Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

ManishC
BRFite

Re: Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

Post by ManishC »

ramana wrote:I recall seeng Javed Jaffery of Boogie Woogie give his version on Zeenews that it all started with Ayodhya. I thought why imply/involve Indian Muslims were involved when the terrorsts are clearly from TSP. So JJ was scoring a self goal and worse shows he is a Paki sympathiser more than an aggrieved Indian Mulsim when on Boogie Woogie he cultivates a natioanlist image.

Anyone who brings in Cashmere, Babri Masjid implying Indian culpability for these Mumbai terrorist attacks etc is a Paki sympathser. Very plain and simple.

Should be easy to locate on Zeenews archives.

In fairness to JJ, he most likely thought there was local IM involvemment and probably brought in those issues to deflect possible pressure on IMs.
I have noticed a distinct Islamization in JJ's profile for last couple of years on BoogieW noticeable around Id and other festivities, when he would appear with an Arabic looking head scarf getup (abaya?) and robe instead of de jure dress for sub continental muslims of Aligarhi Sherwani etc. on such occasions. Looked like he had discovered religion of a certain flavor. No good ever cam out of that.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Looks like unkil is using Mumbai to drive its agenda to get TSP to act against the Pakiban.

As usual, TSP by seeking out and butchering yamrikis and Israelis in Mumbai (so as to pin it all onto Al Qaida) have scored another tactical brilliance achievement.

US warns of 'unintended consequences' if Pak fails to act (India Today)

Make that 'fully intended consequences' onlee.

Methinks, unkil has assured Dilli things will move this time on TSP soil, so kindly to hold off any military pressure onlee. And in turn, turned screws for its grieviences against TSP support to pakiban.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

shiv wrote:
RajaJi wrote: I think he says, that the person in question when asked by media persons, why did this happen? the muslim dancer, actor, choreographer, says "yeh sab to Ayodhya se shuru hua hai".

Meaning "it has all started because of Ayodhya". Basically the muslim artist was blaming the terrorist activities of the porkis on what happened in Ayodhya, I think he's referring to the demolition of the babri masjid. Which is insane, because then every Hindu can say that it all started because of babar, and all those mughals who invaded India and desecrated our holy temples and built masjids on top of them. And converted countless Hindus to muslims forcefully, also, raped and killed many more in the process.
Sonu also says "What gall the man has to connect the Mumbai attacks to Ayodhya. Hindus should then start saying that it all started with Babar.'

On being questioned about "poor Muslims" Sonu said India has poor Hindus, poor Buddhists and poor Christians too"
thanks shiv. absolutely.. what gall the man (javid jaffrey) has to say like that!!. in a sense, javid jaffrey must be having some inner pride in this attack, then having his kind taken the wrong path of living in the neighborhood within... i'd not be surprised.. as i have personally witnessed distribution of sweets and jilebis whenever pakis win hockey match against India, at shivajinagar bangalore. there is a connection to this one-ness.. that is in their realm of being, associated with the religion, that is being subscribed, enabling such people to keep such mentality as their core.

i'd call it freudian slip. i dunno.. if i could take ramana's point without salt. i understand, it would become OT.. and that we would lose grip of fixing pakis. /sorry for the diversions.
Last edited by SaiK on 10 Dec 2008 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

WOW! Sonu Nigam !
I used to dismiss off this guy as a perennially feet touching falsetto (He does have a penchant for touching people's feet at the drop of a hat on all those musical shows - This in those days when he was still struggling to make his career - Now its DIFFERENT ! He's a verifiable Superstar.)

Well well well will wonders never cease. He is a Star today on BRF! Very lucidly stated!

Hats off to you man! You're a saccha Hindustani!
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

I don't think any of those terror camps are empty.
The high value targets departed soon after the attack was underway in Mumbai. SOP for Pakistan.
Who are left in those camps are a few minions left to stand on guard, some old women and kids and some goats - for those foot soldiers to guard :wink: . So that if IAF hits any one of these, pakistan can say that they killed 72 wimmen, 28 boys, and 16 goats in each camp - Gross human and goat rights violation.

But more than any thing, I am startled by the love that the western media has discovered for India after these Mumbai attacks. It is so overwhelming and sudden, and in unison that its making me suspicious. If you look, all sorts of advice are being dispensed, and most of them talk of India taking Pakistan out.

Well GOI should take the lead here, and do some straight talking to the US. You want to take care of this terrorist threat that you and we face, you must do two things:
1. Denuclearize pakistan. Put into action what ever plan you've had for so many years.
2. Visit BRF and follow to the letter what the Jingos there say!

Cheers.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

p_saggu, I disagree.. we have been all these years waiting for a time, when the khans don't interfere with a bilateral issue. now, we have got a big wand that has magically said.. go screw them, if you want.. and you are saying, boss.. you don't tell us that.. it hits our ego.

lets come to brasstacks. lets put that ego apart... i know, we are a great power and not a super power. but there is nothing wrong in them telling this. its a sign we want to be in., strategically.

denuking pakistan does not require the khans. a few back up support from israel is enough.. since that tie up helps us in internal and international relationship (post denuking) from our large demographic sense.. you know what i am talking about.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

This is Samar Mubarakmand. He is the guy who heads the Nuclear weapon manufacturing for Pakistan. AQ Khan was sidelined during the nuclear tests that pakistan carried out, and Samar was the man who ran the show. He may sound like a dhimmi, but he's the one who heads pakistan's nuclear weaponization.

Last I heard was that he'd developed a cancer of some sort. Must've been because of him doing wrong things in his line of work. Nautre's way of punishing the ungodly - or in pakistan's case, because the country was eating grass, they did not have any money to invest in lead jackets and protective gear.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Uh SaiK,
That above was a semi serious post. I was saying - let me give an example...
In all those mafia movies, when the undercover cop goes to join the mafia saying that he wants to join in, what does the mafia boss say to him?
He gives the cop a target and says - go kill him to prove that you are well and truly on board with us
Now I totally abhor that analogy whatsoever with the situation now, but the US needs to choose here between India and Pakistan. It is with us or against us on this one issue - Pakistan's possession of Nuclear weapons.
This problem gets solved, most of our problems will be solved too very soon.

Of course India can take care of the problem, in association with friendly quarters in the manner you mention.

If the end result of the Mumbai attacks is a Denuclearized Pakistan, I would be a very satisfied person.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I liked Sonu's response about RGV's visit to Taj. He said his friends and him are working on far important issues. I wonder what those are.

Regarding the delivery systems being short range onlee ithyadi. For now what matters is if they are "Pak-range".
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

p_saggu, what I was trying to say is this.. its up to US to choose whomever it may deem fit to do whatever it wants. but, that should not interfere and obstruct our operations (strategic, mil, etc). of course, I am still thinking we can do it under our command & controls and not anyone else's.

if we take care of pakistan as a whole, the nukes are covered as well, is my assumption. i am sure our mil folks knows better.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

SwamyG wrote:I liked Sonu's response about RGV's visit to Taj. He said his friends and him are working on far important issues. I wonder what those are.

Regarding the delivery systems being short range onlee ithyadi. For now what matters is if they are "Pak-range".
Sonu was awesome.

Am wondering if Sonu and like minded filmi folk would do a charity/goodwill/thankyou concert to raise money for the families of the security men killed and injured in 26/11. Am sure they will easily raise a lot of money. Such charity concerts are common in the west by various music bands.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/dec/10 ... kistan.htm

8 things India Inc, govt must do against Pakistan

1. Recognise and treat Pakistan as a terrorist state. The state policy of Pakistan is terrorism and their single-point programme is to destroy India. This needs to be internalised by every business baron including the owners of media.

2. Now, the elite of Pakistan are more angry, since India is growing at 7% and they are given CCC rating and stiff conditions for borrowing from the IMF.

Many an academic from that country, who I have met in global conferences, has openly lamented that nobody talks about Indo-Pak relations anymore, but only Indo-China or Indo-American, etc. They want to be equal but they are in deep abyss.

3. Pakistan is the only territory in the world where an army has a whole country under its control. This is an important issue since studies have found that a large number of corporates in Pakistan are ultimately owned by the Fauji Foundation (FF), Army Welfare Trust (AWT) Bahria Foundation (BF), Shaheen Foundation (SF) all owned by different wings of armed forces (See paper presented by Dr Ayesha Siddiqa-Agha on 'Power, Perks, Prestige And Privileges: Military's Economic Activities In Pakistan' in The International Conference on Soldiers in Business -- Military as an Economic Actor; Jakarta, October 17-19, 2000).

Hence, do not try to think of Pakistan without its army, irrespective of who rules that country temporarily and nominally. At least 70% of the market capitalisation of the Karachi stock exchange is owned by the army and related groups.
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Vessel that ferried terrorists to Porbandar owned by LeT chief

TN Raghunatha | Mumbai

The merchant vessel Al Husseini, in which the Mumbai-bound terrorists came from Karachi up to Porbandar in Gujarat, is owned by Lashkar-e-Tayyeba's chief of operations Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, investigations have revealed.

The investigations by the city crime branch sleuths into the Mumbai terror attacks have also revealed that apart from Lakhvi, who was the brain behind the attack, the others who played key roles in planning and executing the November 26, 2008 operation were are Khafa, Abu Hamza and Hafiz Sayyed.

Deducing from the information provided by the lone arrested terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Mohammed Amir Iman alias Kasab and intelligence inputs received from the across the border, informed Crime branch sources said here on Wednesday that MV Al Husseini was owned by Lakhvi. "So much so that when the terrorists set sail from Karachi port on November 22, 2008, Lakhvi was present at the port to see off his boys," sources said.

The 10-member terror group travelled in Al Husseini till the Gujarat coast where they hijacked a trawler Kuber which brought them up to three nautical miles off Mumbai coast. The terrorists then climbed into the inflatable dinghy, which was part of their equipment, and sailed to Fishermen's Colony at Cuffe Parade on the night of November 26, 2008, hours before they struck in various parts of south Mumbai.

Dwelling on the roles played by various Pakistan-based LeT key players, sources said it was Khafa who familiarised the terrorists with the target targets in Mumbai, while it was Hamza who provided advance training in handling advanced weapons, hand-grenades and bombs.

Hamza, it may be recalled, was the terrorist who carried out firing at the Indian Institute of Science at Bengalaru a few years ago. He had then managed to flee the country and reach Pakistan.

According to sources, Lashkar founder-chief Hafiz Sayyed, who also heads its political arm, Jamaat-ud-Dawa, lectured the Mumbai-bound terrorists and "indoctrinated and motivated" them into carrying out the terror strikes in the country's commercial capital. Sources said that Khafa "shepherded the terrorists around Pakistan during their training period" lasting for more than a year. "Khafa was, in fact, course coordinator-cum-course manager. During the isolation period near Azizabad at Karachi, he taught terrorists some of the finer points of the operation. On laptops, he demonstrated to them the maps, layout of Mumbai, geographical details, entry and exit routes and details of the targets like Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House," the sources said.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/142504/Vess ... chief.html
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Top police officials under fire for errors of judgment
Top police officials under fire for errors of judgment

Praveen Swami

Leadership lapses marred response to Mumbai terror attack

MUMBAI: Errors of judgment and top-level leadership lapses marred the Mumbai police’s management of the first, critical hours of last month’s Lahskar-e-Taiba attack — errors that are now driving calls from for a full review of the force’s crisis response system.

Mumbai’s top police officials, highly placed government sources said, failed to take charge of the Police Control Room, the nerve centre of the city police’s overall command structure. Nor did they use the force’s wireless system to rally their men demoralised by the loss of several of officers, notably the heroic joint commissioner of police and chief of the Ant-Terrorism Squad, Hemant Karkare. Instead, one top official chose to station himself and two aides inside a bullet-proof vehicle parked at the National Centre for the Performing Arts Building near the Oberoi Hotel, thus cutting himself off from the broad flow of operations.

Coordination at the Police Control Room fell to a committee of three joint commissioners of police — Crime Branch chief Rakesh Maria, his Law and Order counterpart K.L. Prasad, and Administration head Bhagwantrao More. Without authority over subordinates outside their own chain of command, the control room team achieved little. Mumbai’s police failed to initiate a thoroughgoing lockdown of major roads, to block the potential movement of the terrorist groups. Nor were teams of police personnel dispatched to other potential targets. Worst of all, police and Special Reserve Police personnel stationed in the suburbs were not rushed to reinforce the small, ill-armed groups engaged in the early fighting.

In some cases, an officer present in the control room told The Hindu, requests for assistance were ignored. “A couple of people didn’t even pick up their mobile phones,” he said. Mumbai has 25 Deputy Commissioners of Police, spread out across its headquarters and 12 district zones. Just six, the officer said, played a significant role on November 26. “Had there been more groups of terrorists in the city,” a senior officer commented, “or had the Lashkar fidayeen attempted to break out of the hotels along with groups of hostages and head towards the sea, we would not have been in a position to respond.”

In fairness to the top official who was in the bullet-proof vehicle — he did not respond to text messages and calls from The Hindu requesting an interview for this story — the Mumbai Police had never rehearsed for a large-scale terror strike. Nor was the force armed or trained to deal with the situation they encountered. However, according to former Punjab Director-General of Police K.P.S. Gill who led the State police during its decisive campaign against Khalistan terrorists, the absence of rehearsal was not an acceptable excuse. “If a crisis ever plays out in the way you had rehearsed,” he argued, “it wouldn’t be a crisis at all.”
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Desperate need for national police tactics and weapons school
Desperate need for national police tactics and weapons school

Praveen Swami

Race to set up special forces runs into expertise roadblock

India has few instructors to train new forces and no blueprint for re-equipping the police

Most police special force programmes consist almost exclusively of acquiring new weapons

MUMBAI: Inspector Hemant Bowdankar raised his 9 mm. pistol in the direction of the hail of assault rifle fire coming in his direction and pressed the trigger. Either he or one of the three other armed policemen standing at Mumbai’s Girgaum Chowpatty on November 26 succeeded in hitting Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Amir Iman — thus providing hard evidence that last month’s massacre was authored in Pakistan.

It was a lucky shot — almost unbelievably lucky.

Before that night, Mr. Bowdankar, like the Mumbai Police’s women and men, hadn’t fired a shot in years. The 15 police officers at Girgaum Chowpatty had just two rifles and two pistols. Even the Kalashnikov-equipped Anti-Terrorism Squad’s Quick Response Teams had not practised with its weapons over 12 months because of a shortage of ammunition.

Egged on by the outrage provoked by the Mumbai massacre, police forces across the country have been scrambling to set up new special forces units and upgrade their weaponry. But India has few instructors to train these new forces and no blueprint for re-equipping the police — facts that, experts say, render these modernisation programmes futile.
No training facility

At special forces training schools across the world, firing weapons is just one part of the curriculum. During combat, most individuals experience a high degree of auditory and visual loss — the famous “fog of war.” Police special forces personnel must be trained to overcome these physiological challenges. In addition to tactical training, special forces personnel are also taught to think on their feet, to adapt to changing circumstances and if- need-be to fight hand-to-hand.

Most Indian police special force programmes, however, consist almost exclusively of acquiring new weapons. Even here, the lack of expertise is evident. Several States have moved to procure 9 mm. weapons like the Heckler and Koch MP5 automatic, a weapon used by the National Security Guard. But crack organisations like the Special Protection Group have phased out their 9 mm. systems in favour of alternative calibres. First produced over a century ago, the 9 mm bullet was designed for range. As a result, a substantial part of the bullet’s energy is conserved after it exits the target’s body. This means a perpetrator is likely to survive several hits — a nightmare in a counter-terrorism scenario, where a dying terrorist would still have time to empty an assault rifle magazine before falling. Newer calibres are more effective at generating neural shock — put simply, disabling or killing a perpetrator instantly.

“Moreover,” an instructor serving with an elite special force in New Delhi told The Hindu, “different missions need different kinds of weapons and equipment. Policemen at a train station and in a quick-response team need to be equipped and trained differently. There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all weapon or training programme.”

Without a pool of skilled instructors and without well-equipped training facilities, India will get highly-equipped commandos who do not know how to fight effectively. Several experts contacted by The Hindu said the country desperately needed a national weapons and tactics academy, staffed and equipped to world standards and able to produce a cadre of dedicated instructors for State police forces. Each State would also have to invest in modern tactics and weapons training schools

Efforts to take the obvious shortcut — drawing on the Army’s special forces expertise — have yielded poor results. In 2005, Chhattisgarh set up a counter-insurgency academy under the charge of Brigadier B.K. Ponwar, who was serving as head of the Indian Army’s prestigious School of Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Mizoram. Although the Chhattisgarh school has trained over 8,400 personnel, the State police has failed to significantly degrade Maoist forces. Critics attribute Chhattisgarh’s failure to several factors, including the diversion of trained counter-insurgency personnel to VIP protection duties. But the relevance of military jungle warfare tactics to police counter-Maoist operations has also been questioned, with some experts arguing that the skill-sets involved are different.

Pointing to the Chhattisgarh case, experts caution against the notion that special forces can be useful in combating terrorism without a thoroughgoing reform of the entire police system. “People keep talking about the Andhra Pradesh Greyhounds or the J&K Police Special Operations Group,” observes the New Delhi-based security analyst Ajai Sahni, “but they forget that these forces were only effective in the context of overall police modernisation.”
Karkala Joishy

Post by Karkala Joishy »

India's tour of Pakistan impossible: Gavaskar

Awesome. We should completely cut off from this pathetic country.
Gavaskar has always had the balls to take on the Pakis and the goras and give it right back.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sack ... 820659.cms The survey — conducted by Synovate for The Times of India — also reveals that over 60% of our city dwellers think India is paying the price for the wrong policies adopted by the developed world — read US, in particular — towards Muslim nations, although again not all cities were equally convinced about this argument.
interesting!.. wtf do they think about themselves and ourselves. India should pay the price for wrong policies adopted elsewhere!? this feeling is all because of our bad political setup. this kind of feeling makes one feel sick!
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

An accomplice in this act of war must be responded in kind. This ship must go down within 48 hrs with its captain and crew, and this will be the first concrete step in our retribution process.

13 days and counting:
R. Krithivas

gandharva wrote:
Vessel that ferried terrorists to Porbandar owned by LeT chief

TN Raghunatha | Mumbai

The merchant vessel Al Husseini, in which the Mumbai-bound terrorists came from Karachi up to Porbandar in Gujarat, is owned by Lashkar-e-Tayyeba's chief of operations Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, investigations have revealed.

The investigations by the city crime branch sleuths into the Mumbai terror attacks have also revealed that apart from Lakhvi, who was the brain behind the attack, the others who played key roles in planning and executing the November 26, 2008 operation were are Khafa, Abu Hamza and Hafiz Sayyed.

Deducing from the information provided by the lone arrested terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Mohammed Amir Iman alias Kasab and intelligence inputs received from the across the border, informed Crime branch sources said here on Wednesday that MV Al Husseini was owned by Lakhvi. "So much so that when the terrorists set sail from Karachi port on November 22, 2008, Lakhvi was present at the port to see off his boys," sources said.

The 10-member terror group travelled in Al Husseini till the Gujarat coast where they hijacked a trawler Kuber which brought them up to three nautical miles off Mumbai coast. The terrorists then climbed into the inflatable dinghy, which was part of their equipment, and sailed to Fishermen's Colony at Cuffe Parade on the night of November 26, 2008, hours before they struck in various parts of south Mumbai.

Dwelling on the roles played by various Pakistan-based LeT key players, sources said it was Khafa who familiarised the terrorists with the target targets in Mumbai, while it was Hamza who provided advance training in handling advanced weapons, hand-grenades and bombs.

Hamza, it may be recalled, was the terrorist who carried out firing at the Indian Institute of Science at Bengalaru a few years ago. He had then managed to flee the country and reach Pakistan.

According to sources, Lashkar founder-chief Hafiz Sayyed, who also heads its political arm, Jamaat-ud-Dawa, lectured the Mumbai-bound terrorists and "indoctrinated and motivated" them into carrying out the terror strikes in the country's commercial capital. Sources said that Khafa "shepherded the terrorists around Pakistan during their training period" lasting for more than a year. "Khafa was, in fact, course coordinator-cum-course manager. During the isolation period near Azizabad at Karachi, he taught terrorists some of the finer points of the operation. On laptops, he demonstrated to them the maps, layout of Mumbai, geographical details, entry and exit routes and details of the targets like Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House," the sources said.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/142504/Vess ... chief.html
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

LeT has a navy of their own.

An air wing is perhaps not too far, like the Tigers down south.
Prabu
BRFite

Post by Prabu »

cbelwal wrote:This is what the Saudis have to say

http://www.metimes.com/Editorial/2008/1 ... mbai/7673/

The Lessons of Mumbai

The Indians should swallow their pride and start rebuilding their special forces from scratch, raking specialist help from special forces from countries ranging from Saudi Arabia to Britain or France that have had far better records in carrying out such operations. :-?
who saudi armed forces ?? :rotfl: I know how they operate ? They would have used tanks ,big BOFORS type guns and destroyed the Taj hotel in mumbai to ashes. That is what they are capable of !! In fact they always destroy the building in total when ever there is a terrorist attack ! They used rocket propelled granades (!!) against the simple street protesters of Bangladeshi nationals few months back !! Now you know their skill level !!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
cbelwal

Post by cbelwal »

Don of the docks goes untouched

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 821005.cms

Sources in security agencies confirmed that Ali was active in the docks despite the massive terror attacks on Mumbai on November 26. In fact, there are strong indications that Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists received ground support from the Dawood Ibrahim gang. Ali himself has dozens of unregistered boats or vessels registered in fake names which he uses for his vast smuggling operations.

But Mumbai police has still not called Ali for questioning. Ali is also known to have the backing of two powerful politicians of south Mumbai and that could be the reason why he is still untouched.
‘‘If the M V Kuber went into Pakistani waters and came 150km back to touch Indian shores, and that too in South Mumbai, it was most likely assisted by Dawood’s men’’ said a state intelligence officer.
Vikramaditya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vikramaditya »

dont know here to post this ...

IM Helped Paki Terrorists

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_ ... a_shooting
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

But Mumbai police has still not called Ali for questioning. Ali is also known to have the backing of two powerful politicians of south Mumbai and that could be the reason why he is still untouched.
‘‘If the M V Kuber went into Pakistani waters and came 150km back to touch Indian shores, and that too in South Mumbai, it was most likely assisted by Dawood’s men’’ said a state intelligence officer.
Bos there is no terrorism or anything going on in India,
Its all "Anti Nationlism" thats being played out.

" A million mafia ruling over billion clue less people"

Ever heard of DRI which does nothing but protect politicos and Mafia!

The 9-11 puzzle was solved with in days because CIA/FBI started sniffing the sources of money and everything became
"Elementary my Dear Watson"
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Wasnt Raj Thackeray going after Jt. Comm K.L. Prasad just a month or so ago claiming he wasnt a local? What does he have to say now?
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
December 10, 2008 Wednesday
Arrests may not lead to convictions
BYLINE: Christopher Kremmer
REPORTS that Pakistan has arrested militants connected with last month's attacks on Mumbai should raise hopes that justice will be done. Instead they revive memories of previous arrests in which militants were later released and terrorist organisations able to resume operating when international pressure for action died down.

After September 11, 2001, Islamabad banned the Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist group and detained its founder, Hafiz Mohammed Saeed. A few months later a court freed Saeed and the Government allowed his front organisation, Jamaat-ud Da'awa, which does charity work but also propagates hatred of Hindus and Jews and lauds terrorists as martyrs, to keep operating.
Pakistan's notorious Inter-Services Intelligence agency now says a senior Lashkar-e-Taiba leader, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, and about 12 others suspected of helping organise the Mumbai attacks have been detained as part of a crackdown on militant groups. The arrests came days after the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, visited Pakistan.

Such speedy work is remarkable given the fact that Lashkar-e-Taiba is supposedly an underground organisation. It's as if police can't find them until they commit atrocities, but know exactly where to look when their actions create diplomatic difficulties for the Government.

Similar fast footwork in the past has produced disappointing results. It took only weeks for police to detain Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheik and charge him with the January 2002 murder in Karachi of the American journalist Daniel Pearl. In July 2002 a court sentenced Omar Sheik to death but his appeal hearing - which went ahead despite his admission of guilt in court - has been postponed about 30 times. He has a terrorist record back to 1994.

As the journalist Zahid Hussain details in his book Frontline Pakistan, thousands of extremists like Omar Sheik have been involved in violent attacks in Kashmir and elsewhere with the full knowledge and support of the ISI. Since September 11, Islamabad has made sporadic efforts to crack down on the scores of such extremist groups. But the state and its security agencies remain deeply torn about bowing to international pressure to punish men who for decades it has regarded as "freedom fighters".

When Pakistan's old enemy India is the target, the old two-step routine of quick arrests and slow justice becomes the default position.

Lest we forget, Australians were among the dead in Mumbai last month. The Australian Government owes it to them to ensure that Pakistan is never allowed to forget that the attacks originated on its soil, and that a thorough and transparent probe brings the terrorists to justice. If Indonesia can try and execute the Bali bombers, Pakistan can do the same for those who organised Mumbai, if it really wants to.
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Newsweek
December 15, 2008
End of the Line for Islamabad;
Unless Pakistan changes how it conceives of its interests and strategy, it will remain an unstable and distrusted place.

BYLINE: By Fareed Zakaria
When one speaks of the Pakistani government, it's necessary to be precise. The elected, civilian government appears to be something of an innocent bystander in this affair. Initially, President Asif Ali Zardari denounced the terrorists and offered full assistance to Indian investigators. His prime minister offered to send the head of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency to New Delhi to help. Then, after the Army weighed in, the offer was withdrawn. Zardari's statements became more evasive and defensive. If anyone wondered who actually ran the country, it soon became clear.

Whether the Pakistani military was involved in the Mumbai attacks remains unclear. The Indians certainly think so. "The attackers were trained in four places in Pakistan by men with titles like colonel and major. They used communication channels that are known ISI channels. All this can't happen without the knowledge of the military," one Indian official told me. They're not alone in their suspicions. "This was a three-stage amphibious operation. [The attackers] maintained radio silence, launched diversionary attacks to pull the first responders out of the way, knew their way around the hotels, were equipped with cryptographic communications, credit cards, false IDs," says David Kilcullen, a counter-insurgency expert who has advised Gen. David Petraeus. "It looks more like a classical special forces or commando operation than a terrorist one. No group linked to Al Qaeda and certainly not Lashkar has ever mounted a maritime attack of this complexity." Which would be worse: if the Pakistani military knew about this operation in advance, or if they didn't?

The situation in South Asia is very complicated. But one thing is clear. All roads lead through Rawalpindi, the headquarters of the Pakistani military. For decades it has sponsored militant groups like Lashkar and the Taliban...
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

UN just declared Hafiz Saeed, Lakhvi and 2 other pigLeT chiefs as "international terrorists" connected to the Mumbai attacks and Al Qaeda.
UN labels 4 Pakistanis linked to Mumbai terrorists

By JOHN HEILPRIN – 14 minutes ago

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — A U.N. Security Council panel has designated four men allegedly linked to the Mumbai attacks as terrorists subject to sanctions.

The four men hold leadership positions in the banned Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba that is accused of orchestrating last month's attacks that left 171 dead in Mumbai.

The four are Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Lashkar's operations chief; Muhammad Saeed, the group's leader; Haji Muhammad Ashraf, its chief of finance; and Mahmoud Mohammad Ahmed Bahaziq, a financier with the group.

The Security Council's al-Qaida and Taliban sanctions committee added them Wednesday to its list of terrorists subject to an assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo under a council resolution adopted this year.
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

Is there an English translation of what Sonu Nigam says in his video?

Manny
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

This ban is better than banning JuD because even if they start a new group, the individuals will stay banned and by inference their new group will be a terrorist group.

A few experts have been calling for US to ban individuals from the beginning.
Yogeshwar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Yogeshwar »

The Cartoonists DO SEE thru the Porki perfidy

http://cagle.msnbc.com/news/TerrorIndia08/main.asp

"Click to See NeXT Cartoon" after 3 cartoons on each page
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

UN ‘hint’ for Pak
UN ‘hint’ for Pak
JAYANTH JACOB

New Delhi, Dec. 10: India feels that international pressure on Pakistan to display evidence of action is mounting. Thus far, though, Delhi believes, Islamabad has not been “serious” about moving against terrorists who targeted India.

While foreign ministry sources took note of the “right gestures” coming out of the UN Security Council, they said “Pakistan’s intent” needs to be backed up by action.

The crux of India’s message to the world body perhaps lay in the last paragraph of junior foreign minister E. Ahamed’s 961-word speech at the UN Security Council meet on ‘Threats to International Peace and Security Caused by Terrorist Acts’.

Ahamed pointed out that India had so far acted with “restraint” but all options were open, and called for “decisive” action on the part of the world community to “determinedly pursue and eliminate terrorist organisations”.

Ahamed said: “We must do our duty by our people and take all actions as we deem fit to defend and protect them. The Charter of the United Nations and provisions of international law, including the right of self-defence, gives us the framework to fulfil these responsibilities.”

At the end of the UN meet, the Council called on countries to strengthen their co-operation to find, deny safe haven and bring to justice “or extradite or prosecute” all those who support, facilitate or participate in financing, planning, preparing or committing terrorist acts or provide safe haven.

“That’s what we want Pakistan to do. The Mumbai attackers are from Pakistan, they used its territory to plot and launch the attack, and we want these perpetrators to be brought to justice,” a source in the Indian foreign ministry said.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Pak puts ball in UN court
Pak puts ball in UN court
NASIR JAFFRY IN ISLAMABAD & AGENCIES
Dawa chief Abdul Aziz Alvi in Muzaffarabad. (AFP)

Dec. 10: Pakistan has assured the UN that it will ban the Jamaat-ud-Dawa if the league of countries endorses Delhi’s belief that the charity is a terrorist outfit.

The assurance was followed by confirmation from Pakistan Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani that two Lashkar-e-Toiba members wanted by India for the Mumbai attacks had been detained.

Pakistan gave an undertaking to the UN Security Council that it would outlaw the Dawa, suspected by India to have carried out the terror strikes, if the Council declares it a terrorist outfit. The undertaking given by Pakistan’s ambassador to the UN, Abdullah Hussain Haroon, came after India asked the Council to put sanctions on the Dawa and its leaders.

But Gilani said he had no up-to-date information on whether Maulana Masood Azhar, the leader of the Jaish-e-Mohammad and on India’s most-wanted list, had also been detained.

Gilani also disclosed that Pakistan had earlier blocked an attempt by the US to include in a UN terror list the name of former ISI chief Hamid Gul.

“Soon after our government was formed, a resolution was moved in the Security Council (for inclusion of Gul in the UN list for his alleged links with al Qaida and the Taliban) but we got it put on hold,” Gilani said.

The resolution was never discussed and further steps would be taken by Pakistan if it was “no longer on hold”, he added.

In Washington, President George W. Bush said state sponsors of terror were as guilty as the terrorists and would be held accountable. “We have made clear that governments that sponsor terror are as guilty as the terrorists and will be held to account,” Bush said without naming any country.

A PTI report quoted secretary of state Condoleezza Rice as warning of “unintended consequences” if Pakistan did not act against “non-state actors” — a term used by Islamabad to distance the government from the terrorists.

Late tonight, the US Senate adopted a resolution asking Pakistan to “aggressively” probe possible links of elements originating from its soil to the Mumbai attacks. It lauded India for exercising “restraint”.

Prime Minister Gilani said in Multan that Lashkar leaders Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarrar Shah were being held for questioning. “They have been detained for investigation,” he said, but did not specify what the inquiries pertained to.

Unnamed Pakistani officials had said Lakhvi, who heads the operations of the banned outfit, was arrested in a raid on a camp in Pakistan-held Kashmir on Sunday, but there was no confirmation from the government so far.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

LeT arrests only of symbolic value: defence analysts
New Delhi: Pakistan’s ‘crackdown’ on the Lashkar-e-Toiba leadership is only of symbolic value and will have little effect on curbing operations of the banned outfit unless the financial network of the militant organisation is dismantled, feel analysts within the Indian defence establishment.

Terming the arrest of LeT functionaries, including Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi who is said to be the brain behind the Mumbai attack, as not being of much significance, analysts say it is not likely to make any visible impact on the ‘mischief making’ capability of the organisation. “There is nothing new in what has been done. Earlier too, they cracked down and arrested a few people (after the 2001 Parliament attack). These banned organisations started working again under different names. The arrests are only of symbolic value,” said a senior officer.

Pakistan is reported to have arrested over 20 functionaries of the outfit after raiding several camps of the LeT in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The arrests have raised an alarm in LeT ranks operating in Kashmir but the Armed Forces do not expect any significant change on the ground level unless the entire Terror mechanism, including training camps and financial assistance organisations, is dismantled.

The latest intelligence reports suggest that no moves have yet been made to pull down camps or other training infrastructure along the LoC. The Army has also not detected any movement of the Pakistani Armed Forces across the border that suggests that they are preparing for military action.

While the defence establishment is confident of carrying out strong punitive action against terror camps in Pakistan, analysts feel cracking down on a few installations will not be of much strategic value as similar camps will spring up at a different place later.

“There are no short-term solutions. Destroying a few camps means nothing as long as the raw material and terror factories remain. A change will be visible only if major action is taken to crack down on the financial network and front organisations that gather funds from the Gulf,” said a defence analyst.at
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Jamaat warns India, Pak: ban us, face consequences
New Delhi: Jamaat-ud-Dawa’h, considered to be front organisation for the banned Lashkar-e-Toiba, on Wednesday warned India and Pakistan of dire consequences if banned by the Government of Pakistan under international pressure.

The warning came after Pakistan assured the UN Security Council that it would ban the organisation and take action against its leaders if the UNSC declared it a terrorist outfit.

A Jamaat-ud-Dawa’h spokesperson told The Indian Express from Lahore that Pakistan must resist the pressure being mounted by the international community at India’s behest.

“India is indulging in an emotional blackmail and running a media campaign. It has not even provided any evidence of the involvement of any Pakistan-based group in the Mumbai terrorist strike. We urge the Pakistan Government not to fall for such motivated campaigns and take action against well-reputed organisations like the Jamaat-ud-Dawa’h,” the spokesperson, Abdullah Muntazir said in a telephonic conversation.

Describing the raids being conducted by Pakistani armed forces and security agencies against Lashkar and related organisations as the “toughest” in a long time, he said the Pakistan Government was playing with fire.

“Indians have this habit of blaming Pakistani organisations for everything bad that happens on their soil. They had put similar pressure on Pakistan a few years ago following which Islamabad had banned a few organisations. But we all know the consequences of those actions was not very pleasant for either India or Pakistan,” he said. Abdullah said Jamaat had been reiterating that all its links with Lashkar had been broken ever since LeT was banned by the Pakistani Government in 2002.

“There is no question of any involvement of Jamaat or any of its people in the Mumbai attacks,” he said.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

I'm hearing that JuD has also been banned by the UN as a proxy for LeT.
Bharat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bharat »

The bans are useless. Dawood has been declared a terrorist for 5 years now. What's happened? nothing.. zilch.. nada.Does not the US know the truth about Hafiz Saeed and Azhar..What about the IC814 hijackers?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I agree that there is absolutely no use of these bans. Why they did not ban JeM chief who was delivered as ransom to save 160 lives of the hijacked plane? All this lip service has no meaning except that some elitistic happiness. These are not important for US as opposed to many Al-Quaida #3s that were delivered.

They got to do either an Iraq or an Afghanistan on Pakistan. It all matters to see if US is convinced to end TSP from the world map.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

U.N. Security Council Sanctions Lashkar Members
The United Nations Security Council placed financial sanctions on four members of the Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, as well as the charitable organization that Indian and U.S. officials say serves as Lashkar's financial front, according to the U.N.

Included on the new Security Council blacklist announced Wednesday are Hafiz Saeed, the leader of Lashkar-e-Taiba; Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, its chief of operations; and two finance officials, Haji Mohammad Ashraf and Mahmoud Ahmed Bahaziq.

The Security Council amended its 2005 blacklisting of Lashkar to include the charitable foundation Jamaat-ud-Dawa, which operates openly inside Pakistan and enjoys significant public support.
Rangadu- JuD is banned too..
Karkala Joishy

Post by Karkala Joishy »

I just saw the Sonu video, wah wah hats off to him!

Look at Salman Aamir and SRK are busy defending Islam.
Losers