Indian Economy: News and Discussion (June 8 2008)

pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Re: Indian Economy: News and Discussion (June 8 2008)

Post by pradeepe »

Some predictions for 2009 -

http://www.equitymaster.com/ht/detail.a ... 09&story=3

Ends it with this -
Asset class View for CY 2009
"Safe Cash" Keep some money aside to look after your needs for many months - you need to decide how many months gives you mental comfort
Equity Invest, but no clarity on when markets will turn - a lot of the bad news is priced in, but there could still be more bad news and it is unlcear when the good news will flow in - but equities remains the best long term place to invest
Real Estate This will crack - big time! Then buy the house you wanted.
Gold Keep buying, it is a great hedge just in case the world stays in trouble - or inflation gathers steam
Indian Rupee Will shuffle +/- 2% against a basket of Euro, USD, Yen, Pound - no dramatic moves like in CY 2008
Commodities In general, a good time to start buying on a 2 to 3 year view - but you have time to make your purhcases
Fixed income Don’t lock in your money because of high interest rates being offered - investing in equity and gold may be better.
What sayeth our own gurus?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Singha, that was an excellent post.
my personal opinion is one should do non-management for atleast 10 years (i.e. in the trenchesdoing whatever needs to get done) before going into people manager or marketing/sales roles and it is at this point, should one decide to change role that a Mba can be helpful.

instead we have people with 2-4 yrs of 'experience' (30% of time spent in non-work tulla activities) armed with an Mba, wearing blue suits and analyzing business plans and 'presenting'
to CxO decision maker types. we have them taking huge risks with other people's hard fought
money in mutual funds and hedge funds as tyro 'managers' . and they are supposed to be
above the blame if things blow up due to their own mistakes and greed.
Even at a low level work in a pure SDLC of application development, we had disaster with Harvard outputs as business analysts and requirements managers. The technical team ended up re-writing the entire requirements.

However, there are some very useful traits for these folks. They have very good presentation skills and the problem is the content. They can put slide shown in minutes for any presentations and I guess they are trained very well in this aspect. Due to their percieved greatness/demand or aura, they tend to think that their content is best and do not consider the opinions of 15+ years of technical expertise when they fomulate decision making presentations. These are the folks who come up with solutions of conceving a baby in one month using nine women.

I believe they have some special skills but not worth the payments and the hype. If they are treated like any other soul the world would have been better place to live.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

indeed a lot of these pushy suited-booted types are "verbally smart" and very good angrezi/ppt skills but not exactly the sharpest pencils in intellectuality. some are good in grey matter too but
lack domain experience to make the right calls.

what the Mba mania has done is delink domain expertise from sales/marketing/CxO types. people with good presentation skills, ability to analyze balance sheets, good ppts and Mba from top school is supposed to be enough to market/business develop/sell/strategize *anything*

at the GMS/SVP level its even more a circus due to old boy networks in strong flow. we have
GMs from FMCG sector moving to selling planes and then moving to selling insurance and so on.
the merry go round never stops and tenure is haram.

btw a huge number of desis in amirkhan are allegedly doing exec MBAs these days to become
"product managers" and gain "visibility at CxO level, do strategic things" etc. my friend was saying they are going for everything between mit sloan(@$120k fees) and babson college in MA which is known only in MA maybe.

problem is going to be - there aint so many products to manage. just like there aint enough
need for 2,500,000 ibankers :((
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote: pushy suited-booted types are "verbally smart" and very good angrezi/ppt skills but not exactly the sharpest pencils in intellectuality.
people with good presentation skills, ability to analyze balance sheets, good ppts and Mba from top school is supposed to be enough to market/business develop/sell/strategize *anything*
at the GMS/SVP level its even more a circus due to old boy networks in strong flow.
my friend was saying they are going for everything between mit sloan(@$120k fees)
we had disaster with Harvard outputs as business analysts
germany and japan tell me if the Mba cultis worshipped there same way as the US-UK-India combine
(answer is yes.I had quite a few Oieropean, esp German and the requisite Japanese contingent in my class)
instead we have people with 2-4 yrs of 'experience' (30% of time spent in non-work tulla activities) armed with an Mba, wearing blue suits and analyzing business plans and 'presenting'
to CxO decision maker types. we have them taking huge risks with other people's hard fought
money in mutual funds and hedge funds as tyro 'managers' . and they are supposed to be
above the blame if things blow up due to their own mistakes and greed.
:(( :(( :(( :((
it dovetails very well in indians' cultural desire to let the "lower elements" do the grunt work
while he/she is a "manager" just guiding/strategizing/managing things from a distance without
getting the hands dirty.
:(( :(( .. Ouch!.. BVR missiles launched at me.. RWR goes woot..woot..
Nayak wrote:I have worked with these so called IIM passouts. I never saw anything special about them. This whole MBA thingee looks like a scam to me. Drum up positive vibes about a degree, make it exclusive and expensive, public falls for it, there is a rush to join the degree
:(( :(( :((
Vina wrote:. THOSE GRAPES ARE SOUR
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well even a dark lord like you would agree that compensation had got out of hand in the last 5 years. now that profits have cratered, whos going to pay for the cigars and wine? not the employer - their chaddis are on fire and some dont have any savings left (unlike some prudent real cos in the brick and mortar world)

people were into "ponzi schemes" on many fronts and getting their cut like a well oiled mafia street machinery. :mrgreen:

to use a Shiv'esque analogy, we doves were just trying to survive all this hawk behaviour,
quiet little dhimmis hiding in the woods and foraging for wild potatoes and worms. now we see
the hawk's nest is on fire and one wing is burnt......we doves are crawling out and moving in
for the kill now :twisted:
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote: their chaddis are on fire and some dont have any savings left (unlike some prudent real cos in the brick and mortar world)
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .

That is really funny , coming from someone who works for a gee whiz high flying "new economy" company with a fat balance sheet , strong cash position and sitting pretty, compared to all those "real companies" (like Ford, GM, and a plethora of others in multiple industries) ,with a history stretching back nearly 100 years, who are now on their knees, begging for bailouts!. :twisted:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

new_economy1.0 = something real is produced whether it be sw or hw or medicines or thermal imagers.

new_economy2.0 = wall street, canary wharf londonistan :mrgreen:

this is one instance where installing the latest update is best not done.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Singha, I suggest you yourself do MBA. It will cure you of your loathing when you join us high flying types :lol:

I personally believe that only people with at least 2 years experience should sit for MBA. Otherwise, MBA education just becomes glorified B.Com. :mrgreen:

But seriously, MBA does give a 'systems' approach to problems, but you need to have productivity skills to truly utilize MBA education.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> productivity skills

:eek: yikes *not for me*
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

abhischekcc wrote: But seriously, MBA does give a 'systems' approach to problems, but you need to have productivity skills to truly utilize MBA education.
Spoken like an MBA.
bhavin
BRFite

Post by bhavin »

abhischekcc wrote:Singha, I suggest you yourself do MBA. It will cure you of your loathing when you join us high flying types :lol:

I personally believe that only people with at least 2 years experience should sit for MBA. Otherwise, MBA education just becomes glorified B.Com. :mrgreen:

But seriously, MBA does give a 'systems' approach to problems, but you need to have productivity skills to truly utilize MBA education.
Speaking of MBA's - Where did you do yours from ?? Do we know the US B schools represented on BRF ?? I am asking because right now I am in the phase where if everything goes alright, I will be speaking the 'systems approach' terminology 2 years from now.... if you can't let me know here - do drop a mail at chickmagloor at gmail

Thanks !
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Come on!!! Most of em MBA coyotes are fraud. Modus operandi of these mafiosi is damn predictable, drop some jazzy jargon, confuse the users, use snazzy ppt skills, dress and talk smartly.

I have seen through their BS most of the time. I have the unique experience of being a non-engineering graduate but having IT skills in financial sector. I have caught many of these MBA frauds with their panties on their ankles.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My senior manager joined as a lowly trader and worked his way through to the position of Asia Business Head by not following their advice.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go figure.....

Ours was the few divisions that was making money for the company...... My advice is tar and feather em and slowly roast their musharrafs over hot coals.....
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

:rotfl:

MBA's vis-a-vis the job market over the times.

Must be accepted.
May be accepted.
MUST BE AVOIDED

Gujju Entrepreuners make fun of these MBA's as representing "Mane Bhadu Aavade" meaning "I Know everything".
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Nayak wrote:Come on!!! Most of em MBA coyotes are fraud. Modus operandi of these mafiosi is damn predictable, drop some jazzy jargon, confuse the users, use snazzy ppt skills, dress and talk smartly.

I have seen through their BS most of the time. I have the unique experience of being a non-engineering graduate but having IT skills in financial sector. I have caught many of these MBA frauds with their panties on their ankles.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My senior manager joined as a lowly trader and worked his way through to the position of Asia Business Head by not following their advice.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go figure.....

Ours was the few divisions that was making money for the company...... My advice is tar and feather em and slowly roast their musharrafs over hot coals.....
Have to agree with you. For a recent graduate, I think it is a waste of time. You need to take an MBA when you have at least 5-10 years of experaince and looking to go into the managerial field. If you have leadership skilles, you will be a good manager, with or without MBA. If you do not have leadership skilles, MBA will not make you one.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

yeh kya khufiapanthi chal raha hai?

If an engineering college can teach you engineering then an MBA can teach you business management. Just as there are good and bad engineers there are also good and bad business managers. Just as sometimes a poorly designed and tested engine can mal-function, a poorly structred product can fail.

If anyone who lacks certain business skills and wants to develop, MBA can help them. It is never a requirement even if you want to be an IBanker, there are other ways you can land into that job too.

Also, 10 years pre-MBA experience could be a boon or a bane but generally IMO 10 years into one field you are screwed and will become inflexible to adapt new concepts / paradigms.

IMO India and Indian economy needs more and not less of these types.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Not to sidetrack the discussion any further but yes, desi origin MBAs and MBA wannabees have major khundak against the firang khan MBA types zimbly because the latter can talk a good game and ooze more confidence than an LeT operative. Whereas itis the desi MBAs who, stuck in back office jobs, do the technical and analysis gruntwork which the front-office client-facing slicksters then take, paste onto rangeela PPTs, drop names and jargon like a cloud of pigeons and walk away with all the glory.......

Can recognize the same khundak overflowing on this thread too....

BTW, desis are smart and alongwith the chinis are all set to take over the halls of B-school academia in another decade. The PhD class - feeder group to tomorrow's faculty - has hardly any firangs anymore.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Satya_anveshi wrote:
IMO India and Indian economy needs more and not less of these types.
Yes, we need more confidence tricksters to con us desis on CNBC to invest more in Ponzi schemes....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All in good humor onlee.

BTW, I was also once bit by the MBA bug, but thankfully enough sense prevailed in me and I realized a$$-kissing and chamchagiri is cheaper and more value for money in the long run. :(( :(( :((
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Singha, productivity skills means engineering, marketing, etc. I see that you managed to get one for yourself.

--------------

bhavin, I am a desi MBA. Did from Symbiosis, Pune onree.

---------------

>>Come on!!! Most of em MBA coyotes are fraud. Modus operandi of these mafiosi is damn predictable, drop some jazzy jargon, confuse the users, use snazzy ppt skills, dress and talk smartly.

Would you believe that my international marketing teacher actually taught the sequence of negotiations to be followed is this - Convince, confuse, or corrupt. :lol:

And MBA jargon is like seasonal cold and cough - new strains keep appearing from time to time :)
I know this because I am compiling a list of MBA BS.

However, I would rate presentation (and spreadsheet modelling) as two of the most valuable skills that MBA teaches.

------------

>>Gujju Entrepreuners make fun of these MBA's as representing "Mane Bhadu Aavade" meaning "I Know everything".

Most MBAs, especially from prestigious universities, cannot do anything if it is not presented is case study format. There is a direct correlation between how much fees you pay and how much bullshit you can spout after the (mis)education. :wink:

------------------

>>Have to agree with you. For a recent graduate, I think it is a waste of time. You need to take an MBA when you have at least 5-10 years of experaince and looking to go into the managerial field.

That's true unless you try to run your own business. Then you can join in a shorter time.

>>If you do not have leadership skilles, MBA will not make you one.
Most people mistake what an MBA is supposed to be. Peter Drucker (father of management) said that MBA is a liberal art - IOW, you learn some skills (technical or otherwise), but how you apply them is left to you. Most MBA institutes miss out on that.

MBA education is weak on implemention, but for planning, strategy, big picture stuff, etc, it is very helpful.

PS. Sometimes, I think the best take-away of an MBA education is how not to trust another MBA :mrgreen:

-------------

>>IMO India and Indian economy needs more and not less of these types.

Bless you. Engineering is too important to be left engineers alone. :twisted:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

RAGHURAM RAJAN --> ANOTHER MBA!, from IIM A , no less .. (roast him alive) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

vsudhir wrote: desi origin MBAs and MBA wannabees have major khundak against the firang khan MBA types zimbly because the latter can talk a good game and ooze more confidence than an LeT operative.
Oh.. That is for the meek "non accented" , vegetarian, non drinking smoking Yindoos from desh.. For the other type , the "accented"(I lost my "native amir khan" accent and went "native desi" again only over the past 6 months or so, after a lot of work and constant ribbing by SHQ!), meat eating, "drinking" and massive ability to schmooze type, that was never a problem. It is actually quite easy run with the hares and hunt with the hounds. What I discovered after coming back to desh is that the local Yindoos are incredibly "cunning" onree and are pretty street smart and incredibly "challoo" in sales and marketing. Many of those types are very successful in Videsh too, they just need a "little grooming" and walk the walk and talk the talk a little bit differently. Most of all , they need to get the ability to do "small talk ", which is an absent skill. In desh, it is mostly direct to the point and "wham bham, thank you maam".
Sagar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sagar »

Unless you are an Ambani, an MBA is most likely to ensure that you work for someone else.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

abhischekcc wrote:bhavin, I am a desi MBA. Did from Symbiosis, Pune onree.
Ah.. Good. Reminds me on an instance that happened with me. There was a wet behind the ears, freshly minted kid from Symbiosis (if I remember correctly.. but he kept talking about Mumbai and how I should move there , because it was "so great", esp South Mumbai, yada yada, is there a Mgmt School in Mumbai . No he was not from Bajaj). That kid and I generally used to chat about all things in life in general and once he came up to me and said ..

'We dont do any strategy in India!" !! . I told him all things in life is strategy!. He didn't believe me. So I opened the news paper that day and asked him to read the head lines. Among the prominent ones was,

"Kannada Organizations Vandalize the Innovative Multiplex in Ring Road" . So I ask him what was going on with that. His answer was "Oh.. a bunch of ruffians, creating chaos " ! So I ask him again, do you see any "strategy" ?. Do you get an answer to your question ? .

He couldn't. Why dont you give it a shot, at least to cover your school's H&D :wink: ?
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

bhavin wrote:
abhischekcc wrote:Singha, I suggest you yourself do MBA. It will cure you of your loathing when you join us high flying types :lol:

Speaking of MBA's - Where did you do yours from ?? Do we know the US B schools represented on BRF ?? I am asking because right now I am in the phase where if everything goes alright, I will be speaking the 'systems approach' terminology 2 years from now.... if you can't let me know here - do drop a mail at chickmagloor at gmail

Thanks !
AoA & jeehard pee upon these dissing-MBAs, yet secretly-wannabe-MBA types
CAT results shud be out in a few days....
Its often fun to see the whiskey-swilling, xbox-playing, MBA-dissing, secretly-preparing-for-CAT kuffar turn into true blue talibs once the eye-eye-yum calls come..

Mullah Abh-i-shek, all the best, may you also become a true talib with 'system's approach'
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

I thought he would somehow be able to cling on. I guess not and so he falls...

Satyam chairman Ramalinga Raju resigns
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

^^^
Raju has written a letter to the board giving details of the balance sheet. Balance Sheet has inflated cash balances of Rs 5040 crore and accrued interest of Rs 376 crore is non-existent. Rs 1230 crore was arranged to Satyam and is not reflected in the books.
There goes another MBA :twisted:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

OK enough futile MBA bashing. India needs all cylinders to work.

Vina you of all people!

X-posted...
Ameet wrote:NYT Op-Ed: The Next World Order

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/opini ... dia&st=cse

CHINA and India are in a struggle for a top rung on the ladder of world power, but their approaches to the state and to power could not be more different.

Two days after last month’s terrorist attack on Mumbai, I met with a Chinese friend who was visiting India on business. He was shocked as much by the transparent and competitive minute-by-minute reporting of the attack by India’s dozens of news channels as by the ineffectual response of the government. He had seen a middle-class housewife on national television tell a reporter that the Indian commandos delayed in engaging the terrorists because they were too busy guarding political big shots. He asked how the woman could get away with such a statement.

I explained sarcasm resonates in a nation that is angry and disappointed with its politicians. My friend switched the subject to the poor condition of India’s roads, its dilapidated cities and the constant blackouts. Suddenly, he stopped and asked: “With all this, how did you become the second-fastest growing economy in the world? China’s leaders fear the day when India’s government will get its act together.”

The answer to his question may lie in a common saying among Indians that “our economy grows at night when the government is asleep.”
As if to illustrate this, the Mumbai stock market rose in the period after the terrorist attacks. Two weeks later, in several state elections, incumbents were ousted over economic issues, not security.

All this baffled my Chinese friend, and undoubtedly many of his countrymen, whose own success story has been scripted by an efficient state. They are uneasy because their chief ally, Pakistan, is consistently linked to terrorism while across the border India’s economy keeps rising disdainfully. It puzzles them that the anger in India over the Mumbai attacks is directed against Indian politicians rather than Muslims or Pakistan.

The global financial crisis has definitely affected India’s growth, and it will be down to perhaps 7 percent this year from 8.7 percent in 2007. According to my friend, China is hurting even more. What really perplexes the Chinese, he said, is that scores of nations have engaged in the same sorts of economic reforms as India, so why is it that it’s the Indian economy that has become the developing world’s second best? The speed with which India is creating world-class companies is also a shock to the Chinese, whose corporate structure is based on state-owned and foreign companies.

I have no satisfactory explanation for all this, but I think it may have something to do with India’s much-reviled caste system. Vaishyas, members of the merchant caste, who have learned over generations how to accumulate capital, give the nation a competitive advantage. Classical liberals may be right in thinking that commerce is a natural trait, but it helps if there is a devoted group of risk-taking entrepreneurs around to take advantage of the opportunity. Not surprisingly, Vaishyas still dominate the Forbes list of Indian billionaires.

In a much-discussed magazine article last year, Lee Kwan Yew, the former prime minister of Singapore, raised an important question: Why does the rest of the world view China’s rise as a threat but India’s as a wonderful success story? The answer is that India is a vast, unwieldy, open democracy ruled by a coalition of 20 parties. It is evolving through a daily flow of ideas among the conservative forces of caste and religion, the liberals who dominate intellectual life, and the new forces of global capitalism.

The idea of becoming a military power in the 21st century embarrasses many Indians. This ambivalence goes beyond Mahatma Gandhi’s nonviolent struggle for India’s freedom, or even the Buddha’s message of peace. The skeptical Indian temper goes back to the 3,500-year-old “Nasadiya” verse of the Rig Veda, which meditates on the creation of the universe: “Who knows and who can say, whence it was born and whence came this creation? The gods are later than this world’s creation. Who knows then whence it first came into being?” When you have millions of gods, you cannot afford to be theologically narcissistic. It also makes you suspect power.

Both the Chinese and the Indians are convinced that their prosperity will only increase in the 21st century. In China it will be induced by the state; in India’s case, it may well happen despite the state. Indians expect to continue their relentless march toward a modern, democratic, market-based future. In this, terrorist attacks are a noisy, tragic, but ultimately futile sideshow.

However, Indians are painfully aware that they must reform their government bureaucracy, police and judiciary — institutions, paradoxically, they were so proud of a generation ago. When that happens, India may become formidable, a thought that undoubtedly worries China’s leaders.

Gurcharan Das is the author of “India Unbound.”
My take is India's USP was its business class which understood game theory before it was formalized. The INC in its moroness suppressed the business instincts of Indians and kept them bound.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

pradeepe wrote:I thought he would somehow be able to cling on. I guess not and so he falls...

Satyam chairman Ramalinga Raju resigns
Indian IT industry's "control" by Indian players will significantly diminish (from whatever that was left) in 2009. There is no reversing of IT jobs but the control surely will and that is not good in the long term. Satyam going IBM way at thowaway price is entirely plausible; HP is already chewing onto EDS so can be ruled out.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this guy needs significant jail time. maybe he can do a harvard MBA by distance edu during that spell. the CFO
and some accounts dept people would also be headed for
jail or absconding/suicide now.

rediff

Ramalinga Raju resigns, reveals shocking details

January 07, 2009 11:35 IST
Last Updated: January 07, 2009 12:23 IST

Under attack over $1.6 billion acquisition fiasco of firms promoted by his family Satyam [Get Quote] Computer Chairman B Ramalinga Raju on Wednesday resigned and said he would subject himself to the "laws of land".

Minutes later, the company also announced resignation of its managing director B Rama Raju.

In a letter to the board, Raju has given balance sheet details. In a shocking revelation, he has said that the balance sheet details over the years was fictitious.

The balance sheet has inflated cash balances of Rs 5,040 crore (Rs 50.40 billion) and accrued interest of Rs 376 crore (Rs 3.76 billion) is non-existent. Rs 1,230 crore (Rs 12.30 billion) was arranged to Satyam and is not reflected in the books.

He admitted that second quarter numbers were inflated to Rs 2,700 crore (Rs 27 billion) when the actual figure was Rs 2112 crore (Rs 21.12 billion). He also said that other board member were unaware of the real numbers.

He admitted that the accounts manipulation started a few years ago. The attempts to stop manipulation failed, he said in his confession. :rotfl: (non state actors)

The resignations, ahead of January 10 board meeting pushed the company into crisis and paved the way for immediate restructuring of the board and the management.

Satyam, considered a ripe proposition for acquisition, was pushed into crisis after Raju was forced to abandon the acquisition of Maytas Infrastructure and Maytas Properties promoted by his son.

In a regulatory filing the company said Raju would continue to be the chairman till the board is expanded.

"Under the circumstances I am tendering my resignation as the chairman of Satyam and shall continue in this position only till such time the current board is expanded. My continuance is just to ensure enhancement of the board over the next several days or as early as possible", B Ramalinga Raju said.

Satyam shares nosedived by nearly 54 per cent to Rs 83 after resignation of chairman, and managing director. DSP Merrill Lynch has terminated its engagement with Satyam Computer, the IT firm informed BSE.

PTI & Agencies
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

profit.ndtv.com

He also revealed that he tried to fill fictitious assets with Maytas deal.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

vina, Strategy is like MAYA - it exists if you think it exists :lol:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Oh. This one is real. Just like the metaphysical "dualism" . Give it a shot.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Ho hum, well, I won't say that it is Bengaluru's answer to Raj Thackeray (and blr does have its own version of RT, IIRS his name also has Raj :) ).

Well, Kannada film makers want theatres to give prominence to screening Kannada films, so state gorment issues order to delay screening of non-kannada films, which the theater owners resist, hence the vandalism to force theater owners to relent.

Since I don't know the time of your reference, that is the bestest answer I can strategize.

Still, I don't know whose strategy you are referring to:
1. Kannada film makers, who don't know how to make movies that appeal to kannada speakers
2. State gorment, which does not understand that hurting the interests of theater owners hurts tax revenues
3. Theater owners, who don;t really have a choice.

BTW, tactical brilliance does not count as strategy
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

I am referring to the "strategy" or more correctly "strategic intent" of the guys who vandalized the theaters.
Hint Is "Porter's Five Forces' qualify as "strategy" (it is from Micheal Porter after all) .. that is a hint/framework because it well know.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Yes, yes, lets have a 20 page Powerpoint presentation on "Strategy of Karnataka theater vandals". Bonus points if you use more than colours and all the animation options in transition and other "effects". :twisted: :twisted: ;)
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

vina wrote:I am referring to the "strategy" or more correctly "strategic intent" of the guys who vandalized the theaters.
Hint Is "Porter's Five Forces' qualify as "strategy" (it is from Micheal Porter after all) .. that is a hint/framework because it well know.
And I repeat that tactical brilliance does not qualify as strategy!!! :)

All I know is some Kannada orgs vandalized some peace loving, soft ***** peddling film theaters. I don't know whether these organizations were women's groups, farmer groups, or some other groupies.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Question is why vandalize ? What was the aim behind that? Those groups were actually Kannada language groups, of course supported by the Kannada film orgs (why?)
How about entry barrier, protecting against substitutes, having "captive customers", protect margins / try to make real profits. does it become "strategy" only if put in those terms?"
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Tanaji wrote:Yes, yes, lets have a 20 page Powerpoint presentation on "Strategy of Karnataka theater vandals". Bonus points if you use more than colours and all the animation options in transition and other "effects". :twisted: :twisted: ;)
For you, the assignment is this. Make that 20 page ppt to make the case and "strategy", why the vi editor is/was successful despite it sucking hard in every parameter with ease of use topping that list and in the drivers to "value" what sort of "value driver" (functional , economic and piskological oops psychological) does it tap.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :wink:
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

On the largest picture, why do parochials of any kind (kannada, Raj's goons, singur) resist any change - to preserve what they have.

Zimble onlee.

Find out what they have is being threatened by change = cause for vandalism.

Kannada language chauvinists fear loss of the following
1. Media revenue
2. Film revenue
3. Cheap cost of living in blr and surrounding areas
4. Identity (vote banks, H&D)
5. Farming/job rights
6. Keeping women confined to kitchen and producing babies
7. Comfort zone

Fill in your favourite grievance in the above list, and you will have your reason. If you are short of grievances and need pointers, please read the Whine thread (not to be confused with Food and Whine thread).

--------------
PS.
As you can see, I have listed the reasons in bullets. MBA ejukashun is handy in BRF discussions at least. :mrgreen:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Problem is they were not trying to "preserve" anything, but "gain" something. :lol: . So does that become "strategy"?
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Well, that I had answered some posts back itself - access for Kannada films in the theaters. But in the long run this 'strategy' is likely to backfire because Kannada films will not be watched by a lot of people in Bengaluru, and sick film theaters will mean no more films - Kannada and non-Kannada.

The long term answer to Kannada film makers is to make films people would want to watch. But they are too unimaginative to try something as simple as hard work. Just like the pakis.

This is why I had included the caveat that tactical brilliance does not equal strategy.

Anyway, time for me to go. Any questions will be answered later.