Boston Bombing Followup Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Garooda
BRFite

Re: Boston Bombing Followup Thread

Post by Garooda »

@arun Certainly seems to be the case but ofcourse it will not surface for a long time/ever until a similar incident occurs with similar individuals with similar backgrounds. Until then all we can do is connect the dots/play travel agent vinod :D
Last edited by Garooda on 30 Apr 2013 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What the above series of articles show is that Dagestan is the new hotbed of jihad in Central Asia. And its being facilitated by AngloSaxon West thru preferred KSA funded Wahabism.
----------

What is female DNA? Are they referring to chromosomes? Seems odd way of putting it.

------------

This Fuller guy was top honcho. He was an aide to Vice President Bush during the Reagan years. He wrote a book called 'Democracy Trap" right after the first Gulf War.
Garooda
BRFite

Post by Garooda »

Its getting interesting by the day as now there were speculations about the Russian involvement (or is it a blame game to avoid public/local/international criticism due to failure of intelligence agencies/policies/procedures/projects ?)

Russian_Connection?

Times_Article

KAY_JI_BEE_Involved?
The US-based Jamestown Foundation published an article which established a KGB Connection and involvement of Russia's state terrorists in Boston bombings. The article "Parts of Boston Bombers' Radicalization Narrative Remain Murky" in particular says:

Even the fact that the Tsarnaev family moved from Kazakhstan to Dagestan in the North Caucasus in 1999 does not mean that it experienced any pressure there. Tamerlan was in Dagestan for a little more than a year and then returned to Kyrgyzstan to travel to the United States.

Tamerlan arrived in the US in 2003, when he was 15-16 years old.

Tamerlan was influenced by the songs of Timur Mutsuraev, a traitor who renounced the resistance and held a meeting with Kadyrov.

Tamerlan visited the capital of Dagestan, Makhachkala, in January-July 2012. By the time he visited Russia, Tamerlan already had Russian citizenship :roll: (How did he get it? According to Russian laws, at least for mere mortals, he is not entitled to it - KC).

While in the North Caucasus, Tamerlan in all likelihood would have been interested in what was happening in Chechnya and in the North Caucasus in general. However, several questions arise:

- Why did the Russians not question him, if they noticed he had made any suspicious contacts in Dagestan?

- And if they suspected as much, why did the Russian authorities not warn their US counterparts that Tamerlan had contacts with Salafis-for example, members of the Association of Scholars Ahlu-Sunna?
The Tsarnaevs' choice of the target country is also strange, if Tamarlan was being influenced by North Caucasian militants. As the insurgents in the North Caucasus blame Russia for all of their troubles, they have not been hostile toward the United States.

Moscow correspondent of the London-based The Guardian, Miriam Adler, knew immediately what Jamestown Foundation wanted to say twitted on a "Jamestown conspiracy theory" :roll: .
Garooda
BRFite

Post by Garooda »

Although this is few days old news, there are several such cases of non-muslim girls in UK/US and possibly other countries. It should be an eye opener for many girls.

Nadine Ascencao (hope its her real name)
AN ex-girlfriend of dead Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev has told how he tried to brainwash her into becoming a Muslim fanatic who hated America.
Nadine Ascencao, 24, said Tamerlan made her wear an Islamic hijab and pray to Allah and slapped her when she wore Western clothes.

But she was so blindly in love with the handsome boxer who had taken her virginity, she did her utmost to make him happy. - This is how he tried to enslave her into his belief system?

Nadine said: “I went to his mosque a couple of times and even looked into converting to make him happy. I thought, ‘This is crazy’ — but I still did it for him.

“Tamerlan had taken my virginity and said he loved me because I was pure and hadn’t been with any other guys. I was in love and scared he’d leave me if I didn’t do what he said. Looking back I had a lucky escape.”

During their three-year relationship she watched him change from a cannabis-smoking, party-loving teenager into a violent extremist.

She said: “One minute he’s this funny, normal guy who liked boxing and having fun, the next he is praying four times a day, watching Islamic videos and talking insane nonsense.

“He became extremely religious and tried to brainwash me to follow Islam. Tamerlan said I couldn’t be with him unless I became a Muslim. He wanted me to hate America like he did.

“He wouldn’t let me watch TV or listen to the radio. He’d say, ‘TV is the project of Satan’ and claimed Satan sent us messages through commercial music.”

The couple even stopped having sex after he said it was wrong because they were not married.

“He once ripped a pair of my jeans and hit me in the face with them. Tamerlan told me I should only talk to Muslim girls, not other ‘slutty’ girls.” Besotted Nadine moved into a flat in the house where the Tsarnaev family lived to be near Tamerlan.

And she was heartbroken when she learned he was secretly seeing another girl. Her rival was Katherine Russell, a student who was to become Tamerlan’s wife after converting to Islam. Crafty Tamerlan was soon playing the two women off against one another.

Nadine said: “He once made me learn a verse of an Islamic prayer and if I got it wrong he’d say, ‘Well Katherine can do it’.”

Tamerlan even attacked Nadine when he found her heading off to a friend’s pool party wearing cut-off jeans and a crop top.

She said: “He was shouting and screaming at me. He slapped me across the face really hard.”

Nadine called the police and Tamerlan was arrested and spent a night in the cells. Once out on bail he begged Nadine’s forgiveness.

But as soon as she dropped the charges Tamerlan dumped her and moved in with Katherine. Nadine’s relationship was over and within six months Katherine was pregnant with Tamerlan’s daughter.

Nadine put Tamerlan behind her and barely gave him a second thought until the early hours of April 19 when the FBI turned up at her home asking questions about her ex.

“I was more shocked Dzhokhar was involved. He was a nice kid.”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There seems to be a super covert program which seeks to subvert radical Islamist rageboys to attack recalcitrant countries.

Daoud Gilani aka David Headley and not Tamerlan Tsarvnev are two examples. Who knows how many snakes are being groomed?

Normal enquires by the federal agencies don't show any track record of the their malfeasance.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Russians inquired about him to fbi, but did nothing when he was back in russia to renew his passport. So much is fishy in all the planted stories on news channels and print media.

Conspiracy theories have more legs to stand on than "authentic" news links. With time you will hear less and less except for the shrill cry about bad islamists hating america. Easy to sell and good cover up story for everything.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Singha wrote:they claim to have discovered some crude devices off in the woods somewhere..perhaps to test the detonation mechanism with a small charge and no container.

FBI == CBI - they will tailor their findings and lose / gain evidence to satisfy the political masters of the day.
Last week shortly after the initial report the local police ruled out any connection between those devices (cardboard pipes filled with fireworks powder sealed on both sides with wax and a fuse which has to be lighted up with a match) and Brothers T. Their main worry was that it could hurt anybody if handled incorrectly and especially they were worried about children. But that was a conjecture only at that time.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

ramana wrote:Who knows how many snakes are being groomed?
Yes, I wonder about that and that the USA would still not tell us of these snakes it is running.

I'm amazed that the folks are claiming there was not attack on americans after 911 under bush. What about Mumbai, several of the killed were Americans deliberately targeted and Hafiz continues to walk around freely with no drone strike. Why is the afghan taliban targeted but the pakistani taliban gets a free pass.
Abhijit
BRFite

Post by Abhijit »

GOTUS is between a rock and a hard place. The authorities have so far maintained that the T brothers acted alone. This may be true or a smokescreen. There may be a deeper investigation going on that needs the cover of an official 'all clear' announcement (that the T brothers acted alone) in order to keep the other possible conspirators off balance.
Think about this. If the T brothers acted alone, that buys a temporary relief to the US Authorities. But it will be a short-lived relief. If the other potential jihadis swallow the line that T brothers acted alone and it is super-easy to build and detonate IED's then a thousand of them will attempt it in the next few years. Can the authorities be sure that all of them will fizzle like faisal shehzad?
On the other hand, if the authorities declare that there was outside help to T brothers then people will clamor for bringing all the guilty parties to justice. This will cause a problem because who knows where the leads may lead to? That means the Boston bombing is not a solved case and it will cause a paranoia in the public again.
Today POTUS repeatedly mentioned 'self-radicalization'. He also maintained that the T brothers were not linked to any group. I think it is a laughable concept. What is self-radicalization? How come Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs and others don't get self-radicalized? Isn't there a common thread binding all those so-called self-radicalized, warped, twisted minds?

America won the cold war because it did the very first thing right. Namely, the identification of the real enemy. Americans went around repeatedly saying that they do NOT consider Russians as enemies. They always maintained that the ideology of communism/Marxism is the enemy - not the people. Here in the WOT, they are doing the exact opposite. They are going after the enemy combatants without naming the enemy itself. The outcome is going to be not as successful as the cold war.

Just some rambling thoughts.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

Ombaba and Putin exchanged plesentaries on phone yesterday CNN reports
Last edited by pentaiah on 01 May 2013 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

These mujahids, while plotting jihad against kuffar, was also collecting jiziya from them, quite like the Pakis in UK.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... n_benefits
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

^^^^
reminds me of Love Jihad.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kati, For the elder T it was definitely.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

I think it is increasingly likely that Katherine Russel Tsarnaev will be prosecuted and her parents bankrupted in the coming civil trials.

FBI should also look for this pattern with wives working long hours supporting dead beat husband filled with poison and increasing jeehaard-ness...
Unfortunately I know several in my neighborhood.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I don't know if this was posted or discussed before but Katherine Russell warned Tamerlan once FBI released pictures of bombers (According to few news reports a few days ago ... the information came from DT in his interrogation, and in all likely hood the phone conversation between TT and KR was recorded )..

Per this report ... Dzokhar Tsarnaev told interrogators that the information that set in motion the series of events leading to Tamerlan’s death and Dzokhar’s apprehension came in a phone call from Katherine Russell Tsarnaeva to her husband. “She notified him and there certainly didn’t seem to be any notion of surprise – just a report that ‘you’re being watched,’” said one official with knowledge of the investigation. Tsarnaev had seen the photographs and videos distributed by the FBI on television and called her husband to give him a heads up.

After receiving that phone call, authorities believe, Tamerlan decided he could not continue to hide from law enforcement and triggered the brothers’ bizarre flight from authorities –.... murder of an MIT police officer , a carjacking, shootouts etc ...

Also it will be interesting to see what her excuse was not to inform authorities as she spent time with them after the bombing ... and certainly must have wondered what they were doing with all those pressure cookers ...

Here is one source from 4/26 : link to a video
Last edited by Amber G. on 01 May 2013 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Isn't it interesting that the media is reporting on her only now, though her radicalization (conversion) was also known from the beginning when the names of both the Ts surfaced. She was as devout as the T brothers mother from all one can gather.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Also heard from news reports (not checked) that woman and her mother (and also her sister) had Facebook pages .....none of these people ever saw or took notice of the hateful and chilling material on Tamerlin's public pages ...
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

AmberG ji, by "that woman" do you mean Katherine Tsarnaev (nee Russel)?
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

I don't say this lightly but I think it best she be sent to prison so at least her child has a chance to withdraw from the poison...

It is not for nothing the Islamists target young girls, there is an age cut off, somewhere around 18-20 where women can no longer be manipulated easily, esp. using terms like sacrifice, etc.
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

It is interesting to note couple of things about this Katherine. Firstly she was abused by TT going by the news reports. Then this guy was killed for being the terrorist with Islamic ideology, and yet she adorns hijab, meaning she is still a follower of islam. So she doesn't think somehow Islam and/or her dead husband are responsible.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

... and the "pure and he took my virginity" quote from the ex GF is so weird. Somehow these love jihadists are able to find low self-esteem young women very easily. Is it part of the jihadi training, I wonder.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

My gut feeling is that all this talk of family radicalization etc are signs of distraction. Of course, in such matters truth will be visible only to a select few and we may never know the powerful forces that sway such actions.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

BTW I don’t believe for a second that the Hijab is a legitimate piece of clothing. It is steeped in misogyny, racism and bigotry towards all kinds of people. My wife is as non-religious and non-discriminating as they come and she is deeply offended by the symbolism of the Hijab. As the father of 2 girls and a grown-up daughter I find it detestable that we allow these symbols of racism and misogyny in our midst. The sooner it is made politically unacceptable and pushed to the periphery the better.

We don’t allow the confederate flag because of racism but we allow a symbol of all the mistreatment muslim women suffer in our midst….. :(
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

matrimc wrote:AmberG ji, by "that woman" do you mean Katherine Tsarnaev (nee Russel)?
Yes, but more accurately, I mean Karima Tsarnaev (nee Katherine Russell) her name after the marriage. (Googling Karima, and seeing some raw data about her from original sources..looks like (not surprising) that Russell family supported TT and many in the family were not happy about it.. Also Karima, it seems, who was not religious at all in high school, became more "religious" than even her mother-in-law :( ..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

No wonder she has her lawyers by her side all the time.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Raman garu

What is your email address where I can contact you? or could you please send an email to xxxxx? I have a small amount of info to be disseminated regarding Wikipedia editing.
Last edited by ramana on 01 May 2013 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ramana
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Meanwhile...It’s Election Day in Massachusetts!
Even before the Boston bombings, the campaign wasn’t drawing much attention. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino’s retirement triggered an open race that upstaged the Senate race. Secretary of State William Galvin is predicting that turnout will be lower than in the 2009 special primaries. With only about 550,000 ballots expected to be cast on the Democratic side, efforts to get out the vote will be pressure-tested.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Today Ombaba said:
"Based on what I've seen so far, the FBI performed its duties, the Department of Homeland Security did what it was supposed to be doing,"
Yet the bombing happened.

Even though the following is from medical practice it applies to all complex systems:

Operating at the Sharp End

The following pdf shows in grahpical form how accidents happen. See the chart on Triggers which is the Swiss Cheese model. There are inherent holes in all procedures and layers of defences and accidents happen that manage to find the holes.

A New Look at Complex System failure

One can see that the TT investigation hit all the holes and led to the bombing.

Meanwhile Republican critics are suffering from 'hindsight bias' show on chart 4!

A system accident is one where everyone follows the rules and nothing beyond and thus it happens.

Charles Perrow, the Yale Mgt prof in his book "Theory of Normal Accidents" writes there are two factors common:

- Complex systems with tightly coupled components.
- Long periods of operation without incidents

And then James Reason added:

- Human factors come into play leading to such 'accidents'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_accident
A system accident is an "unanticipated interaction of multiple failures" in a complex system. This complexity can either be technological or organizational, and often has elements of both.[1] A system accident can be very easy to see in hindsight, but very difficult to see in foresight. Ahead of time, there are simply too many possible action pathways.

These accidents often resemble Rube Goldberg devices in the way that small errors of judgment, flaws in technology, and insignificant damages combine to form an emergent disaster. System accidents were described in 1984 by Charles Perrow, who termed them "normal accidents", as having two main characteristics: interactive complexity and tight coupling. James T. Reason extended this approach with human reliability[2] and the Swiss cheese model, now widely accepted in aviation safety and healthcare.

Once an enterprise passes a certain point in size, with many employees, specialization, backup systems, double-checking, detailed manuals, and formal communication, employees can all too easily recourse to protocol, habit, and "being right." Rather like attempting to watch a complicated movie in a language one is unfamiliar with, the narrative thread of what is going on can be lost. And other phenomena, such as groupthink, can also be occurring at the same time, for real-world accidents of course almost always have multiple causes, and not just the single cause that could have prevented the accident at the very last minute. In particular, it is a mark of a dysfunctional organization to simply blame the last person who touched something.

The processes of formalized organizations are often largely opaque. Perrow call this "incomprehensibility."

There is an aspect of an animal devouring its tail, in that more formality and effort to get it just right can actually make the situation worse.[3] For example, the more organizational rigmarole involved in adjusting to changing conditions, the more employees will delay reporting changing conditions. And the more emphasis on formality, the less likely it is that employees and managers will engage in real communication. And new rules can actually make it worse, both by adding a new additional layer of complexity and by telling employees once again that they are not to think, but are instead simply to mechanically follow rules.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CNN reports preliminary/exploratory talks underway to get Dzhokar's cooperation in exchange for not seeking death penalty.
Also note the joining of a famous criminal lawyer Judy Clark, who is an expert in sentence mitigation.

LINK
-- Some very preliminary talks have been under way "for the past few days" to potentially allow Boston bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to resume providing investigators with information about the attacks in exchange for having the death penalty taken off the table, two government sources say.

Communications are in the very early stages, and not a sign lawyers for either side are ready to make a deal, said one source, who did not want to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the private discussions. A Justice Department official said it is not accurate to suggest there are negotiations.

Means dead end/stalemate is near.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There was a timeline quoted in last page. Any links please?
Also have the experts built the pzr IED with Inspire instructions or the materials bought by elder T?

We know he bought pzr cookers from Macys, toy remotes based on debris and fireworks materials in New Hampshire. Also has Massachusetts started instituting checks on travelers from NH for fireworks?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^ MA-NH border checks? not possible....literally tens of thousands of people cross the border on multiple roads every day, incl a lot of people who live in NH border for lower cost of housing but work in MA. there are also tons of small country roads.
and what if the purchaser makes a slight detour to vermont and enters from the west.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote:There was a timeline quoted in last page. Any links please?
Also have the experts built the pzr IED with Inspire instructions or the materials bought by elder T?

We know he bought pzr cookers from Macys, toy remotes based on debris and fireworks materials in New Hampshire. Also has Massachusetts started instituting checks on travelers from NH for fireworks?
ramana u r uzng sms lnguage. r u typing frm a mob fone?
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

ramana wrote:Today Ombaba said:
"Based on what I've seen so far, the FBI performed its duties, the Department of Homeland Security did what it was supposed to be doing,"
Yet the bombing happened.
Coming from a boss, that is a relatively low level of performance assessment--just did enough work to not get fired is what it means.

Obama also said, something to the effect that, apparently some of us are still stuck in a cold war mindset.

Taking all that together, I take Obama's assurance of an investigation into the FBI handling of the info from the Russians as more than just boilerplate platitude.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

@NicollaHewitt: #SaudiArabia 'warned the United States IN WRITING about Boston Bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev http://t.co/79iLzIgPel @MailOnline #BostonBombing

Named 3 pakis as well. DHS officially deny receiving letter but other anon official admitting that they received it.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Added Later: (5/1/2012 - 7PM ED) Daily Mail story does not look credible...
^^^ From above link from Daily Mail:

- Saudis developed intelligence separately from Russia, which also warned the U.S (And UK etc)

- A letter to the Department of Homeland Security allegedly named Tsarnaev and three Pakistanis as potential jihadis worthy of U.S. investigation

-Red flags - included Tsarnaev's name and information about a planned explosive attack on a major U.S. city

- Saudi foreign minister, national security chief both met with Obama in the oval office in early 2013 (May or may not be significant as far as them telling it to W- In 2012 - Also denied visa to TT to visit the SA (for Haj)

- was based on human intelligence developed independently in Yemen.

- Saudi government also denied an entry visa to the elder Tsarnaev brother in December 2011, when he hoped to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, the source said. Tsarnaev's plans to visit Saudi Arabia have not been previously disclosed.

'Link given in above post : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317493/Saudi-official-Kingdom-warned-United-States-IN-WRITING-Boston-Bomber-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev-2012-rejected-application-entry-visa-visit-Mecca-2011.html#ixzz2S2vcc37X

From News paper also:
An official from Homeland Security denied the department had received any such warning from Saudi Arabia.

"DHS has no knowledge of any communication from the Saudi government regarding information on the suspects in the Boston Marathon Bombing prior to the attack," an unnamed offical told the Daily Mail.
Last edited by Amber G. on 02 May 2013 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Garooda
BRFite

Post by Garooda »

Couple more things since the Saudi Intelligence agency had warned in 2012. The russian warning is not connected to domestic terrorism though.

New Warning From Russia
TEL AVIV – Russia delivered to the Obama administration a list of the names of al-Qaida members among the Syrian rebels, who are receiving arms shipments coordinated by the U.S., according to informed Middle Eastern security officials.
And now a fresh attack in Dagestan.
New Attack In Dagestan
Six people, including two teenagers, were reportedly killed in two separate attacks in Dagestan, a Russian region in the Caucasus mountains plagued by an ongoing Islamic insurgency.

Independent Russian news agency Interfax reports that two teenagers died when a bomb planted in a package exploded outside a housewares shop in the Dagestani capital of Makhachkala today. The package had been left on the side of the road near the shop, and the teenagers, aged 15 and 17, were killed trying to open it, according to a Dagestani interior ministry official. Two other teenagers were wounded in the explosion.

Dagestan and the rest of the Caucasus republics of Russia have been the site of a long-running Islamic insurgency against Moscow and its local allies. In 1999, Russian forces invaded Chechnya, located just west of Dagestan, to squelch a regional separatist movement. Over the years, the movement has radicalized into an Islamist terrorist operation, which has launched repeated deadly attacks over the years both in the Caucasus and against the Russian homeland, including Moscow itself.

The Causasus have come under greater scrutiny from the West recently, due to the Boston Marathon bombers' connections with the region. The parents of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev both live in Dagestan, and in 2012, Tamerlan reportedly visited relatives there. Neither brother registered on Dagestani security forces' radar however, The Christian Science Monitor reported.

The Dagestani Interior Ministry, the main law enforcement body in the Caspian republic of Dagestan, where Tsarnaev spent as many as seven months in 2012 visiting relatives, said in a statement Saturday that "the Tsarnaev brothers are not on our databases of those wanted." :roll:

The independent Interfax agency quoted a source in the Chechen security service as saying that "according to our information, these people did not appear on the republic's territory." Interfax also quoted a senior security source in Moscow, presumably from the FSB secret service, as also denying any knowledge of the Tsarnaevs. "Since the brothers Tsarnaev lived outside Russia, our special services were unable to provide our foreign partners with any operationally relevant information," :| This is contradicting. the source is quoted as saying
Below link indicates that they were on the watch list. Which one is true? :?: as the above link indicated that they were not on their radar and watchlist.
I guess there aren't reliable/credible sources left even on the internet? MSM sucks big time thats for sure.

TT was on the Russian watchlist
MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) - Russian agents placed the elder Boston bombing suspect under surveillance during a six-month visit to southern Russia last year, then scrambled to find him when he suddenly disappeared after police killed a Canadian jihadist, a security official told The Associated Press.

U.S. law enforcement officials have been trying to determine whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev was indoctrinated or trained by militants during his visit to Dagestan, a Caspian Sea province that has become the center of a simmering Islamic insurgency.

The security official with the Anti-Extremism Center, a federal agency under Russia's Interior Ministry, confirmed the Russians shared their concerns. He told the AP that Russian agents were watching Tsarnaev, and that they searched for him when he disappeared two days after the July 2012 death of the Canadian man, This would be the dude that I had posted the images yesterday along with links who had joined the Islamic insurgency in the region. The official spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.

Security officials suspected ties between Tsarnaev and the Canadian - an ethnic Russian named William Plotnikov - according to the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, which is known for its independence and investigative reporting and cited an unnamed official with the Anti-Extremism Center, which tracks militants. The newspaper said the men had social networking ties that brought Tsarnaev to the attention of Russian security services for the first time in late 2010.

It certainly wouldn't be surprising if the men had met. Both were amateur boxers of roughly the same age whose families had moved from Russia to North America when they were teenagers. In recent years, both had turned to Islam and expressed radical beliefs. And both had traveled to Dagestan, a republic of some 3 million people.

The AP could not independently confirm whether the two men had communicated on social networks or crossed paths either in Dagestan or in Toronto, where Plotnikov had lived with his parents and where Tsarnaev had an aunt.

After Plotnikov was killed, Tsarnaev left suddenly for the U.S., not waiting to pick up his new Russian passport - ostensibly one of his main reasons for coming to Russia. The official said his sudden departure was considered suspicious.

Plotnikov's father told the Canadian network CBCNews on Monday that his son had broken off contact when he returned to Russia in 2010 and he had no way of knowing whether his son knew Tsarnaev.

In an August interview with the Canadian newspaper National Post, Vitaly Plotnikov said his son, who was 23 when he died, had converted to Islam in 2009 and quickly became radicalized. But he said he fully understood what his son was up to in Russia only when he received photographs and videos after his death.

Plotnikov had been detained in Dagestan in December 2010 on suspicion of having ties to the militants and during his interrogation was forced to hand over a list of social networking friends from the United States and Canada who like him had once lived in Russia, Novaya Gazeta reported.

The newspaper said Tsarnaev's name was on that list, bringing him for the first time to the attention of Russia's secret services.

Novaya Gazeta, which is part-owned by former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and wealthy businessman Alexander Lebedev, has regularly criticized the Kremlin. One of its best known reporters, Anna Politkovskaya, angered the Kremlin with her reporting from Chechnya, and her 2006 murder in a Moscow elevator was widely presumed to have been in connection with her journalistic work.

The Islamic insurgency in Dagestan grew out of the fierce fighting between Russian troops and separatists in neighboring Chechnya that raged in the 1990s. Attacks now are carried out almost daily in Dagestan against police and security forces, who respond with special operations of their own to wipe out the militants.

Plotnikov was among seven suspected militants killed on July 14 during a standoff with police in the Dagestani village of Utamysh, according to the official police record.

After Plotnikov's death, Russian security agents lost track of Tsarnaev and went to see his father in Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan, who told them that his son had returned to the U.S., Novaya Gazeta said.

The agents did not believe the father, since Tsarnaev had left without picking up his new Russian passport, and they continued to search for him, the newspaper reported.

The Russians later determined that Tsarnaev had flown to Moscow on July 16 and to the United States the following day, the newspaper said. Tsarnaev arrived in New York on July 17.

Russian migration officials have said they were puzzled that Tsarnaev applied for the passport but left before it was ready.

His father, Anzhor Tsarnaev, said last week that his elder son stayed with him while waiting for the passport to be processed. He could not be reached Tuesday for comment on the Novaya Gazeta report.

The Tsarnaev family had lived briefly in Dagestan before moving to the United States a decade ago. Both parents returned to Dagestan last year.

The official with Russia's Anti-Extremism Center said Tsarnaev was filmed attending a mosque in Makhachkala whose worshippers adhere to a more radical strain of Islam. The official would give no further details about what the Russian security services knew about Tsarnaev's activities in Dagestan or about any possible connection to Plotnikov.

The AP was unable to determine whether the official was the same one who provided the information to Novaya Gazeta.

Plotnikov had settled in Utamysh, a small village about 70 kilometers (40 miles) from Makhachkala. It was not known whether he had spent any significant amount of time in Dagestan's capital.

Novaya Gazeta said Tsarnaev was also seen in the company of Mahmud Nidal - a man who was both Palestinian and Kumyk, one of the dozens of ethnic groups living in Dagestan - and who was believed to have ties to Islamic militants in the southern Russian region.

Nidal was killed in May 2012 after refusing to give himself up to security forces that had surrounded a house in Makhachkala, according to official police records.

Shortly after Plotnikov identified Tsarnaev during his December 2010 interrogation, the Russian secret services, the FSB, studied Tsarnaev's pages on social networking sites and asked the FBI for more information, the Russian newspaper said.

The FBI has acknowledged receiving the request. The U.S. agency said it opened an investigation, but when no evidence of terrorism was found and no further information from the Russians was forthcoming, the case was closed in June 2011. Yeah right ! 8)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

News item:

Prosthetics makers to assist Boston bombing victims

I have read that Jaipur foot has been very successful.. Also recently heard that they (Jaipur prosthetic footJ were working with Stanford University to create a prosthetic hand that may cost about $20

Here is Time article about this very impressive prosthetic from Jaipur..
THE $28 FOOT
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Why did the tsarnaev parents return to dagestan ? Were they denied us citizenship ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shiv, Satan never sleeps!!!

AmberG, Thanks for all the links.

So the plot thickens. Everyone is claiming to have Tsarnev on their radar and informing the US. If KSA also informed the US then it makes it a wonderment at how the KSA student was suspected and 'deported' as the first option.

All it needs is TSP to chime in also about how they informed the US.

OT thought. Was the Tsarnev like the lure to draw out Chechen terrorists? Everyone he is supposed to have met ends up dead.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

The father has cancer. Wants to die in homeland.

Mother shoplifted was likely to go to prison so fled the country.