Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Jagan »

Kancha, There are a couple at Pune RS too. will post the pics when i find them. Nakul Shah used to have a site where he tracked all these railway station plaques. I had sent him those pictures years ago. but the site is down now.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

An Indian Army Bagpipe Band

Photographs taken at Jammu in April 2009.

Right, the Army Band: Bagpipers of The 18 Grenadiers of Indian Army.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Here is my first attempt of Modelling the IAF. A little work remains to be done. Please let me know if the images can be put up in the gallery.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Excellent looking warbird 8) . Did you print the decals yourself? :)
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Thanx Jagan,
Are all those plaques only pertaining to the 1965 War or the railways did the same for any other campaigns also?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

kancha wrote:I recently saw these commemorative plaques at the Dehradun Rly Station. All commemorating localites who were granted gallantry awards in the 1965 war. Upon inquiring from the railways staff, no one seemed to know as to how and when these came into being. Just wondering if anyone has seen such plaques at any other rly stations?
Lt Arun Khetrapal (PVC) Poona horse -- Poona Station (71 war)

----------

Also Lt Col Ardeshir Tarapore
Last edited by Sanku on 15 May 2009 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^ Excellent looking warbird 8) . Did you print the decals yourself? :)
Thanks! Yes, I printed them myself. Took a little running around to find the decal paper and get the prints. :)
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Para's around the country:
Indian policemen guard outside a locked and sealed 'Strong Room', where Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) are kept after polling in national elections at Netaji Indoor Indoor Stadium in Kolkata on May 14, 2009. Counting of votes is scheduled to take place on May 16 across India after the country's most expensive marathon parliamentary elections held in five phases since April 16 to elect a new federal government. AFP PHOTO/Deshakalyan CHOWDHURY (Photo credit should read DESHAKALYAN CHOWDHURY/AFP/Getty Images)
Indian paramilitary soldiers patrol the area of a polling station during the last phase of parliamentary elections in Kolkata on May 13, 2008. India voters cast their final ballots in the country's marathon elections, with analysts predicting a shaky coalition government that will struggle to survive a full term. AFP PHOTO/Deshakalyan CHOWDHURY (Photo credit should read DESHAKALYAN CHOWDHURY/AFP/Getty Images)

-------------------
Indian army soldiers chase people protesting against the election during the fifth and last phase of India's general election in Watergam, 75 km (46 miles) north of Srinagar, May 13, 2009. REUTERS/Danish Ismail
(INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR CONFLICT POLITICS ELECTIONS)
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

shameekg wrote:Here is my first attempt of Modelling the IAF. A little work remains to be done. Please let me know if the images can be put up in the gallery.
From where did you purchased this kit ? i could not find any online seller for military scale jets in India ,all are from western or Chinese sources which i cannot purchase since they donot ship to India
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

^^ This kit was purchased in the USA. However, in India there are some of the bigger toy stores who do have Academy, Italeri and Dragon scale model kits. I know there are some in Pune who I have bought from. You would have to search around to find them in your city. IAF colours though, are almost non existent.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

shameekg wrote:^^ This kit was purchased in the USA. However, in India there are some of the bigger toy stores who do have Academy, Italeri and Dragon scale model kits. I know there are some in Pune who I have bought from. You would have to search around to find them in your city. IAF colours though, are almost non existent.
Can you tell me where in Pune, I have a friend there who can buy and send it for me
Thank You
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Kakarat wrote:Can you tell me where in Pune, I have a friend there who can buy and send it for me
Thank You
Popular Book House in Deccan (Pune) has a toy section at the back. They used to stock scale models. You would have to check for the current status though. I have not been there in a long time.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

They stopped stocking scale models four or five years back. I think it was the only place in Pune where you got such kits. :(
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Had picked up several Italeri kits (nice quality IMO) from Heera Panna Mall in Haji Ali, Mumbai several years ago. Did time-pass during vacation and then gave finished models as gifts to family brats :mrgreen:. Seems like several toy shops carried them then. Should be more now.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

shameekg wrote:^^ This kit was purchased in the USA. However, in India there are some of the bigger toy stores who do have Academy, Italeri and Dragon scale model kits. I know there are some in Pune who I have bought from. You would have to search around to find them in your city. IAF colours though, are almost non existent.
What is the brand of this kit? Maybe I can get one of my own :D
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

shameekg wrote: Popular Book House in Deccan (Pune) has a toy section at the back. They used to stock scale models. You would have to check for the current status though. I have not been there in a long time.
Thank You
Will ask my friend to visit the shop & see if he could find any
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Raja Bose wrote:What is the brand of this kit? Maybe I can get one of my own :D
This is some non-descript brand that I found in a local art-craft store. If there is a Hobbytown store near you, that would be the best place to get kits of non-American aircraft. They have a good collection. I am planning to get my next model from there!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

An interesting photo turned up in the BBC site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8055453.stm

Tamil Tigers parade an Indian soldier that they captured

Hope he was one of the ones repatriated.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Was he one of the 18 guys from Mahar (iirc) who were captured (mostly support staff, clerks, cooks etc.)? Apart from them, the Sikh LI survivor and 1 other, dont think LTTE took any more IPKF POWs.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Can someone identify the assault rifle the soldier is holding? Looks like an AK with a shorty barrel - what version is that?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^ Was he one of the 18 guys from Mahar (iirc) who were captured (mostly support staff, clerks, cooks etc.)? Apart from them, the Sikh LI survivor and 1 other, dont think LTTE took any more IPKF POWs.
IIRC they were more prone to executing prisoners, but I am willing to be corrected
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Any documented incidents where they executed IPKF PoWs? The Sikh LI incident might have been one but it was during battle.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Lots of them,one incedent I read was they put car tyres around the neck of our soldiers and burnt them alive.LTTE has reached their destiny with precise calculation.
ssmitra
BRFite

Post by ssmitra »

Raja Bose wrote:Image

Can someone identify the assault rifle the soldier is holding? Looks like an AK with a shorty barrel - what version is that?
Excellent observation Raja Babu, if that is a shorty barrel then its probably a AKS-74U. I have not seen that in service in India at all. He is either holding a captured rifle to put on display or there is some deeper mystery. This is a 5.45X39 completely different caliber
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ Yes, that certainly looks like AK-74U.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Indrajit wrote:Lots of them,one incedent I read was they put car tyres around the neck of our soldiers and burnt them alive.LTTE has reached their destiny with precise calculation.
That was the incident involving 5 men from one of the Para Cdo. units who were necklaced in a market place - the strange thing is, in pvt. conversations with Para Cdo officers who were present at that time in SL, none of them would confirm whether such an incident took place or what actually happened. Only one of the senior IPKF officers iirc made a very oblique reference to it during one of his interviews with Rediff. LTTE deserves all the 72 they can get and more, of that there is no question. When India's role in their demise comes out after a few decades, it might turn out to have been one of RAW's best exploits :twisted:

What I meant was are there any other documented incidents after the full-fledged hostilities started (with the Jaffna helidrop) where IPKF PoWs were killed by LTTE? The only thing I can think of is the Sikh LI incident where they might have finished off the last few survivors.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

When India's role in their demise comes out after a few decades, it might turn out to have been one of RAW's best exploits
Saar,
Any pointers to how the Kaccha cooked the goose? I had assumed that it was solo SL effort.

Please do reply in the relevant intel thread...
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

I will have to search it again, but there was an incidence 300 soldiers were killed by LTTE while they were having dinner at their mess. IPKF at that time was using SLR while LTTE was equipped with AK47. There was no contest. One of the lessons learned after that debacle was to equip COIN forces with AK47's. As a result things changed in Eastern India COIN ops.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

Baljeet wrote:I will have to search it again, but there was an incidence 300 soldiers were killed by LTTE while they were having dinner at their mess. IPKF at that time was using SLR while LTTE was equipped with AK47. There was no contest. One of the lessons learned after that debacle was to equip COIN forces with AK47's. As a result things changed in Eastern India COIN ops.
Dude, your post is sloppy to say the least - 300 soldiers killed while having dinner at a mess? where did you get that from? Such an incident never happened - unless you mistyped two zeros there.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

You will have to read through the archive of India Today from 1987 that carried the cover page picture of LTTE holding the ID Cards and Helmets of dead IA soldiers.
This will give you some idea...
Clicky
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Baljeet, the figure of 300 killed sounds quite weird. Incident such as these have happened (resulting in 20-40 casualities) for example when LTTE fired on an IPKF camp from inside a hospital (in Mannar I believe?) however 300 killed is too large a figure to escape notice.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Is the Para wearing captured LTTE webbing and wielding a captured LTTE AK-47.

HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

Baljeet wrote:You will have to read through the archive of India Today from 1987 that carried the cover page picture of LTTE holding the ID Cards and Helmets of dead IA soldiers.
This will give you some idea...
Clicky
Boss, with due respect, all that bit about 300 soldiers being massacred in a dining mess is pure unadulterated BS . The kind that the pakis love to propagate so please do not spread such BS as fact. Before you know you will find wikipedia linking to your post stating it as a fact.

FYI I have read through all archives of India Today - the hard copy variety - I have the photocopies of the articles as well lying around somewhere.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Find them, scan them and prove me wrong. This information is coming from someone who was there, a JCO. IndiaToday had the pictures, and story.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

Baljeet wrote:Find them, scan them and prove me wrong. This information is coming from someone who was there, a JCO. IndiaToday had the pictures, and story.
Your JCO fed you real quality BS and you are taking it hook line and sinker. The india today articles have NO SUCH STORY. who are you trying to fool?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Baljeet wrote:Find them, scan them and prove me wrong. This information is coming from someone who was there, a JCO. IndiaToday had the pictures, and story.
Baljeet do realize that 300 dead is >20% of all KIA during IPKF deployment. You might be having a zero too many in your figures. If you have the India Today pics/article please scan 'em and upload otherwise it is hard to give credibility to such a claim.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

There is no single incedent of 300 casualties,don't know where the figure came from.I used to follow the Ops regularly,through media(India Today,they had the most comprehensive coverage,others like Frontline from the Hindu group were more of LTTE sympathisers and used to portray the Army action in a different light.The LTTE's modus operandi was ambush tactics,hit n run,the battle at Kokuvil village was that a search party being ambushed by better armed and numerically superior LTTE cadres,that's why they used the photos as propaganda,otherwise they were always on the run from the IPKF.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

A photo of IAF's Phalcon taken on May 07, 2009

More details available at the linked page.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

cool! thats the first one in IAF colours . the earlier ones did not carry the roundels.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Indrajit wrote:There is no single incedent of 300 casualties,don't know where the figure came from.I used to follow the Ops regularly,through media(India Today,they had the most comprehensive coverage,others like Frontline from the Hindu group were more of LTTE sympathisers and used to portray the Army action in a different light.The LTTE's modus operandi was ambush tactics,hit n run,the battle at Kokuvil village was that a search party being ambushed by better armed and numerically superior LTTE cadres,that's why they used the photos as propaganda,otherwise they were always on the run from the IPKF.
I saw this just now. no way - absolutely no way did any such incident happen. all that one needs to do is refer to the Amar Jawan database and see the dates for the casualities.