LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by ks_sachin »

ks_sachin wrote:
Indranil wrote:Don’t worry Sachin sahab. At the very worst, they will end up with maintenance friendlier MK1 with an AESA radar and an SPJ.
Question is more of IAF crying wolf because of something missing..
However have HAL started work or are they waiting for Godot?
Last edited by ks_sachin on 25 Dec 2017 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

IR, a bit of confusion.
2nd line was Kiran hanger (and not Hawk line) right ?

If you get time, can you please write short note on current assembly line & in future what is planned.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

My understanding:

Current LCA line will call it Assy -1 is 8/year.
Second line call it Assy-2 was funded in March 2017 and also 8/year. Most reports say its Hawk hanger. I dont know if its the same as Kiran hanger bldg. Funds were Rs. 1331 crores. Delay raised price from Rs. 1231 stated last year in HAL chairman Raju interviews.

Now once SP-5 et al fly the second line is qualified.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

ramana wrote:My understanding:

Current LCA line will call it Assy -1 is 8/year.
Second line call it Assy-2 was funded in March 2017 and also 8/year. Most reports say its Hawk hanger. I dont know if its the same as Kiran hanger bldg. Funds were Rs. 1331 crores. Delay raised price from Rs. 1231 stated last year in HAL chairman Raju interviews.

Now once SP-5 et al fly the second line is qualified.
Thanks Sir. I've slightly different understanding.

Current assembly capacity is 8/yr.
However, currently we have 2 assembly line
- one with 5/yr.
- another one which was created by HAL in Kiran hanger with 3/yr.
These 2 make current Assembly Capacity as 8/yr.

New assembly line for Tejas (8/yr) will be coming in Hawk line with 1331 Cr. When it will be ready, total capacity will be 16/yr.

But that's my understanding, need not to be Correct.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ks_sachin wrote:
I am worried...
Sachin chill. Weight reduction takes time because it is like a chain. If you save 15 kg on the undercarriage you can then make the wing spar and undercarriage supports a little "thinner/lighter". If those become lighter, then the spar attachment to the fuselage can be made thinner/lighter. If that is smaller something else higher up the stress/G force chain can become lighter.For 15 kg saved on undercarriage total weight saving may be 100 kg as structural components higher on the weight bearing chain also get lighter. All have to be made with new specs.

Now if you already have manufactured items of old specs and 4 are already at different stages on the assembly line, then the new mods can only be implemented AFTER those 4 are done and delivered.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

shiv wrote:
ks_sachin wrote:
I am worried...
Sachin chill. Weight reduction takes time because it is like a chain. If you save 15 kg on the undercarriage you can then make the wing spar and undercarriage supports a little "thinner/lighter". If those become lighter, then the spar attachment to the fuselage can be made thinner/lighter. If that is smaller something else higher up the stress/G force chain can become lighter.For 15 kg saved on undercarriage total weight saving may be 100 kg as structural components higher on the weight bearing chain also get lighter. All have to be made with new specs.

Now if you already have manufactured items of old specs and 4 are already at different stages on the assembly line, then the new mods can only be implemented AFTER those 4 are done and delivered.
Shiv Saar,

Thanks. I think the festive season causes me a great deal of pessimism!!!
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:Ramana sir, SP5, SP 9, SP 10 are from line 2. Not only is this line in the same space as the Hawk line, it is run by the same people. Even on the Hawk line, there were initial hiccups. But after a while, they not only made up for lost time, but delivered the last few ahead of schedule
Old Kiran hanger you mean..? The line 1 prime. Line 2 which was recently approved is coming up in Hawk hanger isnt it..?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

This is the point that the good Prof.Das has been labouring for quite some time.Inadequate aero- engineering design expertise to streamline the architecture within the fuselage,etc.We are still- with the weight saving exercise, trying a hit or miss attitude.The AMCA policy spelt out in that td. shows that some lessons have been learnt and that the option of a firang partner in a JV , plus engine majors listed for the power plant,will significantly reduce design/dev. time.This the LCA has not benefited from, why as mentioned by some experts/IAF brass, every prototype was different from the other why manuals, etc. had not been passed on to the end user. I think that it is with the first LSP aircraft that some standardisation is taking place.

Here too quality is essential.Remember the remarks by an AM about no two canopies could be interchanged with similar aircraft without adjustments.Difficult to understand as surely in this day and age the use of precisely machined templates must be standard practice.Is this aspect why Rafale refused to guarantee the quality of Indian built aircraft?

Good to hear that the second line is humming and that the same folk are monitoring both lines.What about space in the JAG line? Are we still building Jags or has work on upgrades begun.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS,
Each in is right Line 1 is 5+3.
Line 2 will be 8.

Now what moron will create a Line eith just 5 over all the 17 years since LCA TD started.
Program was on IV all these years.

It was Parrikar who sanctioned the Line 2 at 8/ year. And it cost measly Rs1351 crores. Chimp change.
Idiots all conspiring to kill it.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Some of this unnecessary confusion was created by tarmak007.

It is simple. There are two lines. One of these lines was started earlier the other. This first line hasn't reached its full capacity of 8 per annum, but are close. The rate determining equipping-stage has come down to 45 days, but not everything has been streamlined to get the 8 per year. They should reach full capacity by 2018. The second line is just coming online. I could be wrong, but SP 5 is most likely its second aircraft. This line should come up to speed faster: By late 2018, early 2019. I am sure that they are the Hawk guys. I am not so sure of the hangar. It only makes sense that it is the Hawk hangar.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

This is my understanding. Which I posted a few weeks ago here.
JayS wrote:
Currently there are two lines with 8/yr each.

1. Original Line in LCA hanger - 8/yr as [planned]. Since it was laggarding at 5/yr, HAL went ahead with an extension of this with a secondary line in Kiran hanger with 3/yr. So total 8/yr (I had confirmed these numbers with AKN over twitter once).

2. The new line sanctioned by GOI recently. Its coming up in Hawk hanger replacing hawk line. This has 8/yr.

My understanding initially was that the outsourcing is for all the lines including the very 1st one. But in recent multiple interviews TSRaju is repeatedly saying that HAL has established 16/yr capacity and whatever the Tier1 companies can provide will add to this. And with that the rate can go to 24-25/yr. So what I understand from this is that HAL has established manufacturing capability of 16/yr now including sub-assemblies for them. So even if they do not get anything from vendors, they can still make 16/yr. Whatever the vendors supply, HAL will integrate adding to this capacity that it over and above 16. I think HAL will off-load the subassemblies from these 16 as well eventually. But as of now I sense that HAL has inhouse capacity to churn out 16/yr even without the Tier-1 vendors supplying anything. ( structural subassemblies I meant here)

Given that original line was designed at 8/yr but was functioning at 5/yr due to bottlenecks in assembly and the secondary line is augmenting it, its not too much stretch of imagination that once the assembly process is streamlined the 5+3 could become 8+3 or 8+4 in future.

I have always been of the opinion that the production rate of LCA can be easily hiked to 25/yr or even 32/yr in short time frame. From all the indications it looks like that's the case afterall and HAL is well on its way to achieve it if need be.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramana wrote:JayS,
Line 2 will be 8.

Now what moron will create a Line eith just 5 over all the 17 years since LCA TD started.

It was Parrikar who sanctioned the Line 2 at 8/ year. And it cost measly Rs1351 crores. Chimp change.
They didnt create 5/yr line. It was 8/yr only. But equipment stage was taking too long to reach that rate so they opened up a partial secondary line to argument, rather than waiting to streamline otiginal line.

I am a little confused on the cost of 2nd line due to DDM. Some reports say its 1300 odd Cr total out of which HAL pays 50%. While some others say, HAL's 50% itself = 1300Cr means total cost is 2500-2600Cr. Also slightly varying numbers to add to confusion. Need to have some authoratative ref such as MoD report or ADA report or CAG report.

PS - OK. MP in Aero India presser said second line at govt investment of 1359Cr. So thats total cost. Half from HAL. Work should have started by May 17 and actual production expected in 2-2.5yrs. That is mid 2019 or 2020 early.

https://youtu.be/fHXZTuw8rFo
At 2.00min
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Philip wrote:This is the point that the good Prof.Das has been labouring for quite some time.Inadequate aero- engineering design expertise to streamline the architecture within the fuselage,etc.We are still- with the weight saving exercise, trying a hit or miss attitude.The AMCA policy spelt out in that td. shows that some lessons have been learnt and that the option of a firang partner in a JV , plus engine majors listed for the power plant,will significantly reduce design/dev. time.This the LCA has not benefited from, why as mentioned by some experts/IAF brass, every prototype was different from the other why manuals, etc. had not been passed on to the end user. I think that it is with the first LSP aircraft that some standardisation is taking place.

Here too quality is essential.Remember the remarks by an AM about no two canopies could be interchanged with similar aircraft without adjustments.Difficult to understand as surely in this day and age the use of precisely machined templates must be standard practice.Is this aspect why Rafale refused to guarantee the quality of Indian built aircraft?

Good to hear that the second line is humming and that the same folk are monitoring both lines.What about space in the JAG line? Are we still building Jags or has work on upgrades begun.
I wrote a long response and I deleted it. Because it is useless to give you the facts. It has been given to multiple times.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Philip wrote:This is the point that the good Prof.Das has been labouring for quite some time.Inadequate aero- engineering design expertise to streamline the architecture within the fuselage,etc.We are still- with the weight saving exercise, trying a hit or miss attitude.The AMCA policy spelt out in that td. shows that some lessons have been learnt and that the option of a firang partner in a JV , plus engine majors listed for the power plant,will significantly reduce design/dev. time.This the LCA has not benefited from, why as mentioned by some experts/IAF brass, every prototype was different from the other why manuals, etc. had not been passed on to the end user. I think that it is with the first LSP aircraft that some standardisation is taking place.

Philip you make me wonder sometimes!!!!
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

JayS wrote:
ramana wrote:JayS,
Line 2 will be 8.

They didnt create 5/yr line. It was 8/yr only. But equipment stage was taking too long to reach that rate so they opened up a partial secondary line to argument, rather than waiting to streamline otiginal line.

I am a little confused on the cost of 2nd line due to DDM. Some reports say its 1300 odd Cr total out of which HAL pays 50%. While some others say, HAL's 50% itself = 1300Cr means total cost is 2500-2600Cr. Also slightly varying numbers to add to confusion. Need to have some authoratative ref such as MoD report or ADA report or CAG report.

PS - OK. MP in Aero India presser said second line at govt investment of 1359Cr. So thats total cost. Half from HAL. Work should have started by May 17 and actual production expected in 2-2.5yrs. That is mid 2019 or 2020 early.

https://youtu.be/fHXZTuw8rFo
At 2.00min

I think JayS is right. That is also my understanding after clarifying and re clarifying with tarmak through Twitter and email. 5 bottleneck eventually to 8 + (3/4 from it's own fund) + govt snactioned 8 line, taking the total to 20 very soon.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

JayS I think you meant augment!!!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Indranil wrote:Jay,

I think they are thinking on similar lines. I don't know the length of plug that they are going to add. But if they go for a 1 mtr or longer plug, then a close coupled canard makes a lot of sense. I don't know what would differentiate the Gripen NG from the LCA Mk2 then. :D I was thinking that they would go with an active extended levcon like the PAKFA. But, they are considering an MKI kind of layout (-the tailplane).

Sachin sahab,

That is why they are trying to limit the scope. We will know in 6 months for sure. AESA/avionics/SPJ/EW is okay. They have experience and HAL is a very good systems integrator. Those can be ironed out with time as well. Just get the airframes out first. And to do that they have to complete the re-layout, and freeze the design. And that is my biggest worry. I don't have a lot of confidence in HAL's fixed wing aero department. If they manage this part, I am not worrried of the others.
IR, your earlier post mentioned that they have NOW started to burn the midnight oil for the Tejas AF Mk2..does that mean that whatever had caused the work on the Mk2 to stall was on ADA's end and not the IAF or MoD? Is the program now gathering pace with the full backing of all the stakeholders? If so, I'd be extremely happy to hear that, given that I fervently believe that the Mk2 will be the ultimate fighter evolution of the Tejas and if they put their heads to it, can serve the IAF well for another 35 years, well into the 2050s.

And what you and S Jha are saying about the team looking at close coupled canard config, well its frankly quite stunning to hear that, considering that they had looked at canards as part of the original studies into the LCA configuration. Apparently back then, they somehow completely changed the configuration with the cranked delta being the opposite of what you see in the wind tunnel model here. Gone too were the close coupled canards. Perhaps they weren't too confident about the FCS that would be required for such a configuration back then. Some say that the Dassault/ADA team that did the studies didn't find that much more use in going with canards and hence decided to abandon that type of config.

Very Gripen like, as you said. But as JayS mentioned, going with a 1m plug (if they do that is, in place of a 0.5m plug as was being planned as of 2016 at least) will impact the instability margin and perhaps that is another reason for examining the possibility of canards. And perhaps with the existing instability margin, they didn't need canards.

Could it be examined as a way to improve the lift-to-drag ratio during turning maneuvers? Here's a very interesting bit of theory on the close-coupled canard configuration and its benefits over a normal tail less delta
Close-coupled canard

Wing wake and its downwash diminish horizontal tail's control effectiveness. However, canard is located in wing's upwash, meaning that its influence is magnified, which results in the center of the lift being moved forward more than canard size would suggest. This destabilizing effect has in past meant that a very forward Cg position was required, but has proven beneficial with advent of unstable fly-by-wire aircraft.

Since aircraft with close-coupled canard are dynamically unstable, they typically show better pitch rate through the angle of attack range than non-canard aircraft of the same configuration. Additionally, large momentary enhancement in lift is observed when canard pitches up rapidly to high angle of attack (this assumes that canards are used for pitch control), thus improving pitch onset/turn onset rate.

Canard's own downwash can impede lift generation of the parent wing at low angles of attack, but this effect can be countered by proper horizontal and vertical positioning of the foreplane. This is to say that canard has to be high in relation to the wing, as can be seen in Saab's Viggen and Dassault's Rafale. Additional consideration is wing sweep angle, with 45* being ideal as at that sweep angle canard has relatively little influence on the lift generation. At higher angles of attack, downwash can suppress the flow separation on the wing, thus improving lift and reducing drag.

Aircraft with close-coupled canard does not have to have as large amount of statical instability as one with long-arm canard or tail, since close-coupled canard naturally creates an area of low pressure on forward part of the wing. This results in center of lift being moved forward, increasing aircraft's instability to levels beyond what would be expected by taking lift from the wing on its own.

Both canard and wing producing two sets of vortices - one from tip and another from root. In close coupled-configuration, canard tip, canard root and wing root vortices all help increase lift at high angles of attack. Mutual influence of canard and parent wing means that free-roling vortices are stabilized and vortex bursting is delayed, especially at high angles of attack; an additional vortex may be formed on the wing where canard downwash suddenly decreases effective angle of attack. Wing vortex also moves canard wortex inward. As a result, wing's trailling-edge control surfaces remain effective at far higher angles of attack than in a long-arm or tailless delta configuration, as vortices allow air flow to remain attached for longer and vortex bursting point reaches wing trailling edge at a higher angle of attack than it would without presence of a canard (vortex breakdown is delayed for both wing and canard vortices, increasing effectiveness of both surfaces at high angles of attack). Necessary wing twist is also reduced, as outboard vortices help prevent the wing tip stall, while inboard vortices increase body lift in addition to improving wing lift. Effects of outboard vortices on wing tip also result in improved roll rate and roll response, especially at high angles of attack.

This also results in improvement in the maximum lift, which can be as much as 20-30% greater than what is achieved by surfaces in isolation, as well as improved lift for most, if not all, angles of attack (all close-coupled canard configurations discussed in various documents I have read experience lift increase at AoA above 20 degrees, and many experience lift increase at AoA as low as 10 degrees, albeit at low AoA lift enhancement is so minor so as to be insiginificant. At 20 degrees AoA, lift increase in one case was 34% compared to the sum of lift produced by wing and canard on their own. Angle of attack for maximum lift is also increased). Enhancement is largest for canard above and just in front of the wing, and wing camber and twist have no effect on the lift increase; lift improvement is maximized when canard area is 25% of the wing area, and best relation between lift and L/D ratio was achieved in 45*-swept canard. Canard trailling edge and wing leading edge should be as close as possible, but should never overlap else a loss of lift occurs. Beyond Mach 0,9 however, close-coupled canard has little effect on lift.

As a result, aircraft with close-coupled canard configuration tend to have better air field characteristics and maneuvering performance than they would if canard was removed. A series of tests with F-4 that had canard mounted on the upper forward portion of the air inlets revealed that addition of canard would allow the aircraft to pull a full g more at 470 kph and 9.000 m, and would also lower the approach speed by 14 kph. Israeli Kfir, a modification of Mirage 2000, used close coupled canards to improve airfield performance, as did Saab Viggen. Thanks to favorable canard-wing vortex interactions, Viggen achieved 65% greater lift coefficient at approach than a pure delta wing, reducing takeoff and landing speeds for STOL capability. Use of close coupled canard gave Viggen much greater trim control, and allowed it to use elevons to enhance lift at takeoff, where tailless delta's elevons would subtract from lift.

Aside from increase in lift, close-coupled canards help reduce drag in maneuvers at all angles of attack but lowest (10* AoA or less) ones, and reduce drag for the same turn rate compared to the canard-off configuration. There are three primary causes for this. First, since increase in lift is apparent even at low angles of attack, close-coupled canard configuration needs lower angle of attack for the same wing size, or less wing size for the same angle of attack, to achieve same lift-to-weight ratio; this results in the same turn rate being achieved with less drag penalty. Second, close-coupled canard supresses flow separation. Flow separation (stall) is a major source of drag, and in delta wing configurations without close coupled canard, first stall can happen at angles of attack well below those required for maximum lift. Third, close-coupled canard configuration requires less control surface deflection (trim) to maintain same angle of attack, thus reducing trim drag.

All these factors combine to reduce drag for given lift. In fact, lift/drag ratio for close-coupled canard configuration can be 10% greater than for canard-off configuration.

Additional factor is the design influence. Strongest wing vortices are produced by sharp-edge, highly-swept planforms which have low L/Dmax and thus poor range and endurance, and high approach speed. Thus a selection of a more adequate planform requires an additional mechanism to produce and/or energize vortices.

Canard is set at neutral AoA during subsonic cruise, producing no lift and causing minor drag penalty. Position of canard ahead of wing also helps move center of pressure forward relative to the center of mass, creating a naturally unstable configuration.

At supersonic speeds, close coupled canard configurations experience less center of lift shift, reducing induced and trimmed drag compared to tailless delta and long-arm canard aircraft. This is partly offset by comparably minor drag from the canard itself. There is little effect on lift or drag during supersonic maneuvers, and close coupled canard combined with ventral intake actually increases supersonic drag. At transonic speeds, benefits are same as on subsonic speeds.

Close coupled canard also delays buffet onset and reduces buffet intensity. Additional benefit is controllability at post-stall angles of attack, which is important mostly for safety considerations - close-coupled canard configurations remain controllable at angles of attack up to 100-110*, with no risk of getting trapped in superstall. Further, if FCS is properly developed, close-coupled canard can help dampen roll and yaw oscillations, thus guarding against the wing roll and sideslip; but if FCS is not properly developed, these problems can be magnified. Close coupled canard configurations also have acceptable spin behavior. In emergency, canards can be feathered, rendering aircraft stable or neutral.

While high canard (canard is above the wing) has been discussed here, most of these effects are true for coplanar canard as well, albeit coplanar canard is significantly less effective, and does not increase aircraft's instability level beyond effect of the canard itself (which, for control canard, is zero at subsonic speeds). Low canard, on the other hand, creates low pressure area at wing's lower surface, causing pitch down moment. Additionally, low canard prevents formation of wing leading edge vortices; both these effects reduce lift compared to the wing alone, coplanar or high canard configuration. Another possibility is an oscillating canard, which would significantly enhance wing pitch response.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

I think we missedthis news ( MBD-if-RP)

IAF Southern Command chief takes Tejas for a spin
http://www.asianage.com/india/all-india ... -spin.html

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Philip wrote:This is the point that the good Prof.Das has been labouring for quite some time.Inadequate aero- engineering design expertise to streamline the architecture within the fuselage,etc.We are still- with the weight saving exercise, trying a hit or miss attitude.
Overengineering is a safe and standard route to take. Under engineering and getting a much lighter aircraft would have been a risky gamble - because if a component failure had brought a plane down no one would have known what exactly had failed.

Das has his views - but ultimately Das is stuck in the Gnat era. He excels in details of that era. In any case the argument put forward is like "If my aunt had a dick she would have been my uncle. All water down the "Kaveri" now.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Philip,

Why stuck in the past? Come back to 2017 :wink:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Was there are any benefit in performance seen with the NLCA's "Lerxes"? Amazingly this same debate was going on in BRF in Nov.2010! Vina asked whether Levcons in the LCA were the equiv of the Euro- canards? Back to Das and over- engineering.Yes, OE may be safe but comes with penalties! The genius lies in knowing where and how to pare off weight without failure. Even in the JSF programme some wing spars failed/cracks appeared, but there is no substitute for design knowledge and experience .The LCA appears to still be on the learning curve.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Philip wrote:The genius lies in knowing where and how to pare off weight without failure.
There is no genius there. It is just experience and time. Unless we give them a chance, inefficiencies and all without verbally beating the shit out of them because we all know all this much better than them - nothing will ever come fruition. The HF 24 went down the same way. We were to damn clever for ourselves.

Let me point out our own sophistry in this discourse. The DRDO/ADA thought they knew a lot - but they bit off more that they could chew when they started the LCA project and we lost decades. But they are bashed because they had accountability, having agreed to make the plane. In our case - we as observers (and that includes Prof Das) are equally confident that we know it all - but we don't have to actually make anything and we are therefore above criticism. This is not about you but every single guy on here including clever clogs who speak of re engining with oversize engines like fixing a 6 foot penis on a man

Every one of us knows everything there is to know about making aircraft. Its just that no one has made any and we are not actually going to allow anyone to make any because we know so much
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Well said, Doc!! It is noteworthy that those few people on the forum who have any knowledge about aircraft design are most circumspect about dispensing advice while the most vociferous are also those who rely on the internet for their expert advice.
Last edited by Anoop on 25 Dec 2017 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Philip wrote:Was there are any benefit in performance seen with the NLCA's "Lerxes"? Amazingly this same debate was going on in BRF in Nov.2010! Vina asked whether Levcons in the LCA were the equiv of the Euro- canards? Back to Das and over- engineering.Yes, OE may be safe but comes with penalties! The genius lies in knowing where and how to pare off weight without failure. Even in the JSF programme some wing spars failed/cracks appeared, but there is no substitute for design knowledge and experience .The LCA appears to still be on the learning curve.
So now they know where they can pare off weight.
Knowledge and experience comes with the hard yards not by some magic wand!!!
If the LCA crashed because it was under engineered you would be the first criticising all and sundry!!!
Read Jay or Indranil post on the canard - there is a reason they are exploring it again!!!
Seriously Philip we come here to have a knowledgeable interaction. If you cannot add value why post?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Same 2 u2! This canard debate in 7 yrs old.Over engineering, playing it safe adds weight.I've asked the Q whether the NLCA lerxes as did Vina 7 yrs ago, was found to be equiv. to the eurocanards.What's objectionable about That? We're still attempting to refine the LCA after 30 years.Does it not show some lack of engineering experience?The IAF ( not moi) has categorically stated that only MK-2 will meet thier performance reqs.MK1/1A are interim solutions.When will the refining of the bird end? Does anyone at the ADA or HAL know or have given a finite deadline? At some point the design/dev. stage must end and production begin if the aircraft is to be built in sufficient numbers on time and be a useful addition to the IAF's fleet.Please read the archives and LCA debate from the yr. 2000 , you may understand better what I'm saying now.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Philip wrote:Same 2 u2! This canard debate in 7 yrs old.Over engineering, playing it safe adds weight.I've asked the Q whether the NLCA lerxes as did Vina 7 yrs ago, was found to be equiv. to the eurocanards.What's objectionable about That? We're still attempting to refine the LCA after 30 years.Does it not show some lack of engineering experience?The IAF ( not moi) has categorically stated that only MK-2 will meet thier performance reqs.MK1/1A are interim solutions.When will the refining of the bird end? Does anyone at the ADA or HAL know or have given a finite deadline? At some point the design/dev. stage must end and production begin if the aircraft is to be built in sufficient numbers on time and be a useful addition to the IAF's fleet.Please read the archives and LCA debate from the yr. 2000 , you may understand better what I'm saying now.
What happened to the SU-47 Berkut or MIG 1.41 or numerous such aircrafts designed and developedby Soviet Union/USA/Canada etc?

From your prvious posts, I can make out you know zilch about aircraft design and the numerous iterations it undergoes before the final product is delivered. But the condescending manner in which you give expert comments is bewildering!

The knowledge base and infrastructure available when the LCA project was conceived was rudimentary. From there we have reached here, with people involved swimming against the tide, crossing numerous hurdles and swallowing criticism from people like you. Isn't that a great achievement?

It is posts from people like you which has made this forum less intersting...

Back to lurking
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

No one is denigrating the efforts put in over decades! However, how long would anyone wait for your order in a restaurant? 20 Mts ? 30 Mts ? One hr? You get the pic.If food doesn't arrive no matter what alluring smells come from the kitchen, patrons will leave in search of another.
The starters have just started arriving with the LCA, main courses yet to arrive.

Personal bias shows up in the two above posts.I don't make personal attacks so quit the crap Geeth please.If you find my posts boring don' t read them! Many others find them interesting.Your personal bias smacks of a lawyer who thumps the table when his argument is weak!
If you don't agree with my observations, objectively counter.

We're not talking about Russian aircraft here , we're talking about our own LCA for which the taxpayer has funded, for 3 decades now.The sooner results start arriving the faster the robber barons at the gates, SEF/ TEF etc., will disappear.

I'm still waiting for the answer posed 7 yrs ago by Vina whether the NLCA lerxes were as effective as canards.The IN tested the NLCA extensively, rejected it on other grounds- underpowered, overweight, etc. but the effect of the lerxes is available.If I recollect there was something perhaps in Vayu a couple of years ago.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

So does HAL has capacity of 16 or 20, it's still not clear. The sad part is, each one of us is afraid that somehow LCA order will be cut back and not more than handful will be built. Right now if you are reading tea leaves accurately, it has huuuuuuuuge political backing (IAF south CinC flying, Navy head saying they will continue funding, Singapore def min flying, all within a week of bad press coming out) all points to that. It cannot fail now, minus some grand conspiracy, like magically the f404in is denied or 2032/2052 is no longer available (radar should be manageable - we can perhaps fly it with A-A mode Uttam) OR change in govt. Now any delay/stoppage is our inefficiency/deficiency.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There is a lot at stake not just for the IAF/ DRDO/HAL but also the govt. with its make in India thrust/mantra.Success in the LCA will be a massive proven point.You're right about the pressure.Finally the principal stakeholder is using the whip.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Mod Note: Irrelevant and unacceptable posts will be simply deleted. No personal attacks please. If you dont like certain post, report it.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

OK, enough backbiting.

Philip, You don't know till you do it.

Dr Das Bless his heart is a side observer. No doubt more informed as he teaches but still an observer.
To me now he is like an ox let off in the village main street making a nuisance of himself by saying "Ambaa!' now and then.

Folks people got upset when I created the Whine thread where people can post whatever is worrying them.
Right now I see too many whines without any information.

Sachin you are leading the pack. I see you doing this in quite a few threads.

Why not start the New Year on an optimistic note informed by facts?

Philip no more quoting the dear Doc Das.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Philip wrote:Same 2 u2! This canard debate in 7 yrs old.Over engineering, playing it safe adds weight.I've asked the Q whether the NLCA lerxes as did Vina 7 yrs ago, was found to be equiv. to the eurocanards.What's objectionable about That? We're still attempting to refine the LCA after 30 years.Does it not show some lack of engineering experience?The IAF ( not moi) has categorically stated that only MK-2 will meet thier performance reqs.MK1/1A are interim solutions.When will the refining of the bird end? Does anyone at the ADA or HAL know or have given a finite deadline? At some point the design/dev. stage must end and production begin if the aircraft is to be built in sufficient numbers on time and be a useful addition to the IAF's fleet.Please read the archives and LCA debate from the yr. 2000 , you may understand better what I'm saying now.
Who, when and where from IAF said "catagorically" that only MK2 meet IAF's requirement..?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

IR, The original LCA considered canards and dispensed with them as too many control surfaces which would make the control laws more complex. It might still be a trade study for Mk2.
I don't like that as it complicates and adds one more source of instability to the design.

I used to have old articles from Interavia by Hormuz Mama on this.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Philip wrote:The LCA appears to still be on the learning curve.
As compared to the awesome service record of fulcrums in Naval service. Or R-77. Or trying to assess the cost of Gorshkov.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ramana wrote:OK, enough backbiting.

Philip, You don't know till you do it.

Dr Das Bless his heart is a side observer. No doubt more informed as he teaches but still an observer.
To me now he is like an ox let off in the village main street making a nuisance of himself by saying "Ambaa!' now and then.

Folks people got upset when I created the Whine thread where people can post whatever is worrying them.
Right now I see too many whines without any information.

Sachin you are leading the pack. I see you doing this in quite a few threads.

Why not start the New Year on an optimistic note informed by facts?

Philip no more quoting the dear Doc Das.
You are right Ramana sir. My point though was that there are enough facts available. Anyway I shall cease and desist.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Thakur_B wrote:
Philip wrote:The LCA appears to still be on the learning curve.
As compared to the awesome service record of fulcrums in Naval service. Or R-77. Or trying to assess the cost of Gorshkov.
Why just the navy? the original Fulcrum had given the IAF an awfully severe period of "learning" while all its teething issues were being resolved. But then, that is what product design is all about. It is an iterative process and refining continues with time. The more experienced one gets, the likelier that the refinements work, since they've already experienced for themselves as to what works and what doesn't. But Product Design is all about trying out various configurations and fixes, so they'll look at it from every angle if they can.

The biggest issue with aerospace programs however, is that testing and certification of all the refinements takes a lot of effort and time, which means you don't get that many chances to improve on a design wholesale. The Tejas Mk2 is that one rare opportunity to fix things that the ADA/HAL/IAF combine can see now that we've flown our fleet for over 4000 flights. It MUST be grabbed, and adequate funding must be provided, for us to get to the most optimal variant of the Tejas. It is also the one and only opportunity to almost get to the Mirage-2000 range/payload level, instead of just being a MiG-21 replacement that then gets dinged for being exactly what it was designed to be. The Gripen E would've been perfect, had it been our own. It isn't, which means that however good it may be, and however attractive the technology transfer or whatever, the Tejas Mk2 has to be the way to go.

Some know it all types, who actually may not have done anything on their own, will make it appear that they had foreseen it before it happened itself. Or that they knew all along that the "other" guys were just plain incompetent, whereas they, dispensing free advice while doing zilch, just know what is inherently wrong by simply looking at the problem from a 1,00,000 feet above. Prodyut Das is one such person. Pompous, full of it, and condescending to the core. I've read other aerospace authors too, people who've worked deeply on programs and nowhere have I seen such a lot bile and bitterness towards fellow designers. Maybe they ignored his suggestions on something in the past, or slighted him in some way, who knows.

His hatred of indigenous designers has gone to the extent of calling the Tejas a lemon while praising the JF-17, despite the fact that it offers absolutely NO advantage over the Tejas, and in fact has seen major re-designs on 2 occasions with the single seater and will be seeing it again for Block 3 as well. I mean this man criticized the Tejas over its weight, claiming it should weigh 5400 kgs, whereas the JF-17 actually weighs ~50 kgs more than the Tejas! Someone needs to call out such a man for his BS! No composites, no full FBW, poor view out of the cockpit, fewer hardpoints, no HMDS, no LDP or other targeting pod as yet, which means barely any PGM capability and still, apparently as per Prodyut Das, it is quite something. I find such "analysis" so biased as to be worthless. I quit trying to find any nuggets in his articles long ago, since he basically totes outdated info anyway.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The LCA appears to still be on the learning curve.
And, that is a very good thing. Nobody us going to share their wares with you. Books can only teach you so much. Models can do a bit better. It is the actual stuff that is the best and many times the only teacher. Failures are real good indicators of progress. And, if one looks at the stuff from the past, luck is a huge factor.

Which is why I had called the LCA , about 2 years ago, a tech demo. It is the only real, live platform on which Indian MIC can learn. And some elements of the IAF needs to support that learning curve. There is really no other way around it. Which is why I believe the AMCA will turn some heads. But the platform to experiment with will remain the LCA.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I will set aside from Philip sir's nonsensical comments. Show me an aircraft, civilian or military, which hasn't been optimized in tranches over decades and then we can talk. Such comments show zero understanding of how aerospace programs are run and I have no problems calling it nonsense.

I think Prof Das's reports are grossly misunderstood and misrepresented. He never asked for non-iterative design. He is no fool. In hindsight, many believe that a JF-17 like approach would have been more pragmatic. But today's LCA is ahead of JF-17 in almost every aspect except production schedule. Even the Pakis get that. Of course, he does back of the envelop calculations which may be detached from reality.

There have been a lot of discussion on the LERX on LCA, there purpose and efficacy. To say, that they didn't it work shows that one's inability to comprehend what is going on. The LERX worked, so much so that they were considering getting them for the AF versions too. Till now the LERX could only be set at a few specific deviations and was controlled by the pilot like how the flaps work. But they were planning to make it an active surface like the slats which are governed automatically by the FCS.

Ramana sir and Kartik you are correct. They studied the canard on LCA quite extensively. They obviously decided not to go with it. The reasons you mentioned are also correct. No significant gains were observed from windtunnel studies for the complexities involved.

Today, the situation is very different. They have a world-class FCS that can take care of one of the most (if not the most) unstable fighter in the world today. It is not complex because it handles only 3 kinds of surfaces for directional control, but it is very robust. It has not failed the team even once till now. Now, they are very confident to go for the incremental changes. They have a very good foundation.

There other aspects as to why they are considering the canard now.
1. It is one of the paths of minimum change. They can put a long plug behind the cockpit and add a canard just there. The CP and CG move by almost the same amount. Static margin remains the same. Inlet and engine coupling remains the same. The structures remain virtually unaltered.
2. They are trying to increase L/D and CnBeta. The canards can help for both of these.
3. If you look at the area curve, there is a kink behind the cockpit. If they just added the plug, they would have elongated it. With a canard they can also fill it out.

By the way, they are just studying the canards. No decision has been taken yet.

Kartik, you asked about why Mk2 has come back to the table. It was always on the table for ADA. But ADA is a revenueless organization. It has to be funded for work to continue. Right now the cost of Mk2 development is mostly in the salaries of the employees. Until recently, the salaries were tied to sanctioned projects. For Mk2 there was some money sanctioned in the beginning and then everything dried up. Now, a decision has been taken by GoI to delink the salaries from projects. It just comes from a different fund. So, once again the men can go back to work regarding Mk2.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

If I remember right the LCA CLAW is really made from readings in various regime and then an equation (or many in different regime) derived out of it (rather than finding a universal equation in all regimes). So if there are 300 points reading, putting one more surface (canards), there will be one hell of permutation/combination to test through.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Not to go off on a canard about canards, the question remains why not stick with the levcons. Seems like the Russians took a leaf from the ADA book for the pakfa in this matter and looks like it works.

A larger LCA could do well with tvc and levcons for slow speed handling?