Telugu States' News and Discussion

VenkataS
BRFite

Re: Telugu States' News and Discussion

Post by VenkataS »

The Telugu states are at the bottom of the table in these literacy rate rankings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_st ... eracy_rate
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... na-rivers/
“Polavaram Dam, from where water can be supplied to Krishna Basin, will take another 4-5 years to be ready. What we have done in the meanwhile is using Polavaram project’s canal we have diverted Godavari water from an existing dam into the Krishna basin. Every year about 3000 TMC of Godavari water flows away into the Bay of Bengal while there is hardly enough water in the Krishna. If we can harness even 200 to 300 TMC and divert it to Krishna basin then it can be pumped to Rayalaseema where all the reservoirs, tanks and lakes can be filled up. This interlinking through Pattiseema Project will help drought-proof the state and we won’t face water shortage even if rains are not good in a particular year,’’ Parkala Prabhakar, Advisor to AP CM, says.
YeeHaa. Hope it works as planned.
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

According to this article Andhra Pradesh spends the least among major states on Education (as a % of total expenditure). It explains APs lackluster performance in Education and in total literacy rate amongst the major states. Bihar's improvement in literacy over the last decade 2001-2011 was 16.82% was more than twice that of AP at 7.19%.

The following table from:
Gujarat vs Bihar: settling the development debate
http://giffenman-miscellania.blogspot.c ... ch-results

Education expense as a ratio of total expenditure
1.Maharashtra: 21.0%
2.Rajasthan: 19.1%
3.West Bengal: 18.3%
4.Bihar: 18.0%
5.Uttar Pradesh: 15.9%
6.Karnataka: 15.6%
7.Tamil Nadu: 14.7%
8.Gujarat: 13.9%
9.Madhya Pradesh: 13.1%
10.Andhra Pradesh: 11.5%
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

A lot of money is spent on Tollywood. Education has collapsed in AP.
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

Godavari and Krishna rivers are being interlinked today:

Engineers skip meals to meet Naidu’s deadline
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/a ... 656923.ece

This is awesome news! Hopefully AP will reap rich benefits from this in the years to come.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-post...
disha wrote:Was the split between AP/Telangana engineered by FF? Owaisis would be no where if they had not received the leg up from the Nizami Telangana government.

One way to cut back owaisis to size is to get KCR out of Telangana and prop up a NDA government.

I think a few factors to consider:

- US consulate in Hyderabad
- Large immigrant Telugu population in US
- Omar Khalidi in US creating his own Operatin Polo narrative
- Owaisi UK trained barrister
- MIM was revived by Congress in just after AP state re-organization.

Owaisi family owns lots of property along Musi river banks in Old City and will gain the most when the river bank clean up is completed.
yvijay
BRFite

Post by yvijay »

Owaisi got a lot of traction during the YSR's government. They were able to capture lot of MLA seats in Hyderabad with Congress help. From chaliwala sources, looks like KCR gave free hand to the police in dealing with jihadis and has appointed very capable officers to Commissioner and other executive posts. The police hands were tied during YSR regime due to his bonhomie with Owaisi.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

I am not an expert but bonhomies of Owaisi with YSR is something that was missed entirely during the whole AP state division. If there was such behind the scene link then a separate view is needed w.r.t. the entire pre-breakup state and not just in terms of Telangana/Seemandhra etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Actually RamaY ran simulations using Bruce DeBueno Mesquita's Predictioneer's game software. Many runs showed MIM and INC converging even without knowledge of YSR bonhomie.

In the end it AP division was not a game but a unilateral decision by Congress.

It stopped being a game with Raja's arrest in the 2G scam as it reduced DMK clout over UPA.

After that it was matter of time.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ramana wrote:X-post...
disha wrote:Was the split between AP/Telangana engineered by FF? Owaisis would be no where if they had not received the leg up from the Nizami Telangana government.

One way to cut back owaisis to size is to get KCR out of Telangana and prop up a NDA government.

I think a few factors to consider:

- US consulate in Hyderabad
- Large immigrant Telugu population in US
- Omar Khalidi in US creating his own Operatin Polo narrative
- Owaisi UK trained barrister
- MIM was revived by Congress in just after AP state re-organization.

Owaisi family owns lots of property along Musi river banks in Old City and will gain the most when the river bank clean up is completed.
Long before I told it is Seemandhra they wanted to separate. United AP was playing Muslims vs Christians vs Hindus game. Hindus could play minorities against each other (visible during YSR and CBN reservation politics). Now it Muslims vs Hindus in T and Christians vs Hindus in AP.

One side effect is Hinduness is growing in AP and T. BJP should co-opt with TDP and tap into that, Hinduness esp among SC-Hindus and SC-closet-Christians. During my recent visit I myself got request to help heavily for building temple for them.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

I hear rumours of yeevil yindoos planning "joint" temples - having side-by-side idols and worship of Bishnoo, Seeva and haysoos, kosta side. While Yindooism will hardly shake even a mite (what's one more in the pantheon, eh?), the effect on the churchists will be enormous onlee... Sound idea if implemented well...

Expect full pakiness and mouth-foaming as the measured response from the paad-ray class...

What's that that Neitzsche once (in) famously said ... That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger...Well, yindooism must be oh-so-supermighty by now then...
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

VenkataS wrote:Godavari and Krishna rivers are being interlinked today:

This is awesome news! Hopefully AP will reap rich benefits from this in the years to come.
What is the Cost benefit for this?

How much % of water that is going into into ocean will be routed to irrigation/drinking?
Dasari
BRFite

Post by Dasari »

vivek.rao wrote:
VenkataS wrote:Godavari and Krishna rivers are being interlinked today:

What is the Cost benefit for this?

How much % of water that is going into into ocean will be routed to irrigation/drinking?
On the outside it looks very romantic that we joined two rivers that are only 100km away. It is great for feel good consumption. But underneath it is the same dirty politics that was responsible for the destruction of the erstwhile AP state.

The Polavaram canal without any work on the actual dam was completed on both sides, Yet, the water is being released to the right canal for an area that is not starving for any water - still producing 3 crops per year. It is not that water is not being released to sea from parkasam barrage. Infact, inspite of almetti, narayanpur, jurala upstream dams, smore than 500 tmc of water goes to sea from Krishna. But there is difference in flood timing between Goadavri and Krishna, while later is very unreliable. This water is to fill that deficit so that Krishna delta has water throughout the year where as the lands under the left canal are not so lucky because they don't have the excuse like diverting the Godavari water will provide water to Rayalaseema.

This kind of filthy politics from this region is the main cause of the split of AP. Sadly, it is continuing until another KCR type exploit this and incite rest of the state.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ShyamSP, Please give details of the request and lets see if we can crowd source in Bay Area.
Am very serious.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ramana wrote:ShyamSP, Please give details of the request and lets see if we can crowd source in Bay Area.
Am very serious.
Definitely I'll provide. Right now it is in plans with fairly good ideas on what to build - grama devatha/kula devatha for harijans.

Person in india is working on land, local help and funding, and funding from devadhaya shaka. Once concrete plan finalized. I'll approach you and others. Our family built two temples but never for Harijans. That is reason they approached me.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Good Move:

Tirumala to train dalits, make them priests
TIRUPATI: In a sharp departure from tradition, the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams has decided to train non-Brahmins in temple rituals and practices. About 200 people from dalit and backward communities will be given rigorous training for three months as part of a pilot project. To begin with, the beneficiaries will be selected from Chittoor and West Godavari districts.

This is the first time that the administration of the world's richest temple is offering a certificate course in Vedic rituals for dalits and backward classes. Earlier, the TTD had conducted several short training sessions for tribal priests in Vedic rituals. But now, the training will be full-fledged with a certificate awarded at the end of the programme.

"The TTD will train youths from downtrodden sections of society in temple rituals. We will focus on people living in remote and backward areas. The endowments department, in association with the TTD, will also build temples in far-flung villages. Once the training session is over, these youths will be handed over the task of daily rituals in those proposed temples," AP endowments minister P Manikyala Rao said.

The TTD had earlier launched a similar initiative, Dalita Govindam, to spread the Hindu Dharma in Dalit hamlets by training the youths in offering 'prasadam' to the deity. "It was a week-long programme. They were simply trained in offering 'prasadam' and a couple of rituals. There was no follow-up action either. Now we will take up a comprehensive training program," said an official in the endowments department. The TTD will conduct the certificate program in Sri Venkateswara Vedic University.

As part of the certificate program, about 100 youth each from West Godavari and Chittoor districts will be trained in 'Smartha' traditions. Smartha deals with all types of common rituals in a family including fixing muhurthams for weddings. The training programme will focus on the general tenets of the Vedic religion, evolution of temple system, the dos and don'ts of idol worship and rituals, and conduct of festivals among other things. During the training session, the priests-to-be should wake up before the sunrise, perform yoga and recite the prescribed mantras before attending to the classroom. The TTD will, however, not employ the trained youth.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

A very good move by TTD. I am also sure that the youth will measure up to the task. Why not employ them too? May be some family tradition.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Certificates - I am worried about long term. Will TTD be the sole authority of these certificates?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Yes, that could be a problem. On the other hand if it simply a proof-of-concept and they share the template (process), other denominations can adopt it as well. Are the caste problems as acute in vaishnava, madhva, vallabha etc. traditions as in smartha (advaita) panth? I cannot compare as I grew up in a smartha household.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

This is not decided overnight. There was strategy for this. A lot of villages have huge temples but no priests. Due to economic migrations from villages, only bottom of the pyramid are in villages looking after the leased and group-lease farming. Most of this bottom of the pyramid folks are the dalits. In the last two decades or more, the villages that used to be temple-priest centric ones became church-pastor centric. In the past, for any ailments or word of support, the folks used to go to priests (even if there was untouchability). Once that system collapsed the pastor replaced that role.

Some grass root organizations along with TTD found that if a proper priest that fits the bill of anti-casteistic nature who can counter the church propaganda is created and if the Temples are revived then there is a chance to stop the onslaught of church on the rural landscape. In pursuit of that strategy the TTD created a dalit-only priest class and want to experiment with good monthly payments and also a psychological stuff to tell the masses that you are not bottom in anyway except your economic sense.

Whatever we did in earlier models may not work but this has a chance to work as many grassroot orgs are looking forward to help this succeed. In addition, the endowments department also cracked down and made sure the temple bodies remove all non-hindus from the employment of boards. Now it is a strict-hindu only principle. Lastly a new GO to crackdown of temple lands misuse is also passed.

Things are going fine. As a last stage they need to pass the anti-conversion laws which will bring the world down. Let us see how it goes.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

vayu tuvan wrote:A very good move by TTD. I am also sure that the youth will measure up to the task. Why not employ them too? May be some family tradition.
The article says the Endowments Department is building small temples in remote villages where these new priests will be employed.

Win-win all around if they can pull it off
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Here is the english translation of this video. I tried to do exact translation as much as i can and where ever i couldn't , i paraphrased it.

Introduction by the speaker (TANA President Chowdary Jampala) about Saven Ramesh

Saven Ramesh full name is Sannadi Venkata Ramesh. Since 10 years he is doing a lone fight for the Telugu language.He was born and brought up what is currently the tri-border of Andhra Pradesh, Tamilnadu and Karnataka. In those areas, especially in Tamil nadu, almost 40% of the population are Telugus or of Telugu roots. They can speak Telugu but they have encountered/encountering lot of issues with writing and studying Telugu. In such a situation, Saven Ramesh garu is fighting to preserve Telugu words and Telugu culture. In recognition to Ramesh garu’s efforts in preservation of Telugu language, TANA has honoured him four years back with Gidugu Ramamurthy award. He is the youngest recipient of that award. While most of the awardees are retired Telugu Pandits, Ramesh guru is at least a generation younger to them. This is in a way exemplify his efforts in preserving Telugu language. Now Ramesh garu will speak.

Ramesh gari Speech

“Dandalu” (Namaskaram) to everyone. I will start my words with a story which my grandfather told me.There used to be a farmer, lets say Subbaiah.He used to have 20 acres of land.He used to lead his life doing his field work. After some time, a man came to him from somewhere, someone called say Arumugam. He said he is having difficulty leading his life and asked him to show some path for his livelihood. Subbaiah said “Ok Aramugam. I have 20 acres of land. My family does not need this much of land. You can use 5 acres out of it and feed your family”. After sometime, another person came to Subbaiah, say his name is Gundappa. He asked the same thing. Subbaiah said the same thing. ‘I gave 5 acres to him. You can also use 5 acres. 10 acres is enough for me’.Some years passed. One day, Subbaiah went to the Village elders and told them that he cant bear with Arumugam and Gundappa anymore and asked them to return his 10 acres back.

I see that one or two in the audience are laughing. Andhra Pradesh has become just like that 10 acres. When i say Andhra pradesh, that includes current day Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. I don’t know why you laughed at the end of the story but when i see the Andhra Pradesh geographic map, i cry, not laugh. Because, out of every two telugus, one is outside this geographic map. Only one is inside that map. if there are 18 crores of Telugu population, only 9 crores are inside that map and 9 crores are out side that map. I won’t go into the discussion whether establishing linguistic states is good or bad but a Telugu person asking a “Nadu” in the name of language is a big mistake. Someone else (other than a Telugu person) should have asked it.And those who would have asked it should have just taken some land and left.The very fact that even erstwhile Andhra Pradesh (which itself does not include all telugus) is again broken is a great example to show how far we (telugus) have diminished in the last 100 years and our failure to emerge as a (united) coherant linguistic Jati.

I am not talking politics here. The current situation is that what you call as tamil nadu today and I am from that place , out of whole population , 42% are Telugus. Only 36% are Tamils. If you think in your minds that “what someone called Saven Ramesh takes a mike and utters some numbers and we should believe ? “ , then let me tell you that these are not my statistics. When the whites ruled us, they took each district and took statistics on each caste in each district until 1921. We still have those figures. Forgive me for bringing in castes (into the speech). I have to use it to give you information. We (telugus living in tamil nadu) know which caste is telugu caste and which caste is tamil caste. When you are living in a village, we know which caste a person belongs to and also which language that caste group overall speaks. By this criteria if we calculate, that 42% percent of Telugus are still there in Tamil nadu even now. In 1953, when the Telugus in the north broke away from the Madras state and formed Andhra Pradesh, they did not separate like India and Pakistan. Those (telugus) in Tamil nadu stayed there. they did not leave and came to Andhra pradesh. Because those who stayed there are farmers, businessmen, they are the sons of that soil. They are not migrants. In 1913, some elders in Bapatla (currently in Guntur district of AP) discussed and demanded a separate Andhra State. Four years before that demand in 1909, in Tiruchirapalli , some Tamil elders sat down and decided that they cant bear with these Telugu people and proposed to establish a separate Tamil state south of Kaveri river. We have all that evidence. The people who demanded a separate Andhra state in 1913 knew about the 1909 conference and its proposal to establish seperate Tamil state south of Kaveri. Inspite of knowing it, they made a map, a map for Andhra state, that map is still available now and we published it recently in a magazine. In that map, with respect to areas in current tamil nadu, only the areas between Nellore district and Madras city - Gummidipoondi, Ponneri talukas in current Tiruvallur district and Madras city are there. Thats all. Even Krishnagiri district where for generations, people are fighting for telugu and for establishing a telugu school is not included in that map. The person who designed that map was Punnami Lakskminarayanaiah garu. We don’t know why he even designed that map like that.

Once that map came out, some Tamil elders showed that map to Britishers and had them closed down 8000 telugu schools. Mind you, this is even before the formation of Andhra pradesh not after. Their point being that only those areas in the map are telugu areas and but still there are telugu schools outside these areas as well and therefore they should be closed. In Dharmapuri district, the first school to be established during British times was a Telugu medium school, not Tamil medium one. In Salem district again, the first school established was Telugu medium one. Even in the South, in Sattur (Virudhunagar district), Vasireddy Ramaswamy Naidu guru established the telugu school, which was the first. All these schools , they were forced to closed down after showing this map. So by raising the demand for a separate Telugu state what did the Telugu Jati achieved ? It got confined to a small area. To understand why they did it that way itself is a long history. I won’t go into those details because if i tell that history, you all will feel bad. I don’t want to make you feel bad. i am only here to tell about my pain.

In current tamil nadu, we have 3 crores telugu.That means there are as many telugus in tamil nadu as there are in telangana. In today’s Karnataka, 33% are Telugus, only 31% are original kannadiga speakers. Compared to kannada, telugu is the larger language (in terms of mother tongue), whether in Karnataka or Tamil nadu. In Maharashtra , telugu is not the bigger language compared to Marathi, only 16% are Telugus, almost one and half crore telugus are there in Maharashtra. In Orissa, its 22% of telugus, around 80 lakhs of Telugus in Orissa.All these people are not migrants.The Andhra historians have written that all these people have migrated during Krishnadevaraya’s (of Vijayanagara empire) time. With that single sentence which you have written in hundreds of history books, you have shown the path to the tamils to abuse us now by calling us “Vangerigal”. In reality, Satavahana coins are found near Kaveri. Satavahana coins are also found near krishna and Godavari in AP. You know that. In coins which are found in krishna and godavari, they did not use telugu words. But in the coins found near kaveri, they used whole telugu sentences. In telugu, those are the first telugu sentences (not words) that were found anywhere. That means in Tamil Nadu, Telugu's are as ancient as Tamils. These two groups are there together for centuries. But 100 years back , for whatever reasons, when Northern Andhras (when i say northern andhras, i don’t mean Srikakulam, Vijayanagaram but north of Madras) started their struggle for separate telugu state, a discord emerged between Telugus and Tamils.

Today our situation is that mother and son will speak Telugu at home, outside we speak Tamil.We are afraid. We are insecure. We are shy (to speak Telugu). You may ask why we should be afraid.We are afraid for our (cultural) identify , for our (cultural) livelihood. We have our surnames/housenames. But we don’t keep it in our certificates. Tamils don’t have surnames. They keep their father’s name. But my father gave me a surname.He did not put me in a telugu school and did not made me study telugu but he put a surname in my certificate.My whole life i used to fight in the school for that surname. We will have a tamil friend. My surname is Sannadi.My fathers name is Jairamaiah. Immediately he (tamil friend) will say, “Arey, this guy has two fathers”. Because they (tamils) use father name for initial.For me, I have a fathers name under fathers name and another name under my initials. so they immediately say that i have two fathers. They say it inspite of knowing that Telugu people have surnames, just to pull our (telugu people) legs. Then i used to fight with them. I cant tolerate if some one says i have two fathers. There are many small examples like these. When i was studying Degree, N.T.Rama Rao once came to a Madras conference and said to us “ I know, they (tamils) even changed my name to N.T.Raman in voters list and i had to fight to change back my name”. I am only saying what i heard directly from NTR. They changed his name to N.T.Raman. (Audience Laughing) .

Even now come to Madras, in mahilapur (Mylapore), there used to be a park called kasinadhuni nageshwara rao pantulu park. Even now, the park is still there. But they changed the name. First they bought a law that there should not be a name on the basis of caste. So they removed pantulu. Rao is not one caste name. Many castes use it. Even then they removed it saying it is a caste name. So now it became Kasinadhuni nageshwara. Then they said its too long and removed kasinadhuni. Now it became nageshwara park. Then they added ‘n’ to it and now it became ‘nageshwaran’ park. (Audience Laughing).

They changed the names of thousands of (Telugu) villages like that. I am not saying hundreds, but thousands. They changed thousands of village names and digested as much as telugu cultural richness as they can. In Tamil Nadu today, if there are 110 Janapada cultural arts, out of them 100 are Telugu (origin). In google, type “Devarattam”, excellent Janapada art. Then there is “Sevattam”, i will give you 100 such names. There are all now called as Tamil arts but they are all originally Telugu.

What you (Telugus) did ? You draw a circle and said that is Andhra. They (Tamils) said outside that circle, everything is theirs and started propagating it as such. There is a art called Bharatanatyam. Its real name is Dasi Attam. In krishna delta, godavari delta, mahanadi delta, kaveri delta, in all these four deltas, in order to do Natyam in the temples of these deltas, Deva Dasis created this dance. Because we called only Godavari and krishna deltas as telugu areas, the Dasi Attam Natyam in those areas became Andhra Natyam/Kuchipudi. For the Dasi Attam in Kaveri delta, Rukminidevi Arundale garu named it as Bharata natyam just like Nataraja Ramakrishna garu named the Godavari Dasi Attam as Kuchipudi. Slowly Teluguness vanished from Bharatanatyam. This is the same dance which was once upon a time during the (Vijayanagar) Nayaka rulers times, the Javaleelu, Varnalu of this dance were completely and only in Telugu. Yesterday also we saw one Bharatanatyam, they completely Tamilized as much as they can. In Mahanadi delta, Kelucharan Mohapatra named Dasi Attam as Odissi and it came to be known as a great Oriya cultural art. All these arts from Mahanadi delta to Thamirabarani are examples of Telugu cultural life, influence and history. So essentially they (people who created Andhra state) gave 50% of telugu culture to outsiders. Its not just they, you , I , everyone , we just gave it.

Now, our (telugus in tamil nadu) situation there is such that we got Tamilized. I told you this before. My village is called Kalisapudi which is in between Villapuram and Pondicherry. This is where my father was born. I was born and raised in madras anyway. My grand father fought a lot to prevent the closure of Telugu school in Kalisapudi. My father could not teach me in Telugu. My generation people stopped talking telugu in their houses. My fathers generation at least spoke telugu in their houses. Now our situation is, they (Tamils) started recognizing us by our (telugu) caste and started abusing us. Since 10 years, some tamil parties are asking us not to participate in panchayat elections. They say ‘You are Andhras. Go to Andhra’. We say “we have nothing to do with Andhra”. They say ‘Still you should go’. There are some castes - Madigalu for example. They are no Tamil madigalu. They are all 100% only Telugu. If you go to Tamil nadu, if you get lost, if you don’t know where to go, and if you see any person stitching shoes, this is applicable for any village, go to him and speak to him, he will speak in Telugu. They still speak Telugu at home. There are another caste - Vadderalu. They speak again only in Telugu (at home). Kammas, Reddys, Velamas, these are all castes in Andhra, but there are other Telugu castes there (in TN) which are not here ( in AP). They have castes like Nadi manikar, Rama podugu, there are still many castes which speak telugu which you don’t find in andhra pradesh. After recognizing such castes, what they (tamils) are doing is, they are saying “you should not participate in panchayat elections. we gave you andhra pradesh. now go there.” . they are saying this to even those telugu castes which do not speak telugu anymore and got tamilized. It has come to such an extent that they (some tamils) are burning villages after villages- e.g. sankaralingapuram , tirunelveli district, big issue there but in neighboring Andhra, people don’t even know about it. They burned three villages around sankaralingapuram saying they should not participate in panchayat elections. The Telugu castes in those villages don’t know Telugu.They speak only Tamil. There is great Tamil author among them. They enriched Tamil literature. This (asking telugus to go back) is a new trend for us. What should we do now ? They are doing this even after we completely forgot Telugu and speak only Tamil. Can we erase our (telugu) castes ? In India, can we erase castes just like that even if we want ? Is it possible ? Good or bad, now we have to live with our (Telugu) castes.

So in last 10 years, what new generation are doing is , They are saying, ‘yes, we are Telugus. So what ?’. Because of combination of factors like you (Andhras) drawing a circle and leaving 9 crores Telugus outside the circle, and because of our own problems with Tamils on this side of the circle, we are now seeing changes.

Now, we are looking at our brothers and sisters on the other side , towards your (Andhra) land, towards what people call ‘mainland Telugus’ land. Just like in the past, in Telangana, when the Nizam closed Telugu and imposed only Urdu medium schools, you people (Andhras), went there, established Andhra Mahasabhas in various places and taught them Telugu letters. We (Telugus in TN) need that now. We are also your brothers in Tamil nadu, just like your brothers in Telangana. You may say, now everyone are learning english, whats the point of learning Telugu anyway. Correct, we learnt english but we want to use Telugu as a weapon in our fight (againt injustice). For our identity’s sake, we need to know Telugu letters. When they (tamils) identify with our castes, we want to tell them not to identify with our castes but identify with our language, with our telugu letters.

In our villages, we want to write in telugu letters. Near Udamulapeta, we went to a village called ‘Deepalapatti’. If they is a ‘palli’ (telugu word for village) anywhere, they (tamils) will change it to ‘patti’. (Audience laughing). Fortunately, they did not change the word ‘Deepala’. The people in that village were asking us, 'teach us Telugu letters, we want to write our village name as ‘Deepalapalli’”. We want to write all our (Telugu) village names in Telugu. We want to show you those villages. What we want from you first is propogate it. We have so many Telugus outside. What is over is over. mistake was done. Telugu people, during any king’s rule were not under one flag. Its very difficult. We are not a small group like Tamils or Kannadigas. From Vindhays to Vanamamalai (which is little up above Kanyakumari), from western ghats to Bay of bengal, there are indigenous Telugu communities everywhere. We all were never under one flag, either under Satavahanas nor under Kakatiyas. Even now, we understand its not possible to be under one flag. You can see the Telugu map i gave you. We are not calling it as a political map but as a cultural and linguistic map. So we are asking you to propagate this. Just like how the tamil parties raise the issue of Srilankan tamils, we want you to to take care of our issues. Think about us.

Second, help us with learning telugu letters. That is the brochure i gave you. If you look at the backside, you have some pictures of some elders. Those are the pictures which you won’t read about in Andhra and telugu history. They all died. none of them are alive now. They gave their lives for telugu letters, just for telugu letters. The person in the brochure's first row, second one is Sethupati, Janaka Sethupati. He struggled all his life for Telugu in Sri Lanka. He went to Sri lanka during British period to clean lavatories. There are still 8 lakhs Telugus in Sri Lanka even now under Tamil identity. Out of 20 lakh tamils there, 8 lakhs are Telugus. In order to teach such people telugu, he (Sethupati), struggled all his life and died.

I came all the way here to share such details with you.You all know Mahabharata story, Kauravas, pandavas.The reason for mahabharata war is, you have good and bad on both sides, everyone has their arguments, pandavas also might have done some mistakes. In NTR’s (movie) Dana veera soora karna, written by Tripurneni varu, you can see the other angle. But why do people always sympathize with pandavas ? Because of only one reason. They are both cousins, may be they (pandavas) did some thing wrong, he (yudhistra) was a gambler. But still they are cousins. Cant they (kauravas) give them just five villages ? Now whatever happened, happened. What we are asking is , you (Andhras) don’t become Kauravas. We, your brothers got divided from you. We are nowhere now. When you got Andhra, you threw stones and cow dung on the tamil boards and left. Now how can we live with them ?

Potti sriramulu garu did not die for Andhra state. you know that. But still you guys say it (that he died for Andhra state) . Potti sriramulu garu died for Madras. Because Nehru already gave a statement that if Potti sriramulu garu is willing to forget Madras and Bellary, he (Nehru) would give Andhra. But Potti sriramulu garu rejected it saying how can one can have Andhra with out Madras and he died for Madras. After he died, Nehru proclaimed the formation of Andhra. But what kind of state did Nehru proclaimed ? Was it Andhra state with Madras ? For what Potti sriramulu fought ? Why did you (Andhras) just took it like that (without Madras) and took everything and left ? While leaving, you threw stones on tamil boards and went away. But what about us, people who are living there for centuries , how should we live after that ? Did you even think about us even once ? It has been 60, 70 years.

Tummala Sitarama murthy garu says in one of his poems. He is the only one, no one else as far as i know who talked about us. He said “we left some people there (in TN). lets visit and talk to them some times and make them learn and utter some Tikkanna’s poem’s. “ he said this in his work ‘Rashtragaanamu’.

How did you forget us ? You forgot everything and lost in darkness so much so that we are now translating and reading the works of a person who said “Andhra dogs, get out of here”. These are Rajaji’s words. It came in all papers then. We (Telugus in TN) burn his (Rajaji) books whenever we get a chance. He did not curse the Telugus in TN. He cursed Andhras. But still it is we who could not bear it.But you (Andhras) guys forgot everything.Whatever happened , happened. At least now, let the truth come out. Propagate it. Let everyone know there are 18 crore telugus. we have statistics from British times to support it. Let telugu letters come from all areas (where telugus reside). That is what we want from you. We are asking it, we are demanding it because we are all brothers. “Dandalu”.
Last edited by Rony on 06 Oct 2015 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very interesting. Even in West Bengal you come across Telugus in large number in the labor class.

To add to Ramesh garu's speech even Carnatic Music has been de-Andhraified.

Caranatic Music relates to music that pleases the 'karna' or ear.

I always wondered about Bharata Natyam suddenly showing up in the mid 1920s under Rukmini Devi Arundale in Adayar.

I had a friend in IITM. His father was a veterinary college professor (Madras Uty) and his sisters were top graduates from Madras Medical College. One day he asked another friend and me to dinner as his parents wanted to meet us. We wondered why but home food is always welcome to students!
Turns out they were Telugu speaking Naidus and wanted to hear some good Telugu bhasha.
We were very touched.

Rameshgaru's speech reminded me of that incident.

Rony is there a way to append your translation to the Youtube video?
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Thanks Rony garu for the pains in taking in translating such big speech. After reading that, now I understand why Thayagaraja Swamy composed his Sri Rama keerthanalu in shudda Telugu while residing in far away Kaveri delta area (to present Telugu borders).
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

Muppalla wrote:This is not decided overnight. There was strategy for this. A lot of villages have huge temples but no priests. Due to economic migrations from villages, only bottom of the pyramid are in villages looking after the leased and group-lease farming. Most of this bottom of the pyramid folks are the dalits. In the last two decades or more, the villages that used to be temple-priest centric ones became church-pastor centric. In the past, for any ailments or word of support, the folks used to go to priests (even if there was untouchability). Once that system collapsed the pastor replaced that role.

Some grass root organizations along with TTD found that if a proper priest that fits the bill of anti-casteistic nature who can counter the church propaganda is created and if the Temples are revived then there is a chance to stop the onslaught of church on the rural landscape. In pursuit of that strategy the TTD created a dalit-only priest class and want to experiment with good monthly payments and also a psychological stuff to tell the masses that you are not bottom in anyway except your economic sense.

Whatever we did in earlier models may not work but this has a chance to work as many grassroot orgs are looking forward to help this succeed. In addition, the endowments department also cracked down and made sure the temple bodies remove all non-hindus from the employment of boards. Now it is a strict-hindu only principle. Lastly a new GO to crackdown of temple lands misuse is also passed.

Things are going fine. As a last stage they need to pass the anti-conversion laws which will bring the world down. Let us see how it goes.
Gald to know. They have to use temple funds to do Ghar Wapasi.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

I am not sure, Ramana garu if people other than the video uploader can append with comments. The best we can do is post it in the comment section.

If any one can append this translation to that video, feel free to copy paste there.

kmkraoind garu, thanks.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Agitation may start for further bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh

Rayalaseema in a state of discontent

Looks like the just-commissioned Godavari-Krishna river link is not helping the drought situation in Rayalseema.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I do hope there is no demand for a separate state and even if they want none of the coastal districts are added to Rayalaseema. Most of the Telugu politicos are pathetic.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

From twitter:

>>गीतिका ‏@ggiittiikkaa 28m28 minutes ago
Rajahmundry, in AP, gives up its British name, to be renamed as Rajahmahendravaram, after the Chalukya King who founded the cultural capital
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

^^^
The cabinet has passed the resolution to gazette related to change of the name.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Apologies if posted before

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Andhra Pradesh hopes to bring back famed Amaravati artifacts from UK
HYDERABAD: The Andhra Pradesh government is hoping to bring back many artifacts related to its new capital city Amaravati, which are on display in the British Museum in London.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Secretary IYR Krishna Rao, who recently visited the museum, said about 30 to 40 artifacts that were excavated from and around Amaravati site are on the display at the British Museum.

"Lot of artifacts related to Amaravati are there. They are excavated from the site at Amaravati (in AP) and include stupa, pillar, relics and 'chakras'. There (in the museum) is a separate gallery called Amaravati gallery comprising 30-40 artifacts, which are mainly related to Buddhism and Amaravati," Rao told PTI here.
I sincerely hope this is just a start, let it make a flood and get back all our cultural, religious artifacts from Briton.

Few days back I have watched the movie, The Sign of Four (1987), while watching movie I am feeling uneasy by seeing Indian cultural artifacts that were looted by British and British Sepoys. We need to get back all our cultural moorings from Western museums and private collectors.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

October 22nd Amaravati Foundation Ceremony Invitation Card

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Short Film about Amaravati and message from CBN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCnwnbpErig
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Happy Vijayadashami and the foundation ceremony of Amaravati as capital of AP. Hope that future generations cherish and be proud of the revival of a very old capital city as new and modern city of administration again.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Happy vijayadashami and two leaves of shami to each and every BR.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Happy Vijayadashami everyone

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Just look what this pakjabi bit** wrote about new capital of AP. I wonder if they have written anything about Chandigarh like this.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/politics/an ... 54083.html
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Present AP Con Mafia head is from Rayalaseema and once again the Con Mafia is doing the same drama

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/a ... elatedNews