an ISPR press release. By conducting the successful test, Pakistan has joined a select group of countries which have the capability to design and develop cruise missiles. Cruise missiles can also be launched from surface ships, submarines and aircraft. The ground launched cruise missile - (GLCM) Hatf -VII Babur is not only comparative with modern missile systems of the world, but also superior to these. It is a highly effective and trustworthy weapon due to its extraordinary characteristics, PTV reported.

Babur cruise missile is launched vertically with the solid booster motor. Immediately after the launch its guidance and control system takes over. The missile gains speed and after a few seconds its rocket booster motor is separated.

Then, the missile automatically opens its wing as a jet plane, and moves towards its target speedily and accurately. Later, the missile culminates its mission from a specific height from land. Due to this it remains undetected and saved from radar system of the enemy. The missile crosses all hurdles on its way due to computerized programming and moves towards the target, protecting itself from anti-aircraft line of the enemy. Special cameras installed in the missile, control and manage its height by minutely monitoring ups and downs of land. {Does this means it relies on TFR or TERCOM or simple TV guidance?} After recognising the target the missile hits its target instantly.
Babur cruise missile has the capacity to carry nuclear and conventional warheads to a range of 500 kilometers with pinpoint accuracy. President General Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz have congratulated the nation, engineers and their staff on successful cruise missile test. President Musharraf said the test was a “major milestone” in the country’s nuclear programme, a statement said issued here on Thursday.
Last edited by Sumeet on 14 Aug 2005 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Russian experts give Pakistani missile test mixed reaction

MOSCOW. Aug 12 (Interfax) - The adoption into service of a nuclear capable cruise missile by Pakistan can be regarded as its application for membership of the nuclear club, member of the Russian Academy of Military Sciences Konstantin Nikolsky thinks.

"The successful test of a cruise missile is undoubtedly a breakthrough for Pakistan and its transition from a threshold state to the level of fully-fledged member of the nuclear club," he told Interfax on Friday.

"The existence of a nuclear warhead delivery vehicle in the form of a cruise missile in Pakistan significantly increases the threat to India, aggravates tension in the region and to a certain extent builds up the threat to Russia," Nikolsky said.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

India had no clue Pak has cruise missiles

Sadaqat Jan (AP)

Islamabad, August 13, 2005

India rejected a proposal by Pakistan to include cruise missiles in a treaty the two countries finalised last week on giving each other advance information on planned ballistic missile tests, a Pakistani official said on Saturday.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammed Naeem Khan said New Delhi was not aware at the time that Pakistan, like India, has cruise missiles.

Pakistan on Thursday test-fired its first cruise missile, named Babur, and didn't give any prior information to India about it. Khan said that in the talks last week in India, Pakistan's delegation proposed that cruise missiles should also be included. "But the Indian side did not agree and insisted that only advance information be provided concerning ballistic missile tests," Khan said.

"Clearly Pakistan has this capability and Pakistani scientists have been able to develop this indigenously and through sustained hard work."

The 500-kilometre range missile is capable of carrying nuclear and conventional warheads and can be fired from submarines, ships and aircraft, Pakistan officials say. India and Pakistan, longtime rivals, have yet to sign the agreement that they finalised on August 6 in New Delhi. The unsigned accord also provides for setting up a hot line between top foreign ministry officials on both sides by September to reduce the risk of an accidental nuclear war.

In 1998 India and Pakistan carried out underground nuclear tests. The two countries often carry out tit-for-tat missile tests. Khan said India has never informed Pakistan of its tests of BrahMos missile, a supersonic cruise missile it has developed with Russian cooperation. The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 kilometres and it can carry up to 300 kilograms of conventional warheads.

Samar Mubarik Mand, the head of Pakistan's missile program, told reporters after the successful test firing of the missile on Thursday that Pakistan's cruise missile is much better than India's.

The talks in New Delhi on missile tests notification and nuclear hot line were part of a peace initiative the two countries began in January last year aimed at resolving minor issues before trying to tackle the main Kashmir dispute.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I think it is a safe assumption for Indian planners to assume that Pakistan has the same weapons as China does.
kgoan
BRFite

Post by kgoan »

TSJ,

Saudi cash, sure. China? No brainer that.

But Euro tech? I would have thought Ukranian seems more likely.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The YJ is an anti-ship CM. The Hong Niao is land attack. That doesn't imply that the Pukies took an ASCM and sent it over the flat desert.

I researched a bit for chinese cruise missiles and tech. Most of the articles ignore the software technology aspect, and focus on the aero components. And I could not find any real mention of any TERCOM like capability.

There is HUGE difference between an anti-ship CM and a Land Attack CM. The ASCM don't have to worry about terrain. It just has to navigate to the set location and use the terminal guidance technique to find the target. The LACM need to worry about the terrain, and that is where the technologies like TFR, TERCOM, DSMAC etc come into play. My brief research shows that only Russia has something of a TERCOM. No one else.

There are two aspects of terrain following. One is to keep the missile at a constant altitude, and the other is to correct the flight path of the missile based on terrain information. Terrain information is collected either visually and/or by radar. Correction of flight path is achieved by comparing the terrain information to that already stored in the computer. Constant altitude can be achieved by a mix of pre calculated paths and verification from the actual terrain data. So, you can end up in different levels of sophistication in this.

1. Anti-ship like: Fly a path based on INS/GPS, and keep constant altitude. Assume flat terrain.

2. Fly the path using INS/GPS. Folow a pre-programmed altitude profile. I would imagine 500ft high paths should be possible over normal land terrain with this.

3. Fly the path using INS/GPS. Use TFR to keep constant altitude. Need good algorithms for hilly terain.

4. Correct the flightpath using matching prominent terrain features

5. Correct flightpath using scene matching. Most complicated of all.

All these are heavily software intensive technologies, and unless you can steal source codes, it takea lot of time to develop. Free availability of image processing technologies makes it a lot easier, but it still takes considerable amount of time and effort.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Well, since none of you mopes would tell me how high New Delhi is above sea level I had to google it.

And at 216 meters, unless there is an intervening mountain range, or, no way to do an inertial navigation work around, a naval type cruise missile could reach New Delhi. Unless it is shot down first.

I'm not sure inertial navigation is all that hard to do. US has been doing it since the early 1960s.

Geez, whut's up with them boy friends up north spreading all that technology around?
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

dileep,

http://mil.jschina.com.cn/huitong/missile1.htm

YJ-63 is the first generation of Chinese stand-off LACM. The missile is believed to have been based on HY-4/XW-41 AshMs and powered by a turbojet engine. Its range is believed to be 200+km. Its features INS/GPS midcourse and TV terminal guidiance. The missile also features 4 tailfins in "X" arrangement and a belly air intake. YJ-63 can be carried by H-6H missile carriers which are in service with PLAAF. Each H-6H carries 2 missiles under the wing.

Paki missile will be more or less be using similar tech[as mentioned above]. I posted an article which describes the tech used in Babur, can you take a guess what it could be ?