Only way to stop it is to impose severe costs...sometimes it means letting the retaliation play out. That is the only way of effective communication. In UP CM has used both offensive action of police and legal means to impose financial costs. It has had a salutory effect...atleast for now.
Vidurji: This is where I beg to differ. This "only way" is **NOT*** the best, and it is in fact destructive. It does not distinguish between innocent and guilty.
Many legendary "mass punishments" have been played up as "Accha! That eej the only way!"
1. Stalin sending millions of Ukrainian "kulaks" to Gulag
2. Stalin then sending more millions of Ukrainians to Gulag for siding with the Nazis (see above why)
Even today, this results in Ukraine posing a huge threat to Russia.
3. General Custer delivering mass punishment to Native American villages. Kill'em all, only good injun is a dead injun. I won't mention the detailed atrocities..
4. British Govt used to enforce Mass Fines on places if they committed crimes such as choosing to feed their babies before the British Govt.
5. British sending 15,000 man Army (mostly Indians) to "punish" afghans. 15 returned.
6. Moplah Riots. True, it stopped the riots cold, but was it essential to go kill all villagers?
7. Hyderabad Razakars. Now **THERE** AFAIK, it was done more intelligently: the Razakars were rounded up and executed. Massive Failures:
1. Godhra 1992-2002. Godhra was allowed to become a Pakistan. A schoolteacher who raised the Tricolor on Aug 15 was killed. On Feb. 28 2002 this came to a head with the train-burning.
- what the GOI SHOULD HAVE DONE:
a) encircle the town using parachute-regiment
b) Herd everyone into the town plaground.
c) Separate out those who were in the mob.
Put the rest in a holding area. Take the rioters out of town. Send them to military courts for swift sentencing. Shoot them. Return ashes to families in garbage bags.
These should have been done IMMEDIATELY, to stop the riots that followed.
2. Punjab 1980s.
Pakistan/Canada/British funded terrorits were allowed to murder Hindus and Sikhs in Punjab for far too long. You know the rest. But the "solution" was **NOT** to murder innocent Sikh Indian citizens in Delhi. The solution was what was implemented by the incredibly brave men of Operation Blue Star, and those who worked with Shri KPS Gill.They DID kill the TERRORISTS - not innocent women and old folks and children sitting in their homes.
Such tactics are the tactics of cowards, murderers, and utterly incompetent,dishonest "administrators". All who deserve hanging from the nearest lamppost.
In the case of Delhi, here is what I hope the GOI does:
1. Fire the AAP govt and put Delhi under Martial Law, not just President's rule. OK, it conveys a grim image to have the capital of the world's greatest Democracy run by the military, but for a month that is OK.
2. Use facial recognition software etc and root out every rioter.
3 Put them before the Military Court.
4. Sentence the violent ones to death, others to 2 years hard labor.
5 Make them all disappear.
6. Implement Yogi's scheme of forcing rioters to pay for all damage incl, by selling their homes. Otherwise they can do it by breaking rocks the rest of their lives.
7. Close down Jamia Millia. Get the mgmt to repay fees of any student who was **NOT** out rioting.
8. Bring bulldozers and convert it to a playground and park in honour of the murdered IB officer and policeman.
9. Same with rioters' homes. Raze them, convert them to parks.
"revenge" against law-abiding citizens based on prejudice and bigotry.