How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by merlin »

ASPuar wrote:Appearing for Territorial Army test and Preliminary Interview Board, end of the month. Any tips, etc? Anyone?
Could you keep us posted on how it went? I would be very interested to know details. Thanks.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

Surya wrote:Guys

he is asking which would be more prestigous or better career move.
ASPuar wrote:Major General Sheonan Singh, of Jaffna Drop fame, is one of the more prominent and visible Para Cdo's, because, of course he is now a general officer, and is no longer in hush hush jobs. He was originally commissioned in the Engineers (being a civil engineering graduate of Roorkee Engineering College), and volunteered for selection to the Para Commandos. So you see, it would appear to be a process of internal selection.

The SFF accepts people from the Army I think, but such vacancies are purely internal. The first head of the SFF was Lt. Col. SS Uban, who retired as IGP, SSF. (This was back when IGP was the highest police rank)!
Thanks to both of you for the reply.
Hope some one answers a/b though.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I think SF positions are normally not a great career booster.

Most armies have issues with their SF guys and you will see very few SF personnel climb the ladder beyond Col\Brig.

Also many SF guys do not want to deal with the BS of regular army ticket punching and tend to leave early also.

My SF friend says "The SF is like the underworld. You have a limited timespan. In that you do the job as professionaly as possible"
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Surya, thats an interesting comment, and I think youre right..
Dyou have any theories as to why Armies have problems with SF, and also why so few reach higher ranks? Just quoting that eg of Sheonan Singh above, he is one of the very few to have attained General rank...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

is that true for other armies too or just IA ?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Well, looking to our westerly neighbor, wasnt President General Kamandu Musharaf an SF type?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Mushy is a bad advertisement for making an SF guy a General :mrgreen:

I believe only 2 US chiefs were SF type. (Shelton and Schoomaker??? and he along with Rumsfeld created some of the mess) - so thats 2 bad case studies :)

I think it is a clash of egos, personalities, politics -

Regular army types think SF types are gung ho,do nto follow rules etc. ANd many of them have probably sat in safe havens as they punched their way up so dislike the guys who actually have been in combat.

SF types thinks the most of the rest (senior levels) are just ticket punchers with no clue of reality.

We saw it int he recent ( 2 yrs ago) clash between SF and Para - where the Para General basically said all Paras are SF :eek: .

It would have been really interesting to know what Sheonan thought of that remark :)
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

Sirs,

Are there any job opportunities for psyops personnel here?

Also,is there any job profile that would suit a journalism graduate like me in Armed Forces/DRDO/DPSUs in Short Service?

I tried many sites couldn't find any info....sorry to bother you folks again.

PS:My engg. friend would like to thank you all (esp.prouge) for starting this thread and answering all queries.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Surya wrote:I think SF positions are normally not a great career booster.

Most armies have issues with their SF guys and you will see very few SF personnel climb the ladder beyond Col\Brig.

Also many SF guys do not want to deal with the BS of regular army ticket punching and tend to leave early also.

My SF friend says "The SF is like the underworld. You have a limited timespan. In that you do the job as professionaly as possible"
It is not correct to feel that Parachute Regiment officers do not become Generals.

They have had many Generals from this Regiment, the last Vice Chief was one. Hardy Hardev Lidder is a Lt Gen.

In fact, they are a smaller Regiment than mine and they have and have had a greater number of Generals. So, the facts prove otherwise.

It is also not fair to feel that others do not do their job as professionally as possible. What exactly is a limited timespan?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I thought he was a Sapper?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Yes, he is a Sapper, but a Paratrooper.

He still does para jumps.

In fact, I forget the name of the General (he is a South Indian and is over 75 years of age) and he too does para jumps.

Then there is PC Katoch. He should be serving right now.

Off hand, I can't remember how many are there.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

RayC

I said SF - not Para.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

PC Katoch and Hardy Lidder are SF.
Gurinder
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gurinder »

ASPuar wrote:Appearing for Territorial Army test and Preliminary Interview Board, end of the month. Any tips, etc? Anyone?

Hi ASPuar,

I also want to go for Territorial Army interview. Please tell me when will the advertisement for TA comes in news paper and I am working in a pvt firm so what documents I require to apply for TA. And I read about their training procedure too but unable to understand? If you clarify these , I shall be very thankful.

And thanks prouge for starting this thread.
sonam_kapadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sonam_kapadia »

Hi,

I manage a web-memorial for my brother Lt. Nawang Kapadia, who made the supreme sacrifice for the nation while fighting terrorist in Kashmir, at www.nawang.com. Of late, I have been getting a number of queries from fine men wanting more information on how to join the army.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about it and all I can do is direct them to the Army and BR site.

Does anyone on this forum know more about this and willing to help them, I can forward those mails to him. This would really help them and I guess the army recruitment too.

Thanks for all the help
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Sonam,

Please accept my salute to both Nawang and your family for having given so much to the nation.

I have been proudly wearing the 'Khukri of Honour' daily since I received it seven months ago, and have had the opportunity to educate many colleagues here in the U.S. about Nawang's sacrifice.
sonam_kapadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sonam_kapadia »

Thanks Raman. This is very kind of you. The Khukri of Honour, is symbol honouring the valour and braver of the Gorkha soldiers, and for our soldiers who are fighting terrorists in Kashmir.

Really appreciate you wearing it and spreading the word
rocky
BRFite

Post by rocky »

Sonam, welcome to BRF. Although I don't know much about your deceased brother other than his valiant sacrifice for the country, I do remember your father's exemplary dedication and service to the country. I follow his writings and own each and every piece of literature that has flowed from your father's pen. My regards to all of the Kapadia family!
sonam_kapadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sonam_kapadia »

Thanks Rocky. I will let my father know...he will be really thrilled about your kind words.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

ASPuar wrote:Dyou have any theories as to why Armies have problems with SF, and also why so few reach higher ranks?
Rahul M wrote:is that true for other armies too or just IA ?
Gentlemen, you may find this observation from Field Marshal William Slim to be instructive of regular army's and higher echelons' concerns about special operations forces and their employment:
... the Chindits, gave a splendid examples of courage and hardihood. Yet I came firmly to the conclusion that such formations, trained equipped and mentally adjusted for one kind of operation were wasteful. They did not give, militarily, a worth-while return for the resources in men, material and time that they absorbed. ... [Special forces] were usually formed by attracting the best men ... The result of these methods was undoubtedly to lower the quality of the rest of the Army." He makes several other arguments against special forces, about the danger of ordinary battalions thinking that some tasks could only be performed by special forces, and that special forces can only stay in the field for relatively short periods compared to regular battalions. He sums up that "Anything, whatever the short cuts to victory it may promise, which thus weakens the Army spirit is dangerous." To underline his point he suggests that "This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier, who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree".
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Possibly, he was right too. In his own right, every soldier, from the sepoy to the full general, is special. Every soldier has it in him, to perform acts of superhuman bravery. So perhaps its incorrect to create 'special' forces. The entire military is the nations special forces.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ASpuar saab, I agree with your sentiments but for one.

the requirements of SF are that they will be able to carry out jobs that are in some ways the opposite of what a regular army is supposed to, like sabotage, behind the lines ops and so on.

creating an SF to do a beefed up super-infantry's job is nonsense and I suppose that is what FM Slim was referring to. in all 'normal' battlefield conditions infantry should be able to do the job as well as SF.
even then AFAIK IA uses its ghataks as organic SF components.
perhaps the ideas about SF has changed somewhat from his times, when the concept was in its infancy.
since then SF have performed well in many conflicts around the world.

incidentally, the SF concept is not entirely new, arthashastra refers to SF as one of the components of the army. Although the definition was not provided, this was not the same as spies who were mentioned separately.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

ASPuar wrote:Possibly, he was right too. In his own right, every soldier, from the sepoy to the full general, is special. Every soldier has it in him, to perform acts of superhuman bravery. So perhaps its incorrect to create 'special' forces. The entire military is the nations special forces.
It is the converse fallacy (unless you are being facetious): Not everyone is "special" for the military, so to claim it would be patently false. A support service trooper is not trained to the same specialty as an ordinary infantryman (yes, he too can shoot to 300m when the need arises, but he doesn't have dedicated training to prepare for just that). What FM Slim is stating there is quite different. His observation was that a special forces' specialty is a sum of regular tasks of other existing arms - so he makes the point that combining it all in a small body of men is to the harm of the whole. The whole is important, even if not "special", as it has desirable qualities of its own: mass, endurance, depth, breadth etc.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^
similar to the concept why IAF has no "elite" squadrons.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

Rahul M wrote:^^
similar to the concept why IAF has no "elite" squadrons.
atleast not officially.. but unofficially they have their elites. The VIP Squadron at Delhi is the elite for transport and helicopter pilots. Till recent years, No.1 and No.7 were elite fighter squadron because of the Vajras and their sqn' pedigree.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

Hello guys it me again

QUESTIONS
1) Is it true that the minimum years of engagement for SSC candidates was raised from 5 years to 10 years recently (Is it true for air force and navy SSC candidates too).

2) Is there any battalion that informally acts like a feeder to the SF forces in the army.

3) Can some one realistically voluntarily retire from the army after say 7 years of service (if they are serving in the SSC).

4) Is there a minimum aggregate percentage required for applying to SSC(TECH) ARMY for B.E candidates (now this is a big mystery).

5) Can SSC candidates go in for M.E while in the army.

Unfortunately there is very little information to go by and speaking to an defense recruiter offered very little extra information (he came down to our college and I had to compete for attention).

@sonam_kapadia
If you want a new website with designed for free i can help you out. Although given my present commitments I cant give a date for completion. It is the least i can do.

Thanks again for you patience and thank you mods for not deleting this thread.
Good day.

P.S: I want to join the army to serve my motherland. I don't see it as a career, but as my duty. But 10 years of service would take a great professional toll (this is just my opinion).

EDIT:: It would be great if i am allowed to edit the first post, so that i can provide a brief summary of all the solved questions. It could help a lot of people out.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

I know I can't demand answers, I am pleading for them. If this was a passing interest I would have not kept coming back. I really need this information because I have to decide within the near future. I don't contribute on BR forums because there is very little for me to say, but I do read from time to time.

May be SF questions were a bit too much to ask (what can I say I am a dreamer) but all others are required. If you guys can't/won't/unable to provide the required information can you just point me to its source (Can I just walk into a base and ask these kind of questions ??).

Hope you help a very probable recruit

Wishing you a great day
prouge

@sonam_kapadia : If you ever feel the need for a redesign of the website, please feel free to contact me, I really want to help people like you out in what ever small way possible. The only thing i cant promise is a due date for completion. <Salutes>
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

EDIT:: It would be great if i am allowed to edit the first post, so that i can provide a brief summary of all the solved questions. It could help a lot of people out.
(edit time is set by forum SW)

if you can write it up as a post I can edit the first post to add it.
regards.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

the requirements of SF are that they will be able to carry out jobs that are in some ways the opposite of what a regular army is supposed to, like sabotage, behind the lines ops and so on.

creating an SF to do a beefed up super-infantry's job is nonsense and I suppose that is what FM Slim was referring to. in all 'normal' battlefield conditions infantry should be able to do the job as well as SF.
even then AFAIK IA uses its ghataks as organic SF components.
perhaps the ideas about SF has changed somewhat from his times, when the concept was in its infancy.
since then SF have performed well in many conflicts around the world.
As an infantry man and having seen SF in combat, I agree with you that the infantry is not too far behind the SF to accomplish difficult tasks.

Yet, I will concede that if the SF, having some singular skills that are better honed than the infantry, is used, then the results will be different.

As a simplistic example, SF would be a force multiplier to the main action. If the infantry is to attack and capture an objective, and the SF takes on the guns and the reinforcements on the way, it will make the task of the infantry easier. Combat ratio and relative strength.

Infantry could do the same thing, but then that would deplete the strength at the objective end.

SF is trained to do the things that would 'sanitise the battlefield' as also 'deplete the enemy's force multipliers'.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

Questions that plagued my mind

Code: Select all

Note:: This dosen't answer any questions about monthly salaries,perks,etc. 

1)Should I join the army ---> Check

2)Initial Term of Engagement for short service commission(As of Jun 10 2009) 10 Years

3)Modes Of entry 
(a)------Permanent commission----------- 	
	National Defence Academy
				Month of Commencement of Course each year
				January and July

Age at the time of joining
				161/2-19 years

Educational Qualification
				Class 12 of the 10+2 system of education, or equivalent

Mode of selection
				NDA exam by UPSC and SSB interview

How to Apply
			Apply in response to advertisement in March/April & Oct./Nov.

Indian Military Academy
				Direct Entry
				January and July

19-24 years

Degree or equivalent at the time of joining the course

Mode of selection
				Combined Defence Exam (CDSE) conducted by UPSC and SSB interview

How to Apply

Engineering Graduates
				January and July

20-27 years

Engineering Degree in notified discipline

Mode of selection
				Direct SSB interview

How to Apply
			Apply to Addl. Directorate General of Recruiting (TGC), Army HQ, West Block III, RK Puram, New Delhi - 110066 in response to 					advertisement in March/April & Oct./Nov.

University Entry Scheme
				July

19-25 years (final year engineering students )
				18-24 years (prefinal year engineering students )

Final and pre-final year students of an engineering degree course.

Mode of selection
				Campus interview and SSB interview

How to Apply
			Apply in response to advertisement in July.

10+2 PCM (Tech)
				January and July

161/2-191/2 years

10+2 Pass with aggregate.

Mode of selection	
				Apply directly to the Recruitment Directorate

How to Apply
			May and November..

(b)-------Short Service-------------

Short Service Commission
				May and Oct./Nov.

19-24 years

Degree or equivalent at the time of joining the course

Mode of selection
				Combined Defence Exam (CDSE) conducted by UPSC and SSB interview

How to Apply

Short Service Commission (Technical)
					May and Oct./Nov.

20-27 years

Engineering Degree in notified discipline

Mode of selection
					Direct SSB interview

How to Apply

Short Service Commission (NCC Special Entry Scheme)
					May

19-25 years

Graduate with 50% aggregate marks, two years' service in NCC Senior Div. Army with minimum 'B' Grade in 'C' Certificate Exam

Mode of selection
					Direct SSB interview

How to Apply
				Apply in response to advertisement in Oct./Nov.

Women's Special Entry Scheme (Officers)
					March and September

19-27 years

Graduate/Post-Graduate/Engineering Graduate.

Mode of selection
					Direct SSB interview

How to Apply
			Apply in response to advertisement in June/December.

4)Is there any sort of exit policy  -- None, if you don't know any babus :-). Note: Read that it is extremely hard to "voluntarily retire from the armed forces"

5)How do I sign up for the special forces, what kind of contact would I sign : The only thing I know is special forces contract term is 5 years. I think the same applies for NSG,etc.

6)Are SSC(TECH),SSC folks allowed to go for further post graduation,etc while in active service    -------HAVE NO CLUE ------------------

7)From what I read SSC(TECH)Air force has a minimum percentage for admission into the program, the navy has this too. So what about the army    ------ HAVE NO CLUE---------

8)Can I go speak to an Army/Navy/Air force recruiter : Sure you can, the only point here is can you actually *trust* the information that is given (I personally don't because unlike public forums, the information he tells you isn't up for public review). While there may be extremely competent recruitment officers, if you are unlucky you might get to meet an incompetent one.

9)How do I contact an armed forces recruiter: Use the telephone directory.

10)Got any more questions : Go ask some one related to you in the armed forces and report back.

I Know it is not much but it is a start.

<END>
<!--This is where i *would* like the post to end, of course it is your call mods. I also feel that overwriting the intial post with this would create non cluttered post. Any way it is your call.
Hope you mods have a great day and I would like to thank the mod who actually edits the post for his/her time.-->
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Sonam,

I had missed the website of yours.

My sincere condolences.

It is the sacrifices like your brother's that make us safe.

Proud of him and proud of your family too.

God Bless your family.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Friends,

Before going to attend the tests please make sure you are medically fit. I have seen and personally experienced the disappointment.
I have attended SSB 3 times , the third time I felt I did very well. One army wallah(he was a nco and had come there to become an officer), told me I had no chance as I had knock knees and would anyway fail. Many others said yes. There were many IAF and IA guys who had come to attend the SSB and none of them had knock knees. I was so disappointed and did not do well on the next day and also on the conference on the last day when I was asked a SRT question by the head of the SSB.
When I came back , I was determined I will try again even if I had to undergo operation. I went to a surgeon whom my sister (who is also a doctor )referred to. He checked my legs and said my knees are ok but the left leg is slightly bent more inwards at the hip. Though this is normal and does not affect day to day activities , it is not ideal for physical activities like the one in defence or athletics. He said it would cost atleast 60,000 (in 1999!).That was beyond my means. Worse, was he said he could not guarantee the success because he would be touching the hip and so I may even end up with a permanent limp.
This was very disappointing and it took me a long time to recover and find another stream.
So please have a proper check up. Do not neglect medical part.
Last edited by rkirankr on 12 Jun 2009 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

rkirankr

Good advice.

Medical is an important aspect. Eyesight is an equally important thing to check up as also the ear and hearing.

Don't worry about not making it to the Army or whatever was your desire. I am sure you are destined for greater things.

Just like Robert Clive. His family shipped him off and see what he became and did!
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

sonam_kapadia wrote:Hi,

I manage a web-memorial for my brother Lt. Nawang Kapadia, who made the supreme sacrifice for the nation while fighting terrorist in Kashmir, at http://www.nawang.com. Of late, I have been getting a number of queries from fine men wanting more information on how to join the army.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about it and all I can do is direct them to the Army and BR site.

Does anyone on this forum know more about this and willing to help them, I can forward those mails to him. This would really help them and I guess the army recruitment too.

Thanks for all the help
I must pay salute to Lt. Nawang Kapadia and his family for all sacrifices made for the country.

Website is really masterpiece and worth visiting. Especially experiences your family had dealing with SBI and LIC. Atleast, army men are spared from all beurecracy of govt and semi govt. organisations in India.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

@prouge

If you want a balance of career and wanting to be in the Army too, you can try the Territiorial Army route
http://indianarmy.nic.in/ta/index_ta.htm

I spoke to a TA guy recently and the Army seems to be surprisingly flexible in this scheme. You are required to spend minimum 2 months per year in the army and can also opt for say straight one year in the army depending on your own interest. And he mentioned that there is no particular restriction in terms of minimum number of years before you can opt out of the scheme.

@ Sonam Kapadia

Sir, my regards and respects to you and your family and to the departed soul. I have bookmarked your site for some time now and waiting to earn the right to ask you for the Khukri of honour. I hope I will be able to contact you soon for the same.

VB
Last edited by Jagan on 01 Jul 2009 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sir, not ma'am
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

RayC wrote:rkirankr

Good advice.

Medical is an important aspect. Eyesight is an equally important thing to check up as also the ear and hearing.

Don't worry about not making it to the Army or whatever was your desire. I am sure you are destined for greater things.

Just like Robert Clive. His family shipped him off and see what he became and did!
I agree with RayC. When I went to SSB, they sit you down in room and this dude keeps walking away from you while whispering numbers and names at you. I was suppose to get all of them, I only got 18 out of 20. My eyesight was eagle sharp. No other issues I had. I was suppose to join IMA in July but destiny had other things planned for me. I left Desh for 'shaap bhatkan ka'.
Most fun part of any SSB is the Group Activity. They test you thoroughly on that, plus the individual leadership test. BTW, my SSB was at Banglore very close to GB Road, I don't know if that hotel at that time owned by Film Actor Sanjeev Kumar is still there or not.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

"Last edited by Jagan on 01 Jul 2009 01:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir, not ma'am "

My apologies.

Thanks Jagan
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

OT post edited.
Last edited by Rahul M on 18 Jul 2009 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ What is this doing here? :-?