Indian Space Programme Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion

Post by KrishG »

Varoon Shekhar wrote: Thanks! What does the 7.5 in CE 7.5 signify? Guess this is where I'm confused/malinformed.

On the whole then, which of the 2 engines is the more powerful? Not to imply any kind of direct competition here.
7.5 means 7.5 tonnes of thrust. 7.5 tonnes of thrust = 75 kN of thrust
CE20 generates 20 tonnes of thrust which is same as 200kN.
SCE200 (semicryo engine) generates 200 tonnes of thrust which same as 2000kN or 2MN.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Thanks KrishG, relatively simple, and I really should have known!

So how long did the Indian cryo engine operate for last Sunday? While watching the video of the launch, it appears that it ignited at around 300 seconds into the flight, and shut off just after 1000 seconds, for a total combustion time of 700 seconds. Correct?
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

300 sec CS ignition and 1012 engine shut off .. ~712 sec

later all GSLVs will use the cryo engine that develops 90 kN ton of thrust, against 75 kN and they will carry 15 ton of propellant against 12.8 ton now possibly giving a longer burn time

just a thought : having the current CE 7.5 in the mark 3 sub-orbital flight could have been something that could have been thought about and
tried if feasible something like a GSLV Mk 2.5 , then when CE 20 was available we could have GSLV MK 3 followed by
semi-cryo 1st stage as Mk3.5 and finally a more powerful CE - 60 as Mk.4
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

CUS fired for 720 seconds as per the ISRO brochure
On reviewing the ISRO video, CUS firing occurred at approx 300 seconds (the announcer said around 293 seconds and the announcement was on the board at 300.5 sec)and CUS shut off at 1011-1012 seconds (I saw the announcement of CUS shut off at 1011 sec whereas the TV reporter told it would stop at 1012 sec) though I think the automated systems would start and shut off depending on real time parameters that would not be supplied to us so the CUS stage actually fired for approx between 711 -719 seconds though I doubt the actual values will be given publicly.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

dhiraj wrote: later all GSLVs will use the cryo engine that develops 90 kN ton of thrust, against 75 kN and they will carry 15 ton of propellant against 12.8 ton now possibly giving a longer burn time
Some interesting tidbits!

GSLV MkII variants (NOTE: GS2 has already contains 40 tons of propellant.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5LtcM4c1SxM/U ... 1f_010.jpg
dhiraj wrote:just a thought : having the current CE 7.5 in the mark 3 sub-orbital flight could have been something that could have been thought about and
tried if feasible something like a GSLV Mk 2.5
Changes to b made are too complex and time consuming for just a single flight.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The Indian Space Saga
Book by Prof. U.R. Rao reviewed.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

ISRO yet to pick up rover built by IIT-K
ISRO had given a project to IIT Kanpur to develop a rover to be launched with Chandrayaan-II, which the university's scientists completed in 2010, but the space agency was yet to pick it up and make part payment to the institute, according to its professor.

When contacted, an Indian Space Research Organisation official said in Bangalore that they will take some time to respond.

"In 2009, ISRO's Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram had given a project to IIT Kanpur's mechanical engineering and electrical engineering departments to build a rover that would be launched along with Chandrayaan-II," Prof K S Venkatesh of IIT Kanpur's electrical engineering department said.

"ISRO had promised to give us Rs 7.5 lakh for the project, of which Rs 3.75 lakh was paid up front," he said.

The IIT-K professor said scientists at the institute had completed building the rover, weighing 100 kgs, in October 2010, after which it was "gathering dust" in a lab in the institute.

"Repeated phone calls and letters to ISRO failed to yield any result. Every time, ISRO scientists would assure us that they are coming soon to collect the rover, but till now no one has come," he said.

The professor said building the rover had cost much more than Rs 7.5 lakh, which the institute had paid, and that ISRO should at least pay the remaining amount due to IIT-K.

When asked about the possible reasons for ISRO not accepting the rover, Venkatesh said Chandrayaan-II was set to be launched in 2017, which could be why ISRO was not showing any haste in acquiring it.

The professor said his colleagues at the institute had realised that the project to build the rover, which would pick up samples from the Moon's surface and bring them back to Earth, would cost much more than Rs 7.5 lakh and had initially refused to take it up.

"However, the then IIT-K Director Sanjay Govind Dhande had insisted that the project would get the institute international fame and that IIT-K would pitch in with the money," he said.

According to him, IIT-K spent Rs 29 lakh on the project.

He said on completion of the project in October 2010, the team had contacted ISRO scientists by phone and letters, informing them that the rover was ready and they could come to inspect it. However, no one has come to claim the rover yet, he said.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
Disreputable behaviour from ISRO here. They have also been dubious on the whole GSAT-10 Tata Sky spat.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

KrishG wrote:dhiraj wrote:
just a thought : having the current CE 7.5 in the mark 3 sub-orbital flight could have been something that could have been thought about and
tried if feasible something like a GSLV Mk 2.5

Changes to b made are too complex and time consuming for just a single flight.
I did not mean a GSLV MK 2.5 for just a single flight, rather a proper launch vehicle version for ISRO.
After the cryo success we have all the ingredients for a 4.3 tonne GTO capability like the Ariane 4. So why not leverage this benefit. Cost could be a factor definitely. But at least this details give me a satisfaction that if needed even with the current capability ISRO can try for a > 4 tonne GTO launch
VineethG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VineethG »

I was checking out the design strategy chosen by the Chinese for their rockets, and how it contrasted with ours. One fact that struck me most was that they don't seem to have possessed engines far more powerful than our own. They seem to have an aversion to solids just like their Russian counterparts, possibly due to the origin of their rockets on liquid fuelled missiles. Their most powerful hypergolic and cryo engines only had roughly as much thrust have ours, but they chose to cluster them in larger diameter stages to achieve higher payload capabilities. For instance, the equivalent of GSLV in their rocket fleet is the Long March 3A (CZ-3A) with its GTO capability of 2.6 tonnes.

1. Its first stage had four YF-20B engines of around 800kN thrust each in a clustered formation to give a total thrust of 2,961 kN, a bit more powerful than what the similar 4 engine cluster of L40 Vikas (with 680 kN each) would be in GS1 stage, minus the huge S139 solid. But its burn time of 130s was lower than L40's 160s.
2. Its second stage had a single YF-22B with 788.4 kN similar to GS2 with its 720 kN Vikas. Again the burn time of the Chinese stage was lower at 110s against GS2's 150.
3. Finally, its upper stage used two YF-75 cryos with 78.45 kN each as against our GS3 with a a single CE-7.5 of around 75kN. Again the burn time of Chinese stage was lower at 470s against GS3's 720s.

The Isp of Chinese stages were comparable to our own too.

Sources
http://braeunig.us/space/specs/lgmarch.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSLV
http://www.astronautix.com/engines/yf20b.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YF-75

On the whole it gives me the impression that the CZ-3A would have far less liftoff thrust than our GSLV due to absence of a solid stage, and their stages had lower burn time as well, but they compensated through having two upper stage cryo engines to achieve equivalent capability? More crucially, strapping 4 additional strapons of YF-20Bs around the higher diameter core of CZ-3A gave them a launch vehicle having double GTO payload capability of 5 tonne (GSLV-III class) in the form of CZ-3B. A 2 strapon solution gave them CZ-3C to bridge the gap between the two. A seemingly effective approach considering that these launch vehicles have served China quite well. CZ-3A seems to have had a spotless record of 23 successes in 23 missions, while CZ-3B had 23 successes out of 25 missions. CZ-3C also seems to have had a dream run of 10 successes out of 10 launches. (Or because failed launches were not announced to the outside world, except commercial ones?)

Overall, it gives an impression of an approach of maximum reuse of existing engines through clustering. Not sure if what have I have mentioned above gives the whole picture. But was it the inherent complexity of cluster designs and ISRO's desire to keep launch costs low through maximum use of solids that prevented them from considering such a liquid cluster solution (till GSLV-III's L-110 was considered)?
Last edited by VineethG on 15 Jan 2014 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Does having longer burn times mean it provide better more efficient thrust?

Looks like Chinese have mastered the art of firing multiple clustered engines without throwing the rocket off target. Is this a difficult path to pursue or it is just a matter of software engineering.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

It seems that today we are equal to Or more advanced than China in technology but we have not leveraged the technology to increase our GTO ability. We keep on striving towards next technological challenge rather than first use already developed technology. Our INSAT series provided only 1/4th of potential demand, so why don't we accelerate our launch schedule?BECAUSE we need to save money to waste!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Currently, the scientists are developing crew capsule recovery parachutes for India's space programmes. “The design validation process with appropriate ground test are progressing at the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory in Chandigarh. It's a new area for us as the crew module has to be stable while landing. We have to ensure that the initial shock should not be very heavy, the speed reduction should be slow and limited to the human capability. The idea is to stabilise the crew module

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Good to review the ASLV failures, but a key point the author missed out with respect ASLV failure to GSLV

The first two ASLV's didn't had the fins. SLV-3 had fins, but it was removed for ASLV, the idea was that SITVC will take care of the controls. But it didn't go that way

The fins also found their way to GSLV. PSLV didn't had fins
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

One of the biggest lessons learnt from the ASLV failures was that during the atmospheric phase of the flight, when the dynamic pressure is the most on the vehicle, there cannot be any time where control elements could be lacking.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

The wiki article on the ASLV mentions the 3rd launch( on May 20/1992) as a partial failure, because the satellite orbit achieved was lower than desired.

Yet, the Frontline article( in my possession) entitled "Soaring Confidence", covering the mission is very upbeat and positive, and merely states that the lower orbit detracted from the overall grand success of the vehicle. The article has many quotes from scientists praising the mission. There's a line from U.R Rao saying "We have put quite a number of monitoring instruments on top of the vehicle. This is a flight for proving the vehicle. So let us not worry about the satellite. The monitoring instruments were there to provide more information in case the flight failed".

This kind of particularity is missed by Wiki and by similar general descriptions of the flight. Also, despite the lower than expected orbit, the satellite, SROSS-3, did detect two gamma ray bursts in its short lifespan of 55 days. A bit of info absent in Wiki et al.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

ASLV was to test critical technologies required for PSLV and GSLV, a satisfactory launch is enough. Accuracy was not the main concern, originally around 7 flights were planned for ASLV from 1985 for each year until PSLV came online by 1993
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:Yet, the Frontline article( in my possession) entitled "Soaring Confidence",
Can you share an online link for the above.

BTW i really miss the ASLV launch video, also the first few PSLV and GSLV launch video.

Can anyone please share a link for the above. TIA
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ASLV to PSLV was a huge leap for the ISRO. ASLV was quite a puny little rocket in comparison, but considering the teething troubles with SLV and ASLV, the relative stability of the PSLV platform as a medium range launcher is a massive step that the ISRO successfully made.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

dhiraj wrote:
Varoon Shekhar wrote:Yet, the Frontline article( in my possession) entitled "Soaring Confidence",
Can you share an online link for the above.

BTW i really miss the ASLV launch video, also the first few PSLV and GSLV launch video.

Can anyone please share a link for the above. TIA
AFAIK, there is no online link for the Frontline article written by T.S Subramanian, in the June 19th, 1992 issue of "Frontline". I bought this issue way back then, and I'm glad I saved it! :) . I also have the "India Today" issue covering the first PSLV launch and failure/near miss. I might scan one or both articles and put them on the BR forum.
rahuls
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuls »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:The wiki article on the ASLV mentions the 3rd launch( on May 20/1992) as a partial failure, because the satellite orbit achieved was lower than desired.
This kind of particularity is missed by Wiki and by similar general descriptions of the flight. Also, despite the lower than expected orbit, the satellite, SROSS-3, did detect two gamma ray bursts in its short lifespan of 55 days. A bit of info absent in Wiki et al.
Don't expect much from wiki, their editors are hell bent on degrading our missions. GSLV-F04 is still shown as "Partial Failure". I got into an argument with their so called editors and they said that they are experts in their field and their word is final despite the contrary results as evidenced by INSAT-4CR still being operational. I guess, even when 4CR crosses its designed life, they won't change the result. What would they have classified the result into, if ISRO does not say anything about the minor anomalies in the orbit achieved in their press reports? I guess other space agencies do not mention anything about errors in the orbits achieved in their press reports.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

^
That's a good point. ISRO and DRDO release more technical details about launches and tests compared to other agencies world wide (my observation, could be wrong) I wonder whether it is because it is hard to convince us Indians about an Indian achievement. It reminds me of a thread opened by Shivji to discuss that Indian mentality.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

partha wrote:^
That's a good point. ISRO and DRDO release more technical details about launches and tests compared to other agencies world wide (my observation, could be wrong) I wonder whether it is because it is hard to convince us Indians about an Indian achievement. It reminds me of a thread opened by Shivji to discuss that Indian mentality.
True, we are so disparaging of anything desi that we won't believe in a genuine desi achievement. To top it all, the technical details don't help, as many people shut off when provided with voluminous details, or don't read them on their preferred news outlets (BBC, CNN, for instance). People are only happy with Apollo 13ish Hollywood propaganda, anything else is not good enough. Even 2 weeks ago, I was arguing with a fellow desi who contended India should not waste money on space when there is so much poverty (sounded like a copy pasted line from BBC).

The tech details are good for us jingos, but not for the aam janta. Time ISRO/GoI dedicated some money to finance some films, and bring these into popular discourse. I am not talking about NFDC documentaries shown during the interval, when people just go for a smoke/visit the loo, but professionally made realistic Apollo 13/Gravity kind of flicks, where the gov funding is not visible. Heck, even a Swades talked about NASA, and only the ignorance of the villagers about satellites for weather forecasting - not much about ISRO.
VineethG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VineethG »

Maybe we do not need to consider that negatively, more so in case the shortfall in GSLV-F04 was due to the Russian cryo stage. It depends a lot on how they define 'partial failure' though. Maybe they classified it so, as the initial orbit achieved fell outside the target error variance for the launcher, even if the payload itself compensated for it through its thrusters. However, as rightly pointed out, this also means that it relies on the extent of transparency of the agency about these launch details. It is quite possible that by this definition, many classified launches performed worldwide (especially Chinese ones) that are currently classified as 'success' could instead have been 'partial successes' as the respective agencies may not have divulged much of details regarding what the intended parking orbits of their spacecrafts were.
VineethG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VineethG »

Just a couple of greenhorn questions regarding usage solids and semi-cryo on future launchers.. Apologies if these have been discussed earlier already.

I know there are lot of cost advantages for solids in commercial launches. But how good is the idea to use them in a manned launcher? I have read in many places that solids have an inherent danger in that they cannot be shut off once started. A second aspect mentioned was the vibrations that solids create in the launcher when it is in operation. Despite this, NASA went for solids in their Space Shuttle and even in the upcoming SLS. There doesn't seem to be that many publicized instances of solids malfunctioning, but two prominent examples that were catastrophic enough were the Challenger disaster and VLS-1 explosion in Brazil. To what extent can these failures be attributed to the inherent 'risk' of solids, or is such a 'risk' merely an exaggerated one?

Also, since ISRO is developing a 2000kN semi-cryo, it seems to raise interesting possibilities of its use in a cluster without solids. Would a configuration with two such 2000kN semic-cryos as the core stage and the 200kN cryo as the upper stage achieve GSLV3 class payload? Atlas V achieves this capability through a two chamber RD-180 in the first stage and 100 kN cryo in the upper stage, although RD-180 has an edge over the hypothetical Indian semi-cryo cluster due to its slightly higher thrust and lesser weight owing to it being a single engine. Yet another factor to consider in such a design could be the engineering problems associated with a higher diameter stage required for accommodating the cluster, similar to what the Chinese faced for their Long March 5. If at all such a configuration is feasible, it could potentially serve as a candidate for future manned launches, with the capability to launch heavier manned spacecrafts through using boosters with single/dual 2000kN semi-cryo stages as strapons instead of solids.

I know its a too simplistic view and one that is quite too early to say anything about, as ISRO is yet to start the development of semi-cryo in full swing. But was just wondering..
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

At least the Indian SRB's have never let down either the PSLV or GSLV till now so hopefully nothing to worry on this front.

But I have one serious complain against ISRO.
If the ultimate aim is self reliance for launch of heavier satellites then why was clustering of Vikas engine not considered as a serious option since it has been with us since the early 90's.

Falcon 9 uses 9 clustered Merlin engines.
Mk.3 now will use only 2 Vikas engine.

Maybe some experts could suggest otherwise but if we were ready with say a stage with 4 clustered Vikas engine with longer burn time available now then along with the S-200 and the CE-15 (15 tonne / 90 KN cryo) ISRO could have a vehicle now to take care of
around the 3.5 T Insat series without any dependency on CE-20 and Semi-cryo
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

Anyone having a first hand experience in successfully receiving GAGAN singal in India ??

Having searched the net , it appears GAGAN signal are from satellite(PRN) number 40 & 41. My own GPS having WAAS capabilities is not finding any satellite beyond 34.
member_25400
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_25400 »

dhiraj wrote: why was clustering of Vikas engine not considered as a serious option
Clustering of engines is not simple, either. Control issues, and (depending on configuration), complex and heavy plumbing are common. This can also result in reliability issues. The Soviet Union moon rocket tried to make up for lack of large engines (which the saturn V had) by clustering. It failed and was covered up. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket) ]. Also the rocket equation suggests that heavier and larger payloads result in substantial weight penalty for the rocket itself (mass fraction > 0.9 means for every kg payload,9 kg rocket needs to be present; heavier rocket structure at prior stages will have similar impact including greater operational cost). Hence it is reasonable to look for higher efficiency upper stage engines; and augment the first stage by boosters. It is rocket science after, all :). The goal of GSLV was to extend the PSLV technology to a geosynchronous launch capability in the most straightforward way. hence any risk associated with clustering would presumably have been sought to be reduced. Of course, several missteps and unfortunate occurrences happened on the way to delay the execution; but doesn't necessarily invalidate the thinking

Falcon is truly an outstanding achievement from a technology base that is far more advanced than India, several decades later (than GSLV origin), and led by a visionary genius. It is not fair to compare to GSLV; it is closer to the exception than the rule.
member_25400
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_25400 »

Hitesh wrote:Does having longer burn times mean it provide better more efficient thrust?.
No, Specific Impulse (Isp) is a measure of efficiency (fuel/mass efficiency) of an engine. Longer burn time means that the engine systems do need to be reliable to that extent.
Of course, running an engine longer means that total thrust (and fuel) will of course be more.

Of course, any engine and nozzle are designed for particular range of atmospheric pressure. This compromise can limit efficiency of initial stages during ascent by a little bit. But this is secondary or tertiary effect and not really applicable in other cases (eg mangalyaan orbit raising/transfer injection firings in near vacuum). The rocket goes up first (and speeds up horizontally later) to reduce the friction effect from thick atmosphere and incidentally reduce these secondary complications
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Video: Is India’s space program worth the money?

Transcript:
www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/world/jan-june1 ... 01-18.html

Is India’s space program worth the money?
pbs.org | Jan 18th 2014

HARI SREENIVASAN: In early November, India launched a 320 ton rocket - on a mission to Mars.

If all goes according to plan, the Indian spacecraft will travel 485 million miles over more than 10 months, and go into the orbit around Mars in September. The U.S., former Soviet Union, and the European Space Agency are the only ones to have accomplished the feat.

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: It is a challenging task, a complex task.

HARI SREENIVASAN: Dr. K. Radhakrishnan is the director of the Indian Space Research Organization. He was one of the engineers looking on when the Mangalyaan - or Mars craft in Hindi – launched. The probe will be studying the atmosphere of Mars and looking for traces of methane, which could be a sign of previous life.

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: A lot of things are known about Mars, but there are several issues which are yet to be understood, understood precisely.

HARI SREENIVASAN: The mission to Mars is a source of immense national pride in India. But it might also signal a new Asian space race, and it’s already triggered a debate about the benefits of exploring another planet when so many Indians struggle for basic necessities.

Though it has been in existence for nearly 50 years, the very fact that India has a space program is unknown in much of the world. But since its inception, India has not only launched a mission to Mars, but has sent a probe to the moon, and has built and launched 70 satellites that do everything from measuring water resources to enabling mobile communications in rural India.

Radhakrishnan says that at its heart India’s space program is meant to improve life for India’s 1.2 billion people.

One critical mission: to predict where and when storms will hit land, so people in the storm’s path can be taken to safety.

In 1999 when a massive storm hit India’s east coast, more than 10,000 people died. But a few months ago when another powerful storm hit the same area only 21 people died. Nearly 1 million had been evacuated after early warning data from Indian satellites.

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: Part of the use of these Earth observation satellites is to provide services to the fisherman, to the farmer, to the decision maker at the grass-root level.

HARI SREENIVASAN: So how does understanding the atmosphere of Mars, or whether there was methane help the farmer or the fisherman in India?

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: It is not directly. Understanding of the atmosphere of Mars is not going to help him immediately, directly.

HARI SREENIVASAN: But he says technology from the Mars mission will help improve the satellites India has yet to launch, which will directly benefit ordinary Indian citizens.

But beyond the tangible scientific benefits, the feat of sending a rocket to Mars has been a huge point of pride for India.

As the Mars spacecraft left Earth’s orbit, Indians took to Twitter to express their excitement…A point echoed by Dr. Radhakrishnan, who says the mission has inspired the nation.

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: People are keeping awake in the night to see how the Mars orbiter operations are progressing. So if you can transform so many young minds. And they say yes, we need to take up a career in science, it is a big transformation for the country, for the future.

HARI SREENIVASAN: And working for the agency is prestigious. Hundreds of thousands of engineers have applied for just hundreds of slots at the space agency.

The pride is also in part for how little India spends to explore space. The Mars mission costs 4.5 billion rupees or just over $70 million dollars. Compare that to the MAVEN mission - a similar NASA probe that is also currently en route to Mars - that cost nearly ten times as much.

The savings are achieved in part because engineering labor is cheaper, the program recycles and adapts components like launch vehicles, and builds far fewer models, relying heavily on computer testing.

But spending any money on space exploration here is controversial. India is still a developing country where nearly a third of the population - about 400 million people - live on less than a dollar twenty-five a day.

Brinda Adige runs an NGO called Global Concerns India focused on women and children here in a slum in Bangalore less than 10 miles from the headquarters of the Indian space agency. She says she was sad when she first heard about the Mars mission.

BRINDA ADIGE: At one end of the spectrum so much of money that is being spent to send a rocket out into outer space, when we know that here on Earth, in my country there are children, dying every day because they have no food to eat. So many of them, spending their days and nights without electricity. No roads, no education no protection for women and the girl child anywhere in this country.

HARI SREENIVASAN: Do you think that if they didn’t spend the money on the satellite then they would spend the money on women and girl’s issues?

BRINDA ADIGE: No, they would not. They would not. The priorities are certainly not looking at children, woman, human beings who are need of basic necessities, just to live.

HARI SREENIVASAN: So you’re not against the science, just the priorities…

BRINDA ADIGE: Yes.

HARI SREENIVASAN: Adige gathered a group of women from this slum who echoed some of the same concerns.

HARI SREENIVASAN: I asked the group that given the millions being spent on the mission to mars, what kind of impact additional money could have in this neighborhood.

They described a litany of issues, including bad roads, lack of access to medical care, the high costs of education, and complaints about sanitation issues like sewage runoff after the rains and a lack of safe drinking water.

One of these women, Manoja, who works as a cook in a nicer part of town took us to her mother-in-law's house and showed us the contaminated water that comes out of her pipes.

MANOJA: All of this water in the house smells terrible.

HARI SREENIVASAN: It smelled rancid

This is the municipal water the family pays for from the city. They have to spend extra on trucked in clean drinking water.

But Dr. Radhakrishnan defends the Indian space program budget - in total about $1 billion dollars this year.

HARI SREENIVASAN: So on a global level, India’s program is incredibly inexpensive. On a local level it is still very hard for people to comprehend on the streets of Bangalore, spending so much money going to different planet?

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN. The question is in absolute terms when you talk about the $1 billion dollars that we spend annually is it providing the benefits to the people? Space is touching the lives of every man and woman in this country.

HARI SREENIVASAN: Radhakrishnan points out that the entire Indian space program accounts for one third of one percent of the nation’s budget.

Those numbers may make it easier to justify what may be a larger goal, competing with another superpower.

Just last month china became the third country behind the U.S. and the former Soviet Union to land a rover on the moon and China has successfully completed manned spaceflights, a feat several years away for India.

But in going to Mars, India could best its neighbor. The competition is a fuel India is reluctant to admit.

In November 2011, a joint Chinese-Russian mars mission failed.

HARI SREENIVASAN: Is there political pressure to keep up with the next door neighbor, China?

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: Each country has their own priorities, their own vision for the space program. India has its vision, China has its vision, we are pursuing our vision.

HARI SREENIVASAN: It doesn’t matter when China does what it does?

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: It does its program, we do our program.

HARI SREENIVASAN: But it was right after China’s failure that the Prime Minister here said here’s our priority, we are going to Mars.

DR. RADHAKRISHNAN: See, November 2013 is an opportune time for a mission to Mars. And such opportune times occurs only once every 26 months.

HARI SREENIVASAN: While the Indian launch date did capitalize on when the distance between mars and the earth is shorter, to critics like Brinda Adige, this is simply a space race.

BRINDA ADIGE: ‘You’ve gone to Mars, now I also have to go to Mars.’ You’ve reached moon? I must also go and see whether there’s water on moon or not? Whether my people down here in this country have drinking water or not is secondary. The question arises… to what end?

HARI SREENIVASAN: To administrators like Dr. Radhakrishan, success with the Mars mission is another step in helping the world see the red planet and India in a new way.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^ Why do they interview people like Brinda Adige when India achieves something? Why not speak to them when discussing Swiss bank accounts, corruption scandals, scams, luxury imports( including from the US)?
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

I dont understand why Indians and man like Radhakrishnan should indulge westerners by giving interviews to their channels and justify how we spend our money. I don't see this happening with the Russian or Chinese space agencies or even NASA chief give a interview to Indian journalist.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

mass fraction > 0.9 means for every kg payload,9 kg rocket needs to be present
That means, for a payload of 10 tons, you need a 90 ton rocket..which is fantastic! Some confusion there- are you talking of fuel fraction?
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Rony wrote:I dont understand why Indians and man like Radhakrishnan should indulge westerners by giving interviews to their channels and justify how we spend our money. I don't see this happening with the Russian or Chinese space agencies or even NASA chief give a interview to Indian journalist.
Good point. If these men do get interviewed by western media should point out that US owes the largest debt in the world which will never get paid and still continues to send space missions to all over the universe with printed money and no one questions.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

What s so important about restartable engine?

Why is the solid fuel unusable for manned spacecraft? the way I see it, the astronauts would have a better chance of survival if they make it to a suborbital and then crash down in a controlled descent as being opposed to liquid fuel being shut off too early in its ascent stage and the capsule not being able to clear the atmospheric pressure bearing down. I would surmise that it is more dangerous for the capsule to be ejected while in the ascent stage. It would be better to ride it out and then descent in a suborbital path.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Hitesh wrote:What s so important about restartable engine?
restartable engines are mainly used for upperstage as it gives the advantage of injecting satellites at particular orbit
irrespective of launch site or time of launch. Else the rocket need to reach the actual transfer orbit through continiuous
power. With restartable engine things work a bit differently and are complex especially in terms of re-ignition when cooled
Hitesh wrote:Why is the solid fuel unusable for manned spacecraft?
Space shuttle and proposed Ares rocket both used SRB so my understanding seems it is more of design approach.
Anyways the Chinese seemed to have followed the Russian way for manned mission
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

Rony wrote:I dont understand why Indians and man like Radhakrishnan should indulge westerners by giving interviews to their channels and justify how we spend our money. I don't see this happening with the Russian or Chinese space agencies or even NASA chief give a interview to Indian journalist.
Giving unwarranted explanations to others about one's decisions and behaviour is a sign of weakness. It automatically puts the listener in a position of authority. The better response would be to say: "Mind your own business since it is our money, not yours."
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

This is a Psy Ops interview and that title is a psy ops title to provoke the US audience which is the primary audience of PBS

The right answer for such questions is that Indian people and democratic representative have debated this for more than 50 year and have decided to put money into space industry. So other countries do not have right to question the Return on Investment
Its obvious benefit is the missile technology which is not discussed. Indian deterrence posture is based on countries such as PRC which had rocket technology helped by global powers including US.
HARI SREENIVASAN: Radhakrishnan points out that the entire Indian space program accounts for one third of one percent of the nation’s budget.

Those numbers may make it easier to justify what may be a larger goal, competing with another superpower.
This kind of discussion on another country's national program is fake.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Its a wrong question to ask, but then its a perception game again, each institution gets a slice of the national budget pie, and each institution has an efficiency factor, just because muncipal institutions are inefficient doesn't mean funds need to be transferred from efficient ones, its not a solution. Technology development has a long lead time cycle as the Cryogenic program proves so investments there cannot wait until India becomes second world. Next time I hope ISRO puts out a pie chart on the bigger picture of how national budget is being spent.