India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

nam
BRF Oldie

Re: India's Border Security with China and Pakistan-2020

Post by nam »

We should have conditioned Chinese access to our market on their support to Pak and their behavior on LAC. Chinese have the best of both worlds. They are arming and supporting Pak, causing ingression on LAC and having major exports to our market.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Sanju wrote:rs_singh & RaviB have made excellent posts and your contributions are much appreciated.
100% fully agree. Kudos to both of you!
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Dilbu wrote:US shifting military to face Chinese threat to India and Southeast Asia: Mike Pompeo
The Chinese threat to India and Southeast Asia is one of the reasons the United States is reducing its troop presence in Europe, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday in response to a question at the Brussels Forum virtual conference.

Pompeo was asked why the US had reduced the number of troops it has based in Germany.

The US Secretary of State said that if US troops were no longer there, it was because they were being moved to face other places. The actions of the Chinese Communist Party meant there were “threats to India” and countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and the South China Sea. The US military is “postured appropriately” to meet these “challenges of our time.”

NO THANK YOU
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

fanne wrote:
Y I Patel wrote:A lot of puzzle pieces fall in place if you read above IE article posted by NATO with Shiv Aroor map I posted last night. Will post more tonight but big picture - Bottleneck is confirmed as apex of Shiv Aroor triangle that shows location of Chinese camps. Bottle neck is to its west. Big confirmation that all of Depsang plains under Indian effective control. Rest is info warfare
which article?
I guess he meant this one https://t.co/DyH4bzdLmY
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

India Today reports that India handed over a dozen wounded Chinese soldiers including a Colonel within a few hours while China took 24 hours to hand over our 50 odd wounded and held back the 10 soldiers released after 3 days.
How China delayed in sending back Indian soldiers | Inside track
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

^^ What was the reason for our magnanimity when they were till holding our soldiers?
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Let me hazard a guess, eagerness to de-escalate.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

nam wrote:We should have conditioned Chinese access to our market on their support to Pak and their behavior on LAC. Chinese have the best of both worlds. They are arming and supporting Pak, causing ingression on LAC and having major exports to our market.
I shouted this on all forums but nobody listened. Better late than never.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Sanju wrote:Twitter
Lt Cdr Shashi Singh (R)
@shashisingh0707
Global times on his 14th page published that 55 chinese PLA personnel including 1 Colonel rank n 1 ADM officer of same regiment and 4 captain rank officers died on 15/16 June in clashes at Indo chinese border.
Doubt that GT published anything. This seems to be an older picture.

But good psych-op

Two can play the game
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Sridhar K wrote:
fanne wrote:
which article?
I guess he meant this one https://t.co/DyH4bzdLmY
That article claims that the bottleneck is 18km inside our side of the LAC and the Chinese have deployed upto there.
Vadivel
BRFite

Post by Vadivel »

RaviB
BRFite

Post by RaviB »

Rakesh wrote:
Sanju wrote:rs_singh & RaviB have made excellent posts and your contributions are much appreciated.
100% fully agree. Kudos to both of you!
Thank you, Sanju ji and Rakesh ji
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rs_singh wrote: ...

Keep fighting the good fight y’all! And apologies for the long, very long, post.
Are you kidding? I for one ate it up. The more you can share in this line, the better.
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

https://twitter.com/GeneralBakshi/statu ... 37088?s=19
Media Reports indicated that the Chinses have moved their S-400 AD missile system to Ladakh. This is currently The worlds most advanced system and Indicates that the Chinese are Now really mortally scared after 15-16 June Clash.

Is it about to begin ??
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Larry Walker wrote:https://twitter.com/GeneralBakshi/statu ... 37088?s=19
Media Reports indicated that the Chinses have moved their S-400 AD missile system to Ladakh. This is currently The worlds most advanced system and Indicates that the Chinese are Now really mortally scared after 15-16 June Clash.

Is it about to begin ??
/sarcasm on
There is a report that the Chinese Aircraft carrier in construction has gone missing.
They are likely going to teleport it to the Ladakh to help hold the Finger 5-8.
/sarcasm off

It is posturing and huff-puff. They want India to fold and will continue to apply psychological pressure in various forms.

India needs to hold the line.

So far Indian posture has been to de-escalate. That may have emboldened them....

If it does get into a kinetic shooting war, they will throw in their best.

But can they fight on the ground?
Aditya Watts
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Watts »

Dear experts, I just found this clip Made by a CRPF trooper. https://twitter.com/bhaveshsaspara/stat ... 86976?s=21

He is mentioning that he is heading for the border towards Palin something. Palin is in Arunachal Pradesh. My questions are: what would the CRPFs role be in this case? I was under the impression that this border was manned by the ITBP. Or is it simply to move more or less all possible uniforms towards the border to support the Army? I thought the CRPF is more for internal policing and COIN. Thanks for your help.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Hero of Galwan valley 23 years old Gurtej Singh of 3rd Punjab Ghatat Platoon killed 12 chinese soldiers by himself.

https://theeasternlink.com/the-supreme- ... 6vR6ceTT64
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Aditya Sharma: You are un-necessarily trolling and derailing the thread. You have been banned. Goodbye.

Why are people responding to trolls? When you see a troll, highlight the post and mention that in the thread. One of the mods will take care of it. Everyone else, please ignore the troll. Don't add to the noise. Thank you.
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

https://youtu.be/uCoYEXC4XzE

Excellent interview with Lt Gen DS Hooda, former Northern Army commander.
2 points that come out of it
1) no 2 neighbouring nations have ever risen peaceful together
2) Chinese are showing hegemony and want to put down India in eyes of world community - basically show India it's place. They don't covet any of the lands where they have intruded.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

SBajwa wrote:Hero of Galwan valley 23 years old Gurtej Singh of 3rd Punjab Ghatat Platoon killed 12 chinese soldiers by himself.

Bajwa Ji, Tej of Guru's Khalsa, Purja-purja kat mare kabhu na chhade khet. It's so very heartbreaking seeing this loss, but his parents must be very proud of him.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

jagga wrote:
SBajwa wrote:Hero of Galwan valley 23 years old Gurtej Singh of 3rd Punjab Ghatat Platoon killed 12 chinese soldiers by himself.

Bajwa Ji, Tej of Guru's Khalsa, Purja-purja kat mare kabhu na chhade khet. It's so very heartbreaking seeing this loss, but his parents must be very proud of him.
++108 Pranams
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

This needs to be posted in full....but I cannot!

The sheer bravery...WOW! Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rakesh wrote:

This needs to be posted in full....but I cannot!

The sheer bravery...WOW! Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal!
If true, this needs to go national via the bigger media outlets. Astonishing bravery!
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

A tribute by a soldier from the Sikh Regiment on June 22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

and some more of the heroics of Khalsas of the 3 Medium Field Regiment at Galwan.
https://theeasternlink.com/bole-so-nihal-sat-sri-akal/
Last edited by ldev on 26 Jun 2020 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

This is an important set of tweets from Rohit Vats.

Goal is to highlight that there will be a lot psych-ops where the usual suspects will scream about surrender, when the issue is years or decades old.

https://twitter.com/KesariDhwaj/status/ ... 79488?s=20

+
When analyzing reports about the Chinese having intruded 'X' km inside Indian territory, we ideally need these data-points:
1) Indian territory from which point?
2) Indian claim line?
3) What is the difference in km between the Indian and the Chinese claim line?

+

For example, in Pangong Tso, it is 8 km between F4 and F8.
3) How much of this claim does still hold? As in, how much west have the Chinese already come between 2000-2014?
4) How much of are on our side of LAC do they occupy and in how much do they patrol?
+

- For example in Pangong Tso, Chinese built road in 1999 but have occupied the area now.
- In DBO sector, news reports talk about two things -
(a) area on our side of LAC under physical Chinese control + roads built further west.
(b) Roads built into our side LAC.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ldev wrote:A tribute by a soldier from the Sikh Regiment on June 22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

and some more of the heroics of Khalsas of the 3 Medium Field Regiment at Galwan.
https://theeasternlink.com/bole-so-nihal-sat-sri-akal/
I am truly in awe of these men. Wow! Jai Hind!
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

This might explain the explosion and the landslide on that fateful night.

https://twitter.com/Editor_Orbat/status ... 16003?s=20

"1/2 Prasun Sen Gupta has sent some fotos, and says Indian troops have managed to seize some heights in Galwan Valley (I assume on our side). I dont see how a human can climb this rock without the fully monty, forget about settig up posts"

Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Rs_singh wrote:Keep fighting the good fight y’all! And apologies for the long, very long, post.
Don't apologise. Your post and RaviB's are among the most valuable we have seen here in quite a while. However, you'd better prepare yourself for a finger-wagging lecture soon, telling you not to "underestimate the enemy". That is the risk taken here by anyone posting anything negative about the Chinese.

BTW, re. the abbreviations/acronyms in your post -- I assume BDU is Battle Dress Uniform?? What is LBV?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

VikramS wrote: For example, in Pangong Tso, it is 8 km between F4 and F8.
3) How much of this claim does still hold? As in, how much west have the Chinese already come between 2000-2014?
4) How much of are on our side of LAC do they occupy and in how much do they patrol?
+

- For example in Pangong Tso, Chinese built road in 1999 but have occupied the area now.
(a) area on our side of LAC under physical Chinese control + roads built further west.
One question to be asked is what exactly is the mandate given to the Army in dealing with Chinese intrusions across the LAC (as we understand it). On the LOC, any pakistani soldiers crossing over can be and are summarily engaged with all available weapons once detected and either forced back or killed. But on the LAC we seem to have the no firearms agreement which has amazingly held for decades it seems. Even in the current face-off where there were casualties firearms were not used. Our response to intrusions has been to either resolve it using talks or in some cases fistfights and brawls to remove them.

Is it time that the orders for troops on the LAC should mirror those on the LoC? Any intrusion into our territory across the LAC whether for the purposes of patrolling or infra construction is dealt with in the same manner as a similar intrusion would on the LOC by pakis. I am not advocating for starting a war. Hell we use everything from rifles to artillery and ATGM's on the LoC without starting a full blown war. No reason we cannot use limited localized force on the LAC as well, provided we have enough forces available in the area to deal with possible ramifications in the form of reprisals from the PLA.

Unless this happens, I cannot understand how we are supposed to stop the creeping occupation of our territory bit by bit which is what the Chinese are attempting. Places like Depsang are particularly vulnerable considering the proximity to DBO. If they are building roads on our land, at what point do we give up on the talks (which look more and more like a time-wasting tactic by the PLA for them to continue building up forces) and use localized force (and I'm not talking about sticks and stones here) to destroy or capture that infra which they are building.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

nachiket wrote:
VikramS wrote: For example, in Pangong Tso, it is 8 km between F4 and F8.
+

One question to be asked is what exactly is the mandate given to the Army in dealing with Chinese intrusions across the LAC (as we understand it). On the LOC, any pakistani soldiers crossing over can be and are summarily engaged with all available weapons once detected and either forced back or killed. But on the LAC we seem to have the no firearms agreement which has amazingly held for decades it seems. Even in the current face-off where there were casualties firearms were not used. Our response to intrusions has been to either resolve it using talks or in some cases fistfights and brawls to remove them.

Is it time that the orders for troops on the LAC should mirror those on the LoC? Any intrusion into our territory across the LAC whether for the purposes of patrolling or infra construction is dealt with in the same manner as a similar intrusion would on the LOC by pakis. I am not advocating for starting a war. Hell we use everything from rifles to artillery and ATGM's on the LoC without starting a full blown war. No reason we cannot use limited localized force on the LAC as well, provided we have enough forces available in the area to deal with possible ramifications in the form of reprisals from the PLA.

Unless this happens, I cannot understand how we are supposed to stop the creeping occupation of our territory bit by bit which is what the Chinese are attempting. Places like Depsang are particularly vulnerable considering the proximity to DBO. If they are building roads on our land, at what point do we give up on the talks (which look more and more like a time-wasting tactic by the PLA for them to continue building up forces) and use localized force (and I'm not talking about sticks and stones here) to destroy or capture that infra which they are building.

Deve Gowda government signed this no arms agreement with China back in 1996 (I believe). Lt. Gen Harinder Singh who is the commander for the troops in Ladakh and Kashmir has given full control to the soldiers. Chinese even tried to get Lt. Gen Harinder singh removed through their mouthpiece Congress. Army General Navrane had to put his foot down and ignore the attempts to remove Lt. Gen Harinder Singh from that area.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

ks_sachin wrote: Why do we even need the heights? That is not a rhetorical q by the way.
Okay, since it is not a rhetorical question, I'm going to hazard an answer. We need the heights for (presumably) : (a) observation and reporting back to senior commanders before the firing starts, and (b) shooting direct-fire small arms from the heights down to the valley once the firing starts.
Also in the narrow valley our Arty boys will have a field day no?
By now they will know the coords for maximum damage like the back of their hand.
They may know the target coords like the back of their hands, but they don't know where their shots are landing unless they have forward observers (OPs / AOPs) reporting the fall of shots back to them.
It will be a turkey shoot.
Turkey shoots generally require the shooter to have the turkeys in direct observation. Without this, the shooter is just firing blind.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

VikramS wrote:This might explain the explosion and the landslide on that fateful night.

https://twitter.com/Editor_Orbat/status ... 16003?s=20

"1/2 Prasun Sen Gupta has sent some fotos, and says Indian troops have managed to seize some heights in Galwan Valley (I assume on our side). I dont see how a human can climb this rock without the fully monty, forget about settig up posts"

A) That red line, supposed LAC, is in the wrong position in that picture when it crosses the Galwan. That little triangle is within Indian territory - on the right

B ) LAC, mostly, runs along ridges for the most part. Valleys, flat land, and bodies of water are obvious exceptions and are contested. That white line is about 10-12 storied building climb

C) IA has fully trained men to climb and run down such mountain faces, fully kitted. I am not sure, but, I think such men are trained for both high altitude and mountain. (In addition in guerilla warfare?)
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Additionally, while most borders tend to be either along the highest ridgeline (which is why Everest, K2, Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, etc are on borders) or at rivers, WHICH ridgeline, or which river might be contentious... We see this in the Hot Springs area where the Chinese are claiming a triangular portion enclosed between two tributary streams coming down from the high ridges. I suspect Pangong Tso is also a similar situation. Not to say that any of these claims are valid; just that this logic provides the Chinese with some fig leaf to claim an LAC position that is unrealistic and untrue.

We also see the same issue with rivers in the Lipulekh area, and even between China and Nepal, where the borders were demarcated based on the river, but thanks to upstream Chinese water works, the rivers themselves are changing course, effectively moving the border in China's favour (they only have 100 or so border pillars along the Nepal-China border compared to 8000 or so between Nepal and India).
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

nachiket wrote: One question to be asked is what exactly is the mandate given to the Army in dealing with Chinese intrusions across the LAC (as we understand it). On the LOC, any pakistani soldiers crossing over can be and are summarily engaged with all available weapons once detected and either forced back or killed. But on the LAC we seem to have the no firearms agreement which has amazingly held for decades it seems. Even in the current face-off where there were casualties firearms were not used. Our response to intrusions has been to either resolve it using talks or in some cases fistfights and brawls to remove them.

I am not privy to what the actual mandate is. I can take a guess.
Here is the background:
  1. GOI's knows that settling the border is hard. The CCP wants to do it in its own terms. GOI would like to do it in her own terms.
  2. A lot of the terrain in question is at heights which can not be occupied through out the year. Permanent presence there is going to be expensive to maintain.
  3. There is also some understanding that the area vacated by the PLA after the 1962 war would be treated as a buffer with limited Indian military presence. This is something I read recently but do not have a reference.
  4. PLA has been doing sporadic construction in that buffer area. However their pace has picked up a lot over the past 9-12 months.
Current Situation
  1. So the PLA has decided to exert their version of the status quo more aggressively. india is asking PLA to restore the status-quo.
  2. Their build-up is strong and unlike anything seen earlier; they are also linking up with the Pakistanis
  3. From what Panag https://theprint.in/opinion/china-is-on ... ry/448105/, their interest right now is to exert their authority as the Biggest Dog in the world, and get other neighboring states to pay tribute to them.
There has been a miscalculation that as long as India does not ally with the US, China will leave her alone. That strategic independence doctrine has fallen apart since the Chinese do not see it that way.

Indian Plan to Hold theLine
  1. Mobilize armed forces and ensure that PLA does not cross Indian red-lines.
  2. PLA stopping the flow of the Galwan was one such red-line. IA took appropriate action.
  3. Use diplomacy and talks to figure out a solution.
PLA is continuing to build up the pressure with CCP activating the Rajasthan sector. It seems PLAAF has taken over a few PAF airbases opposite the Rajasthan border and also strengthening the border defense for PA (pillboxes/bunkers) in that sector. There are reports of S400 being deployed in Ladakh area even though they do not have the longest range missiles.

This is going to be a hard decision for India. Either she will have to
(a) Yield and make some concessions.
(b) Hold the current line, bide time, and build strength to resist
(b) Go kinetic and take military action to restore the status-quo.

The first one is what the Chinese typically prefer; winning the battle without firing a shot.

The third one is the more risky choice for both the countries. Any conflict can spiral to a level which is not planned. And it can put India's economic development back. PLA also runs the risk of losing some land battles.

The second one is perhaps the safest one for both in the short to medium turn. Chinese will continue to exert pressure, and keep India on the defensive. India will continue to hold the line with continuous talks and pressure.

The good thing for India is that national elections are almost four years away. So any holding the line or concessions right now may not have a huge political cost for GOI.

Indian Preferences: (b) (a) (c)
Chinese: (a) (b) (c)

Hopefully this is also a wake-up call to India to:
(a) Ramp her MIC and domestic arms industry
(b) Form closer partnerships with other like-minded democracies worried about the rise of the CCP led PRC. My sense is that India will have to provide the men; others may chip in with material.

One thing for sure: the post pandemic world will be different from the pre-pandemic world.

India's situation is more complicated since the outcome of the US election, and US attitudes towards China are unpredictable.

There is uncertainty about how Trump will deal with China in his second term if he gets re-elected. Will it be more pressure, or was the stance only to get him re-elected and he will focus on his own personal business interests.

There is also not much clarity on how far Biden's team would go to push China.We do not expect the Trump type rhethoric. However, will the pressure continue in the background or things go back to business as usual.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Unbelievable may god give Gurtej Singh the highest honer in heaven and provide comfort to his family.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

While I typically refrain from sharing anything Ajai Shukla writes, http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2020/06/ ... e-but.html seems to be devoid of any rhetoric and describes the current situation.
rajpa
BRFite

Post by rajpa »

RaviB wrote:
Rs_singh wrote:I’ve been lurking on this forum since early 2000s but lost touch (and my old account) after I left desh. Loved the posts from RaviB about the Chinese psyche. I can definitely second a lot of that. Let me share my own experience of interacting/training with PLAGF officer cadets during a mutual training exchange. Note- this is from 2009, a bit dated but perhaps still relevant and hopefully gives you an insight into their tactical thinking.

<snip to not crowd the thread>
One final request , can dear leader 11 have an additional name? I propose GEISHA - great emperor incumbent of the superior Han army.

Keep fighting the good fight y’all! And apologies for the long, very long, post.
Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful post. I haven't had much contact with Chinese soldiers, so this is very enlightening.

I was thinking Nau-Do-Gyarah but I think GEISHA is perfect :D

Something that's also very relevant to understanding the PLA: Corruption in China’s Military Begins With Buying a Job https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rance-exam
On the topic of GEISHA, one might add the slogan Xi's a Qunt.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

rajpa wrote:On the topic of GEISHA, one might add the slogan Xi's a Qunt.
I like Xinnie the Pooh. :-)