Vishnu wrote:I had the entire Mangalyaan team in our studios for a very special programme last night at 9 pm ...
http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/ndtv-s ... ion/344672
Excellent program which has given us some new info for the 1st time afaik:
* Mangalyaan is healthy and will last not for 6 months but for years (confirming what I had speculated right after Mars orbit was achieved ). Very little fuel is needed to remain in orbit by correcting orbit drift via thrusters and the on-board electricity generation is enough for internal systems and instruments, including data transmission and orientation of antenna via reaction wheels. The extra fuel (40kg instead of 20kg) offers the possibility of doing other stuff not originally planned.
* Mangalyaan is the only spacecraft on an equatorial orbit of Mars as opposed to polar orbit, thus offering a unique look at mars.
* Initial indications point to some gas signatures, specially during Siding Spring fly-by, although the data is still being studied.
* Even weather in South Pacific was considered for launch window in order for our ships to monitor the jettisoning of stages and injection into space.
* Trans Mars Injection date (Nov 30-Dec 1) was crucial as gravitational influences of all planets over the journey of 680 million km, 300 days in advance, was calculated in order to enter a window of 500 km, +/- 50 km, to enter Mars orbit.
* Golf analogy is teeing off from Bangalore and achieving a hole-in-one on a Los Angeles green.