Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

Post by A Nandy »

And the plan is to run this train in Kashmir as well. Would love to cross the Chenab Bridge on this :D

Whats up with the bridge anyway? No news for a while.

---------------------

Oh wait...
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... e-3076227/

Its a cable bridge in planning now :roll:
After almost a decade of flip-flops, Railways has finally decided to build what will be India’s first mega cable-stayed railway bridge at Anji Khad on the Kashmir link project between Katra and Banihal. The Railways will thus abandon the existing contentious plan of building a mega arch bridge at Anji Khad, which had been stuck for years.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

>>Its a cable bridge in planning now :roll:

Oh man...they cant seem to make up their mind. Would be Interesting to see the reason why they abanded the arch after so much studies. Hope they dont change their mind again and decide on a steel bridge. K J george expertise might come in handy.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Bored of air travel, I took the 16339 CSTM NAGERCOIL from Pune to KJM 2 days go. In 2AC. Well,It was certainly interesting.

PF6 on Pune station smelt like a toilet, as always.the coach was attached to the general compartment on one end.

The train arrived 40 mins late inspite of the official announced delay of 15 mins. Hauled by a Gooty EMD WDP the WGACCW coach was very grubby-years of all sorts of deposits. The switches had accumulated years of grime and sweat I felt queasy resting my hand anywhere. There were black stains that looked like fungus on the roof. The curtains were tattered and unwashed.

On the positive side, the bed linen was freshly laundered. The toilets were cleaned at regular intervals by a pressure machine and smelt of hospital antiseptic afterwards which is far more preferable to the usual sauchalaya smells. I used only the Indian style because most mangoses do not know how to use western style. They will pee with the seat down and make a mess.

At every stop, the panty car vendors would open the door to exit the coach to enter the unserved compartment. The open door meant there was a steady stream of visitors to the toilet from the general compartments.

Morning breakfast of Pongal and vada from the pantry car as the train rumbled and grumbled its way through AP on a single line was nice for only Rs 30. This had to be 'enjoyed' with a scenic view of villagers nonchalantly crapping in the open near railway tracks.

Reached KJM 35 min late. IR had not finished with me. Got to my accomodation when IR had the last laugh. A rat had chewed through my backpack. A great big hole to get at my slice of tea cake inside.

This backpack is over 15 years old and has faithfully travelled the world with me several times. In fact, it has travelled with me through the length and breadth of India when I took 2 years off work for Bharatbrahman. It has spent nights on platforms , days in cloak rooms and bumped along in luggage compartments of all sorts of buses all over the world inc. India. Always remained unscathed and intact, until now.

I went to wildcraft in commercial street yesterday and they recommended me to a local repairer in LILY PLAZA who will patch it up for Rs 250 and give me today in time for my Tuesday departure to GOA.

Now, I have to deal with 2 types of rats, one behind sarkari desks and the other in IR coaches. Both well fattened.

And yes, being dogged, I am taking the train to GOA. This time, however, will will eat my cake before the journey so no IR rat can have it too.
Last edited by rahulm on 16 Oct 2016 10:48, edited 7 times in total.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Duplicate deleted
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

NTES always takes the time when the train passes calling on signal as the time it reaches the platform. Handy trick to reduce the delays officially.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

IPRCL in talks with Rlys for ₹15,000-cr project
Indian Port Rail Corporation Ltd (IPRCL) is in talks with Indian Railways to implement a ₹ 15,000 crore rail link project to connect Indore with Mumbai.

In this project JN Port will put in 51 per cent equity and the Railways will have put in 49 per cent of the funds, Anoop Kumar Agrawal, Managing Director, IPRCL, told this to BusinessLine.

The mandate of IPRCL involves implementing port-connectivity projects faster by putting in funds from the ports and Indian Railways.

IPRCL is a new firm set up by the Shipping Ministry to undertake projects as a part of port-led development scheme -- Sagarmala -- planned to make Indian products competitive.

The rail-link project will connect Indore, which is a container hub, with Mumbai in a shorter distance lowering the distance by 200 km from the present 850 km rail link between the two cities. The present rail link goes through Surat, Vadodara, Ratlam; while the new rail link with go through Manmad.

IPRCL is already implementing ₹ 6000 crore worth of rail link projects where it basically helps Railway speed up the project implementation.

Of these ₹ 1,000 crore worth of projects are being undertaken within the port boundary which involves tasks like improving the railway signalling system and tracks.

About ₹ 5,000 crore worth of projects are being implemented outside of the port boundary to the nearest railway link. These are largely projects like building a second or a third railway link parallel to the existing rail link, which are already congested.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Sicanta wrote:NTES always takes the time when the train passes calling on signal as the time it reaches the platform. Handy trick to reduce the delays officially.
Don't think so. NTES, I feel still has not got any auto-logging facility. The entries are manually made by Station Masters (and Cabin SMs) using a PC. And they royally fudge the data. NTES is riding piggy back on the same system which senior railway officials use to monitor the timely performance reports. A case in point. I had traveled on the SBC-KCG express which leaves SBC at around 1815hrs. Scheduled arrival at KCG is around 0545Hrs. I woke up at around 0400Hrs and had did a check. My phone's own GPS was showing the train to be some where near Budwal, where as the NTES was showing that the train is on time. When the train finally left Budwal and was approaching Falaknuma etc, NTES had "declared" that the train had arrived on time :eek: . It was only at around 0700Hrs that the train actually entered the KCG platform.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

went to KR Puram station early yesterday morning to pickup our maid who was returning from howrah by the howrah-yeshwantpur daily superfast express. it starts from hwh at 8.30pm and is supposed to reach kr puram at 5:40 on day3 but was acceptably late by 20 mins. the station was neat and clean, and was being broomed as I reached around 5:30am.

the train however painted a sad picture - a oldish electric loco whose details I forgot to note, the coaches were all of the old type and overcrowded to the hilt, I figured atleast 50% of the people were "extras" brought along by ticket holders for a "fee" . on one side our maid complained the train was like a local train , on her other hand she herself despite being on RAC and getting half a berth, brought along a friend as a extra to find a job!! so somehow 4 ppl shared the longitudinal seat in the day 2 RAC + 1 confirmed + 1 extra !! the coaches had the familiar coat of dust and the vague smells of sweat and urine. not a great sight to behold.

such is the economic failure and plight of failed dark territories in eastern india, there are many trains from howrah to blr every week and a few that come from bihar or eastern up via howrah to blr but not a seat to be found unless you book early. the station felt like a mini bengal. there are also multiple trains from assam to blr via hwh every week, but again full.

we seriously need triple- and quad- tracking to double the number of long haul trains & speed them up...and they will still see 100% capacity utilization. no seat goes empty on long haul trains.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:went to KR Puram station early yesterday morning to pickup our maid who was returning from howrah by the howrah-yeshwantpur daily superfast express. it starts from hwh at 8.30pm and is supposed to reach kr puram at 5:40 on day3 but was acceptably late by 20 mins. the station was neat and clean, and was being broomed as I reached around 5:30am.

the train however painted a sad picture - a oldish electric loco whose details I forgot to note, the coaches were all of the old type and overcrowded to the hilt, I figured atleast 50% of the people were "extras" brought along by ticket holders for a "fee" . on one side our maid complained the train was like a local train , on her other hand she herself despite being on RAC and getting half a berth, brought along a friend as a extra to find a job!! so somehow 4 ppl shared the longitudinal seat in the day 2 RAC + 1 confirmed + 1 extra !! the coaches had the familiar coat of dust and the vague smells of sweat and urine. not a great sight to behold.

such is the economic failure and plight of failed dark territories in eastern india, there are many trains from howrah to blr every week and a few that come from bihar or eastern up via howrah to blr but not a seat to be found unless you book early. the station felt like a mini bengal. there are also multiple trains from assam to blr via hwh every week, but again full.

we seriously need triple- and quad- tracking to double the number of long haul trains & speed them up...and they will still see 100% capacity utilization. no seat goes empty on long haul trains.
I am sure the scene is the same for trains heading to Bombay, Delhi and Madras as well as 2nd tier cities from the states in eastern India. Pity what idiotic politics does. Despite everything the Dravidian parties managed to pull TN from closer to UP to closer to Kerala social indices wise and close to Maharashtra economy wise. Laugh all you want at Amma and Artiste, in many ways the have done far better.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

just as 100s of millions abandoned cheen's interior for the gold coast, "vast legions" from the east and north are also on the move here , to the west and south. I think the four southern states have a lack of population vs available jobs and these "legions" are filling the gaps.

even bangladeshis have got on the "go to blr" bandwagon and agents exist who can provide harvest or cultivation season labour to large farms and spice/coffee/tea plantations in the south. was told so by a plantation owner in madikeri.

in andhra near tirupati my colleague was saying its also hard to get casual daily wage farm labour - he is trying to cultivate mango in family land - he said if he pays 500 AND provides chicken biryani and daaru after work, then people will consider else not.

hence I would say despite the 'social issues' of assimilation / periodic contests for jobs, these vast legions are helping to keep the cost of business low in many sectors.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:just as 100s of millions abandoned cheen's interior for the gold coast, "vast legions" from the east and north are also on the move here , to the west and south. I think the four southern states have a lack of population vs available jobs and these "legions" are filling the gaps.

even bangladeshis have got on the "go to blr" bandwagon and agents exist who can provide harvest or cultivation season labour to large farms and spice/coffee/tea plantations in the south. was told so by a plantation owner in madikeri.

in andhra near tirupati my colleague was saying its also hard to get casual daily wage farm labour - he is trying to cultivate mango in family land - he said if he pays 500 AND provides chicken biryani and daaru after work, then people will consider else not.

hence I would say despite the 'social issues' of assimilation / periodic contests for jobs, these vast legions are helping to keep the cost of business low in many sectors.
This kind of thing can be at best a temporary safety valve / survival thing. However, what REALLY needs to happen is that economic activity in the North & East has to be kick started. It is dead at present. In the long run, only productivity growth will create wealth. This filling of "low cost/casual jobs" are things that will be replaced by productivity improvements in a normal situation. Shipping huge loads of people to be maids, farm hands , unskilled labor etc, really doesnt do anything in the long run.

It is a shame really. The North and East lack NOTHING . There is ample, land, water, resources, labor (skilled and otherwise) and everything. It can literally change the fortunes of India if what happened in the West and South happens in the North & East as well. The numbers we are seeing of India's indices is dragged down by the underperforming North and East. A different trajectory in those states will see a massive improvement of India's GDP and social indices numbers. What North & East have in addition to it's abundant blessings is the curse in abundance of terrible politics as well. UP & Bihar and Bengal are absolute disaster zones. The commies basically put the lights out in Bengal and Mamta has nailed the coffin and buried it. There can be no economic turn around in Bengal and without Bengal, Eastern India is doomed. These places desperately need better governance and a business and investment climate. Atleast UP and Bihar have some hope of a turnaround if the current govts are thrown out. Bengal is a no hope area.

Pity . For e.g., we have a sofa-bed /futon that we bought close to a decade ago from Style Spa close to a decade ago and was now upholstery in tatters. I suggested SHQ to put it up for sale in OLX. SHQ checked the price of it as new and she decided she will get the upholstery redone. New one would have cost Rs 35000, OLX, we would have got 2000, re upholstering around Rs 8000 material + Rs 4000 labour. We got a tailor recommended by Style Spa come in, he took the old one with him, got a new one done in it's place with the material we gave and put it back on within 3 days. No mess, no working at home etc. He did an impeccable job with the stitching and fitting and had all the special needles and the stapling guns and everything to put it back in place. Stunning quality and it looks like it is out of a factory and freshly unpacked. The tailor and his helper were from Bihar. He did such a skilled job. Ideally guys like them should be working in a factory or subcontracting to a large scale guy doing good stuff.

WE should have been the factory of the world and NOT China. If not for the idiocy of the license permit raj and the "export pessimism " and the autarky of the ISI/DSE ding dongs of Mahlanobis and his Nehruvian ilk followed by the disastrous policies of Indira Gandhi, if we had been export oriented and let our people's natural skills flower, we would be far ahead of where China is today in terms of Global trade and economy and we would have been a 2nd world nation. It will take another 50 years from today, it is still possible. But for that India to the east of the line connecting Kanpur to Vizag should see a huge governance and attitude turnaround.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Add to that the train from CANT to howrah. I remember seeing one from chennai too. People bathing at night while waiting for the train to start, using water from the pipes between tracks at the station. Terrible sight but how else to manage when journey takes so long?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Prasad wrote: People bathing at night while waiting for the train to start, using water from the pipes between tracks at the station. Terrible sight but how else to manage when journey takes so long?
This reminds me of a journey which my cousin did in the early 1990s. From KL to Kejriwal's territory. The whole concept of "reserved accomodations" becomes non-existant after the train gets into the northern parts. Things are not clearly better in TN, AP side; but it is much more manageable. For my cousin, luckily the coach was occupied mainly be soldiers going back after the leaves. This kind of gave the impression that the coach was a "military coach". I remember him saying of how the soldiers used to pay a small amount to the safai karamcharis who do the water filling. They take quick baths with the water mean for the train's tank used for a quick shower :lol:.
Singha wrote:such is the economic failure and plight of failed dark territories in eastern india, there are many trains from howrah to blr every week and a few that come from bihar or eastern up via howrah to blr but not a seat to be found unless you book early.
I was waiting for the Kanyakumari Express (old Island Express) to come up at a station in KL. Before this train there is the Guwahati-Tvm express, and like you said the station was a mini West Bengal-Orissa-Assam at that time. Was standing next to an RPF PC, and I overheard the wireless messages. RPF men had to be posted with lathis near every reserved coaches, and they were told to whack any one trying to barge into reserved coaches. The train only has around 2-3 "General" coaches which gets filled up from the starting station itself.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:just as 100s of millions abandoned cheen's interior for the gold coast, "vast legions" from the east and north are also on the move here , to the west and south. I think the four southern states have a lack of population vs available jobs and these "legions" are filling the gaps.

Hmm. So PoonJab and Dilli don't have attraction anymore ? The rice eating south is the "in thing" now huh ? The lush greens of Kerala, the semi arid interiors of TN, unknown boonies in AP !
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

RPF guys behave differently with the class of the people doing journey in. Their response to a passenger travelling in 3rd AC for example would be totally different from that of with a general coach. A general coach passenger can never hope to be heard for his complains by these guys. On the contrary they are humiliated and even hectored by them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Punjab cultivation and ancillary sectors have eastern u.p and bihar labours seasonally i think.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Go to any train station at Rajpura, Fatehgarh Sahib, Khanna, Ludhiana, Phillaur, Jalandhar, Firozpur, Amritsar and from April - June and September - November you will see many punjabi farmers waiting at stations looking for laborers. Most of the laborers work in their own close groups (belonging to same village in U.P/Bihar) in punjab get a contract as a party and work seasonally. Some wants to migrate., one of my uncle (who is a doctor) servants shifted his family to Amritsar and his both sons are getting college educated now and speak Punjabi in Amritsari accent. Another person who was 16 years old and ran away from his house was involved in constructing our house (back in 1980s) and crying as it was too hard. I took him to my village and he stayed there taking care of buffaloes., since then he regularly goes back to his place in Bihar.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Sachin wrote: I was waiting for the Kanyakumari Express (old Island Express) to come up at a station in KL. Before this train there is the Guwahati-Tvm express, and like you said the station was a mini West Bengal-Orissa-Assam at that time. Was standing next to an RPF PC, and I overheard the wireless messages. RPF men had to be posted with lathis near every reserved coaches, and they were told to whack any one trying to barge into reserved coaches. The train only has around 2-3 "General" coaches which gets filled up from the starting station itself.
Last month travelled to kozhikode multiple times via train as well as bus thru wayanad. Saw groups of young men with Bosch machine tools coming or going in both train and bus. Gnerally seen at construction hotspots in blr like sarjapur etc these contract workers have discovered another greener pasture literally and figuratively.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ind ... 064264.cms
MUMBAI: The Indian Railways administration plans to begin construction work on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed corridor next year.

Railway board member (traffic) Mohammed Jamshed, who was in Mumbai, to attend the chief commercial managers' conference said, "Work on the hi-speed railway corridor will begin next year."
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

India may give second high-speed rail contract to Japan

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ind ... aign=cppst
India is exploring a proposal to award its second highspeed rail contract to Japan and the two sides would work on it during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s two-day visit to the country starting November 11.

This could be Japan’s second such project in India, just like the first high-speed rail link, which is based on the Shinkansen bullet train train technology and is proposed to connect Mumbai with Ahmedabad, indicated people familiar with the developments.

Sources told ET that Tokyo is likely to fund the project just like the first high-speed rail link. Indian and Japanese officials are discussing the proposal, including the route for the second high-speed rail link, which is expected to be built in southern or central India. Japan is keen to expand the highspeed rail network in India and the goal fits well with the Narendra Modi-led government’s stated agenda of revolutionising the time taken for train travel in India.
If it's south, most likely it'll be Chennai-Bangalore.
kaushik m
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kaushik m »

It could be Delhi Kolkata crossing UP. A very real possibility considering the coming election. I am not very sure about economics though.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

^^Or an extension of Mumbai-Ahmedabad route, northwards to Delhi or south to Bangalore-Chennai or perhaps East to Hyderabad via Pune (the engineering challenges would be immense)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Only Chennai Bangalore makes sense from an economic PoV, at least for now. Mumbai Pune Hyderabad is an option in the future, but terrain makes it unviable as of today.

Also the Japanese are not likely to get involved in funding something for a few decades as the UP elections are coming next year. No point speculating on such local issues.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

arshyam wrote:Only Chennai Bangalore makes sense from an economic PoV, at least for now. Mumbai Pune Hyderabad is an option in the future, but terrain makes it unviable as of today.
I think Delhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai corridor would be sensible as well, especially if they are able to sneak in some important towns enroute, plus it'll be easier to extend an existing route compared with a starting a completely new one.

Bangalore-Chennai Shinknasen would be awesome and viable.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Mumbai-Pune is another one that would work well.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Kashi wrote:
arshyam wrote:Only Chennai Bangalore makes sense from an economic PoV, at least for now. Mumbai Pune Hyderabad is an option in the future, but terrain makes it unviable as of today.
I think Delhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai corridor would be sensible as well, especially if they are able to sneak in some important towns enroute, plus it'll be easier to extend an existing route compared with a starting a completely new one.

Bangalore-Chennai Shinknasen would be awesome and viable.
True, but the report said south/central India. If it covers Udaipur, Jaipur and links Agra somehow (either bring the line close to, or provide a seamless link to another train), this route could benefit from/to tourist traffic as well. However, planning for the line may not take tourist traffic into account, one wants to rely on the steadier business traffic. Then there is Ajmer as well, but I don't know if the pilgrim traffic is well-heeled enough to opt for this. In any case, extending the line to Delhi makes logical sense, and will happen at some point. Especially once the DMIC becomes fully operational.

Mumbai Pune would work too, but tunnelling through the ghats would make it very expensive. Not sure if the Japanese would want to fund such a challenge on their second investment itself. Might make more sense if it can be extended up to Hyd and connect to a southern network (Chennai-Hyderabad-Bangalore). Better chances of patronage. Obviously, in the future onlee.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

arshyam wrote:Mumbai Pune would work too, but tunnelling through the ghats would make it very expensive. Not sure if the Japanese would want to fund such a challenge on their second investment itself. Might make more sense if it can be extended up to Hyd and connect to a southern network (Chennai-Hyderabad-Bangalore). Better chances of patronage. Obviously, in the future onlee.
Shinkansen passes through a fair bit of mountainous terrain with lots of tunnels (Much of Japan is mountains). Japanese are definitely adept at tunnelling and ghats will not be much of an engineering challenge for them. What's important is the rider ship. Till Pune, footfalls can be fairly guaranteed, beyond that will require detailed surveys.

Bangalore-Chennai-Hyderabad can be our very own "golden triangle". Connecting the two "grids" will be a long term plan as you said.

I am not sure how Delhi-Kolkata HSR link will work, population density is certainly there, but the economic viability is questionable, given the socio-economic status of the region. However, many flights on this sector have high occupancy, so I can see why some may wish to consider this route at least. But this wait until the Western and Southern routes are up and running
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

i have often seen in Shatabdi that some random passenger will be served Chinese or Continental meals.
How exactly does one book these meals, since they only offer veg/nv Indian to regular customers
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Kashi wrote:
arshyam wrote:Mumbai Pune would work too, but tunnelling through the ghats would make it very expensive. Not sure if the Japanese would want to fund such a challenge on their second investment itself. Might make more sense if it can be extended up to Hyd and connect to a southern network (Chennai-Hyderabad-Bangalore). Better chances of patronage. Obviously, in the future onlee.
Shinkansen passes through a fair bit of mountainous terrain with lots of tunnels (Much of Japan is mountains). Japanese are definitely adept at tunnelling and ghats will not be much of an engineering challenge for them. What's important is the rider ship. Till Pune, footfalls can be fairly guaranteed, beyond that will require detailed surveys.
Agreed, but I too wasn't talking about the whether the Japanese can do it. Even we could do it ourselves, with some consulting provided by them. It's just tunnelling through relatively stable bed rock, unlike say, the Himalaya. I was primarily concerned about the cost of this route, and since HSR is in the nascent stage in India, it may be less risky for them to fund a route with lower up-front costs like MAS-BLR. Once they have one or two routes up and running with decent patronage, they may be more confident in lending to more challenging projects.

Alternatively, they may ask us to put up a greater share in such projects to reduce their risk.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Doubling, where there is only a singleline is good. But quadrupling lines to deal with current East migrant traffic needs to be thought out, because once the East starts blooming (has to), traffic might flag down. That is a cheen kind of solution, with no thought about future maintanence or changes in tech/society. Rail infra is long-lasting and cant be easily re-purposed with demand changes. We should not be left with vast infra of under utilized tracks, like khan.

Maybe increasing the number of faster trains with hair-trigger signaling to deal with this cyclic migrant spike, along with DFCs for freight and fast-accelerating MEMUs on a third-line for shorter sub-urban/intercity stretches?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Good point. However, many sectors are over-burdened even without the migrant traffic. Local bus services are non-existent most places beyond the Vindhyas, forcing everyone to turn to trains. But let's say this also gets addressed and this demand goes away; IR will still need to run goods trains on most of these routes. Right now IR is struggling to retain its share of goods traffic against roads, having lost a significant share over the decades as the roads got better (and we are not even talking about growth). This is primarily due to its inability to run enough, speedy and punctual goods trains. The reason for this is the huge number of passenger trains of various speeds, introducing a lot of inefficiency in operations. This has resulted in 130-150% utilization (in the diamond quad, at least), squeezing engineering and safety margins. So these extra tracks will definitely help in that sense - distribute load, reduce utilization to a more manageable and ideal 70%, and punctual and faster goods trains. Only then can they retain goods traffic, and try to grow it back to the 70% or so it used to have, leaving the 30% to roads for last mile delivery.

Point is, quad tracks will not go waste, as they are needed for goods. Lots of goods. DFCs will only go so far - they cannot be built everywhere. Quad tracks will serve the purpose of DFCs in some stretches too. While most passenger traffic will shift to HSR anyway on the trunk routes, a good %age will remain to serve the less dense routes. And given our rather uniform distribution of population unlike China's, even if goods traffic is low on a route, some income can be derived by running passenger EMUs. So they won't really go waste.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

http://www.financialexpress.com/india-n ... es/436558/
Talgo, the Spanish manufacturer of high-speed trains, is all set to lease out 2-5 trains to Indian Railways in less than a year’s time. Sources with knowledge of the matter told FE Online, that Suresh Prabhu-led Indian Railways is awaiting a final approval of Niti Aayog, before officially telling Talgo to lease out its trains to India. Once the contract is signed, it will take Talgo less than a year to supply anywhere between 2-5 trains. “The train is likely to be of around 26 coaches each, so that the total capacity matches that of the existing Shatabdis,” sources told FE Online.
This is probably one of the quickest way to reduce the travel time. But wonder why it talks about leasing rather than buying as Talgo has done enough trials in India and IR should be knowing the various costs associated with running these trains.
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

5 trains - possible routes?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Leasing has less bureaucratic overhead and less capital outlay involved, in addition to eliminating the long term depreciation and maintenance question, since the diminished value used rakes are the lessors problem. It's reflected in how soon the rakes will be in service.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Wiki has this list of shatabdi trains:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatabdi_ ... bdi_trains

I think preference will be given to longer routes as time savings can be maximized compared to shorter routes.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

India signs $650 Million Agreement with World Bank for Eastern DFC-III Project
New Delhi: Government of India has signed Guarantee agreement with the World Bank for IBRD direct lending of US$ 650 mn to the Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL) for Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor-III (EDFC-III) Project (a freight-only rail line) that will help faster and more efficient movement of raw materials and finished goods between the north and eastern parts of India. The project was approved by the World Bank Board on June 30, 2015.
This project is in continuation of Phase-I and II of the EDFC Projects being implemented by the DFCCIL with the World Bank loan of US$ 975 million and US$ 1100 million respectively on the Dadri-Khurja-Kanpur; and Kanpur-Mughal Sarai stretches of the Eastern Rail Corridor (Ludhiana-Delhi-Kolkata).
The Eastern Corridor is 1,840 km long and extends from Ludhiana to Kolkata. The World Bank is supporting the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor (EDFC) as a series of projects in which the three sections with a total route length of 1,193 km will be delivered sequentially, but with considerable overlap in their construction schedules. EDFC 3, approved by the Board on June 30, 2016, will build the 401 km Ludhiana-Khurja section which goes through Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. The project will help increase the capacity of these freight-only lines by raising the axle-load limit from 22.9 to 25 ton axle-load (upgradable to 32.5 ton axle loads) and enable speeds of up to 100 km/hr. The DFC lines are being built to carry bulk freight trains of 6,000 to 12,000 gross tons. The project is also developing the institutional capacity of the DFCCIL to build and maintain the DFC infrastructure network.
ECOR to complete four Rail track doubling works this fiscal
Bhubaneswar: he East Coast Railway (ECoR) has decided to complete doubling of four railway sections and a portion of a third line project by the end of this financial year. It will also finish electrification work of three railway sections within this time.

ECoR sources said Tokopal-Bodearpur railway section (5.6 km long) of Jagdalpur-Kirandul doubling project will be completed by November-end. The project was started in 2011-12 at an estimated cost of Rs 1,160 crore.

The Sargipalli-Handapa section (14 km) of Sambalpur-Talcher doubling project will be completed by February 2017. The project was started in 2010-11 at an estimated cost of Rs 1,111.99 crore.

The ECoR has set February date for Titlagarh-Kantabanji section (33.29 km) of Raipur-Titlagarh doubling project, Chudangarh-Bhubaneswar New railway section (7.3 km) of Rajathagarh-Barang doubling project and Mancheswar-Bhubaneswar New section (6.66 km) of of Khurda Road-Barang third line project.

Railway normally begins electrification work after completion of railway line work. In this process, it has planned to finish electrification work of three sections by the end of this financial year.

Singapur Road-Lanjigarh Rd section (78 km) and Lanjigarh Road-Titlagarh Jn (47 km) of Vizianagaram-Titlagarh project will be completed by end of December this year and February next year respectively. The project was started in 2011-12 at an estimated cost of Rs 383.96 crore.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

http://www.railnews.co.in/fund-for-utta ... -projects/
The work of doubling of railway lines from Dehradun to Haridwar was in progress and would be completed by 2017 and the work of loop line construction going on and the Railways also working towards 18 coach train’s entry till Raiwala, which would be extended to Harrawala.

About the Railway line between Rishikesh-Karnprayag, the Railways had received the approval for the work under the phase-1 of the project till the Chandrabhaga River and the phase-II will begin after the completion of the work under the phase-1, he said.
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

Kashi wrote: http://www.railnews.co.in/fund-for-utta ... -projects/
The work of doubling of railway lines from Dehradun to Haridwar was in progress and would be completed by 2017 and the work of loop line construction going on and the Railways also working towards 18 coach train’s entry till Raiwala, which would be extended to Harrawala.

About the Railway line between Rishikesh-Karnprayag, the Railways had received the approval for the work under the phase-1 of the project till the Chandrabhaga River and the phase-II will begin after the completion of the work under the phase-1, he said.
They should consider installing Ropeways for such terrains they may be cheaper and easier to install and operate.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Trains To Soon Run At 160 kmph On Delhi-Howrah, Delhi-Mumbai Routes
New Delhi: After the successful launch of Gatimaan Express, Railways has undertaken a mammoth exercise of reducing journey time on the Delhi-Howrah and Delhi-Mumbai routes by increasing speed of trains to up to 160 km per hour at an estimated cost of about Rs 10,000 crore.

"We have firmed up an action plan to increase the train speed to up to 160 km per hour on the total 9000-km main trunk routes across the country as part of the Mission Raftaar project. To begin with we have started the work on two major busy routes of Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Howrah," said a senior Railway Ministry official involved with the project.

Railways has recently introduced Gatimaan Express between Delhi and Agra at 160 km per hour speed.

Strengthening of the track, upgrading of signalling system and fencing off vulnerable sections along the route are to be undertaken to ensure 160 km per hour speed on these two busiest corridors, as per the plan.

While the Delhi-Howrah route is used by about 120 passenger trains and around 100 goods trains every day, some 90 passenger services and an equal number of freight trains run on Delhi-Mumbai corridor daily.

"Once these two major routes are upgraded to 160 km per hour speed, there will be scope for launching more passenger trains in these sectors. This will reduce the waiting list of passengers in some of the popular trains as many more such services with similar facilities will be on the offer," the official said.

As far as cost is concerned, the official said, it is being calculated but approximately it is estimated to cost about Rs 10,000 crore for the two sectors.

All zones involving with these two corridors have been instructed to undertake the work on a mission mode so that trains can move at a maximum speed of 160 kmph in the next three years.

The 1400-km-long Delhi-Howrah and the 1500-km-long Delhi- Mumbai rail corridors are among the two major busy routes of the Golden Quadrilateral of Indian Railways. Other routes are Howrah-Chennai, Delhi-Chennai and Chennai-Mumbai.

Currently, Mail and Express trains including Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains can speed up to 130 km on these two busy routes.

"There are about 70 per cent of the total 2900-km-long routes of Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Howrah which are compatible of running trains at a maximum speed of 130 km per hour. So we have to upgrade the rest 30 per cent route up to 160 km per hour speed," said the official.

Some of the sections like Kanpur-Lucknow and Baroda- Ahmedabad routes are to be upgraded to make the entire Delhi-Howrah and Delhi-Mumbai routes ready for 160 kmph speed.

It is not only passenger trains but also freight service which will also be benefitted from the Mission Raftar project because goods trains will also be able to move in faster speed once these routes are upgraded, the official said.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Good initiative but as the Senna's and Schumacher's would say - average speed - what's my average speed going to be ?