Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by vijayk »

vish_mulay wrote:What is happening is that everyone is in CYA mode. Out here in NSW Downunder, the number of patients hospitalized are ~300 as of today when more than 3000 new cases are identified daily. At the peak of the delta wave in Oct, ~1200 patients were hospitalized for around ~1500 daily cases reported. Out of 300 hospitalized, only 33 are in ICU. Considering Omni has become the most dominant strain in the USA as of yesterday, it will be interesting to see the US hospitalization trend in the next 7 days to make a judgment call. Overall, I am not convinced that we need to press the panic button. My in-laws in South Africa are back to work and routine life. No mass hospitalization, impending collapse, or increase mortality rate. No one took booster so far in my extended family and 3 members were down with Omni. 2 were asymptomatic and detected because of exposure surveillance and one had mild arthralgia and night sweats. All are recovering well. Everyone is double vaccinated with AstraZeneca.
What medicines are being used in South Africa for Omni? Any idea?

I still some issues there.

Hospitalizations rose and deaths are now going up
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

UK still looks OK but we need to wait 2 more weeks to get a better picture on Hospitalization and Deaths

chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Okay, some good and bad news.

Just before X'mas, diplomatic boycott of winter Olympics, and just after non-profit called Fizer manged to sell $8bn of its newly approved COVID pill to govts. around the world, positive news has started flooding with the dramatic decline of Omicron cases in SA.

(WaPo) South Africa’s huge omicron wave appears to be subsiding just as quickly as it grew

Out of curiosity I pulled up few english website of South Africa, and very limited references to COVID and Omicron. They are more interested in future and Ramaphosa and entertainment than Omicron. Perhaps someone from SA may have better perspective.

What is the bad news? HE IS BACK....Given UP22 and GE24, India must stay super cautious.

World could be entering worst part of pandemic: Bill Gates on Omicron surge
The Microsoft co-founder revealed that he was forced to cancel his plans for Christmas and urged people to take the spread of the new variant seriously.

"Just when it seemed like life would return to normal, we could be entering the worst part of the pandemic," wrote Gates.

"Omicron will hit home for all of us. Close friends of mine now have it, and I've cancelled most of my holiday plans.

"Omicron is spreading faster than any virus in history. It will soon be in every country in the world.

"The big unknown is how sick Omicron makes you. We need to take it seriously until we know more about it. Even if it's only half as severe as Delta, it will be the worst surge we have seen so far because it's so infectious."
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

tenaliram wrote:@Amber G. Could I get the link to your twitter feed? I used to find your articles, analysis and links very informative and I am not sure if you have stopped posting here and only post on twitter now. Thank you in advance.
For obvious reasons I have chosen not to link my other social media posts here. I will post some of my points here. (Hope that these kind of posts don't get "poofed" by some hyper mod).
Lisa wrote:Amber G.
7 Days no post. Miss reading and getting information that helps all of us. Kindly do the necessary.
Have been very busy - among other things pouring on South Africa/US/UK detail data and talking with other scientists.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor (though siblings/children/nephews/students are and I can ask them questions) so I am lookin the data through math modeling .. fortunately the fine-grain data is available and a few things we can say with fair confidence now. Still just take this points FWIW. I am responsible for the points I am making here - though most graphs here have been agreed upon by other scientists I trust.

For background - lot of my points (and vocabulary) is based on SUTRA model - just check out A Novel Approach to Modelling Pandemics with Applications to COVID-19

Vocabulary:
(Roughly: β is contact parameter (akin/similar/related to R), ρ = is reach of pandemic, ε= ratio of tested/reported to total cases (including undetected infected). γ is taken as 0.1 ~equivalent that the infected period last for about 10 days)

-- South Africa has more or less reached the peak. As predicted long ago the peak occurred when it was predicted by the model. (It peaked on 17th December - pretty close to Sutra - prediction - (which was Dec 18-23) giving us confidence that the parameter values are reliable). This helps us to more accurately predict for other countries.

Feeding data for many countries of Europe, US and India - and seeing that model fits quite well.
(More technical details later) -
A new phase in SA - β increased from 1 to 1.35 and ρ increased from 0.86 to 1 (It is nearly 100% which means that they are loosing immunity provided earlier)

But for India and US here are the main points:

For India,
Remember India is similar to South Africa in some crucial aspects. Both have young population (about 80% population is below 45 years). Both have high natural immunity (around 80%). Last wave in both was due to Delta-mutant. Differences: SA has lower vaccine immunity than India (25% vs 40% doubly vaccinated). Vaccines used also differ (primarily Pfizer and some J&J vs Covishield and Covaxin ). SA had Beta-mutant that India did not. Omicron seems to be bypassing vaccine immunity in a major way (J&J is nearly worth-less, pfizer - fully vaccinated about 35%), and natural immunity to an extend (~18% for SA). India's figures would be similar (or we can extrapolate).

So for India we take these figures are
β ~ 0.54
ρ ~ 0.95
ε ~ 1/33
natural immunity ~ 83%.
Covidshield (from UK data) is doing poorly (but much better than J&J which is nearly ineffective along with some other vaccines like Sputnik - (More of this later in separate post)

So here is the graph - not different than the one I posted a few weeks ago.
(Credit for above graph and data - SUTRA team / IITK and others)

End of February about 200,000 per day new cases. Lockdown, curfews, people using masks and massive vaccinations (Boosters/Covavax/Covaxin etc) can change the situations -- lot of crowds etc can too.

Meanwhile India seems to be okay as far as hospitalization is concerned - About 200,000 beds in mid march.

I will post similar analysis for US and some of my thoughts in separate posts.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

^^^ thanks for sharing. thats an ominous sign. hope the govt postpones elections and approves boosters.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Amber G. wrote:
tenaliram wrote:@Amber G. Could I get the link to your twitter feed? I used to find your articles, analysis and links very informative and I am not sure if you have stopped posting here and only post on twitter now. Thank you in advance.
For obvious reasons I have chosen not to link my other social media posts here. I will post some of my points here. (Hope that these kind of posts don't get "poofed" by some hyper mod).
Lisa wrote:Amber G.
7 Days no post. Miss reading and getting information that helps all of us. Kindly do the necessary.
Have been very busy - among other things pouring on South Africa/US/UK detail data and talking with other scientists.
Thank you
Would Booster help India?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For US:
Things look extremely scary. (Compared to India)

The near-vertical case growth in US in multiple U.S. cities, - doubling every 2-3 days..

Some estimates now reaching > 1 million cases/day before the end of the year and reaching a around 1.4 million cases at the peak.. (Here the numbers are estimated total (not reported) cases.
(Credit: covid19 healthdata )

----

SUTRA model values for USA In case you want to do draw your own graph(it is drifting so not stable) β ~ 0.63 ε = 1/4.5, ρ = 0.9
---
Many places distributing free rapid test kits, N95 Masks.
Highly recommend: to get mRNA booster shots. (These reportedly restores the 75% effectiveness against symptomatic infection). Also extremely important to use N95 Masks when in crowded indoor area. (Caution: Some of the KN95 masks (especially those made in China) are *not* good quality - so please check that these are certified. - Similarly in India, not all "N95" masks sold are best quality so please make sure that these are good quality masks).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From a Biorixv article (and quite a bit discussed in lot of media): Vaccine Ranking: Ranking of ability to neutralize Omicron—Moderna appears to be the strongest ]against Omicron in this study, but still big drop. Pfizer next best (but we know infection efficacy is 30-34%), AstraZeneca (Covidshield) is poor - Sinopharm poorer . J&J & Sputnik = close to zero.

Broadly neutralizing antibodies overcome SARS-CoV-2 Omicron antigenic shift

Have not seen Covaxin data (there may be more data later from India). SinoVac —one of the world’s most widely used vaccines, doesn’t provide sufficient antibodies to neutralize the Omicron variant .
But a 3rd shot booster seemed up help (according to them)
(Other recent large South Africa study reports 2 shots of Pfizer offered 33% VE against symptomatic infection; and 70% against hospitalization (much lower than the 90s prior). SA has mostly Pfizer and J&J.
This is why everyone is talking about boosters.

(Note: In India's case - in the graph posted above - the assumption is covidshield (main vax in India) is performing poorly as in SA case. The vaccines do help to serious illness, so 200K hospital beds projection etc is very reasonable - more of this later - More data in India and we can draw better forecast).
Also in these study of neutralization, they also found 2 shots of AstraZeneca was pretty weak. (also found Moderna weak but in their population, Moderna folks had a 4 month gap between shots.) But mixing AZ+Pfizer seems pretty good. Similar strategy may work in India.
(India admin and scientists are aware of all such studies so they will be able to make right decision .. about boosters etc depending on what is available etc).
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Maam, per your information (discussion with Indian scientists & others who have access to GoI folks), when might India start booster doses (at least for aged folks)?
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

@suraj San , what’s the state of covaxin production rate? We will need these for boosters.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Amber G.

So very nice to see you posting again. Thank you.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

guys coming from a hakim get the booster shot asap. if you are close to 6 months from the second dose get a booster asap. case loads in hospitals rising significantly in nyc . Do not be alarmed, mortality is less than before but be forewarned. Booster may not prevent you getting the infection but may reduce severity. continue covid appropraite behaviour for the foreseeable future.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Why is Omicron more infectious than Delta? Is it because it beats immunity much more easily or is it also because it survives longer outside the body like in air and on surfaces?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

IndraD wrote: <<< "No evidence that Omicron is less severe than delta

Imperial College UK
early data on Omicron shows it is as deadly as Delta
Similar finding in Columbia US study.
Adjusted severity of Omicron vs Delta (*intrinsic severity* versus *observed severity* of Omicron, which reinfects & evasive against 2-vaccine shots.) Various studies indicate that after adjusting for factors, Omicron is only slightly intrinsically milder ~2%-12% then delta. IOW Omicron **looks** milder because breakthrough (and reinfected) people have higher protection from severe disease. (And don't forget - delta is about 2-4 times severe than original Wuhan version)

What's more relevant “milder” won’t save us, even if it’s 10x milder (which it is not) because the exponentially fast doubling time of Omicron can easily swamp out a lower severity by doubling the case count! And doubling in 2 days (in NYC for example)!!

Mathematically “mild but faster” virus will often kill & harm more people than a virus that is slower & more severe. Even if just 2x more transmissible & 1/10 less deadly! Folks who call Omicron “nature’s vaccine” need to stop the public endangerment.

Graph credit Dr. Gosia Gaspero
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Something strange observation ... Both in SA and Denmark.

Graph goes up straight and goes down sharply
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Suresh S wrote:guys coming from a hakim get the booster shot asap. if you are close to 6 months from the second dose get a booster asap. case loads in hospitals rising significantly in nyc . Do not be alarmed, mortality is less than before but be forewarned. Booster may not prevent you getting the infection but may reduce severity. continue covid appropraite behaviour for the foreseeable future.
Coming from a parent/grandparent -same message. As soon as one can get it, get a Booster. True also for children - get the shot as soon as possible. Many countries are more aggressive - USA, Canada, (+ most in Europe) are allowing/recommending/encouraging for all adults. Children above 5 years need to get a shot too.

Of course, if you have not gotten your first (or second) shot - Please get it *as soon* as possible. (For US/Canada the choice is essentially between Pfizer and Moderna. For India important past is to get *any* vax as soon as possible)

Current advise is mRNA (Pfizer, Moderna) for Booster (even if the older vaccine was J&J for USA and AZ/Covidshield in Canada) but do what is recommended and as soon as possible. For children there may be third doze - but follow your doctors order if/when they ask you.

For India - Again keep getting updated from official sources - Covovax/Covaxin/Covidshield - what ever becomes available and recommended.
(At present about 90% of eligible adults have at least 1 shot and 61% all fully vaccinated - when younger population is eligible - lets us go full steam with this).

And yes - Wear Masks (N95) every time you are out of your house and in indoor environment.
(If we get 80% of the population to start wearing masks - we can flatten the peak by a *huge* amount)...
Again:
Please wear an N95 or at very least a premium KN95 or KF94 or FFP2 mask outside your home in public indoor areas. (For India - Stick to quality items like SWASA)
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Thanks Amberji your post have been very instructive. Can I please trouble you to comment on this:

viewtopic.php?p=2527298#p2527298
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

COVAXIN receives approval for emergency use in children 12 - 18 years of age

HYDERABAD / December 25, 2021: COVAXIN has received approval for emergency use in Children 12 - 18 years of age. COVAXIN is formulated uniquely such that the same dosage can be administered to adults and children.

COVAXIN has established a proven record for safety and efficacy in adults for the original variant and subsequent variants. We have documented excellent safety and immunogenicity data readouts in children. We look forward for COVAXIN to provide similar levels of protection for adults and children alike.

Bharat Biotech thanks Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi ji for his visionary leadership during this pandemic.

Bharat Biotech is also thankful to the Ministry of Health and Family welfare, DCGI and NTAGI for their diligent review of all data and for their fastidious approval process.

About Bharat Biotech
Bharat Biotech has established an excellent track record of innovation with more than 145 global patents, a wide product portfolio of more than 16 vaccines, 4 bio-therapeutics, registrations in more than 123 countries, and the World Health Organization (WHO) Pre-qualifications. Located in Genome Valley in Hyderabad, India, a hub for the global biotech industry, Bharat Biotech has built a world-class vaccine & bio-therapeutics, research & product development, Bio-Safety Level 3 manufacturing, and vaccine supply and distribution. Having delivered more than 4 billion doses of vaccines worldwide, Bharat Biotech continues to lead innovation and has developed vaccines for influenza H1N1, Rotavirus, Japanese Encephalitis (JENVAC®), Rabies, Chikungunya, Zika, Cholera, and the world’s first tetanus toxoid conjugated vaccine for Typhoid. Bharat’s commitment to global social innovation programs and the public-private partnership resulted in introducing path-breaking WHO pre-qualified vaccines BIOPOLIO®, ROTAVAC®, and Typbar TCV® combatting polio, rotavirus, typhoid infections, respectively. The acquisition of Chiron Behring Vaccines has positioned Bharat Biotech as the world's largest rabies vaccine manufacturer with Chirorab® and Indirab®.

To learn more about Bharat Biotech, visit http://www.bharatbiotech.com.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Vaccination for children aged 15-18 to begin from January 3, says PM
NEW DELHI: In his address to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday made three key announcements about India's Covid vaccination drive amid the growing threat posed by the highly transmissible Omicron variant.
Here are the key announcements made by PM Modi ...
- From January 3, 2022, those in the age group of 15-18 will be eligible for Covid vaccination. Currently, only those who are 18 and above were allowed to get vaccinated.
- From January 10, 2022, all healthcare and frontline workers will be eligible to get "precaution dose" or the third booster dose of the vaccine.
- From January 10, those who are 60+ with comorbidities can also get precaution doses on the recommendation of their doctors.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Ashokk wrote:Vaccination for children aged 15-18 to begin from January 3, says PM
NEW DELHI: In his address to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday made three key announcements about India's Covid vaccination drive amid the growing threat posed by the highly transmissible Omicron variant.
Here are the key announcements made by PM Modi ...
- From January 3, 2022, those in the age group of 15-18 will be eligible for Covid vaccination. Currently, only those who are 18 and above were allowed to get vaccinated.
- From January 10, 2022, all healthcare and frontline workers will be eligible to get "precaution dose" or the third booster dose of the vaccine.
- From January 10, those who are 60+ with comorbidities can also get precaution doses on the recommendation of their doctors.

Imagine if UPA was in charge now, Pfizer would have been given $20-30 Billion with 30% cut into their SWISS accounts and Bangladesh and Pakistan would have got vaccine and Indians would have got Ghanta
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Finally, a good move by GoI by allowing booster shots but I wonder why restrict 3rd shot to aged folks with illnesses only. Should have made it general...hopefully, with in a month, the booster shots will be opened to other adults as well...guess it will depend on how severe Omicron will affect us
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 16086.html

Zydus’s needle-free Covid vaccine may be introduced next week
According to the company, the Centre has placed an order of 10 million vaccine doses, at ₹265 per dose

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states ... 98323.html
ZyCoV-D vax gets nod to use among 12 plus
Vemireddy raised a question, whether it is a fact that Zydus Cadila agreed to reduce its COVID-19 vaccine price to Rs 265 per dose after negotiation by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 804_1.html
Zydus Cadila's Covid vaccine ZyCoV-D to be used in seven states initially
ZyCov-D, which is the first Covid vaccine to be cleared by India's drug regulator for those aged 12 years and above, will only be administered to adults in the seven states
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Very serious accusation. However, the person making it is the CJI, so he will have a lot of information that is not publicly disclosed.

MNCs tried to scuttle WHO nod for Covaxin: CJI Ramana
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

France is getting hammered with case load. Dark days ahead for countries with good vaccination rate as well.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

vera_k wrote:Very serious accusation. However, the person making it is the CJI, so he will have a lot of information that is not publicly disclosed.

A bit off tropic but did one party in the photo in this article make public accusations against the other?
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I would be pleasantly shocked if we don't see a significant spike within the next 3 months. Hopefully, vaccinations will blunt the impact. But I am sure that it will be bad enough to give fooder to the usual parties prone to sensationalism.

Please tell everyone you know in India to start wearing masks and follow all the regulations.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Lisa wrote:
vera_k wrote:Very serious accusation. However, the person making it is the CJI, so he will have a lot of information that is not publicly disclosed.

A bit off tropic but did one party in the photo in this article make public accusations against the other?
Yes. Must have come to some understanding. Jagan's threat might be if you try to send me to jail, I will release your record. Well played.

But CJI making a huge allegation. Why doesn't he pick up the gauntlet and prosecute the agents of these companies. There are many in the media.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

hardly any protection against Omicron with current vaccines! https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/hea ... cron-80853

A series of peer-reviewed studied accepted for publication in the Nature journal indicate that neutralising antibodies produced by existing vaccines or prior infection by the virus do not work on omicron — the latest variant if concern

These studies have covered the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine — marketed in India as Covishield — but not the indigenous Covaxin.

In one of the studies, researchers investigated vaccines prepared by Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna Inc, Johnson & Johnson (J&J), and Oxford-AstraZeneca. When sera samples from 54 fully vaccinated people were tested against the virus, it was seen that antibodies in the blood were not very effective. The sera samples included two persons earlier infected by the virus and 15 who received Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna boosters. Researchers found that participants who had received boosters recorded a smaller decrease in antibody neutralisation.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

IndraD wrote:hardly any protection against Omicron with current vaccines! https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/hea ... cron-80853

A series of peer-reviewed studied accepted for publication in the Nature journal indicate that neutralising antibodies produced by existing vaccines or prior infection by the virus do not work on omicron — the latest variant if concern

These studies have covered the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine — marketed in India as Covishield — but not the indigenous Covaxin.

In one of the studies, researchers investigated vaccines prepared by Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna Inc, Johnson & Johnson (J&J), and Oxford-AstraZeneca. When sera samples from 54 fully vaccinated people were tested against the virus, it was seen that antibodies in the blood were not very effective. The sera samples included two persons earlier infected by the virus and 15 who received Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna boosters. Researchers found that participants who had received boosters recorded a smaller decrease in antibody neutralisation.
Everyone in Massachusetts are getting it mostly whoever visited NY.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Biological E has submitted its Ph-3 data of using Corbevax as a booster shot for people. Hopefully it will be authorised soon...I think for Covavax, DGCI has sought additional info about its vaccine before giving EUA. Studies done in US has shown that Novavax has ability to produce antibody response against Omicron variant. So hopefully both of these will be authorised and are given a choice to elect for newer vaccines either for 3rd shot or for folks who are receiving vaccine for 1st time.

Hopefully, the export of vaccines are going up as well (not just from India but from other developed countries as well) as it is clear that newer variants can develop from regions with low vaccination rates.

Any news on Pfizer's Covid pill trails being conducted in India? Pfizer pill has received EUA in US, UK & EU and hopefully India will authorize the same.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

IndraD wrote:hardly any protection against Omicron with current vaccines! https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/hea ... cron-80853

I have posted about various this and similar studies too. Interestingly SUTRA model (with detail analysis of SA and Europe data) analysis shows similar points. (Subject is little complicated, and requires math back ground but consistent values of ρ (reach) and β (contact parameter) are consistent with people loosing immunity ). This is why in the last graph from SUTRA I shared here (see below) does assume the impact (or lack there of) Covidshield vaccine.

(Mask use, and covid appropriate behavior, can effect the height of the peak)

BUT: IMPORTANT: It is still extremely important to get the vaccines - AND VACCINES ARE LIFE SAVING.

The hospital situation in India, at present looks like - some thing we can control and India is in much better shape than in the last wave.
(Image, and data from SUTRA team).

Anecdotal - but *many* of my friends who are doctors are seeing *many* patients with fully vaccinated with omicron variant and things may get worse. US may see 1 million cases per day before the year is over. Many states the near vertical slope.

Please read this thread by a New York ER doctor and Director of Global Health in Emergency Medicine - This data is very similar to many other doctors here in US.
I’ve seen a lot of Covid in the ER recently.

With so many people getting infected recently, some folks may wonder what’s the point of getting vaccinated at all?

And is there really any value to a booster dose if I’ve had two Pfizer/Moderna or a shot of J&J?

My observations:
-Every patient I’ve seen with Covid that’s had a 3rd ‘booster’ dose has had mild symptoms.

By mild I mean mostly sore throat. Lots of sore throat. Also some fatigue, maybe some muscle pain.

No difficulty breathing. No shortness of breath.

All a little uncomfortable, but fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had 2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna still had ‘mild’ symptoms, but more than those who had received a third dose.

More fatigued. More fever. More coughing. A little more miserable overall.
But no shortness of breath. No difficulty breathing.

Mostly fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had one dose of J&J and had Covid were worse overall. Felt horrible. Fever for a few days (or more).
[Data from UK/SA - Covidshield/AZ performing much better than J&J and poorer than Pfizer - Do not have data (it is too early for India to get this data) for Covaxin etc]

Weak, tired. Some shortness of breath and cough.

But not one needing hospitalization. Not one needing oxygen.

Not great. But not life-threatening

And almost every single patient that I’ve taken care of that needed to be admitted for Covid has been unvaccinated.

Every one with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breath regularly.

The point is you’re gonna hear about a LOT of people getting Covid in the coming days and weeks.

Those that have been vaccinated and got a booster dose will mostly fare well with minimal symptoms.

Those getting two doses might have a few more symptoms, but should still do well.

Those who got a single J&J similarly may have more symptoms, but have more protection than the unvaccinated (if you got a single dose of J&J, please get another vaccine dose—preferably Pfizer or Moderna—ASAP!
Same has been borne out by local and national data showing that the unvaccinated make up a very disproportionate share of those with severe disease, needing hospitalization, and dying from Covid.

Please be safe.

In India's case, make sure you get a vaccine as soon as you are eligible - The type will mater much less.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

BLR has achieved 95%+ fully vaccinated status (press article said 100% fully vaccination but in my own family, 3 folks have refused to get vaccinated...so theoretically cannot be 100%)...so hopefully the 3rd wave symptoms will be mild for most people and with very less hospitalizations.

Amber G, thanks for posting the above thread about observations from ER doctors. With 3rd dose starting from early Jan, would folks @ SUTRA will be able to capture the effects of booster dose and come up with updated predictions for India or individual cities soon?
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Anecdotal but worth sharing. In my extended circle, two young lads in their early 20s, both immunocompromised due to being on Humira for Crohn's, came down with COVID last week. Probably Omicron, not sure. Both had received two doses of vaccine but not the booster. One had low grade fever for 24 hrs, other one had for 12 hrs, with some body aches. No cough, no SOB, no other sx. Both fully recovered in less than 48 hrs and now feeling miserable as they are quarantined at home. Both came to visit parents at home for the holidays. Parents are boostered and have not shown signs of infection - simply masked all the time in the presence of the kids.

So it is probably all true, get vaccinated, that way even if you catch it, you get very mild disease, less troublesome than the 'flu and probably not that contagious either (this part not so sure).

Key points remain the same: Vaccine, masks and social distancing.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

vijayk wrote:Image

Something strange observation ... Both in SA and Denmark.

Graph goes up straight and goes down sharply
Is there a correlation with average temps?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

I think it is fast recovery time. CDC reduced isolation time from 14 days to 5 days
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

vijayk wrote:I think it is fast recovery time. CDC reduced isolation time from 14 days to 5 days
To be clear - This is based on feedback from many scientists - data more than a year old - and also pressure from many employees where a longer isolation is very inconvenient.

Simply can't afford healthcare workers and other essential workers to quarantine for a longer time, for a person who got exposed to virus and is not showing any symptoms.

First, what does it actually say?
---> You isolate for 5 days
--> If you have no symptoms
--> And it's been 5 days since you tested +
--> Then you can stop isolating at home
-->BUT YOU STILL NEED TO MASK IN PUBLIC FOR ANOTHER 5 DAYS

- (I would have preferred to make sure a negative antigen test - but it is not required by CDC, I would have also preferred to have mask mandate for longer too.)

But this seems pretty reasonable (many doctors, not all, I know do agree with this).
(There's some science, from a year ago, and recent papers too - especially for vaccinated people viral shedding decreases on average after 5-7 days) (Many links eg <here>

Some doctors are quite upset - They want stricter protocol - (Many European countries need two -ive tests (and as much as 10 days) and stricter mandate for masks - not to mention that shorter time is only for vaccinated people).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I am old enough to remember when Omicron was considered "mild". Now with all the data hospital admissions in UK and here is US are climbing in alarming rate.. especially for children.

—NYC reports “4-fold” increase in pediatric hospital admissions for Dec 19th versus week of Dec 5th. Over half of hospitalizations in kids <5–all un vaxxed.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -show.html
The number of people in hospital with Covid in England is less than half the same time last year – despite cases being three times higher, official figures show.

In a further sign that the Omicron variant appears to result in less severe disease, there were 8,474 patients in hospital with Covid yesterday compared with 19,277 on the same day last year.

Despite surge in cases, figures on hospital admissions fallen over 50% in year
Hospitalisations are down by over half on this point last year despite case surge
There have been no reports of large numbers of patients requiring ventilators
Stats reveal 842 Covid patients in ICU on ventilators - the lowest in two months
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Govt panel recommends EUA for Covid-19 vaccines Covovax, Corbevax and anti-Covid pill molnupiravir
An expert panel of the country's central drug authority has recommended granting emergency use authorisation to Serum Institute of India's Covid-19 vaccine Covovax and Biological E's vaccine Corbevax with certain conditions, official sources said on Monday.

The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) on Covid-19 of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) on Monday also recommended granting permission to manufacture and market anti-Covid pill Molnupiravir for restricted emergency use for treatment of adult patients with SpO2 93 per cent and who have high risk of progression of the disease, including hospitalisation or death, subject to certain conditions.
This is not the final approval. That will have to be granted by the DGCI.