AMCA News and Discussions

uddu
BRF Oldie

Re: AMCA News and Discussions

Post by uddu »

Weight it seems. This has been discussed a lot. But don't worry it will come in another Avatar and possibly pretty soon. :)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Too lazy to Google.
If kaveri output is 80kn

And F404- in20 is 84kn
Kaveri target dry was 52 kn, reached 49.2.

Wet was 81, reached some 70. IIRC.

My feel is that they may resolve the matter based on inputs from GE, under DTTI.
member_28700
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28700 »

Kaveri target dry was 52 kn, reached 49.2.
Wet was 81, reached some 70. IIRC.
My feel is that they may resolve the matter based on inputs from GE, under DTTI.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Why would GE help us perfect a GE product replacement so that we do not have to pay them for further engine orders later?
This almost sounds like training someone else to replace them. Nobody helps their competition DTTI or not.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

SaiK wrote:I have the strongest feeling that we can develop a non-scattering skin kevlar or composite that permeates all radiations and we focus on designing the advanced platform totally on aerodynamics and mission needs (mach levels, turns and drags).

so how do we do stealth? 2 ways
1. Each component inside absorb, scatter
2. inner thin-nano skin to deflect

UB ji did bless this approach a while ago under bhurka.

externally, everyone will laugh at this design - how can this be stealth!?

he he he it is called onion architecture. you heard it here
Tejas - LCA FB admin had said that an indigenous Cobham equivalent radome is not planned. So I'd say most of your post is quite speculative.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

kevlar characteristics should be enough for phase 1. if there was interference on the radar return, then we need to account how it was interfered with? if we know where the radiations were lost, is enough to put a design through quickly. logical guess onlee. the objectives here are different but the same design might help for this purpose.

however, we do need the quartz cone sections for an optimal t/r function.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Couldn't be further from the truth. Why would GE help us perfect a GE product replacement so that we do not have to pay them for further engine orders later?
Replace which GE product?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

approach
The Tiger hides its track
http://www.plastics-themag.com/applicat ... -you-don-t

No single material is effective in all aspects of stealth which must, in addition, protect the equipment's vulnerable parts.
This is why the goal of multi-spectral stealth (radar, infrared and acoustic) can only be achieved by combining several solutions such as those developed for the Franco-German Tiger helicopter.
In addition to the vehicle's geometric design, its low radar signature is due to innovations linked to the chemistry of polymers such as the structure made from 80% composite materials - mainly Kevlar and carbon fibres, and the use of absorbent paints.
As for infrared, the turbine thermal emission reducer is much sought after, not counting the very advanced research carried out on the polymer foam of the blades and their geometry, which provided a major contribution to the vehicle's stealth.
page 5/9 permeablity for kevlar and astroquartz, epoxy resins
https://www3.nd.edu/~kmatous/Papers/IEEE_OEA.pdf

this paper perhaps is a food for thought for our stealth gurus
member_29294
BRFite

Post by member_29294 »

NRao wrote:
Replace which GE product?
AMCA will be in service for at least 30 years, from 2030-2050s. In the time frame, maybe 2030-40, there will be a re-engine upgrade of AMCA where the GE engines, if chosen, will be replaced by a desi ones.

Of course GE is no different in this regard, but no private company will ever allow full ToT for a product that will replace them. I don't expect any serious ToT, but assembly line in India and some nuts and bolts ToT.

I am just hoping that by 2030, India's technology and manufacturing capabilities will be similar to what Japan has today, where they are confident in making the entire next-gen engine themselves from scratch.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chakra.in wrote:manufacturing capabilities will be similar to what Japan has today, where they are confident in making the entire next-gen engine themselves from scratch.
Could you point me to some news items about how they got to this level or where they claim to be able to do this? Typically, from what I observe, successful jet engines are made in large numbers and appear in hundreds of aircraft. I have not seen any Japanese engines fall into that category but I do know that there are Japanese engines, probably licence built and some with collaboration there.

Google does not throw up much info in this regard

There is one item from 1997 where western manufacturers are "worried" about Japanese capability
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB866505890844366500

The following news is of a small Honda jet engine made in the US
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/1 ... sKgWz-kT_t
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Chakra.in wrote:
NRao wrote: I am just hoping that by 2030, India's technology and manufacturing capabilities will be similar to what Japan has today, where they are confident in making the entire next-gen engine themselves from scratch.
Don't think so. They will get extensive support from US. May not be for SCB like stuff but in testing, design, manufacturing otherwise. Compare the development of MRJ to Bombardier or Embraer jets of similar class and see what's happening there. Due to sheer lack of experience in aerospace, despite having extensive US support Mitsubishi is struggling so much. Aerospace is such business that even if you are Japan, you struggle. Only pus point for Japan compared to say India is they have more robust nationalism and will power.
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

shiv wrote:
Chakra.in wrote:manufacturing capabilities will be similar to what Japan has today, where they are confident in making the entire next-gen engine themselves from scratch.
Could you point me to some news items about how they got to this level or where they claim to be able to do this? Typically, from what I observe, successful jet engines are made in large numbers and appear in hundreds of aircraft. I have not seen any Japanese engines fall into that category but I do know that there are Japanese engines, probably licence built and some with collaboration there.

There is one item from 1997 where western manufacturers are "worried" about Japanese capability

Shivji, Japan is absolutely cutting edge as far as high-temp material/metallurgy technology is concerned - and they have hard earned it over decades of Power Turbine R&D and manufacturing.

The number, and more important quality, of papers that gets published on gas-turbine technology by the Japanese, is quite astounding really.

A couple of pages back there was a news item from Japan which talked about turbine disk and blades manufacturing for their future stealth bird etc - the numbers mentioned (and more importantly the confidence exhibited in actually executing it) were of top-draw.

But the real problem with gas-turbine technology is not uni-dimensional to metallurgical technology aspects only - it's a combination of very high-end-Fluid Mechanics (quite a bit of it's unknown/empirical etc), Thermodynamics and manufacturing science.

At a very high level, the Indian effort via Kaveri/Kabini is limited to mastering/maturing the CFD and Thermodynamics part with a slightly older gen technology for Metallurgical and Manufacturing (reflects good understanding about our indigenous MIC base status etc).
Once that gets frozen/baselined, the incremental Metallurgical and Manufacturing technological advances will get implemented slowly to provide the necessary, again incremental, performance figures.

But for that to happen, they need to put it in a Flight Test platform (modified Su-30 or Mig-29 and later to a single-engined platform like LCA) and fly it across, quite extensively, across the entire flight envelope.
Also needed is minimum number of "parallel running etc" to provide statistical performance figures like MTBF/TBO etc. - I's assuming that the tender to manufacture 20 Kaveri/Kabini etc is for that only, but can be completely wrong as well.
member_29294
BRFite

Post by member_29294 »

shiv wrote:

It was posted in the last page:
http://aviationweek.com/defense/japan-r ... ngine-core
Japan developed their own nickel super-alloy single crystal blade tech, and the core also comes with FADEC and other modern features. Their cutting edge composite and metallurgic experience is well known, and in fact many composites used in Tejas come from Japan. The overall commercial industrial industry in Japan allows them to make such materials, unlike in India whose industry doesn't have the technology yet.

Apart from more technologically advanced commercial space, Japan also had a much more easier trial bed. This is where India suffered so much. Trying to do it all at once and develop a full engine for a single-engine fighter was a decade breaking mistake. It was just far too ambitious for a country with no experience.

Japan started much more reasonable with a transport aircraft with multiple engines. That way they could have lowered requirements on areas such as thrust:weight and size allowing them to focus on other areas like FADEC, modularity, and safety. And even if an engine ever blew out, the aircraft could operate with the remaining engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_P-1

Only recently has this MoD thankfully redirected the Kaveri engine development to a limited production run of 20 and for use in UAVs, which ought to have much more relaxed requirements and will allow this scaling up of technologies in a similar fashion.

nileshjr wrote: Don't think so. They will get extensive support from US. May not be for SCB like stuff but in testing, design, manufacturing otherwise. Compare the development of MRJ to Bombardier or Embraer jets of similar class and see what's happening there. Due to sheer lack of experience in aerospace, despite having extensive US support Mitsubishi is struggling so much. Aerospace is such business that even if you are Japan, you struggle. Only pus point for Japan compared to say India is they have more robust nationalism and will power.
Well the first MRJ will roll out in 2017, so we will see how good it is. But there is a big difference between those with the capacity to develop and those who can, but struggle to compete for costs in an overcrowded, price-sensitive market. Japan has the capacity to design and develop civilian aircraft today, whereas India is just getting started doing outsourced manufacturing from Boeing and others. I don't expect to see an indigenously developed and designed Indian civilian jet for another 10-15 years.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

maitya wrote:
But for that to happen, they need to put it in a Flight Test platform (modified Su-30 or Mig-29 and later to a single-engined platform like LCA) and fly it across, quite extensively, across the entire flight envelope.
Also needed is minimum number of "parallel running etc" to provide statistical performance figures like MTBF/TBO etc. - I's assuming that the tender to manufacture 20 Kaveri/Kabini etc is for that only, but can be completely wrong as well.
20 is only about good enough for all kind of testing and establishing manufacturing processes. Typically the big three OEMs use 20-25 odd engines for development and certification. About 10-15 odd for the engine OEMs themselves and 10-15 for Aircraft OEM for aircraft flight testing.

But I doubt the statistical part. I mean they need multiple engines for covering the extensive test/certification program and each engine is assigned different goals. Due to the extensive instrumentation needed typically its nigh impossible to use one engine assigned for some set of tests to another with relative ease.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Chakra.in wrote: Well the first MRJ will roll out in 2017, so we will see how good it is. But there is a big difference between those with the capacity to develop and those who can, but struggle to compete for costs in an overcrowded, price-sensitive market. Japan has the capacity to design and develop civilian aircraft today, whereas India is just getting started doing outsourced manufacturing from Boeing and others. I don't expect to see an indigenously developed and designed Indian civilian jet for another 10-15 years.
I think we can design an RJ in a decade given enough money. It may not be world beater, but it will be contemporary. But the part where we really really lag is the industry base for manufacturing and the testing/certification process, which we can learn only by doing. If we do not start on that right now, I don't see an airliner coming out of India even in next 20 years.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

maitya wrote: A couple of pages back there was a news item from Japan which talked about turbine disk and blades manufacturing for their future stealth bird etc - the numbers mentioned (and more importantly the confidence exhibited in actually executing it) were of top-draw.

But the real problem with gas-turbine technology is not uni-dimensional to metallurgical technology aspects only - it's a combination of very high-end-Fluid Mechanics (quite a bit of it's unknown/empirical etc), Thermodynamics and manufacturing science.

At a very high level, the Indian effort via Kaveri/Kabini is limited to mastering/maturing the CFD and Thermodynamics part with a slightly older gen technology for Metallurgical and Manufacturing (reflects good understanding about our indigenous MIC base status etc).
Once that gets frozen/baselined, the incremental Metallurgical and Manufacturing technological advances will get implemented slowly to provide the necessary, again incremental, performance figures.

Geopolitically Japan is unlikely to become an aero engine exporting major. Most Japanese engines were made before and during WW2. After that post war agreements with the US make it difficult for Japan to move ahead in practice, although they are technologically as capable as the US or Europe.

India needs to take engines seriously - and that means having a full testing set up as you have pointed out. Otherwise it is all half measures. After the Kaveri completed its hi alt flights in Russia I was talking to Air Marshal Rajkumar who was excited and hoped that they would put it son a plane and test it. That was never done. What the Chinese are doing is putting their engine on a plane and testing it and that will earn them dividends in the end.

The Russians made engines that were cheap and less efficient than western engines but they were ready to swap engines after just 150 hours of flight. That is also a good policy for a nation that wants independence from the jet engine mafia.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chakra.in wrote: It was posted in the last page:
http://aviationweek.com/defense/japan-r ... ngine-core[/url]
I recall reading this. But that is not yet an engine. The problem lies in getting engines that work flawlessly and efficiently for thousands of hours in a reasonable amount of time and at reasonable cost. Japan, even if capable will simply be handed the tech or readymade engines by the US because of their special postwar relationship. The west nowadays makes its money with only high tech - because low and medium tech manufacture has been taken over by others. They will not allow anyone else to enter and compete

Sadly I disagree with your view that India will see an indigenous civil jet in 10-15 years. It will take longer than that. We are nowhere near in that area. However my hope is that some private player will import an assembly line.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

1) Will India have an engine by 2030. More than likely, yes. However, will it have an engine for a 5th Gen plane. More than likely, no. To produce an engine on a consistent basis and have hope of improving it, takes a LOT of investment (time + funds). India is nowhere close to that kind of investment

2) Question: IF Japan was that advanced, then why would Honda HQ in Ohio to JV with GE? That too for a puny civilian craft? Or are you saying that IHI will not share info with Honda? Which is possible - they do not want to mix civilian and military efforts

3) How reliable is the Japanese engine effort? Can we expect a "6th Gen" engine in the next 5-10 years and then the next gen engine after that? Assuming there is an internal need for such engines

Just BTW, by the time India/Japan produce an engine, in 2025+, equal to the one that GE/PW has today, GE/PW will produce one that is even better. One has to leap over the current tech to catch-up.
member_28700
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28700 »

NRao saab, isnt the first step the most difficult to take? Is it not the LCA development that gives us confidence that we can exceed it and make AMCA in a shorter duration. I agree that funds would be paramount to any engine development and our engine development has been funded with peanuts. However, once we have our 1st even 4th gen engine, the 5th gen engine although tough would not be impossible to achieve. Success has a push of its own.
Also for a country like ours where 4th gen fighters are expected to remain the backbone for next 15-20 years, I dont think we can ignore a possibility to engine 200-300 fighters (Mig-29, M-2k, Tejas, Jaguars)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Meanwhile

F-35 fighter jet’s capabilities far outweigh deficiencies: US Marines
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/s ... cid=twtcna
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

NRao, check this out

14.385556, 76.570209
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

https://www.facebook.com/notes/livefist ... 5075400822
India’s 5th Generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) is progressing well now in its second phase of development with several parts of the aircraft and configuration locked.
Just chanced upon this new image from the AMCA’s stealth structures workshop at the National Aerospace Laboratory, providing an updated view of the engineering going into the serpentine intakes of the concept jet.

The above image follows the series of photographs and technical illustrations accessed by Livefist over the years, depicting the engineering approach to the AMCA’s low-observability surfaces. Some of the previous ones:

And finally, chanced upon this -- a full AMCA mission scenario simulator is up and running at the Aeronautical Development Agency in Bengaluru. Here it is:

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

the graphics could do better i guess ? looks straight out of a video game .. maybe COTS not mil grade
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Am I the only one or others see it too? The intake structure on the above photographs look too pinched!?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Thanks
India’s 5th Generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) is progressing well now in its second phase of development with several parts of the aircraft and configuration locked.
"Locked"! Very good news. On track, no distractions of any sorts.
Very glad that they have retained what was originally conceived in a full wide angle screen. Hope they have been able to incorporate voice recognition.

Hate these new cars that have touch screens that force people to focus on things other than driving. Especially for senior citizens like me. Voice recognition helps in such situations. For young pilots it may not be an issue.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Only this picture is for AMCA intake studies
sivab wrote: Image
This one is for Ghatak
sivab wrote: Image
I don't know how and where Livefist sourced his pictures from, but it is really not exclusive. You can find all of them in NAL's director's report. Click here.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

disha wrote:Am I the only one or others see it too? The intake structure on the above photographs look too pinched!?
I did find that odd as well. For UCAV such intake maybe alright but for AMCA this looks too much considering it will be a supersonic jet. There will be losses. But I guess that's the price for Stealth one must pay. Without much info I am tending to think SDREs know what they are doing, given this is indeed AMCA intake final configuration.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

^^Well, how do we know if it is not for the UCAV?
malushahi
BRFite

Post by malushahi »

^^^ see pg 3 of NAL's director's report that indranil has posted above.

caption "चित्र 5: पूर्ण मापी ए एम सी ए वायु अंतर्ग्रहण डक्ट का एफ्ट-एन्ड दृश्य" (picture 5: aft-end view of full-scale AMCA air intake duct)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

malushahi wrote:^^^ see pg 3 of NAL's director's report that indranil has posted above.

caption "चित्र 5: पूर्ण मापी ए एम सी ए वायु अंतर्ग्रहण डक्ट का एफ्ट-एन्ड दृश्य" (picture 5: aft-end view of full-scale AMCA air intake duct)
Further down is a version in English.
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

AMCA cockpit with side stick controller? Had they ever mentioned this before?
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I am talking about the second "whitish" one, which is really pinched. It doesn't looks like the same design as the black one in the report.
malushahi
BRFite

Post by malushahi »

misinterpreted your question. indeed the whitish one is not just more pinched, but has a more pronounced curve and shorter lead-in to the turbine face.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The whitish intake is actually the older version of IUSAV/Ghatak/Aura intake. A few months back, DRDO had issued a tender for CFD analysis of the modified intake. I had posted about it then. IIRC, it was for the study of ice formation on the bullet nose and struts of the fan inlet casing.

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

So AMCA has two sidesticks a-la eff solah

The white intake is the back end of the UCAV where the engine itself will fit, the front curve will go over the nose
Maybe people have had a dekko at the US UCAV that landed intact in Iran
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I think HAL project for HTSE, HTFE and Kaveri variant for UAV will provide us with lot of experience. I wonder when will budget for flying test bed and other laboratories be cleared to accelerate the development cycle.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I have never had anyone explain to me why Kaveri in its existing state cannot be used for AURA. Sorry wrong thread
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

There is nothing to explain. It can, and is, without the AB. But Kaveri is not production ready yet.
enaiel
BRFite

Post by enaiel »

Any news on engine selection for AMCA? The longer we wait on choosing the engine, the further it is going to push back the first flight of the aircraft. I still remember the painful long wait for the LCA's first flight. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the same ordeal for AMCA...
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

The F414 esp the EPE version with 120KN output will probably make the cut and keep things simple.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The problem is that there is no F-414 EPE engine. Its not funded*.

*Unless South Korea sheds more details on the technologies it chose in the F-414 for the KF-X.