Deterrence

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Deterrence

Post by shiv »

ramdas wrote: @Shiv: maybe you could list the consequences you think we would face if we were to test in the near future. If a few raffles/LCA's is it, then a hefty increase in strategic power more than compensates for what we would lose by this and other similar setbacks in the conventional field.
It is not the consequences that we face that i am interested in. it is the effect that our testing has on other powers - particularly Pakistan - which I have already spoken about. On balance it is my belief that testing sends all the wrong signals and allows Pakistan a free hand. I do not believe Pakistan has a free hand now and I do not believe that India's deterrent is so bad that we cannot take out Pakistan.

Testing for other reasons is a different issue and I repeat that I would be happy to discuss the effects of testing on China.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

It is not the consequences that we face that i am interested in. it is the effect that our testing has on other powers - particularly Pakistan - which I have already spoken about. On balance it is my belief that testing sends all the wrong signals and allows Pakistan a free hand. I do not believe Pakistan has a free hand now and I do not believe that India's deterrent is so bad that we cannot take out Pakistan.
This is exactly along the lines of pre-1998 arguments and some post 1998 criticisms of Pok-II. Indeed, after Pok-II, both sides had an open, hence faster buildup i.e, what you might call a freer hand. However, the pre-1998 setup where Pak had tested PRC weapons while we were in a limbo kept us vulnerable to nuclear coercion (especially around 1990). The same is being repeated: not across the conventional-nuclear threshold but across the fission-thermonuclear threshold. It should always be kept in mind that it never was TSP alone. Since the 1990's we have faced TSP+PRC+unkil working in tandem to squeeze us strategically in several ways.

All in all, the benefits of biting the bullet outweigh the losses. One benefit is to obtain a credible deterrent against PRC: Ajit Doval's pre 2014 principle that "if PRC snatches Arunachal, they lose Shanghai" has to be operationalized. "Shanghai" should mean the whole metropolitan area. Not one or two localities in there. Given PRC investments in ABM tech/surveillance etc, a situation will obtain in the not too distant future where this ability can be achieved in the face of a first strike only if we possess MIRVed missiles with the Agni-V's range. It is for this reason that Lt. Gen. B.S. Nagal (who has headed a cell in the pre 2014 PMO that plans such matters) has openly expressed the need for pushing deterrent technology along these lines. A credible MIRVed missile with reasonable warhead yield (even 50-100 kt) that is road mobile with a semi trailer combination that is not uniquely gigantic (and hence satellite detectable) would need TN testing.

The thing is this: having decided to go nuclear and practice nuclear deterrence, we cannot afford to artificially stop on the technology track. Constant qualitative and quantitative up gradation is a must until the numbers reach what U.S/Russia have currently operationalized and what PRC seems to be heading towards. This should not be blocked. Else be prepared to cave in to strategic coercion.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

I think even now India has the expertise to research on newer weapon designs (both hydrogen and neutron) based on data from its weapon tests .. but will have to test at some point to validate .. personally i feel the designs might be ready for a test ..watch out for some sub kiloton tests ...
member_26622
BRFite

Post by member_26622 »

Too much discussion, keep it simple like a reflex action. Also, please dumb down our intelligence when dealing with Pakis, just like you deal with cockroaches.

Paki army has chosen to side up with EVIL so they are EVIL. Light up the border every time anything EVIL crosses over. Ask questions afterwards. 155 mm Dhanush guns drive up in to position every 30 kms apart on the EVIL border and starts pounding away, scoots and repeats > need approx. 300 guns only. No questions asked or answers expected. Do you think twice before going for insect sprays for killing cockroaches? :evil:

No one needs to be consulted or needs to get permission. Plain and simple, light up a few extended range shells with GPS to land on known Madrassas as added bonus. Where is Laloo Prasad Yadav in this time of need!
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Going by what Dr. Santhanam has said, we indeed have designs ready for test: Dr. Santhanam has claimed that no more than 2-3 tests are required for perfecting the TN sought in S-1. Bharat Karnad too alludes to a TN warhead in our arsenal based on S-1 after making the necessary fixes. The issue is that it is unproven and would need testing sooner or later.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

You don't need MIRV to deter Pakistan. What are the targets in Pakistan that will dissolve the state with a strike - it is Punjab and Karachi. Targeting other areas is a) spraying machine gun fire on goats and b) making permanent enemies of Sindhis, Baloch, Gilgitis and even Pashtuns which they are not now. For Punjab you need at max 100 warheads - even that is too much. I don't think you will find enough targets in Punjab for even 25 1 tonne thermonukes. For Pakistan to dissolve the Indian state they have to reach as far as Chennai with thermonukes. The open source estimate for warheads I have seen is 1000 with a fifth or fourth based on submarines by 2030-2040. So you have 900 to deter others. If you stop doubting the shakti test we have already deterred Pakistan but Pakistan has not deterred us. This has been repeated several times by experts that we have deterrence against Pak but not China i.e. we need higher yields and MIRVs against China. The NFU is a well thought out strategy. The doubt is in the mind of the adversary not India whether to use it or not. A FU by India brings the doubt in the mind of India. Massive retaliation is doubt free because you have faced a nuke strike. Testing of lighter warheads for MIRV can happen only when the situation with China escalates e.g. if there is clear evidence of thermonuke transfer to Pak through China-NK (you will know from Pak behavior just like we did know from the 80s) or if China helps Pak build SSBNs or if the status quo with China breaks down.

PS: There is no point building ICBMs. The only target is US and why do you want to make it an even bigger adversary. SLBMs with extended range (stated or unstated) is sufficient to have a secondary capacity. I think Pak has committed harakiri by helping NK go nuclear as the only target of NK is USA. Instead India should work on US to try to convince partnership with US to tackle the nuclear triad.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Since many years have passed since the event, I just want to say here what I have and not offering it as proof - but as a "point to ponder". I actually have archived somewhere on my HDD an email by a former chief of one of the defence services who wrote of a 400 kt warhead in a short terse message. The person who forwarded that email to me was as puzzled as I was because he had asked a question to that fmr chief about known yields and deterrence. Also 400 is a number that one does not often hear. I have never mentioned that number because if I do someone will ask me about my Musharraf. Has someone given us designs or other critical info? Or is it all hot air?

Why do I bring that up here? The reason is that we have no idea what we have and we don't know who knows what we have and how convincing that is, but I was not sure what to make of it and basically did not mention it on BRF simply because the author was too senior and very well known and the email was to the person who forwarded it to me, but the information was "incredible" given the "average" view on BRF.

I am simply throwing this information out because I am certain it must have played a role in shaping my own thoughts - so this is a "disclosure" of sorts. It is easier to talk contrarian shit after reading that kind of info. But it illustrates the dense firewall that exists around the Indian nuclear arsenal and possibly a deliberate intent to allow a fizzle-not fizzle/test-no test debate to continue as long as is deemed right by those who hold information close to their chests.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

A long long time ago I read that India has a huge stock of spent fuel that can technically be used to extract cartloads of Plutonium and that India is deliberately toeing the international non proliferation line and leaving the stuff untouched. I also think no one else wants it shipped to them. This (I think) is what Pakis refer to as Indian Pu stockpile for hundreds of bums
member_28990
BRFite

Post by member_28990 »

Do we have operational Shkval torpedoes in the Navy? I saw vague rumors, but no concrete news. Maybe the Chakra has a few. I have read that they can be fitted with nukes.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

It is for this reason that Lt. Gen. B.S. Nagal (who has headed a cell in the pre 2014 PMO that plans such matters) has openly expressed the need for pushing deterrent technology along these lines
"deterrent technologies" for which nation?

Did the Gen feel that there was not enough towards Pakistan? Or China? Or Pakistan + China? And, what about a dirty bomb? What will India do if a dirty Pathankot were to take place?

Check out the reaction of China. Proof enough where they already stand.

I seriously think the problem is NOT Pakistan, but China. China stands on the sidelines and coaches both NK and Pakistan - perhaps in subtle ways. If India were to make good headway/progress with Pakistan, bet China will call it foul. And, if India and Pakistani Army were to tangle, guess what, China will ask for restrain and call a foul on India (as she has done with the US).

To deal with Pakistan, India has to deal with corrupt Indians. Solve THAT problem and most of Indian headaches will vanish without the need for any medication. May be there needs to be a change in a gov in one of the states. A problem that has existed for eons and one that Indians are willingly living with.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Per my understanding the nuke deal is not retroactive. So all those reactor grade plutonium is unsafeguarded.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

shiv wrote:Since many years have passed since the event, I just want to say here what I have and not offering it as proof - but as a "point to ponder". I actually have archived somewhere on my HDD an email by a former chief of one of the defence services who wrote of a 400 kt warhead in a short terse message. The person who forwarded that email to me was as puzzled as I was because he had asked a question to that fmr chief about known yields and deterrence. Also 400 is a number that one does not often hear. I have never mentioned that number because if I do someone will ask me about my Musharraf. Has someone given us designs or other critical info? Or is it all hot air?

Why do I bring that up here? The reason is that we have no idea what we have and we don't know who knows what we have and how convincing that is, but I was not sure what to make of it and basically did not mention it on BRF simply because the author was too senior and very well known and the email was to the person who forwarded it to me, but the information was "incredible" given the "average" view on BRF.

I am simply throwing this information out because I am certain it must have played a role in shaping my own thoughts - so this is a "disclosure" of sorts. It is easier to talk contrarian shit after reading that kind of info. But it illustrates the dense firewall that exists around the Indian nuclear arsenal and possibly a deliberate intent to allow a fizzle-not fizzle/test-no test debate to continue as long as is deemed right by those who hold information close to their chests.
Sloika design? Layer cake is a bit too Pu heavy no? Given our limited separated fissile stock, TN route in the long term IMO is unavoidable.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shiv, Thanks. Sure no extra zero?

;)

If not its very interesting.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

@NRao: Gen. Nagal did not refer to requirement vis a vis this or that country. He looked at our overall requirement for a credible deterrent. Certainly Gen. Nagal pointed out to our requirement for MIRVs and MaRVs. It is my presumption that MIRVs etc will be needed against PRC in the next few years given their investments in BMD.

Regardless, it is not a question of whom the MIRVs are needed against. It is a question of whether the security establishment thinks they are needed or not. If yes, then they should be acquired and whatever needs to be done for that needs to be done.

Overall, an expanded strategic deterrent that is also credible vis a vis TSP's sponsors will reduce the impact of "umpiring" by these entities.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

@Shiv: Bharat Karnad has himself mentioned warheads around 125-175 kt that are MIRVable and has mentioned a 1MT warhead in his 2008 book. They may well exist. Whether they will give their designed yield or anything close to that is a different question.

Maybe for starters GoI should up the intensity of ballistic missile testing. It seems to have slowed down marginally since the final years of the UPA Govt.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Shiv,

I just had a thought. We may need to vaporize as many muzzies as possible to prevent demographic invasion. Starvation may force the survivors to cross the border. Punjab will have the heaviest casualty count. Lack of diesel, fertilizer, and electricity will lead to massive contraction of agri output. My guess is most will try to cross from Punjab or south of Thar. Good portion will squat along the Indus.

Is 40-60% pop contraction enough?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^ :D
Can't comment on long term demography but looking at WW2 casualty stats it appears that casualties amounting to less than 1-2 % - that is say 100,000 out of 10 million in a short time (days to weeks) is recoverable

But 25-30% in one go (as dead or wounded) will paralyse an urban center.

I have always felt that large urban areas should get 2-3 nukes at moderate distances apart so that refugees pouring in terror out of one area bump into refugees pouring out of the other. 1.5 million dead in a densely populated urban area is a good one

Of course anyone is free to accuse me of being a particularly cruel sadist - but that is so stupid. Just recall what the Pakistan army did in Bangladesh, and what was done in Kaluchak and Mumbai 26/11 and to Saurabh Kalia. When I think of that I am perfectly happy to justify the statements I have made above.
member_29089
BRFite

Post by member_29089 »

shiv wrote:^^ :D

..... 1.5 million dead in a densely populated urban area is a good one

Of course anyone is free to accuse me of being a particularly cruel sadist - but that is so stupid. Just recall what the Pakistan army did in Bangladesh, and what was done in Kaluchak and Mumbai 26/11 and to Saurabh Kalia. When I think of that I am perfectly happy to justify the statements I have made above.

Saar, it is too sadistic to nuke an already fleeing civilian population of pakis including bhookha-nanga abduls and abdulees. To ease their pain (while fleeing) can some Indian agency think of 3D holograms of 72 virgins on mushroom clouds in the outskirts of paki cities? at least they will die happily.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

For those who are interested - here is an eminently readable article about how big fission weapons have been made
http://www.dcr.net/~stickmak/JOHT/joht17bang.htm

The point is that any country that is considered to be at the very bottom of the nuclear technology pyramid (eg India on BRF; India in Indian eyes) can produce reliable workable fission or boosted fission designs well in excess of 100 kilotons. Talk about efficiency, bang per kg, warhead diameter and weight is a separate issue.

I am not saying that we should not test or should not aim for higher technology, but deterrence is how much you scare the other guy, not the technology level of your bombs. If testing is going to scare someone then test we must for the purpose of deterrence. But if testing is not going to have any effect on deterrence then the rationale for testing has to be something other than deterrence.

Scaring the other guy is more a function of one's ruthlessness and willingness to use national power to achieve national strategic objectives. Not symbolic shows of strength like marching columns and missiles on truck and test after test to show "We have and we have big".

There is not a single country on earth who will say that India is weaker than Pakistan, but yet Pakistan scares the shit out of us and we never have enough to handle Pakistan. We never have the gumption to hit Pakistan the way we get hit. If we can't send a tank into Pakistan, or even allow our aircraft to overfly Pakistan in a conflict zone as we did during the Kargil war, what will test after test after test in Rajasthan do to put off Pakis? Nothing. If at all it affects them - they too will test and say they are as good if not better. And we will shit even more
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

shiv wrote:A long long time ago I read that India has a huge stock of spent fuel that can technically be used to extract cartloads of Plutonium and that India is deliberately toeing the international non proliferation line and leaving the stuff untouched. I also think no one else wants it shipped to them. This (I think) is what Pakis refer to as Indian Pu stockpile for hundreds of bums
Yes, the latest estimates are about 3000 kgs of separated Pu and over 32,000 kgs of Pu in spent fuel. Now, consider even a relatively fuel inefficient 400kt design (maybe a Sloika evolution).......and even then the potential numbers are ....huge. In that discussion long time ago on BRF, we had identified the constraints as the number of delivery systems...not the number of warheads, assuming a relatively heavy warhead design.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sloika is a very large diameter design - and it appears that simple boosting with Tritium and fissionable tampers give some huge explosions. Pervez Hoodbhoy had mentioned innovative Paki designs including flying plate, but we assume that Pakis always import and don't innovate and we do not import and our innovations can't work because we don't test.

I have tended to pivot my debate round these assumptions.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

shiv wrote:^^ :D
Can't comment on long term demography but looking at WW2 casualty stats it appears that casualties amounting to less than 1-2 % - that is say 100,000 out of 10 million in a short time (days to weeks) is recoverable

But 25-30% in one go (as dead or wounded) will paralyse an urban center.

I have always felt that large urban areas should get 2-3 nukes at moderate distances apart so that refugees pouring in terror out of one area bump into refugees pouring out of the other. 1.5 million dead in a densely populated urban area is a good one

Actually I just had a rethink - Safe to say that we'll pulverize 90% of people residing in 25 of the most populated urban centers, if we're going lob 75+ nukes the bulk of which will probably be 50 kt. We're def going to do multiple strikes on the top 15 at least.

If we sprinkle a few 200 kt class on their top 5 cities it will enable us to use more of the 50 kt and 17kt weapons on medium sized townships outside the 25 cities which could serve as stopping points for survivors along the way to the banks of the Indus and to the arable lands of Punjab and Sindh. This would certainly kill off more people. They will be walking aimlessly initially and get hit with starvation after about 4 days. Natural inclination maybe to flock to rivers or coast line.

With the contraction in food production due to lack of electricity, diesel, urea along with lack of medical facilities, birth rates should fall in those who survive, especially in those with injuries like burns, and radiation sickness.

Jihadi groups operating along their western border will certainly make inroads and make life hell for the survivors, especially women. May take ~20 years for the population decline to stabilize.

Perhaps India won't be dealing much with a refugee crisis.

I'm thinking somewhere around 50-60% decline in population (~100,000,000 million) by the end of 1 year.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/12/ ... al-h-bombs

Read the last section of the above article to learn what authorities who managed our nuclear forces from the relevant cell in the PMO think about this matter. That they are retired indicates that they likely served under the previous PM (Gen. Nagal certainly did, though the fact that he headed the PMO nuclear cell is not mentioned).

They seem to believe that for any credible deterrence vis a vis PRC a new generation of high yield thermonuclear warheads needs to be developed. The comments of Gen. B. S. Nagal (who would be far more authoritative than any analyst) are telling. He in fact says it is the most pressing issue facing our country.

If the professionals are heeded, the dice would be loaded for yet another breakout. Hope snake oil like "strategic alliances", "foreign investment" (incl. bullet trains) do not hold us back.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramdas wrote:http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/12/ ... al-h-bombs

Read the last section of the above article to learn what authorities who managed our nuclear forces from the relevant cell in the PMO think about this matter. That they are retired indicates that they likely served under the previous PM (Gen. Nagal certainly did, though the fact that he headed the PMO nuclear cell is not mentioned).

They seem to believe that for any credible deterrence vis a vis PRC a new generation of high yield thermonuclear warheads needs to be developed. The comments of Gen. B. S. Nagal (who would be far more authoritative than any analyst) are telling. He in fact says it is the most pressing issue facing our country.

If the professionals are heeded, the dice would be loaded for yet another breakout. Hope snake oil like "strategic alliances", "foreign investment" (incl. bullet trains) do not hold us back.
Notwithstanding what Nagal has been quoted as saying I have much to criticize in that article, which I read and cursed on IDRW where I saw it first some days ago. India needs Uranium for H-bombs? hmmm.

India can certainly use Uranium for some nifty boosting of fission bombs. But let me leave it at that
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The more confusion the better. So, I am not sure (which is a good thing, by my own standards) if Lt. Gen Nagal is himself rather confusing is good or bad.

India's nuclear doctrine: The fog lifts
First, Nagal argues that India's No First Use (NFU) pledge is undemocratic ('it was not put to the public'), harmful to the survivability of India's own nuclear weapons ('NFU policy cannot conduct a first strike on the adversary's counterforce targets, thus allowing the adversary full capability to attrite our own capability'), and allows Pakistan too much ease of mind. He pushes for Indian policy to be made more ambiguous.
Third, Nagal argues that India has been too secretive about its deterrent and allows its scientists to dominate the public discourse about nuclear weapons: 'the statements by the scientists also prematurely release information on delivery systems, which later become embarrassing when time lines are overshot/delayed'. Nagal is right. In the past, Indian scientists have certainly made confusing statements about whether particular weapons systems have conventional or nuclear roles, or both. The politicians have rarely cleared up the ensuing misunderstandings.
I think - have always thought - that there is enough confusion built into the Indian posture. No? He himself claims there is such a thing in his third argument. So, he himself is not dead sure if this confusion from the science community is induced confusion or Indian chailta hai attitude? He seems to be assuming that it is not induced.

Besides if he feels that Indians are too secretive, then on what basis can we consider his tenure to be one where he got to know everything and therefore is very well educated on the matter just because of his title?

Recall during the talks with the US, it was not a gov official nor a service wo/man that made the detailed decision. It was a 600 lb scientist that provided the nails. MMS himself used to state that "my scientists tell me we do not need to test".

But on the whole such debates are really good. They only add more confusion and help deterrence.

I would shudder to think if Indians were very logical and made ALL their cards known. It is too easy to game that situation and overcome it - starting with bribing a BSF soldier at a wedding and slowly climbing up the chain to the SP and beyond.

Continuation of this debate is proof enough deterrence is working. IMHO of course.
But let me leave it at that
At times I wonder if Nagal himself is part of induced confusion. How come a person in the public knows *so much* about niftiness and he has no clue? IF he is then get more of such people. Keeps Levy employed for decades too - a good thing.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Nagal contradicts himself at different places. He wants FU but also calibrated response to TNW. Contradictory.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

And, I for one, welcome such contradictions.

The rhetoric question is, is he a plant?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

His job was limited to getting the orders, putting the codes and pressing the button. If everyone starts determining policy we will have confusion. I think it is another opinion just like BK.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Gen. Nagal's job was getting the codes, etc when he was SFC chief. He later headed the nuclear cell within the PMO. Then his job was to determine our strategic requirements for the coming decade. Having headed this planning activity (post his retirement as SFC chief), his opinion is perhaps the most weighty when it comes to these matters. His opinion on deterrence requirements is far more serious than Bharat Karnad's or any scientist's.

You do not expect politicians, IAS baboo(n)s, economists, human rights activists etc. to determine deterrence requirements when they have no domain expertise whatsoever. Only the armed forces have the requisite expertise. When they say that a new generation of high yield weapons is needed, they know what they are talking. Their opinion must be heeded and the same acquired at all cost.

@NRao: the 600 lb scientist as well as RC have always said that any new designs either with a higher yield/weight ratio or higher yield would require fresh testing. They have only said that S-1 allows us to design weapons in the 45-200 kt range. Higher yields as well as MIRVable warheads require new tests.

@supratik: regarding Gen. Nagal, he is saying options have to be kept open from preemptive strike to calibrated retaliation. Preemptive strike if, for instance, we have information about a full fledged first strike upon us. calibrated retaliation if, for instance, a TNW is used on a tank formation.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Only the armed forces have the requisite expertise
On deterrence? You HAVE got to be kidding!!!

Just a sentence or two ago you yourself stated "Gen. Nagal's job was getting the codes, etc when he was SFC chief". So, where exactly does he - as an armed services person - get this "requisite expertise" from?

Sorry *that* does not fly. Need to reboot.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

shiv wrote:On balance it is my belief that testing sends all the wrong signals and allows Pakistan a free hand. I do not believe Pakistan has a free hand now and I do not believe that India's deterrent is so bad that we cannot take out Pakistan.

Testing for other reasons is a different issue and I repeat that I would be happy to discuss the effects of testing on China.
Indian policy was stupid enough to enact as a reaction to Pakistan's nuclearization, when we had this capability to test in the 60's and appropriate threats too. What you are doing is asking for a continuation of a similar policy that holds our arsenal's evolution hostage to Pakistan's capability based on the fear that Pakistan too, will get an opportunity to level and enhance the credibility of their nuclear designs. Such an approach degrades India's capabilities yet ignores a critical "proven" fact that Pakistan has serious help from China in the area of nuclear warhead design and associated materials and technologies. The association of the triad is not some alleged conspiracy but a well proven fact for someone not to see the threat clearly. You CANNOT compartmentalize the threats in this way.

Shiv: Suffice to say, your position is far off from ANY serious practitioner of, what Indian needs are and how to go about them.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

NRao wrote: On deterrence? You HAVE got to be kidding!!!

Just a sentence or two ago you yourself stated "Gen. Nagal's job was getting the codes, etc when he was SFC chief". So, where exactly does he - as an armed services person - get this "requisite expertise" from?

Sorry *that* does not fly. Need to reboot.
So, do you want some certified degree, in deterrence theory as the qualifiication. Let us not demean the discussion here. The head of the SFC is not just someone who has to get the codes, they are extremely involved in the full operational planning of the use of the arsenal - including input to the tech design teams, like any user organization would. Gen. Nagal's constraints are that he has to work within the stated "doctrine" and the available "proven" technologies and has commented on the inadequacies of both. Let us not trivialize the comments here.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

The great debate!!

Test and validate a TN design now and to hell with the economic consequences
vs
economic growth is what drives a country and the existing deterrent is adequate for now.

IMO, the deterrent against Pakistan is adequate. One does not need a thermo nuclear capability against Pakistan, it would be desirable but not necessary. Furthermore, the stockpile of reactor grade PU-239 spent fuel is so enormous in India that BARC with all it's expertise can IMO fashion an overkill number of fission devices using that stockpile, whether reprocessed to WgPu or not - only the critical mass per warhead will be more.

Against China the situation is more fluid. It is necessary to have TN warheads vs China. But the question is when to test? Test now and invite all kinds of economic sanctions and technology sanctions or test when the situation vs China grows hot and heated with the commencement of a border war and global understanding of Indian tests will be much more acceptable? A test/(s) at that stage besides validating a design will also serve as a deterrent to an expansion of the border war.

Unless of course there is belief that China is capable of launching a massive first strike against India without the buildup of any tension whatsoever - bolt out of the blue. How realistic is such a first strike?

Technology sanctions now will crimp India's efforts at acquiring a conventional offensive capability to counteract the terror attacks from Pakistan. All kinds of gear and equipment which India should get to be able to launch raids into Pakistan will be placed on a sanctions list should India test now. And that test itself and perfection of any TN design as a result will do nothing to stop the current attacks on India.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

@ldev: by the time a border war starts, it would be way too late to test. It takes a couple of years to operationalize a newly tested design. Moreover, time is required to correct the design in case BARC has botched it up. As for the west, they have never been understanding of our strategic compulsions in any case. What they want is an emasculated India dependent on the U.S for security like South Korea/Phillipines. Forget China, such an India will be incapable of standing up to Pakistan.

The economic consequences are exaggerated. We grew (at a slightly slower rate) even in the aftermath of 1998. In any case, sacrificing strategic security for economic gains is foolish, to say the least. We have already paid a steep price for this tendency when we could have tested once and for all in 1974-1992 period and focussed on growth thereafter. The mistake was repeated in 1998 (we should have tested repeatedly from 1998-2004 and then switched to a focus on growth). Growth without the ability to defend national sovereignty would eventually be jeopardized.

If the west has any hint of our being desperate for certain conventional technologies, they would hold back on transfer to ensure leverage over us. All in all, better to test in the near future thoroughly to ensure a capability to field the entire spectrum of nuclear weapons and delivery systems in adequate numbers. A switch to a development oriented focus/ plugging gaps in conventional capabilities can occur thereafter.

I would in fact, strongly argue that it is better to test now and face sanctions when global economic growth is anemic rather than be cornered into doing it later when the global economy is on an upturn.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

@NRao: who according to you should determine deterrence requirements ? Civilian baboo(n)s /politicians/economists/human rights activists ?

You are picking up a fragment of what I said about Gen. Nagal's work profile. That he was SFC head and involved with the operational aspects does not mean that his responsibilities did not extend to force planning. Force planning is a critical task undertaken at all levels by any professional armed force. In fact, force planning was his primary responsibility in his subsequent role as head of the relevant PMO cell, which you wish to willfully ignore just because his recommendations do not fit into the "no tests/ strategic alliance with the U.S.A" school of thinking.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A lot of confusion and tangential topics.

To answer questions:
who according to you should determine deterrence requirements ? Civilian baboo(n)s /politicians/economists/human rights activists ?
Not sure if you are taking about policy or as you call it force planning. Policy is formulated by people with a diverse set of backgrounds (so, as an example, BK was one of them for India) and you really need diversity to come up with such a policy. Policy formulation is the critical part (as compared to other aspects of deterrence).

All nations farm out the process, so as to get a wide set of views.

If you are at it check out what the US did after the collapse of the USSR. Very interesting shift, which actually predates both the Indian test and the nuclear agreement.
You are picking up a fragment of what I said about Gen. Nagal's work profile
I understand, that is internet for us. However, the point I was making is that the Gen cannot have it both ways. I have lost the article I was referring to, if I find it I will recap. But, for all his hats he has worn - and he certainly has worn plenty, he still does not qualify for (re)formulation of the policy. If he talked baout deficiencies in force planning I can agree. Policy? Another matter. Everyone sitting at the policy table has only their view that they are experts at - that is the way it works.

Just BTW, the Indian posture - to recap - is MCD, with emphasis on "Credible" and then "Minimum". Anyone requesting a review of the posture/policy needs to first address these two terms, before they even talk about "Deterrence".

On testing, yes, there are differing views. However, any new proposals, be it a core or a delivery mechanism, will need to be tested, but only within the framework of current MC. Why should India test if everyone believes what Indians say? After all D is still holding.

Sorry for the rambling. More l8r.

Oh, BTW, certificates are available. BK has one too.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

ldev wrote:The great debate!!

Test and validate a TN design now and to hell with the economic consequences
vs
economic growth is what drives a country and the existing deterrent is adequate for now.
So, who decides these things? A nincompoop economist like MMS almost pissed in his pants, on the news of the Shakti tests in 98. That one sardar never had the gonads to do anything. India's security certainly cannot be in the hands of such excuse of men.

If a Pakistan can be a whore and can blackmail the west to bend to its wishes, you are saying an India is incapable of manipulating or managing the same toads and make them jump India's way. So, we only need to figure a way out to manage these toads and ensure they do not jump into the fire and burn themselves. Should not be a tall order to manage tons, don't you think? So, what is the net economic impact and the likely major risk and for how much time on the economy? The people who planned Shakti, factored it and managed the impact. If they could do it in a month, certainly, this aspect at the very least can be managed better now in a much strengthened economy.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

no tests/ strategic alliance with the U.S.A" school of thinking
Sorry, I missed that.

I have no such thinking. All I have said (since 1997 or so) is that India and the US will grow closer. Have not stated it is good or bad. I have said that certain products are good/bad, but not the strategic relationship (which I do not think exists)(but would be glad to expand on that).

On testing, the day India feels the "C" (perhaps "M" too) in MCD is lost, India WILL test. Absolutely nothing to do with any other nation. IMHO of course.

Till then it is my belief that India has MCD and therefore there is really no need to debate or test. IMHO.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Good chance now that Both Japan and SOKO will go nuclear. Will they offer India opportunity to validate Big Bs when they do test and let India in as observer or India follow them?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ShauryaT wrote: Indian policy was stupid enough to enact as a reaction to Pakistan's nuclearization, when we had this capability to test in the 60's and appropriate threats too. What you are doing is asking for a continuation of a similar policy that holds our arsenal's evolution hostage to Pakistan's capability based on the fear that Pakistan too, will get an opportunity to level and enhance the credibility of their nuclear designs. Such an approach degrades India's capabilities yet ignores a critical "proven" fact that Pakistan has serious help from China in the area of nuclear warhead design and associated materials and technologies. The association of the triad is not some alleged conspiracy but a well proven fact for someone not to see the threat clearly. You CANNOT compartmentalize the threats in this way.

Shiv: Suffice to say, your position is far off from ANY serious practitioner of, what Indian needs are and how to go about them.
The part in bold letters above is a misrepresentation of my position.

I have been asking, "What will testing achieve with regard to deterrence with regard to Pakistan. Somehow I suspect you and many others confuse deterrence with subjects unrelated to deterrence. I posit that testing will not do anything extra to deter Pakistan, but will still allow them to openly create the capability of hurting us more.

Your claim that Pakistan gets everything from China is an old one that is always held up to kill any sceptical views. Of course Pakistan gets technology and material from China. But if it gets everything what is the need for Pakistan to cooperate with Korea and get the designs of this new "Thermonuclear bomb" that Korea is claimed to have tested? If Pakistan has got it from China they should be sitting tight. If they have not - then the statement that they have got everything from China is a bogey.

Let me take up these two possibilities separately:
1. Pakistan has already got everything from China. they do not need anything from NoKo
  • If this is the case why are we suddenly jumping up and down and howling that Pakistan is getting TN from Korea so let us test. Clearly that is a specious claim for a nation that should have tested long ago rather than riding on North Korea's back
2. Pakistan has not got refined TN designs from China and this Korean test has the signature of Pakistani cooperation:
  • If this is true then what I say holds. By testing we are giving Pakistan a free hand to refine whatever they want whenever they want
In both cases our testing now does not aid deterrence in any way. If we must test we must test using a better excuse than Noko's tests. That is where this discussion started.

As regards the fact that I am not the expert and someone else is, to me it only means that I can freely voice my views and present them as forcefully as I can. No one is under any obligation to accept them. On those lines I am somewhat bemused by Nagal's alleged statement that scientists have been given too large a role in talking about nukes.

This is absolutely true for two reasons:
1. Nukes are all science. They are useful for military posturing. Military posturing is part of deterrence. The scientists talk about science and the generals must speak about military posturing
2. Generals are not allowed to talk much, so the media allow scientists to talk muchly about Indian nukes

Note that whenever scientists have spoken in India we have got a mixed picture of our nukes and their capability. That in fact is the genesis of the TN test debate. Whenever the generals (or other military people) have mentioned the use of nukes - their words have been taken very seriously

Maybe we need more people to talk and debate. The main argument against what I am saying is that I am status quo-ist and that I subscribe to old and invalid viewpoints and that a lot of people feel otherwise and they should know better than me. I am hardly disputing that, but when I ask questions that I want answers for, no one is able to offer answers other than the above rhetoric.

Nagal's views are something that I will not accept as correct especially his view that tactical nuclear weapons use by Pakistan should be met with a feeble response that does not escalate. I will not even bother quoting the other "experts" who say what I am saying. This is what Nagal says:
Nagal says India's 'response to a few or one (Pakistani) tactical nuclear weapons should not be disproportionate which could result in an all-out nuclear war', and 'escalation control should be practiced in conventional and nuclear war on moral and humanitarian considerations. The strategy is not rational, (and) our political leadership may not show resolve during crisis or at the time of decision'.
Here is another statement attributed to Nagal
“Beijing has long managed a thermonuclear program, and so this is one of many options India should push forwards with, as well as reconsidering our nuclear defense posture, which is outdated and ineffective. We have to follow the technological curve. And where China took it, several decades before us, with the hydrogen bomb, India has to follow.”
This statement means that India does not have "thermonuclear bombs" and needs to go that way by testing. This is what Santhanam and many others have asserted. It is so well known that all our discussion about deterrence are based on that. The question I am asking is what is the difference made to deterrence by the quest to change from the "low hanging technological fruit" of 150 kt boosted fission and a 250 kt" "high hanging technological fruit" thermonuclear bomb? Do we have any idea of the warhead weights and sizes we have managed given our technological abilities?

My judgement of Nagal's statement is that he is a wily old cat who is helping to add to the fog. However he has a view on deterrence that I do not agree with. He wants removal of NFU and I have reservations about that because removing NFU is an invitation for Pakistan to remove our chaddis. They will simply keep doing Mumbais and Pathankots and ask "Where is our FU policy?"

Back to topic: If we need to test to validate new designs or refine old ones, we need to do that without tying that to NoKo's tests. We need to test because we want to and not because NoKo did it and Pakistan may benefit. For that the benefits to us have to be clear and unambiguous.

I have a little more to say - but in a new post